I don’t know how micellar waters work, but the Caudalie Cleansing Water cleanses well without drying

in Cleanser,Makeup Remover,Product Reviews,Toner/Lotion

Product by:

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On April 11, 2013
Last modified:May 20, 2013

Summary:

caudalie cleansing water2 I dont know how micellar waters work, but the Caudalie Cleansing Water cleanses well without drying

Remember a little while ago, I told you I was using cream cleansers instead of oil cleansers? When I finished up the cleansers I decided not to repurchase but to try instead cleansing waters. I’ve heard so much about these micellar solutions and how they act as all in one makeup removers, cleansers and toners while being gentle enough for even the most sensitive of skins. The most famous one that most would have heard of is Bioderma. I actually have 2 really large bottles of them which I probably should tell you about some day… but you know what. I find it really hard to write about something I find at most average, when its so much more fun sharing about something I like! icon razz I dont know how micellar waters work, but the Caudalie Cleansing Water cleanses well without drying

So yes, my introduction to cleansing waters on this blog will be the Caudalie Cleansing Water because I like this one. I bought this online a little while ago when it was on sale so I think it was something like £11. I don’t know how much it retails for locally but it shouldn’t be too pricey.

Micellar solutions or cleansing waters were popularised by the French so you will see many of them appearing under French skincare lines of which Caudalie is one of them. My skin seems to take well to French skincare in general. I looked around for information on what is micelles and micellar water but its so bloody technical, I need a scientist (will Larie please step up to the task? :P) In a nutshell, in this liquid which approximates that of water are molecules that will bond with dirt and makeup on your skin and lift it off, leaving your skin clean. All without having to rinse with water. This is also known as the waterless cleansing method. But I use this one slightly differently.

Whilst Micellar solutions and cleansing waters are supposed to be sufficient to cleanse skin at one go without rinsing, I use it instead as my first step of a double cleanse routine. I find its better for my skin and this way, I never really need the cleansing water to do an excellent job at removing eye makeup and foundation because I have my backup solution. Its a personal thing and it works for me.

caudalie cleansing water3 I dont know how micellar waters work, but the Caudalie Cleansing Water cleanses well without drying

This product is supposed to be safe for all skin types, including sensitive skins. How you use it is very simple. Wet a piece of cotton pad and wipe it over your skin. You will notice your makeup being removed and if you really do not want to wash your face again thereafter you can do it a few times until the cotton pad is clear.

As a makeup remover, I think this isn’t perfect. Neither is Bioderma, no matter what anyone says. The difference is, Bioderma is more affordable so using more of is doesn’t seem as sinful as using more of the Caudalie. I find if I want a truly clean face (after a day’s worth of makeup to work) I have to go through at least 3-4 pieces of cotton. It works around the eye area to remove my eye makeup although mascara does take more work. It does remove though, but you just have to work harder at it. A dedicated eye makeup remover does the job more quickly.

What I like about this is, although I just make one pass over my skin with a dampened cotton pad, to remove the most of my makeup and the day’s dirt and crap, my skin almost immediately feels clean and refreshed. When I touch it, it feels smooth and clean and cool. It feels lovely! My skin seems to have benefited as well from using a cleansing water, in that it seems less irritated, and less sensitized.

I have come across complaints about the scent but to me, it just smells faintly of grape juice. I find it refreshing. For a spell, I was using this in the morning in place of a face cleanser. I was testing the theory that our faces don’t get that dirty in the night while we sleep, so we don’t really need a heavy duty cleanser in the morning. This cleansing water was refreshing in the morning, and did make my skin feel clean without feeling stripped, or uncomfortable. Unfortunately, I just like splashing my face with cool water in the morning. It wakes me up better than gently wiping a cotton pad over my face so I’m back to using a face wash icon razz I dont know how micellar waters work, but the Caudalie Cleansing Water cleanses well without drying

Would I use a cleansing water over a cleansing cream?

