Sculpt and Highlight: The Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact is nice for fair-skinned gals

in Bronzer,FOTD,Highlighter,Makeup,Powder,Product Reviews

burberry sheer summer glow powder review

2012 will be marked down in my diary as the Year of the Bronzer! I bought my first bronzer last year and am still getting to grips with it. I experimented with the Dior Aurora Healthy Glow Tan powder this year, which I quite liked maybe because it had pink tones so I could use it as a blush, but I still had to be quite careful with it.

The latest one I’ve experimented with is the Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact. Burberry Beauty releases new products every season, usually in small batches of a new colour or a new product, but they always make them permanent. The Sheer Summer Glow compact powder is the only exception. This beauty is limited edition so you know what to do icon razz Sculpt and Highlight: The Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact is nice for fair skinned gals

The Sheer Summer Glow is a palette of 4 coloured powders that can serve as bronzer and highlight and the texture is supposed to be fine enough to be used also as finishing powder. So you can just dust a thin layer all over for colour and to set makeup. It does look very pretty but I was curious to see if it might be too dark or brown for me as many bronzers are.

The powder in the Sheer Summer Glow compact is very fine. There is some shimmer in it but it does not apply shimmery. There’s a subtle difference.

burberry summer glow3 Sculpt and Highlight: The Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact is nice for fair skinned gals

Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting compact

The surface of the powder is etched with the signature Burberry check that adorns all the Burberry Beauty packaging and powders. There are 4 shades in the compact to serve different functions but for those looking for colour, you may be disappointed, because this powder is sheer.

It being sheer does help those who are very fair or pale skinned, because you don’t have to be too afraid that you’d look like you fell face first into dirt. However, another slight drawback is that the two lighter shades – pink and cream – are very light and very sheer but the two darker shades – brown and beige – are quite pigmented. So I find that my brush picks up the browns more than the light shades. The upside is that the browns aren’t orangey.

burberry summer glow4 Sculpt and Highlight: The Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact is nice for fair skinned gals

Burberry Sheer Summer Glow swatched clockwise from top left – brown, pink, cream, beige

I swatched this with fingers. The two brown shades swatched quite easily but the pink and cream highlighter shades took about 4 layers for the colour to show up. That’s a good thing in the sense that you do not end up with too much product and shimmer on your skin. Its a bad thing if you want to pick up more highlight than bronzer. Its a bit of a delicate balance to have to achieve.

burberry summer glow2 Sculpt and Highlight: The Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact is nice for fair skinned gals

The packaging does deserve mention. It is suitably hefty to justify the luxury factor of the brand and looks good. It is fairly large and I do think it is quite a good compact for anyone just starting to get into bronzing and bronzers because you are less likely to make a mistake with this one than with a straight out brown bronzer compact. The highlighting powders help diffuse colour and add dimension while the browns can be experimented with for subtle contouring. You could even use the colours as eyeshadow which then saves you carrying an eyeshadow compact when you travel!

The only thing I would say is that it does not serve a blush function. I was hoping the pink would show up subtly enough, but it does not. I wasn’t sure how to show you how this looks so here is an unretouched before/after photo using this Burberry Sheer Summer Glow compact.

burberry summer glow5 Sculpt and Highlight: The Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact is nice for fair skinned gals

Erm… there is some subtle difference right? I go from pancake face to something approximating highlighted cheekbones? LOL! Well something like that anyway. I also took a fluffy powder brush, lightly brushed over the whole compact and then brushed all over the face. Happily, it does not make me look too tanned. I don’t take kindly to looking too tanned.

