Shiseido Perfect UV Protector SPF50+ PA+++ : Good sun protection is the best anti-aging treatment

in Product Reviews,Sunscreen

Reviewed by:
Rating:
On June 21, 2012
Last modified:June 24, 2013

Summary:

Sunscreen is something near and dear to my heart, as well as something I run through quite often. When I find a brand that works, I tend to try to stay with it, and I rarely if ever use anything below SPF50 PA+++ Honestly, in our tropical weather and being so near the Equator, I think anything less is just not enough.

shiseido perfect uv protector

But this isn’t going to be a discussion about SPF. I’ll leave that to the experts (which I will not profess to be). I’d just like to tell you about a sunscreen I’ve been hmming and hawing over the past couple of months, a little unsure about how I feel about it. Ultimately, I like it but there are a couple of things that does make me pause when I consider a repurchase.

The sunscreen in question is the Shiseido Perfect UV Protector SPF 50+ PA+++ which I believe replaces something similar currently in their line up. I have heard a lot of good things about Shiseido sun care products but I never tried them because I’ll be honest, I got confused. They have a range with blue bottles, they have a range with white bottles, and they have loads of sub-brands. Which do I choose?!

Well this is the one I’m using – the one that comes in a white 50ml bottle. The slightly odd bulging shape of the bottle is quite recognizable as coming from Shiseido. And notice how keen Shiseido is to be Perfect in everything they make? Perfect Foundation, Perfect Foundation Brush, Perfect Mascara… and now Perfect UV Protector LOL!

shiseido perfect uv protector spf50 sunscreen product photo with box

The bottle isn’t a flat white, but has a slight iridescence to it, which is quite nice. Packaging, no matter what anyone says, is as important as performance.

And this one performs very well. It claims to be a very water resistant formula, that shields skin from UVA and UVB rays with SPF50+ and PA+++ protection. On top of that, the formula is light and absorbs very quickly, leaving a matte finish so skin does not feel oily, clogged, sticky or anything that might make you dislike using sunscreen. I must say that it does deliver on many accounts.

shiseido perfect uv protector sunscreen back of box

You have to shake the bottle before use and the product dispenses through a nozzle. It makes it easy to control so I’m good with it.

shiseido perfect uv protector spf50 sunscreen nozzle

When I apply sunscreen, I go by the “1 finger 1 portion of face” method. I squeeze out a generous dollop of product and apply on cheeks, forehead, nose and chin, working area by area. That’s 5 dollops in all applied in sequence, blending in as I go. I am quite particular about it, so I try to make sure that all my skin is covered.

I’ve swatched it here to show you what the lotion looks like (I know, a sunscreen swatch. Whatever next?!)

shiseido perfect uv protector spf50 sunscreen swatch

Straight out of the tube, the lotion is quite thin but not very runny. It will hold its shape as you can see here. The white lotion has a slight iridescent tint to it, but it is very light. When blended into my skin, it disappears. There is no white cast and it does feel matte to the touch. There is no shine either but it does not feel powdery or drying as many sunscreens of a similar texture feel. That’s my biggest concern with Japanese lotion type sunscreens. I tend not to use them because whilst they are light, they have a tendency to be a bit drying and make my skin feel dry and “papery”.

This one does not make my face feel that way so it is very comfortable and here’s another benefit – it is an excellent base for makeup. Seriously, I have no need for any other base, because foundation sits very well on this, and lasts without producing too much shine.

Another way I “test” my sunscreen is to wear it when I know I’m out in the sun or outdoors a lot. I find that with this, my skin doesn’t turn red, nor does it feel hot. My pigmentation also seems to be under control, not multiplying by the day. I also used it on my arms and I noticed that over the past 2 months or so, my arms have stopped tanning. I drive around, so although my face is protected most of the time, I am a bit lax about my arms and they are usually darker than the rest of me. But recently, I noticed that the skin on my arms looked better. Not as tanned and they don’t get blotchy and red when I’m out and about. Win!

shiseido perfect uv protector spf50 sunscreen size in hand

So far so good right? Well what’s not so good then?

The scent. There is a light floral sort of scent and a slightly sharp under note that makes me think of alcohol. It dissipates, but it bothered me to the extent that I was hesitant to repurchase due to that sharp note. I’m still weighing it up because I do like how this sunscreen seems to be doing much more for my skin than many previous ones I’ve tried. I put this on a head to head test with a previous fave – Clarins UV Plus HP and I felt my skin burn with the Clarins after an outing, but in similar conditions, this one felt fine. If you are wondering, yes, I applied each on each half of my face so that’s how I knew LOL!

