The one blush brush I’d ever need is the super soft Lunasol Cheek Brush N

in Brushes etc.,Makeup,Product Reviews

Ahhh I never talked about my Lunasol Cheek Brush did I? I’ve owned it for months now and I love it! Its the only cheek brush, or blush brush as most of us will know it by, that I use daily.

lunasol cheek brush The one blush brush Id ever need is the super soft Lunasol Cheek Brush N

The Lunasol Cheek Brush N is a very lovely and soft brush made from 100% blue squirrel hair. Animal lovers may bristle (ho ho!) at this, but I’ve personally found that I get the best makeup results with natural hair brushes, especially for powder blushes so I’m sorry if this doesn’t do it for you, it does wonders for me.

The brush is deceptively light. I say deceptive because I’m used to some heft in makeup brushes, mostly due to the wooden handles. The handle of the Lunasol Cheek Brush N is a light plastic maybe? And the ferrule is a light metal so the whole brush is light yet very balanced.

The brush head does look a bit small, and if you come from the MAC blush brush circle, you may be a bit nonplussed to find that the head is flat and not round and fluffy. I used to use the Shu Uemura #17 Pony so I was quite used to the concept of a flat head blush brush. It places colour better and more precisely where you need it to go.

Now, the bristles on this brush are about the softest I have ever come across. It most certainly is the softest that I own.

lunasol cheek brush2 The one blush brush Id ever need is the super soft Lunasol Cheek Brush N

I have read that the makers of Lunasol brushes are Chikuhodo, a famed brush maker from Japan. The brush is very well made, with each hair well placed so I don’t ever get stray hairs sticking out randomly. When I wash the brush, I just shape it back and when it dries, each hair has fallen back into place so the shape of the brush is as perfect as it was before.

I like how balanced the brush looks. The shape is smooth and balanced.

lunasol cheek brush4 The one blush brush Id ever need is the super soft Lunasol Cheek Brush N

Left: Side elevation Right: Plan view

You can see that on its side, the brush is slightly flattened, but tapered so it is a little fatter around the middle, and tapers towards the top. From the top, you can see that it is well packed and dense, but yet it is soft and pliable. If I’m not mistaken, the hairs are uncut and arranged according to their natural length, so they don’t feel scratchy against skin at all.

I have used soft brushes before, and one of my complaints is that soft brushes sometimes do not pick up colour very well. This however, isn’t true of the Lunasol blush brush. This one picks up colour very easily from all my blushes, no matter how pigmented or unpigmented they may be!

cle de peau brush2 The one blush brush Id ever need is the super soft Lunasol Cheek Brush N

Here’s how the brush looks next to the Shu Uemura #17 Pony and the Cle de Peau Cheek Brush reviewed here. Its larger than the other two, but not too large that it makes it hard to have exact placement of colour on cheeks.

With a strong coloured blush, like the Tarte Natural Beauty I showed you earlier this week, I just lightly swipe the brush over the powder, dab it on my hand, and then apply it to my cheeks. I have no need for a stippling brush or a fan brush or any other brush one might use to diffuse a strong colour. This Lunasol brush picks up colour, deposits it where I want it to go, and when I blend, blends it out nicely so it looks natural. With a lighter blush, I swirl the brush around a bit to pick up colour, before I apply to cheeks and again, end up with a lovely diffused, soft blend of colour.

lunasol cheek brush3 The one blush brush Id ever need is the super soft Lunasol Cheek Brush N

Its super soft on skin, applies all powder blushes like a dream (no more clown cheeks ever!) and blends the colour like nothing else I own. This is quite the perfect blush brush for me! I only own one – its too pricey to own 2! – but I sometimes wish I did icon smile The one blush brush Id ever need is the super soft Lunasol Cheek Brush N

In a nutshell

The Lunasol Cheek Brush N is a medium sized slightly flat cheek brush for applying powder blush. It is made from blue squirrel hair and the bristles are very lovely and soft. The brush is dense and very balanced in its make up, yet it is pliable and comfortably soft on skin, like a breath of air. I find that it applies and blends blush very well, whether pigmented or light colours. Ever since I bought this, I’ve not used any other!