Yes actually I would and I have. Cleansing waters aren’t drying on my skin and not as messy as using a cream. I’ve all but abandoned cleansing oils for the moment because I tried using one recently and it made my skin feel so dry almost immediately. Boohoo! Can’t say I haven’t given them a good run for my money! icon biggrin I dont know how micellar waters work, but the Caudalie Cleansing Water cleanses well without drying

In a nutshell

The Caudalie Cleansing Water Micellar Solution is a watery liquid that acts as a makeup remover, face cleanser and toner so it effectively takes the place of 3 products. I personally use it as a makeup remover and pre-cleanse routine, following up with a foaming face wash because I prefer it this way. It doesn’t work too well to remove all makeup and dirt at one go, so you will need a few passes with a damp cotton pad to get it 100% clean. That makes it quite pricey, but my skin feels lovely, cool, clean and smooth which is very nice. It is importantly also, not drying and not messy and very convenient. I’ve replaced my pre-cleansers with a cleansing water because I like the way my skin feels with it and I am not in the market to find others!

Pros: Cleans skin and leaves it feeling comfortable, Convenient, Skin feels clean, cool and smooth

Cons: Scent may not appeal to everyone

Who will like this: Anyone who wants a convenient pre-cleanser and cleanser in one, Anyone for whom cleansing oils don’t work

Here is the ingredient list if you’re interested.

caudalie cleansing water I dont know how micellar waters work, but the Caudalie Cleansing Water cleanses well without drying

My skin seems to like this better than Bioderma in that it feels more comfortable as compared to Bioderma. Bioderma isn’t bad either but I’m just not enamoured with it like most people are. Some day, I’ll get around to sharing some more concrete thoughts on it icon razz I dont know how micellar waters work, but the Caudalie Cleansing Water cleanses well without drying

Have you used the Caudalie Cleansing Water before? Do you have other cleansing waters that you like?

Cleansing waters don’t seem to be very popular locally but it could well be because the big one (Bioderma) isn’t available here yet. For now, I know of Caudalie and Melvita that both have micellar cleansing waters but we don’t hear much about them. I haven’t tried the latter but I plan to. I hear the one from Vichy is good (no more Vichy here boohoo!) and so is the one from La Roche Posay (neither is this one boohoo!) so I guess trying out cleansing waters is going to be my next big thing after my cleansing oil exploits! icon biggrin I dont know how micellar waters work, but the Caudalie Cleansing Water cleanses well without drying

Caudalie Cleansing Water Price: US$28/£15 for 200ml. Local price unknown Availability: Ken’s Apothecary stores (Empire Shopping Gallery, Bangsar Village 2)

Raquel M. April 11, 2013 at 9:03 am

I haven’t tried the Caudalie one but I have tried Bioderma’s both Sensibio and Sébium! I kind of liked Sensibio but I need something extra purifying and Sébium was too harsh on my really sensitive skin. So I then got one by Lierac Prescription, which I absolutely LOVE, and I am recently trying the one by Taaj – a lot of buzz around this one also! And I’m liking it so far! :)

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 6:25 pm

You know what, Raquel after reading your comment I realised why I wasn’t as thrilled with Bioderma as I should be. I bought both the Sensibio (pink) and Sebium (green) because I didn’t know which I should get and started out by using Sebium. Since I don’t have oily skin its no wonder I didn’t like the texture! I’m using the Sensibio one now and it does feel a lot better :D I realise we get Lierac here so I’ll keep a lookout for Prescription :D

ksuan April 11, 2013 at 9:16 am

Hurray, one up for French skincare :) By the way PB, I know someone who is a consultant for a few beauty companies and she says that French and Japanese skincare and makeup brands place the highest emphasis on quality of all their raw materials, so their products are generally purer than those made by say, American brands.

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Yes! My skin does like French skincare a lot and that’s a very interesting tidbit about quality, ksuan! I do notice that my skin fares well with French and sometimes Japanese skincare so its good to know about their quality standards. Then again, I think it may also have to do with whether the brand is under a large global brand or one that is a little more independant, don’t you think? :)

Angelina April 11, 2013 at 9:22 am

I’ve been using Melvita Fresh Micellar Water for quite some time. It smells heavenly – rose scent. I don’t use it as make up remover; I use it as toner instead because I find it rather hydrating. For make up remover, I am using cleansing milk (few brands – I rotate it daily) because cleansing oil is giving me clogged pores (I have yet to fathom why or how. Could be the ingredients, I think).

