Your Say: Do you take vitamins or health supplements?

in Discussions,Health

health supplements

Growing up, I remember being given multivitamins by my parents. Sometimes they were the chewable sort which made it easier. But when I grew up, I got lax. I would go through phases when I’d take vitamins or health supplements daily but then I’d miss my routine or forget and then that would be it – that thud of falling off the bandwagon.

Recently, thanks to chatting with some friends and family, I’m back on the bandwagon again 😛 Do you take any vitamins or health supplements?

I just picked up a general multivitamin over the weekend but I have been taking Omega 3 fish oil supplements for a few months now. Does it help me?

Let’s be honest. I can’t say. Can you really? The only way I think any benefits will be noticeable is if you have a problem and then take something and find your problem goes away. Otherwise, it would pretty much be preventative wouldn’t it?

Most of our vitamins and daily supplementary needs can be obtained from food, I’m told. But you know what its like for most of us. We often don’t eat as healthily as we like, nor do we eat enough of the good stuff. Sometimes, we skip meals or eat at odd hours and that can really mess with our systems.

For myself, I take the supplements and hope that it helps. Omega-3 is supposed to be good for the heart and skin so I guess there’s no harm in taking it. It doesn’t cost me very much and its as easy as popping a pill. I don’t know if its also helped with energy levels but I too find that I don’t get as tired in the day despite hectic schedules.

For me, the hardest has been finding a routine and sticking to it. I used to get nauseous when I took supplements in the morning, because I used to skip breakfast (don’t try this at home, kids!). It was mostly because I was lazy but these days, I have a healthy bowl of oats before leaving the house in the mornings, so once I established that routine, it was easy to slot in the supplements into my routine so I wouldn’t forget.

Do you take vitamins daily or a health supplement? Do you find it beneficial?

Like I said, unless you are taking something as a cure, its hard to say if it works but so long as I don’t suffer any side effects, I will take it and maybe add on other supplements in time to come. General good health would mean better skin, of course, and who doesn’t want that right? 😉

LeGeeque September 4, 2012 at 8:44 am

I’m on the Vitamin D bandwagon >< I'm on the extreme low end of Vit D deficiency and I'm extremely low on B12 which I need to fix with monthly B12 shots (hurts like a ()!**&@%&^!%^!$^!!!!!!!!!) but they work because I notice I don't get as tired anymore and I seem to sleep a lot better. With Vit D, I'm on 3 tablets a day (regular deficiency folks take 1 so you can imagine) but honestly, who isn't low in Vit D in winter? 😛 When I've fixed all of this, I'm going back on the bandwagon for regular multivites. Yes, Omega and fish oil is important. Coco takes it and her coat is glossy and healthy 😛

September 5, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Ouch about B12 injections and boo to Vit D deficiency :( I might have been low on Vit D back in the day when it was winter except I didn’t know 😛 Good to know that you are bouncing back. I hope to have a nice and glossy healthy coat too like Coco! 😛

Hanny Daforcena
September 4, 2012 at 9:08 am

I take EPO for my eczema and my highly irregular periods. When I was a kid, it didn’t really help much but things got better as I got older and then I started taking it more regularly.

If things don’t help on the period side, I will add bak foong yuen (hundreds of them Chinese herbal pills for ladies)
Hanny Daforcena recently blogged…Long-Delayed Review: In2It xTra Lasting Felt Tip Liquid LinerMy Profile

September 5, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I used to take EPO too and it did help me stave away the period cramps. I stopped taking it – got lazy as usual. Maybe I’ll add it back into my repertoire :)

ksuan September 4, 2012 at 9:12 am

A group of my former colleagues, all dudes who work out, gave me two bottles of their favourite vitamin supplements because they were “afraid you won’t eat properly during your Masters, so you’ll need an alternative source of the good stuff”. The vitamins are rather amusingly called Ultra Mega Gold. The guys take two every day, but since my body mass is literally half each of theirs, I take just one and they seem to serve me fine. I also take a fish oil capsule a day. It’s all become pretty habitual now, and I always feel like something’s amiss in the mornings if I don’t take my supplements with breakfast!

