in FOTD,Foundation,Makeup,Product Reviews

Product by:

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On April 8, 2013
Last modified:May 20, 2013

Summary:

lunasol skin modelling foundation3 My Crusade for the Holy Grail foundation ends with the Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother going around the block (or blog hur hur!) looking for “the foundation” when I have one staring at me in the face. Its that insatiable curiosity that is never satisfied with what I have and always wanting something better. Bad bad me!

I have a handful (or perhaps, less than a handful) of foundation that I count as my faves and which I am happy to purchase over and over but of that list, I’m going to put this Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation right at the top. Sorry Diorskin Nude and RMK you are in 2nd place in this one.

I first spotted this one when I was having my facial at my regular Kanebo salon, and at the first opportunity thereafter, I picked it up because it was new (back then) and I liked the Lunasol Water Gel Foundation (which I still haven’t told you about!) but I wanted to try something with a little more coverage. I was actually more interested in the Cream foundation but was dissuaded because apparently, it is a bit heavy for our weather, even if it gives flawless coverage. I’m still tempted by it though, so I might give it a go one day. I mean, flawless coverage! Who doesn’t want that! icon biggrin My Crusade for the Holy Grail foundation ends with the Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation

Does anyone have any input on the cream one (to perhaps tempt me? icon wink My Crusade for the Holy Grail foundation ends with the Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation )

For today, its the liquid foundation which comes in a slim, square, glass bottle and the signature rose-gold cap of Lunasol. The bottle is so slim, it fits snugly in the palm of your hand and slots nicely into that space on your dresser reserved for “HOLY GRAIL” products – oh yes, if there is the holy grail of liquid foundations, I might just have stumbled on it icon smile My Crusade for the Holy Grail foundation ends with the Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation

lunasol skin modelling foundation2 My Crusade for the Holy Grail foundation ends with the Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation

The Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation is predominantly a water based product so it has a very light, comfortable texture. It actually has  quite a liquid texture pumped out of the bottle, and here’s the thing. Although one pump out of the bottle doesn’t look like very much, its actually enough, whether you use fingers or a brush.

It does apply a little sheer but yet, it hides what needs to be hidden without looking like its hiding anything. Serious pigmentation doesn’t get covered of course but we have concealer for that. Layering on a little more product actually does the trick too. What it does is blur it out nicely so I only have to dab on a tiny bit of concealer if I want something more flawless. If I just want to look like its my face but better, this is all I need. You won’t believe just how convenient that is!

I have slightly dry skin and this one doesn’t accentuate lines or pores. In fact, it just makes my skin look good and it stays on for hours. I could be out and about in the sun and still look perfect. It does not oxidise on me and here’s the clincher – it makes me look good under fluorescent lighting. If you have ever had to look at yourself in the harsh light of a fluorescent lit bathroom, you will know what I mean. This makes my skin look so good! Honestly, I have no complaints. None whatsoever! icon razz My Crusade for the Holy Grail foundation ends with the Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation

I take the Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation in OC-01 and here are some comparison swatches with other foundations for you to get an idea of shade and texture.

lunasol skin modelling foundation swatches My Crusade for the Holy Grail foundation ends with the Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation

L-R: (1) Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation OC-01 (2) Bourjois Health Mix Serum foundation #51 Light Vanilla (3) Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Liquid Foundation 2W1 Sand 36 (too dark for me) (4) Diorskin Nude 010 Ivory (new formula) (5) Burberry Velvet Foundation Trench 021

In terms of shade, OC-01 is a neutral toned slightly yellow based ochre shade. I find my skin likes the shades provided by Japanese brand foundations. They are a touch yellow yet have a neutral base that fits my skin well. The closest the shade comes to is the Bourjois #51.

