Getting out of the rut, and getting a grip of yourself

in Musings,Tips

breaking out of a rut

Peekaboo! Hello friends :)

You know what? This one week of not blogging, and not even looking at the blog or anything related to it has been liberating. It has also made me miss it more than I realised. I wasn’t planning to be back this quickly, but I have because I missed it, I missed talking to you and I also had my epiphany moment after talking to a couple of friends.

But first, I want to thank all of you for your kind comments in the previous post and on email. It means a lot to me because its made me realise that I am reaching out to people who share the way I feel and who can relate to the way I think and do things. I think MWS has grown far beyond just me, the blogger; its now about all of you who chime in ever so often with your input, and I embrace and am humbled by the growth and support. Group hug anyone? 😀

While I was away, in a bit of a limbo and a rut, there were some things I did that helped me get out of that rut and I wanted to share them with you. We all face a rut sometimes, whether in our work, personal lives, passions and perhaps this can help you get out of it, the way it helped me :)

Take time off

This is the first thing I did. I identified the source of my frustration and I took time off. For me it was an overlap of work and the blog so I took time off both. I actually took the week off work and stayed home. All I did was spend time with myself, not bothering about the demands of anything except my tummy – just zenning out. On some days, I sat for hours just looking out the window… and on my birthday, after a stormy afternoon, I saw the most beautiful double rainbow right outside the window, so close I could almost touch it. The wonders of nature never cease to amaze me and the message was clear. It maybe stormy but at the end of it will be a lovely rainbow :)

Clear your clutter

We all have clutter, whether we realise it or not. It could be clutter of random items filling up the nooks and crannies of your home, or it could just be closet clutter. So I sat down and cleared my clutter. I went through drawers, tossing out things that I’d kept “just in case” and things I’d kept “because I’m not sure what to do with it”. Take a big black bin bag and just toss. If you have not looked at it or thought about it for months (or in my case, years) its time for it to go. I took to my store room and cleared out my shoes. Tossed out the ones that were beyond repair and that I never wore anymore, and set aside those that are still wearable but that I don’t. Tossed out old shoe boxes and rearranged things so it was neat and tidy again.

work at home

I then did something I’d been wanting to do for a long time. I set up my study/home office :) One trip to the hub of home organization, Ikea and I finally had a proper work area. Next on my list is a good comfortable work chair and I’m all good to work from home whenever I need to (or blog, whichever is relevant) :)

If you believe in feng shui, one of the tenets is exactly this. Clutter encourages the pooling of stagnant chi when what you need is for chi to flow. A very simplistic view, but it helps clear your mind even as you clear your clutter. Tossing out things helped get rid of old ghosts too. My next project is my closet and I plan to be brutal about it! (and then I can justify clothes shopping yay! 😉 )

Spend time with friends

yankee candle

Make that good friends. Friends you can have a laugh with. Friends you can sit around and talk crap with. Friends with whom you feel as comfortable in your T-shirt and shorts, sitting at a streetside “dai chow” restaurant eating good food while being bitten by mosquitoes, as you are dressed up in your finest and having la-di-da drinks in an up market restaurant. Friends who see you are on a hiatus and deliver gifts to help that hiatus along – scented candles and lavender tea. So zen now, I’m horizontal 😉

Figure out your strengths and what you want to do

2 friends spoke to me separately about my taking a blog break, and what they said stuck in my head. One said to be sure I was doing what I wanted and enjoying it; and the other told me to ignore the external stresses and not to let them get me down. That was what triggered my epiphany.

I realised that I quite like my day job. Its challenging and keeps me in my creature comforts and frivolities and luxuries so I’m not about to give it up just yet. I also like blogging. It allows my creative side to develop and I love writing my thesises… theses? thesi? LOL Ok, my blog posts :) I have a new found love for photography too. But I also worked out that I don’t enjoy blogging about makeup looks.

Doing looks or makeup and taking photos of myself just isn’t my speciality if its not related to how a product works. My strength lies not in my makeup skills, which are rudimentary at best. The thing I do best is apply lipstick – kid you not! 😉 I can’t interpret looks, nor can I even pull off anything very elaborate, mainly because its not something I am all that keen on. Sounds sacrilegious I know 😀 I like seeing how things work and making them work, so I wear enough makeup to look polished, but I’m not an artist nor am I very imaginative. Art was never my favourite subject, writing was. That realization was helpful because I don’t have to feel any more pressure to conform to the perceived mould of a beauty blogger for better or worse, and I can get on with what I love :) Of course I’ll still provide swatches and how a product looks wherever necessary. Helpful things like that won’t change but knowing what I dislike and coming to terms with it helps :)

Oh and there’s also more to beauty and being a woman, than just makeup or skincare. It might not sit well with some, but it pleases me to talk about other things that I like too from time to time. If doing this breaks the “beauty blogger” label, c’est la vie! I’m comfortable with it 😉

Learn to say NO

chocolate banana loaf

Yummilicious Chocolate Banana Loaf Cake @ Zang Toi Cafe Parkson Pavilion KL

One of the key tenets to living a happier life is to learn to say No. Its hard sometimes, but when it has to be done, it has to be done. So, I now choose to operate on a “Do it my way or no way” principle when it comes to demands on my time and effort. Knowing your worth and knowing what you want to do helps a lot in saying that one syllable word “No” as it does in saying that other one syllable word “Yes” :)

Its ok to get help

More often than not, we want to sort out our problems ourselves where possible. But realistically, that can sometimes make things worse as you sit around digging yourself deeper and deeper into your rut. They don’t call it a rut for nothing! So, get help. Someone to give you a hand to help you climb out of your doldrums. Someone who has the skills you need to achieve the goal you want. Its ok to get help. Sometimes, that’s the first step towards heading back to normality :)

Look on the bright side

Positivity begets positivity. I talked about this once before, but it is worth repeating. When dark clouds are overhead, its very easy to allow yourself to be dragged down. Finding the bright side and focusing on it is the challenge, and something I forced myself to do. It does help you know. When I started looking on the bright side of things, and stop being so morose and negative, I have had quite a few positive experiences, and so long as I don’t waver, it can only get better.

