Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush I’ve ever contemplated getting a back up of

in Blush,Makeup,Product Reviews

I only just got this compact over the weekend but I just had to tell you about it because you see, I never buy back ups of anything. I would probably realistically never be able to finish up anything, especially a blush but I am seriously contemplating a back up of the Shiseido Camellia Compact. That’s how sold I am on it, gah! icon razz Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

shiseido camelia compact21 Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

I first saw this on Makeupstash and had that “OMG! Why haven’t I seen this around?!” moment because a) it was just so damned pretty b) its a BLUSH! ’nuff said and c) Its just so damned pretty! I asked around and found out that locally, its been out since September or October 2012 and there are only very limited units left at the counters. So at the first opportunity, I hoofed it down to a Shiseido counter to pick it up.

Yes, it is just as pretty in person icon biggrin Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of I believe this palette was to commemorate the brand’s 140th anniversary which is something of an achievement. How many brands can comfortably say they have been around 140 years? Imagine having had to deal with centuries of fickle women always trying new stuff!

Anyway, the Camellia Compact is a tricoloured blush that is very very pretty to look at but I swear, even prettier on skin.

I have to commend Shiseido for bringing artistry to not only the product, but the packaging. The compact’s slim compact case reminds me very much of lacquerware, with its black and red design.

shiseido camelia compact7 Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

It is very lovely to look at and I absolutely love the strong red and black that complement each other beautifully in a striking imagery.

shiseido camelia compact6 Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

See, it fits right in the palm of your hand and is slim, with a nice mirror in the top. Open it up and you are greeted with the silhouette of overlapping camellia flowers on a white base. The tricoloured palette reminds me a lot of one Chanel did a while ago – Lumiere Magiques. I have that one and I was meaning to photograph these together, but didn’t do it. Not sure why LOL! icon razz Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

Anyway, when I saw it on Makeupstash, I knew it would work on me, because the Chanel Lumiere Magiques blush which shares the same 3 colors works on my skin beautifully. I was not wrong icon biggrin Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

The 3 shades are swatched below individually and then sort of blended together to give you an idea of what the blush will look like.

shiseido camelia compact Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

Left-Right: Shimmer cool Pink, Shimmer warm Red, Shimmer White, Blended

All 3 colours are shimmery but not glittery so you only have a lovely sheen of colour on the skin. No fear of looking like a discoball at all! The colours also combine to produce different tones, depending on the shade you want. So add more red for warmth and more pink to cool it down. Add more white to lighten the colour or use it on its own as highlight.

shiseido camelia compact8 Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

Don’t be afraid of the shimmery look of the powder blush. Here’s an angle showing you the colour in its shimmer glory. Its just overspray. Underneath, the blush isn’t very shimmery, but isn’t matte either. Its got a lovely glowy vibe to it when applied on skin.

Oh and you would have noticed that it can be pigmented. I use my Lunasol Cheek Brush N with this, and one light tap on the surface grabs all the colour I need. I then tap off on the back of my hand for a bit and then apply it to my skin. What I get then, is a very lovely flush of colour on cheeks that can be described perfectly as a “glow from within” look. It does not sit on your skin looking like blush, but is sheer enough to allow your skin to come through, yet pigmented enough to deposit colour on skin. Do you realise just how complex that last sentence was? icon razz Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

shiseido camelia compact3 Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

I just had to show you this picture of the Camellia Compact after I’d swatched it and used my finger to blend the shades because I’m sadistic like that icon biggrin Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

When you use a brush, the colours don’t mix up as much so you don’t really get a smudge of colour like what you see on the white bit above. I used my fingers and you can see that on the red and pink, where the shimmer overspray has been rubbed off, the powder below is almost matte. When you blend the colours, the white will be a little dirtied. Perils of a pretty design.

However, when I use a brush, the muddiness isn’t as obvious. It might be because I don’t swirl my brush in it. Do not do it. Not only does it muddy the design, it means you end up with a splotch of red on cheeks, which is NOT how to wear blush. Well not unless you are auditioning for the Peking Opera! icon biggrin Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

And here’s how it looks on me.

shiseido camelia compact51 Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

A light tap on the blush with a brush, dab on back of hand to diffuse, then blend it on cheeks to get a very lovely flush of colour. It lasts long too. Towards the end of the day, I find that some colour has faded but it looks like I have a very healthy glow from within, that comes through the skin.