September 5, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Ahhh very nice of your colleagues to look out for your health! :) Now that I’m putting myself back on some sort of routine, it does get easier.

Janessa September 4, 2012 at 9:14 am

Nope, I don’t! I’ll occasionally take some vitamins but they’re the kids kinds so they’re basically like candy and taste better than some gummy candies. :]
Reading this post make me realize I should take vitamins haha.

September 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Haha well, I went for a while without taking vitamins too so you aren’t alone :) Besides, there is a school of thought that if you eat well generally, then vitamins are superfluous :)

Jyoan September 4, 2012 at 9:19 am

I do have Vitamin C and antioxidants, and fish oil supplement, because those are the only ones I feel I need. And I drink milk regularly to get calcium.

For ladies, taking Zinc and Magnesium supplements is also beneficial.

However, I often forget to take my supplements. =P So this post is a good reminder for me to take them!

September 6, 2012 at 10:13 am

I found that its important to establish a routine. When I didn’t take breakfast it was hard for me to get into a routine, but now I do, it’s become second nature in the mornings :) I tend to take vitamin C only when I’m starting to feel under the weather lol!

Issa September 4, 2012 at 9:25 am

awww, I take vitamins when my mom tells me to do so but after a few days, I tend to forget too… :(

September 6, 2012 at 10:15 am

Set it next to your morning or evening foods and you should remember after a while :)

amelie September 4, 2012 at 9:26 am

used to take a tablet of multi-vitamin daily for the past 20 yrs. have stopped, replaced with juicing vegetables, roots, gourds and fruits. it not only has vitamins and minerals but enzymes and all other co-factors. my skin now has the clarity & glow which i never had while on tablet. a word of caution, avoid all synthetic vitamins.

i try to get omega3, collagen and whatever the body needs from food instead of supplements unless there’s no choice.

September 6, 2012 at 10:17 am

That’s fair. Vitamins and nutrients from food would be my first choice too but I suppose that since I can’t always ensure I eat healthily or get the benefits from food all the time, taking multivitamins are my next best option 😉

xin
September 4, 2012 at 9:31 am

well…guess who is on a bandwagon? 😉
xin recently blogged…For the Greasy Scalp: BioTHIK Scalp Cleansing Foam and Intensive Follicle SerumMy Profile

September 6, 2012 at 10:18 am

Hmm… I wonder who….

babysaffron September 4, 2012 at 9:44 am

Hi….i’m taking USANA essentials and proflavanol C. And fish oil….

September 6, 2012 at 10:20 am

Hiya, not sure what they are except the fish oil lol! But I guess whatever keeps us going, right? 😉

Jenn
September 4, 2012 at 10:05 am

Oh… i’m a pill popper, the good kind! 😛 At one point I was taking Vitamin C, Multivitamins, Fish Oil, EPO, Glucosamine, Acidophilus and two kinds of idontknowwhat from Sunrider that my mum made me take. I must have looked like a complete healthnut (when I’m far from it… I was probably the most unhealthy at that point because I was eating junk everyday!)! Lol!

Nowadays I just take vitamin C, Multi-vit and fish oil everyday. Not sure if this counts as a kind of supplement, but I down a glass of liquid chlorophyll every morning too on empty stomach. With this combo, I find that I do not fall sick as easily. Like you, I also find that taking Multi-vit makes me less tired. Not sure if the fish oil does anything though, but I hope it does help in the long run! Hehehe! 😀
Jenn recently blogged…Product Review: Garnier B.B Cream SPF26 PA+++My Profile

September 6, 2012 at 10:22 am

Haha pill popper! That’s a lot of stuff to take! But since you were eating junk 😉 then it might be a good thing you were taking supplements too 😉 I tried taking chlorophyll too once but couldn’t get into the habit 😛