Another thing I’m a bit iffy about is the texture. On my face, it seems to work well. It doesn’t feel too drying and because I use a makeup remover everyday, everything is taken off. But on my arms, its quite a different story. I found after about a week, that soap isn’t quite sufficient to remove it. I could still feel a bit of a “layer” on my skin and water droplets would just slide off. But when I applied a thin layer of oil cleanser to it, then it felt cleaner and water would actually spread on my skin. Also, I found the need to use a body lotion/body oil daily or the skin on my arms would feel a bit dry otherwise. But the skin on my arms look clearer and better and not as tanned! So that’s the other toss up.

I’m one of those who isn’t afraid of sunscreen feeling a bit oily on my skin or of cream based sunscreen. So products like La Roche Posay and Kiehl’s sunscreen work for me even if they turn a little oily over the day. Yet, if I complained about the price of the Kiehl’s sunscreen before (RM140/30ml) then this Shiseido one makes more economic sense at RM130/50ml.

So there’s my conundrum. I like how this performs, in particular in how my skin seems to have benefited from regular use of this – less sun damage, matte feel, does not feel hot after being out in the sun but yet I’m a little iffy about the sharp note in the scent, texture and price. Conundrum indeed!

In a nutshell

The Shiseido Perfect UV Protector SPF50+ PA+++ is a liquid lotion sunscreen with high sunscreen protection and a light feel on the skin. It leaves no white cast and does not break me out at all which is surprising because it contains zinc oxide. My skin seems to have benefited from using this over about 2 months. Sun damage seems minimized (less tanning), skin does not feel warm after being out in the sun and the texture is very light and comfortable on the skin. It seems to live up to its water resistant claims because droplets of water just seem to slide off my skin. As a result, I have to use a cleansing oil on my arms to ensure the sunscreen is properly removed. Its a bit curious but there you go. I do like this one very much. If I can get over my hang ups I will repurchase when I’m done, because my skin seems to have benefited from it.

Pros: Light texture, Matte feel on skin, Skin does not turn red or warm, Tanning is minimized, Excellent makeup base

Cons: Floral scent with a bit of a sharp note, Pricey for first investment, A little drying on arms

Who will like this: Anyone who wants a sunscreen with high UVA and UVB protection, Anyone who wants a sunscreen that feels light on the skin with no white cast and makes a good makeup base, Anyone who wants a sunscreen that does not make the skin turn oily throughout the day

Here is the ingredient list for those interested.

shiseido perfect uv protector sunscreen ingredients

My primary concern when trying this sunscreen was the presence of Zinc Oxide. My skin dislikes Zinc Oxide and will usually break out when a sunscreen uses this as its blocker. When I started using it, I did experience some minor spots but after 2 months I can safely say its not attributable to this sunscreen because I haven’t had any serious breakouts since. No clogged pores either.

After about 2 months and with daily use on face and arms, I am just slightly over halfway through the bottle. I suppose on a cost-per-wear basis, the RM130 goes a much longer way than other sunscreens in a similar category :)

If you didn’t already know, good sun protection products and practices are the best anti-aging treatment you can have. UV rays damage the skin and can cause it to look older than it really is. Till today, I gasp in mild horror whenever someone tells me that they don’t use sunscreen for whatever reason. There are loads of different products with different textures in the market. I’m sure there’s one for everyone :)

Do you use sunscreens from Shiseido or have you tried this by any chance? Its been out for a couple of months but as I have noted, it is a revamp of an existing one. I used to be recommended sunscreens by Shiseido everytime I asked but as I said, I never knew which to try. So since I’ve tried this one, I can safely say that it gets the thumbs up for sun protection, provided you get past the scent :)

Shiseido Perfect UV Protector SPF50+ PA+++ Sunscreen Price: RM130/50ml Availability: Shiseido counters

Disclosure: Featured product was provided by PR for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

Michelle Beh June 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

Nice blog on this! I haven’t try it yet but I’m thinking to get one since my current sunscreen lotion gonna finish soon. Heard a lot of raves on this as well~~ =)

June 22, 2012 at 11:53 pm

I’d always read nothing but raves for Shiseido sunscreen but seriously, it’s so confusing 😛 but now I know which to use, I’m sticking with it :)

gin June 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

wow Paris this is a very detailed post! Thank you!
and yes u just made my brain telling me i need this!!!!!!!!!!! i tried a sample size before, felt good and was contemplating, until just now!
lol..
it is on sale in isetan now, rm150 going with some other free travel size goodies but i must stop myself to dash out and grab this…
i already overspent this month and i have the dior snow one from my mum to be used…..(have you used that one? whats your thought for that??)

but this is definitely on top of my to-buy-list!