Wynnce April 11, 2013 at 10:54 am

How’s this compare to other cleansing water over the market (if you’ve tried any before)?

Angelina April 11, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I find Melvita Fresh Micellar Water hydrating. It is not drying because it doesn’t contain alcohol, and you can use it around your eyes area. If you are going to use it alone (no double cleansing), you might have to go through 3-4 pieces of cotton to clean your face thoroughly. I bring it when I am travelling – no need to lug so many skincare products.

I’ve tried Clarins One-Step Facial Cleanser previously. It has a stronger scent that Melvita Fresh Micellar Water. It leaves a thin film of uh, the one-step cleanser on your face. Your face will feel hydrated. I used it on my face only.

Wynnce April 12, 2013 at 9:57 am

Oh….then I’m hesitating to get this one or Caudalie now…so attempting~

Angelina April 12, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Melvita Fresh Micellar Water doesn’t sting the eyes. I am not sure about Clarins One-Step Facial Cleanser though. Melvita Fresh Micellar Water is priced at RM108 for 200ml. Clarins One-Step Facial Cleanser, I don’t remember.

Btw, if you are looking for a hydrating toner, try L’occitane Angelica Face Toner. It is alcohol free, and you can use it around your eyes area. If I remember correctly, it is priced at RM88 for 200ml. Another recommendation would be Clarins Toning Lotion with Iris. It is hydrating, but I don’t use it around my eyes area. I don’t remember the price.

I have all 3 – Melvita, L’occitane and Clarins. I use all generously because it is hydrating.

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I started having problems with cleansing oil too, Angelina and I narrowed it down to the fact that the oils were making my skin too dry. So cleansing creams or milks made my skin more comfortable and breakouts were less :)

Angelina April 16, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Cleansing milk can be a tricky affair sometimes. If it is too thick and oily, I’d get breakout almost instantly. I have Clarins Cleansing Milk with Gentian. I read review that it’s a good makeup remover. Yes, it does its job but my skin dislikes it. I had breakout and whiteheads after using it. I have no choice but to stop using it. Biotherm Clarifiying Cleansing Milk works for me. The texture is light and not that oily. Currently, I am using another cleansing milk. The texture is lighter than Biotherm’s and less oily than Biotherm’s. So far so good.

Paris B April 19, 2013 at 9:16 am

I tend to break out from Clarins cleansers too having used a few and I think it boils down to their method. You have to use the pat off method when using Clarins cleansers i.e. Apply it to your skin and then use the palm of your hand to pat at it. It turns a little sticky as you do that. Apparently the patting off motion removes the dirt. If you ask me, its just way too much bother so I gave up on their cleansers. They also use the patting motion for the rest of their skincare but at least that’s easier. The cleansing bit is hard and can lead to clogged pores. Which cleansing milk are you using that works for you now?

Firn April 11, 2013 at 10:42 am

I was allergic to Caudalie’s Vinoperfect serum so I am wary of trying this.

A good way to maximise your usage of Bioderma (or any makeup remover) is to use very thin pull-apart cotton (you can get it from Muji) so that you can saturate the cotton and thus not have to pull on your skin very hard to lift the makeup off and use less. I can clean off my entire face with 2 sheets. :)

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Thanks for the cotton pad tip, Firn! Anything to help save money is a good tip :D As for trying this, since you didn’t have luck with the Vinoperfect serum, maybe its wise not to dabble in this one, just in case!

Sharon April 11, 2013 at 10:51 am

Hi Paris, Shiseido do carry cleansing water as well. Just to share with you as you are quite a fan of this brand. I’m using the Shiseido cleansing water once a day especially end of day to remove my sunblock. I find it’s comforting and rest assured that my skin is clean as I’m using cleanser gel not foam to wash my face.

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Thanks for sharing, Sharon! :) I didn’t know Shiseido had it too. I’ll take a look next time I’m at the counter.

Lily April 11, 2013 at 10:55 am

I have this and also the Bioderma one, and for my skin, I prefer the latter. Caudalie leaves a very thin film of something behind, which keeps skin moisturized I guess, but Bioderma doesn’t. On my normal combination oily skin, Bioderma seems to suit me better. My mom loves the Caudalie one though, and she has dry skin :-)

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Based on what another reader has explained about the workings of micellar water, it looks like there is a slight difference in the two, and as you said, the Caudalie one doesn’t remove as well. I do notice it, but because I wash my face thereafter, never using this as my only face cleanser, I never thought too much about it. I find the pink Bioderma works better for me. The green one, I disliked.

