Your Say: Does the weather affect your mood?

in Discussions

weather Your Say: Does the weather affect your mood?

Its been raining a lot here in Malaysia. I mean, we are a tropical country after all and prone to having a monsoon season every now and again, but lately, its been ridiculous. Every day at about 3-4pm the skies close in, the clouds turn black and we brace ourselves for rain.

When it rains, its torrential, and it doesn’t stop for anything. When the rains are near the sky is heavy, dark and overcast, everything is grey and there is this ominous sense of forebrooding in the air. Its nice of course to be indoors, and nice to have the warm heat alleviated by the cool rains, and almost cold winds. But when it happens daily, I’ve found that it affects my mood.

Does the weather affect yours?

I’ve learnt over the years that deep down, as much as I enjoy the cool weather in temperate climates, I’m a tropical gal at heart. The sun warms me and although the heat can get to me in the hot months, I feel much better being able to see some sun, as opposed to being cold for months on end, and having grey skies overhead.

When it rains a lot or when the sky is grey, my mood tends to plummet and I get irritated more easily. Somehow, things don’t look as bad when its lovely and bright, but when its dark and grey, every small issue becomes a major problem.

Thinking back, I’m never quite sure now how I lasted through the long dreary winter days and nights as a student. London is not the sunniest place in the world I can assure you icon razz Your Say: Does the weather affect your mood? Back then, no one talked about SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder aka Winter Blues) and there were no lamps to mimic sunlight to alleviate that mood.

I love travelling in the Autumn because its my favourite time of year. Its cool, the days aren’t too short and if I’m lucky, there’s sun to be had to enjoy even while the cool wind nips my cheeks. But I’m always glad to be back here in the warmth  and I swear my disposition improves too icon smile Your Say: Does the weather affect your mood?

Does the weather affect your mood? Do you feel better for having had a bit of sun?

LeGeeque November 13, 2012 at 8:35 am

DEFINITELY! I find I get sick a lot more in winter where the days are so short. Now that it’s approaching summer, I’m welcoming the longer and warmer days. I’m so thankful to be able to shed my layers of wool and bare some skin. Having said that, I’m not keen on exposing so much unmentionables that the thick layers of clothes have successfully hidden :D

Just remind me of this when I whinge and moan of 40 degree days! :D

November 14, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Lol ok I will ;) I think it’s a case or too much of a good thing huh? I can’t handle it too much during the heat waves here too

Tammy November 13, 2012 at 9:09 am

You bet! Living in London in the winter really sucks. Even in the summer the sun doesn’t shine constantly. Not to mention this year in the summer it had been raining every day for 3 months. Dreadful. As pretty as the changing of the season can get, I am the same, definitely a sunshine gal at heart!
Don’t even get me started on the darkness here. Gets completely dark at 4:45pm here. And it’s not even mid November……

November 14, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Oh dear, London can be so dreary and I read about the rain all through summer! I love being back in London in autumn though. It’s such a nice time then, and for some reason, drier because the set few times I went, I was lucky it didn’t rain. The short days do bug me though. Chin up! :)

Esther November 13, 2012 at 9:09 am

YES YES YES! OH GOSH!!!! THE RAIN! THE RAIN!!!!! T__T The rain definitely affects my mood… -_- I have yet to experience winter alone …yet… *going to Canada next year…. talk about cold!!!* but I know I’ll be so depressed when I get there… THEN AGAIN! I FIND THE BEST WAY IS TO DISTRACT YOURSELF! go out with friends even in rain or winter or something! or do some assignments! The worst way is when it’s raining you get cooped up at home in your room with NOTHING. NOTHING TO DO! T_T and you’ll start thinking… and you’ll start to not think straight… and and and… *lost for words*

November 14, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Haha! Keeping busy in winter is a good thing. It’s nice to stay in some days where it’s warm. That’s what I miss about winter.

Jacqueline November 13, 2012 at 9:20 am

I definitely do better when it is sunny. I hate rainy weather! I can’t go out to play.

November 14, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Too true! It’s all wet and yucky out there :)

Catherine November 13, 2012 at 10:28 am

Yes! Now here in Paris is cold, windy, rainy… but when occasionally we have sun it changes completely how I feel :) I love summer, I spent a month in Cannes just to make summer last longer, while in Paris it was already cold…

I dont mind snowy winter but only when is Christmas :) After we could already move on to may :D

November 14, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Haha! I like it cold at Christmas too. I must be conditioned by all the Christmas cards I see :D the last few times I went to Paris was in spring and summer. Lovely times :)

Efrain
November 13, 2012 at 11:32 am

Yes and a lot, I don’t like cloudy or rainy days, so I feel drowsy everyday and I want to be indoors all day (but I admit I like clothes for colder days). I love sunny days although I act like an Asian, and I hide from the Sun (a little joke LOL) I was born in the coast of Veracruz and I think tropical weather is in my veins.