Despite it being an OC shade, I find that my skin does look brighter with this foundation on. It is sheer, but it hides redness on skin well, and does a beautiful job at photoshopping my skin in real life.

lunasol skin modelling foundation My Crusade for the Holy Grail foundation ends with the Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation

See what I mean? With just one thin layer of the Lunasol foundation, the skintone immediately looks more even, brighter and it doesn’t settle into crevices nor does it accentuate lines. Minor blemishes are blurred and I could live without concealer if I wanted.

A little goes a long way so although the size of the foundation is a bit smaller than normal ones, it will last you long enough. Zero complaints therefore, except that its a tad pricey but then, most good foundations are icon smile My Crusade for the Holy Grail foundation ends with the Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation Star product, holy grail status, you don’t get higher accolades than this on this blog icon razz My Crusade for the Holy Grail foundation ends with the Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation

In a nutshell

The Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation is a water based lightweight liquid foundation that is light and sheer texture yet on skin, it fits very well to even out skin while keeping it looking very natural. It can be layered for more coverage but a little product goes a long way to blur blemishes and cover redness in skin. I have slightly dry skin but it does not sink into lines or pores and does not rub off easily either. I don’t have a problem with it staying on all day, and it just makes my skin look way better than it normally does. I have no complaints about this one in terms of texture and performance. It definitely deserves a look in and I always reach for this when I want something quick and fuss free in the mornings. I know this will deliver every single time.

Pros: Lightweight texture, Good shade match for my skin, Very little is needed because only a thin layer is required to even out the skin tone, Packaging is sleek and compact, Makes my skin look good even under fluorescent lighting, Brightens the skintone and adds a photoshop quality to the skin

Cons: Pricey

Who will like this: Anyone who is still looking for THE foundation, Anyone who prefers lightweight textured sheer-medium foundations

I’ve had this a while so I’ve lost my box so no ingredient list, sorry. But go, go. Check it out at your nearest Lunasol (Kanebo) counter and tell me if you too find yourself liking the texture and coverage and just every damn thing about it. Because I do, dammit! icon razz My Crusade for the Holy Grail foundation ends with the Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation Forget all the BB, CC, DD creams in the market. This may not have great sun protection (SPF17 PA++) but come on, seriously, do you depend on your makeup base for sun protection? icon razz My Crusade for the Holy Grail foundation ends with the Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation

Have you been using this foundation too? Have you tried the Water Cream Foundation and do you think it’d work in my weather?

I keep wandering around trying new foundations but when I want something that works quickly without fuss in the mornings, my hands automatically reach for this one. It has not disappointed me yet and seriously, SERIOUSLY I don’t know why I bother looking. That’s the curse of the wandering eye – but I’m secure in the knowledge that I have a no-fail one I can turn to when all else let me down icon wink My Crusade for the Holy Grail foundation ends with the Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation

Lunasol Skin Modeling Liquid Foundation Price: RM168/25ml Availability: Kanebo counters at major department stores and salons

Angela April 8, 2013 at 8:41 am

Something better than the Diorskin Nude (my holy grail)?! I must give this a try then.
Angela recently blogged…Loreal Youth Code Youth Regenerating Skincare Foaming Gel Cleanser|Affordable And Mild Face Wash For All AgesMy Profile

April 8, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Yes it is, for me :) I love Diorskin nude especially after they reformulated it last year but this one blows it out of the water for me. If you do manage to try it, I hope you’ll like it too!

aiyu April 8, 2013 at 8:46 am

RM168 for only 25 ml? it is pricey indeed! :(

April 8, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Indeed! It’s the only fly in the ointment :(

Jess April 8, 2013 at 8:58 am

Ok now I really REALLY want to try this! *off to track it down*
Jess recently blogged…Tag: 10 Products I Would Repurchase!My Profile

April 8, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Adambeauty.com should stock it! ;)

Emy April 8, 2013 at 9:03 am

I’ve been looking for a good foundation, and this sounds gorgeous. It’s unfortunate that I can’t get it here in the US.

April 8, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I do like the Diorskin Nude if you want something more easily accessible :) budget wise, I’m still a fan of Bourjois

Emy Shin April 8, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I’ve been wanting to try Bourjois, though I will also have to purchase it online (and thus worry about color-matching).