Wynnce April 11, 2013 at 10:59 am

I’m almost finishing my Nuxe Micellar Cleansing Water now. For my opinion, it works better than Bioderma in terms of hydrating after cleansing. Their cleansing power is about the same but more hydrating and yet soothing scent. I’m not using cleansing water to remove my eye make-up though since it might be too harsh if I want to make them absolutely clean.

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Lovely, thanks for sharing! I only just found out Nuxe is available locally! But its in Sasa which I hate going into so I don’t know how I’m going to check out anything from the range LOL! I prefer using a makeup remover for the eye area. It gets the job done more quickly :)

Wynnce April 15, 2013 at 7:02 pm

why you hate sasa so much? haha! I’m actually doing some research on this too..for business plan purposes.

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Oops! Sorry if you work for them Wynnce >.< Primarily its the SA that turn me off. They tail you everywhere, don’t leave you to browse and make weird recommendations, usually of brands I’m not interested in to start with. e.g. I went in to look at theBalm concealer. They recommended me some unknown Chinese brand of foundation. The store is a great treasure trove, but their staff spoil it for me. In a nutshell :)

Wynnce April 16, 2013 at 9:36 pm

of course I’m not working for them, hahaha!! I’m just working on a survey that’s within the same industry. I seriously recommend Nuxe, don’t let those irritating SA to set you behind~

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Oh whew! Panic for a minute lol! I’ll bear in mind Nuxe! Most of their stuff sound good!

Angela April 11, 2013 at 11:12 am

I’m a huge Caudalie lover and am actually using this right now. It works so well on me. I have the travel size, and I’m considering purchasing the full size bottle.

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Yay for liking this one too! :D I like how nice and clean my skin feels thereafter. Have you tried other micellar waters, Angela?

AnT April 11, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Waaaaaa. I bought mine at Sasa Tropicana City Mall two months ago at RM100 for a 400ml size :D It’s as good as Collistar’s Cleansing Water :D Love it! *five*

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 6:46 pm

hurrah! Thanks for sharing the price – I didn’t know Caudalie cleansing water came in a bigger size bottle!

LeGeeque April 11, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Yay! We share similar thoughts! I use this in the morning too because how grotty can your skin get sleeping 8 hours away?! (Then again, I shared my bed with the furball last night..)

I’ve used this: Leaves some residue but doesn’t bother me since I hop into the shower after I wipe it off.
Currently using Bioderma – it’s decent but it’s something I want to use up.
I’ve also used La Roche Posay – also decent that I tried for fun.

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Yes, I came across that tip about using this to clean your face in the morning, but I love that splash of cool water on the skin in the morning so I passed on it after a while. I think Bioderma is ok, but then I also realised that the pink Sensibio one is ok. The green Sebium one is meh :P

Sharon April 11, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I haven’t had the chance to use anything French in terms of cleansing but this article reminds me alot of the Mandom Cleaning Express (they changed the name to something else but packaging remains the same)Cleansing water which come in different coloured packaging for different skintypes. They are really effective but i fins they run out pretty quickly n not too cost effective n now i am usig their gel makeup remover instead.

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I remember that Sharon! I have no idea what they call it these days but I didn’t try it. I tried their cleansing gel which also needs a dry hand, dry skin and I liked it for being so effective. Never reviewed it, because they changed their name after that and I didn’t want to confuse everyone LOL!

Darinka DAlessio April 11, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Ha!–it is so interesting that you are posing about micellar waters as I have been researching them too. I just came across a small bottle of the Sephora brand that I had purchased some time ago and have used it the last few evenings for the makeup removal part of my routine. I quite like it and it is refreshing. It isn’t extremely costly either. Bioderma is very difficult to get in the US. To be certain that all of the makeup is gone, I too prefer to go with a second cleanse as well. My skin is normal to dry these days and I think I’d like to switch my second cleanse too. What do you use for your second step cleanser?

