This Essentially is the One Cream Mask I absolutely a-Dior

in Mask,Product Reviews

Cheekiness aside, I’ve had this tub of cream mask since April when I told you that I was hoping to discover a new favourite skincare item after rediscovering the One Essential serum. Well, I did! icon biggrin This Essentially is the One Cream Mask I absolutely a Dior

dior one essential mask This Essentially is the One Cream Mask I absolutely a Dior

I’d totally forgotten to blog about this mask but I was reminded of it after I spotted it in the special GWP pouch given to MWS readers who went for the one on one makeup lesson. I don’t use cream masks very much because they are a hassle to clean off, but I must say that I like this one, because it does almost everything it says its supposed to do. That’s the best sort of skincare for me.

The Capture Totale One Essential Ultra-Detox Treatment Mask is a complement to the Capture Totale One Essential serum that was launched 2 years ago. Like the serum, the mask works on “detoxifying” your skin surface, with 10x higher Détoxinyle™ to detox the skin, and leave it glowing and healthy after use. Once your skin is “detoxed” products absorb more quickly and more easily and are therefore more effective. That is, in a nutshell, the philosophy behind One Essential – it is a pre-skincare product, that helps the rest of your skincare work better.

When I saw ads for the mask in a mag one day, I knew I had to try it. Yeah, who said ads in mags don’t work eh? icon razz This Essentially is the One Cream Mask I absolutely a Dior

I’ve had it since April which is roughly 6 months now, and I’m starting to hit the bottom of the tub. With each scrape of product, I now see the bottom so that means it will soon be time to replenish icon razz This Essentially is the One Cream Mask I absolutely a Dior Not bad, considering I am quite heavy handed with this.

The product is a light pink gel cream in a tub. The box comes with a spatula included, but if you plan to purchase it, please make sure you specify to the SA that you want the scraper that comes with it. When I purchased mine, I asked if it was in there, and the SA said yes. I bought it, and immediately opened the plastic wrapped box only to find that there was no scraper in there. The SA wouldn’t believe me, and opened up another box to show me that it should be included (maybe she thought I was lying and wanted a second one) but there was none in that box either. So she then rather reluctantly handed me a separate box containing a Dior scraper, rather like the ones you use for baking cakes LOL!

dior one essential mask4 This Essentially is the One Cream Mask I absolutely a Dior

The problem with mine is that after 6 months, its cracked so I can’t use it anymore anyway. You can see it in the picture above, the roundish plastic scraper. So, why do you need this scraper then?

The recommended technique for using this Ultra-Detox Mask is to take a generous amount and spread it all over your face. You will feel a cooling effect, and maybe even a slight tingling. Then, leave it on for 5-10 minutes for the product to penetrate into your skin and then remove excess using the scraper. You can wash your face at this point, or just continue on with your regular skincare.

I tried this, but I felt that it was quite a waste of product. I mean, this was expensive! I wanted to get the most out of it, so I devised my own way of using it that I must say, works for my slightly dry and not overly sensitive skin. I use the included spatula, and dig out globs of gel cream, one glob for each part of my face. I told you I was generous with this.

dior one essential mask2 This Essentially is the One Cream Mask I absolutely a Dior

Then, I spread it all over so there is a thickish layer of product, and then I go and watch tv or read a book. I kid you not! I watch something for about 45 minutes (that’s about the length of a regular 1 hour TV programme sans ads anyway) by which time, the product would be mostly absorbed into my skin and there is no excess to scrape off. It feels dry but with a sticky film on my skin.

I then wet a piece of cotton pad with toner – I use the Diorsnow Lotion or Capture Totale lotion or whatever else toner I have on hand – then gently rub against my skin in circular motions. This removes the excess gel-cream from the mask without drying out my skin, and I don’t really waste any product or benefit by washing it away. It usually takes a while to get most of the product off.

But when its done, I love the feeling. My skin feels soft and smooth and yes, brighter and more radiant. The results are quite immediate and if you have dull tired skin to start, you will notice it almost immediately. I love using this after a tiring spell of work or stress. Perks up my skin a treat!

