Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentine’s Day: An Evening of Romance

in FOTD,Lipstick,Product Reviews

shiseido lacquer nocturne3 Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance

Time for another Lipstick Bandits assignment and this time, its all about that upcoming celebration of love and romance – Valentine’s Day icon smile Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance Very opportune that we’re running this one now, because Valentine’s Day falls within the Chinese New Year celebrations this year so I wouldn’t have had much mood to post anything on it icon razz Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance

V-day: often associated with the romantic, and the haze of pink that descends on anyone who is in love and looking forward to a day of romance with their loved one. White doves, pink fluff and general pinkness is the colour theme associated with it. I am however reminded that the hearts drawn on cards are red, and so is the colour of passion underlying the romance. So, instead of going for a pink lipstick, I choose to celebrate the romance and the deep passion of the day with the deep, vibrant red lipstick icon biggrin Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance

I chose the Shiseido Lacquer Rouge in RD607 Nocturne for my Valentine’s Day lip color and if I did celebrate the day, it is probably what I would wear in any case.

shiseido lacquer nocturne5 Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance

The Shiseido Lacquer Rouge is a liquid lipstick that comes in the signature Shiseido packaging and a short wand and a sponge doe foot applicator. The colour is quite thick so it is best to wipe it down the edge of the tube before applying to lips. I previewed this a while ago but never got around to reviewing the product.

As a liquid lipstick, this is one of the new generation ones which are seriously intense in pigment and long lasting without being drying on lips. The last is so important because liquid lipsticks or long lasting lipsticks tend to be so drying. This one however, isn’t.

RD607 Nocturne is a deep red that is almost akin to blood. It is so intense. However, I love it because it reminds me not of blood (how vampiric!) but of the deep red of lacquerware. Ever seen one of those? Inspired by Japanese lacquerware, the Shiseido Lacquer Rouge liquid lipsticks have a high gloss factor and even intense colour. It is almost as if your lips are coated with a coat of red lacquer polished to a high shine.

It is not drying and relatively long lasting. That’s the other reason I chose this as my Valentine’s Day lipstick. More often than not, people end up having dinner and drinks to celebrate the day (nevermind the overcharging by restaurants out to make a quick buck) so you want something that will last through that, and still look good after dessert is cleared away, and you smile dreamily at your partner icon wink Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance Depending on what you are eating, the Lacquer Rouge will be able to see you through till dessert, but only just. It probably will not last you through a dinner of ribs or hearty burgers, or even oily noodle soup, but it will take you through a dinner of simple appetizers or soup, mains that don’t involve you using your hands to eat them, and dessert. Sounds like I speak from experience? Well, yeah I did test this lipstick through some rigorous meals and it doesn’t make the cut for some of them icon biggrin Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance

Here’s some swatches to show you what Lacquer Route in RD607 Nocturne looks like alongside other reds.

shiseido lacquer nocturne4 Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance

(1) Rouge Dior Nocturne (2) Shiseido Lacquer Rouge RD607 Nocturne (3) Revlon Colorburst lipstick – True Red (4) Tom Ford Moroccan Rouge (5) Chanel Rouge Coco Paris 22 (6) Laura Mercier Rouge Laque

Interestingly enough, if you look at the 1st picture right on top, that is also Nocturne Lacquer Rouge but on paper, it has these cool fuchsia tones that aren’t apparent at all on my lips or against my skin. How fascinating!

And here’s what it looks like on me.

shiseido lacquer nocturne2 Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance

This is just one layer of product on lips so I think you have an idea of just how wonderfully pigmented this Lacquer Rouge is. The best part of course with going for a red red lip is that you can keep everything else on your face simple and save loads of time with your makeup! icon biggrin Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance

Besides, aren’t you looking to keep the attention riveted on you? icon wink Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance

shiseido lacquer nocturne6 Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance

So, go with a red lipstick this Valentine’s Day. I can almost guarantee you’ll get all the attention you need icon wink Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance

In a nutshell

The Shiseido Lacquer Rouge liquid lipsticks are high gloss, intensely pigmented, long lasting liquid lipsticks that apply very easily and are not drying at all. Nocturne RD607 is a deep intense red that is very striking so you don’t have to do very much with the rest of your makeup. It will quite easily bring the focus of attention to you. I find it quite long lasting provided you don’t eat foods that are too oily or that require a lot of smudging. It will quite easily last through basic talking, snacking and drinking and for those who are worried, yes, it will leave a mark on your coffee cup.

Pros: Shiny smooth gloss gives lips a lacquered finish, Not drying, Intense pigment, Opaque in one thin layer

Cons: Some of the more neutral colours don’t look as impressive as the strong ones

Who will like this: Anyone who wants a long lasting, intensely pigmented lipstick with high gloss that isn’t drying

If such a brooding, passionate red isn’t quite for you this Valentine’s Day, the other Lipstick Bandits will have some suggestions.

