in Challenges,Cheap and Good?,Product Reviews,Serum,Treatment

yrvegetal laneige Save and Splurge: The Hydration/Moisture Boost Serum/Essence/Concentrate Edition

I thought it was opportune for me to share this Save and Splurge edition for hydration serums because hydration is a big thing for me. I’d much rather use a product for hydrating skin than one to treat my dark spots. I know, weird little me hehe… but I personally have found that all skin problems are minimized when you have nicely hydrated skin. So with that in mind, here are 2 hydration serums I tried recently that I liked.

They both aren’t terribly pricey but one is pricier than the other after doing the math, and I also found that on doing a back-to-back experiment, one works better for me than the other. The question is… which is which? icon biggrin Save and Splurge: The Hydration/Moisture Boost Serum/Essence/Concentrate Edition

Save: Laneige Water Bank Essence (RM165/60ml) (Click for Review)

I liked this one back when I was using it. I found it light and hydrating and my skin seemed to like it too. The important thing for me is that it seemed to help my skin feel more comfortable in drying environments e.g. air-conditioned rooms, the beach etc. I am almost done with my bottle of the essence and whilst I was comfortable using it, I have found something a bit better.

I know what you’re thinking. Laneige? The “Save” option? Ah but it is! You see, the Laneige Water Bank Essence retails at RM165 for 60ml. Whilst at first glance its a lot more expensive than the Yves Rocher, it actually isn’t! And you’ll understand why when you see the Yves Rocher option.

Splurge: Yves Rocher Hydra Vegetal Moisture Boost Concentrate (RM99/30ml) (Click for Review)

The Yves Rocher serum only comes in a 30ml bottle so on a price per ml basis, this one’s pricier than the Laneige. You’d have to pay RM198 for 60ml as opposed to the RM165 asking price for Laneige. The difference therefore is that of perception. Because Yves Rocher isn’t considered a pricey brand, its easy to overlook the price per ml comparison.

This one is also light and absorbs into my skin very well, leaving it feeling hydrated almost immediately. At least, when my skin is feeling dry, it seems to “relax” a little once I’ve applied this on. I use it in the day for the most part, as I’m using other products for the evening routine, and I must say that its helping to keep my skin stay hydrated all day where I alternate between a dry air-conditioned office and the hot sun outdoors.

yrvegetal laneige2 Save and Splurge: The Hydration/Moisture Boost Serum/Essence/Concentrate Edition

My pick

My pick is the splurge option i.e. the Yves Rocher. Its nothing to do with the price, but all to do with its efficacy. I recently set it aside and went back to the Laneige Water Bank Essence because a few of you were asking how it compared and I wanted to see how similar or different it felt on my skin.

I found that the Laneige one feels a little thicker by way of comparison. They are both gel textures, but the Laneige one will hold its shape when pumped out. The Yves Rocher one doesn’t and it is slightly more runny. I also found that the Yves Rocher concentrate absorbed better and more quickly into my skin and seemed to go to work more quickly. So, my skin felt more comfortable using the Yves Rocher Moisture Boost Concentrate.

I do think they’re both pretty good products, but my preference lies with the Yves Rocher icon smile Save and Splurge: The Hydration/Moisture Boost Serum/Essence/Concentrate Edition

Have you tried either product? What is your favourite hydration serum?

I know there are others out there, but these were 2 I’d used most recently and felt most comfortable putting side by side. I used to also use the Estee Lauder Hydrationist serum but I’d run out so I can’t remember just how it fares or how it would feel alongside these 2 else it would have been an interesting experiment!

Yves Rocher Moisture Boost Concentrate Price: RM99/30ml Availability: Yves Rocher stores Laneige Water Bank Essence Price: RM165/60ml Availability: All Laneige counters

Save and Splurge is where I show you similar items by different brands that I have tried. They may not work quite the same way, but it’ll offer you options for your wallet for a similar effect/product. Do note however, that it is based on products I have tried, so whilst there are many save and splurge options out there, these are my views and choices. You can find more under the category of Challenges.

LeGeeque January 4, 2013 at 9:29 am

AHAH! My first thought when I saw the figures and did the math mentally was, waitaminuteherewhat?! I always do price/unit to compare especially groceries (milk, bread, juice) the figures do stack up at the end of the day!

I must say my favourite hydrating serum is actually an oil by Ren. It’s the Rose O2 oil and although I’m not a fan of the scent, it works brilliantly in winter. It’s really really oil and takes a while to absorb. An hour or 2 after application, my skin is smooth and bouncy(?!)
LeGeeque recently blogged…4/31: Shiseido Perfect Rouge RD514 DragonMy Profile

January 5, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I didn’t realise it till I saw the figures too. I sometimes do the price/unit thing too and like you, mostly for groceries. Gotta get our fulll money’s worth right? :D Now that you mention the REN oil, I just remembered I’d been wanting to try it for the longest time. The last time, I was told it was too much for my skin but I guess I shouldn’t listen to them haha :D

rinnah
January 4, 2013 at 9:32 am

That’s such an interesting comparison, PB! I recently received a trial sized Laneige essence for Xmas and was thinking to put it to the test for my dry skin.
rinnah recently blogged…Cirque Fascination StreetMy Profile

January 5, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Hope the Laneige essence will work for you! I’m not sure how it performs on very sensitive skin >.<

Tine
January 4, 2013 at 9:35 am

Righto, I’m so getting a bottle of the Yves Rocher serum when I’m back! *adds to shopping list*. I’m always game for a good toing-toing serum :)

January 5, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Haha this doesn’t give me the toing toing feel, but it makes my skin FEEL happier. I guess that’s a good thing ;)

SharonC January 4, 2013 at 10:47 am

Been using the Laneige Water Bank Essence ever since i got 2 free 15ml bottles with the purchase of the Refiner and the Emulsion.