Pros: Soft bristles feels lovely on skin, Blends colour very well, Picks up colour very easily, Makes blush look natural on skin

Cons: Pricey

Who will like this: Anyone who wants a blush brush that you can use with all colours of blushes from light to dark, Anyone who wants a good, well made, easy to use, no fail blush brush

The problem with good brushes is always the price. The initial outlay will hurt your pocket but if you take care of your brushes, they can last you years and even forever icon smile The one blush brush Id ever need is the super soft Lunasol Cheek Brush N I try to buy when I have vouchers or if there are special promotions for rebate vouchers going on at the department stores. That way, I at least get something out of it icon wink The one blush brush Id ever need is the super soft Lunasol Cheek Brush N

Do you own the Lunasol Cheek Brush N too? Love it as I do?

I am told that the RMK Cheek Brush also performs very well and when I was contemplating my purchase, I dithered between the two. As the two counters were close by, I went from one to the other to feel the brushes before I took the plunge and I chose Lunasol because it just felt nicer to me. I prefer the texture and don’t find it too soft, and its made my blush application as near perfect and natural as it has ever been. I couldn’t be happier!

Lunasol Cheek Brush N Price: RM150 (Thanks AnT!) Availability: Kanebo cosmetics counters

Hanny Daforcena October 3, 2012 at 8:41 am

I don’t have a proper “cheek” brush per se, but I do use a round-headed contouring brush for blush! ^.^ It works for me, so yeah, am not looking for one currently. Sometimes, I’ll even use a skunk brush hah hah. ^.^

It’s the MAC 109 dupe from Sigma, actually. I find that it deposits TOO much contouring color than I would like even with a light hand, so I use my tapered face brush for contouring instead.

Paris B October 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I used to use a round brush too and thought that it was the best way to apply blush till I got a proper blush brush and that turned everything on its head :D That said, if it works for you, stick with it ;)

Jenn October 3, 2012 at 9:17 am

RM180 is an AMAZING price for squirrel hair! :O I tried the one from Stila before and its so lush and soft… unfortunately I was just a poor fresh grad then and couldn’t afford to pay almost three hundred bucks for a brush. I bet this one feels amazing too… can’t wait to check it out! :D

Jyoan October 3, 2012 at 11:51 am

Stila’s one is 300?? Wow, SGD or RM, it’s still a lot of money!!! I never knew Stila is so expensive, thought most of their products are mid-priced.

Jenn October 3, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Yes! That particular brush was RM270 or RM280 if I remember correctly… I was drooling over it for the longest time ever! :O

Paris B October 3, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Just been told its RM150 so, its cheaper than expected LOL! But another reader also mentioned that it maybe a mix of squirrel + goat although the website I saw said 100% squirrel. Confusing but either way, its excellent stuff. Don’t bother asking the SA. None of them know. I tried :P

Jenn October 3, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Lol I know! The most epic answer I ever got from a SA is “Animal hair”
-____-

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 6:10 pm

LOL!!! I get that answer ALL.THE.TIME!

Jyoan December 31, 2012 at 6:35 pm

LOL! Really? My SAs seem to know their stuff pretty well! Especially the Shu Uemura counters. Maybe because Shu tends to have more animal hair brushes, so my SA can always tell me if something is goat or squirrel or what.

But honestly, I am not too particular about what bristles because I am happy with both synthetic and animal hair, so I don’t ask. If I have seen great reviews (like this one, Paris), I just run out and buy. No questions. =D

AnT October 3, 2012 at 9:26 am

Wow! Thanks dearie Paris! I have been contemplating too, RMK or Lunasol. Now I can’t wait to get this Cheek brush too! Yay yay! Yay yay! :D

Paris B October 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm

YAY!!! I did the RMK vs Lunasol thing and they are both wonderful, but RMK just felt a wee bit stiffer. Just a tiny bit. So I went with Lunasol :D

AnT October 3, 2012 at 9:35 am

Oooo. The cheek brush is RM150, face brush is RM220 :D

Paris B October 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Thank you!! *hugs* Rectified with credit ;)

AnT October 3, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Wuahahaha! :D *Hugs* My pleasure ;)

kuri October 3, 2012 at 9:39 am

lovely review! I don’t have a favorite blush brush, but Lunasol is out of my budget for now :)

Paris B October 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Yeah, its really hard on the pocket. Which are you using now, Kuri?

kuri October 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I’m currently using an ecotools brush. It’s okay. Eventually I will upgrade :)

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Oh yes, I like the Ecotools bamboo blush brush – its a good one! :D

reene October 3, 2012 at 10:29 am

My brush collection is laughable at the moment so I really want to just go get a set of good brushes and be done with it forever! But pricey, pricey.

