in Blush,FOTD,Makeup,Product Reviews

Blush:

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On February 25, 2013
Last modified:February 24, 2013

Summary:

guerlain sakura blush Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

This, my friends is the Guerlain Blush G Cherry Blossom Blush or Sakura Blush or just simply “that Asia-exclusive blush that #$(*@#& why doesn’t Guerlain release it worldwide?!?!” This Blush G is part of the Blanc de Perles collection that Guerlain launches in Asia every year, and perhaps also in some selected stores in other parts of the world. I know of this popping up on selfridges.com before this, but I think its disappeared from there again.

So, I know I’m probably not in many people’s good books for showcasing this one due to its limited distribution but… I’m not sorry icon razz Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring The Blush G first came out in Spring 2011 with the release of the also limited edition Blush G Serie Noire which had pinky coral tones and was by all accounts a winner.

This Blush G Sakura is decidedly more pink, more cool and to my surprise, more sheer. Let me tell you how I found it, and if its a must have. You may have to hit up some friends in Asia to help you if its not coming to a store near you any time soon icon wink Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

Like Serie Noire, the blush comes in a smooth pebble shaped compact that despite being a bit bulky, is actually very ergonomic when held in your hands.

guerlain sakura blush serienoir2 Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

Here are the cases set side by side. Blush G Cherry Blossom on left in the smooth white case and Serie Noire on right in its sleek black case. I find this image very pleasing in a symmetrical-but-not sort of way icon biggrin Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring Unlike Blush G Serie Noire that had black casing all the way though, the Blush G Cherry Blossom has metallic accents.

guerlain sakura blush label1 Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

This then is the official name of this Blush G Sakura – Cherry Blossom Blush or Roses de Printemps (which is such a pretty name btw!) Size and weight wise, its exactly the same as its deeper cousin from 2 years ago.

guerlain sakura blush serienoir Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

Colourwise, you can see they are quite different. Blush G Sakura on left is predominantly pink with a cool slant to the colours, while Blush G Serie Noire is decidedly more coral with a warmer tone.

Don’t be fooled by that large strip of bright pink in Blush G Sakura however. The colours apply very light on skin. Here are the swatches I showed you before, where I swatched it with my fingers. Sometimes, fingers don’t pick up color as well as brushes so that was my initial impression.

guerlain sakura perles paradis6 Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

Blush G Sakura swatched Top to Bottom : L-R: Shimmery peach, Shimmery white, Shimmery deeper pink, Shimmery light pink, Blended

Yep, very very light and sheer colours. Now, this is both a good and bad thing depending on how you like to wear your blushes.

When I use my regular Lunasol Cheek Brush N (which I use for every blush) I need to actually layer it on before the colour starts to show up on my skin. I do have quite a light skintone to start with (Guerlain 01 Beige Pale foundation) and even then, this takes a couple of layers for it to show up nicely. If I use a stiffer more dense brush, its easier to get the colours to show.

As I said, its a good and bad thing. Good if you are the sort who likes light pink blushes that you can quickly swipe on and go without making a mistake. Bad if you are used to strong colours and prefer using a blush that needs less work.

These were 2 angles I thought represented the blush best, to show you just how it looks on my skin. I used about 2-3 light layers in these photos (using my Lunasol brush) and you can see that on my skin, I get the barest hint of pink on my skin but it is a very natural sort of pink that doesn’t quite say “Hey look at me! I’m wearing pink blush!”

guerlain sakura fotd Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

In the photo on the left, you can also see that there is shimmer reflected but it isn’t metallic or very bright. It doesn’t accentuate my pores nor does it look artificial. It gives my skin a nice sort of glow to the cheeks, but I do have to apply more of the lower half to see colour.

I can tell you though, that this one is terribly hard to overdo. I know, that’s a strange sort of statement but its a plus point. I can layer it on and on and still don’t look like a baboon’s bottom. The colour is that subtle so its a nice blush to start with if you think finding a blush that doesn’t turn you into a clown is hard work.

I’ve started to really like wearing light blushes. I went through a phase of strong coloured blushes once but I’m now slowing easing back the throttle and wearing light colors (Benefit Dandelion, Hervana and most of my Dior blushes are finally seeing more love! Yay! icon biggrin Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring ) so for now, this Blush G Sakura fits right into my routine.

guerlain sakura blush brush Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

A cute little pink brush is included if you lift up the blush pan. I personally find the bristles scratchy so I don’t use it. I have never used the ones included in any of the Guerlain face palettes. Guerlain may do makeup well, but their brushes could do with more work IMO icon razz Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

Holding both Blush G Sakura and Blush G Serie Noire side by side however, I noticed there were differences between the two. Primarily, this was on the quality front.

guerlain sakura blush serienoir3 Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

I felt that Blush G Serie Noire had a better constructed case that felt more solid in my hands. The black case feels almost like a heavy lacquered case and so does the area that holds the blush.