So, yes sunny=good mood and cloudy=drowsy mood
Efrain recently blogged…Temas varios: un disfraz fácil y rápido para chico, una base de maquillaje y una herramienta para encontrar tu tonoMy Profile

November 14, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Oh yes, when it’s wet and cold, all I want to do is sleep, haha! Sunny days are better but not hot days because then, I’m like a lizard and can barely move.

Cat November 13, 2012 at 12:10 pm

A big Yes! I kinda hate hot sunny weather (sorry if i offended anyone) I prefer it to be less sunny. Too hot and bright i feel like my skin is burnt and gets oily :( So i prefer mild weather with lots of cloudy covering the sun haha

November 14, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Of course you aren’t offending anyone, Cat :) we all have our preferences. I don’t like it when its too hot, but I need some sun to actually lift my mood ;)

Hanny Daforcena
November 13, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I actually like the rainy weather we’re having now ^.^ Sue me, but sunny weather that makes me sweat will trigger my eczema. Heh heh heh.

There is just something about the rain that makes the world smell a little bit cleaner and feel a little bit fresher. That is, after a torrential bout of rain of course. I hate them little drizzles. Makes cars so much dirtier, bleh.

November 14, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I like the rain but only when I have to stay in :P but definitely not daily rainfall because that does mess with my mood

Lisa November 13, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Loves the cooling weather. On the contrary, it improves my mood (and my skin). Rainy cool weather cools me down. The favorite period for me in a year is between Nov to Feb. I don’t mind cloudy weather but not too much sun. It really gets to me and causes me to have sinus and allergies too.

November 14, 2012 at 11:15 pm

It makes sense, Lisa :) I like it cool but not cloudy. Just feels oppressive to me

gio November 13, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Definitely! Cold, raining weather really gets to me. It makes me feel really down and, like you, I get irritated more easily. I also feel quite apathetic during winter, while when the weather is nice I’m always full of enthusiasm and willing to try new things.
gio recently blogged…Product Review: Benefit High BeamMy Profile

November 14, 2012 at 11:16 pm

The rejuvenating power of the sun! It must be in the blood of us tropical and mediterranean girls :)

Nikki November 13, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I am definitely affected by weather and same as in KL, it’s been raining a couple of days and though I’m mostly indoors, I felt a bit down!

Where I worked in the past, Spring and Fall is the best times of the year and my mood is chirpier! *laughs* I can’t handle the super high temperature Summer though! It gives me the headache and my mood changes too! *laughs*

November 14, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I think the rain bugs us because we can’t go out and do stuff. Traffic is impossible here as I’m sure it is for you too!

casey23 November 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Oh it gets to me easily! Even starting the morning, if I wake up to a grey sky day then I feel moody all the time! I am a truly mediterrean gal and I need to see the sun in order to work properly :)

November 14, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Haha and I’m a truly tropical gal, so we’re a pair! :D

Jennifer November 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm

You know what they say, a woman’s mood changes faster than the weather :) The weather definitely influences my mood. I actually love the rain, hearing rain drops on the roof, seeing big water droplets fall from the sky, the thunder and scent of rain on dry earth. That’s only when I stay indoor and need not leave the house. Often, it will pour just moments before you leave house and it literally dampens the mood. These days since sunny days are scarce for sun baked laundry and evening walks around the park seemed distant, I do feel down. But then again, when the sun is out and about frying me alive, I get upset as well :)

And speaking of weather, I like this one :)

Whether the weather be fine,
Or whether the weather be not,
Whether the weather be cold
Or whether the weather be hot,
We’ll weather the weather
Whatever the weather,
Whether we like it or not.

November 14, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Lol our moods are not only changeable we are as fickle too ;) I like things in moderation. Too much sun makes me lethargic while too much rain makes me feel down. I love the little poem, it’s so true!

Tracy November 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Not me! I’ve gotten used to it living in wintry Canada! I don’t mind rainy, no sunny days so much, although I do find they make me sleepier especially if I’ve been having trouble sleeping anyways. But I’d love to live in a rainy, cooler climate. I don’t do well in the heat!
I hope it suns up for you soon!