June 22, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Ooh thanks for telling me about the offer. A friend of mine wants to get it so we’ll have to go to Isetan then! Hope the offer is still on :) I tried the Diorsnow one a long time back but it broke me out :( it’s supposed to be very good too because of the high content of zinc oxide which makes it a good block for UVA and UVB rays.

Gin June 23, 2012 at 9:25 am

Oh the isetan was klcc isatan.. However Me and my friend passed by midvalley metrojaya one yesterday and they were out of stock.. They also mentioned that it is out of stock even in warehouses..
One thing to note: the blue bottle 100ml one of 30spf is only 115! If ur friend doesn’t mind 30spf and non water proof It could be a good option hehe.
Hmm I hope the Dior one works for me… I am running out of my current biore soon..

June 24, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Thanks for the info. I’m not a fan of spf30. I get so paranoid especially when I have to be out and about :) guess my friend will have to wait for stock if it’s out or get another brand :)

Hanny
June 21, 2012 at 9:38 am

For some reason, I still cannot justify buying sunscreens from high street brands >.<" Hmmm… I finished a Loreal one in 3 months, so, methinks it's better to go through the drugstore ones b4 settling onto better pastures?
Hanny recently blogged…Hanny’s Great Discovery!!! Change Your Eyeshadows Into Eyeliner With This Simple Object!My Profile

June 22, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Nothing wrong with the Loreal one. I used to use it too but found it too oily after a while. Think Hada Labo is better in terms of texture if I’m comparing pharmacy brands :) but I did used o like the purple tinted Loreal one. Went through copious tubes and everyone in my family was using it :)

LEMON June 21, 2012 at 9:43 am

Hi paris,

I have been using Anessa, this is my 3rd bottle, there are different versions and whatever you have described here fit them very well. I use them as makeup base too. :-)

June 22, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I’d heard a lot about Anessa sunscreens but I don’t think we get it here :( when I did see it overseas, it only ever had the Japanese writing so I never know what they are for 😛 still it’s the same parent company anyway so it could be a more affordable option :)

Germs June 21, 2012 at 10:00 am

I sat up straight when you said it performed better than Clarins! Thanks for this detailed post.. As usual something so good doesn’t come cheap though :( this seems like one of those items that should be stocked up when passing by duty free shopping at the airport :) and yes, Shiseido does have so many sunscreens that i kinda switch off when people recommend it too so this might be The One!

June 23, 2012 at 12:00 am

Haha we’re you slouching before? 😉 yes I found it worked better than Clarins in a sun and heat test but nope, price is definitely prohibitive. That said, compared with the other department store brands, it seems to be more affordable because it’s 50ml and not a measly 30ml. Duty free is definitely a good place to get it, or if you are in MY 😉

Rakanishu June 21, 2012 at 10:13 am

I think im getting this sunscreen soon. I managed to get a sample a few days ago n I have been more than satisfied. But i just don’t get the “Removes easily with basic cleansers” bit. A normal cleanser will not remove this sunscreen.

I have used quite a few Shiseido sunscreens throughout the years and this one is among the better ones. They use to sell the Anessa Perfect UV SPF50+ PA+++ locally. Both r pretty similar in terms of texture but the Anessa one is definitely more matte n drying. But it was cheaper though, RM105 for 60ml. So i guess that’s why the Anessa is no longer available locally.

There is also the Multi Defense UV Protector (RM125, 30ml) which is thicker in texture and less matte.

Based on your review I guess the Perfect UV is best for oily skin ?

June 23, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I will agree with you. Normal cleanser will not remove this sunscreen totally. As I use a makeup remover almost daily its not an issue for me, but I can imagine it will be a hassle for others. I will also attribute it to the waterproof formula. I will consider that those with oily skin will like this one due to the matte finish. But I have slightly dry skin and it’s good for me too so I will say most skintypes will find this good for them.