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I think these cleansing waters are very interesting! I like how gentle they feel on the skin and how clean my skin feels after that. I do wash again because it works for me (as for you) yet my skin isn’t drying out a lot which is great :) I use my old fave, Vichy Normaderm gel cleanser because it keeps whatever spots that might decide to sprout at bay. I can’t seem to switch to another :P

Becca April 11, 2013 at 1:09 pm

So glad you like this one, Paris! I love this cleansing water–it’s the only one I’ve used and I’ve been using it for years! I agree that it’s not quite enough if you are using this to remove all your makeup and clean your face at the end of the day but that’s not how I use it. I only use it by itself in the mornings since my face is still clean from washing it the night before and i only need a light cleanser to remove dirt and oil from sleeping. If I’m using it at night–and especially after wearing makeup–I cleanse first then use the Cleansing Water to remove last traces of makeup around my hairline and neck and also as a toner, since it’s a 2-in-1. I’ve been hearing good things about Koh Gen Do’s Spa Cleansing Water so I might get a small bottle to try but I really do love Caudalie’s

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Oh yay Becca! I remember you love Caudalie so I’m hoping that if this works for me as well as it does for you, maybe I’d like the Vinoperfect serum too! ;) I have used it as a morning cleanser too and I think its quite perfect for that because as you say, our faces aren’t dirty enough for a thorough cleanse. I just like the cool water on my skin which is why I eventually went back to cleansing but I now use a more gentle cleanser in the mornings. But as a quick remover I think its does a good job, especially if you don’t have access to water (who knows right?) :D

casey23 April 11, 2013 at 1:27 pm

My BSc thesis was on surfactants, so micelles :) In fact soap bubbles are micelles, too! Micelles are everywhere when the subject is cleaning (and also in food too but that’s a whole other subject).. In fact you put together a good statement for micelles, basically surfactants are made up of two parts; hydrophobic (doesn’t like water) and hydrophilic (does like water). The hydrophobic parts gather around the dirt, oil, etc. and form a sphere like figure (micelles) and remove the dirt. Until this part everything is ok! But the problem is I do remember studying intensely about micelles and I do know that they MUST be removed! Some cleansing waters’ water content is enough to remove them (like Bioderma) but some of their surfactant content is high (like Caudalie) and if you don’t remove them afterwards with at least water, they form a film like structure on your face. And that structure is basically soap (remember when I said micelles are bubbles)! So I use double cleansing method as well and recommend it to everyone..

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Ah Casey, our saviour! :D Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge on micellar water with us and from such a technical standpoint too! You’re right about Bioderma and Caudalie. Bioderma does seem more “watery” and my skin feels like its gotten a splash of water, while with Caudalie there is a bit of something left behind which not everyone will like. Thanks for reminding us that that film is soap and should be washed away! I think double cleansing is excellent and the best way to ensure our skin is as clean as can be :D

casey23 April 15, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Ah you’re welcome :) In fact micelles are so much easier to understand when drawn!!! But with words, that’s all I can do!

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 7:10 pm

You did well, Casey :) Thank you!

Claire April 11, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I wish, this one had worked for me, I really like the scent, kinda calming. My skin was all red afterwards and felt a bit sticky (?). I think, beside those two things, it is a very good product, removes everything and leaves a clean canvas.

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 7:17 pm

From reading what reader Casey said in her comment, it could explain why the Caudalie one didn’t work for you. It might be to do with the composition of ingredients that just don’t work for your skin especially if you prefer a leave on solution vs washing your face again after that :) But since it doesn’t work, its best not to use it – are you using Bioderma then?

Claire April 16, 2013 at 2:56 am

nope :D I can’t use Bioderma either, my skin burns a bit after that and is red. I use either LRP or Nuxe, those two work very well for me :)

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Yikes! But I discovered we have Nuxe here so I’ll have to take a look at that one some time! :D

jk April 11, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I am not sure if Neutrogena’s Cleansing Water is akin to this but that’s what I am presently trying out – as an alternative to make up remover.
It seems to work fine in removing eye make up and the rest of the face paint (or what’s left at the end of the day) but after this cleansing water comes the soapy cleanser.
Some times, reaching even levels of super kiasu/kiasi (taking care of the face is very crucial :-D) – 1st, cleansing water at the extra made up areas, then cleansing oil on the whole face and finish up with the soapy cleanser – all before the shower.

jk April 15, 2013 at 5:49 pm

BTW and FYI – I spotted a wee little Caudalie booth-let* at Isetan The Gardens on the “Make Up” Floor – next to the escalators. Was in a hurry so did not get to check the price of stuff.