November 14, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I can’t imagine living in Canada, to be honest, they don’t call it the Great White North for nothing! But I’d most certainly love to visit and when I do, I’ll be sure to pack warm :)

Karen November 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Yes! Fine weather does make me feel good! Here in Hong Kong, it is autumn already. The air is no longer humid and the temperature is moderately cool. I like this kind of climate although I like tropical rainstorms as well :)

November 14, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Oh I live HK at this time and towards the year end! My family will be visiting and I know they’re looking forward to breaking out their boots and coats lol!

Issa November 13, 2012 at 4:35 pm

yes, it does affect my mood! I am also happier when it is bright and sunny, just as long as I can tolerate the heat! Too much rain makes me feel sad and lazy too…

November 14, 2012 at 11:25 pm

That’s the problem isn’t it? Sun comes with heat as well. Sigh…

Becca
November 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I actually love cloudy weather. To a certain extent of course (if it were completely cloudy for more than a month straight, I would def start to get irritable). Of course, it does effect my activities. When it’s cloudy out, all I want to do is sit inside with a cup of tea and read all day! :P
Becca recently blogged…The Sample: Jouer Highlighter in Tiare Review & SwatchesMy Profile

November 14, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I think we need a balance – good sunny days and cloudy days. It’s too bad we can’t control things that way :P

Marla November 13, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Most definitely! I live in a tropical climate where it is warm and sunny most of the time. Even though I grew up in the northeast, I could never go back to snow and ice. I love the sun, palm trees, and the heat- although it would be nice to wear a sweater once in awhile. ha!

November 14, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Oh he, I love dressing up for the cold weather too, but even that gets old after a while. Am glad to be living in the tropics, and I never thought I’d say this ever! Lol

Jue November 13, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I love rain. My mood is more melancholic on those days but hey it’s good to slow down.

I just love jumping around the puddles but not getting splash by car!

November 14, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I think the rain is nice so long as we’re kept dry. Once we get wet, it’s just miserable!

grl.li November 13, 2012 at 11:11 pm

The dreary cold weather definitely affects my mood but with the holidays approaching I do feel better bundled up in a warm blanket in front of a fire drinking a mocha latte, dreaming of tropical places and beautiful warm water!

November 14, 2012 at 11:29 pm

That’s such a lovely postcard image!

HapaGirl November 13, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Yes, and especially in KL! I found that every time I needed to get somewhere on foot (usually between train stations or whatnot), there would be a TORRENTIAL afternoon downpour that ruined my outfit, made my shoes smelly, made an afternoon run impossible, etc. You name it. It made me so depressed. Plus when it rains in KL all the garbage from the gutters and alleys comes floating up and you might end up stepping in it. YUCK!

I hate to say it, but now that I’m back in northern California, it’s sunny almost every day and it certainly lightens up my mood. However, life back here is more stressful so I don’t stop and appreciate the weather too much. Your post has inspired me to bask in the sunshine a bit more. :)

November 14, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Rain is not a pedestrian’s friend, that’s for sure! Sorry to hear you had a bad experience here. I like it when it rains, but not when it’s everyday. There’s actually too much of a good thing lol! Glad to know you are having good weather in California :)

Beth Maiorana November 14, 2012 at 12:08 am

The saying “under the weather” is literally the case: barometric pressure and such affect us directly, us and animals!! I have been in a foul mood and had it suddenly lift, and don’t you know, the sun had just come out as well. We human beings are very affected by our physical environment, even full moons and high tides- it’s an absolute documented fact. What a great topic, Paris!! xoxo Beth in Pgh ;-)

November 14, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Hi Beth, glad to know things are looking up! We just shouldn’t underestimate how weather, tides and the moon makes us feel huh? Especially not when it’s a full moon and we start acting weird hehe…

Cindy Tong
November 14, 2012 at 12:40 am

I feel sick and lazy when it’s raining..Lucky today the sky decided to get over it and not cry anymore!! SO i finally a happy girl again after swimming in the pool!!

November 14, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Good to know things are looking up for you!

Camy November 14, 2012 at 12:56 am

rain makes me dont get to go out and eat :(

November 14, 2012 at 11:33 pm

When it rains, I prefer to stay home and cook something warm and comforting like porridge or soupy noodles or a stew. Always makes me feel so much better :)

swati
November 14, 2012 at 12:57 am

yup, totally!!! I am a winter snow gal at heart :D but yup i am not a fan of rains, the muddy ones. i like the drizzle and the fresh greenery after the first rain and the smell of earth :D but, yes, i like sun after a long dull day. it wakes me up overall :)

November 15, 2012 at 10:41 am

Never underestimate the uplifting power of the sun! :D Makes everything look better doesn’t it?