G’day Mate! Jurlique Balancing Foaming Cleanser refreshes and cleans away impurities of the day

in Cleanser,Natural,Product Reviews

I remember Jurlique as the lovely smelling store, in the top floor of a local mall (MidValley Megamall). Whenever I walked past, I’d be sure to pause, take a huge sniff of the lovely smell of essential oils wafting out the front door, and then go on my way feeling that little bit more relaxed. I had a facial there once too. But it was a long time ago.

jurlique cleanser3 Gday Mate! Jurlique Balancing Foaming Cleanser refreshes and cleans away impurities of the day

When I was recently reintroduced to the brand, my first observation was the change in packaging. It used to look a little utilitarian before with a plain white and blue colour scheme, but the new packaging looks much more palatable. The Balancing Foaming Cleanser, for one, sports an opaque pump bottle with a good pump that dispenses just the right amount of gel cleanser each time. You don’t need too much of this one.

Jurlique is an Australian brand that uses primarily botanical ingredients in their products where possible. Their products use extracts of plants and essential oils and here’s the interesting bit. Not everything may smell great. This facial cleanser for example, takes some getting used to.

I don’t mean it smells awful of course. It just does not smell fragranced or floral as what we may have been used to by products from other brands. I will suggest you take a healthy sniff to see if it will suit your nose.

jurlique cleanser Gday Mate! Jurlique Balancing Foaming Cleanser refreshes and cleans away impurities of the day

The product pumps out a yellowish clear gel and you do not need very much because as the product name implies, it foams up quite readily. According to the bottle, the gel has calendula, daisy and peppermint and will leave the skin balanced and hydrated.

I have combination-dry skin and I personally found this one a little bit drying. It doesn’t feel like my skin is all pulled back and taut after using, but I did notice a slight tightening. Once I follow up with my regular moisturizing routine thereafter, it is fine. But I may venture a guess that this one may suit those with combination-oily skin better.

As a cleanser, it does its job well enough, and I don’t have much to complain in that regard. The pump is sturdy and dispenses just the right amout each time, and it is very easy to control. One handy thing to note is that the pump can be twisted shut which is helpful if you plan to take this travelling with you. Once twisted shut, the pump cannot be depressed.

In a nutshell

The Jurlique Balancing Foaming Cleanser is a gel cleanser that foams up when lathered to cleanse skin in the morning and evening. I find that the scent takes some getting used to. I also found that for my skintype (combination-dry) it felt a little bit drying after use. I could not use it daily and even if I did it was only in the evening as part of my double cleansing routine. I think it does a fair job as a cleanser but it might suit someone with combination-oily skin better.

Pros: Pump locks shut when not in use, Cleans skin

Cons: Pricey, A bit drying if you have dry skin, Scent takes some getting used to

Who will like this: Someone with combination-oily skin

jurlique cleanser2 Gday Mate! Jurlique Balancing Foaming Cleanser refreshes and cleans away impurities of the day

Here is the ingredient list (darned the curved bottle that made it impossible to photograph!)

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Decyl Polyglucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Glycerin, Chamomilla recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Calendula officinalis Flower Extract, Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape Seed) Seed Extract, Camelia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Hamamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Rosa Fallica Flower Extract, Bellis perennis (Daisy) Flower Etract, PRunella vulgaris (Self Heal) Flower Extract, Viola odorata (Violet) Extract, Curcuma longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Spilanthe acmella Flower Extract, Honey, Lactic Acid, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum)*, Aloe barbadensis Leaf Extract, Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Totarol, Citral*, Limonene*

* From natural essential oil (Grapefruit – Citrus grandis, Lemon – Citrus medica limonum, Lemon Myrtle-Backhousia citriodora, Peppermint – mentha piperita)

Have you tried anything from Jurlique recently or before this? Was it a brand you had noticed before?

I had a facial, as I said once which I liked (except the hard sell that came after) and I tried their Calendula cream once which I thought was quite nice but I did not repurchase. Might have been the price tag icon razz Gday Mate! Jurlique Balancing Foaming Cleanser refreshes and cleans away impurities of the day

Jurlique Balancing Foaming Cleanser Price: RM134/200ml Availability: Jurlique stores

Disclosure: Featured product was provided for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

sesame September 13, 2012 at 9:06 am

I don’t seem to be able to finish this one. Still have a wee bit left. You’re right that it’s a tad drying…works ok for my combination skin but I wouldn’t repurchase it though. I use it to wash my ears now. Haha…

September 16, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Actually, come to think of it, I don’t think I could finish this either :P washing your ears sounds terribly intriguing though!

Shay September 16, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I have not tried this one. But I do have a foaming facial wash which is quite drying, feels stripping to my face and unpleasant to use. I don’t know what to do with it. Besides washing ears, any other suggestions?

September 16, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Erm… Washing feet? :P beats me, to be honest lol!

Sunny
September 13, 2012 at 9:15 am

I really like Jurlique! It’s a brand I’ve purchased some products from over the last couple of years. I haven’t encountered one thing from them that I dislike! I’ve tried their rose hand cream, herbal recovery gel, rosewater mist, and some other stuff that I can’t remember right now :)
Sunny recently blogged…Bobbi Brown Secret to Perfect Skin Workshop & 2012 Holiday Collection PreviewMy Profile

September 16, 2012 at 10:22 pm

*preps list* lol thanks for the suggestions, Sunny. Its good to know they have other good stuff :)

xin
September 13, 2012 at 9:36 am

sounds like it won’t be something for my dry skin. i haven’t really tried any jurlique stuff nor their facial, but i like decleor (mostly due to the pleasing aroma) :D
xin recently blogged…Be Waterful with Laneige Water Bank Essence & Mineral Skin MistMy Profile

September 16, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Nope, this is certainly not for anyone with dry skin. I haven’t tried anything from decleor or their facial yet. Must look for a deal :P

Joy Chong
September 13, 2012 at 9:42 am

Interesting. It is very drying because of all the essential oil’s it carries as a strong amount of citrus based ingredients along with peppermint also irritate the skin.