Ollie June 21, 2012 at 11:00 am

I use Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 60PA+++ (the blue bottle), the SPF 32PA+++ eye sunscreen and the lip balm I think is around SPF 30. I have oily skin but the dewy finish actually looks dewy and works. I am concerned about the high content of polymers and silicones..and all that other stuff though:/. I got a sample of the white one but it tripped me out with the “UV Protector” but then says UVA/UVB spectrum? why not put both Perfect UVA/UV Protector? Higher content only for UV rays ?lol

June 23, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Perhaps they mean it protects against all UV rays hence UV Protector? :) can’t quite say, when it’s the Japanese at work hehe i learnt that it isn’t easy or even possible to make a Truly very natural or organic sunscreen of high SPF. For now, I’m going with this on the basis that they should be lab tested enough and I’d rather be protected with some chemicals than suffer sun damage :) just me though.

Ollie June 24, 2012 at 7:50 am

Yes I realized that too! the natural ones never have a sun protection factor I’m comfortable with, although it would be awesome to have a natural sunscreen I rather stick with chemical ones that have held up just fine through sweat without a worry lol. There is this affordable natural sunscreen I’m interested on and it’s all natural, I’ve read some promising reviews about it it’s call Mexitan 100% All Natural SPF 50 Sunscreen Lotion

Nikki June 21, 2012 at 11:01 am

Hi PB! I’ve tried the original version, the Blue tube! :) This product intrigues me with the “VERY WATER RESISTANT” words ! :)

June 23, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Oh yes it is! Shiseido got their women Olympic beach volley ball player to test it! Pretty impressive :)

Mira
June 21, 2012 at 11:17 am

I haven’t try any sunscreen from Shiseido. I’ve tried Clarins and Dior, but I have been sticking to Dior for 2 years already. The only products from Shiseido that I’ve used are the Makeup Lifting Foundation and Maquillage compact powder.

June 23, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I find Clarins lacking something. Dior is supposed to be very good. I however breakout from it. Pity eh?

sharon June 21, 2012 at 11:18 am

I am actually on the fence about this sunscreen too. I did a test at the counter and though it felt light, but it also felt kinda greasy too..I am always on the lookout for sunscreens which works also as a makeup base, instead of encouraging foundation to slide off. I have tried the Clarin HP sunscreen (was given generous samples) and til date I dare say that is the best sunscreen ever cos it stays on and on and helps enhance staying power of foundations so I can actually use it with those ‘underperforming’ foundations. I would think the Faceshop sunscreen (the one in the gold tube which says it works as a makeup base) would come in as a cheaper version of the Clarins HP. The ROC one in the orange tube is pretty good too. Have always wanted to try out the Annessa ones though 😉

June 23, 2012 at 1:29 pm

How strange, Sharon, I didn’t feel the greasiness. But then I guess we all have different tolerances. I have used loads of super thick greasy sunscreen in my time, so this feels super light to me lol! I broke out from ROC pretty badly but I haven’t tried the others. I hear Anessa is good too and possibly a bit cheaper than this one 😉

Jyoan June 21, 2012 at 11:35 am

I don’t buy Shisedo skincare because I found out their white lucent range is filled with alcohol. So I was not surprised when I saw this sunscreen is very silicone and alcohol-based too. I guess it’s really quite sad for me because I have seen so many rave about this, but yet to see anyone complain. I feel like I must be the only person on this Earth who will not enjoy it. T_T

espenine June 21, 2012 at 2:32 pm

U are not the only one! I am never going to touch this sunscreen because of the high silicone & alcohol & chemical sunscreen content. It’s a very difficult choice to make because so many sunscreens out there are like that. But I insist on not putting ‘rubbish’ on my face & face breakouts!

June 23, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Yep, most Japanese skincare contain alcohol. To be fair this one feels less drying and slippery than many other products containing the same ingredients so I will put it down to formulation. I think it performs very well for a sunscreen which is very important and hence the minimal complaints :) ultimately of course, it’s to each their own because we can’t all like the same stuff for our own reasons :)

June 21, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I have tried the Multi-Defence UV Protector and loved it! I wonder if this replaces it. I went to the Shiseido counter last week to buy this but I was out of luck. Apparently, this sunscreen is sold out. I’m waiting for them to re-stock but they haven’t called me yet. I’m getting a little impatient here, especially after reading your review 😉
Lily recently blogged…Lengthen your lashes with L’Oreal Paris Double Extension MascaraMy Profile

Liyeun June 22, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Hi Lily, after reading ur review bout Multi Defense that you were using, I wanted to get it until the SA told me that Multi Defense sunblock is best used for body (due to whatever reasons that I’d long forgotten) so she encouraged me to get this new one instead. Besides, the new one can be removed with any normal cleanser, unlike all the earlier sunblocks of Shiseido that require a cleansing oil to remove the sunblock….

