in Eyeshadow,FOTD,Lipstick,Makeup,Product Reviews

When I showed you the overview of the Dior Golden Jungle collection for Fall 2012 I told you that my favourite piece of the collection was the Golden Savannah (774) palette. I haven’t changed my mind. It has now slipped comfortably into my eyeshadow palette stash as a keeper. One of the palettes I won’t give up. Its a bit surprising considering that at a first glance, the Golden Savannah palette isn’t very golden nor is it terribly exciting.

dior golden savannah6 The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect)

Golden Savannah palette and Copper Brown Serum Serum de Rouge lipstick

I was in fact prepared to not fall in love with it, because its a palette of browns and bronze shades that really, if truth be told, looks warm and just like any other neutral palette out there. In fact, I will stick my neck out and say that if you already have a ton of neutral colours in your stash, then you don’t need Golden Savannah.

But face it, you want it don’t you? icon wink The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect)

Here are the swatches of the palette as I showed you before this, all swatched just 1 time. Its very pigmented!

dior golden jungle9 The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect)

Swatches L-R: (middle) Sparkly pale gold, (top left) satin tan, (top right) shimmer golden brown, (bottom right) shimmer golden cool toned dark brown, (bottom left) shimmer golden khaki

Barring the sparkly gold colour in the middle of the palette, all colours are shot through with golden shimmer that somehow adds to the lustre of the already strong colours. There is a safe mixture of warm and cool shades which make this one quite friendly to most skin tones. You can easily mix and match the colours depending on your skin tone and that is something that I appreciate, as I can’t wear bronze shades very well.

Barring the middle colour also, all colours are soft to the touch and it is incredibly easy to pick up the colours, whether using fingers or using a brush. A brush will give you better control but if you are in a hurry, it is so easy to just swipe 1 shade all over your lid, draw in liner and call it a day. Each colour can stand alone thanks to the golden shimmer evenly spread throughout the pressed powder and the even colour which makes the colour lively and interesting.

I wore it in a sample eye using quite a few colours.

dior golden savannah The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect)

Uh.. I actually used all the 5 colours in the palette! Dark brown and khaki on the outer lid, bronze on the middle of the lid, tan on the inner part of the lid and the gold blended over to tie the colours together and add some shine.

I loved it! There are many ways to wear this palette and you can glitz it up or tone it down as you wish. I think its one of Dior’s best offerings to date. Quality wise, I found the colours very long lasting which reminded me of the Aurora palette. By the end of the day, the colours had barely faded and looked just as intense as before. Do note that I do not use a lid primer as I’m lucky to not have oily lids and few colours fade on me icon smile The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect) If you use a lid primer I can imagine the colour may be even more intense!

Here’s how the overall look was.

dior golden savannah2 The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect)

I wore Golden Savannah on eyes with Copper Brown Serum Serum de Rouge lipstick from the same Golden Jungle collection, on lips. The colours go beautifully together, being at once sultry and warm yet mind bogglingly simple. Animal print scarf is optional icon wink The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect)

In a nutshell

Golden Savannah is a limited edition eyeshadow palette from Dior from their Golden Jungle collection for Fall 2012. The colours are safe and neutral looking browns, khakis and bronzes but the texture is very impressive. Each colour is smooth and fine milled and evenly infused with golden shimmer. Each colour can be worn alone with a nice eyeliner or blended together for some serious smokey eye action. Staying power is very impressive for me, staying on from morning till night with hardly any wear or fading. From the Dior palettes I have, I can safely say that this is one of the best in terms of texture and overall quality.

Pros: Longwearing colours, Pigmented colours, Each colour can be worn alone or blended together, Can be dressed up or down, Can be worn by those with warm or cool tones

Cons: Limited Edition, Pricey

Who will like this: Anyone who wants or likes a neutral flexible eyeshadow palette

Before I do a quick eyeshadow palette comparison, here’s some close ups of the Copper Brown Serum (610) Serum de Rouge lipstick. Serum de Rouge is one of my favourite lipsticks from Dior. The lipsticks are highly moisturizing and come in lovely but safe colours. Whenever I have flaky or dry lips, I always reach for the SdR and after a little while, my lips feel moist and lovely and plump again. My mom has nicked 2 of mine so far! Yes she’s a huge huge fan too icon biggrin The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect)

dior golden savannah5 The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect)

Copper Serum looks terribly brown in the tube. In fact I was worried stiff that it’d look weird on me. I don’t wear brown lipsticks well. However, I clearly needn’t have worried because it is a very lovely neutral-red coloured lipstick on my lips! The lipstick has a bit of golden shine but it isn’t chunky or glittery and just barely noticeable. The colour is a browned rose that worn on my pigmented lips, takes on a redder hue. I love this one simply because it was so unexpected icon smile The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect)

Golden Savannah dupes?