By contrast, I felt that the white case of Blush G Sakura felt lighter and thinner and less solid. It felt like the plastic that it is. The metallic frame that holds the blush didn’t appeal to me. I felt it would have been better symmetry if they had constructed a white frame instead as they did the black one.

Even the velvet pouches felt different. The one that houses the Blush G Serie Noire is black velvet with fuchsia satin lining. The Blush G Sakura one has a grey microfibre feel with satin pink lining. The microfibre feels less luxurious and even if it could be hardier, a lot of us think with our senses and the fact is that velvet feels more luxurious.

Once more for good measure icon razz Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

guerlain sakura fotd2 Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

Cheeks: Guerlain Blush G Sakura | Eyes: Dior Cherie Bow Smoky Rose Trio | Lips: Dior Addict Extreme in Plaza

Despite the fact I do like this blush and I’m very happy I got my hands on it – what blush fiend wouldn’t? icon biggrin Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring – I will stick my head out and tell you that this is NOT a must have. Shiseido Camellia was a must have. This one is a “Nice To Have”. The colour is easily duped with any light pink blush and if you have deeper skintone, you will definitely be let down as there is a risk all you’d see is shimmer on your skin. But if you like light sheer pink blushes and you have the funds, and you love how this looks, then I think its a great quality blush that is nice to have icon smile Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

In a nutshell The Guerlain Blush G Sakura Cherry Blossom blush is a limited edition in the Blanc de Perles range which Guerlain releases in Asia. As of now, this appears to be sold only in Asia or perhaps in very limited distribution in the Western world. The blush tone is predominantly pink and it is very light and sheer. If you use a fluffy soft blush brush, you may need a few layers before it shows up to your satisfaction. If you use a more dense brush it shows up better. On deeper skintones, there is a risk of it showing up as just shimmer so I’d not recommend this one for anyone with medium-deep skintones. I do like it, and I’m happy I got it, but this one isn’t a must have. Just very nice to have icon smile Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

Pros: Light sheer pink is sweet and gives a glow from within look, Easy to wear and almost impossible to overdo, Pretty!

Cons: Light and sheer colours may not suit everyone’s tastes, Limited Edition and only in Asia

Who will like this: Anyone who likes light sheer pink blushes, Collectors and fans of Guerlain powders

guerlain sakura perles paradis4 Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

Did this blush catch your eye? How do you feel about these continent exclusive releases?

I’ve been around the scene a while and I remember that about 5-6 years back, every brand had some form of Asia-Exclusive item from various collections. MAC ones especially would fetch crazy prices on ebay. But that craze seems to have faded. I wonder if its coming back. I sometimes wish we get certain items found in other countries but having spoken to some marketing people, I understand now that different markets have different preferences and I guess they can’t please everyone! Now, what say you about this Blush G Sakura then? Wish you had it at your local counter? icon smile Guerlain Blush G Sakura like the Cherry Blossom, heralds the beginning of Spring

Guerlain Blush G Sakura Cherry Blossom blush Price: RM198 Availability: Guerlain counters (Isetan KLCC, The Gardens, Parkson Pavilion) Limited Edition: Yes, Blanc de Perles Asia collection 2013

LeGeeque February 25, 2013 at 8:40 am

I’m so totally in love with this! You would know of my struggle by now. Pale as sheet in the morning and redness by midmorning after I’ve done some running around. I’ve been struggling to get a blush to work with this. And summer seems to exacerbate the issue because the heat really does add a lot more redness to my skin :( For now, this blush is an answer to my issues. 2 things, though:
1. This is a must-have if you want a light-coloured blush. In my books, not the Shiseido Camellia because Camellia is extremely pigmented.
2. I still did manage to overdo this :( I packed on 3 taps onto each cheek and went about household chores. After 2 hours – RED! CLOWN! Have toned it down to 2 taps each and that seems so much better :)

Paris B February 27, 2013 at 11:29 pm

It’s great to know this blush works so well for you! You are right about Shiseido Camellia. It’s a strong blush but can be sheered but that can be a hassle. I can’t believe you could over do this one! I have to use quite a it for it to show on me. I wonder what I’m doing wrong hmm…

Teri February 25, 2013 at 8:51 am

I’m still hitting myself on the head for missing out on the first blush! It’s really cool that even the pouch looks different and the brush!
It’s so sad that it’s only in Asia because gosh I want to try it so badly! Loving every picture of you wearing this Paris, you are looking great!

