No really, is the Eve Lom Cleanser “The best cleanser in the world” as Vogue claims?

in Cleanser,Makeup Remover,Product Reviews,Toner/Lotion

A while ago, at the recommendation of a friend, I picked up a travel set of Eve Lom skincare. It was the first time I’d ever heard of the brand, and it was pricey. A little travel pack of trial sizes cost me a little over RM200 and it came from London, where the brand originates. Coincidentally, not long after, another friend gifted me with an Eve Lom Starter Kit. I never really thought to blog about them because they weren’t available locally here in Malaysia.

Ah, so why are you seeing me blog about it, you may wonder? Its because Eve Lom is appearing on our shores starting in August 2012 icon biggrin No really, is the Eve Lom Cleanser The best cleanser in the world as Vogue claims? I thought it would be a good time for me to talk a little about the products I’ve tried and to give you an overview of the products that I’ve tried, as I see it.

eve lom cleanser No really, is the Eve Lom Cleanser The best cleanser in the world as Vogue claims?

The bestselling item and the award winner in the Eve Lom skincare range is the Cleanser. In fact, Vogue once described it as “The best cleanser in the world” Lofty claims yes? We have here a multi-tasking cleanser that purports to remove makeup, cleanse, tone and exfoliate. It comes with a muslin cloth which is really the key to using this product.

I’ve actually been quite lucky in that both the Travel Kit and Starter Kit both contained generous samples of the cleanser so I’ve had ample opportunities to try this one. I will say however, that if you are the lazy wash-and-go sort, you won’t like this one at all. I like it but with a bit of a caveat.

What this Eve Lom iconic cleanser is, is essentially a cleansing balm type thing that comes in a jar. Ding! Ding! I can almost see everyone making a face at this point. Yeah, I feel the same way. Jar packaging for a cleanser isn’t the most hygienic way to go about it. Also, there’s no spatula included, which I personally feel should be. I would be less iffy about it, if a spatula was included instead of me having to dip my fingers into it. I use my own spatula though.

eve lom cleanser4 No really, is the Eve Lom Cleanser The best cleanser in the world as Vogue claims?

The balm itself is a smooth oil based balm but our weather gives it a slightly grainy texture. Once it touches your skin and is warmed up, it turns into almost an oil with a little bit of beads with a nice slip to allow you to massage on your skin. It pretty much acts as an all-in-one product so you use it on dry hands and face and massage it all over, and it helps melt your makeup pretty much as a cleansing oil will.

This next step is what differentiates this Eve Lom cleanser from a cleansing oil. You must use the muslin cloth included. You MUST. There are no two ways about it. I’ve tried with and without and trust me, you’ll HATE this if you don’t use the muslin cloth. I originally hated it so I speak from experience icon razz No really, is the Eve Lom Cleanser The best cleanser in the world as Vogue claims?

Wet the muslin cloth with warm water and then press it on your face. Do this 2-3 times before you use the cloth to wipe away the product. The warmth will melt the cleanser and allow you to easily remove your makeup and dirt while cleansing your skin. Then, rinse your face and as a final step, apply the muslin cloth, this time with cool/cold water on your face. They say its to open and close the pores but I don’t believe in that because pores aren’t doors. So, for me, this final step is mostly to freshen up your skin.

The result is clean, smooth and I almost feel, softer skin. I like the effect very much and it seems to work very well for me icon smile No really, is the Eve Lom Cleanser The best cleanser in the world as Vogue claims? The cloth doesn’t get very dirty if you’re wondering. The laying of the warm cloth helps melt away the product so after about 3 times you do feel that your skin is quite clean, and then you just wipe off. I rinse the cloth out after every use and machine wash it once a week.