A reader LSY asked in the overview post if Golden Savannah was anything like the Couture Golds palette. So I rooted around and picked out 2 other Dior palettes that appeared similar but not quite.

dior golden savannah7 The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect)

Left-Right: Couture Golds, Golden Savannah, Royal Kaki

Like LSY I too thought off hand that they would be similar. However as you can see, the shades are all rather different. I too thought Royal Kaki might bear a little similarity but it wasn’t. Not quite anyway.

However, there are some shades in each palette that are very close to each other as seen below.

dior golden savannah8 The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect)

From left to right

• Middle shade in Couture Golds vs Middle shade in Golden Savannah – Couture Golds is a little more bling but otherwise the two shades are very close in colour and tone
  • Top Right shade in Couture Golds vs Top Right shade in Golden Savannah – On sight, these 2 colours appear close in shade but when swatched you can see that the one from Couture Golds is a paler gold while te one from Golden Savannah is a slightly warmer bronze
  • Bottom Left shade in Golden Savannah vs Top Left shade in Royal Kaki – The shade in Golden Savannah is a deep khaki while in Royal Kaki the shade is a lighter golden khaki

I reckon if you were to compare the colours to the infamous Urban Decay Naked or Naked 2 palettes you will also find possible dupes in the shades available. As with a host of other neutral palettes out there. This palette is a neutral palette, make no mistake and you probably don’t need it if you already have a host of other neutral palettes. The difference of course, will be they aren’t a Dior icon wink The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect)

Does Golden Savannah catch your eye?  Are these colours you will wear?

I just realised that all 3 palettes I showed you above are my favourite Dior 5 Couleur palettes that I use most often. I just realised also that as I get older, I gravitate more and more towards safe colours like these browns, golds and khakis and play less and less with my blues, greens and purples. Oh dear … icon wink The Dior Golden Savannah palette brings out the animal in you! (with Copper Brown Serum for good effect)

Golden Savannah (774) 5 Couleur Eyeshadow Palette Price: RM200 Copper Brown Serum (#610) Serum de Rouge Lipstick Price: RM113 Availability: Dior counters nationwide Limited Edition: Yes, Golden Jungle Fall 2012 collection

Disclosure: Featured product was a press sample for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

Hanny Daforcena
August 15, 2012 at 8:36 am

Pretteh! ^.^

Somehow I discovered that I prefer mattes if I go neutral for the eyes. I have an Inglot 4 pan palette which has rather similar colors – highlight color, brown and gold (My other color is a true silver), so I don’t have to get this weeee~ ^.^

Note to PB: Why la you tempt me so with lippies… WHY?
Hanny Daforcena recently blogged…Back With A FOTD: Something Out Of This World ( AKA Precious Goth)!My Profile

August 20, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Heh… if I can’t get you with the eyeshadow, the lipstick is the next best bet yes? ;)

cat
August 15, 2012 at 8:46 am

Very nice! I am not very adventurious with colors and i think this will work for me. But the lipstick is a bit pricy.

August 20, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Thanks Cat – the lipstick isn’t for everyone I will agree and those who break it down price/gram will tell you it isn’t worth it. But I do, because the quality is amazing (to me I mean :) ) The eye palette is a good one to wear light or dark or simple or elaborate. Its a good one :D

Catherine August 15, 2012 at 9:00 am

Im hesitating between this or one of these with panther like pattern! I hope you will do review of these too! :)

August 20, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I’ll bring it up as quickly as I can Catherine! (p/s If you ask me to choose, I’d say get Golden Savannah ;) )

Sze Ling August 15, 2012 at 9:12 am

I can’t get enough of neutral eyeshadows. :P Browns, gold, beige, grey and olives, I want them all! LOL.
Already have a slew of neutrals from MAC and the UD Naked, just can’t justify another palette. Just can’t get myself to plop another RM200 for a palette that I probably already have dupes for. But, like you say, they are not a Dior. :(
Sze Ling recently blogged…Corn MuffinsMy Profile

August 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm

That’s the conundrum isn’t it? On the flip side, if you do decide to get this one, you will know you will get tons of use out of it ;)

germs August 15, 2012 at 9:14 am

ohh you look so pretty with the scarf!! i thought the golden savannah palette would be too warm, but this looks just nice :) and copper brown serum looks like a perfect work shade, heading out later to try this at the counters :p

August 20, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Thanks, Germs :) I thought this palette wouldn’t work either until I actually applied it on my skin and suddenly, whoa it DOES work :P

