Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura!

in FOTD,Lipstick,Makeup,Product Reviews

One of my most anticipated Holiday 2012 items to pick up was the Laura Mercier Laque Rouge from their Art Deco collection. The collection arrived late here for some reason and I think the girls at the LM counter were quite sick of me popping my head around at every opportunity to ask about Art Deco icon biggrin Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura! Persistant, I am!

So the day I popped my head around the Bangsar Village 2 counter (do look for May, she’s lovely!) and asked “Art Deco?” and she said “Yes, its here!” was a happy day indeed. I ended up only picking up the limited edition Laque Rouge lip lacquer, because the rest of the collection did not quite appeal.

lm laque rouge4 Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura!

* mis-spelling in photo – should read Laque Rouge icon razz Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura!

The Lip Lacquer is Laura Mercier’s take on a liquid lipstick. What it is is a very pigmented, opaque lip colour with a lovely lacquered shine. Liquid lipsticks were really big about halfway through 2012 and I forsee that the trend may continue over into 2013. I tried a couple but none of them held up to the staying power of this one.

Which is why I’m glad I picked it up, because it quite seriously, does not budge!

The product comes in a typical liquid lipstick case, and in fact looks pretty much like a regular lipgloss. The golden cap is a matte gold plastic which doesn’t look as glamorous in person as it does in the photos. I must confess to feeling a little let down.

lm laque rouge2 Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura!

I’d seen it in person before quite a few months ago, but I had forgotten what it was like. I originally also thought that the texture would be like that of a lipgloss – slippery, glossy but pigmented. Turned out I was wrong.

The texture of the Laque Rouge is thick. It has a thick but smooth gel-like consistency and very little goes a very long way. For a lip colour this bright, it can pose quite a challenge if you are hesitant to wear bright colours. But the beautiful part of it is that this product wears beautifully as a lip stain.

lm laque rouge5 Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura!

Laura Mercier Laque Rouge swatch – 1 layer

See what I mean by pigmented? This is straight from the tube, from an applicator that has been wiped down the side of the tube. The colour is a gorgeous true red without leaning too far towards being cool or warm. For some reason, it reminds me of molten chocolate in its consistency. Chocolate! That’s a first LOL!

Because it is so strongly pigmented, what I do is to wipe down the excess gloss on the side of the tube before applying to my lips. The sponge tipped doe foot applicator holds enough colour to coat your lips once over, and for most, this would be sufficient.

lm laque rouge3 Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura!

Be careful because like molten chocolate, the gloss may drip and result in the opening of the tube looking a little bloody icon razz Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura! You can see it in the photo above.

If you aren’t the daring sort, or if you want to not have such an in-your-face red lip, you can just dab one dot in the middle of your lower and upper lip and use a lip brush to sheer it out. The colour is still pretty strong, but it will sheer out quite well, and give you a lovely stained lip.

What I think impressed me the most is the staying power of this lip lacquer. It lasts for hours on my lips through copious cups of water during the day and almost made it through an oily Chinese noodle lunch. Almost. I could have easily blotted off, applied lip balm over and go about my day without having to wipe off and start over. That’s how long lasting it is, and I have to just also say that this one of the few bold lip colours that do not leave that ring of colour around your lips – you know, where it wears off from inside out? Ugh! I hate that icon razz Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura!

Unlike most long lasting lipsticks, it isn’t drying at all. I wouldn’t say its moisturizing, but it doesn’t dry out my lips and in fact, seems to make my lips look smoother than they are

lm laque rouge Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura!

This is just 1 layer of colour all over. The doe foot applicator makes it easy to control the shape close to the lip line and you can see that the colour is seriously pigmented yet it gives a nice glossy finish. Its a very lovely face-brightening shade of red that I think is flattering on almost anyone.

In a nutshell

The Laura Mercier Laque Rouge Lip Lacquer is a limited edition liquid lipstick from the Art Deco collection. It only comes in 1 shade which is a very flattering true red that I think will suit most skin tones. The product feels like molten chocolate and coats lips with colour with just 1 thin layer. If you layer it on, it will look stronger but one thin layer is more than enough for most. It isn’t drying and gives my lips a nice smooth appearance with a nice glossy sheen. It is also extremely long lasting. Definitely one of the more long lasting lipsticks I own, which is useful especially when you can never tell if your red lipstick is wearing off and leaving that odd ring around your mouth. Perfect for wearing through dinners and on occasions when you need some attention drawn to you or when you just want to put your best face forward icon wink Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura!

