in Discussions,Eyeshadow,Makeup,Palettes

Happy Monday Ladies! <- so oxymoronic on so many levels! icon razz Is the YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans Eyeshadow Palette truly unique and limited edition? How did I end up with one?

I usually like to start off the week with something light and easy (like a makeup review if you have noticed) but when I rather belatedly spotted this unique collaboration between YSL and Facebook, I couldn’t help it. I had to know what you thought of it!

ysl devoted to fans facebook Is the YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans Eyeshadow Palette truly unique and limited edition? How did I end up with one?

The very limited edition YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans palette (just 1650 units worldwide!) is a quad with colours “inspired by Facebook” and created as a tribute to their Facebook fans and a nod to taking their Facebook fans seriously. The cover has the YSL logo with the blue now commonly associated with Facebook making it no doubt what sort of “fans” they were devoted to.

The photo above is mine and that is by all accounts, the YSL Devoted to Fans eyeshadow palette. But is it really the YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans palette? How did I manage to be one of the lucky 1650 people to own what is an iconic piece of brand history? Ahh… now that’s a story! icon wink Is the YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans Eyeshadow Palette truly unique and limited edition? How did I end up with one?

Facebook Fan Nay!

ysl facebook palette Is the YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans Eyeshadow Palette truly unique and limited edition? How did I end up with one?

This is the stock image of the YSL Facebook Devoted to Fans palette. Its similar enough to mine isn’t it?

I’m one of those anti-Facebook characters, so I’m not falling over myself to get it. I maintain my FB page for the blog but that’s about it. I don’t maintain a personal profile or presence on Facebook because I found it too invasive and connected me to people I’d much prefer to be disconnected from.

So for me, I think this a bit of a pathetic attempt by YSL to make use of and connect to a social media platform. The colours aren’t unique (the blue isn’t even that greyed blue of the Facebook logo) and whilst on its own, it might have interested me (it did!), with the Facebook tie-in, I’d run so far in the opposite direction they couldn’t catch me.

What’s next? MAC x Twitter? Chanel x Pinterest? bleh…

BUT as it turns out I own it, and I did not even know it! icon eek Is the YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans Eyeshadow Palette truly unique and limited edition? How did I end up with one?

The YSL Facebook Devoted to Fans palette… or maybe not?

Now here’s the thing. It looked familiar to me. So I went rifling in my stash and I produced this YSL palette. By all accounts, it is the oh so limited edition YSL Devoted to Fans palette where only 1650 palettes were sold at £39 through, you guessed it, the YSL Facebook page! The colours certainly look the same!

ysl devoted to fans facebook2 Is the YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans Eyeshadow Palette truly unique and limited edition? How did I end up with one?

So, since I’m not a Facebook fan and since I only stumbled on this piece of news AFTER it went on sale and was sold out, how did I get my hands on this very limited edition palette?

The answer is simple. I didn’t, and the YSL Devoted to Fans palette isn’t new or specially created or all that exclusive! Its just a big marketing and promotional blitz that I’m not terribly taken nor impressed with.

This palette is in fact, the Pure Chromatics Eyeshadow palette #1. I purchased this last year off StrawberryNET.com Is the YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans Eyeshadow Palette truly unique and limited edition? How did I end up with one? (aff). YSL isn’t available locally and I wanted to try one of the raved about Pure Chromatics Eyeshadow palettes and my choice happened to be #1.

I looked around online and saw that the YSL Devoted to Fans box looks pretty much the same as mine. There were questions as to whether the number 1 on the box was an indication that this was the first of a line of social media themed palettes. Well, I say the mystery is solved. It isn’t. YSL just repackaged and rebranded their Pure Chromatics Eyeshadow Palette #1 with a new cover for the case (but not the box hence #1), and drummed up fuss and news for it by calling it a palette inspired by Facebook. I’m not terribly impressed by this to be honest and I’d feel duped if I didn’t know better!

ysl devoted to fans facebook3 Is the YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans Eyeshadow Palette truly unique and limited edition? How did I end up with one?

The only difference between my original YSL Pure Chromatics Eyeshadow palette #1 and the Devoted to Fans palette is the cover. Mine has the regular iconic YSL stamped cover. The Devoted to Fans palette has an embossed blue cover as you see in the stock image above. You can see more pictures of the actual YSL Devoted to Fans palette at BeautyJunkieLondon which is where I made the connection to the Pure Chromatics #1 palette that I own.