Efrain
September 4, 2012 at 10:40 am

Here I am again after don’t having time because of school. My doctor say I shouldn’t take vitamins in a time because Isotretinoin as a derivative of vitamin A stays on the body fat, so I have a supply of vitamin A for a while. About supplements I was taking Omega 3 but I didn’t buy another jar.
Efrain recently blogged…Mi opinión sobre: Clean-Ac Hidratante calmanteMy Profile

September 6, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Hi Efrain, how’s school been? I didn’t know about the storing of vitamin A in the body. How interesting

Efrain
September 7, 2012 at 8:47 am

Well school it’s OK with a lot of work (it’s my last year before university). And yes there two types of vitamins, one type can be dissolved in fat (vitamin A, D, E and K) and the other type can be dissolved in water (vitamin C and B vitamins).

anis September 4, 2012 at 11:03 am

I do take vit c, calcium+vitD ( to replace all that was lost during pregnancy n breastfeeding). Pestered by mumsy to take fish oil as I get flu from ppl easily. Also advised to take lecithin n garlic pills as every time I check my cholesterol it’s at borderline level. Blame the love for seafood. Now that I write it down, I was like, holy moly that’s a lot to take!

September 6, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Haha yeah it’s always the case isn’t it? We pop it all easily but when you write it down, it’s like whoa! I took garlic pills once but didn’t like the after taste 😛

Sharon September 4, 2012 at 11:06 am

I must have my vitamin c pills even if its the only supplement i take.
I find that it really boosts my immune system so that i don’t catch whatever virus is going around as easily n usually emerge unscathed *touch wood* i also need glucosamine for my knees especially i used to run quite a bit.

September 6, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I take vit c especially when I’m traveling (if nothing else) because I find it helps ensure I don’t fall sick on holiday 😀

Chin September 4, 2012 at 11:23 am

Hi, for years I have been taking vitamins & supplements. However I read recently that it might not be too good to be so dependent on vitamins as your body will fall apart if you don’t take them and you willfall sick the minute you stop taking them.

Also people have thistendency to detox their body all the time. Unless you eat junk food everyday,smoke, drink, detoxing your body too much strips all nutrients and vitamins in your body , so I don’t think it’s too good to detox so often.

That’s just my 5 cents worth

September 6, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Thanks for the info, Chin. I guess it’s a good thing I don’t bother with the detox thing then! Lol 😉

Becca
September 4, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I take fish oil, a multivitamin (the gummy kind–those things are so good! No trouble forgetting to take them there! Haha), and then switch off days adding an extra dose of vitamin D and B12 in there. But I ran out of the multivitamins 2 weeks ago and haven’t gotten around to getting more, so I just take the D and B12 daily for now. I also take glucosamine, sometimes a fiber chewy thing, and lately started adding chia seeds to all my juices (not really a vitamin supplement, but really great for you nonetheless!)
Becca recently blogged…The Sample: Kevyn Aucoin The Essential Eye Shadow Set in #1 Review & SwatchesMy Profile

September 6, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Wow that’s very healthy, Becca! :) i see a lot of people taking B12 I wonder if I might need that… Hmm… Lol!

Sukie September 4, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I take my multivitamins too! on top of that I also take Evening Primrose Oil (not on a regular basis because I find it difficult to swallow capsules) and peppermint oil capsules to help with the IBS :)

September 6, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Peppermint oil capsules are new to me! Hope it’s all helping :)

LSY September 4, 2012 at 1:41 pm

i take multi vits, vit c, vit e and glucosamine. i take them at night, after my night face routine and hopefully they work their magic whilst the body rests (in hope i wake up glowing in and out haha). but like you mentioned, it is difficult to tell if it is really working though.