What do you do to get out of a rut? Do you sometimes feel like you’re just stuck with no way forwards nor back?

There maybe some changes going on around the blog, or there may not, and there maybe a couple of bumps in the road while I get my blogging mojo back, but for the conceivable future, hey! I’m back in action! 😀 Thank you for sticking it out with me, everyone. Regular transmission should resume shortly :)

xoxo

LeGeeque November 1, 2012 at 9:05 am

YOU’RE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *hugs*

November 1, 2012 at 11:22 pm

For better or for worse, yes I am 😀 *hugs*

Sunny
November 1, 2012 at 9:08 am

Hey Paris, nice to have you back! Sounds like you sorted A LOT out in your short hiatus, and I’m happy for you!

I let it go for a bit and try to remember why I started doing something when I’m in a rut. Spending time with friends definitely helps, and so does changing the routine up a little in general. It’s easier to look at things from a different perspective that way :)
Sunny recently blogged…Let’s Talk Volume: Redken Volume 04 Full Effect Mousse & Shu Uemura Volume Maker ReviewMy Profile

November 1, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Hi Sunny, thank you so much for your kind words here and in the previous post :) I guess things clicked faster than I thought so hey, time to get the nose back to the grindstone! 😉 BTW I haven’t had the chance to go around the blogs but congratulations on the new website – it looks amazing 😀

Tammy November 1, 2012 at 9:10 am

Nice to see you back! Double rainbow on your birthday, double luck they say! 😉

November 1, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Thank you Tammy! Double luck sounds like an awesome omen! 😀

Tracy November 1, 2012 at 9:10 am

Yay! I’m so glad you’re back! :)) GROUP HUGZ

All of your points are amazing and I am taking them all to heart. I’m glad you figured out what you like about blogging and about your strengths. I’ve been learning I like doing more creative posts, but they take a lot of time to do and to think of. So for me, I think I’ll be slowing down more and not just posting reviews all the time so that I can do what I want to do. Soon. Deep breath. :)

November 1, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Wheee! *hugz* I realised that we should just take back our blogs, Tracy. Do what we love because we love it not because we want to fulfil an obligation and your creative posts are amazing stuff so its ok even if you take a while. We’d all appreciate it more because of it 😀 Counting down to your Disney break yes? 😀

Beth Maiorana November 1, 2012 at 9:11 am

Wow, Paris. How did you know that I was in a rut and needed this “talking to” (me and how many other armies of us humans …?). Thank you for sharing yourself with your subscribers. Indeed, we do depend on you and love you and care and look forward to hearing from you regularly. We are your friends and you are ours!! Isn’t that nice to know? Anyhow, thank you thank you for all your efforts. We so appreciate you … xoxo Beth in Pgh;-)

November 1, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Beth, you are very sweet, thank you! I love that we are all friends even if just online and a rut is all too easy to fall into and really hard to climb out of. I hope you start feeling better soon. Thank you again 😀

Connie
November 1, 2012 at 9:12 am

I’m glad you’re back! I’m still in a rut and my makeup are still in bags

November 1, 2012 at 11:29 pm

First thing, Connie is to get your makeup out of the bags and organized. You’ll feel much more inspired when that’s done – hope to see you back soon!

Alice Chong November 1, 2012 at 9:24 am

Reading your blog seems to be a daily ritual for me for the past 6 months, love to see you back :)

November 1, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Thank you Alice – it means a lot to me and I’m glad to be back 😀

Hanny Daforcena
November 1, 2012 at 9:32 am

Woots! PB is back!

Great advice, PB! I really needed it! Heh heh heh. But for now, I’ll concentrate on another form of writing – essays, formulas and calculations >.< Yep, it's that danged time of year again…
Hanny Daforcena recently blogged…Hanny’s Halloween 2012 Look: Pink Barbie! (Inspired by Michelle Phan’s Zombie Barbie Youtube Video)My Profile

November 1, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Woot! 😀 Is it exam time again already? Good luck!

AnT November 1, 2012 at 9:36 am

Welcome back Paris dearie!! 😀

Hugs~ Hugs~ Hugs~ :)

November 1, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Hugs AnT! 😀 Thank you so much for the birthday wishes in the previous post too 😀

AnT November 22, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Hugs hugs hugs dearie Paris B! Welcome back!! 😀 Tee hee! 😀

AnT November 22, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Ops! I missed out the last sentence :(

It’s my pleasure! 😀

Esther Neo November 1, 2012 at 9:46 am

*hugs* is good u know that u need a break. Don’t until ur head is under water before you shout HELP.

November 1, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Thank you Esther and the next time I feel like I’m sinking, I’m going to remember your words – “Don’t until ur head is under water before you shout HELP.” 😀

curlylocks November 1, 2012 at 9:51 am

Welcome back paris! Long time reader, long ago commenter:)
I have to say, those are some fantastic points. U have really inspired me.. and not to mention I’m really glad u r blogging again! Even if u don’t do strictly makeup related stuff , I think I would still enjoy your product reviews. I have come to attach great value to them and always look to ur opinion before deciding. Here’s to hearing from u more !

November 1, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Hi Hi! I remember your comment handle 😀 Thank you for the support and I will still have a focus on beauty, just maybe mix it up a little once in a while. I’m very humbled that the reviews have been helpful for you. Thank you 😀

Efrain
November 1, 2012 at 10:04 am

Paris I’m glad you’re back, when I read your last article I was like “Oh no!”; but as you said it was for your happiness so it was right.