Can you clean it off without using the muslin cloth? Yes you can. But why would you want to when the cloth comes packaged? I originally was too lazy to follow instructions so I’d clean it off by just rinsing. But it takes far too long and it never feels very clean. If you use the muslin cloth, you will find that it leaves your skin much cleaner and smoother, plus the cloth acts as an exfoliator too. It is surprisingly comfortable when I use the muslin cloth as opposed to without.

So how does the Eve Lom cleanser perform then?

• As a makeup remover : For face makeup I think it does a fair job removing things like powder, foundation etc. For the eye, it’ll remove eyeshadow, but not waterproof mascara. It takes too much work so I prefer to just remove it separately.
  • As a cleanser : It keeps my skin clean and isn’t drying. In fact, my skin feels almost hydrated after washing which might be attributable to all the oils in it. Its comfortable.
  • As a toner : I’m never sure what a toner does so I have no thoughts on this.
  • As an exfoliator: There are little beads in this that do help with exfoliation. The use of the muslin cloth to wipe away the product too acts as an exfoliator. So, my skin does immediately feel smoother after use.

eve lom cleanser3 No really, is the Eve Lom Cleanser The best cleanser in the world as Vogue claims?

The full size large tub comes in the box packaged with the muslin cloth. The other 2 smaller tubs came from the starter kits

Oh I must mention one thing – the smell. There is a very strong spicy medicinal smell of cloves and spices. Personally, I like the smell. But then, I like herbal medicinal scents in general. However, if you dislike that sort of herbaceous medicinal scent, you will not like this one.

I will admit that due to the rather lengthy cleansing process, I don’t use this cleanser as often as I do my cleansing oils. It just takes too much time and is too much hassle to use daily. Sometimes, when I get back from work, all I want to do is remove my makeup, have my shower and fall into bed. I don’t have the time nor luxury to spend 10 minutes just cleansing my face with hot and cold water and then having to wash out the muslin cloth etc.

What I sometimes do is apply this on before my shower, massage it into my skin then step into my shower and finish off the routine. This way, its almost as if I’m using cleansing oils plus my shower is the only way I can get warm or hot water. My taps only give me cool water (which is the other reason I get tardy using this). When I have the time and do it this way, it feels like such a treat and my skin loves it!

However, I will admit that this makes a perfect travel partner, because you don’t have to carry a whole bunch of products, just one tub to take care of your cleansing needs. Hence my earlier statement that I do like this cleanser for what it is, but with a caveat, and that is it just takes too long. Eve Lom says they bring the spa into your home. Indeed! The only difference is that at a spa or facial, someone else is doing all the cleansing while I snooze icon razz No really, is the Eve Lom Cleanser The best cleanser in the world as Vogue claims?

In a nutshell

The iconic Eve Lom cleanser is a cleansing balm that turns to an oil texture on contact with skin. It performs a multi-tasking function of removing makeup, cleanses, tones and exfoliates skin. I find that it removes most makeup quite well, except for waterproof eyeliner and mascara. You still need a separate remover for that. You also do not need to double cleanse as your face is pretty clean once you clean off the product, and it isn’t drying at all. There is a strong herbal and medicinal smell that not everyone will like. I experience no breakouts and although I do like it as a multi-purpose cleaner (and I do take it with me when I travel) I don’t use it very often as it takes far too long. But if you don’t mind the time taken, its a fairly decent product.

Pros: Multipurpose product, Useful when travelling, Not drying, Removes most makeup easily

Cons: Smell may not appeal to everyone, Ingredients may not appeal to everyone, It takes a while to complete the cleansing process, You must use the muslin cloth provided (or any cloth towel etc)

Who will like this: Anyone who wants a multipurpose cleansing product, Anyone who doesn’t mind the time taken to properly use this product

Here is the ingredient list (and I can already see some people making a face again). I’m not fussed about the ingredients since I don’t break out from them and it does work well to help my skin stay balanced, clean and soft. But if you have skin that is allergic to anything, then its of course, not a good idea to try it.

eve lom cleanser2 No really, is the Eve Lom Cleanser The best cleanser in the world as Vogue claims?