Actually, I just found out I can purchase Lunasol from Sasa at a pretty reasonable price — and that makes me so tempted. I’m just wondering if you have any comments on the YO shades? My skin tone is reasonably yellow, but I’m afraid YO-2 might be too yellow for me.

April 8, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Hmm, this is tricky Emy. I can’t remember what the other shades look like >.< I think the yellow shades are a bit warmer, so I’d you generally take warm toned foundations then it may work but if you are usually a bit more neutral then go for the OC shade. It’s a touch yellow without being too yellow and doesn’t have a lot of pink in there, unlike Dior.

Cecilia Wong April 8, 2013 at 9:04 am

I was about to get a Laura Mercier foundation but now I think I’ll make a detour for this one :)

April 8, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Try to get samples of both! I like Laura Mercier too especially the Silk Creme foundation. It does have higher coverage and feels thicker on skin compared to the Lunasol. I found a better colour match in Lunasol too but you get better value with LM ;)

Liyana April 8, 2013 at 9:11 am

I’ve been aiming for this foundation for a long time since i saw it used in a makeover in cleo. The model’s face looked gorgeous! Flawless but not flat. However there’s not much review in the internet. But i’m only concerned about the shade ranges. Do you think that MAC nc30-nc35 skintone has a good chance for this foundation? And what is the best way to apply it. Using fingers?

April 8, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Sadly, Lunasol isn’t covered a lot by the English blogs but its supposed to be quite popular among the Taiwan/China blogs (which I can’t read either!) I believe there are quite a few shades and I think you maybe able to get a match. That said, I am not too familiar with the MAC foundation scale sorry! You can use fingers or a brush or sponge with this one. It works well :)

April 8, 2013 at 9:15 am

I love Lunasol Water Gel foundation and this one looks very promising indeed. I love that it covers pores, because I have that problem around my nose area. Darn it! And while I’m totally satisfied with my foundation stash (with some I need to toss), I have the case of the wandering eye too. Such is life!
Lily recently blogged…Anniversary GiveawayMy Profile

April 8, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Water Gel is great isn’t it? Live it for hot days cos it stays on! The curse of the wandering eye. I think most of us suffer from it. Never satisfied with our lot! Tsk tsk ;)

Hanny Daforcena
April 8, 2013 at 9:31 am

OOOO This looks very good indeed – but I’m better off with foundations that have a little more coverage as my skin has red and black patches here and there. ^.^ I recently got me hands on the Nars Sheer Glow (WOOHOO!) and am loving it! Although… the word “sheer” seems to have a different meaning for Nars. Hmmm…
Hanny Daforcena recently blogged…It’s Bold, It’s Purple! FOTD: Monochrome Purple IIMy Profile

April 8, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Coverage is pretty good but its definitely not full coverage. I’m told the water cream version is. I contemplated getting Sheer Glow but have decided not to anymore. Glad to know it works well for you. Is it not as sheer as the name implies?

Charlotte April 8, 2013 at 10:29 am

Ahh the temptation! Looking good Paris! xx

April 8, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Thank you Charlotte! :)

Kel April 8, 2013 at 10:34 am

URGH…….i just bought the Laura Mercier …now i want this too….the things you do to my pocket, paris!!! hehehe….good post tho…and may i say that this foundation makes your skin look fab!!

April 8, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Haha sorry Kel :P did you get the LM Silk Creme foundation? I like that one! Time little bit goes such a long way and the coverage is fab too! Colour matching is a bit of a pain though. I’ve ended up with 2! >.<

Kimmyz April 8, 2013 at 10:43 am

Finally a review on Lunasol Foundation, thanks! I was torn between the water liquid and water cream (the cream is actually cheaper and comes in a bigger size for some reason) so I had the sales lady put half of the liquid and half of the cream on my face. Lol, no other way to see the difference I guess. Went back to my office and it doesn’t seemed like there is any difference? Both felt pretty comfy but it was in an air-condition environment you see. I took samples of the water gel and cream, they ran out of the liquid samples. I tried the water cream yesterday and yes, you are right, not too suitable with our weather! Feels a lil heavy when it’s hot, similar feeling I got with Estee Lauder’s foundation (the only complaint I have otherwise, Estee Lauder is very good too!). So with that said, I am going for the water liquid!