September 6, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Haha a friend of mine tried taking at night and couldn’t sleep thereafter lol! I take in the morning so it keeps me energized through the day :)

Tine
September 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I take 5 tablets a day (4 big ones) >.< I'm like a sick person. Vitamin D because I have Vitamin D deficiency, Vitamin C because Mummy said I have to eat Vitamin C or else I'll get sick, evening primrose oil to curb PMS (doesn't really help though; I don't notice any difference), omega-3 capsules (husband is taking it, so I'm kiasu, must also take) and Elevit with folate (because we're *ahem* trying for a family, so must get ready). That's five whoppers daily 😛

September 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Vitamin D deficiency sounds like a common thing in winter. I was thinking back and realized that I might have suffered from it back as a student, but just never knew! 😛 good luck on the family thing 😉

Sze Ling September 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I have a routine that I’ve stick with for the past couple of years. It’s just Centrum and Fish + Evening Primrose Oil. Only one of each a day, with breakfast. It’s sort of “programmed” into my brain already, so I rarely forget. LOL. 😛

As for obvious benefits…hmm…I can’t really see any hard evidence on myself. But I just take it for the peace of mind. 😉 And hopefully it’d do me more good than harm. Hehe.
Sze Ling recently blogged…Monthly Favorites: August 2012My Profile

September 6, 2012 at 6:53 pm

That’s what I figure too – just take to be on the safe side 😛 glad to meet someone who is taking Centrum too! 😀

Petrina September 4, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I take loads it seems nowadays. Hb n his family are in the health line and they take even more! I have seen a vast improvement over the years but like you said- its not a short term thing. It’s long term and a preventative. Food, water and air quality are not the same these days not to mention stress & type of work ( staring at computers, lack of exercise, long working hours n driving!).

I normally take a multi vit, C,E, calc & magnesium & fish oil as a min but since I’m expecting the Vit D has been dropped and I’ve added Iron & Vit D as blood tests show I’m extremely deficient :(. Oh and I also take a probiotic! Helps my eczema heaps. I’m lactose intolerant ( mild but still troubling when I more than 2 cups of milk or more than 2 scoops of ice cream!!) so calcium is a must and magnesium helps with my restless leg syndrome! I take supplements at night as that’s when ur body is resting n repairing itself.

September 6, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I have to agree with you, Petrina. Even if we eat proper food, the quality just isn’t the same anymore. Even veges are full of pesticides aren’t they? Congrats on expecting! I can’t take probiotics cos it breaks me out but I hear it’s very effective for those who can take it :)

Marina(Makeup4all) September 4, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I am taking Philip Kingsley hair vitamins (3rd month already & you the course is 4 months) and I can see the results which makes me very happy!
Marina(Makeup4all) recently blogged…Dior Rouge Dior Nude Lipstick in 169 Grège Review and Lip Swatches. RaveMy Profile

September 6, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Haven’t heard of it, Marinabut healthy hair is a wonderful thing to have! :)

Sunny
September 4, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Not at this very moment no, but I just finished a supplement which helped me tan faster (some oil to prevent the skin from drying out and tomato extract. It worked really well for me and since I got tanned in no time, I felt less obliged to stay under the sun) and another that’s supposed to make my nails stronger (it also worked but the effect didn’t last. I might have to go back on it). I also used to take something that has enchinacea, which boosts the immune system. That’s something else I might go back on in winter because it’s too easy to get sick in this climate!
Sunny recently blogged…The Violet Doesn’t End with the Eyes… Estee Lauder Violet Crush Velvet Lipstick & Rebellious Violet GlossMy Profile

September 6, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Ooh I remember reading about it on your blog! :) I hear of people taking supplements to help with hair and nails but never found the urge to take them. I guess I’m more willing to take a health supplement than a beauty one lol!