Here are the swatches of the Pure Chromatics Eyeshadow #1 palette which can be used wet or dry. They are swatched dry in this photo, 2 layers.

ysl devoted to fans facebook4 Is the YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans Eyeshadow Palette truly unique and limited edition? How did I end up with one?

I found the colours a bit too shimmery and I wasn’t terribly impressed which is why I left this on the backburner and didn’t review it. I will do, if anyone’s curious. Just drop a note in the comment box and I’ll get to it icon smile Is the YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans Eyeshadow Palette truly unique and limited edition? How did I end up with one?

So, there you have it. If I’m right, the much anticipated YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans eyeshadow palette isn’t new nor specially created nor even inspired by Facebook. They just took their old palette that so happened to contain a blue shade, changed the name, changed the cover, made it limited edition, upped the sexy factor by saying its Facebook inspired, got lots of social media coverage out of it and made it a collectible.

Excellent marketing strategy YSL, but ultimately, I feel its all a bit sneaky. Its like that whole YSL to SLP news all over again – lots of noise but where’s the real substance? Then again, I could be wrong, who knows. I haven’t seen this connection made yet by anyone and YSL seems to be sticking to their story that it was created for their Facebook fans so who am I to say otherwise.

So if you wanted to but didn’t get the YSL x Facebook palette, don’t fret. Just go to your YSL counter and pick up the Pure Chromatics Eyeshadow Palette in No. 1. Based on sight and online photos, I’d safely say its the same thing and it isn’t limited edition (I’m not sure if its discontinued).

Edit: I noticed on the YSL Facebook page that they say that they love their fans and that this palette is a “Declaration of love” for their Facebook fans and their first entirely digital product for their facebook fans. Here’s the product description available after you “Like” the page. If I were truly a fan I’d be quite disappointed to know that the content’s aren’t original and the only original bit I’m getting is the odd looking cover.

ysl facebook Is the YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans Eyeshadow Palette truly unique and limited edition? How did I end up with one?

What say you: YSL x Facebook palette. Yay or Nay? Would it interest you if it wasn’t linked to Facebook? What do you think of this marketing strategy in putting an existing palette forward as new and limited edition without saying so? I naturally was interested in the original palette for the colours which is why I bought it, not because of the Facebook tie in. If it was the latter, I’d be running a mile in the other direction. I of course, stand to be corrected if these aren’t the same palettes but the similarities are too close to argue otherwise.

Detective Paris B, over & out!

The YSL x Facebook palette went on sale (where else but on Facebook) on July 19, 2012 and was limited to 1,650 units worldwide at a price of £39. The Pure Chromatics Eyeshadow Palette in #1 is available at YSL counters or for those of us without YSL counters on StrawberryNET.com Is the YSL x Facebook Devoted to Fans Eyeshadow Palette truly unique and limited edition? How did I end up with one? (aff) where I got mine last year.

Becca
July 23, 2012 at 8:38 am

Ooh that’s pretty darn sneaky of them! I don’t think this was necessary at all–I wouldn’t buy the palette simply because it was LE or linked to Twitter or Facebook or ANY social medial platform. I think the idea is kind of tacky and/or gimmicky. Of course, this is just my opinion.

July 23, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Its my opinion too, Becca! I wasn’t even going to blog about it because I thought it just silly! To base a whole palette around Facebook? Erm… yeah… but when I realised that it wasn’t a new palette, something in my head sort of exploded LOL!

Becca
July 23, 2012 at 7:06 pm

LOL that’s funny. Well I’m definitely glad you pointed this out–I don’t think anybody really realized this. I hate when beauty brands try to be all sneaky. Bah!
Becca recently blogged…The Sample: NEW Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains Review & SwatchesMy Profile

July 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm

That no one mentioned it made me think I was a little bonkers. Maybe I am too much of a conspiracy theorist hehe… :D

Tracy July 23, 2012 at 8:48 am

Huh! I think I have this too! Now that’s just not cool YSL. Not cool.

