in Eyeshadow,FOTD,Makeup,Product Reviews

I don’t seem to talk a lot about Chanel shadows do I? Reason is pretty simple. I absolutely abhor the Chanel eyeshadow palettes we get, which is the European version. It is the one with the round shadow pans, which are baked, but lacking in pigment, highly glittery and just not worth paying the money for. I’ve owned a couple and gotten rid of them. I’ve read that the USA versions are much better but I haven’t tried so I’m not in a position to judge. Still, their last limited edition release of the 51 Montaigne Matelassees palette was quite impressive. Hopefully they shift over to that formula soon and I might be more interested.

chanel taupe grise2 In the case of Chanel eyeshadows, the quality of 1 Taupe Grise single far outweighs the quality of 4

However, if you have the budget, and the inclination, the Chanel Soft Touch eyeshadow singles are something to take a look at. I’d been eyeing one in Fauve for the longest time, but haven’t gotten round to getting it. Instead, I picked one up in Taupe Gris or Taupe Grisé (depending on whether its English or French) and if you like taupe shades, or if you like an eyeshadow colour that you can literally just swipe on and go, this is one worth checking out.

What catches me here is the colour. Its a gray brown taupe shade that is very pretty. There is no perceptible shimmer, but it isn’t matte either and on skin, there is a lovely satin sheen. What makes this colour so lovely is the fact that it is a perfect 1 colour shadow.

chanel taupe grise4 In the case of Chanel eyeshadows, the quality of 1 Taupe Grise single far outweighs the quality of 4

The pigmentation is smooth and it applies fairly smoothly on skin, whether you use your fingers or a brush. In fact, its good with either which makes it even more versatile. The colour is easy to blend out at the edges and if you are really pressed for time, just swipe this on, lightly blend out the edges, apply liner and mascara and you’d be good to go to work, or even to switch up a look for the evening.

On my skin, Taupe Grise is a warmer slightly more purple toned brown that is quite interesting. In fact, it looks like a grey-purple in pan and it is only on skin that the brown tones show up.

chanel taupe grise3 In the case of Chanel eyeshadows, the quality of 1 Taupe Grise single far outweighs the quality of 4

Packaging wise, I wish Chanel would just ditch the sponge applicator. It bugs me when I see a good high end product paired with a really crappy sponge tip applicator that picks up more colour than it deposits. It lulls people into thinking that a product is crap when it in fact, could just be the crappy sponge. Anyone who can afford a Chanel eyeshadow can afford to buy a good eyeshadow brush (which could cost much less than the product!).

In a nutshell

The Chanel Soft Touch eyeshadow are literally soft to the touch and well pigmented. Taupe Gris is a lovely grey brown taupe shade that would suit most skintones. On my skin, it pulls a purple tone that makes the colour quite unique. There is no perceptible shimmer but it does have a satin sheen on the skin. I like to use it alone, with liner and mascara for a simple quick work eye or even as an alternative to black for a smokey eye. Its versatile and easy to blend and the only problem is I’m not sure if its limited edition or permanent icon razz In the case of Chanel eyeshadows, the quality of 1 Taupe Grise single far outweighs the quality of 4

Pros: Easy to blend, Interesting colour that can be easily used alone, Well pigmented

Cons: Pricey, Maybe Limited Edition

Who will like this: Anyone who likes a good taupe shadow

Here’s how I wear the colour alone, with just liner and mascara. I kept the rest of the look simple so it wasn’t too much for the daytime.

chanel taupe gris In the case of Chanel eyeshadows, the quality of 1 Taupe Grise single far outweighs the quality of 4

I like how it softly adds colour to the eyes without looking over done. It is a very simple effortless look that anyone can achieve because anyone can swipe on just 1 colour on your lids right? icon wink In the case of Chanel eyeshadows, the quality of 1 Taupe Grise single far outweighs the quality of 4

I like this and I’m still contemplating Fauve so I might find a way to pick it up. I’m not sure if this is limited edition but it is available on StrawberryNET.com In the case of Chanel eyeshadows, the quality of 1 Taupe Grise single far outweighs the quality of 4 (aff) if you’re keen. I see Fauve there too. Uhoh … icon razz In the case of Chanel eyeshadows, the quality of 1 Taupe Grise single far outweighs the quality of 4

Is Taupe Grise a colour you might like? Have you tried any other Chanel Soft Touch singles and have a colour you like from there? Or perhaps you have the opportunity to compare the European and US versions of the eyeshadow palettes and have thoughts to share?