Thank you for your review! I was considering this brush vs the RMK blush brush. I don’t have counters for either brand near me, so I will keep researching. Good to know you considered the RMK as well though :D. Not even going to consider Suqqu as it seems way out of my league.. lol.

Paris B October 3, 2012 at 12:40 pm

You’re welcome, Reene! I know how hard good brushes can hit the wallet. Its taken me years to splurge on one but I have to say its been worth it. So my suggestion is to save a little each month and some day, you’ll get there, one brush at a time ;) No need to go all out and get the whole shebang in one go :D I felt the Suqqu brush once but truth be told, I wasn’t sold, especially not at those prices. I’m also told that brands like Hakuhodo and Chikuhodo brushes are excellent but again, I’m not even going there. I guess I’m not “pro” enough :D

plue October 3, 2012 at 10:31 am

i have been rotating my cheek brushes and you are right, this one does seem perfect for all sorts of blush! Though I think it doesn’t work that well for baked blushes like the Bourjois one, I need a slightly harder brush to pick up the colours and then use Lunasol to blend it out, but maybe it’s because my baked blushes are a bit old and hard, so it might not be the fault of Lunasol’s brush at all!

Would that reason be possible ah Queen of Blush? :P

Paris B October 3, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Glad you think so too, Plue! I use this brush with Chanel Joues Contraste (baked) and it works fine too. On some of my older colours, I do swirl it around a little more to pick up colour but otherwise, I don’t experience a problem. I haven’t tried it with Bourjois blushes actually. I just haven’t been using them at all! :O

Becca October 3, 2012 at 10:40 am

Ahh I am always so jealous of you girls with your beautifully crafted, luxurious brushes…but obviously not enough to actually splurge on one. I have tried before but then I always end up caving and using the money to buy another blush or skincare product or something :P

Paris B October 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm

HAHA brushes can make or break makeup, I find, which is why I splurge ;) Do it, Becca! Your makeup will thank you! Although I’m sure you aren’t having a problem at all using your makeup effectively ;) p/s read on twitter about your accident. I trust all is fine now?

Tracy October 3, 2012 at 10:59 am

WHAT WAIT OMG. Is this better than my NARS Yacchio???? Do I need this fellow blush fiend?

Jyoan October 3, 2012 at 11:54 am

haha, yes, I want to know the answer to this one too because NARS is so opening here next month! =D And I’ve already set my eyes on Yachiyo. It’s kind of funny how the wait is so long that I start saving for NARS as if it were limited edition.

Paris B October 3, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Maybe now that its going to be available in Singapore, I could feel it and see if I really want (or need) it! I’ve been eyeing it for the longest time too! :P

Paris B October 3, 2012 at 12:44 pm

GAH! Tracy, you mentioned the Y word >.< I have been wanting that Yacchio brush forever but never got it (coz we don’t get Nars & I never thought to take the plunge online). I don’t have it so I can’t compare, sadly but this brush is so wonderful for applying blush, I can’t imagine blush life without it :D

Jyoan October 3, 2012 at 11:49 am

MWS is always sending me flying out to get something. haha.

I am obsessed about blush brushes. They are pretty much the only brushes I keep buying as though I need to collect the blush brush every brand in this world. It’s kind of funny how my brush stash has only one of the other types of brushes, but a terribly disproportionate number of blush brushes.

I mentioned I think I’ve reach brush nirvana in your Dior Nude brush post, but every time I see a blush brush, I feel like I need the other one. LOL.

But okay, I think the obsession is getting better, because for some reason, I think the Le Metier de Beaute blush brush will still be more suitable for me, and maybe, just maybe, I don’t need this Lunasol. hahaha.

That said, you are right about the price when it comes to brushes, especially with the LMdB one. I can’t help thinking that one just needs to pay a bit more to get a really good brush (not that my affordable Sonia Kashuk is no good, but I can feel the difference).

As for Shu Uemura, I am currently in love with their retractable goat hair brush. Sooooo nice!

PS: I am still going to check this out I think. =P Intend to look at Estee Lauder’s blush brush too, because it felt so good the last time I touched it.