You don’t need very much each time so it can last a while. However, I do notice that the scent changes after a while. I’ve had my small sized pots for a while so I do notice the difference. It doesn’t smell bad, but it does smell different – a little more antiseptic and sharper. It feels the same going on my skin though, and my skin feels super clean and soft, so there’s that.

Is it the world’s best cleanser as Vogue claims? To me, not by a long shot but it is pretty good for what it does and claims to do.

Have you tried the Eve Lom cleanser before? Or have you tried anything else in the Eve Lom range of products? If anyone’s interested, I’ll tell you about some of the other products I’ve tried that came in the kits I have, just to give you an idea of what its like icon smile No really, is the Eve Lom Cleanser The best cleanser in the world as Vogue claims?

Eve Lom Cleanser Price: RM295/100ml Availability: From August 2012 at Parkson Pavilion, KLCC and 1 Utama

dom
July 12, 2012 at 8:49 am

Ruhroh! Mineral oil is the first thing there! Looks like I’ll be staying FAR AWAY :(
dom recently blogged…The Launch of Fabulous Finds, Malaysia’s First Beauty Box Subscription ServiceMy Profile

July 12, 2012 at 9:18 am

Yeah that is a huge problem for many people, that I’ve read. It doesn’t bug me cos many cleansing oils have it too but better stay away if it will break you out :)

Patricia July 13, 2012 at 3:42 am

Mineral oil glogs my pores like hell.

LeGeeque July 12, 2012 at 8:55 am

LIke you, I got started on the starter kit. My thoughts and yours are sort of aligned but I’d say this: it’s NOT the best cleanser in the world. NOthing beats my Shu cleansing oil. There, I’ve said it :P I dislike the use of the cloth because it means an extra item to carry when you travel. I love the scent and I love that my skin feels so soft after that but the best in the world? Far from it, darling VOgue. (I remember tweeting: Silly angmohs, best in the world? NO WAY!)

July 12, 2012 at 9:20 am

I’m with you. Its not the vest cleanser by a long shot. Maybe for someone who doesn’t use cleansing oils its revolutionary but not otherwise. I can’t use Shu but I’m with you on the cleansing oils trumping this. I do like the soft feeling I get though and the additional cloth doesn’t bug me so id put it as an alternative not a substitute for oils :)

germs July 12, 2012 at 9:07 am

eh.. this sounds good, but the amount of hassle (muslin cloth, hot water and all) is getting to me. would love to try it because i like herbal scents too, plus i’ll just like to see if it lives up to the hype! and ehh random… but the pic of it in the tub looks like ‘tau suan’ ;)
germs recently blogged…the Illuminati beckons – shu uemura face architect illuminating moisture fluid foundationMy Profile

July 12, 2012 at 9:21 am

Yes it does! It smells medicinal though not sweet Hehe… I think I saw some Singapore Bloggers talk about this brand being available there so you can check it out :) you now have me craving tau suan. Way to go Germs :P

Juan
July 12, 2012 at 9:34 am

It sounds all so interesting until i saw the ingredient. Paraffinum Liquidium is a no-no for me.
Juan recently blogged…Ain’t Panicking With China Glaze’s Neon Purple PanicMy Profile

Stacey
July 12, 2012 at 9:35 am

eeks, i don’t think i will like the scent.. i generally dislike skincare that smells spicy, musky, herbal and medicinal.

if the muslin cloth is used to remove foundation makeup, isn’t it dirty to reuse it?
Stacey recently blogged…Review: Mentholatum Organic Lip BalmMy Profile

July 13, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Yep, the scent is very medicinal. Also, no to my surprise the cloth doesn’t get very dirty so a quick rinse after use is quite sufficient, and then a weekly wash.