Chanel Soft Touch Eyeshadow Single in Taupe Grise 87 Price: RM102 (I think) Availability: Chanel counters although this colour may be limited edition

Lily July 11, 2012 at 9:17 am

I bought this at strawberrynet too. It’s still on sale… and Vert Khaki and Fauve. Fauve is a very pretty colour. You should get it! It looks quite good with Illusoire as a base too :-) I quite like the textures of these single eyeshadows and I agree – they’re much better than the quads. I only have 2 of the quads, and they are on the sheer side.

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Ooh High 5 for having this colour too! :D I got Vert Khaki too but there was no Fauve then. I do see Fauve now so I’m very very tempted :D

sharon July 11, 2012 at 9:22 am

Ok so after all the boo boo about Chanel’s eyeshadow quads/palettes this seems like a form of redress for the brand of Chanel. Now thats what I call eyeshadow! yes its sad that that the applicators supposedly provided with the product to give us convenience does not do justice to the eyeshadows >.< those sponge tip applicators you can get at sasa or faceshop or Daiso can do a much better job and serve better justice to the products. Sounds like the same case as NYX where their singles have better colour payoff than the trios.

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Yes, this is definitely a redeeming factor for Chanel shadows, because their quads are really crap (in my view). I do wish they’d just remove the applicators and streamline the packaging a little. That might actually make it more attractive and more sleek :) Japanese brands however do very good applicators so don’t toss those! ;)

Renee | Beauty Fool July 11, 2012 at 9:28 am

Oh my goodness I live for taupe eyeshadow, haha! Will definitely check this one out, thanks :) I use (used?) Bobbi Brown’s Gava which to be honest looks exactly the same, LOL! But I still want it ^^

Kris Ong July 11, 2012 at 9:55 am

Hey, if you are loving this, you should definitely try Chanel Beige Lame Ombre Essentielle. The colour is seems common in the pan until u swatch it! I swear! It’s a medium beige with multi-colored sparkles! The color payoff is nice and long lasting, lasted good 8 hours on me (no primer) on a typical Singapore 33deg day!
I call it a great neutral with that kicks ass!

xoxoKris

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Thank you so much for the rec Kris! I am most definitely going to check it out – would it be No. 52? You got me very intrigued!

Kris Ong July 11, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Hi Girl,
Its from the Chanel Holiday 2011 Collection ( Xmas 2011)
My box here says 417 Beige Lame
Beige Lame is a dark, warmish beige with multicolor sparkle. The texture is similar to Fauve, which was released in the previous collection, but instead of silver sparkles, you get multicolor sparkles.

And u know what, I think it is a great shade to go with a RED LIP =p

xoxoKris

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Ahhhh… that means it was limited edition :( I’ll have to wait for it to pop up on Strawberrynet then and now that I think of it, maybe I should get Fauve before it disappears :P

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Oh if you love Taupe shadows, you will so love this one Renee! :D I’m unfamiliar with the Bobbi Brown Gava but then, we can never have too many Taupes can we? ;)

Iza July 11, 2012 at 9:58 am

Look a bit like my NARS Lhasa. Loooooooveeeeeee!

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Nars Lhasa! I was keen on it, but wasn’t sure plus the packaging was a bit off putting for me. Still, happy you love it! :D

Becca July 11, 2012 at 10:01 am

Looks beautiful on you!!! I wonder why Chanel still does 2 different formulas?? It seems like it’s a common complaint that people don’t like the baked versions (I know I would–I generally dislike baked formulas for anything), so they need to do something about it already!

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Thanks Becca :) I totally get you. I don’t understand what Chanel is up to either with the 2 formula thing. Doesn’t it cost more or something to do that when they can just standardize it worldwide?

Stacey July 11, 2012 at 10:04 am

it’s a very pretty taupe. I do not have any chanel eyeshadows to my collection.. the thought of paying so much for just one colour doesn’t justify it for me. perhaps i haven’t gone over to the dark side.. yet. hehe :P

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Haha yes, and when you do, skip the palettes until they come up with better quality shadows ;)

Isabel July 11, 2012 at 10:10 am

Interesting bits about Chanel eyeshadow with a response (or non-response) from Chanel.