Paris B February 27, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Aww, don’t Teri! *Hands you cushion* Maybe Guerlain will bring it back some day (they really should!) are you able to get a friend in Asia to pick this up for you? (And thank you! It was a lot harder to photograph than I expected!)

lisa February 25, 2013 at 8:53 am

I’ll pass this safely. This is a year of curbing blush wants since I already have my perfect orange, pink, red blushers. Any other must have shades i shouldn’t miss out in my perfect collection? Unless something really, really interesting comes along such as the Chanel Notorious which was a happy surprise and sooo versatile, else, no no no to more blush for me. I’ll still however be drooling over these beauties though.

Paris B February 27, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Haha I’m weak In the face of blush, nevermind that I may have similar shades. Is a disease! >.< its great to know you’ve found your faves in each colour family. Maybe I could do a post on blushes in different families :D

Sunny February 25, 2013 at 8:56 am

This is pretty, but as you said, it is probably not a must-have. It looks great on you, but on me it might already require some building-up. Still, there’s no denying anything that has Guerlain on it gives me a major fangirl moment!

Paris B February 27, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Haha Sunny, we are polar opposites when it comes to blush! For you, I’d recommend that you pass on this and wait for something more exciting. Although you’re right. Anything pretty with Guerlain on it makes me throw reason out the window :P

Applegal February 25, 2013 at 9:07 am

Hmmm! I like the whole look! Love how the eyeshadow, the blush and lipstick work together on you, very nice! The blush looks sweet but. . . For the price, I will pass :P

Paris B February 27, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Thank you, lovely :) you’re quite safe to pass actually. Is lovely but so is the price. Darn!

Kel February 25, 2013 at 9:32 am

I’ve gone thru one box of benefit dandelion & now on a box of Hervana….my blushes last me for years..so although this looks super nice..i think i’ll pass..haha…

Paris B March 3, 2013 at 9:59 pm

My blushes last forever too but it doesn’t stop me lol! ;) that said, I think think can be passed on. It’s pretty but a bit too pricey. Hervana is pretty too!

Reese February 25, 2013 at 9:38 am

I find it hard picking colours from this pan, ending I have to do so many swatches. So I can’t say I like this yet. Well, it took me a year to like bella bamba from Benefit so it might take some time for me hahahaa.

Paris B March 3, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I think it depends on the sort of intensity you go for. For a gentle flush, I use my lunasol brush and for something more obvious I use a dense one for more colour. I love Bella Bamba! Going to use it tomorrow :D

Lily February 25, 2013 at 9:42 am

I tell myself, I have a lot of pink blushes. But I have yet to have one from Guerlain. It’s like my mind is fighting with itself, it’s not funny! That said, I like that chunky necklace you have on. I wish I could pull that off, but that will cut my neck into half, and I’d look neck-less. Hahaha!

Paris B March 3, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Haha thanks, Lily :) chunky necklaces can be tricky but if you find the right one, really fun! I’m not sure about Guerlain’s regular blushes. I haven’t gotten the hang of them, although I liked their previous version.

rinnah February 25, 2013 at 10:10 am

PB you look gorgeous in that final full face look! I adore the whole package – eyes, cheeks and lips. Perfectly polished!!

Paris B March 3, 2013 at 10:05 pm

plue February 25, 2013 at 10:20 am

it’s pretty on you and you look fresh in it!

maybe because it’s a Spring offering and it’s for Asia ( i think in general people associate Asians with fair/light skintone), hence the lighter sheerer colour?

but at almost RM200 i find it pricey, even though I love blushes but other than it being Guerlain, I don’t see the justification of the price, especially after you compare it with the previous release. And if they put more work into their brushes, I have a feeling prices gonna go even higher! LOL.

with that all said, I might just buy the blush, you don’t see Guerlain releasing blushes ever so often right? :P

Paris B March 3, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Thanks Plue and I hope if you get it that you’ll like it :) Guerlain doesn’t usually release blushes, and I haven’t been very thrilled with their latest duo. I also think its light and sheer because its part of the Blanc de Perles collection, which embraces translucent skin and a light pink enhances that.

Nikki February 25, 2013 at 11:18 am

I agree with Rinnah, I love this look on you especially the last photo! The blush is somewhat sheer but gives an “oomph” to your overall look, ok, maybe it’s your gorgeous smile PB!

Paris B March 3, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Aww thank you, Nikki. Coming from the queen of smiles, its a big compliment!

