in Cheap and Good?,Eyeliner,FOTD,Lipstick,Makeup,Product Reviews

Product by:

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On February 27, 2013
Last modified:February 26, 2013

Summary:

Affordable good quality eyeliner pen and intense, opaque coloured lipsticks. Absolutely worth taking a look

sleek makeup colour Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

Colour! How brave are you wearing bright colours for makeup? Just look at that lipstick eh? Kinda scary I’d admit even to myself. It looks neon LOL!

If you haven’t noticed, navy blue or blue eyeliner has been touted as a must have for the Spring/Summer 2013 makeup trends. I’m not one to actually pay attention to trends (I don’t have the time nor interest to keep up) but I have been playing around with the new Sleek Makeup Flick It eyeliner pen in Royal Blue and its been interesting. I even paired it with their True Colour Lipstick in Tangerine Scream which you see in the picture. Scream! What an apt name icon razz Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

Here’s how they look – and you can tell me if you’d ever wear a lipstick that bright out of the house icon wink Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

I did you know icon biggrin Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup I wore Tangerine Scream out and as luck would have it, it was the day when the lift chose to stop at almost every floor to let people on. I started at the top, so there were more than a few double takes as the lift doors opened and people were confronted with a pair of bright orange lips first thing in the morning LOL! icon biggrin Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

sleek makeup fotd Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

Here’s how I looked. I have on here, a deep navy blue eyeliner which was my other pop of colour but I am rather disappointed that it didn’t show up as blue as I expected it to. I used the new Sleek Makeup Flick It eyeliner pen in Royal Blue which you will see below.

sleek makeup colour3 Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

See the blue at the end of the pen? I expected to see that blue on my skin. The lipstick on the right is the True Colour lipstick which comes in a cute little oval case with rubberized grip that remind me a lot of the NARS lipstick packaging. Its got that same tactile feel which actually makes it feel more luxurious than the price indicates.

sleek makeup colour2 Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

The Flick It Royal Blue looks like a very deep blue and is almost black. The tip is rather like that of a permanent marker with a little bit of give so drawing a line is quite easy, and you can vary the thickness. As a colour that is supposed to make eyes pop, I wasn’t terribly impressed.

It looks very promising on the back of my hand. I haven’t really worn a blue eyeliner before this so I was really keen to embrace the trend and for once in my life, be on trend for the season.

sleek makeup flickit2 Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

Left-Right: Sleek Makeup Flick It Eyeliner pen in Royal Blue; Sleek Makeup True Colour Lipstick in Tangerine Scream

However, I realised that on my eyes, the colour doesn’t show up a royal blue, or even navy blue. It shows up just as a dark eyeliner, which disappointed me. I’m going to try another one soon in a bright cobalt blue from Laura Mercier so I’ll let you know how well that fares soon icon biggrin Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

sleek makeup flickit Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

Do you see what I mean? You can barely tell that its blue unless I go up close like this. From afar, as you can see in picture #2 above, its just dark. Quality wise, its very impressive for the price. It lasts all day long, its a nice deep shade and I think if I had this in black, it would be seriously impressive. The pen nib is a little hard and scratchy against my skin though, but it draws a line very well so I can forgive that a little. Do beware that if you have very sensitive eyes, you may find it a bit too scratchy.

The True Colour Lipstick in Tangerine Scream however is totally different matter. Its a bright bright orange in the tube and swatches on skin, a similar bright bright true orange. Its not coral. Its ORANGE!

sleek makeup lipstick Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

See? icon biggrin Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

I quite like the texture of the True Colour lipsticks to be honest. They are absolutely lovely and creamy and apply opaque in one swipe. So very impressive for the price! It isn’t drying either and the colour is super bright and beautiful. I did however find that it settled a little into my lips after a while but it wasn’t drying at all, and to be honest, its hard to find a lipstick of a quality like this in the budget category.