Seriously beautiful, I tell you! (The blush I mean) I really have to think seriously about picking up that back up because here’s a blush I’ve been using daily and happy to use daily icon biggrin Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

In a nutshell

Get it. Nothing else to say LOL!

Oh ok, the Shiseido Camellia Compact is a limited edition tricoloured powder blush. Use each colour on its own or blend them for a lovely flush of colour on skin. The colours are quite pigmented so use a fluffy blush brush or a skunk (stippling) brush if that’s your thing. On skin, I find that the product is pigmented, but sheer enough not to look like you have a splotch of colour on skin. It is very easy to blend and imparts a beautiful flush of colour to give you that blushing from within look. Its beautiful to look at and to use and is worth every penny. The different colours mean it quite easily suits most skin tones from the fair to the deeper toned, just adjust the colours accordingly as you swirl your brush.

Pros: Beautiful blush to look at, Pigmented colours, Easy to blend, Long lasting, Not too shimmery, Lovely texture

Cons: None

Who will like this: Anyone who loves blush

shiseido camelia compact9 Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

I’m told this one came in very limited quantities so if you are keen on getting it, I suggest you do not delay. I picked mine up from Isetan The Gardens and it should be available at all Shiseido counters.

Does this grab you? Do you like using blush? How good are you at defiling something that looks so pretty?

I had to steel myself to swatch this one but I knew I had to do it, because I really wanted to use it and the only way I could was if I already marked it. It makes things easier icon biggrin Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of I haven’t had much love for blushes in recent times. I haven’t even been buying many, which doesn’t bode well for this blush fiend, so I’ve been working through my stash. The last one I bought disappointed me so I was a bit bummed. Still, I happen to own another blush from Shiseido and I’m reminded that Shiseido blushes are very nice, so remind me to tell you about that one soon. Now, about that back up… icon wink Shiseido Camellia Compact : The only blush Ive ever contemplated getting a back up of

Shiseido Camellia Compact powder blush Price: RM115 Availability: Shiseido counters Limited Edition: Yes, 2012 Holiday and 140th Anniversary

Tracy December 5, 2012 at 8:38 am

It’s utter perfections on you Paris! You look gorgeous! I keep see-sawing on it-should I or shouldn’t I? I don’t really need any more blush! Sigh. I just don’t know what to do haha. Oh the trials and tribulations of a blush fiend….:)

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Thank you Tracy! I don’t think any of us need anymore blush to be honest, but sigh… this had to throw me in at the deep end… ;)

LeGeeque December 5, 2012 at 8:50 am

You remember a few days ago you tweeted that I’m the devil? You know what you are now? THE DEVIL!

It’s so pretty. And it’s pink. Anything pink is great. I don’t need more blushes, neither do you (ahem) but damn, I want it :P

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Ahem *wears devil horns*

Sunny December 5, 2012 at 8:56 am

I need to try to hunt this down! So darn pretty! I’ve been looking for a red blush (out of sheer curiosity), and this might be it! I just hope we actually got this here, but I’m not entirely sure.

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Its gorgeous Sunny and I hope you manage to lay your hands on it some how! Another red blush I used to like was Nars Taos. Absolutely beautiful but I gave it away for being too much work for me.

Jyoan December 5, 2012 at 8:59 am

I have been looking hard for it too! I have been out and around quite a lot, wonder why I don’t see it.

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I hope you manage to find it! Much too pretty to miss ;)

Tine December 5, 2012 at 9:01 am

Right. ‘Nuff said. I’m adding this to my MUST BUY list now :P

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:29 pm

teehee… ;)

giddy tigress December 5, 2012 at 9:14 am

Awshucks. Another to-buy item *enabled* by you. :P

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Hehe… I’m sorta good at enabling things I love ;) But I’m quite sure you won’t regret it!

Jacqueline December 5, 2012 at 9:16 am

I have seen this popping up all over blogs and I have been trying my best to resist it, I have way too many blush. It is such a lovey blush, must resist, must resist!