So, I like to read a happier Paris and don’t mind about writing a lot, your readers will be always here because of the quality.

XOXO
Efrain recently blogged…Muestreando (II)My Profile

November 1, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Aww thank you so much Efrain! It might have been a longer break if nothing had clicked in my head 😀 I’m very thankful for your support and for sending me the picture of the pan de muerto! 😀

Efrain
November 2, 2012 at 3:06 am

Your welcome Paris, in fact I didn’t eat pan de muerto in the whole month, but my parents bought it and when we were starting to eat I said: “wait! First take me a photo eating it”, they were like o.O and my sister took it.

P.S. It was strange not reading you.
Efrain recently blogged…Muestreando (II)My Profile

November 5, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Hahaha! That was so funny! Your parents must have thought you were nuts – thank you 😀

Mei Ping November 1, 2012 at 10:06 am

Welcome back !!

It’s good to know that you have done things which got you out of the rut.

I was also trying to get myself out of the rut a while ago, with clocking at least 12 hours daily in the corporate world until opportunity comes aknocking allowing me to work from home.

So far, I’m glad to have made the decision to do what I’m doing now from home. I guess when you are stuck in a rut, changes are inevitable.

November 1, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Hi Mei Ping, thank you for your lovely words on the previous post and on this one. I seem to remember you mentioned your dilemma about whether to work from home and I’m glad you took the plunge and are happier for it! A rut can only hold us for as long as we want to wallow in it, and really, we shouldn’t 😉

Rahainah
November 1, 2012 at 10:16 am

Welcome back Paris 😀 *hug* *hug*

November 1, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Aww thank you Rahainah! *hugs* It almost feels like a party in here 😀

peach_ November 1, 2012 at 10:17 am

The day I decide to check blogs, you’re back! I’m really glad to hear the time off was well spent. Knowing your strength and weaknesses and not being ashamed of them feels so good! I often read your posts while ignoring others of the same subject because you have a distinct voice and point of view that I enjoy. Keep posting what you love and we’ll keep reading. :)

And oh, I can’t agree more with clutter! It’s one of the easiest ways to lift my mood. And it doesn’t have to be a huge closet overhaul, either; if I just clear one small area or throw out things inside one drawer, I instantly feel 10x better!

November 1, 2012 at 11:48 pm

This, Peach, is what we call serendipity 😀 Thank you for the kind words in the previous post and for the even kinder ones in this. Means a lot to me *wipes tear* 😉 I think there’s something inherently therapeutic about clearing clutter, even if just from a small corner of the house. Having things neat just makes me feel so much better (even if I almost immediately mess them up anyway)

Jas Min November 1, 2012 at 10:19 am

Welcome back! Glad things sorted themselves out. =) Just for the record, I actually prefer your makeup of the day look compared to other beauty bloggers cos yours looks more feasible, realistic and not intimidating for novices like me to try. So you’re absolutely right about not conforming to the norm because you being you is what everyone is here for. Keep it coming!

November 1, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Hi Jas Min, thank you so much for your kind words previously and here. I’m glad the looks I’ve done are helpful for you :) Its pretty much how I look just before I run out the door – guess I just don’t have that sort of patience to labour over a look just for a photograph (also I’m just not that creative 😉 ) and its good to know too that makeup can be unintimidating to put on 😉

xin
November 1, 2012 at 10:33 am

welcome back! glad that you are out of the black hole already 😀
i think the best way to reorganize the chi is really taking a break from everything, doing nothing else at all other than enjoying the moment of peace.
xin recently blogged…Random Updates: When the Itchy Hands Get InspiredMy Profile

November 1, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Haha yes, managed to extract myself from the hole 😀 I think we all need zone out breaks once in a while – helps rebalance the chi as you say

Honey November 1, 2012 at 10:34 am

Welcome back! Group HUG, HUG, HUG!!

Declutter, yes we need to do this and here now is the correct time. Check out pinksofoxy video/blog. She’s recording her process and it is so inspirational. We’ve all been weighed down by consumerism, that we forgot the good stuff that we already have.

Btw, we love you as you are :)

November 2, 2012 at 12:02 am

Aww thank you so much Honey *hugs* I’m glad no one is running off screaming coz things may change even as they stay the same 😀 Thanks for the rec for pinksofoxy. I took a look at some of her decluttering videos and you’re right. She’s very inspirational! I was doing a lot of what she was doing too – clearing out makeup and skincare and setting them aside for friends and I also found someone who does makeup for projects and would appreciate having stuff for her kit so it worked out perfectly! I do wish there was a shelter or somewhere I could pass along stuff to people who would appreciate it more than I do. Gah! 😛

Jenn
November 1, 2012 at 11:00 am

What a timely post, PB. I’m super stressed out with work and my personal life currently – wish I can take a week off work to run away to somewhere and just chill and get my center back! Life feels so much like a stalemate now because I can’t run away from either, and I feel like I can make no progress either. Gah – what a horrible combination!