August 15, 2012 at 9:16 am

I already reserved mine. I’m so gonna get it… Just haven’t had the time to run to the store. These colors look amazing on you! I can’t wait to play with mine :-)
Lily recently blogged…FOTD: Dior Fall 2012 Golden Jungle Eyeshadow and Lipgloss PaletteMy Profile

August 20, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Looking forward to your thoughts on this :)

LeGeeque August 15, 2012 at 9:27 am

Hey, am I cross-eyed to think the colours look a little warm? The darkest brown is lovely but the rest sort of make me back away cautiously. Love the lip colour on you though. I need to figure out which SDR to get next ;) It is my favourite Dior lippie too – more so than the Addict range!

August 20, 2012 at 4:31 pm

The colours have a warm tone but work on cool/neutral toned skin without that dreaded “I look like I didn’t sleep a wink” effect :)

Issa August 15, 2012 at 9:46 am

this is a very pretty palette! i would definitely wear these shades! I also find myself going for neutrals lately … oh dear, are we really getting older? :)

August 20, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Never older, Issa – just wiser to know what colours make us look better ;) hehe I do still go for colours but not the brights that I would have worn a few years ago. On hindsight though, they never quite suited me either LOL!

mrsdjones
August 15, 2012 at 10:06 am

Oh my! I love gold and I NEED this! :p

August 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Did you manage to get your hands on this in the end? :D

sharon August 15, 2012 at 10:15 am

Sounds like Miss PB is in one of her enabling modes ;) BUT I am not enabled this time round lol. Actually the Aurora palette now seems so much pigmented as compared to GS but anyways Aurora is too orangey for my liking..Just wondering, do you have any issues with the serum rouge in terms of twisting the product back into the tube itself? Mine wont go back down once twisted up.. >_<

August 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Not quite enabling, my dear – just gushing a lot LOL! :D I am personally not a fan of the Aurora palette because of the colours in there and I think the fact it was pigmented just made it less easy to wear, but staying power for GS is very good too :) As for the Serum de Rouge, I have always been able to twist mine back down. I know its a common complaint that the lipstick can’t be twisted back, but I have always managed to. That said, I don’t twist it very far up – just far enough to apply.

Monstro August 15, 2012 at 10:38 am

This is SO nice! You look amazingly stylish in the whole ensemble! LOVEEEEE!

August 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Eeks! Thanks m’dear :D

Applegal August 15, 2012 at 10:55 am

Very very pretty. Really love the eye and the LIP! When I first saw the lipstick I went merrrhhh?? because I’m a red or pink fan, but this browned rose looks SO GORGEOUS on your lips!

August 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I was surprised myself because I was prepared NOT to like it – teaches us we should never judge a lipstick by how it looks in the tube ;)

Jan S August 15, 2012 at 10:58 am

Love the review and look :) the animal print scarf is so cute! Those 3 palettes…gorgeous…

August 20, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Nikki August 15, 2012 at 11:05 am

PB! totally not related to the palette but boy do you look cute with a head band!!!!

Now back to the topic, these are the shades that I wear on a daily basis, boring to others but I don’t care! It fits my “age range” :))

August 20, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Thanks Nikki! Its great for taking care of hair that isn’t behaving itself ;)

Stacey
August 15, 2012 at 11:17 am

Gorgeous palette and I have been surprised by a brown red lipstick from Elizabeth Arden lately as well! It looked so…brown and dark in the tube but it looks so pretty and turns into a beauty warm red that is so wearable.

August 20, 2012 at 4:40 pm

That sounds like a lovely colour! Its so surprising how a dull looking brown can look so lovely on lips :)

jk August 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm

For years I have religiously stuck to browns, neutrals and greys from Bobbi Brown and EL – having strayed only once or twice to blue – (also B/Brown) until recently a review by someone with the initials PB enticed me to stray further to try purple and Inglot’s olive-brown Green. *Did that in 1 Freedom Palatte :-)*
Dior’s GC is taking me back to my color basics. The colors/shades are really gorgeous. I want! I want! But @ RM200/- woah.. slow down.. think.. think.. Do I need it? No but I want. :-O Decisions decisions..
As at time of this post, still thinking..

