Ladies! I’m just back from a relaxing holiday by the beach and am only just starting to get back into the swing of things. You know, holidays are both a bane and a boon. I’m thankful for them for recharging and yet, you know that post-holiday slump we all fall into? Yeah I’m in that slump now. I hope you’ve had lots to read here on MWS to keep you occupied over the past few days while I get back on the bandwagon and on track
So since I had nothing planned for today’s post, here, have a peek at what I took with my on my short holiday by the sea where I pretty much did nothing but sit on the beach, soak up some sun, stuff my face silly with food and just generally relax
Let’s start with the skincare I took with me. I usually take only sample sizes or travel sized skincare with me, but as weight and bulk wasn’t an issue this time around, I went with the full sizes of some skincare I’d been using for a while and which I generally really liked, so I didn’t want to switch and kill my skin. Please let me know the ones you want a more comprehensive review on. Products I’ve already reviewed are linked
- Shiseido Perfect UV Protector SPF50+ – I love how this one is not sticky so I didn’t end up having bits of sand stuck to me. I used this on my face and on my body as well which is very decadent because I’ve almost finished up my bottle now! I reapplied it every couple of hours and the best part is that I didn’t turn red, I didn’t burn despite falling asleep on the beach, It was waterproof enough through countless dips in the pool, and I didn’t turn very much darker. I love this one, pricey as it is!
- Lucas Papaw Ointment – I used this to keep chapped and dry lips at bay. Sea air, invigorating as it is, can be very drying on the skin and nowhere dries out more quickly than your lips. This ointment kept my lips soft and supple, and when I got bitten by some insects, helped with the itch too.
- Hei Poa Huile de Monoi Tahiti – I have no idea why I bought this when I did. I thought it was a regular body oil, but its a little different from what I’m used to. Still, I figured it’d help my skin from drying out and it did.
- Laneige Water Bank Essence* – I’d been using this Laneige set of moisture products before I left so I took this along. I figured, it’d keep my skin moisturized since I’d be out in the sun (drying!) and by the sea (drying!) and in and out of the pool (even more drying!) and yes, it does a great job! I have surprised myself by liking this Laneige range of products.
- Laneige Moisture Balancing Emulsion – This is the complementing moisturizer for normal-dry skin and I’ve been quite taken by it. I got this in Korea a while ago and am only getting really stuck into it. I wasn’t too impressed before and after trying it out, left it aside. I came back to it recently and I’m loving it! I don’t know why my skin behaves this way
- Laneige Water Bank Mineral Skin Mist* – I used this face mist in lieu of a toner/lotion and also used it to spritz my skin and keep it moist through the day. It does a fair enough job without leaving a sticky film on my skin and seems to leave my skin moist but am not terribly keen on the floral scent.
- Clarins Hydraquench Cream Mask – At the end of each day I’d slather on a layer of this cream mask and luxuriate while it does its job to quench my skin’s thirst. I also brought a sheet mask to cool down my skin and I credit this intensive use of moisturizing products with the fact that my skin didn’t dry, peel nor break out.
Not pictured is the Eve Lom Cleanser. I liked how it took off my sunscreen at the end of the day, and left my skin feeling soft and looking smooth. Might it have helped with not breaking out? I’m not sure to be honest. But I had access to hot water from the taps and it was a luxurious treat to use this cleanser in the evenings.
If you are planning to head down to the beach or to a hot, drying environment, I would suggest you do the same and bring along with you light moisturizing products you can layer on because it will help keep your skin hydrated and ultimately looking better even after you return
My makeup pouch was a small one that I filled to the brim. But ended up not using much of it (as usual!) Lucky for me, it was a small pouch so it didn’t take up too much space
- Diorskin Nude Tan Aurora bronzer – For a touch of colour in the evenings when I headed for dinner. In the day, I had nothing on my skin at all
- RMK Pressed Powder N – I took this along because it came with a brush so I didn’t have to fiddle around with more brushes. It was nice to just dust on a layer just to keep things looking less shiny.
- Diorshow New Look mascara – I took this along just in case, but since dinner wasn’t a formal affair, I ended up not using it. Still, I chose it for its non dramatic, waterproof formula.
- Dior Addict Lipgloss Orange Pareo – I picked this one up a couple of months ago as my summer lipstick. I’ve never owned an orange lipstick before! It was great for the evening for just a slick of sparkly shine and went well with the bronzer.
- RMK 15th Anniversary Eye palette Gray* – I took this because it had the brush included. Its surprisingly very very sheer. I’m not quite sure what to make of it. Its nice for a lazy sort of eye look but I’m not too sure about using it daily for work or otherwise.
- Garnier BB Cream – I wore this in the day one day and it was nice. Evens out skin colour somewhat and looks very natural.
- Dior Eye Gloss in Tan – This one is perfect when headed to the beach, trust me. If you are the sort to doll up anyway. Its not very obvious on, but it adds a bit of colour, is waterproof somewhat so you can take a dip in the pool without worrying about your eye makeup being mussed up. I actually saw some people dolled up by the pool! They didn’t wear sunscreen though so I wasn’t sure what the point was
- RMK 15th Anniversary Lip Palette* – The colours in this lip palette are sheer and shiny and very beach/holiday appropriate. Those who dislike sheer colours will wrinkle their noses at this. I am not usually a fan of lip palettes, but because this one comes with a serviceable brush and isn’t mixed with powder products, I’ll give this a nod of approval. But only if you like sheer colours.
- Shu Uemura lash curler – Don’t ask me why and how this found its way into my pouch. I never once used it
- ZA Perfection Concealer – I bought this on a whim a week or two back. Its a pretty decent liquid concealer all things considered! I’m even wondering if it might be a more affordable substitute to the Diorskin Nude Concealer (Ans: No, but its not bad)
So, that’s that! I took way more makeup than was necessary or that I ended up using. I am always doing silly things like this. All I ever did use was a touch of powder, bronzer and lipgloss in the evenings for dinner. Next time, that’s all I’m taking!
As for skincare, I’m very happy with the products I took along this time. I usually break out from too much sun exposure and drying sea winds, but this time, I came back with (I’m surprised!) clearer skin than before I went. It might have been the relaxing atmosphere or the bracing sea air or just that my skincare was doing something right
I’ll share some pictures later, after I’ve had time to take a breather, plunge back into the maelstrom of work and hopefully emerge unscathed
I’m missing the idyllic days I had down by the beach already! I don’t know when I turned into a beach bum (never liked it before) but its lovely!
Is there a product you want a more detailed review of? I have a couple lined up already, but it never hurts to ask