It must be a wonderful time of self-reflection and rest for you!! 😀 I want to see a double rainbow too – have yet to come across personally!

ps: I declutter too when I’m stressed – though that brings about the not so good part of actually throwing out things that I actually need 😛
Jenn recently blogged…Product Review: Tresemme Thermal Recovery Nourish & Renew Conditioner for Heat Damaged HairMy Profile

November 2, 2012 at 12:12 am

Jenn, I must be a mind reader 😀 I’m sorry to hear that you’re stressed and with work and personal life too? Must be a really rough time. Is is even possible to just take a day off, just to rebalance yourself? I find it sometimes helps and make it a weekday so everyone is away at work and you know you don’t have to so thats one step to being happy already :) I usually declutter in stages. So if after a few rounds of decluttering and I still see the same things lying around, its time to go. Of course, I sometimes end up tossing stuff I later need but c’est la vie eh? 😉

Tine
November 1, 2012 at 11:42 am

Hello hello! Good to see you on the blogosphere again!
Right, now that you’re back, it’s almost time for me to skaddadle for my break. Hee hee hee 😛

PS: Amen to decluttering. Clear floor, clear desk, clear mind.
Tine recently blogged…Beauty That Won’t Break The Bank: Haircare (Under $10, $20 and $50)My Profile

November 2, 2012 at 12:13 am

Haha we must be taking turns to go on a blog break 😀 But I feel you – there’s a lot of nonsense going on online so going offline is the best way to avoid it. Enjoy your break Tine and come back refreshed (with lots of stories to tell, I’m sure!) 😉

Vissi November 1, 2012 at 11:48 am

Welcome Back Paris, glad you’ve sorted things out. *Hug* *Hug*

November 2, 2012 at 12:13 am

Thank you Vissi! I’m glad I did too – missed blogging! 😀

nani November 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Hi Paris!! Glad that you are back. :)

Great post indeed for your coming back post.

“It maybe stormy but at the end of it will be a lovely rainbow” is your sentence that i like the most. It’s what i would keep on telling myself, whenever i am down too. Although most of the times, it’s harder to look at the bright side when you are breaking down. Btw, you have pointed out a number of things that is relevant for our human sanity. (a bit on the dramatic side, hehe….)

PS: Yaaayyy for MWS upcoming posts!! Looking forward to it.. :)

November 2, 2012 at 12:17 am

Hi Nani, thank you for your support and kind words 😀 I did hope that what helped me will help someone else break out of their rut. Its such a depressing place to be in but you’re right. Its very hard to look on the bright side when you think its just all darkness and gloom all around, but I’ve learned to look hard because somewhere in that doom and gloom will always be a sliver of light :)

nani November 4, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Yes, you are right, PB. I shall learn to look deeper and harder for that sliver of light. Thanks.. :)

Liz November 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Glad you’re back. I missed your posts.

I’m on my first week of a 3 week leave at the moment and I totally know what you mean by just zoning out at home. Although I’ve been more of a good girl and spent my afternoons walking/running at the beach to boost my fitness level. My next step is also to clear the clutter in my room but I still couldn’t find the motivation to do it yet. Procrastinating is way more fun. I will then finish off my last two weeks travelling solo to Siem Reap and Penang. I really want to have private time to myself without talking to family/friends but it’ll be impossible with my mom texting me every 2 to 3 hours to make sure I’m still alive. =_=

November 2, 2012 at 12:21 am

Thank you Liz, and 3 weeks! What wouldn’t I give for a 3 week break 😀 It sounds like you’re off to something good at any rate. Exercising is a good way to boost one’s spirits too. The first step to clearing up is always the hardest so do it this way – break up the room in to small manageable parts. Say, do your vanity table today, your bedside table tomorrow… that sort of thing. It gets easier and once you get started, its easier to move along. I know how you feel too about wanting time just for yourself. I’m sure your Mom means well and I was a little irritated with family too during the week but I realised that sometimes its better to be bugged than never to have family to bug you at all :) Enjoy your upcoming trips! Penang is a gastronomic haven 😀

kuri
November 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Very valuable, organized post.
And I admit to being very happy that your break was short!
Most of what you state makes sense,and not just for blogging. Thanks; I will try to apply this to my life. I am in the midst of a cleanout of my apt. and it has been eye-opening how much stuff I can really get rid of. Right no I’m having some difficulty in finishing my wardrobe purge before I start shopping! It’s oh so tempting to start already 😛

November 2, 2012 at 12:22 am

Hi Kuri, I’m glad it was short too 😀 Any longer and I might have forgotten to come back 😉 I did hope for the advise to work for everyone because I think we tend to get caught up in things a lot of the time and forget how important WE are :) I can’t wait for the next public holiday break to get a head start on my wardrobe cleaning 😀

Rin November 1, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Hi Paris dear! *group hug*

I’m glad to see you here again. I’ll take note on all your thoughts. Lately I’m going through a pretty rough time with myself. I’m always thinking I’m not good enough and keep on comparing myself with others so that I’ll pressure myself to do better and better. I think in a way it’s good to keep myself motivated but in another way it also makes me feel even worse. I should learn more on how to accept the fact that some things aren’t my forte and however hard I try, I can never be good at them. I should focus more on my strengths and the things that I love and be good at them. Put more effort and enjoy them as I go along. Once in a while, I can take a step back just to evaluate myself to keep myself in check so that I am not so lost and still on the path I want to take. Thank you Paris for sharing your thoughts and experiences ^^ You’re not just a beauty blogger, you’re much more than that. You reach out to us too. We feel you. THANK YOU.

November 2, 2012 at 12:25 am

Hello Rin! *hugs* Thank you so much for your kind words before and now – means a lot to me :) I think I know what you’re going through now because I’ve gone down that road too and its a really bumpy and rough ride. As you have said, having a basis for comparison gives you the push to better yourself, but there comes a time when we have to realize that sometimes, we can’t. We all have our individual strengths which is what we should discover and develop and nurture. There is so much we can do these days unlike before so don’t pile on the unnecessary pressure. There is a lot more to life :)

giddy tigress
November 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Wow….amazing what a break can do! I would love to have all that me-time to declutter and reorganize too…and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Welcome back! And you’re darn right…you ARE good at writing! 😀
giddy tigress recently blogged…Eight Years AgoMy Profile

November 2, 2012 at 12:26 am

Haha thank you so much GT! I can imagine you would appreciate the me-time, especially now. But I also know you won’t trade now for the world :)

beetrice
November 1, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Had to stifle a giggle when I saw “so zen now, I’m horizontal” 😛 But welcome back!! *hugs*

It’s about time I get around to decluttering as well – nothing like a clean canvas to start over on 😉
beetrice recently blogged…Updates, updates, updates…My Profile

November 2, 2012 at 12:27 am

Oh yes, we all need that brand new canvas and you have one! Perfect excuse to start tossing out what you don’t need so you don’t carry clutter back and forth 😉 Thanks Bee!