Colourwise though, although I wore this because I have it, its not a colour I’d pick up personally. I think its a bit stark against my skintone although if I were to apply some bronzer and perhaps get a tan, I do think it’d look better. In fact, I think this will look fab on ladies with a deeper skintone icon biggrin Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup I would however love to give a colour like Vixen (red!) or Russian Roulette (another red!) a go, because if they are as opaque as this one is, I’d adore it for a glam red lip icon biggrin Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

All isn’t lost though. I’m going to try layering on some red or pink lip glosses and see how the colour will adapt and change. So, I’m open to any tips on how I can play around with an orange lip – hit me up! icon biggrin Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup

In a nutshell

The Sleek Makeup Flick It eyeliner pen is a pen style eyeliner with a flexible tip that allows you to draw thick and thin lines very easily. I was hoping to have a nice blue as the name Royal Blue implies but it applies too dark to actually notice the blue. Colour aside, I liked the staying power, the ease of use and the depth of colour. The nib is a little scratchy so those with sensitive eyes may find it a little uncomfortable but I was fine. I’d prefer to just get this in black.

The True Colour lipstick lives up to its name, being at once opaque and true to colour on lips as it is in the tube. The colour Tangerine Scream is a straight bright orange which I can imagine will be flattering against deeper skintones but does not quite work against my skintone. It isn’t drying or thick or uncomfortable although I found it settled a little into lip lines. I would love to try a red in this one. I think it would blow my socks off! I like how affordable both these products are.

Pros: Flick It Eyeliner – Deep and longlasting colour, Easy to use for thick or thin lines, Nib is not too soft nor too hard; True Colour Lipstick – Bright opaque colour just as it looks in the tube, Not drying, Comfortable on lips, Long lasting, Affordable

Cons: Flick It Eyeliner – nib is a bit scratchy, Royal Blue didn’t show up blue enough on my eyes; True Colour Lipstick – Settled a little into lip lines

Who will like this: Flick It Eyeliner – anyone who likes using eyeliner pens and who wants something long lasting with deep colour and easy to use; True Colour Lipstick – anyone who wants a true opaque colour in a non drying lipstick formula

Would you wear a lip colour as bright as Tangerine Scream out in public? Have you worn blue eyeliner?

I’m going to experiment with another blue eyeliner soon that looks more promising in terms of showing colour. I love wearing bright colours but I think that Tangerine Scream might be screaming just a little too loudly icon biggrin Playing with colour? Flick It with Royal Blue eyeliner and True Colour Lipstick from Sleek Makeup Ideas on toning it down for better public consumption? :D The previous releases from Sleek Makeup haven’t wowed me much but I’m really impressed with both of these. I just wish they were easier for me to get hold of, because I really want to try one of their red lipsticks and the black eyeliner!

Sleek Makeup Flick It Eyeliner Price: US$7.49 /£5.99 | Sleek Makeup True Colour Lipstick Price: US$6.49 / £4.99 Availability: SleekMakeup.com, Superdrug stores in the UK and various other online resellers worldwide

Disclosure: Featured products were provided by PR for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

LeGeeque February 27, 2013 at 8:40 am

Oh my! (Picked it up from an 18-month old I had dinner with)

LOVE the lipcolour. I don’t think it looks too stark against your skin. But you could be right, a tiny hint of bronzer would definitely diffuse that a little. Hah. Tan? You? You’d just go red and burn. :D The most orange lipcolour I’ve used is True Coral from Tom Ford. That’s the best I can tell you and that’s the bravest colour I’ve chosen.

liyeun February 27, 2013 at 8:58 am

Hi, is true coral from TF dry on ur lips?

March 6, 2013 at 10:26 pm

It definitely needs a touch of bronzer but its interesting right? I’m going to try to layer on some gloss and see how it looks then :D I haven’t tried True Coral but you do know that means I have to right? ;)

liyeun February 27, 2013 at 8:57 am

Tangerine SCREAM!!! AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH……!!!!! *screamin for it was so bright* nice color though!

March 6, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Hahaha you totally cracked me up :D

Catherine February 27, 2013 at 9:05 am

The colour of this eyeliner… gorgeous! I love the combo of navy and orange on you :) Ive been sporting strong red lately with bare eyes and curled lashes- love it!

March 6, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Thank you Catherine :) this is a new to me combination and I’m glad it works :) I love the look you just described. Is so classic and chic!