July 23, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I agree Tracy, so not cool of YSL to be so sneaky and give the impression its specially designed and all that!

dom
July 23, 2012 at 9:19 am

YSL x Facebook? Kinda tacky right? Even if this wasn’t a repromote, I still wouldn’t buy anything that partnered with Facebook. The heck were YSL thinking?
dom recently blogged…Review: Romana Makeup Cube / Makeup OrganizerMy Profile

July 23, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Very tacky! I would never buy any FB merchandise primarily because I’m so anti FB its not funny LOL! I think its a little funny though how YSL say its a Facebook palette but notice there’s no FB logo anywhere?

germs July 23, 2012 at 9:53 am

for real? same shades in a different packaging? how gimmicky :S the whole facebook collab cheapens the palette, i don’t think there’s any value add to this at all and it doesn’t particularly set my inner geek tingling in the toes. it does look pretty on its own though, i’m liking the blue!
germs recently blogged…Heavy duty smooching ahead? Try a Topshop Lip Marker!My Profile

July 23, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Yes! On its own, the palette is pretty. Its the primary reason I got it, because I liked the look of the blue and the taupe in it :) The only good thing to come out of this, is that if you really like just the colours of the palette without that stupid looking cover, you can still own it in the original YSL gold cover :D

Nikki July 23, 2012 at 10:04 am

Oh no, that got me thinking, are the 1,650 palettes old stocks that they want to get rid off? Smarty pants! You are one hell of a detective PB! Great job!

July 23, 2012 at 6:52 pm

HAHAHA You hit the nail on the head Nikki! Maybe they weren’t shifting the palettes fast enough LOL!

xin
July 23, 2012 at 10:08 am

that’s surreal….beauty products x social media? it’s a huge turn off and i think even if it’s something that i like, i will not get it simply due to the association
xin recently blogged…Addicted to the Fresh yet Cheeky: Dior Addict Eau FraicheMy Profile

July 23, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I think you have to be a HUGE fan of both YSL and Facebook to actually buy it cos I think its so silly otherwise. Its like someone told YSL they should connect on social media and they thought “Ooh let’s re release one of our palettes!” >.<

jen July 23, 2012 at 11:15 am

no difference i guess to those blogs that has rules similar to this..must twit, must like, must share on fb and such to win…i usually don’t even bother.

July 23, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Hi Jen, I think I sort of lost you on this one LOL! Did you mean Facebook or YSL?

jen July 24, 2012 at 3:59 pm

oh lordy lord…neither one..responding to the wrong blog! that’s what happens when opening too many tabs and not paying attention. my apologies!! XD

July 25, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Haha no probs, I sorta guessed it ;)

Cottoncandydiva July 23, 2012 at 11:39 am

Really tacky! I would expect something like that with a ‘drugstore’ brand, but not a high-end one…ick! It would be like Zac Posen making a Facebook dress! It’s one thing to make a limited edition (which it’s not!) for the ‘fans’ but don’t alter the brand’s logo. The gold YSL packaging is what makes it look expensive….adding the blue front brings its value down to like $2 lol

July 23, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Now that you mention it, yeah, its something I may expect from a lower end brand but not something with the luxury factor and image of YSL. It seems like their new creative director is going a little nuts with first the name change and now this funny palette that isn’t really new. Sigh…

Lizzi
July 23, 2012 at 11:55 am

When I think of YSL I think of expensive, beautiful, luxurious cosmetics my mum used when I was a little girl. Huge department stores that smelled classy and looked shiny and polished from every angle. This is not what I think of when I think for Facebook. My mum still loves YSL, but she hates Facebook, and I think that sums this ‘collaboration’ up well. Not a match made in heaven, it’s a match made in ‘desperation to look good to a younger generation’ hell but is just a little bit off the mark.

July 23, 2012 at 7:02 pm

You’re absolutely right Lizzi! YSL is about luxury and beautiful cosmetics in elegant packaging, not something this crass. I think I’d be less hard on it if it was a totally new palette with new colours. But to rebrand and repackage an existing palette is way too sneaky!

nani July 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm

*Iissshhh…* What a tacky way to do! And you are right, PB. The association with FB is a huge turn-off. *Another iissshhh…* And there will be 1,650 people that fall trap to this gimmick..