November 1, 2012 at 2:39 pm

{bear hugs}
I was happy to see your post update in my timeline this morning. Good to know the break helped, and it was a very efficient one since you got so many things sorted out during that very short hiatus :-)
I hate clutters so I throw things out all the time. I’m still a firm believer that the blog belongs to you and you can write whatever you want. We got your back, girl 😀
Lily recently blogged…Lancôme Holiday Collection That BlingsMy Profile

November 2, 2012 at 12:29 am

*hugs* Thank you Lily! Yes, it was a very surprisingly efficient break – I’m glad I took it since it helped me put things in perspective :) I wish I was as efficient in tossing out stuff as I go. As it stands, I have to declutter every now and then or drown, I guess LOL! 😀 Good to be back

shuaddict
November 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Fantastic post! Glad to have you back one week felt like a really long time :)

November 2, 2012 at 12:29 am

For you too, huh? 😉 Thank you so much :)

gio November 1, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Welcome back, Paris! *hugs*
gio recently blogged…Product Review: Astral Light & Creamy All Over MoisturiserMy Profile

November 2, 2012 at 12:30 am

Thank you Gio! 😀 *hugs*

Tuti November 1, 2012 at 3:54 pm

it’s my lucky day. i feel that something missing in my daily reading, so i just tried to click your blog and here you are :) honestly, i follow few bloggers, but PB yours is the one i love the most as it is not only about beauty that you write. so keep it up and at the same time enjoy life. spare some time to sniff the flowers or even drink it (i notice you have lavender tea, hehe)

love from bali :)

ps. perhaps holiday in bali? good idea :)

November 2, 2012 at 12:31 am

We must have a connection, Tuti! 😉 Thank you for your lovely kind words before and now and I’m very happy that you’re able to identify with what I try to put across. It gets really old writing all about beauty all the time 😉 Oh and I would LOVE to visit Bali again – seriously! I need some of that “babi guling” 😉

Sze Ling November 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm

~Group Hug!~

So happy to hear that you’ve sorted things out. 😀

Gotta love Ikea for organizational furniture. Love the customization. And about work chair, better than one with really good back support. Comfort is king here. Don’t want to risk hurting your back.

And de-cluttering is my favorite thing to do. It feels liberating to get rid of stuff that has just been THERE (for no particular reason). LOL. And I “spring clean” my closet every year. 😉

Stay happy and beautiful! <3
Sze Ling recently blogged…Honey Wheat Pound CakeMy Profile

November 2, 2012 at 12:33 am

Eeks! *hugs* Thanks Sze Ling! :) I have to agree with you about Ikea. It cost less than I expected to get more than I originally planned so it was all perfect! I also realised that a good and comfortable chair does cost a LOT 0_0 But you’re right. With the amount of time I spend in it, its better to get a good one. I need to toss out some old clothes – I’ve had them hanging in the closet since I moved in years ago… and never worn them! >.<

dom
November 1, 2012 at 5:24 pm

welcome back!! i was sorely missing your posts. i think i shall declutter soon too :) good feng shui!

November 2, 2012 at 12:34 am

Thank you Dom! Decluttering is chicken soup for the soul 😀 And good feng shui too 😉

Jyoan November 1, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Yay! You’re back. Although I understand the need for timeout, I also really miss having a daily dose of MWS.

I think you’ve said it all! Sometimes all we need is rest, sitting by the window and drinking tea. Enough. =)

November 2, 2012 at 12:34 am

Aww thank you Jyoan – it didn’t feel right not blogging either. I guess that’s what routine does to you 😉

S. Drama&Makeup November 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I’m so happy you’re back Paris. I haven’t been commenting a lot lately because I’m superbusy with my new academic year and with some family issues. But I’ve been reading everything you wrote and I missed you when you were on your break. I’m happy to see you’re back and I’m going to follow your tips, they were just what I needed. x

November 2, 2012 at 12:36 am

Thank you so much S. Thank you for your support and I hope your family matters and school ease up soon. It must be rough having both on your plate at the same time, so don’t forget to take a step back whenever you need it. Things will work themselves out in the end :)

Vivi
November 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Welcome back!!!! Glad you came back because you ‘missed’ it and not because you ‘needed’ to. :)

I wish I can also take a break from everything and go into zen mode… not really blogging because I don’t think I blog enough but more from work and chores.

The part about decluttering is highly effective but sometimes really hard to do. I went through it during the recent long weekend and I was surprised to find 2 big black trash bags of things I wasn’t really using but still keeping for who-knows-why. I had freed half a cabinet’s worth of space from things I don’t use anymore — which in a way was sacrificing all the really good shopping prospects I had let go off because I thought I didn’t have space anymore.
Vivi recently blogged…EthicBioskin Organics: Really, Really Premium Handmade Skincare Products from Etsy! (Review + Giveaway)My Profile

November 2, 2012 at 12:46 am

Hi Vivi! You’re right – it would have been tragic to have to return because I had to so I’m glad it didn’t come down to that :) We sometimes think taking time off is hard, but I’ve found that the hardest thing is to actually do it because I think some of us subconsciously fear losing out or missing out on things while we’re “away” so letting go of that and taking that time off is the first step to peace of mind 😉

Polly November 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Hi Paris, I don’t usually leave comments (altho I read almost all of your posts, unless I’m super busy :-D), but this time I couldn’t resist saying: Getting rid of clutter is sooooooo therapeutic!!! And that double rainbow on your birthday is definitely a Godsend just for YOUUUU!
Thanks for showing us that you are only human and not that superbeing that manages a full-time day job and a blogsite sooooooo d__n well!!! :-) Just blog about what you love and are comfortable with; people will read your blog for who you are, even if one day it ends up that most of your posts are not beauty-related, haha!