And new to the Lipstick Bandits this time around:

Have you tried any Shiseido Lacquer Rouge liquid lipstick? What would you have picked for a Valentine’s Day lip colour?

I have another Lacquer Rouge in a rose shade that is a friendlier more everyday shade. I liked the formula, which is why I picked something up in a colour I could wear daily. Nocturne is gorgeous, but as the name implies, more suited for the evening and night. Doesn’t stop me of course, but it might stop people in their tracks haha! icon biggrin Lipstick Bandits Celebrate Valentines Day: An Evening of Romance

Shiseido Lacquer Rouge Liquid Lipstick Price: RM95 Availability: Shiseido counters

Musing on Beauty February 4, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Gorgeous, very grown up too. I love those lip lacquers, I need more!

February 7, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Thank you Mariella :) Which colours do you presently have? They are really nice aren’t they?

February 4, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I have this and I love it! I sheer it out sometimes but I usually wear it as is :-) Lovely on you too, PB :-D
Lily recently blogged…Happy Bandit ValentineMy Profile

February 7, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Thanks Lily :D I prefer wearing it as is because I love the shine it has. Pretty amazing stuff even if it isn’t as long lasting as some people like it to be :)

Teri
February 4, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Gosh, you really convinced me on the shiqeido lip laquer. I love the shine and the intensity! You look great with it, still in romantic way somehow, but that lip is definitely attention grabbing!
Teri recently blogged…Come Over To The Dark Side…With The Lipstick Bandits!My Profile

February 7, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Haha I think its a bold romantic look ;) Its a really nice quality product Teri – do check it out if you can :)

Hasegawa Ayane February 4, 2013 at 10:35 pm

The red looks amazing on you and what sexy collarbones you have there! ;D

February 7, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Thank you :D Collarbones – now that’s a first! :D

kuri
February 4, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Gorgeous color on you!
kuri recently blogged…Feature: Melanie Fiona – Change The RecordMy Profile

February 7, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Thank you Kuri :D What would you wear for a Valentine’s Day look?

Catherine February 4, 2013 at 11:26 pm

I have it in RD 305 colour which is something like my-lips-but-better and pinkier :) I love the formula and its crazy pigmented!!! It doesnt stain like YSL glossies which Im not sure I like or not…

BTW from some days Ive been wondering if to get red lipstick and which one. Haha your post is just at the right time :D

February 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I’m filing away RD305 for future reference, Catherine! It sounds like a lovely shade. I haven’t tried the YSL glossies but I’ve worked out that I’m not so into using a lip stain so although they are very popular, I will be passing on them. You have come to the right place to look for red lipsticks! :D I hope you find one soon ;)

Hanny Daforcena
February 4, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Beauty unsurpassed, as always. ^.^

But I’d prefer a bold pink lip if I did Valentine’s day heh heh heh. I’d choose my MAC Sheen Supreme in Insanely It. The formula is a bit like a Dior Addict, but it’s very pigmented heh heh.

February 7, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Aww flattery will get you everywhere, Hanny ;) I don’t do pink very well and it is a very popular colour for sure. Why not do your version of a V-day look then? ;)

Lisa February 4, 2013 at 11:45 pm

So aptly appropriate. I love the intensity and depth of the red.
I always know where to look if I need any recommendation for the right red lippie!
From you, Paris!

February 7, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Aww thank you Lisa – I’m glad previous recs have worked out for you! :D The red in this one is quite something. Not for the faint hearted, but oh so lovely on!

Rocaille
February 5, 2013 at 12:14 am

What a stunning color and formula! I really like the props you used for the photos, Paris, what a cool idea!

February 7, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Thank you Rocaille :D The formula is really one of the best I’ve tried so far :)

Tracy February 5, 2013 at 1:35 am

SO PRETTY AND RED!! You look so gorgeous Paris!! I need to try one of these and soon!

February 7, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Thank you Trakee and yes, you should! If not something this red, their rose tinted shades are gorgeous too. Its all in the formula :D

Larie February 5, 2013 at 2:31 am

HOLY SMOKES PARIS. THAT IS YOUR SHADE OF RED!!!! You look stunning! !!!!!!