Like Nikki said, you are the Sherlock Holmes of the beauty area.. :)

July 23, 2012 at 7:06 pm

LOL *wears dearstalker cap* I wish they were up front about it and said that the packaging was different or something. But to say they came up with a palette with colours inspired by Facebook is so lame when the colours used aren’t even close to Facebook’s colours! Have you seen a taupe on Facebook? ;)

nani July 26, 2012 at 11:39 pm

LOL… your last sentence is too funny. :) Yes, it is indeed very lame. And to think that it comes from YSL. It made them look very very desperate.

“I’m one of those anti-Facebook characters……because I found it too invasive and connected me to people I’d much prefer to be disconnected from”

You made me laugh when i read that one. LOL. Me and my husband are also those people that anti FB, for the same reason as you. Always thought that we (me and hubby) are the odd ones. :p

July 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Ah, now you know you aren’t alone, Nani! I actually practically closed down my personal profile once people from school started finding me. I got away from all that and I’m not going back there! LOL

Efrain
July 23, 2012 at 12:24 pm

No mames (in Spanish is a rude form of: are you kidding me?). It’s the same palette! When I heard it was inspired on Facebook, it make think: they don’t have good ideas? And know looking this I’m more disappointed about the brand

July 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm

LOL! Thanks for teaching me a new phrase Efrain! :D And no, I’m not kidding! The Facebook tie up was lame enough without discovering they repackaged a palette. I wonder how much more lame YSL is going to get before we’re done :P

Beth Maiorana July 23, 2012 at 12:26 pm

What a Super Sleuth you are, ParisB!! Good job, Girl!! Well, I guess that’s business for you though, eh? Everyone’s using social media platforms anymore. I started out just like you, principally against it and discontinued my page and account until my “shopping” depended on having said account for such matters as pre-sale events, sneak peeks, discounts, and the like; I started mine back up again solely for that. I’m with you still, though. I hate the intrusiveness and the “connections”. Thanks for impressing me greatly, xoxo Beth in Pgh ;-)

July 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Hi Beth my sleuthing powers are sometimes quite extraordinary hehe… Like you I keep my social presence on facebook to just catching up with brands and stores and seeing what’s new. I don’t communicate with friends on there and would prefer no one finds my profile LOL! I do keep a separate blog and personal profile, but I’ve never updated nor even logged into my personal one in years :P

July 23, 2012 at 12:59 pm

OMG… they didn’t! I read about this but wasn’t attracted at all. When I think Facebook, I think sky blue and white, something that don’t appeal to me. It’s really quite dodgy. If it’s a repromote, just call it as such. Renaming it, changing the cover and calling it new and limited edition? Dodgy! Where did these people get their marketing ideas? Good thing they didn’t fool you! Thanks for letting us know. Does this stint make you feel any different towards the brand? I’m definitely put off, for sure!
Lily recently blogged…Gloss Anyone? Dior Addict Ultra-Gloss GlowMy Profile

July 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Like you, I wasn’t remotely interested in the tie up except to scoff at it but when I realised that the palette was actually similar to (if not the same) as the one I owned, something went off in my head. I think its terribly sneaky of them and it does make me look askance at their tactics. I am not quite turned off by the brand yet but I wasn’t a huge fan of anything except the semi loose powder. After this and once they change the name, I might just say forget it, YSL!

kuri
July 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Hrm, just the fact that YSL make a Facebook palette turns me off from the brand.
In addition, it’s dishonest to just repackage an existing palette as LE – they’re ripping off the fans who actually buy the Facebook version.

July 23, 2012 at 7:12 pm

OH yes Kuri! Imagine if you were one of those who bought it thinking it was unique and a collector’s item only to realise later that it is just the cover that makes it special! I’d be quite mad at YSL for leading me on.

Sze Ling July 23, 2012 at 1:45 pm

When I first heard about the whole YSL x Facebook palette, I couldn’t stop laughing. :D Thought it’s a bit lame, to be honest. YSL is such a luxury brand, and Facebook is, well, not really luxury. So, to put those two together is so wrong in every level.