November 2, 2012 at 12:48 am

Hi Polly, thank you so much for taking time out to leave a comment! I think you’re right about the rainbow thing – it was a Godsend indeed. I’d never seen a rainbow within touching distance before. All your support means more to me than you will ever know – and not to worry. The beauty posts will keep coming but then, so will others 😉

Junni November 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Hi Paris, I have been following your blog for the past 5-6 years as far as I could remember. Although I comment very seldom now, but I do read all your posts. Of all the so-called beauty blogs I followed last time, yours is the only staple read now. I think you ought not label yourself/your blog, no such a thing say ‘beauty blogger’ or ‘makeup looks’, leave it to the fashion bloggers :) I am comfortable with whatever you post. Cheers!

November 2, 2012 at 12:49 am

Oh Junni, I actually remember you from way back when! 😀 Gosh has it really been that long?! Thank you for all your lovely kind words – it means a lot to me, and you’re right. Labels are what we give ourselves and then we contort ourselves trying to fit that label so letting go is probably the best thing 😀 Thanks for sharing your thoughts – appreciate it!

Samantha November 1, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Yes i believe once in a while every1 will have that roadblock…i experience that earlier this year n when i sat down, think through abt it, its the job that is dragging me down as i no longer feel motivated, so i took the plunge,left my company of 4 yrs & start afresh at a new 1, things r looking good n i’m in my happy, motivated self again ;-).I agree on clearing up the clutters (i have neverending clutters btw), u will feel refresh once u c ur room in better condition..sometimes i just go for nice cup of coffee or watch my fav drama & just not think too much to get out of a rut. Good to hear u r doing well, take care 😉

November 2, 2012 at 12:50 am

Thank you for sharing your experience, Samantha :) I’m glad you took things in your hands and did what felt right to you and that it worked out for the better! The last time I felt terrible about my job, I took the step to leave it too and I think it was the best decision I ever made 😀

Lavender November 1, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Hi Paris

It’s good to take a break and spend time alone. I cleared some mess in my house last weekend too and the whole process made my mind clearer. I have to clear my closet too. And I love the cabinet and table that u fixed.
Oh and I forgot to tell you that the rainbow is a symbol of God’s promise to His people. I remember reading it in the Bible. and yes God will bring us out from the stormy seas. I have been there and came back.
And another thing, you can reduce the number of posts in a week if it demands too much of your time. We will understand. Actually i am amazed that yo can post almost daily. If you have to cut down, pls do so. Learn to say NO. You need to rest too. Don’t let the PR ppl pressure u ok? take care ya.
Lavender recently blogged…Talika Lipocils & Black – Blogger EventMy Profile

November 2, 2012 at 12:53 am

Hi Lavender, thank you for your kind words :) And thank you too for sharing the interpretation of the rainbow. It was an awe-inspiring sight because I could almost touch it, and isn’t something I’m likely to forget in a hurry. Sometimes, we need these sorts of messages to remind us of the beauty that’s life, and what we can’t control but which is beautiful anyway :) I’ll be sure not to let anyone pressure me again – things will be changing around here and hopefully, for the better for me and for everyone else :) Thanks for the support and advise :)

Swati
November 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

lovely post, Paris and you are right about positivity :) glad that the break helped you :) and, welcome back..waiting eagerly for the regular transmission to resume 😀
Swati recently blogged…My beauty after baby? {Women Stuff}My Profile

November 2, 2012 at 12:54 am

Thank you Swati 😀 Positivity begets positivity but finding that silver lining is sometimes the hardest thing to do :) Regular transmission should resume very soon 😀

Lavender November 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Hi Paris

In case you are interested to read more abt the meaning of a rainbow

Lavender recently blogged…Talika Lipocils & Black – Blogger EventMy Profile

EL November 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Now where am I going to get a slice of that yummy cake at this hour of the night?!

welcome back!

November 2, 2012 at 12:57 am

Hahaha sorry about that – tomorrow maybe? 😉 Thank you EL

HapaGirl November 1, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I love your wisdom, Paris. Your words really spoke to me, as I am a graduate student who is always “go go go!” but rarely stops to figure out what TRULY makes me happy. I will try to follow your lead and give myself space to breathe and be happy whenever I can. And remember, Whatever you choose to do, we will all be here to support you!

November 2, 2012 at 12:58 am

Thank you for the support and for all your kind words here and in the previous post. It means a lot to me! And yes, we get so caught up in the rat race that we forget about the most important thing of us – ourselves. We all need a little reminder and refresher once in a while :)

Lisa November 2, 2012 at 1:24 am

Welcome back!
As you went on a hiatus, i went on my ‘mini’ one too. Ha!
But yes. A break from my pc and what’s app as well. I feel so much better from these little breaks. Sometimes i feel that i’m chasing after too much information online etc and replying to too many conversations/expectations on what’s app. A break was good to set priorities such as to what is important to reply and knowing when to stop giving out too much at times etc etc… And most importantly, it assured me that it’s ok not to be a slave to technology and yes, learn to say no to people and it’s really ok not to meet expectations of others.
Thanks for this timely post. It’s a great breakdown for one like me who can’t take any break from work for now to ponder over these pointers. I’m going to read it a couple more times and drill the points into my head to stay focused. First of all, i’m going to declutter my makeup stash this weekend in half an hour. A time limit will help me decide quickly what really i need/like/will use and don’t need/gone bad/disdain ? 😉