Sunny
September 6, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Actually supplements for hair and nails are high on vitamin B’s, so it’s actually good for anyone who is low on vitamin B’s! It’s just that with my stubborn peeling nails I no longer know what it is that they want!
Sunny recently blogged…A Golden Legend: Shu Uemura Eyelash CurlerMy Profile

jk September 4, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I take my vitamins religiously. They are almost always the first things I pack for a holiday – even before the skin care/make up. Vit C, Lecithin, Glucosamine, Vit E, Fish Oil and Executive B Multivites for good measure in case anything else had been left out are the 6 (pill-form) chasers for my good old fashioned dollop of cod-liver oil. With lots and lots of water. The cocktail must somehow be working. Touch wood – I’ve generally been able to keep the flu at bay (mild sniffles don’t count) and have not taken any sick day off work for the past 8 years or so. (*pat pat back* :-D)

September 6, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Wooah!! Good on you (boss must love you 😉 ) I usually am not that diligent when I’m traveling but I usually pack a bottle of Vitamin C. Helps keep the bugs away while on holiday :)

Nellz September 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I’m on a 11 pills/day routine for about 2 years ++ now… Thanks to the husband who would routinely put out all the 11 with my morning cereal.

I used to be extremely low on energy, gets dizzy and cough often and suffered thinning hair. I’m now better, don’t cough and generally in OK condition, though I have low bp. Food intake is important I agree, but rarely get enough nutrition from daily meals..

September 6, 2012 at 7:04 pm

It’s great to know that the pills you’re taking hAve helped you, Nellz :) like you, I’m all for eating healthy but the fact is, as you have also pointed out, we may not get all the nutrition we need, especially when we eat out.

pockybean September 4, 2012 at 8:07 pm

supposedly take 2 capsules of fish oil daily but ive been lax lately 😀

September 6, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Lol! Time to establish a routine so you don’t forget 😉

shusheshe
September 4, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I take vitamin C when I’m sick, and iron supplements when I’m on my period. Sadly, I’m not very good at taking vitamins during other times because I just plain forget!

September 6, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Haha yeah, I take vitamin C in larger doses when I start feeling under the weather and it’s all too easy to forget otherwise!

Mira
September 4, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I take Pearl Complex for my skin. That’s the only supplements that I stick with bcoz I assume it as part of my beauty regime since it’s for my skin. As for other supplements like Vitamin C, I only take it when I got sick or when my parents nagged me to take it. haha…

September 6, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Pearl Complex, how interesting. I don’t really take a beauty supplement anymore. Sticking to the health ones for now 😉

Irene September 4, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I used to eat a lot of junk food and to keep sickness at bay, I took B Complex, Vitamin C, Iron, EPO, Cod liver oil and Bilberry.

Now I’m upping my fruits intake and I just take Shou Wu pills to maintain my hair and energy level. The occasional time where I take vitamin supplements, I feel very little improvement on my overall health.

So I would have to say…. supplements are expensive nutrients substitute that’s near unnecessary if you eat healthily. *cough* wasteofmoney *cough*.

September 6, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I’d like to think health supplements work from the inside 😉 but its one of those things. We just can’t tell if they are working. I know for a fact I don’t quite take enough fruits and veges as I should so maybe I should stick to popping a pill to make up the difference :)

Ting September 5, 2012 at 12:10 am

I take the kiddie version of vit. C tablet (fruity flavour, yum yum!) every night because it has become a routine with my girl. Weird huh? The vit. C is to help boost her immune system, and we take with her as we were teaching her about sharing. The routine just sort of continue… hahaha

I am a big believer of eating colourful fruits / vegetables to get all your essential goodies. Best if these are organic fruits/veg! 😀

Good luck ladies!

September 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I agree about taking more fruits and veges, Ting! I just don’t get enough >.<

ana September 5, 2012 at 4:00 am

i SWEAR by vitamin c!!! it makes my skin radiant and it is noticeable. but i find that only the effervescent kind absorbs better. and to make sure that my body really absorbs the vitamin c goodness i divide my dosage by 300mg three times a day. i swear my skin just glows, scars heal a lot faster….. and my skin is just flawlessss!!!! 😀

September 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Wow Ana, that’s seriously wonderful to know! I find that using a product containing vitamin C on the skin works. Dry well for me too! :)

plue
September 5, 2012 at 12:30 pm

yup i do! taking multivites or b-complex, and it does make a difference to energy levels. i take it first thing in the morning, with my glass of water then off i go do other stuff.

and yes i sometimes do forget to eat them! especially during weekends and when i go travel.