Based on my current routine, after removing the mask (and toning my skin at the same time) I spritz on some floral water and then follow up with my serum and face oils. Everything seems to go on more easily and absorb more quickly after that. Skin the next morning looks good, and is an excellent base for makeup.

One additional little benefit I discovered was that if I had a pimple that was forming, using this mask on it seems to kill it somehow. Or if I have a stubborn cystic acne spot, using this mask seems to soften it and help it go away more quickly.

Two things I don’t like about it are the rather strong fragrance which I find quite soothing, but strong; and the packaging because getting every last bit of product out of the tub is practically impossible. To do so, I will likely be really cheap and use a piece of cotton pad to wipe out Every.Last.Bit so there is no wastage. Its pricey and I want to make sure I get every last drop. So, repackaging it is an excellent idea, Dior!

When I started out, I used this mask once a week, but then I forgot it. Now I use it maybe once every fortnight or whenever I feel like perking up my skin. It really does do a good job for my skin and I love it!

In a nutshell

The Dior Capture Totale One Essential Ultra-Detox Mask is a gel-cream mask that is a wipe off or wash off mask, depending on your preference. I prefer to not wash it off so I don’t waste the product. My skin handles it well although I don’t wash off, but I do clean off excess with toner moistened cotton, after allowing most of the product to absorb into my skin. I do find that results are almost instantly visible, with my skin just looking better after use – brighter, smoother and if I have spots, it kills them somewhat. I like this and my skin seems to benefit from regular use of this and the serum, so yeah, I’m happy icon smile This Essentially is the One Cream Mask I absolutely a Dior

Pros: Skin feels smoother, brighter and more radiant almost immediately, With regular use, my skin looks and feels better

Cons: Pricey initial cost, Strong fragrance, Packaging can result in wasted product

Who will like this: Anyone who has dull tired skin that needs perking up, Anyone who wants an anti-aging mask

Here is the ingredient list for those interested.

dior one essential mask3 This Essentially is the One Cream Mask I absolutely a Dior

I will say its not one for the young ‘uns unless you are already showing signs of aging and fatigue on your skin. The Capture Totale line is targeted for those who have anti-aging concerns so I would put this in the 30s and up demographic, unless you have a highly stressful job that takes a toll on your skin then you might appreciate this coming to your rescue icon wink This Essentially is the One Cream Mask I absolutely a Dior

Have you tried this one? Or have you tried the One Essential Serum?

I’m a huge fan of both. I’m on Bottle #2 of the serum (so pleased they came out with a larger 50ml bottle) and its doing good things for my skin with regular use. Fell off the bandwagon once, but I promised, I won’t again. I know Lily over at ChloeAsh likes this mask too so that’s 2 great minds thinking alike icon razz This Essentially is the One Cream Mask I absolutely a Dior

Dior Capture Totale One Essential Ultra-Detox Mask Price: RM360/50ml Availability: Dior counters

kuri
October 11, 2012 at 8:58 am

Despite the price, after a review like that I really want to try this! Also, would make a good gift for my friend :) I know she likes Dior skincare.

October 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Haha if you do try it, I hope you will like it, and that your friend does too! (what a lovely friend you are!)

rinnah
October 11, 2012 at 9:01 am

My heart stopped when I saw the price. >.<

I've been using the serum sparingly on my face at night and so far *touch wood* my sensitive skin seems to be doing fine with it. I now wonder if the mask would be effective too…
rinnah recently blogged…Watsons Beauty Day OutMy Profile

October 12, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Wait till you see the price of the serum, then maybe I’ll need a defibrillator :P BTW your sample is still with me! ;) Good to know the serum works for you and I know what sensitive skin you have!

peach_ October 11, 2012 at 9:21 am

This sounds like a great rescue product! I looove relaxing with a mask after a long day, too. I can see why it brightens and is great for oncoming pimples since it has salicylic acid in the ingredients. That’s my exfoliator of choice. :D