August 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Eeps! PB? I wonder who that is… *twiddles thumbs* ;) Inglot was a great place to start looking for colour – its not too pricey and the quality is pretty good! Gotta admit this palette is rather pricey so you must really know you will get a lot of wear out of it to justify it. To be honest, if you already have lots of similar colours then perhaps there’s no real need to pick it up. You may be able to find similar shades in Inglot too ;) I haven’t gone to look myself, but one never knows…

beetrice
August 15, 2012 at 1:41 pm

*chants to self* I. don’t. need. the. palette. I. only. want. that. SdR… :D Got way too many browns and neutral shades in my stash as it is!
beetrice recently blogged…Bored? Not in Cameron Highlands…My Profile

August 20, 2012 at 4:44 pm

LOL the SdR is a nice one… maybe duty free? Ahem :P

Makeup Morsels August 15, 2012 at 2:05 pm

LOL yes of course I want it! What a ridiculous question :P The lipstick is really lovely as well (and I’ve heard such great things about that formula), but I have too many shades like it in my stash. And now I’m going to take a deep breath and say OHMYGODILOVEYOUREYEMAKEUP. It’s gorgeous. The blending is perfect.
Makeup Morsels recently blogged…The Unhealthy Obsession Continues | 6 of My Favorite RedsMy Profile

August 20, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Thank you so much MM! :D Did you end up getting the Golden Savannah palette and will I be seeing it on your blog soon? :D

Makeup Morsels August 21, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I was so tempted to add this to my collection! But my Dior palette count is still at 2, and will probably stay that way for awhile. Trying to be good *shifty eyes*
Makeup Morsels recently blogged…Does This Eyeshadow Make Me Look Smart? & Other Musings on Ellis FaasMy Profile

Jyoan August 15, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Unfortunately, while I think it is very nice on palette, I just can’t seem to work the browns right on my eyes. T_T Always looks like panda eyes when I use it.

Maybe I use a little too much.

August 20, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Browns are always very tricky for the eyes. I always (almost without fail) look like a panda too! So I’ve learnt that for me, I need a sheerer texture, with shimmer (shimmer makes it more forgiveable) and a pale gold helps to tone down the brown. Oh and I always stay away from red based browns which are more prevalent than we think ;)

Becca
August 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Heck yeah I have a lot of neutral shadows in my stash! And heck yeah I still want Golden Savannah…bad!!! :D
Becca recently blogged…The Sample: NEW L’Oréal Colour Riche Colour Caresse Lipsticks Review & SwatchesMy Profile

August 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm

LOL! I look forward to your swatches and review! ;)

Sunny
August 15, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I am so totally grabbing this when it comes out here! I was happy to find out the quality of this quint is top-notch, and it’ll be fabulous for simple smokey eyes! Love what you did with it Paris :)
Sunny recently blogged…I Don’t Like Crackle or Crocodiles, but I Love Dior Golden Jungle Crocodile Leather Effect Nails!My Profile

August 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Thank you Sunny! Looking forward to your review on this too :D

Jacqueline August 15, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Pais, I was very prepared to close my eyes and skip this collection, alas I saw your beautiful swatches. I will now have to go to a counter and swatch this for myself and see whether I should get it. I love your eye look lots. I don’t do brown shades either I’m more of a red / coral/ pink gal.

August 20, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Hi Jacqueline! Did you check the palette out in the end? I was quite surprised at how well it turned out for me but it might turn out differently on different skin tones :)

Jacqueline August 20, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Paris, I did and proud to say I walked away. I bought the Guerlain eye shadow quad Les Fauves instead which has a pretty coral shade. You have to check it out, the pigmentation and quality is on par with Dior.

August 20, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Ahh Guerlain is my other weakness :D I love their quads – amazing quality. I may pass on Les Fauves though – its a bit warm and I can’t wear corals on my eyes without looking like I’ve just finished a bout of weeping LOL I bet it looks amazing on you – looking forward to your review!

Jennifer August 15, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Eye do Eye do :) I want a Golden Savannah – walked past the promo counter at KLCC and was tempted to stop by! Love the way you used the 5 colours, such gorgeous eye make up! The Couture Golds palette looks eye catching too. A little pricey, but it’s a Dior :)

August 20, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Thanks Jennifer! I do think this is a lovely and versatile palette for beginners too (because its so easy to just slick 1 color on and go!) :D Its pricey I will admit and potentially easy to find a dupe ;)

LSY August 15, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Nice! Especially the animal print scarf touch and thanks for the comparison. I have so many browns, I can open a shop selling brown eye shadows haha but this one looks lovely.

August 20, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Haha let me guess – you wear a lot of neutral colours ;)

gio August 16, 2012 at 2:09 am

I’m not usually drawn to these kind of shades but wow, these look gorgeous and so pigmented. And I really love the look you did with it. I definitely need to check it out soon!
gio recently blogged…Product Review: Bath & Body Works Wild Berry Tulips Body LotionMy Profile

August 20, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Thank you Gio :) These colours are surprisingly easy to use but the potential to go wrong is quite high too!