Pros: Long lasting, Pigmented colour, Smooth texture with nice glossy sheen, Can be sheered out as a lip stain

Cons: Limited Edition

Who will like this: Anyone who is in the market for a long lasting red lipstick

For an idea of what this looks like in a face shot, here’s how it looks on me.

lacque fotd Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura!

*mis-spelling of Laque Rouge

Eyes – Smashbox Softbox palette Face – NARS Tinted Moisturiser in Finland Cheeks – Bobbi Brown Clay blush

This is seriously, one of the best red lipsticks I’ve ever owned or tried and I’m happy to have hounded the counters for it icon smile Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura! The fact it is long lasting and does not slide off quickly despite oily meals ranks it higher in my books than some other liquid lipsticks e.g. Guerlain Rouge G l’Extrait or Shiseido Lacquer Rouge because those slipped off quite quickly after a bowl of oily noodle soup. This one held on far better so will be my pick for when I have to hungrily slurp down oily noodles whilst having to keep my cool polished composure. I have to assure you at this point that it happens far more often than I care to experience! LOL! icon wink Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura!

Did you check out the Laura Mercier Art Deco collection? Did you pick up Laque Rouge?

I’m glad I did! icon biggrin Laura Mercier Laque Rouge: Something this good should be made permanent, Laura! As of now, this formula and product is limited edition and only comes in 1 colour. It would be nice to see Laura Mercier make this permanent or bring in a couple more colours to appeal to those who may like the texture but who are afraid of the bold colour. A lovely browned rose or pink rose might be a nice addition. Let’s hope those happen.

Laura Mercier Laque Rouge lip lacquer Price: RM89 Availability: Laura Mercier at Bangsar Village II, Fashion Avenue Pavilion KL, Ken’s Apothecary stores but I don’t see it online Limited Edition: Yes, Art Deco Muse collection Winter/Christmas 2012

Ingredients: Polybutene, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Trimethylolpropane Triisostearate, Mica (Ci 77019), Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Diisostearyl Malate, Octyldodecanol, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyrate, Microcrystalline Wax (Microcrystallina Cera), Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Triisodecyl Trimellitate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Hydrogenated Styrene/Butadiene Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Sorbitan Isostearate, Portulaca Pilosa Extract, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-38, Sucrose Cocoate. May Contain (+/-): Ci 15850 (Red 7 Lake), Ci 15985 (Yellow 6 Lake), Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), Ci 42090 (Blue 1 Lake).

ksuan January 3, 2013 at 8:34 am

How lovely! I saw this, swatched and fell in love, but my poor student pocket could not handle the price tag. :(

January 4, 2013 at 5:21 pm

It sort of sucks that this is limited edition. Laura Mercier should make it permanent just so everyone can get it at some point!

LeGeeque January 3, 2013 at 8:38 am

That. Red. WOW. And for something that’s THAT long lasting and not drying, I think I might add go check it out in person over lunch today ;) The only problem I have so far is the scent. As much as I love chocolates, I can’t bear to have that on my cosmetics. And what’s worse, if I can smell it on my lips and I have no chocolates on hand, that’s just going to create a craving I most definitely don’t need!
LeGeeque recently blogged…3/31: Guerlain Kiss Kiss Gloss in 867My Profile

January 4, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Haha It doesn’t smell of chocolates, just feels like it ;) There maybe a slight scent but to be honest, I can’t remember. Its the longevity and colour that really grabbed me more than the scent :D

Angela January 3, 2013 at 8:38 am

This is a beautiful color on you.
Angela recently blogged…My Favorite Beauty Products of 2012 Part 1: SkincareMy Profile

January 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Thank you Angela! I think its a beautiful colour for most people too!

Rainy Days & Lattes January 3, 2013 at 8:40 am

It looks amazing on the swatch and on you :) Lovely red. It’s bold, but fantastic! I need a serious true red like this :D

January 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm

It seriously does look amazing right? :D Perfect, if you love red lipstick ;)

Teri
January 3, 2013 at 8:57 am

Wow, the fact that you like it more than the Guerlain ones really spikes my interest now! I love those and I find them very long wearing, but something even better than that must be tested, haha. I seriously love that red colour too!
Teri recently blogged…Femme Boulevard: Ushering 2013 with StyleMy Profile

January 4, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Yes, I actually do like it more than Guerlain, in terms of longevity and maybe even colour, because this one is so lovely and bright and shiny :D I think it’d look AMAZING on you, Teri :D