I later topped up the cheeks with a light pink blush. I personally prefer having blush over bronzer because the blush brings out a healthier glow for me. The Burberry Sheer Summer Glow powder does work for my colouring although I don’t think it’ll work for those who are too dark or too tanned. It won’t show up and you will be disappointed. So I’d put the Burberry Sheer Summer Glow compact as targetted at the fair to medium skinned and no further. By way of reference, the most popular Burberry foundation shade of Trench 04 is too dark for me. I think I’m an 02. I can’t remember icon razz Sculpt and Highlight: The Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact is nice for fair skinned gals

In a nutshell

The Burberry Sheer Summer Glow compact is a limited edition offering from Burberry Beauty for Summer 2012. What it is is a bronzing and highlighting compact. The powder is very fine in texture and colour tends to be quite sheer. I find that the bronzing shades which are more matte can apply quite pigmented and the highlighting shades which have some shimmer are much sheerer. I usually blend the shades to tone down the browns on my skin. You can also use it as eyeshadow which makes the palette quite versatile. However, if you are medium tanned to dark skinned, I’d tell you to pass because it likely will not show up at all on your skintone. I think this is a nice beginner bronzing/highlight palette especially for those with lighter skin tones who may have a problem finding a bronzer that isn’t too dark or too orange for them.

Pros: Light sheer colours are good for those who have a light to medium skintone, Texture of powders are fine and sheer, A good beginner bronzer/highlight palette as the sheer colours aren’t as easy to make a mistake with, Colours can also be used for eyeshadow which makes this a good multi-tasking palette, Pretty packaging

Cons: Limited Edition, I can’t use it as a blush, Powdery scent, Best for those with fair to medium skintones

Who will like this: Those who are new to using bronzers or sculpting powders, Those who have a fair to medium skintone, Those who want a versatile sculpting and highlighting palette that can also double up as finishing powder and even eyeshadow

Oh I have to mention that there is a scent to this powder. It smells powdery and sometimes, just a hint of mustiness. Happily the smell doesn’t last, but unhappily, it does bother me a bit to open up the compact and catch a whiff.

burberry summer glow6 Sculpt and Highlight: The Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact is nice for fair skinned gals

Packaging wise, the Sheer Summer Glow powder, since it is limited edition, comes in a sand coloured velvet pouch instead of the regular dark brown pouch. I wouldn’t fault the packaging. The Burberry checks are there, and the heft is there and the lux factor is quite there. You can read more about this palette on Messy Wands (for chiselled cheekz!) and Bloomin’ Beauty Blog. Oh there’s no applicator but really, you’d want to use your own not one of those dinky things that come in palettes.

Does the Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting compact catch your fancy? I’m still sailing the uncharted murky waters of bronzer territory but this one does help me get over the fear of the “looking dirty” factor and is overall, a pretty decent product for both sculpting, shading and highlighting in one.

Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact Price: RM207 Availability: Burberry Beauty at Isetan KLCC Limited Edition: Yes, Summer 2012

Disclosure: Featured product was provided by PR for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

Tracy June 13, 2012 at 8:42 am

I love this one! It’ll be great for the winter for sure. I love all Burberry cosmetics. I haven’t found one thing I don’t like yet haha!
I think this looks lovely on you! You look so glowy!

June 17, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Aww thank you, Tracy! I was very pleasantly surprised by this one! I wasn’t too much into Burberry but after seeing Danielle’s eyeshadow swatches I think I’m going to have to take a second look at the brand!

dani June 13, 2012 at 8:51 am

It’s funny, coz every time I see the swatches, I’m all: “meh!” But when I see it on someone’s cheeks, I’m all: “WHOA!” This looks gorgeous on you, darling!
dani recently blogged…MAC Lip & Cheek Colours From The Casual Colour Collection – ReviewMy Profile

June 17, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Thank you Dani! I wasn’t expecting to like this one at all. I thought “darn! Another. Ringer I’d mess up!” but I didn’t and I’m pleased :)

Jennifer June 13, 2012 at 8:52 am

Looks au naturel on Paris, just like those earthy tone make up if the choice of word is correct :) Nice! The details on the bronzer are nice too, I like it when they put in so much details on the product which makes it more endearing to use each time. Interesting that Burberry is venturing into cosmetics products here in our shore. Looking forward to more items from them!