(*smaller than a booth)

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Thanks for the heads up JK! I like the definition of boothlet! HAHA!

Paris B April 15, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Waah JK you’re so disciplined! I can’t do the cleansing oil anymore (thanks, dry skin!) but I only do at max makeup remover around the eyes and lashes, cleansing water/milk on face and then foaming cleanser/gel cleanser in shower. I didn’t know Neutrogena had one too, but that should be nice and affordable!

Sunny April 11, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Oh wow, our experiences are really different! I’ve tried this one, Bioderma, and the NUXE one. Bioderma remains my favorite and go-to! This one could sting my eyes a little, and my skin feels a bit weird after I use this. With Bioderma my skin just feels soft and normal! You know I’m a BIG fan of Caudalie, but when it comes to micellar water they don’t make my favorite ;) Glad to hear it works so well for you though!

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 10:18 am

Funny you should say that, Sunny. Bioderma stings my eyes if it gets into them! LOL But I have to agree with you that with Bioderma my skin feels a little cleaner. That said, since I do double cleanse, maybe that’s why I’m less fussed about it ;)

Yue Rain April 11, 2013 at 7:34 pm

i prefer cleaning water over the oil one. i am using Bioderma and also the Avene eye makeup remover. i love both. ^^

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 10:18 am

I have heard Avene is good too! I’ll give it a go :)

Hani Lutfi April 11, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I don’t have Bioderma and I have not tried Bioderma yet, I do want to get a hold of it though? Which site did you purchase it from?

I love love love cleansing waters and I definitely hate cream and oil cleansers. I had a cleansing water by Etude House, it was my favourite. It did such a great job at taking off my waterproof make-up and it did good things for my skin too! But I ran out and when I went to repurchase the product, it was gone! They aren’t manufacturing the product anymore, which is a huge shame because the product was so good! Now I’m stuck with my cream cleansers, which I hate because it feels odd on my skin.

I do wish to find another cleansing water that I would absolutely fall in love with. I am planning on trying the Avene one. Have you tried it? What are your opinions on it?

Angelina April 11, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Eh, cleansing water by Etude House? Under which range? I had almost everything from all the range available previously. Didn’t notice the cleansing water.

Hani Lutfi April 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm

It was from the Baking Soda range. It was called the Baking Soda Cleansing Mineral Water, or something like that.

Angelina April 12, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Oh this range. The manager told me that the Baking Soda range tends to be drying. That’s why I didn’t get this particular range. Thank you for the info :)

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 10:20 am

I purchased my Bioderma water when I was in Hong Kong. However, you may be able to get it off escentual.com and its also available in Singapore, if you have friends down there. I haven’t tried the one by Avene but I have heard its quite impressive. Based on the many comments, there seem to be loads of options available locally for cleansing waters, so you aren’t stuck with just using cream cleansers if you don’t like it ;) Do take a look at what some of the other ladies like.

Angelina April 11, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Paris, is this alcohol free?

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 10:27 am

Afraid I’m no chemist so I can’t say for certain if it is or if it isn’t. I looked up some of the ingredients online and one or two appear to be solvents and alcohol but naturally derived. I’m not sure if that qualifies as alcohol or not, sorry :P

Angelina April 16, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I think it is necessary to drop by the shop to try the product. Then it would be easier to determine whether it has alcohol or not. My skin dislikes alcohol. I have a fussy skin.

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 10:18 pm

That’ll be a good idea to try it out first. I’ve just been told the packaging and formula has been tweaked a little but I haven’t seen it yet. The bottle is now a light green.