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I gave up resisting blush a long time ago haha! Its about my only true makeup vice, next to lipstick ;)

xin December 5, 2012 at 9:20 am

it really looks like you are glowing from within because the color is so sheer. such a pretty blush

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Thanks Xin! I didn’t expect it to look as good as it did – whew! Else I’d have defiled it for nothing :P

lisa December 5, 2012 at 9:25 am

oooh….i was seriously NOT tempted reading about this product from other blogs. Til i saw your fotd. It’s so pretty. You look absolutely glowing! Only japanese blush is able to achieve this kind of blush effect. You see the skin getting radiant and it shows through the blush. The powder doesn’t just sits on top and hide the skin beneath. Making sense? I must go check out this over the weekend. Hopefully, i can get my hands on one. And your red lips match the blush so well. Lovely.

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Absolutely right, Lisa! Only the Japanese blushes have managed to create the glowing from within look which is so beautiful and natural. The closest I’ve come to it in a Western brand so far is Dior. I hope you manage to find one too! I think it’d be lovely on you, having a rough idea of the stuff you use, thanks to our numerous “conversations” here :D

lisa December 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I bought it! Yay yay! Did yours come with a brush too? Mine did. I’m quite pleasantly surprised with it coz’ i didn’t come across it in any of the blogs.
It’s well made for a free brush/compact brush and i like it that it comes in it’s own plastic case for hygiene and travelling purpose. It’s such a lovely blush. Can’t believe i nearly gave it a miss. The SA tried it on me and i love it. I love red blushes. Especially during the falls. My other and only red blush is Nars Exhibit but that is way pigmented whereas this is sheerer and can be layered. I appreciate the pink and white part as well to play down the redness. Thanks for sharing this, Paris!

Paris B December 10, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Hey Lisa, yay for getting your hands on Camellia! :D I didn’t get a brush though. Hmm… Maybe its a special deal they were doing at the counter? I don’t doubt the quality is good for a free brush because I’ve realised that many Japanese brands do good brushes inside their palettes too. Attention to detail! :D I had Exhibit A before too! Gave it away as well because it was too hard to work with. I never make mistakes with this one which is more than I can say for a pigmented blush like Nars. Happy to share the love! :D

Tammy December 5, 2012 at 9:36 am

What a gorgeous palette. I must say this blush colour is really perfect on you! Stick with it!!!

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Thank you Tammy! :D I wonder if this means I should get a back up after all hmm… ;)

Lily December 5, 2012 at 9:44 am

I’m using this today! I’m getting better at using pretty things. I think this blush will look different on everyone because of the way we pick up the colour. I picked up more red today and I look so healthy :-) Will try the pink tomorrow!

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Yep! The different colours definitely will help adjust the colour to look different on us all which is great. Nice to know you like it too :)

Liyeun December 5, 2012 at 9:50 am

3 things that made me laugh today! 1. The word sadistic used above. 2. Who will like this: anyone who loves blush. 3. Ur last sentence: about the back up….. LOL! U made my day, Paris! Anyway, I was thinkin to pass this, but now I gotta see to this!!! Why oh why….

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Aww Liyeun, happy to make you laugh! :D Did you manage to take a look at it yet and did it “accidentally” go home with you? ;)

mamanurul December 5, 2012 at 11:17 am

woww. best make up.

Teri December 5, 2012 at 11:29 am

I wonder if they released it here too. I think I remember something like this at the display and I was swooning over it. It looks really fresh on you!

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Thank you Teri :D I have to get out more often – I seem to have totally missed this one, if not for having read it on a blog! Thank goodness for bloggers :D

Nikki December 5, 2012 at 11:32 am

The blush compact was made for you PB! I love the overall effect on your cheeks! Shall I say..BLOOMING? :D

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Aww Nikki! :D Blooming, as I’m sure YOU are too :D

Pearl December 5, 2012 at 11:34 am

OMG…u gonna make me burn another hole on my credit card! I had to get this one too into my blush collection that is piling up!! (thanks to u!) :-)

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Oops! hehe… ;) I hope you like it if you do get it though. Its so lovely on skin, its a pity not to use it! Oh and a healthy blush collection is a good thing ;)

elvina December 5, 2012 at 11:52 am

omg that blush is sooooo pretty!! i am so tempted to get it now!!