Becca
February 27, 2013 at 9:14 am

EEEE you are SO pretty, Paris! Bright orange lips really suit you! I wish the liner was more obviously blue, too. I can’t wait to see your review of the LM one though–I’ve actually been looking for a bright cobalt blue, so that’s perfect! :D
Becca recently blogged…The Sample: TATCHA Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil Review & PicturesMy Profile

March 6, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Aww you’re too sweet, Becca :) The Laura Mercier one really stunned me. It’s so blue! I’m trying to get the hang of it first but will share it soon. I believe it’s permanent so lots of time for us to work out how good it looks ;)

Issa February 27, 2013 at 9:24 am

Yes! I would definitely pick up a colour like Tangerine scream because I have deeper skintone. I look better with this shade than red. It looks so pretty and I love it! Perfect for summer! :)

March 6, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Aww I bet a colour like this looks stunning against your skin! I hope you find this or at least a similar shade and rock it all Summer! :)

Teri
February 27, 2013 at 9:29 am

Love the name, Tangerine Scream! It’s very appropriate for the shade and it suits you perfectly! In fact, I love the whole look! Too bad that the liner shows up as an almost black shade but besides that both products seem really worth checking out!
Teri recently blogged…Out With The Old, In With The New! Bellachique Has A New Lay-Out!My Profile

March 6, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Thank you Teri :) Would be fun to see you in a bright colour like this one too! Lol the liner colour was rather disappointing but the longevity is very impressive. Wish it was more easily accessible to me!

Hasegawa Ayane February 27, 2013 at 9:52 am

I’ve been actually looking for an orange lip colour similar to Tangerine Scream a while back. Finally settled for MAC’s Morange. I’ve definitely transitioned from the heavy eye + nude lip combo to simple eyes + bright lip combo. Loving how simple it is :D I think Tangerine Scream looks nice on you PB! :D

Hasegawa Ayane February 27, 2013 at 9:55 am

Forgot to mention how I half gave up trying to look for the perfect orange lippy that would show as a real orange shade on my rather pigmented lips :\ They all turn coral-ish on me lol

March 6, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Thank you so much! I haven’t come across the Mac one but it must be really bright too :D isn’t a strong lip great? We don’t have to spend so much time on eyes !

February 27, 2013 at 9:58 am

I like blue liners. I wear them along the lower lash line and it helps make my eyes look whiter. And look at that lip colour! You look so bright in that photo! I love it on you :-)
Lily recently blogged…A Mulberry Popped My Burberry Beauty CherryMy Profile

March 6, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Thanks Lily :) I haven’t tried wearing blue liner on the lower lash line but I’ll give it a go! Maybe not with this one though. It’s more like a black liner than blue :P

Rose February 27, 2013 at 10:03 am

You look pretty Paris and I think Tangerine Scream does suit you. I say, just go for it and be bold. Just be neutral with your clothing and your face, like you have now. If you want, add some pink to it and you would be on trend (at least in the US). The color for Spring here is apparently called “Poppy” (not sure if it’s a Pantone name) which is a blend of orange and pink.

I wear bright lipstick a lot, mostly bright pinks and reds, but I’ve been known to wear a bright orange. I do have to careful with orange though. With my fair, yellow and pink undertone, it has to have a bit of pink and no brown. As for blue, you posted this very timely for me! After calling all over the US to no avail, I finally ordered Chanel’s Les 4 Ombré in Fascination and Stylo Yeux Waterproof in Blue Exquis from Canada!

March 6, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Thank you Rose :) I’m planning to tone down the orange a little with a gloss. Will report back how it fares. I definitely prefer wearing a coral or at least a lip colour with more red tones. True orange is unnerving lol! Glad you found your blue liner! I never got the hang of colour liners but I guess it’s always worth a try

Hanny Daforcena
February 27, 2013 at 10:25 am

AHHH! I love these! ^.^ Coincidentally am rocking the eyeliner and loud lips look today! Am trying NYX’s Xtreme Lip Cream in Spicy – it’s a red that you’ll be proud of!
Hanny Daforcena recently blogged…FOTD: A Little Spring Breeze!My Profile

March 6, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Haha happy to know you’re embracing the bold red lip look happily! Oh and NYX makes some good lipsticks. I haven’t tried the Xtreme one but if the quality is anything like their regular ones, I’m sure it’s good stuff (and affordable!)