Sukie February 25, 2013 at 11:51 am

It’s really pretty and I like how difficult it is for us to overdo sheer blushes! :) I want to get this one but I absolutely refuse to pick it up from the counter at my favourite mall. :(( will have to try picking it up somewhere else :)

Paris B March 3, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Lt me guess, your fave mall is Gardens? ;) I’ve stopped going to that counter. I now go to Isetan KLCC and Irene is very helpful and friendly so do look for her ;)

Firn February 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I suffer with redness in my face so I have to use a very light hand with blush. Your skin looks absolutely gorgeous!

I currently use Lunasol’s cream blush in rose pink because I find it looks more natural and I don’t like powdering.

Paris B March 3, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Thank you Firn :) I have heard a lot about the Lunasol cream blush lately and I’m quite curious to try it. I’m not very good with cream blushes though. I have to practice more :)

Firn March 4, 2013 at 11:11 am

The secret for cream blush is to blend it with some foundation/sunblock on your fingertips then pat to apply. It’s much easier to get a sheer even wash and you don’t have to rub off your base to blend it in.

Also, the foundation helps to sheer out the colour so you can avoid clown cheeks! I personally do not powder over as it takes away some of the natural-looking glow.

Paris B March 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Thanks for the tip! I’ll go dig out my cream blushes again and see what I make of them :)

Sze Ling February 25, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Gah! And now I can’t get it here. Le sigh… Even if I did get my hands on it, I don’t think I’d be able to use it. I look really weird in cooler blushes.

And I’m loving that last head shot of yours. Fab!

Paris B March 3, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Thank you :) personally I’d say this is a pretty blush but not a must have. Wait for another more attractive one ;)

beetrice February 25, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Really depends on what you want the blush to do I guess – I love both sheer and pigmented blushes depending on the occasion…wants! (and lord knows I could do with a tiny flush of colour on those “looking and feeling like death warmed up, pale as a ghost, and if I use pigmented blush I’ll look like a geisha doll with two red splotches on a white canvas” mornings…)

PS: Love the necklace! ;)

Paris B March 3, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Thanks! ;) you’re right abut the blush. Is also the only way we can justify owning more than 2 lol! I find that with a soft fluffy brush I can get away with most sheer or pigmented blushes. Just depends on how many layers I want to put on ;)

Ling February 25, 2013 at 7:57 pm

ZOMG!!! I know you said this is a Nice To Have but to me, this is a MUST Have…I think I am turning into a Blush Fiend and I blame a lot of #evurl enablers for that :P

Paris B March 3, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Haha I hope you find a way to get your hands on it, Ling :D I think it’ll look fab on you! Being a Blush Fiend isn’t a bad thing … At least blushes rarely if ever expire ;)

S. Drama&Makeup February 25, 2013 at 9:47 pm

“that Asia-exclusive blush that #$(*@#& why doesn’t Guerlain release it worldwide?!?!” That’s exactly what I thought xD
This blush looks absolutely amazing but the fact that it may be too light for me makes me suffer less. It looks gorgeous on you!

Paris B March 3, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Thank you, S :) I think this is lovely but is tricky for anyone with darker skintones. Still, it means money saved for the next pretty thing to come! ;)

Rose February 26, 2013 at 9:27 am

You look lovely Paris! Oh how I wish I could get this in the US! This is a blush I could certainly use. I’m so fair that sometimes heavily pigmented blushes look too high contrast, no matter how careful I apply it. Some days I just don’t want to work that hard to keep my blush from being too strong. I am going to have to beg my Mum to look for this line on her next trip to Asia!

Paris B March 3, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Hi Rose, thank you so much :) I don’t know if it’ll become available in the USA at any time but you can try asking Guerlain USA to see if they’ll bring it in, even in limited quantities :) I hope you get your hands on it, one way or another ;)

Ting February 26, 2013 at 12:41 pm

The white strip looks like it could be useful for highlighting. :)

Looks beautiful on you, Paris. :) Love your eyeliner too! <3

Paris B March 6, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Thank you lovely :) the white strip is for highlight but its much too narrow to pick up colour on its own so I just brush all over the surface :)

Jennifer February 26, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Beautiful blush delight! Lol I’m one of those who has poor eyesight hence making me a good candidate for clown cheeks. If the blush is sheer it will save my life but I prefer pigmented ones. You’ve magical application method. It looks great on you!

Paris B March 6, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Thanks Jennifer :) no magic, just a good brush, I promise! ;) it makes even pigmented blushes look air brushed on :D

pondsandleaves February 27, 2013 at 1:39 am

stop me from drooling… but… I.WANT!!!!!!!!

Paris B March 6, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Did you manage to get it? :D