Paris B October 3, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Haha good brushes are worth it :) I am taken by blush brushes too but since I got this one, I’m quite happy to just stick with it. Not wandering off and suddenly, every other brush feels so scratchy next to this, even Shu Uemura! I haven’t tried the LMdB one but I have never had a good experience with Estee Lauder brushes. They shed and felt scratchy but maybe they have changed them, like how Dior did :)

Jyoan October 3, 2012 at 11:56 am

Ok, I just realise how long that was. Ooops.

Hmm, but the Cle de Peau one isn’t as good? It must be ridiculously expensive because the Cle de Peau lipstick is already quite crazy.

Paris B October 3, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Actually, the Cle de Peau is just a step down from the Lunasol, to me. Feels less dense and a bit more floppy than Lunasol, but applies blush well too. I got it online and it wasn’t terribly pricey. About RM100 I think (I got it on sale for about RM75), but I can’t find info on it, so I suspect its discontinued.

cc October 3, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Hi Paris,

From what I know, both Lunasol powder and cheek brush N is not made of 100% blue squirrel hair but of goat mix, as refer to their corporate site in Japan:

To my understanding, since early 2011, all new brushes are made mixed due to environmental concerns. Just wanna share the info.

Paris B October 3, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Thanks for the updated info CC! :) The site I checked (local so maybe not updated) here said it was 100% squirrel :) Still, its super soft and I can’t feel the usually stiffer goat bristles so either I got an older version or maybe it really does feel quite perfectly soft, even though its a mix :D

lazeny October 3, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I have this brush. Got it for free when FI bought a number of Lunasol Products at Narita Duty Free. Sadly, the handle broke off and I’m left with the brush head. I still use it though, because the brush is ridiculously soft and it gives a very diffused, glow-from-within look when I apply any kind of blush.

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 10:06 am

Oh my! Was the handle unfixable? Was nice for it to be given as a GWP though. And that you’re still using it despite the broken handle is testament to its efficacy! :)

jk October 3, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I guess it’s time for me to take the plunge and buy a proper powder and/or a blush brush. With the exception of my (gel) eye liner brush from Bobbi Brown, all the while I have been using only the freebies you get in the Christmas etc sets from Estee or from Bobbi Brown. Even when applying Meteorites powder (I can imagine PB gasping with horror! But at least I use a perfectly new freebie brush *sheepish*)
Baby steps though – powder brush or blush brush first? (Non-freebie eye shadow make up brushes will be for another day far far away)
Then comes which brand.. Lunasol/RMK/Shu Uemura/Sonia K and now I read about NARS .. choices.. decisions.. decisions.. choices..
Arrghhh.. zzzzpt – brain just shut down!!
(Wallet laughing hysterically)

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 10:10 am

Haha!! Personally I’d start with a blush brush. I didn’t get (and still don’t really have) a powder brush that I really love. So I just whatever I have on hand.

Start small but do your homework. Brushes are a pricey investment but a good one is worth it! Also, just because its highly raved doesn’t mean you have to get it or like it ;) Sometimes its to do with our preferences too especially for those who prefer something animal friendly :) Good luck with your hunt!

Junni October 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I love this cheek brush too! I am glad I make the perfect choice ;) Highly recommend it if your readers read this :p

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Hiya Junni, glad to know you like this brush too! Its a good one eh?

Sunny October 3, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Ah this one sounds interesting! I took advantage of a discount and got the Le Metier de Beaute blush brush. Still waiting for it to land in my hands, and I hope it’ll be everything I want it to be (of course I’ll keep you posted)!

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Was it the Zuneta one? I haven’t tried any LMdB brushes but they must be very nice – so many people seem to be talking about them all of a sudden! :P Hope you’ll like it ;)

Patricia October 3, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I would say blush is my favorite make-up trend, and I was having trouble aplying because of wrong brushes until I bought the Bobbi Brown blush brush. Now I realise how important it having the right tools to work with. Blush aplicattion now is much better and looks natural, easy to build up, little by little. It is pricy but I am happy with the results. I think it is better buy a good brush to start with, otherwise, we will keep collecting them until finally we realise we will only be satisfied with the good ones.