June 23, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Hmm… It might be a replacement, but I’m not sure. After being so confused at the array of sunscreens available in Shiseido, I sort of gave up lol! Hope your counter gets it in soon. I’m going to get a back up for myself too :)

Sam
June 21, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I like the Shiseido sunscreens and always buy them for my mum (she needs all the SPF she can get). I prefer Neutrogena for myself (no break outs).
Sam recently blogged…The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott FitzgeraldMy Profile

June 23, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I haven’t used Neutrogena in ages! But when I did, I was quite happy with it too. My sis did complain that it wasn’t very waterproof when she took it to the beach lol!

Sze Ling June 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Confession time! I’m horrible at applying sunscreen on my face, let alone the arms. But it’s not cause I’m lazy, it’s due to fact that I HATE the smell of sunscreen. You know, THE smell. 90% of sunscreen out there has that smell. Even if they their to mask it off with some other fancy fragrance, I can still detect it. Crazy right? 😛

I’ve tried 2 different sunscreen from Shiseido before, and didn’t like them. So, it never occur to me to go back to them.

Recently tried the Dermalogica Super Sensitive Shield SPF30 and it doesn’t have the sunscreen smell (rejoice!). But I still haven’t really made up my mind on whether it’s a keeper or not. 😀
Sze Ling recently blogged…Dorset Cereals (I’m Glad I Found You)My Profile

June 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Ahhhh you have to remedy that, Sze Ling :/ it’s the only true key to an anti-aging skincare regiment :) I grew up having Coppertone slathered all over me. Nothing beats the horrible metallic smell of Coppertone! That maybe why I don’t notice the smell of products that have sunscreen. My nose was made immune from young lol!

Petrina Alescna June 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I’ve only tried the blue shiseido one and didn’t like it (luckily it was a sample) I’m still staying true to my Lancôme one – a love affair 4 years running and never fails me

June 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Great to know there’s one that works for you! I stopped using the Lancôme one after I realized it was too similar to the Loreal UV Expert hehe….

Becca
June 21, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I love shiseido’s sunscreens! I was using Laura Mercier’s for a while, but I recently got the Urban Environment Oil–Free UV Protector SPF 42 PA+++ and I love it! The LM one is a bit more silicone-y so it works well as a base, but I really do like Shiseido’s just as much!
Becca recently blogged…The Sample: Shiseido Luminizing Satin Face Color in BE206 Soft Beam Gold ReviewMy Profile

June 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Yay! I wonder if the one you have is the same as ours? I think the US has different requirements for sunscreen. I hear the Urban Environment one is very good too :)

milktea June 21, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Have u tried Missha spf50 soft finish sun milk? The non-greasy quality reminds me of Missha’s sun milk which I got as a sample. It also can’t be removed with soap alone. The high price of Shiseido and the needs-more-than-soap cleansing bit do put me off though. Otherwise, great product! :)

June 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Nope I haven’t tried much of anything from Missha. Can we get it locally?

milktea June 23, 2012 at 10:30 pm

nope, unfortunately :( i got mine thru low yat forum.

Liyeun June 21, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Bought this sunscreen when it was first launched. I had never used Shiseido’s sunscreens before as I did not like its strong smell of alcohol, but this is not the case! It was love at first swatch! No breakouts or whatever. Dior is equally good, but this is PERFECT for my pocket! Hehehe….

June 23, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Hi Liyeun, thanks for sharing! I thought there was a bit of alcohol scent but maybe my nose is bonkers hehe… Glad you’re liking this one too :)

Helz Nguyen
June 21, 2012 at 8:13 pm

The only sunscreen from Shiseido’s I have used is from the Anessa range. It performed alright, but the one I got have shimmers in it so I can only use it in the winter times. On summers, it would be too noticeable that I have shimmers on my face :D. Overall good product, Shiseido has some really good, high quality products :) got nothing but love for that brand!
Helz Nguyen recently blogged…Five Ways To Play With Your Eyeshadows – Makeup TutorialMy Profile

June 23, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Haha sunscreen with shimmer puts me off actually. I can never see the point 😛 but like you I’m rediscovering this brand and liking. Lot of what I’m trying :) their skincare is not bad but I haven’t tried enough of it. Their makeup is very lovely though! Loads of love for the brand too 😀

Bugs June 21, 2012 at 8:23 pm

This is the 1st item i rush-ly bought after juz 1 sachet of sample, 1) becoz i have juz the right amount of Cosmetic & Fragrance vouchers to spend, 2) i didn’t look at the ingredient list on the sachet.