July 12, 2012 at 9:37 am

Oh gosh, TOO MUCH HASSLE! This cleanser lost me at muslin cloth and warm water… Sometimes, less is really more -.-”
Lily recently blogged…FOTD: Dramatic Smokey Eyes with Wispy LashesMy Profile

July 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Hahaha yes, I learnt to my detriment that warm or hot water is quite essential. So that is one of the big hassles because most of our taps don’t dispense hot water

trah July 12, 2012 at 9:38 am

Thanks for sharing the good news Paris :) After reading reviews regarding this product last year I really wanted to try this brand. It’s great that Eve Lom finally making its debut here because I’ve been planning another trip to Singapore to pick it up, LOL.

My current cleansing oil also contains mineral oil so I don’t have a problem with this ingredient but the paraben sets off all the red lights in my skincare regime. The only with-paraben product I’m using right now is Hada Labo lotion and I’m using it only on days when my skin needs extra hydration.

Still, I may pick up the starter kit to satisfy my curiosity (I mean, best cleanser in the world? Really?) and use it to pamper myself on weekends as the steps takes a while.

My next wish is to have Bourjois counters in Malaysia soon.

July 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I hope they sell the starter kit here. It really is the best way to get to know the brand and perhaps to find a fave product to purchase a full size of :) I too only learnt recently of its ‘Best Cleanser in the World’ title but maybe the editors of Vogue aren’t familiar with cleansing oils? Lol! ;) I wish we’d have Bourjois too! There are gems in that brand we need to have :)

Tuti July 12, 2012 at 9:43 am

sounds interesting…i would love to hear more bout eve lom products as i like herbs smell…

July 13, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Thanks Tuti, I’ll try to bring another round up review of the products I’ve tried, soon!

ysk
July 12, 2012 at 10:00 am

It is too pricey for a cleanser,even though it’s multi purpose..
ysk recently blogged…Spotted in Sin Chew Daily Newspaper-Some of the mist/toner consist of water only!!My Profile

July 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Yes, the price is a bit off putting but it isn’t cheap even in the UK :)

giddy tigress
July 12, 2012 at 10:20 am

This sounds strangely similar to the excellent deep cleansing routine I am using now via the Oil Cleansing Method, except of course mine doesn’t cost a bomb and I can pronounce all the ingredients in the deep cleansing oil I use! :D
giddy tigress recently blogged…Me-Time Luxuries: The Oil Cleansing MethodMy Profile

July 13, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I think it’s based on the Oil Cleansing Method which breaks me out like crazy! I tried it with olive oil but bleh, never again >.< good to know it works for you though, cos its cheap ;)

giddy tigress
July 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Oh I’m not using Olive Oil, and the main oil is Castor Oil for the one I am using.

Ash July 12, 2012 at 10:42 am

Ive been using this cleanser since it made its debut in Singapore in May. I don’t find it a hassle at all. Its very effective at removing makeup and i love the after feeling. I don’t use it in the morning as I feel that its not necessary to deep clean yr face in the morning. Plus its pricey so got to skimp a little. I wonder if the morning cleanser is of the same quality.

July 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm

For face makeup I think it does an excellent job. Do you have trouble with waterproof eye makeup though? I don’t use it in the morning either. One exfoliation a day is more than sufficient for me ;)

Ash July 14, 2012 at 12:21 am

Oh yeah .. i tried it on my waterproof eyeliner and mascara as well. it does a great job as well

Emy Shin July 12, 2012 at 10:44 am

It often takes me a while to wash my face in the afternoon (first with a cleansing oil, then with a separate gentle cleanser) — so this actually sounds like a good one to try. I’ll have to look it up. Thank you!

July 13, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Hopefully you’ll like it,Emy :)

shusheshe
July 12, 2012 at 10:59 am

It sounds lovely but overly complicated for busy people (or lazy ones, ie. me).