April 8, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Hi Kimmyz, yes finally! Lol it looks like Lunasol has quite a few fans here. I didn’t now about the cream beating cheaper but you certainly get more in the tub, that’s for sure! I think you were smart to test both side by side! I am seriously tempted by the water cream but if it doesn’t perform well in our weather then maybe I better not. I know what you mean by the heavy feeling. Some hot days, I just want to go and scrub off my makeup!

Cynthia April 8, 2013 at 10:45 am

I love Lunasol Water Gel Foundation!!! HG?? I shall try this soon. :)
Cynthia recently blogged…Review: O’slee HD Flawless Rosehip BB CreamMy Profile

April 8, 2013 at 10:47 pm

*high 5* I love Water Gel too! This one just takes it up a notch :)

Honey April 8, 2013 at 11:08 am

Sometimes I get apprehensive when I click your blog, Paris, and this is one of those times! I’ve been scouting the counters for light foundation but have not stopped by Kanebo. Looks like this will be the next one I’m heading towards.

April 8, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Lol! Sorry Honey but you now have another to consider and it seems to get a lot of love from others too! Try to see if they’ll let you have some samples so you can test texture if not shade :)

anusha April 8, 2013 at 11:17 am

many people rave about this..it is looking fab

April 8, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Yep, I’m surprised at just how many people like it too!

anusha April 8, 2013 at 11:18 am

And when you say HG ,i start drooling

Lulu G April 8, 2013 at 11:26 am

Wow this post gets me itching to try it out. I have never tried anything from Kanebo but if Paris calls this the holy grail of foundation, I have to try it! Thanks for sharing!!!
P/S: Looking good with this one, Paris!

April 8, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Haha thanks Lulu G ;) do try and see if you can snag some samples. I like quite a few things from Kanebo. Their products work for my skin generally and the colour makeup is a bit touch and go, but the bases are fab!

Firn April 8, 2013 at 11:41 am

I have been using this faithfully for a year now and I love the finish! I think we are of the same skintone but I have been using OC-02 instead. I do find it a little yellow for me but perfect when I mix a drop into my pink-based sunscreen. I like to make a tinted moisturiser by adding a drop of this to my regular moisturiser + some SKII mask-in lotion too!

I am combination-dry (on cheeks) and I find this texture perfect for the humidity. The cream texture works beautifully on my mum who has mature (lots of fine lines and pigmentation) dry skin. If you want something equally covering as the cream foundation but slightly lighter in texture, you can look into the Impress liquid foundations. They have slightly more shades as well and an even more beautiful finish.

April 8, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Happy to meet another fan of this foundation! :D I like the idea of using this as the base of a tinted moisturizer. I’ll try that, thanks for the idea! Oh and thanks for telling me about the Impress foundations. I’ve been eyeing them but haven’t been able to splurge on them yet but the idea of having a beautiful finish really lures me! Next one to check out, even if I’m a little apprehensive since Impress skincare doesn’t play well with my skin anymore :(

Firn April 9, 2013 at 1:07 pm

The Impress foundation is a bit heavier so it does tend to clog me up a bit if I use too much. I haven’t tried it again since then, but maybe with a light hand it would be all right.