Me too have the love-hate feeling for this sunscreen. To me it dries up too quickly but the scent didn’t bothers me. Plus the SA told me it can be washed of with normal cleanser, meaning no need to use makeup remover, and stupid me believed her ==”’ I was thinking it’s perfect as my “morning market walk” sunscreen. Got few bumps on my face the 3rd day coz i juz wash my face with normal cleanser when I shower after my morning walk. Big mistake.

If I’ve noticed the Dimethicone and alcohol, would surely won’t touch it. Currently using Hada Labo, it’s cheaper too.

June 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Oops! Sorry to hear you broke out. If your skin is sensitive to silicone or alcohol then I would expect it would happen :( I like Hada Labo too! Lovely and light and does a pretty good job. Not sure of its waterproof qualities though, have you tried it? :)

Pei Yee June 21, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I use hada labo, cheap and nice. I use on arm too, consume very fast.

ruthie June 22, 2012 at 11:48 am

may i know which hadalabo you use for sunblock in the face?

June 23, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Locally, theres only 1 Hada Labo sunscreen which is the emulsion and can be used on face and body. Heres a link to what it looks like.

June 23, 2012 at 1:48 pm

It’s good stuff. I’m a fan of it too although I prefer the cream texture. Too bad the cream texture only comes in SPF 30 :(

Shay June 21, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Wow! Sounds good!

I shall get my hands on this when I get to HK. I suppose it would be cheaper there!

June 23, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Not sure about that, but it’ll be cheaper at duty free! 😉 when are you headed to HK then? In time for the summer sales? 😉

Shay June 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I’ll be there in Aug. :)

June 24, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Nice! I believe thats sale time 😉

Emy Shin June 22, 2012 at 3:34 am

I’m completely obsessed with sunscreen after darkening by several shades last summer due to 3-hour daily commutes. I’ve been using a Shiseido sunscreen — and while I love how cosmetically elegant it is (no oiliness and no white cast), I still tanned a little bit more. But my current Shiseido sunscreen has a lower SPF factor (38) — so I just might give this a try next after using the La Roche Posay sunscreen I just bought. :)

June 23, 2012 at 2:00 pm

3 hour daily commutes! Wow :O I do find that with lower SPF I will tan a little more so do try the higher SPF and I hope that’ll do it for you :) I do like La Roche Posay too but since it’s so hard to get here where it isn’t sold, I guess I’ll have to stick to this Shiseido one for now :)

juan
June 22, 2012 at 3:37 am

i was just thinking to myself when i saw the ad on this product in a magazine and i thought i’d like to try it out as i was pretty much attracted to its clean packaging. now after reading your review, i have decided to grab it the first chance i get 😉
juan recently blogged…Getting all excited about the Avent Special Edition Baby Blue and Pink bottles.My Profile

June 23, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Hope you’ve managed to get your hands on this one? In our current weather we need all the help we can get!

BunBunMakeupTips
June 22, 2012 at 8:10 am

I just got the blue bottle one yesterday, the Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF60. I’ll do a review when I get to know it better. But how did you manage to conclude your skin doesn’t like Zinc Oxide? I’d really like to know what my skin doesn’t like.
BunBunMakeupTips recently blogged…I’m Involved In Singapore NDP 2012!My Profile

June 23, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I was trying a few sunscreens with very high zinc oxide content a few years ago. Zinc oxide is supposed to be the best uv blockers for both UVA and UVB rays but I’d break out after using all of them, from various brands. Sunscreen with Titanium Dioxide was fine. That’s how I eventually worked it out. It’s not common though I found some very few people talking about it online back then.

Shidah June 22, 2012 at 9:21 am

Hmm, it’s time I checked the ingredients of my so far fave sunscreen which is by Lancome. I’ve been thinking of trying something new and if the ingredients are similar I might just try this….

June 23, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I think the Lancôme texture is a bit heavier compared to this but it’s been a long time since I used that one :)

Jesz June 22, 2012 at 9:37 am

I haven’t try this but this definitely sounds good to me…
I’ve ordered the Naruko Tea Tree Anti Acne Sunscreen which come with SPF50+++ and lightly tinted…not sure how will this perform on my face though. Hopefully it is doing well on me coz my face generally react to sunscreen… Anyway, got to wait till I finished this (if my face do not react) before I could venture into the Shiseido one.