Ting February 27, 2013 at 10:28 am

Whoa flick it was very recently launched, wasn’t it? You already got your hands on it!! eeeek! And the lip colour reminds me of Jessica Alba’s lips in the award show:

I kept staring at her lips on the screen the whole time. Hers is lighter and could easily go wrong. But Tangerine Scream looks more wearable. :) I am all for bright lips, yay!!

Yeah I agree with you. The royal blue liner doesn’t show up as blue. They have a problem with the blue liquid eyeliners too. It shows up just… not so noir… haha

March 7, 2013 at 10:58 am

Ooh Jessica Alba looks fab in orange lips! Thanks for showing me the pic although I agree with you. Something stronger like Tangerine Scream actually makes more of an impact than the one she’s wearing but still, she looks amazing! Flick It is new yes. The PR people sent it over a couple of weeks before it was launched and I’m dying to get hold of more, but the shipping is so killer! I’d love to get it in black :D

Nikki February 27, 2013 at 10:31 am

I would take a double and quadruple take myself if I see lips like that! you have such gorgeous lips and I can’t imagine wearing that color with my kind of lips! My lips are way thick so I think people will not only do some double takes but probably STARE! lol :)

Though the blue liner didn’t came out blue as expected, I still like the deep blue shade that’s not as harsh as black but still can be downplayed as you wore such bright lip color :D
Nikki recently blogged…AMW Reviews: Shiseido Perfect Rouge Tender Sheer in RD304 HibiscusMy Profile

March 7, 2013 at 11:00 am

Haha You’re cute Nikki but I can assure you, everyone was trying hard not to stare. I think red lips is considered “common” but orange lips? Hmm… :D

Tine
February 27, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hot damn that’s a good orange lipstick. LOVE it. Like Geek, the most orange lippie I’ve worn is Tom Ford’s True Coral, but I would so love the one you wore.
Tine recently blogged…Bloggie Wednesday: Preparing Your Blog For When You Go On HolidayMy Profile

March 7, 2013 at 11:01 am

Its BOLD! :D I haven’t tried True Coral but I’m going to take your and Geek’s word for it that its good stuff and keep an eye out for it if I ever come across a Tom Ford counter :D I plan to try to tone down this orange one and make it a bit more wearable. Lets see how I fare :D

Seline February 27, 2013 at 1:02 pm

My eyes! My eyes! Just kidding. Love the pops of colour. I think the Tangerine Scream is fabulous, but you’re right, if you’re going to go blue, go all out.

March 7, 2013 at 11:02 am

LOL!! I think we all need sunnies next time, yes? ;)

Tammy February 27, 2013 at 2:26 pm

This colour combo is perfect!!

March 7, 2013 at 11:02 am

Thank you Tammy! Maybe its a good thing the blue wasn’t too blue! ;)

Makeup Morsels February 27, 2013 at 2:33 pm

ohh I like this a lot! Although I do agree with what you said, that the blue is not blue enough and the orange is perhaps too orange hahaha. I actually think that lip looks great on you, but if you want to make it more wearable, maybe wear a juicy/sheer red gloss over the top? Particularly a cool toned berry type red. I think that would be gorgeous.
Makeup Morsels recently blogged…I Get Philosophical About Mascara | An Ellis Faas ReviewMy Profile

March 7, 2013 at 11:03 am

Its all a little “too much” either way isn’t it? Maybe nice in moderation. I’ll take your suggestions on the lip layering and see what I come up with. A cool toned lip to tone down the warmth sounds like a nice idea!

Wojis February 27, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I love Sleek eyeshadow palettes, I love their blush, I have Rose Gold and it is magnificent. I do like the look and feel and the colour schemes Sleek has. I love the colours on your hand and yes it looks black to me too on you eyelid. Love the lipstick, look great and not flakey or dry at all. Hope to see you using more Sleek in the future!