Also, I really love your earrings and the first few shots are so much fun!
Larie recently blogged…Hearts Galore! (Or, the Bandits do Valentine’s Day)My Profile

February 7, 2013 at 3:26 pm

*shy* Thank you Larie :D

Sunny
February 5, 2013 at 2:32 am

Oh my God Paris, I need this and I need this NOW!!! What a spectacular red! Too amazing!
Sunny recently blogged…I am a Bandit. A Lipstick Bandit *Insert Evil Laugh*My Profile

February 7, 2013 at 3:26 pm

It’d look absolutely stunning on you Sunny! Get it! ;)

gio February 5, 2013 at 2:53 am

What a gorgeous shade! I love how pigmented this is, and the texture sounds wonderful too.
gio recently blogged…Product Review: Senna Haute Nudes Palette in SultryMy Profile

February 7, 2013 at 3:27 pm

It most certainly is, Gio :D I hope you get to try it, if not this colour, something a little more wearable daily. Formula is very nice :)

Becca
February 5, 2013 at 7:51 am

This is SUCH a gorgeous red on you, Paris! And I know just what you mean when you compare it to red lacquerware. It really is just like that! Stunning–absolutely stunning. This is, in my mind, kind of the quintessential red. :)
Becca recently blogged…And the Winner of the Jouer Bare Beauty Giveaway Is…My Profile

February 7, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Thank you Becca :D I love admiring lacquerware – its so beautiful and once I got to see how it was made and there is so much effort put into making a small item! Its no wonder good lacquerware is so pricey but that shine can’t be duplicated – well except now in this Shiseido lippie hehe ;) Next one to try perhaps?

Arianne
February 5, 2013 at 7:57 am

Holy wow that is the best red for you, Paris! Beauty.
Arianne recently blogged…Lipstick Bandits x Valentine’s DayMy Profile

February 7, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Thank you Arianne! :D

Jessica February 5, 2013 at 8:20 am

Paris, this is the perfect red for you! I love it.

Happy Valentine’s Day :)
? Jessica

February 7, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Thank you Jessica, I loved your Marie Antoinette look too! Happy (early) Valentine’s Day! :D

xin
February 5, 2013 at 8:57 am

looking gorgeous! i love the blue of your top!
xin recently blogged…Storage for small makeup items and lipsticks: Muji Acrylic 5 drawer boxMy Profile

February 7, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Thanks Xin! :D I do too even if its not the most comfortable top in the world haha!

Rae // theNotice
February 5, 2013 at 9:04 am

Oh my god, Paris. This is such an amazing red — and, of course, it looks absolutely stellar on you! This might just be my favourite single lip product from this round of Bandit posts ;)

Beautiful!
Rae // theNotice recently blogged…The Lipstick Bandits | Valentine’s Day makeup & a few pink lip picksMy Profile

February 7, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Thank you Rae :D I can just so see it on you too – it’d be stunning against your creamy skin!

Monstro February 5, 2013 at 9:10 am

Sounds and LOOKS amazing!

February 7, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Its because it is! ;)

Tine
February 5, 2013 at 9:11 am

Phwoar that is one stunning red. I really like the Lacquer Rouge you gave me and now I’m very very tempted to get the one you’re wearing right now. Ooooh enabler! :P
Tine recently blogged…Hello To You From Penang!My Profile

February 7, 2013 at 6:02 pm

*bows* I live to enable ;) I’m happy you like the Lacquer Rouge – it was a much more wearable colour of course – colours like this red can’t be worn out in the day a lot without people asking you if you are going somewhere fancy >.<

Victoria February 5, 2013 at 9:50 am

You look stunning in red lipsticks, as always :-)

February 7, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Thank you Victoria :D Have you attempted any recently?

Tammy February 5, 2013 at 10:44 am

Loving all the colours choices on your arm BUT this Shiseido red is so gorgeous (on you!) lucky you, you might have found your best red!!

February 7, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Thank you so much Tammy! :D Have you found yours yet?

Applegal February 5, 2013 at 10:58 am

Looks perfect on you! Love the 2nd photo, couldn’t take my eyes off your lips! I want to run out to buy one NOW!

February 7, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Haha! That sounded almost creepy but in a fun way :D Did you manage to check this out recently? No need to get this shade, some of the others are much more wearable. I’m planning to try one of the beiges because I don’t usually wear beige but these look very wearable :D

Firn February 5, 2013 at 10:59 am

I did try the liquid lipsticks from Shiseido but I prefer the finish and formulation of Giorgio Armani’s lip maestro. They only have one true red #400 which isn’t as goopy as Shiseido’s and fades more gradually than Laura Mercier’s which left a ring on my lips.

I would probably pair Maestro with Laura Mercier for touchups.

February 7, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Nice to know the GA ones are impressive too, Firn! Since we don’t get GA here I can’t try them as yet but I plan to some day soon ;)

Issa February 5, 2013 at 11:08 am

This is indeed very pigmented! it looks gorgeous on you, perfect for V day! :)

February 7, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Thanks Issa! Too bad that V-day for me will be mostly spent with family because we’re still celebrating Chinese New Year! :D