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hi Elvina, did you manage to check it out? Its very lovely both to look at and on skin ;)

Sze Ling December 5, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Gah!!!! Sooooo pretty. And yes, why the heck haven’t I seen this around. Ugh…

Must refrain myself from buying this. I have wayyyy too many blushes for a girl to use up. I think all of them can last me another 10 years, and that’s if I use them every day and don’t buy any more blush. :P

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Oh good, I’m not the only blind one hehe… ;) I think this totally slipped under our radar some how. Weird! Oh and you can’t talk to me about restraint when it comes to blushes. Honestly, don’t even try LOL! If I had grandkids, they’d be able to use grandmama’s blushes… and maybe even their kids :P Vintage ok. :P

Sze Ling December 7, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Hmmm…I don’t know. It might be uncool to use grandmama’s makeup. LOL. :P

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm

True although how many people would have grandma’s makeup to play with? Lol!! ;)

Becca December 5, 2012 at 12:18 pm

OH this is SO pretty, Paris! It looks *perfect* for creating natural-looking winter-flushed cheeks! I love it! And I REALLY love Shiseido’s powder formula. I tried the Luminizing Satin Face Color not too long ago and fell in love–I’ve been meaning to go back for RD103 for a while but I keep forgetting! :P I hadn’t ever heard of this beautiful LE powder but now, I can see it is on the Shiseido website so I might have to grab one. It’s funny, I usually don’t go for blushes with cool pink or red tones in it, and this one has both–but applied lightly it’s just too lovely to resist!

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Oh yay! You do know what I’m talking about then, since you have used Shiseido’s blush before this! Its just amazing texture right? The cool and warm shades blend quite prettily together so its never very warm or very cool. Like in goldilocks, its just right :D

Catherine December 5, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Beautiiifuul! Im not sure how I like the shimmer but hmhm if I see it somewhere I might want to take it home and take care of it :D I dont know why here we have only small counters without SA of shiseido. Its not popular here, I dont know why.

BTW Paris! I just discovered that Estee Lauder on their US site has AMAZING powder compacts, one with snake motif and one in 24 carat gold. I wish we had more of these luxurious metal packaging these days!! I was contemplating getting vintage compact (like made by Stratton from ebay) and put my own powder there but Im too lazy and Im afraid what if some kind of germs live there, Im paranoid :D

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Oh boo to poorly manned Shiseido counters! I hope you manage to see it soon. Once you get rid of the top layer, the blush isn’t shimmery at all :D

Oh yes, Estee Lauder does these limited edition compacts that people collect. I thought they were solid perfume compacts (those are gorgeous too! I wanted to collect them but they were too pricey) but didn’t realise they do compacts for powder too. I just looked it up and you’re right! Oh my, they are gorgeous and perfect for holding up for touch ups right? :D I don’t think they bring them in here where I am though :(

makeupmag December 5, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Thanks for the link love. :) And ya la, you’re beautiful too; the haircut really suits you!

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Thank you Mag, and thank you for blogging about this or I’d have totally missed it! :D

Camy December 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm

they look so pretty! :D wish to have it

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Pop right down to the Shiseido counter! :D

xiao December 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm

oy. so pretty. I didn’t think much about it when I read it but if I walk past a Shiseido counter….

NO. I’M ON A NO-BUY, PARIZ!

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:51 pm

LOL stay home, Wandz! No sneaking off to the Shiseido counter!

Sue Lin December 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Honestly, I have my doubts about this one (I mean white and strong red?!). But it all melted away when I saw how gorgeous it looks on you—really natural and glowy. The compact’s impeccable.

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I was worried myself, Sue Lin. I mean look at that red! But thankfully on skin, it blends beautifully and you can tone down the red with the pink and the white so it all works :D

plue December 5, 2012 at 3:11 pm

for RM115 it isn’t terribly expensive. I saw this on a TW blogsite a few months back and was quite excited about it, but when I read it on makeupstash the shimmery bit put me off, and thought no more about it. Now that you reviewed it, I think I may get it. I haven’t been buying a lot of blushes or makeup lately! :P

Paris B December 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Nope, I didn’t think it pricey at all too :) Its not shimmery at all to be honest, just the overspray. Once that’s brushed off, its pretty much perfection :)