Grz, Wojis
Wojis recently blogged…En de winnaar is… [win actie]My Profile

March 7, 2013 at 11:06 am

Hiya Wojis! I’d love to try more Sleek stuff but the shipping is pretty pricey :( I do have to agree that their shadow palettes are very impressive for the price. I can always forgive the duds in there because its so affordable!

dani February 27, 2013 at 3:05 pm

You’re right, it’s a shame that the blue eyeliner didn’t come out as blue as the tip of the package. But that lippie! So hawt!
dani recently blogged…Insert Witty Title About How I Really Like The L’oréal Colour Caresse By Colour Riche Lipsticks HereMy Profile

March 7, 2013 at 11:09 am

You know what Dani? I can so see you wearing this lippie, you know! :D

Sunny
February 27, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Paris!!! I LOVE this combo!!! I haven’t tried to wear a navy blue on my upper lash line. I got the new LMdB one, but unfortunately I’m hopeless with that type of applicator and the formula flakes on me. I think it has a lot to do with the way I do eyeliner though (much thicker than just my lash line). Maybe it’s not designed for the weird wacky “crease” that I have! Really really love it on you! Maybe I can enlist the help of a navy blue eyeshadow and do something similar ;)
Sunny recently blogged…My Eyes But Better: Hourglass Suede Visionaire Eye Shadow DuoMy Profile

March 7, 2013 at 11:13 am

Hehe thanks Sunny! :D I apply my liner very thickly too! Due to the shape of my eyes if I don’t apply a thick line, it disappears the moment I open my eyes so its not so visible, but I have a very thick layer on for eyeliner if I go for something dramatic like this – give it a go again and see how you like it :D

Claire February 27, 2013 at 9:01 pm

what beautiful pictures! I really like the orange on you, I also would have expected something more blue (liner) but I like the end result a lot actually :)
Claire recently blogged…Rouge Bunny Rouge Long-Lasting Cream Eyeshadow Batiste GraylingMy Profile

March 7, 2013 at 11:14 am

Aww thank you so much Claire! :D I think the liner could be more blue but as everyone has pointed out, to pair it with something as bright as this orange, perhaps they got it right going for something more muted ;)

plue
February 27, 2013 at 10:30 pm

you look fab and you rock that lip colour!

i think you look good in it, and doesn’t look weird on you. oranges like this makes me look sallow and yellow, and makes teeth even yellower! very jealous of you right now :P
plue recently blogged…Goodbye 2012, Hello 2013!My Profile

March 7, 2013 at 11:18 am

Aww thank you lovely :) I don’t usually wear orange too because as you said, yellow teeth :P So I was a little worried about this one, but to my surprise, this did not make me look yellow nor my teeth! I think its because its so bright without too much warmth in it but its definitely a risky colour :D

Candy February 28, 2013 at 12:24 am

I think the Sleek lipstick looks fab on you! It’s bright, and it’s such a refreshing color to see!

March 7, 2013 at 11:19 am

Thank you so much Candy! :)

gio February 28, 2013 at 6:42 am

What a shame the blue eyeliner didn’t come out as blue as expected. But I love the lipstick. That colour is so pretty and bright! Unfortunately I don’t think it would suit me. Bright oranges like this tend to make me look sallow.
gio recently blogged…Product Review: Owl Hand Cream In Wild RoseMy Profile

March 7, 2013 at 11:21 am

This lip colour is definitely a risky one! But I think the formula is great so it would be nice to try a different shade. Hope to see if you do get the chance to try one soon :D

Coco February 28, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Really love this combo, you look very beautiful x
Coco recently blogged…Cover Girl Divine Lipstick & Blog SaleMy Profile

March 7, 2013 at 11:47 am

Tuti March 1, 2013 at 7:26 am

So pretty , PB. Gd choice and it is daring to wear quite a bright shade of colour. Need certain level of confidence. I have tried red. But orange not yet. For eyeliner, waiting for the LM.

March 7, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Thank you Tuti :) I must admit that bright lip shades most definitely needs guts to wear them out but once you get used to it (and to the possibility of stares) you’ll be fine. After all, orange is just a step away from red ;)