June 17, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Thanks, Jennifer! I have to admit the detailing on the product and packaging is quite exquisite. The brand has been here for about a year already, with their only counter still at Isetan KLCC. Right in your neighborhood eh? ;)

LeGeeque June 13, 2012 at 9:01 am

I saw this yesterday when I was in the city but I was a little distracted because SOMEONE got locked out of their home and was a little panicky and I was trying to sort out spare keys for her ;) Ahem ;) Ahem ;) Ahem ;)

But, that aside, it looks great on you. I think I might get one. :)

June 17, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I think you’ll like this one. Glowy yet slightly bronzing although if you are used to using a deeper shade of bronzer then this might seem a bit light. Still, try and see, and hopefully next time, there’s no emergency calls ;)

June 13, 2012 at 9:09 am

I haven’t tried any Burberry cosmetics yet and this looks lovely! What would you recommend for my first product to try?
PS: you look great here but I think you look even better with Dior Aurora on ;-)
Lily recently blogged…A Healthy Glow All Year Round with Diorskin Nude Tan Aurora 001My Profile

June 17, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Thanks Lily! I think burberry’s powder products are a safe bet – blushes and shadows. I had a bad experience with the lipstick so I’m more wary although the texture of their lipsticks is quite nice.

Joyce June 13, 2012 at 9:09 am

I’ve been thinking about grabbing this because it looks so gorgeous and the velvet pouch is so cute and different from the standard blue one. <3 Love Burberry cosmetics, especially their packaging. =)
Joyce recently blogged…Review + Swatches: By Terry Blush Terrybly Ultimate Radiance BlushMy Profile

June 17, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I have to agree with you. Burberry definitely did something right with their packaging! Have you decided if you’ll pick this up? Gotta hurry, it’s Burberry’s first LE item! ;)

Jacqueline June 13, 2012 at 9:11 am

I am crazy about Buberry so this is something I will definitely get. However it is very highly marked up in Singapore. I am SGD $90 compared to USD $50 what’s up with that? So I ordered mine online as usual.

June 17, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Wow! That’s even more expensive than it is here! Glad you managed to get it online. Gotta admit its quite a bit cheaper in USD too. But I don’t know where I’d even start to find these online, that’ll ship here :P

Applegal June 13, 2012 at 10:03 am

The difference between the 2 photos made me go: “O. M. G.!” Makes you look like a Glamazonian!”

June 17, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Haha im going to have to assume that a Glamazonian is a good thing? ;) thank you! The difference in real life is much more subtle which suits me quite fine :)

Sze Ling June 13, 2012 at 10:12 am

Ditto! I always apply some blush after bronzer. Makes me look healthier.

That powder design is pretty! I won’t be able to get myself to use it. :D
Sze Ling recently blogged…Four-Ingredient Peanut Butter Nutella CookiesMy Profile

June 17, 2012 at 11:28 pm

What I do when I see a pretty powder I can’t bear to use is literally force myself to swipe a brush across it. The first cut is the deepest. After that, it’s ‘used’ and easier to use properly lol!

Stacey
June 13, 2012 at 10:26 am

looks good on you paris! I have been contemplating whether to get the burberry or the chanel bronzer. still stuck in a dilemma. :P

June 17, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Thank you, Stacey! I didn’t pay attention to the Chanel one so I can’t help you there, sorry! I will say that this one’s pretty though ;)

sharon June 13, 2012 at 10:43 am

looks very nice on you and you look like you have a healthy glow going on which is always a good thing.. i would love to swatch this (there u go at being an enabler again lol) but dont think it would work for my medium skintone but if i have the moolah i may contemplate getting it as a form of collection ;)