I’ve bought my mom the serum version and she likes it on her normal skin. I haven’t used it on myself because it seemed too heavy for my combo-oily skin, but I know to check out this line if/when my skin changes.
peach_ recently blogged…Nokia Lumia Pink Nail Polish by Duality Cosmetics Nail PakMy Profile

October 11, 2012 at 9:31 am

peach_!!
Just to let you know, I recommended this range to a friend with combo oily skin prone to breakouts. She used it for about 2-3 months now, and her skin has calmed down a lot. In fact, she noticed her skin is less greasy. Worth a try?

peach_ October 11, 2012 at 10:09 am

That’s awesome! I guess you just never know with skin care until you try it for a while yourself. :)

October 12, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Yes! I spotted the salicylic acid later and I think that’s the key. You are absolutely lovely to get the serum for your mom and its great to know that she likes it. I personally do not think it particularly heavy, but then, I do have slightly drier skin so I just can’t remember what its like to have oily skin anymore LOL!

October 11, 2012 at 9:29 am

Thanks for the link love! So true… about great minds ;-)
I just ran out of this mask, so I must repurchase soon. Good thing there’s Jusco voucher day soon. Yay!
I love your tip about wiping it off. I’ve been washing it off, so I’ll definitely give your method a go. Coincidentally, I’m using Diorsnow Lotion too. Awesome!
Lily recently blogged…Is Lash King really the King of Mascaras?My Profile

October 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm

You’re welcome! I’ll be picking it up during the next round of promos :) I tried washing it off initially, but it took too long and then I had to use a separate cleaner to get it off, and I thought “Boy! What a waste!” I hope the cleaning off with lotion trick works for you!

Becca
October 11, 2012 at 9:42 am

Wow, I’m surprised that it helps your pimples go down a lot faster. I was thinking that this would probably break out my acne-prone skin, but who knows? It sounds really nice. I really don’t know why all those high-end skincare brands have to make their products SO scented though.
Becca recently blogged…The Sample: Jouer Mineral Powder Blush in Peach Bouquet Review & SwatchesMy Profile

October 12, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Rinnah in a comment above has terribly sensitive skin but found it worked for her! Try to wheedle out a sample from the counter and see how it fares for you? ;)

Kaolee
October 11, 2012 at 9:50 am

Thanks for the review! The price is a bit high, but I would love to try!

October 12, 2012 at 1:35 pm

You’re welcome, it is certainly pricey, but I do like this very much! :)

jk October 11, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I got a mini tub as a sample and now, can hardly wait to try it after reading your write up above. The sweet SA earnestly advised me to keep the cream on for no more than 5 minutes – hinting (*slight dramatic pause*) because of the 10x higher detoxing effect.. I had the impression that if I did not take it off after the 5 minutes, the next scene would be me screaming “arrrghhh I’m (or my face is) melting, I’m melting”.
Hence, kudos and many thanks for braving the experiment of keeping it on longer to “make it worth the $$” – and sharing the info.
And oh – the tip on mixing the One Essential Serum with foundation is superb!! Love the feel, though I am not sharp eyed enough to notice any glow on me. However, I am making sure to try and use up my samples of OES first before dashing out to buy.

October 12, 2012 at 1:45 pm

HAHAHA I actually had the same thought too. What if I leave it on and I have no face left? Happily it isn’t so ;) But it is pertinent that my skin isn’t sensitive so leaving it on doesn’t bother it. Don’t leave it on too long the first time k?

Sze Ling October 11, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I knew this would cost a bomb. :P Considering it’s Dior and it’s from the One Essential range. But hey, if it does all that it’s claiming, then it’s well worth the price, IMO. :D

Going to skip this, for now. I’m planning to get the Kiehl’s Rare Earth mud-mask-thing. And the Clarins HydraQuench cream mask. Tried a 15ml size of the cream mask, and it’s awesome. Thanks for the recommendations. ;)
Sze Ling recently blogged…Wholemeal Milk LoafMy Profile

October 12, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Haha yes, it does do all it claims for me – whew! Else I’d have been mad for falling for the ad :P Glad you like the Clarins mask! Its a good one for hydrating the skin. I use it occasionally too.

casey23 October 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm

You’ve almot described it like it’s a sleeping pack, but I really want to buy this for my mother! What are the additional benefits of this from a moisturizing sleeping pack, Paris?