Jenn
January 3, 2013 at 8:58 am

“feels like molten chocolate”… mmm! :D The color looks really lovely against your skintone! :D I’m hoping that they bring in more subdued colors because I’m one of those who can’t rock a red lip… at least at work without getting tongues to wag! Haha!
Jenn recently blogged…#003 – One craving satisfiedMy Profile

January 4, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Thank you Jenn and I’m hoping for more colours to come in future too. Hear that, LM? We need more colours so Jenn doesn’t get tongues wagging at work! ;)

AnT January 3, 2013 at 9:20 am

Wow Paris!! You are indeed sexy and bold with RED!! :D I wish they have it in Pink rose too! :P

January 4, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Mmm sexy and bold, I like! ;) I do hope this means LM will come out with more colours. We need more!!

lisa January 3, 2013 at 9:24 am

nice! Have you tried any of the YSL gloss stain? I love those. I wonder whether they are similar?

LeGeeque January 3, 2013 at 9:30 am

Ah yes! I remember someone proclaiming her love and loyalty to these. Thanks for the reminder – will check them out soon :)

January 4, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Hi Lisa, I haven’t tried the YSL Glossy Stains yet but I’m hoping to soon. We don’t have YSL here, more’s the pity!

xin
January 3, 2013 at 9:35 am

this is so pretty! now i feel like there is a compelling need for me to check it out, if there is still one around
xin recently blogged…Falling in Love with Petals: Les Merveilleuses de Ladurée – Face Color Rose ReviewMy Profile

January 4, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Haha there should be stock still available. It came in only at the end of the year!

Tracy January 3, 2013 at 9:56 am

OMG IT’S GORGEOUS ON YOU!! You look lovely! And btw I’m liking this new font as I type my comment haha. :)
I just might have to check this out! Hope they’re still around here!

January 4, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Thank you Tracy and thank you too for liking the new font! I’m glad you’re seeing it because apparently, those on MAC machines or using Safari won’t see it! Grr… And I hope you get to check out the lippie – its seriously quite something :D

Esther Neo January 3, 2013 at 10:21 am

Wow its RED loh. Nice! Hmm…tempting cos lipstick is too strong for me n lipgloss doesnt show up on my dark lips. If this so pigment n also in a lip wand, I want!!

January 4, 2013 at 5:46 pm

VERY red hehe… This one sounds like its something right up your alley, Esther! Ticks all your boxes ;)

Parita January 3, 2013 at 10:39 am

OMG thats stunningly beautiful shade!

January 4, 2013 at 5:47 pm

It is, isn’t it? :D Do check it out Parita, if you have the chance.

kuri
January 3, 2013 at 11:09 am

sounds fantastic! I hardly use my red lipstick but I love glossy reds! Too bad this is limited edition, argh!

January 4, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Yes, the limited edition thing really sucks, if you ask me. Especially if its good stuff. Why do they do it to us?! :P

January 3, 2013 at 11:34 am

Ah, I managed to swatch this, along with the rest of the product of the collection. Definitely very pretty… but I didn’t need another red. I’m staying strong to my 2-month no buy commitment! :-D
Lily recently blogged…Lighter Than Foundation, Better Than Tinted Moisturizer: Bobbi Brown BB CreamMy Profile

January 4, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Good on you for sticking to the no buy :) I wasn’t too thrilled with the rest of the collection but this one was one I’d been eyeing for MONTHS! :D

Honey January 3, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Great colour! i’ve got a budget find for you – check out In2It Liquid Lipstick. I got the colour in Poppy. AMAZING. Gonna pick up another one in pink soon. The price? RM16.88! Got to go budget, cos I splurged on a set of Sigma brushes for my own Christmas present :)

Juanneth January 4, 2013 at 5:34 am

Just wanna add another option, check out Gleam Rouge Liquid Lipstick from Farmasi Color Cosmetic (FCC, its originated from Istanbul) if you can. Less than RM40, not drying and pigmented. Won twelve of them from a contest, and currently having affairs with them :P

P/S: You look absolutely gorgeous with red lipstick on. Unfortunately, I can’t rock the red lips :(

January 4, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Juanneth! I think I’ve seen the brand before in Parkson – will take a look again the next time I see it :D

January 4, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Honey :) I’ll take a look the next time I’m at the pharmacies. Did you get the Sigmax brushes? I hear they are seriously awesome stuff!