July 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Lol yes indeed! I now only use it once or twice a week when I have the time to indulge in the shower. On other days, I just go with my regular cleansers and removers :)

Efrain
July 12, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I’ve read a little about it but I think it’s for people with time, I don’t have the patience for try it, also mineral oil is something that makes me go away of it. I’d rather prefer the two step-system: oil/micelle solution and after your regular cleanser.

July 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Hey, but doing a double cleanse takes time too, and this doesn’t need double cleansing ;) but having done both I sort of know what you mean. The effect from using the Eve Lom cleanser is very nice, for my skin. But maybe because of the need to use hot water to clean, I find that to be a hassle, more than the cleansing itself

Renee | Beauty Fool
July 12, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Bwhaha I’m testing this too for a review! ;) It seems OK so far (only tried it once though) but I am NOT loving the mineral oil ingredient though, ugh :(

July 13, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Will be interesting to know how you find it Renee :)

gin July 12, 2012 at 1:45 pm

first impression= so expensive!
XD
guess this is not my cup of tea… i’ll stick to my cheap old cleanser…

July 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Haha I did warn the people bringing in the brand to expect this reaction. It was my first reaction too when I first tried the products. RM200 for a trial set? It’s nuts! :P

espenine July 12, 2012 at 1:58 pm

‘They say its to open and close the pores but I don’t believe in that because pores aren’t doors.’ – LOL!

Just too much of a cleaning hassle, even if it is the best cleanser in the world.

July 13, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Haha yeah, takes a bit of work. I’d be interested to know how it fares for the general populace ;)

Becca
July 12, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Yeah, I always hear rave reviews about this cleansing balm–but personally, I think it’s just the muslin cloth that you see the great effects from. Before getting my Clarisonic, I used a muslin cloth–I even tried the Boots No7 Hot Cloth Cleanser and the results are really all the same to me. It’s just gentle exfoliation. I am a huge fan of using a muslin cloth, but I personally have no desire to try the Eve Lom version–it’s a bit pricey and there’s too many potentially tricky ingredients that could lead to a breakout for my acne-prone skin.
Becca recently blogged…The Sample: NEW Chanel Joues Contraste Powder Blush in 72 Rose Initiale Review & SwatchesMy Profile

July 13, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I’ve heard a lot about the muslin cloth cleaning method too! I never thought to try it because, as you might guess, I just find it a hassle :P t since I already have this Muslim cloth, maybe I could try using it with other cleansers and see how it fares ;)

Chris July 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I’ve been using this too, it’s quite pricey as I got it from the UK during vacation, I had to agree with you that the muslin cloth is a must, my skin is sensitive, I used this every other day

July 13, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Thank you for sharing, Chris! I hope you’ve been enjoying using it so far? The muslin cloth is such a necessity, it can actually be a bother! But using it makes a world of difference

Chris July 13, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Compared to Clinique cleansing balm, I prefer eve lom’s. I wonder if la mer’s cleansing lotion do the same? And of course, I do enjoy using it! =D

July 16, 2012 at 12:20 pm

That’s awesome to know, Chris! I was looking to try the Clinique Cleansing Balm but I read it wasn’t too great so I passed. I’m quite enjoying using the Eve Lom… when I get hot water and have the time LOL!

Swati
July 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm

oh this concept is same just like the liz earle cleanser but liz earle comes with a mousse type cleanser which has to be applied and massaged in the skin and removed with the wash cloth. this is a little more oily and thicker than that. they could have packaged this in a pump if the texture had been a little thinner but this has not other option than a jar. yes, spatula is a must. but, I do like doing this when I have time. the only prob is this takes way too long when one’s in a hurry. btw, do you use this in the morning cleansing as well or only to remove makeup or just occasionally whenever u feel like?
Swati recently blogged…Auravedic Botanical Actives Pulpy Facewash Honey Almond {Product Review}My Profile

July 15, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Ahh Liz Earle is the other brand I am keen to try. I think its a bit more friendly ingredient wise. I don’t use this in the day, only at night or when I have the time. I go for a light cleanser in the day because most of the time, our skin isn’t dirty after just a night :) that said, I took it away with me recently and used it every evening and I think it’s pretty good stuff provided I have the luxury of hot water and time daily.