September 6, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Yeah I’m the same. So I try to stick to my routine on weekends as well now which means oats on weekends too! Lol!

Callie September 5, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Paris-oh-Paris! Take alkaline water. It work wonders for me. I’ve experienced constipation for most part of my life. I start to take alkaline water and I start to be able to poo! Pardon my language here. I went to my dentist recently and he took a litmus paper and put it on my saliva. It’s alkaline! I tell you… to stay healthy, take fruits every meal, have lots of fibre and alkaline water’s the way to go. Supplements? I’m not sure if they work though I’ve been taking them for weeks and stopped and take them again. You see, I don’t have much discipline when it comes to supplements. I’ve tried this product which works! Have you heard of Unicity? I got this Nature’s Tea and Paraway Plus from Unicity and it really works! It cleanses some part of your organ, which one I forgot. Do check it out Paris!

For supplements, I usually get them from GNC. I’m on multi-vit, vit C, fish oil, Folic Acid, Iron, Zinc, Vit D etc in the past. I figured that’s too much and now, I only take Folic Acid and some product for my hair.

Why don’t you take supplements for 6 months then go do a body check up? My cousin says supplements work for her. I guess this sort of thing, you gotta do a body check up b4 you know. I don’t think one can ‘feel’ the result. Too long winded now… I do hope you don’t mind. Always a pleasure talking to you. See ya!
Callie recently blogged…Muddle HeadedMy Profile

September 6, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Hi Callie, incidentally, I saw a machine filter for alkaline water just recently! I was told about it too but the filters are pricey. I haven’t heard of Unicity but will keep an eye out for them. I’m about due for a check up soon so will see how the tests go 😉

C September 6, 2012 at 3:30 am

I have skin problems (eczema) and I find that vitamins don’t help- but I still like to take them in the hope that in the long term they will (or the placebo effect will kick in! :P). I take a multivitamin with evening primrose oil in it, and vitamin d (I currently don’t get enough sunshine so I like to take this) and a mix of fish oil+calcium. I’ve stopped taking them for a while though- it is way too easy to forget to take them!

September 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Aww it must be tough living with eczema :( I always go through periods when I forget to take them or forget to replenish when they are finished, and then its off the bandwagon again! I’m trying to be good this time though. Let’s see how long I last 😉

Bugs September 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Anyone know where I can find etsu collagen supplements ? I was taking it but then something interupted my routine and it took me so long to get back on the routine ( as always ). But now I can find it anywhere. Maybe they withdraw from M’sia or…

Paris ( or anyone ), do u have any collagen supplements to recommend ? Preferably capsule type as it’s easier to swallow. Thanks!

September 6, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Oh I remember seeing the Etsu ones but I’d never tried them. I’m not sure. It if I see it again, I’ll be sure to update. I’m not familiar with collagen supplements myself. The only ones I know are the collagen drinks. I’m trying one for the heck of it but I don’t know if or how it works 😛

Bugs September 7, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I stop taking etsu for the collagen drinks. Tried Kinohimitsu and Colla Plus, had BIG heaps of glass bottles waiting to recycle until Mr Hubby couldn’t stand it anymore, gave me a sour face and sent them all to the bin. I stop the drinks becoz they are quite sweet, plus I don’t want Mr Hubby to give me sour face again. 😀

Effect wise I didn’t see or feel any difference. But when I was taking etsu, my facial therapist commented that my skin is firmer compared to others in my age group la.

September 8, 2012 at 11:47 am

LOL at the glass bottles. I have a box of them now haha… It is quite sweet though. I’m sort of curious about the collagen powder drinks I see around. Maybe I’ll try those next 😛

Bugs September 8, 2012 at 3:55 pm