June 23, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Haven’t come across the Naruko one but an anti acne sunscreen sounds very interesting!

Swati
June 22, 2012 at 10:53 pm

wow…I so wanna try it right away, Paris 😀 thank you so much for this review…will surely go for this after my current stock is over. btw, how much of the sunscreen do you apply? I mean you said one finger for one portion means one finger length of sunscreen or a large dollop for one half or what???
haha…loved your comparison with clarins…the way you applied both sunscreens on two halves of your face 😀
regd sunscreen on the arms, yes, its very imp to cleanse the arms too…I do that regularly. btw, did one bottle last you for two months??? will check out if its available in India too though I guess it should be.
Swati recently blogged…Enter Oasap Giveaway!!My Profile

June 23, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I use quite a sizeable dollop, about the length of the top phalange of my finger? Something like that. 2 months takes me to about half a bottle so this should safely last me up to 4 months unless I go to the beach in the meantime, where I’ll likely use more :) hope this helps!

Swati
June 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm

so is it like that much on both cheeks and forehead each or for one half of the face??? and, it doesn’t get heavy at all???

June 24, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I use that much for each part of the face so that makes it 5 dollops in all. Nope, not greasy at all. I do the same with all brands of sunscreen. I have a very high tolerance for grease lol! But this one is exceptionally good and staying more matte.

Samantha June 22, 2012 at 10:57 pm

i love this sunscreen too!! they having a winning texture which is not too thick & agree that it does not feel papery..most importantly no whitish cast on my face, a big YAY for me (being a tanned skin girl, the whitish cast can look so awkward and i always have to waste a bit of time waiting for the sunblock to sit and absorb into my skin before i can apply my foundation)

June 23, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Happy you like this too and that you knew what I was talking about when I mentioned the papery feel haha! It’s a nice one right?

Jennelle June 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I have tried the white one tat is 30ml which is said to be for face only, and yes.. I agree with the scent as well. Recently, i got samples of this one and apply one sachet of it to my face, arms and legs for my Sepang Trip… I was impressed as there is no redness but I got a bit tan though after 6 hrs out and about in the sun :) now my existing sunscreen is running low and still considering if I should splurge or try drug store brands… Any recommendations?

June 23, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Well I like this one, because as you said, no redness on skin. That tells me it’s doing a good job blocking the UVB rays :) from the pharmacy, I like the Hada Labo Emulsion and Loreal UV Perfect. The former is light in texture and the latter is more oily. If you have access to it, I highly recommend La Roche Posay Anthelios but many people find it too oily. I like it though as well as Vichy :)

Jennelle Leow June 23, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Thanks for all e info, i will probably try hada labo or vichy as i have heard great reviews abt them :)

bronzechiqz June 23, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I was eyeing on getting this when Im down to Malaysia in September.But then currently the summer here in Europe is too hot too handle, I can’t wait that long while getting baked and burnt lol! I had a so-so relationship with La Roche Posay Anthelios sunscreen earlier, its a fluid type.But then it did leave a slight whitish cast.Then I discovered Bioderma Photoderm Max spf 50 ultra fluid, hands down! no masky or whitish cast!! Best of all.no breakouts yay! Plus my makeup after this sunscreen looks gook too.

June 24, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Ooh that Bioderma sounds like a good one! It seems like summer has finally arrived in Europe then? Just a while ago I was reading laments about how cold it still is when it’s already June!

trah June 25, 2012 at 11:14 am

I’ve tried Shiseido’s sunscreen before. While it works well for me, I dislike the white cast after application. I’ve only used a bottle and stopped.

Currently using Biore’s UV Perfect Milk sunscreen SPF50+++ which cost less than RM50 and my face stays matte at least 6 hours. Sometimes when I don’t have time to apply my make up, I will still apply this sunscreen. I can afford the extra minute for sun protection + oil control.