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Interestingly, another reader pointed me to the same video but I am more upset about the poor quality of the shadow vs the quantity although that would of course be something to consider. Chanel really should buck up. I think in this fast paced world, they are slacking.

Hanny Daforcena July 11, 2012 at 10:26 am

It is a very pretty color! ^.^ I’m usually not drawn to browns, but this is just beautiful!

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I can’t wear browns either so this is a friendly compromise! Its not too warm either :D

Nikki July 11, 2012 at 11:22 am

I like that shade!!!! that’s the type of shade that would look good to anyone! (in my humble opinion)

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Nikki, if you say it looks good on anyone, I’ll believe you coz you have the “Makeup Artist” license to say so! :D

Janessa July 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Oo, that looks beautiful! I shall keep that color in mind :] (along with hundreds of other products…)

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Teehee… I’m not sure if this one is a limited edition colour but yes, do keep it in mind for when you want a little splurge. Its a colour you can use every day ;)

kahani July 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm

uh oh. My hand, it’s gravitating to the mouse. IT’s CLICKING ON STRAWBERRYNET. HELP HELP

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 6:11 pm

but…but… I’m not the Queen Enabler for nothing! ;) (psst! did ya click it? I’m actually thinking of picking up Fauve >.<)

Swati July 11, 2012 at 12:50 pm

the color does look really nice :)

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Yes it does, Swati – and its so user friendly too! ;)

gio July 11, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I’m not really into brown and taupe shades, but this one looks very interesting and pretty. :)

Paris B July 11, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I know Gio, me too! I rarely wear browns and sometimes Taupe can go very wrong for me but this ticked the right boxes :D

Sunny July 11, 2012 at 8:28 pm

OOO I like this color! I’m slowly becoming a fan of taupe, but only very slowly because it could go very wrong for me! I have never taken a look at their quads for the same reason, but I should check the single eyeshadows out!

Paris B July 12, 2012 at 9:05 am

Like you Sunny taupe can go very wrong for me too. It makes me look tired but luckily this doesn’t :)

Memoiselle July 11, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Hi Paris,
I am sure I will be loving this. I am always very reluctant to purchase Chanel single eyeshadow because of its hefty price. I don’t know whether is it just me but I do feel Chanel Quads and their single eyeshadows are different in their quality. I feel Chanel singles (or duos) are much better in the texture and pigmentation. Most of my Chanel quads are not very good in pigmentation. Do you feel that?

Paris B July 12, 2012 at 9:07 am

Yes the quads are crap in my view. They should just standardize the quality in all products everywhere

milktea July 11, 2012 at 11:15 pm

The perfect Taupe! :) Perfect for the workplace too!

fyi, did you know we can get the color taupe in Microsoft Windows? ;) I wiki-ed it and the color pixel ratio-thingy was provided. Will try it out and see if it is as aesthetically pleasing as the lovely Taupe Grise! :)

Paris B July 12, 2012 at 9:09 am

Haha that was random! I never thought to check the colour but will now you’ve mention it

Michelle July 13, 2012 at 9:52 am

I love my taupes, but for some reason Magic Night caught my eye first when I went in for Taupe Grise… adding it back to may list. It’s just one of those colors you gotta have.

Red Scarf July 16, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I just loveee taupes.. They are pretty and wearable. Chanel’s D’ombre Illusionaire is a pretty taupe too.. But more on the greyish side..

I have to agree on your ‘sponge applicator’ statement.. Nevertheless, free applicators are mostly useless aren’t they ;)

Paris B July 18, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I have Mirifique but passed on Illusionaire because I found it too sparkly. You now have me wanting to look at it again ;) I find most included applicators a waste of time and space. But I make an exception in Japanese makeup. Their applicators are really good stuff especially if it comes with a brush!

Red Scarf July 16, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Alene July 25, 2012 at 2:28 pm

i am getting it. u evil thing Paris, but i am so getting this. u look BEAUTIFUL in the photo, really gorgeous, i love it!

Paris B July 26, 2012 at 9:43 am

Thanks Alene :D I’m sure you’ll love it ;)

Elaine July 26, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Gorgeous color on you!

I really dislike Chanel eyeshadow Quad…
They are so powdery… but I like the singles! They are way better!

Paris B July 26, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Thanks Elaine and I fully agree with you! I wish Chanel would buck up about their eyeshadow quads :P