Swati
July 16, 2012 at 4:52 pm

yes, ingredients are natural but its not exactly chemical free or anything but I liked what I tried from them….the only prob with the brand is their exorbitant shipping costs!!!
Swati recently blogged…Bloated Stomach – Do you feel uneasy after a meal? {Health}My Profile

Jyoan July 12, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Sounds good! I was convinced until the ingredients list appeared. =P I have a feeling Philosophy Purity Cleanser will still be better, though they are not the same type.

July 15, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Lol, yes I can Maine the ingredient list will put off many ;) I haven’t tried many Philosophy skincare products, only the Microdelivery peel thing many years back :)

rudi July 12, 2012 at 6:15 pm

An old friend of mine is an ardent supporter of Eve Lom – even paid a bomb to have a facial by EL herself.

So, courtesy of her, I have tried the EL cleanser before; well, for me it’s far from the best cleanser in the world but then I didnt have and thus didnt use the muslin. And you did mention that is the magic touch that’s needed so perhaps i’ve judged it wrongly.

OTOH, I do love the RMK cleansing balm (gorgeous lovely rose smell and no muslin required – same concept as EL ie balm that melts on skin and washes off with water as an emulsion) but only in temperate countries where the air is drier. In tropical countries, i find it a tad oily.

EL vs RMK cleansing balm? it’s RMK with the delicious Damascus Rose oil in it for me.

July 15, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Wow your friend had a facial by Eve Lom herself? Must be quite something! :) I must say the muslin cloth or maybe any cloth is almost a must when using the cleanser. Otherwise it’s awful and impossible to remove cleanly. The heating with the warm/hot cloth melts the product and I think also helps the skin of the face be cleaner and smoother. You got me intrigued by the RMK balm, Rudi. I’m going to try that!

Sunny
July 12, 2012 at 7:35 pm

As I was telling you on Twitter, I think the ingredient list is disappointing for something that’s in this price range! I don’t mind spending some time cleaning my face properly, but I would tend to invest in a cleanser that has more natural ingredients! It’s probably just a superstition though!
Sunny recently blogged…For Summer 2012, L’Occitane Brings You Fresh Verbena from Corsica… with a Citrus Twist!My Profile

July 15, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Haha whatever makes us happy, Sunny! I personally don’t know enough about what goes into products that work, and I’ve had some bad run ins with natural/organic products too which might explain the way I feel about them ;)

Helz Nguyen
July 12, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I heard about this cleanser in many occasions before.. so I’m a bit temp to try it out but it’s the price that is making me second guessing. From other reviews I read this isn’t all that special as a cleanser, and I think for the texture :/ it maybe more suitable for dry or sensitive skin. But I do like using the muslin cloth idea, sounds very gentle, yet effective cleansing for the skin :) something I might purchase in the near future
Helz Nguyen recently blogged…Exciting news – New website coming soon!My Profile

July 15, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I’ve actually heard of many people who swear by the muslin or wash cloth face washing technique. Some of them don’t even use a product! They just wash their face and use a microfiber cloth or Muslim cloth to wipe their skin. I think that’ll work if we didn’t use makeup or sunscreen but I wouldn’t recommend it :P still, itu can quite easily find muslin cloth or microfiber cloths cheap, so you can try it. I think part of the secret lies in the use of the warm/hot water. It makes our skin feel cleaner,

Sze Ling July 12, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Ahhhhh! THE Eve Lom cleanser!
But but but….that’s just too much work. :( I’d pass. Lazy bum.
Sze Ling recently blogged…Shortbread CookiesMy Profile

July 15, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Remember, no ugly women only lazy ones! Lol ;) I couldnt resist ;)

Sze Ling July 15, 2012 at 10:47 pm