June 26, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I don’t know about other Shiseido sunscreens but this didn’t leave a white cast :) I haven’t tried the Biore one yet but I hope to soon – its good to know that it works so well at such an attractive price too! 😀

Stephy July 16, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I never use sunscreen..opps..
you might think i am crazy..haha
cos i don’t like a thick layer on my face. and each time i apply, i can see pimples popping out =(
Maybe because i dint really use make up remover to clean them away.
But it is time for me to search a suitable one since i might go to the beaches…

July 18, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Yes, Stephy do find a sunscreen that will suit your skin because really, sunscreen is the only one true anti aging product. Everything else is just gloss :)

Janice August 4, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Hello! I’m using Kanebo Blanchir White Deep UV Day Protector 60 ml at RM 110. Have u tried this?
And just wondering, is it sufficient to just use cleansing milk (e.g. from Nivea) as a make up remover? I only use sunblock, make up base (from laneige) and concealer wherever needed.

August 5, 2012 at 12:16 am

I haven’t used the Kanebo sunscreens but my friend does and loves them. I tried it but didn’t quite like it. As for removal, I’m a huge fan of cleansing oil so I would say that if you use any base makeup or waterproof sunscreen it might be better to use a cleansing oil or at least a proper makeup remover before cleansing, to make sure you get rid of all the residue. But if you feel it’s clean enough using just cleansing milk then of course, don’t let me tell you otherwise :)

casey23 August 13, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I have two questions about general spf’s :) One is, do you also have to use cleansing oil to remove spf from usual day moisturizers (containing spf)? Also, there is a shower oil from L’Occitane (almond oil, which is lovely btw!) do you think we can use it to remove spf from body, I don’t want to use my regular cleansing oil to remove spf daily ‘cuz it is very expensive for me and I don’t want it to finish quickly :(

August 14, 2012 at 11:00 am

Hi Casey actually I’m not sure about how some sunscreens stick to the skin but I do find that a cleansing oil removes stuff off my skin much better than a normal cleanser can. But as I use makeup daily for work, I use a cleansing oil daily (except for weekends). For the body, I now use something lighter (Biore sunscreen) which doesn’t seem to leave a cast like the Shiseido one (It got too expensive to use this daily on the body) I actually don’t know how the L’Occitane will work on it – but I do love the almond shower oil – omg! Such decadence! 😀

kakai August 1, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Paris,

thanks for this blog on sunscreens – I’m fighting with myself which one to choose but now i’ve got an idea.
BTW, have you heard of Innobloc sunscreen – could you make a review of this please? that would be appreciated…Thank you..

Kai

August 2, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Thank you, but I’ve never heard of Innobloc before. If I ever try it, I’ll be sure to review it :)

myra December 21, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Hye sweety paris B… i agree with u. Realy fall in love with this sunbolck.. in skincare regime i always mix n match due i have unpredictable skin condition sometimes can b too much oil.. sometimes tend to dry. I also having unbalanaced hormone problem. So hard to find corect skin care. F.y.i for cleanser im using agless range from image n mix with clinique cleanser. Toner using clinique also dermawhite toner n antiblemish toner using alrernate depend on skin condition then folow with sk2 f.t.e then celemunition essence. For moisturizer im using clinique yelow lotion n gel cream dermawhite.. i have to blend it together since unpredictable skin condition lol… lastly shiseido sunblock spf 50…. ???????????????? my dear p.B im confiuse in d catalouge they printed spf 50 pa++++ or pa+++???

December 24, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Hi Myra, glad you’re a fan of this sunscreen too! I believe you’re right. It should be PA++++ but I don’t believe it makes a difference because as far as I know, PA+++ is the maximum rating for UVA blockers. Maybe the extra + was as emphasis like SPF50+ 😛

myra December 22, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Is that anyone here trying obagi sunblock spf50 from nuderm???

December 24, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I have but it broke me out very badly so I don’t have anything good to say about it.

Peggy May 22, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I was surveying for a good sunscreen as the weather in Kuching is getting hot and i found this last month. Bought it and after trying it for a month im so happy with the result. When i use it, my skin no longer sting for the exposure to sun compared to other brand ( I had laser surgery to fix my acne scar problem). Thanks for this wonderful review, so glad i found my HG sunscreen

may October 20, 2014 at 8:07 pm

this contains isopropyl myristate which is highly comedogenic. I bought before seeing the ingredients and now I dare not use it on my face :(

Tracy December 19, 2014 at 10:28 am

Hi, just to let you know I have finally taken the plunge and bought this sunscreen (Was hesitating for the longest time due to its alcohol content and fragrance) and I am loving it! Easy to apply, high spf, no white streaks, leaves a beautiful finish (for no make up days) and works very well as a make up primer too. And unlike most Japanese sunscreens, it works well for my dry skin. Thanks for the recommendation; I am a convert now!