Connie De Alwis
April 8, 2013 at 11:42 am

I’m wearing this today! I only used one pump and I love how it make my skin look like skin but much better. Looks really good on you as well :) It doesn’t look or feel heavy at all and blends like a dream!
I need to give this foundation more love because usually I just turn to powder or stick foundation for super quick or out of home application
Connie De Alwis recently blogged…Supplement Drinks: Yay or Nay?My Profile

April 8, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Yay! You like it too! :D this has been one of the best I’ve used, definitely. No issues at all and looks so beautiful on skin. I haven’t been using powder foundation for a while. Weird, considering I used to be only all about powder foundations!

sharon April 8, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I must say its coverage is GOOD! lol I think the water cream would work for you too if you stay in an airconditioned room 95% of your work day..Now excuse me while I go check out this foundation ;)

April 8, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Haha! Yes indeed! I think I’d have to hide in only air conditioned places if I use the Water Cream one, or look like I’m melting :P do see if you can get samples of this one. Sometimes, they have them :)

Efraín
April 8, 2013 at 1:17 pm

In Mexico Kanebo isn’t sold (well it’s what I know) however Bourjois is getting to my city and I’ll try the Healthy Mix Serum Foundation so my lemming for foundation is satisfied.

PB are you sure the shade isn’t too light for you? In the photo you look gorgeous but paler in my opinion.
Efraín recently blogged…Mi opinión: Lubriderm Protección Solar FPS 15My Profile

April 8, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I believe Lunasol is only available in Asia for now :( overseas, there is a Kanebo makeup brand but they don’t sell that one in Asia. Very complex! As for the shade, I did think someone will raise that lol! It’s hard to get the exact same lighting etc on camera, so yes, it does look a bit white in the photos but if you look at the colour of my lips, its a bit washed out too. In real life, its seamless on my skin, but my photo taking skills for before/after shots still has room for improvement! :)

Candy April 8, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Looks good! A pity I just returned from Tokyo, or I would have headed to a counter to check it out
Candy recently blogged…Haul from Japan (Version 2013.1)My Profile

April 8, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Ah but I bet you got a nice sizeable haul in Tokyo nonetheless! ;)

Jess April 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm

This is definitely my HG foundation, just look perfect everytime I used it :) It just make me feel nice …. without feeling too heavy :)
Jess recently blogged…Review : Vanity Trove Malaysia Beauty Box, Temptress March editionMy Profile

April 8, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Yay! Another fan! :) something so perfect, yet gets so little love out there :)

Evan Chang
April 8, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Yay a foundation review! This looks interesting though, I may go and buy it soon. I wonder how it fares on oily skin…

April 8, 2013 at 11:04 pm

That’ll be an interesting question Evan. I read that it works just as well on oily skin as on dryish skin because of the high water content. Try and see if you can snag a sample before you invest ;)

Rin April 8, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Hi! Wow! Looks so tempting. Haha. I would love to give it a try. You mentioned there isn’t any fuss to apply this foundation in the morning so yay, it makes a plus point! I have combination oily skin. Do you think it will be suitable?

April 8, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Yes Rin, its quite fuss free. I can apply it with fingers or a brush and its quick because it blends so easily and well into skin. As for combination-oily skin, I’m not too sure. I have read that people find it just as good because of the high water content, but I can’t tell you if it’ll turn oily. It doesn’t on me at all. Some do, like the Burberry Velvet foundation but this one just looks great all day long. Maybe you can try your luck and see if you can get a sample before buying? That’ll allow you to test it and see if it works for your skin :)

Rin April 9, 2013 at 9:55 am

Thanks for your feedback Paris! I should get the sample then. See how it works for my combination-oily skin.

lyn
April 8, 2013 at 4:58 pm

This is one of my faves too but I’m not sure if it has received HG status because my skin is so finicky. I like that it’s lightweight yet provides pretty decent coverage. It does accentuate a few flaky bits as my skin can sometimes be rather dehydrated.

I love the Lunasol powder foundation too. I’ve been using this a lot recently.
lyn recently blogged…Blush Fiend: Spring-ing Into Action with My Blush Pick This SeasonMy Profile

April 8, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Powder foundation you say? Sold! :P I didn’t notice it accentuating dry bits but it didn’t settle into lines or make my skin look fake and masky so I had to give it a lot of points for that :D