It’s only RM132 per bottle when purchased at LCCT Departure Hall (after immigration). Not sure about KLIA but will check it out this Feb when I’m off to Europe again. Quite cheap IMO for a serum which works for my normal skin (oily t-zone).

Abit tempted on the review you did for the Yves Rocher one but….. lol didn’t want to spoil it by applying a new essence and then not liking the old one. It happens to me all the time.

Frankly speaking, after using Laneige’s Refiner Light, Emulsion Light & Water Bank Essence, my skin has looked brighter aka more hydrated. Back then, it was just so dehydrated that I look tired all the time even though I’m not. That makes applying makeup much easier. :D

Oppps off to ebay now to purchase my 2nd Emulsion Light… it’s halfway through!

January 5, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Good to know the Laneige Essence works so well for you, Sharon :) I really liked it too but when I realised how “thick” it was compared to the Yves Rocher, my skin decided to prefer the YR :D Still, its good to know they both aren’t exactly bank breaking :D

Victoria January 4, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Really tempted to try the Yves Rocher serum but it is not cheap when you do the math. LOL. So your regime in the morning is cleansing, toning, applying the Yves Rocher serum, a light moisturiser and finally the sunblock right?

On a different subject, I have finally purchased the Shiseido sunblock after you raved about it. It really makes my face looks so matte without any shine and I love the look :-). I applied some of it on my neck area but after a few days the area became dry and flaky. I was just wondering whether you experienced such an effect or whether I was not suppose to apply sunblock in that particular area in the first place?

January 5, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Nope, it isn’t “cheap” in the true sense but I think it worth it anyway because a bottle does last months, and I get bored easily so its just as well its not too large a bottle :D Yes, my morning routine is quite simple : Cleaner, Mist, YR serum, YR moisture gel, sunblock.

Good to know the Shiseido sunscreen works for you! I found it drying if I applied it to my arms but I also found that if I use a cleansing oil to remove it, then it stopped feeling that way. I would suggest that when you remove your makeup or cleanse your face at the end of the day to use the cleansing oil/remover at your neck area too and see if it helps? I do apply sunblock on my neck and chest area too and its just usually whatever I’m using on my face as well.

January 4, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I’m getting more and more curious about Yves Rocher. I have to check it out the next time I’m in KL
Lily recently blogged…Dior Spring 2013 Cherie Bow Edition Smoky Rose 731 Is Anything But SmokyMy Profile

January 5, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I haven’t tried any other range but this Hydra Vegetal one is quite impressive. Hope you get to try it soon.

mrsdjones
January 4, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Weee love the new layout and font! Btw I am interested to try the Yves Rocher Moisture Boost Concentrate. Not sure if they have an outlet in Penang though.
mrsdjones recently blogged…mrsdjones the blog: 2012 in reviewMy Profile

January 5, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Thanks and happy you noticed Mrsdjones! :D From the previous post, I think Yves Rocher isn’t available in Penang, unfortunately! :( I’m not sure where they are available up North so maybe you can check with them on their FB page https://www.facebook.com/MyYvesRocher

Anne January 4, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I’ll soon get a bottle of the Yves Rocher serum! Right now I’m experimenting on my extra dry skin with an amazing moisturizer named “Vea Lipogel”, it’s a bit expensive, but it really works for me.

January 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Thanks for the rec. I haven’t seen it around here but will bear it in mind.

Juanneth January 4, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Yayyy to Yves Rocher!!

January 5, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Yay! I remember you’re a fan! :D

shusheshe
January 4, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I’ve been using Vichy’s Aqualia Thermal Hydrating serum. It’s not the cheapest, but so far so good for my skin! I really wished I picked up Laneige’s serum when I was in Korea in November!

January 5, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Ooh I like the Vichy one :) I finished up the bottle but since they’re out of here, I can’t replenish :( I think its really good stuff :D

Amanda January 4, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Yves Rocher is having sale now up to 50% off here. *lol* I’ve never tried any of their products. It’s a common brand here, everywhere you turn, there is a Yves Rocher store. I only use Payot and Kiehl’s serums. I shall check out the Yves Rocher one after work today. I wonder if this product is also available here.