June 17, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Thank you Sharon :) actually, you won’t know for sure if it will work for you till you give it a go ;) on very deep skintones, I’d say this is a miss. But on medium ones, it could give a nice glow without looking too white, as many highlighters tend to be ;)

ksuan June 13, 2012 at 10:50 am

Beautiful offering from Burberry yet again, these guys churn out so many winners :)

Also love the entire look! The eyes are delicately accented – and love love love that colour on your lips, what is it?
ksuan recently blogged…Review: Human Heart Nature Natural Strengthening Shampoo and 100% Natural Strengthening ConditionerMy Profile

June 17, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I must admit that this powder has got me wanting to check out Burberry beauty again. Can’t let one bad experience put me off! The lips is the Dior Lip Glow Coral Glow lipbalm in the summer collection :)

Ling
June 13, 2012 at 10:52 am

Hey that looks great on you. I am not a bronzer fan though…but that’s because I can’t master the sculpting and contouring techniques. GAH!

June 17, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Thanks Ling! I haven’t mastered it myself either. It’s so hard to ensure that I don’t look too dark or too dirty. I’ve learnt that often, I can’t even tell how it looks, if I use a light hand :P I do have some bronzer application tips coming up. That might help!

Jyoan June 13, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Yes, there is a difference on you! And it looks good. I skipped this one though, because I think it will just be too light.

June 17, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Thanks Jyoan, and I will agree. This isn’t a powder for all skintones, that’s for sure!

milktea June 13, 2012 at 2:37 pm

maybe it’s the packaging… but I much prefer this to the Dior Aurora N-U-D-E alphabet bronzer. That one made bronzing feel like work! This Burberry bronzer looks natural and lovely but would suit light skin tones best. It makes your cheek complexion look amazing in the second pix. Really makes a difference. :)

(hmm, I’m gushing over this product. Wonder if that means something…)

June 17, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Lol!! I think you answered your own question! ;) I must say that colours use, this one is easier to work with than the Dior Aurora which is stronger in terms of colour. But that one works for a blush too and this one doesn’t. Much depends on how one feels and what one wants to do with it ;)

xin
June 13, 2012 at 3:05 pm

love how it looks on u! talk about contour eh? ;)

can i say i like the cream pouch? :D
xin recently blogged…Adding a Touch of Gold: Dior Addict Lipstick – Casual GoldMy Profile

June 17, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Haha yes you can, and I tried to put the tips to use!

S. June 13, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I love the packaging of this, the colors.. It’s really beautiful!
I love its effect on you as well. x
S. recently blogged…My Dark MagicMy Profile

June 17, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Hi S, thank you! Do you get Burberry makeup where you are?

gio June 13, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I think it looks very pretty and glowy on you! And the packaging is just gorgeous!
gio recently blogged…New Collection: ArtDeco Dita Von Teese ClassicsMy Profile

June 17, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Thanks Gio! I must say, I have to agree with you about the packaging. One of the best yet!

Sunny
June 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm

This one looks nice and fresh on you! Alas it’s probably way too light for me to be a bronzer (maybe a highlighter though), but I agree that on fair girls it makes a subtle and beautiful difference!

June 17, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Knowing the difference in our skintones, I will have to agree with you. I think the Dior bronzers may work better on you ;)

Gin June 13, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Wow this looks good~~~~ but price is too out of my league haha.. Any cheaper first bronzed u’d recommend?
Also, just being curious.. If compare to guerlain magic pearls, how does this fare? On par? Better? Do u use both on one day or either one?

June 17, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Hmm… I’m no good with bronzer, Gin, so I can’t quite say what bronzer from the cheaper ranges will work. I have heard the Sephora one is quite good but I don’t know how it fares or ow much it costs. Cheaper than this one, that’s for sure ;) as for the comparison, this powder is totally different from the Guerlain Meteorites. If you could imagine that this is a blush and treat it that way, it might help to see the distinction :) the Guerlain is an all over finishing powder. This one has more colour and should be used more sparingly. I use this after I finish my base makeup – liquid foundation, concealer, meteorites, eye makeup, Burberry powder, blush, lipstick

JennySue Makeup
June 13, 2012 at 11:40 pm

this color scheme actually looks perfect for my fair to med skin tone, and i’ve actually never tried a burberry makeup product!! so this might be the one- love the packaging, that doesn’t hurt right:) glad i found your site- super duper informative!!