Can i say this again but I’m so happy you are back! :-)

November 5, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Thank you so much for the warm welcome back Lisa :) I’m really happy to be back too, and although I do find it hard to wean myself away from technology, I must say that the few times I have, I feel absolutely liberated. Its like without all the need to be constantly connected all the time, we can actually live and enjoy the moment. Something that doesn’t happen much anymore right? I hope your decluttering session went well! :)

Kay November 2, 2012 at 2:26 am

Hi Paris, what a great post! I’m glad you are back and feeling good and whole and centered again :)

I think your decision to blog about things in life aside from valuable make up tips (I started tightlining and love it!) is a terrific one because I also love your tips, comments, observations about life, etc. and the discussions they trigger. Heck, anything you write about is worth reading!

Please continue to take care and if you post less often or take more vacations, that’s perfectly fine. We love you but you owe it to yourself first to be healthy. Life is too short to not enjoy the now!

November 5, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Hi Kay, thank you so much for the support and encouragement. Means a lot to me to know that not everyone is here just for the beauty stuff (although that will always be the mainstay of the site :) )

Mari Ohira November 2, 2012 at 5:15 am

I do need to follow some of your tips! My place is a mess and I need a break from work – it is very rewarding, but it can get very stressful. Besides, my blog has been abandoned for ages! I really need to clear my mind and get my things organised. But for the time being, an escape seems a good alternative. =^.^= I’m travelling soon to visit the capital of my country.

November 5, 2012 at 10:19 pm

That would be Brasilia? 😀 I remember that you had started a rewarding new job the last time we “spoke” so its great to know its going well for you. But a break from work is always welcome! I hope you have a great time 😀

Mari November 7, 2012 at 5:05 am

Yes, it is Brasilia! I’ve been to Paris and I have yet to see Brasilia! Shame on me! Brasilia seems to be a great city for architectural sightseeing, so I’m very excited to go there. I’ll show you the pics later.

My job is indeed very challenging and I love it to bits, but do I get tired from it! It sucks the life out of me… And the trips revive me! It’s a great combination. 😉

November 9, 2012 at 11:48 am

I know how you feel, Mari. There are parts of my country that so many tourists visit and I’ve never even been there! Its embarrassing for me to admit it LOL Hope you enjoy your trip!

Pearl November 2, 2012 at 9:49 am

Hi paris, sorry I just realized u posted up today..i ve been missing u! Welcome back n I hope everything goes well with u! And I m so glad to hear that happy voice behind the text

November 5, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Oh no need to be sorry, Pearl 😀 I think its going to take a while before it cuts through everyone’s consciousness :) Thank you and its good to be back!

Leila November 2, 2012 at 2:02 pm

First of all, WELCOME BACK! It’s nice to know your time away was refreshing. I really missed your posts, didn’t realize how much they were a part of my day, even though I did have other blogs to read (and I usually don’t miss most of the others when they post less). I think I’ve said it before, but part of the reason people stick to certain blogs is because we like the “voice” that comes through in the writing and I certainly missed your voice Paris!

This post resonates with me, because over the past year or so, I’ve been in a sort of rut myself. I’ve already been trying a lot of the things you’ve mentioned and it helps, but somehow, it’s still nice to see it all out and see that I am along the right path.

Surprisingly, the one about clutter turned out to be quite important to me. I’m not a messy person in the slightest so when I let clutter build up, it’s awful, so I’ve learned that even with important things to do, I shouldn’t let keeping it under control slip from priority.

What I wouldn’t give to go abroad somewhere for a couple of weeks! It’s been a while and I do love travel. A change in atmostphere (and climate) would be refreshing. I don’t have the opportunity now, because of studies, so I’m looking forward to next year when I finish.

On another note, I like that you don’t force yourself to exclusively stick to makeup and skincare, it gives nice variety to the blog and sometimes it’s refreshing! Some of my favourite posts were about travel advice! Just keep doing what you like, because that’s best for you and it shows through. After all, you are doing this for free.

Oh what a beautiful rainbow! Nature’s birthday present to you ^-^
I have always loved the symbolism associated with them, hope and beauty after the storm. How did you manage to photograph it so well? I always have such trouble with them.

Looks like I’ve written my own thesis of a comment! Anyway, glad to have you back and a belated Happy Birthday!

November 5, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Hi Leila! Thank you so much for the very uplifting comment. I am most gratified and very happy to be back again amongst my online friends 😀 I’m also very happy to know that not everyone here reading is here just for the beauty stuff (which will remain the mainstay of the site) because it can get a bit stale doesn’t it? 😉 I love writing about travel too. I wanted to branch out into a travel blog once but didn’t travel enough to justify it. Still, I will be sure to slip in bits and pieces now and again. I think we all enjoy that.