October 12, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Hmm not really a sleeping pack. I haven’t tried actually sleeping with it, just leaving it on longer :) It helps to detoxify the skin, so skin feels smoother, clearer and also has anti aging benefits. Not hydrating per se but not drying :)

xin
October 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm

i tried this last night with the sample i got. i am not sure if it really detoxified my skin as i think i have accumulated quite a lot after a few days of outing. but it does feel nice and soft like sleeping pack. i think i was too generous with the amount used last night coz i really wanted to detox. LOL and maybe i should have left it slightly longer. was still thickish when i washed it off
xin recently blogged…Goodbye PhuketMy Profile

October 12, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Yeah, I find if I follow instructions then I have to scrape off, then wash off. But if I do it the way I do it, then you don’t need to put it very thick, and once its dryish and a bit tacky, its quite easy to clean off :)

Renee
October 11, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Thanks for the review! I had a Dior facial and I THINK they used something like this, I can’t really remember the name (I was in heaven so I didnt pay attention, haha!). But the facial really made me notice Dior’s skincare stuff ’cause it was really great. I like the sound of “detoxing” your skin, with all the crap we put on it I think it’s needed XD

x Renee
Renee recently blogged…Are BB Creams Worth the Hype?My Profile

October 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Oh yes, they use this during the facial for sure :D I can’t use some ranges of Dior skincare but some like Capture Totale works well for my aging skin LOL! They could do with cutting back a little on the fragrance though.

Bugs October 11, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Ooh, the sound that it kills cystic acne got me interested… on my next shopping list it will be.

I also like to use up every bit of my skincare. For this matter I prefer product in tube so that I can cut open and scrape all, or tub with no blind corners on the neck that I can’t get to. With this mask, I guess if it is really good and if I really like the product, then I’ll juz have to bare with the packaging and use cotton to get the rest out. But if Dior is reading, a change of packaging will get extra points from me. ^_^

p/s I think they don’t have sample for this mask, GWP maybe… which means I’ll have to purchase and hope it suits my skin.

October 12, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Sadly, no I don’t think there’s samples available for this mask but its worth asking to see if they can decant some for you to try? No harm trying ;) I do hope Dior changes the packaging soon, to something a little more easy to get everything out of because for now, getting into the corners is a pain!

Chia Callie October 11, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Ooooo…. couple of months back, SA gave me samples of this or the serum (I can’t remember) when I bought some lipsticks from Dior. When she told me how good it is, I was thinking “Sure or not? Another marketing gimmick” deep down. I chuck it aside once I got home and now, I read this. I’m going to go dig the samples out now.
Chia Callie recently blogged…Dinner on 11.10.2012My Profile

October 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I know, the first time I came across this, I thought “GIMMICK!” but when it actually did work for me, I’m like “Ok, so I have to set aside money to replenish!” :) Its generous of the SA to give you samples of this. Hope you’ll like it!

Chia Callie October 12, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I can’t remember if I’m given sample of the mask or the serum. Try as I might last night, I couldn’t find the samples. I have a feeling I threw them away. Not that they were given months ago but rather, I don’t want to waste space on them. What a dumb move. Ha! I think I’ll have to go back and try asking for some. Worst scenario, I’ll just purchase 1 tub. After all, I’m in my early thirties. ^^
Chia Callie recently blogged…OOTD #1 to #7My Profile

October 15, 2012 at 2:35 pm

woah! I hope it works for you if you decide to buy it. Maybe don’t be as gung ho as I am the first time you try it :) Good luck!

Juan
October 14, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Dior products are just so expensive. But if it works it should be worth every dime, right. Damn… Now I am curious to try it. But the price is such a put off for a mask…

October 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Yeah, its pricey considering its supposed to be a clean off mask, that’s why I don’t LOL! Maybe if you have vouchers or something, you could give it a go then? :)