June 17, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Hi Jenny, this item is making me want to check out the rest of the Burberry range again too! I hear the shadows and blush are fab :) thanks for dropping by!

Sukie June 14, 2012 at 12:55 am

Such a pretty compact! I recently acquired a Shiseido Face Creator Blush thingamajig and the shades are pretty similar to the Summer Glow. I can never get the hang of this bronzer / contouring concept! A friend gifted me a Guerlain Terracotta compact and I’ve just been staring at its orange-bronzey colour and cannot seem to bring myself to try it out for the fear of having orange stripes on my cheeks!
Sukie recently blogged…Blog sale! :)My Profile

June 17, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Ooh! I remember the Shiseido thingybob! I hear it’s good stuff. Light on skin yet gives a subtle effect and glow. I can’t get the hang of it either but I’ve got some tips coming up soon on bronzer application that might help ;) lucky you to be gifted with a Terracotta. I wanted to own one but although the powders are quite sheer (so I’m told. It’s supposed to not look like anything in the pan) it still looks a bit too orange on my skintone so I’m going to pass on it… For now :)

Sarah Karenina June 14, 2012 at 5:37 am

So lovely ! The colour is perfect for pale skin (like mine) !
I think I will buy it at the end of the month…
We can use it as a blush, a powder and an eyeshadow… Kind of perfect product.

June 17, 2012 at 11:56 pm

You said it! I’m thinking of just carrying this one on holiday and use it for all over just because it’s so versatile! Hope you manage to get your hands on it, Sarah!

Sarah Karenina June 21, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I’ve bought it, and just tried it. It does wonders on very fair skintone. It’s hard to find a good bronzer for fair skintone in France (it’s always too orange).
Thank you Paris !

June 23, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Yay!! Very happy you like this one Sarah! I will have to agree with you that its quite perfect for those with light skintone because it’s just perfect for easing into bronzer :)

Sam
June 14, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Beautiful! I think I’ve found gold for this PPP :)

June 18, 2012 at 11:18 am

Hurrah! I think it will definitely work for a PPP!

Becca June 14, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I can definitely see it on your cheeks, Paris! It looks beautiful! I am so happy with this compact and truly believe it’s worth every penny and more! It gives just a hint of definition and warmth during the summer and for winter, I think it’ll work great to add some life and glow back into the skin.

I recently got into bronzers as well and have acquired this one and the Guerlain Terracotta Light as my first 2 high-end bronzers. I love what it does for the skin and am eyeing Chanel’s Sable Rose for my next one! Plus, that one has the pink tones so it will be a good blush/bronzer
Becca recently blogged…The Sample: Hourglass Visionaire Eye Shadow Duo in Dune ReviewMy Profile

June 18, 2012 at 11:23 am

Yay for loving this compact too! You mentioned that you use the Guerlain Terracotta light? I was looking at that but it still looked a bit strong/orange – do you find it applies that way? I’m told that the powder is really sheer so it will work but I’m still afraid of looking dirty :P

Becca
June 19, 2012 at 5:09 am

no, it doesn’t apply orange/strong in the slightest. Actually, I can layer it to my heart’s content and I have never (in my opinion) looked “overdone” at all yet! It’s sooo natural looking and looks amazing on my yellow undertoned skin! You must definitely give it a swatch at least!!!
Becca recently blogged…The Sample: Shiseido Luminizing Satin Face Color in BE206 Soft Beam Gold ReviewMy Profile

June 22, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I’m going to have to take a second look at the Terracotta powders then! Thanks for enabling ;)