I only managed to get this rainbow so clearly because it was quite literally outside my window. I opened the curtains and there it was! It was quite surreal. Most of the time, we just see it in the sky don’t we? Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment :)

ceej November 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm

welcome back! glad to see you writing again. *hugs* from manila

November 5, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Thank you Ceej! *hugs* back to you from KL! 😀

Ting November 2, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Welcome back, Paris! :) glad to know you had a good break and shooed away the dark clouds. 😀

Since I don’t have the luxury of having extended peaceful time outs at the moment, when I feel pressure mounting to a summit, I will go for full body massage, hair cut or just walk aimlessly in a department store by myself. Before I have a family, I loved to bury myself in waterstones (the bookshop) reading everything. Usually children books are good because they are simple, creative and funny. :)

November 5, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Thank you Ting! 😀 A full body massage is a glorious luxury. I had one over the weekend after a very long time and I’d forgotten just how wonderful it can be! It must be nice being able to have good and affordable massages where you are – and you’ve just reminded me that I haven’t gone on my annual Bangkok trip – gotta remedy that 😀

Becca
November 2, 2012 at 6:51 pm

YAY Paris–I’m so glad you’re back! I was already starting to have MWS withdrawals!!! 😛

And again, I’m so glad you brought up the “makeup looks not being your specialty” thing. I’ve been practicing for so long trying to improve my makeup skills so that I could finally start posting FOTDs on my blog, but I finally realized that it wasn’t happening bc I wasn’t interested in it! Applying makeup isn’t my strong suit either–I just like learning about the products and talking about them and playing with them. But I’m not creative when it comes to doing looks–I have a certain way that I like to look and I stick with it for the most part. But because its a pretty minimal look (most of the time) that doesn’t show up very well on camera, I decided why change how I do my makeup (i.e make it darker, bolder, brighter, apply more, etc.) just to post FOTDs? No one should feel bad if they aren’t good at something–just focus on what you love and people will appreciate your passion!
Becca recently blogged…The Sample: WEI Golden Root Purifying Mud Mask Review & PicturesMy Profile

November 5, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Haha Thank you Becca! Its good to be back 😀 I’m glad you understand how I feel about the makeup looks thing. I have done it and I know I can but its just not me. I never liked the camera and am only really tolerating it now 😛 I do find that putting together a look does help people visualize how to use a product especially eye and lip products. I think that’s helpful within a review post so I will try to do it whenever I can. It will just feature less from now on :) You’re doing a great job so don’t feel the need to change either!

jk November 3, 2012 at 1:28 am

Hi, greetings and welcome back PB. Rejuvenated, revitalized and raring to go! Blog on!

November 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Thank you JK! 😀 Blogging on! 😀

LSY November 3, 2012 at 10:16 am

I’m little late but welcome back!!! So good to know that you have sorted things out. I just came back from Shanghai and remembered your post about Shanghai when I was visiting the museums and walking about, I guess my point is, your blog is more than just a beauty blog, it is how you connect with your readers and how you tell your stories that makes it so engaging :)

November 5, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Hi LSY thank you for the hearty welcome and I am so gratified that you remembered my post about Shanghai! 😀 I hope you had a great time – did you go to the museum? It was such an eye opening experience for me. I love sharing these little bits of trivia (because I like collecting them) and I’m very happy that so many of you are here not only for the beauty stuff :)

Jennifer November 3, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Hiya Paris! I’m so happy to see you spring back into good form :) All’s good! Welcome back. You have read my mind again :) Your post was something that reached deep into me because I’ve been stuck in the rut for the longest…but was afraid to press the pause button, seek sanctuary time, grab time out etc to reorganize my life and thoughts. And I haven’t done so even.

But I’m so glad that you did it which was the proper and responsible thing to do. We all owe ourselves that but often we end up taking ourselves for granted in pursuit of other things. Nothing brings more warmth than to see you back and your post is filled with so much sunshine and joy that it shines through in the post itself.

Year end is fast approaching. I honestly don’t know how I’ve led this year. I too, hope that I will do some self recollection and be with myself again. Thank you so much for sharing this…you’re more than a beauty blogger, but a friend, confidante and sister that I know I have :)

Hugsss!

November 5, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Hi Jennifer, thank you for the hearty welcome :) I remember you haven’t been having the most wonderful time this year, but I think as you said, you owe it to yourself to hit the pause button and centre yourself. Its the only way to move forward without losing balance so I hope that before the year is out, you find a little time to just call a “time out” and get things on even kilter :) You know where to find me if you need a sounding board :) *hugs*

Cece November 3, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Hi Paris,

Blog about the things you like. Anything at all. I, for one, have become your loyal reader because I like the way you write :)

*hugs*

November 5, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I appreciate that so much, Cece. Thank you! *hugs*

Sam
November 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Fantastic post Paris, well done. You make some points that are very valid to me – especially the ‘say no’. Most of the people I know don’t know I blog so they tend to underestimate my (sparse) free time.
I’m going to bookmark this post and come back to it.
Love your home office!

November 6, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Yes, and when we have the spare time, we just want to spend some me-time right? Its important to say no because I think we will eventually thank ourselves for it :)

Jen November 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

So glad that you’re back Ms. Paris! Btw, do you know the ‘Secret’?
It says that when you dwell on the negativity, the more it will stay.. The more you think of negative thoughts or ideas, the more it will likely to happen..
So you have to stay positive, and always think of happy thoughts or positive ideas.. And to really get the positivity going or flowing, you also have to get rid of the negativity that surrounds you.. May it be people, ideas, thoughts or things that has a negative effect on you.. Hope that helps! 😀

November 6, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Hi Jen! It’s good to be back and you’re so right about the Secret! I came across it a few years ago and tried to practice it when I can. It doesn’t get me parking spots in malls all that easily still, but for attracting positive and negative energy, I have noticed that it works. When I’m feeling up, good things happen and when I’m down, it sometimes can feel worse. So importantly, it’s good to look on the bright side where possible. Hopefully then we do only get the good stuff right? :)

Janesapphire November 6, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Wow..its great to have you back!! Finally, there’s good post to fill my day once again. You have surely inspired a lot of us to start writing (myself too) and discovering what we enjoy. Like myself, i enjoy more on trying body care items, skin care and something just some random stuff. :-))

November 6, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Hi there! Thank you for the welcome back :) I’m glad to have inspired you to write and that you’ve learnt what brings you joy. It’s what makes life so good 😉

Rosa November 13, 2012 at 7:50 am

I’m a bit behind the times, but I am glad you’re back.

November 14, 2012 at 10:59 pm