And to top that off, they re-promoted a palette and tag it as “devoted” to their Facebook fan?!! Horror!
Sze Ling recently blogged…CBTL Caramel Cream Rooibos TeaMy Profile

July 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I know! Like you when I first saw the news, I rolled my eyes and forgot about it. But when I realised the colours were similar to (if not the same) as an existing palette, I just had to call them out on it :P

gio July 23, 2012 at 2:08 pm

How tacky! I wasn’t particularly impressed when I heard of this collaboration, but I did like the palette. The colours (especially that blue) look really pretty. But to repromote a palette as a new LE one.. that really cheapens the image of the brand for me.. how disappointing..

July 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Well Gio, now you know that you can buy the palette without that silly blue cover :D

Applegal July 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Looks cheesy to me!

July 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm

The campaign? Yes I fully agree!

Kahani July 23, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Wow PB I think you’ve cracked something here.

July 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm

*adjusts deerstalker hat and cracks knuckles* :D

rudi July 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm

not a fan of fb and shame on YSL!

Three cheers for detective PB!

July 23, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Thanks Rudi and that’s a good summary – I’m not a fan of FB either and YSL is definitely shameless! :P

Helz Nguyen
July 23, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Wow, what a scam! Thanks for the heads up Paris ;). Yeah I’m not so impressed with this palette either, but now that it’s link to Facebook – makes me dislike it even more and the packaging is so tacky and cheap looking too! I’ve always love YSL packaging, but dang – they screw up big this time!

July 24, 2012 at 8:49 am

Gotta agree with you about the big screw up Helz. I do like the palette on its own and what were they thinking to use that silly amateurish blue cover eh?

Lavender July 23, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Boo YSL. Terrible marketing strategy I would say. You are such a genius, can dig out your stash and show the evidence, bravo. They look the same. The blue looked nice though. If you have time, pls do an EOTD. thanks

July 24, 2012 at 8:50 am

I’ll try to do an EOTD with this one Lavender ;) I think the marketing was great to be honest. They got a lot of mileage because everyone was talking about how silly it was lol! But the execution is I feel a bit of a disaster now we know it’s not a new palette.

Sunny
July 23, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I didn’t think it’s a good idea, and even if it is not linked to Facebook these are colors I wouldn’t wear. I mean, OK I know the importance of social networking for brands and so on, but the way this was put isn’t very… classic.

Thanks for discovering this for us, Paris!
Sunny recently blogged…For the Love of Summer and Corals: Guerlain Nahema Rouge AutomatiqueMy Profile

July 24, 2012 at 8:51 am

Haha yeah I couldn’t see you wearing these colours too, Sunny. They’re far too cool for your skintone :) social marketing aside I think they went a bit overboard with this one I think. Hope you’re having fun back home!

Jennifer July 23, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Haha FB edition aside, I thought the blue and purple looked great in your swatches.

July 24, 2012 at 8:53 am

They are pretty colours and I think this is a very pretty palette if one isn’t afraid of shimmer. But to know that YSL just ripped off their own to “create” their Facebook palette really galls me :P

Jennifer July 24, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Yeah, limited edition in conjunction with FB is a very cheap idea. It’s not like FB will be shut down tomorrow or something lol, hence the limited edition. Some target market analysis and deep reflection are required by YSL, unless FB is paying YSL a handsome fee for this deed, if any even!

July 26, 2012 at 9:17 am

LOL!! Imagine the furore if FB decides to shut down. There were rumours of it last year I believe and people were going crazy!

Larie July 24, 2012 at 12:57 am

Haha, oh man! This is too funny. I had all the same thoughts as you – a Facebook palette, wtf? And then this! Too ridiculous. I can’t believe they did that! Hahahaha. You are awesome, Paris.
Larie recently blogged…From A Single Palette: Four Eye LooksMy Profile

July 24, 2012 at 8:55 am

Lol yeah, I was going wtf too when news first came out. But to then find out its a repackaged item and not original makes me wonder about the brand and it’s direction :P

Stacey
July 24, 2012 at 2:47 pm

sneaky sneaky! i had no idea that it was a repackaged/repromote when i blogged about the YSL x facebook palette. i thought they came up with a new eyeshadow palettes just for facebook fans. i was even wondering why the blue eyeshadow wasn’t in the facebook shade of blue. thanks for solving it, i can sleep soundly now. haha

why can’t they just create a new product for this facebook launch? don’t the fans deserve better?

July 25, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I fully agree with you Stacey! If I were a fan I’d be quite quite disappointed to realise that its just repackaged and not carefully selected colours as they gave the impression it was!