January 5, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Gah! 50% off :( I think you should get it too, Amanda. They launched it worldwide. Actually its really good to know Yves Rocher is so easily available where you are. This year is the year I’m making sure I go there, so I know I’ll be picking up 1 thing at least! :D

Esther Neo January 5, 2013 at 12:36 pm

So true….if ur skin is dry, all other problems will surface. I am using hydra B5 gel from CSS http://www.cosmeticskinsolutions.com/ which is the exact same thing as skinceutical at fractuon of the price and works the same way like neogence HA serum. I sometimes feel less complicated products will bring more benefits to our skin.

Mandy January 5, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Laneige is a lot cheaper on Gmarket!

Jyoan January 5, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I actually find that Yves Rocher is a surprisingly expensive brand. I remember my foray into the shop at Subang Parad… … I got scared out of the shop. It looks like another Body Shop, but no, this Yves Rocher is scarily pricey.

Laneige, on the other hand is cheap, to me. I always find that Korean brands are really, really cheap, be it Holika Holika, Etude House, TFS, or Nature Republic. haha, so not surprise the Water Bank is the Save option.

I like hydration products too because I have dry skin, and hydration products always help plumps my face to make fine lines disappear. Looks like I’d have to try the Yves Rocher if I go into Malaysia (hopefully soon), since MWS recommends it!

January 5, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Oh I do! I love the Yves Rocher mainly because my skin seems to like it more. Its like it gave a big sigh of relief when I switched back to YR, which was strange LOL! I took a look around the store when I was there and you’re right. Its actually a big mix of expensive and cheap items. I do quite like some of the stuff though I can’t wait till I go to Europe where I hear its CHEAP! :D

Juan
January 5, 2013 at 7:35 pm

i also think that since the Yves Rocher come in a smaller bottle, the content might be a bit more fresh compared to a 60ml bottle, no? so, efficacy wise it should fare better because of this mechanics?

my skin is getting mature. i don’t get as much oil though it is still easily congested and now actively seeking a hydrating moisturiser. as usual, your post will continue to tempt me to part with my ringgits… :D

January 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm

You may have a point, Juan. I wonder if that’s why most serums come in 30ml bottles. Well, other than the fact its so it doesn’t shock us with the prices? ;) I do like the Yves Rocher one but I’m just wondering if there maybe a sale going on soon (hopefully). At the end of last year they had a 10% off but that was the max. Hopefully there’s a sale for CNY or something :P

Juanneth January 27, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Psst,yesterday I went to YR,and the very nice SA told me on Feb (not remember the actual date,sorry!) will be buy one free one promo for skincare. Its time to restock the serum,yeehaa!

January 28, 2013 at 10:02 am

Ooh that’s wonderful news! I am just about finishing up my gel cream so I may want to restock that! :D

pondsandleaves January 5, 2013 at 8:05 pm

you are almost magical in your timing. I just ran out of my night serum today.

Total serum/essence junkie, I was wondering what to use and abuse next! LOL.

THANKS for the headsup!

Happy New Year Dearie!

January 7, 2013 at 10:11 pm

What can I say? I read minds! ;) hope one of them works for you & Happy New Year to you too!

bluebutterfly January 6, 2013 at 10:39 am

I tried both, but just didn’t like the texture, IMO is bit too creamy too my liking. Maybe is just my combination skin.

Currently using H2o hydrating serum for night, ole henriksen truth serum day time.

January 7, 2013 at 10:22 pm

It could well be so! I do have slightly drier skin which maybe why it works well for me :)

casey23 January 7, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I’ve been into hydration especially since I started reading your blog! I do have a few moisturizing creams/gels I wanted to buy a hydrating serum too. Yves Rocher is really cheap here in Turkey so I was gonna buy that. But after I read your review I realized dimethicone is the second ingredient, I decided to pass it. Most of my moisturizing gels do have silicone as second or third ingredient but I did see this year that silicone based ingredients are not helping me with my pore problems. And unfortunately Laneige is unavailable here I need to find myself another hydrating serum. Maybe I can try Clarins :)

January 8, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Sorry to hear your skin can’t handle dimethicone. You aren’t alone in it of course – I have some friends who can’t too. I maybe going back to try Clarins for a spell. My skin is starting to rebel again, and none of what used to work is working. Grr…

Swati
January 9, 2013 at 1:42 pm

i totally believe in hydration!! in fact, i got a really amazing product at a decent price in India which is USDA certified and does a fab job of keeping my skin hydrated!!
Swati recently blogged…Soulflower Rose Geranium Aroma Massage Oil {Product Review}My Profile

January 9, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Sounds like an amazing product, Swati! Which product is it?

Michelle January 14, 2013 at 1:01 am

I looked for this product online but couldn’t find it on the USA site. But it is on the France site tho they said they wouldn’t ship overseas. :( Is it the same thing as these? http://www.yvesrocherusa.com/control/hydra-vegetal/

January 20, 2013 at 11:41 am

Hi Michelle, yes that is the same range I refer to but I don’t seem to see the concentrate on that page although its in the image at the top. Perhaps they are out of stock for now.

Amy January 16, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I’m a huge fan of the La Neige line – I’ve used the Water Bank Essence, and really like it. The smell is incredibly refreshing and does a great job of softening my skin. I had several samples, but my favorite is actually a rice ceramide from The Face Shop. It creates a great palette for me to use my other products without making my skin feel oily or heavy.