Emy Shin April 12, 2013 at 12:26 am

I have only tried Bioderma, and I did like it. However, I’ve gone back to cleansing oil simply because it’s more cost-effective for me at the moment. :)

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 10:29 am

I think cleansing oils are much much better at removing dirt from skin, Emy. I would still be using it if my skin didn’t rebel so :(

Tine April 12, 2013 at 6:26 am

I shall get the Caudalie Cleansing Water to try soon, after I’ve finished up my Bioderma one. The only micellar water I’ve used is from Bioderma and I love it. Very gentle on the skin. The only thing I’m not very keen on with the Bioderma one is that it doesn’t remove waterproof mascara well. For that, I prefer to stick to my oil-water makeup remover :)

PS: Michelle from @labmuffin did a very good post on how micellar water works. Unfortunately, I couldn’t leave the link here because it won’t go past your spam plugin :P

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 10:32 am

For eye makeup in general, I stick to a dedicated makeup remover. It does the job more quickly and more gently, I feel than rubbing a piece of cotton multiple times over the eye area. Thanks for letting me know about labmuffin’s article. Yes, I have a very strict link policy LOL But it should just have sent your comment into moderation where I’d rescue it later.

Kathia April 12, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I started off with Uriage’s cleansing water and the moved on to Bioderma’s while living in China where French pharmacy brands are available everywhere and affordably. After litres of it, I’m now using Caudalie which I find is less drying as I age. Also, not all micellar waters are made equal. Some brands like Plante Systems sell large 500ml bottles but they are absolutely rubbish. Micellar waters are a staple for me because it encourages cleansing. It is the only instant cleanser that will remove large amounts of Zinc-based sunscreen which nothing short of an oil-based cleanser will remove.

When I come home, I immediately remove everything on my face (sunscreen etc) with a micellar water. I believe that gentle but thorough cleansing is the best skincare anyone can have. While I do double cleanse in the end, my skin spends more breathable hours thanks to the convenience of micellar waters.

As for oil cleansers, after using them for 9 years, I’ve switched over to cleansing balms instead. You’re right when you feel it is drying, because most oil cleansers have a form (or three) of detergent in them. It may not be SLS, but there is either a strong emulsifier or detergent in there to achieve the rinse-and-go function. In soft water back home, I prefer REN’s cleansing balm, but in London, I realised why Eve Lom’s cleanser is so beloved – it works very well in this hard water and yet gentle on skin. I’ve finished my Eve Lom and trying out Bobbi’s EXTRA Balm Rinse which is good value.

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Hi Kathia, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. Interesting that you didn’t like the Plante Systems one which another reader mentioned is one she likes! I think you are right about how well these cleansing waters clean our skin without stripping off too much or drying it out the way cleansing oils do. I do still double cleanse and I’m going to experiment with cleansing balms soon! (Other than Eve Lom, that is) I picked up the RMK Cleansing Balm and I have one by Antipodes too which I’m curious to give a go. Its interesting how the Eve Lom works better in hard water, as you say. I think sometimes, we shouldn’t discount something just because it doesn’t work here because many of these skincare come from Europe and are tailored to their climate and conditions :)

maryinwonder April 12, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I only tried La Roche-Posay so far, and love it! It makes my skin feel just like you described, does not dries or irritates <3However, I refrain from using it as makeup remover.

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 5:30 pm

It sounds lovely Mary, how do you use it then, if not as a makeup remover?

maryinwonder April 16, 2013 at 6:33 pm

simply as a basic cleanser: day and night, after cleansing oil to remove any residues, whatsoever. It prepares well my skin for further creams, etc. Love it as a “toner” :D

Tried it with waterproof eyemakeup after reading your post to see if mine is good and voilá, it beated hands down my current Shu Uemura oil ^o^
fibre mascara is a different story though….it takes longer to get it off

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Ah so you use it as the second step of your “double cleanse” routine! I like how you do it and as many of them also function as toner, its quite perfect! Glad to know it works better to remove your waterproof makeup! It takes a while for me to remove waterproof mascara but most eyemakeup go off quite easily with cleansing water.

May April 12, 2013 at 8:40 pm

After having bad luck with cleansing oil, I found Bioderma’s cleansing water works great for my oily and sensitive skin. And yes, this is a french skincare brand too :)

Paris B April 16, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Lovely, May :) Bioderma is quite nice, I have to agree. I use it interchangeably with Caudalie depending on whats at hand :)