September 16, 2012 at 10:24 pm

That might be it, Joy. Am I glad I took the trouble to list the ingredients!

cat
September 13, 2012 at 9:43 am

Does it clean makeup off?

September 16, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I wouldn’t say so. You’d still need a makeup remover.

kuri
September 13, 2012 at 10:03 am

I like the scent of Jurlique products, but the price is too high for me to try out. As it’s a bit drying, I’ll probably avoid this cleanser; thanks for the review!

September 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Yep this isn’t one for anyone with dry skin. They are quite pricey too, I didn’t realize that till I saw the products.

Kris Ong
September 13, 2012 at 10:30 am

I’ve tried a few of their products when I was in Aussie. Didn’t work out as much as I like it to be (paid good money!) Tried the foaming cleanser, balancing day cream, rose mist, calendular cream and herbal recovery gel. My favorite is the Calendular, manage to clam my skin down and repair the peeling, soothes the irritated pimples prone area. However, only use it sparingly and not more than 3 times a week else it gets too oily and causes clogged pores for me. The rest of the products didn’t do much and the day cream even broke me out.

September 16, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Thanks for the info, Kris. As you’ve noted, it’s quite pricey and when it doesn’t work, it really sucks!

Tracy September 13, 2012 at 11:36 am

I’ve never tried Jurlique but I want to! Their products sound really nice! This one would be too drying for me though, but I;m sure they have something for drier skin!

September 16, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I’m sure they have something for dry skin, Tracy. I wasn’t expecting it to be this drying though.

Makeup Morsels September 13, 2012 at 1:05 pm

hmmm so what exactly does it smell like? Now I’m curious LOL. I’ve been wanting to try their hand creams for the longest time, they’re just so pretty :) I think this would be too drying for me as well, but like Trakee I will search for something better for my skintype. That is, when I run out of cleanser in five years…
Makeup Morsels recently blogged…Hello, My Pretties! | A Preview of Illamasqua Generation QMy Profile

September 16, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Hmm it smells weird and not entirely pleasant lol but do take a sniff anyway because I recently was told that some serum would stink but I found it wasn’t too bad :)

Sze Ling September 13, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Hah! I thought I’m the only one who likes the smell of their shops. :P

Had a facial done there once, many years ago, and didn’t like it cause of the super hard selling at the end of the facial. Totally killed the whole experience. :(
Sze Ling recently blogged…Coconut Custard PuffMy Profile

September 16, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Ahhh did we go to the same store? :P the facial was great but the hard sell was terrible. I had a bit of bias thanks to that terrible experience. Oh and looks like I’m not the only one who likes the smell of their stores ;)

September 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Still haven’t tried any of Jurlique products before but I’ve read quite a few raves. Someone asked me about Aesop and Perricone MD too, and while I’ve heard of all these brands, I haven’t tested them myself before. Sometimes I wonder how my skin can keep up ;-)
Lily recently blogged…From Demure to Spunky: Estee Lauder 5 Colour Eyeshadow Palette in Violet UndergroundMy Profile

September 16, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Haha we never can keep up :P I haven’t tried Perricone MD either. The only one I did was the No Foundation Foundation that turned me orange LOL! :P

Callie September 13, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Jurlique. Hmmm… How pricy is it may I ask? I’m currently on a cleanser by Clarins. Cost around 40 odd dollars in SGD. If Jurlique is cheaper, I don’t mind checking them out. I guess it’s only during rare instances such as this that I’m happy I’ve oily/combination skin provided it’s cheaper! ^^

September 16, 2012 at 11:13 pm

This was RM134 which is about S$60 or thereabouts I think. The prices are at the end of the post to make it easier :) I’m not sure how much it retails for in Singapore though.

Jyoan September 13, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Haven’t tried anything from this brand. Lots of rave about their Rose hand cream. But it’s kind of tempting because this brand has its counter at the most obvious places, like right behind the Tangs cashier at Orchard. I always can’t help taking a peek when I am paying for my other purchases.

September 16, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Haha they most certainly got your attention then! I have heard their hand cream gets a lot of raves too.

Becca
September 14, 2012 at 4:10 am

I really wanted to love Jurlique, but every single product I’ve tried from them is just WAY too perfumed. I mean, it’s ridiculous. And the face mists all contained too much alcohol for my liking :/
Becca recently blogged…Liebster Award!My Profile

September 16, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Oh dear I think I have the face mist too. I didn’t find it too perfumed or maybe not perfumed in an artificial sense but the scents sure are strong.

ysk
September 14, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I’m using their products too right now,for example rose hand cream, daily exfoliating cream,herbal recovery gel…you might wanna try their exfoliating cream,it’s special=)Jurlique has concept stores in kl and penang only and some readers told me that they wanted to try but it’s not available in their place.
ysk recently blogged…Review:Jurlique Herbal Recovery Gel-recover and protect your skin from daily aggressionMy Profile

September 16, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Thanks for the rec. will take a look at the exfoliating cream.

LBear September 16, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Cruelty is ugly and Jurlique test on animals.