Kassie January 3, 2013 at 12:48 pm

this lip color lost so brilliant. Very pigmented. I know what you mean about the red ring around your mouth god that happens to me all the time it’s so embrassing.

January 4, 2013 at 5:50 pm

That red ring of terror LOL! It doesn’t happen to me a lot but I find that it will happen more often with some lip products than others. Maybe its to do with how it adheres to our skin.

shija January 3, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Hi, it looks Beautiful on you.. Do they have any more colours than this?

January 4, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Thank you Shija :) This only comes in 1 colour for now, and is limited edition in the Art Deco collection. Am hoping they’ll make more!

Hanny Daforcena
January 3, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I love anything with the lacquered finish! ^.^ Thank the Force that I have one from NYX that reminds me of this (and Chanel Dragon, if anything) heh heh heh. Have yet to wear it out yet, though. ^.^
Hanny Daforcena recently blogged…FOTD: Vampy Goth (AKA: First FOTD of 2013~)My Profile

January 4, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Oh yes, the infamous Chanel Dragon :) I never got that one – the colour just looked too dull for my liking but its a beautiful lipstick on anyone! Time to wear it out and erm… slay ‘em, Hanny!

jk January 3, 2013 at 4:21 pm

That shade of red is really pretty on you. And I like the thought of “last-ability” on the lips after food. Unfortunately for me, I have not found the courage to carry this red a red. Hopefully, LM comes up with other shades in due course and I will fall in line to make the purchase.

January 4, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Aww JK you should give it a go some time. I promise you, red lipsticks aren’t as scary as we think they are ;) But I know how you feel. Most people are hesitant about wearing a red lip so I guess I’m sort of in the minority locally :) Am hoping LM will come out with more colours too. The formula is really something!

Laura January 3, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I think you’re definitely right about the liquid lipstick thing. Here in the states, I definitely remember several bloggers with GLOWING reviews on the new Hourglass liquid lipsticks (apparently the pigmentation, staying power, and comfort of it just can’t beat). I’d be really interested in a comparison, since you make this one sound so great as well, but I’m guessing the two products are sold in entirely different markets.

January 4, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Yes! That’s the other one I want to try, Laura, Hourglass. We don’t get the brand here though so I have to look online. Another one that gets a lot of raves is the Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge. Looks like liquid lipsticks are really really big :D Have you tried any that you like?

Becca
January 3, 2013 at 6:43 pm

This looks so creamy and bold and SHINY–very, very pretty!! I wonder if they will make this permanent and release more shades? It seems like a top notch formula and looks great on you!
Becca recently blogged…12 Things for 2012!My Profile

January 4, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Thank you Becca and yes, the formula is pretty amazing. I can’t get over how pigmented just one DROP is! :D Here’s hoping to see more of these Lip Lacquers from Laura Mercier, if they ever make them!

Marla January 3, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Beautiful pigment. You look stunning in red!

January 4, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Thank you Marla!

Tuti January 3, 2013 at 8:40 pm

PB!!!!!you are lipstick evil, now I am thinking hard should I get it. gosh….you look sooo gorgeous. But what makes me think twice, how do you take care of lipgloss which using doe foot applicator. Because I am a bit hygiene and scared of germs, using doe foot in and out the tube will cause germs, I heard. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ting January 3, 2013 at 11:02 pm

She is!! Isn’t she? :) About germs, don’t share with anyone else! :p It’s just like mascara. Never share these things. :)

January 4, 2013 at 6:13 pm

No no, Tuti, I’m a Lipstick Bandit! Haha!! :D Thank you so much, its a gorgeous shade and a lovely formula. I don’t have much hassle with a lipgloss. Just don’t share it with anyone, ever and it’ll be alright. Any germs in there will be your own LOL! :)

Sunny
January 3, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Eee thanks for discovering this lil gem, Paris! Now I really need to hunt this collection down! Long-lasting red lippie? Sounds like my thing ;)
Sunny recently blogged…Pink IS Happiness: Dior Diorblush Rose Bonheur/Pink Happiness Swatch & ReviewMy Profile

January 4, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I think it’d look AMAZING on you, Sunny! You totally rock red lipsticks :D

Nikki January 3, 2013 at 10:47 pm

The color looks amazing and super bright when swatched but on your lips, it blends well and the brightness is just right! It doesn’t scream “LOOK, MY LIPS COVER HALF OF MY FACE!” I like this kind of red!

January 4, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Hahaha Yes thank goodness it doesn’t shove my lips into the face of everyone! I think it’d look amazing on you too Nikki!