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Isn’t it great to discover how good tools can make mediocre products looks great? :D I’ve learnt the hard way too so I now have a couple of really good brushes I use all the time, and lots of average brushes that I make do with because I bought them back when I didn’t know better ;)

Sue Lin October 3, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I agree that Shu Uemura can feel a bit scratchy but it does disperse pigment pretty well, even for a heavy-handed person like me. You got me rather curious about the Lunasol brush. I do prefer the look and weight of bigger brushes. It looks fluffy and nice.

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I think the #20 Shu Uemura brush is better. I wanted to get it but it was out of stock so I got the #17 which I use when I travel because its such a compact size yet does a good job :D

Rahainah October 3, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I love you Paris! Thanks for reviewing this brush, although I know my wallet’s not gonna like it :D

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Haha… erm I don’t know how helpful I am, but get it during the department store sales e.g. Isetan today where you can get rebate vouchers back ;) Oh and I love you too, naturally ;)

Lily October 3, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I love my Lunasol blush brush. That’s what I reach for all the time! I wonder how it compares to Suqqu…

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I’m not even looking at Suqqu thanks to the scary prices LOL I think I’ve reached my limit with Lunasol or RMK brushes. Not too fussed about going any higher ;)

Zaggora Girl October 3, 2012 at 11:15 pm

This brush looks great, will definitely give it a try! How would you recommend cleaning this brush? :)

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I just clean it the usual way with baby shampoo or using Dove soap as per here.

Zaggora Girl October 13, 2012 at 1:44 am

Thanks for the great advice! :)

shusheshe October 3, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Looks good, though not terribly tempted because I’m currently saving up for chikuhodo brushes.

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I hear they are very good brushes but I’m quite tired of chasing after hard to get brands (and sometimes being disappointed in them) so I guess I’ll have to stick with these ;) I hear Chikuhodo and Hakuhodo are good brushes to lust over ;)

shusheshe October 8, 2012 at 10:33 am

I do have to go through escrow service to get those, but I’ve found the top notch quality to be totally worth it.

Kay October 4, 2012 at 2:53 am

That Lunasol brush looks nice! I prefer Asian brushes as they tend to be shorter than Western brushes and the quality is usually very good.

I started off with long brushes (160-170 mm) available in the USA but realized much later that mid-length brushes (120-150 mm) available in Asia are easier to maneuver, especially if they are eye brushes where I needed to get up close to the mirror. Although I have small hands, short brushes (less than 110 mm) are also not comfortable as my hands get cramped around the short length.

I replaced most of my brushes but it is a shame I spent so much before realizing that length played a role in ease of use, outcome and time spent in applying makeup.

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Wow, Kay, you sure put a lot of thought into your brushes! :O I do realise that for the most part, the Japanese brands are excellent for their makeup brushes. Even the brushes included in their palettes are of really good quality. I haven’t put a lot of thought into the length but you have made me want to go back and measure my most used brushes to see if the length does play a part in my preference ;)

M.Kate October 4, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Hi Paris! I really love your website as its so informative! I bought Bobbi Brown face brush and it was like I think RM140 or RM160 and thought that was super expensive..but reading a couple of review, i guess that’s normal for good brushes. I dont have that cheek brush…but would love to check out this one :) Tks for all those reviews…its great for someone like me always wanting to try out so many stuff but at times, not sure which to start with. One thing I can say that its hurtful on the pocket. I recently bought that Clarins double serum and Shaping Lift thingy. My husband kept saying why do I need so many things at the same time. I guess when one needs it, one have to have it..so addictive. Have a great day and keep those wonderful reviews coming :)

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Hi M.Kate, you are so sweet, thank you! :D Ooh you bought the Clarins serums! I actually do think that the face lifting thing works, you know. But I just get so lazy so after I finished my bottle I didn’t repurchase. I’m just not disciplined enough >.< Men just won’t understand our skincare obsessions would they? Tell him next time that if you have great skin you won’t need so much makeup… LOL! ;)

Jacqueline October 5, 2012 at 9:12 am

I have been thinking of getting this for over a year, every time I walk past a Lunasol counter I get very tempted. I eventually settled for a Hakuhodo but this has always been in the back of my mind. You are seriously tempting me!

Paris B October 5, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Haha I’m sure with a Hakuhodo you probably don’t need this one :) I haven’t tried that though so I don’t know how it fares by comparison but I think I’ve stopped looking. This is great and will do :D