Getting silly with Silly Lips Lipbalm : Tasty lipbalm in unique, eye-catching packaging!

in Lipbalm,Makeup,Product Reviews

silly lips lipbalm review

I am personally not much of a lipbalm fan. I don’t use any, in fact, which surprises some and shocks others. The only concession I have to lip balm is the Lucas Papaw Ointment I use at night as an overnight lip treatment. But I couldn’t help myself when I got hold of the Silly Lips lipbalm.

silly lips lipbalm2 Getting silly with Silly Lips Lipbalm : Tasty lipbalm in unique, eye catching packaging!

I loved the packaging. See how important packaging is? icon razz Getting silly with Silly Lips Lipbalm : Tasty lipbalm in unique, eye catching packaging! I must say that I was taken in first by the concept and then by the cheeky packaging. Silly Lips lipbalm hails from Florida, USA and each of the 3 available flavours are named after the founder’s friends – Tracy, Katie and Bekah. Each lipbalm has a different flavour and a different “personality” to it. That’s a lot of thought put into a simple lip balm!

However, I was also interested to see how they fare especially in hot tropical weather, whether the scents are too strong and just generally, how did I like it.

There are 3 flavours available in the Silly Lips range for now. I will have to tell you that these aren’t your run of the mill RM6 lipbalm you pick up at the pharmacy and call it a day (Actually, I have no idea how much a run of the mill lip balm costs. Is it RM6? icon razz Getting silly with Silly Lips Lipbalm : Tasty lipbalm in unique, eye catching packaging! ). Let’s just say that these are a little pricier than normal at US$12.50 (RM40) each.

silly lips lipbalm Getting silly with Silly Lips Lipbalm : Tasty lipbalm in unique, eye catching packaging!

Each of the 3 flavours come with its own distinctive packaging and colour:-

• Kinky Katie (pink) – Vanilla Mint flavour. “kinky katie is the ultimate temptress…she’s quirky, outspoken and plays by her own rules. Her stunning looks and captivating charm is an irresistible combination. Be prepared to surprise yourself with kinky katie.”
  • Bangin Bekah (red) – Sugared Strawberry flavour. “bangin bekah is always having fun…her beauty and radiant energy always draws a crowd wherever she goes. Dancing is her middle name and music is her life. Get ready to rock the night away with bangin bekah!”
  • Tasty Tracy (yellow) – Peach Coconut flavour. “tasty tracy is a true exotic beauty. Her love of the beach matches her sunny disposition and free spirit. She may be laid back but she’s full of life. Make sure you are ready for some fun in the sun with tasty tracy…”

The metal slide out tin cases are retro in feel as well as the illustrations on the box and on the cover. The top of the tin has a well constructed layer of clear resin over it so it does have a solid feel to it. The scent when you slide out the tin is quite strong. Thankfully, it does smell quite natural, reflecting the flavours stated on the box, so it isn’t all that bad.

You will have to use your fingers to apply the balm so I was quite thankful that they aren’t heavily tinted. I don’t mind applying balms with my fingers. In fact, it is just barely tinted when applied on lips.  Texture wise, the balm is well, balmy and you don’t have to scoop out a chunk of it for it to be effective. I found that I only had to rub at the surface and then apply on my lips. It was emollient enough.

Taste was my primary concern. Silly Lips say that their lip balms aren’t sweetened and while scent is quite strong, it doesn’t taste quite as strong as it smells.

• Kinky Katie (Vanilla Mint) – I feel a very very slight cooling sensation thanks to the mint and there is quite a strong vanilla scent primarily.
  • Bangin Bekah (Sugared Strawberry) – The strawberry flavour is quite light but quite unmistakable. There is no sweet flavour though.
  • Tasty Tracy (Peach Coconut) – I thought this was the most interesting and brings to mind a tropical holiday. There is a rather stronger coconut taste but there is an underlying tart peach flavour to balance it so it wasn’t too overwhelming. I’m not a fan of coconut flavours at best, but this was interesting enough that I didn’t mind it.

Here is the ingredient list. Silly Lips are formulated with shea butter and beeswax, and I will attest to its moisturizing properties. My lips do feel nice and moisturized without a waxy or oily feel. There is a slight shine but not the sort of shine you get with lipgloss, so it looks quite natural.

silly lips lipbalm4 Getting silly with Silly Lips Lipbalm : Tasty lipbalm in unique, eye catching packaging!

In terms of performance, considering I’m not much of a lip balm afficionado, I will say its pretty good. With it, my lips feel soft and smooth. It is not so oily that you can’t use it under lip gloss or lipstick if you prefer, and the effects seem long lasting. Some lip balms dry my lips out over a prolonged period. This one seemed to work well enough in the past month that I’ve been trying it out.

In this horribly hot weather we’re having here though, I will have a small caution about carrying it around because it is more prone to melt if you are out in the heat a lot. Indoors, its fine but outdoors, even I will melt!

In a nutshell

Silly Lips lipbalms come in 3 flavours for now with 3 distinctive personalities to match. There is little to no tint on the lips but it does have a slight shine. I find that it does keep my lips moisturized and lasts quite long without feeling waxy or sticky. The scent is stronger than the taste which suits me fine. I prefer my lip products not to taste too strong. These aren’t the cheapest lipbalms out there but they are quirky, do a fairly good job and make excellent gifts!

Pros: Adorable packaging that feels quite sturdy, Sliding mechanism is quite smooth, Light flavour, Keeps lips feeling moisturized and soft

Cons: Only available online, A little pricey for a lipbalm

Who will like this: Anyone who likes a fun quirky lipbalm and packaging, Anyone who is a fan of lipbalm

I thought I should mention that the pan of the lipbalm can be slid out and detached from the cover, so once you start hitting pan on one end, you can swap it around and start at the other end. It will last quite a while, I anticipate and what I like most is casually pulling it out in company. Among girls, they’ll squeal with delight and among guys, they will be trying very hard not to stare at the interesting packaging. Either way, its a great conversation starter icon wink Getting silly with Silly Lips Lipbalm : Tasty lipbalm in unique, eye catching packaging!

silly lips lipbalm3 Getting silly with Silly Lips Lipbalm : Tasty lipbalm in unique, eye catching packaging!

Oh and once you are finished, I reckon you could melt your own lipbalm into the case. Its too adorable to toss! I ordered a couple for use as gifts (shipping was pretty quick!) and I think the girls I gave them to liked it too. If not for the formula, for the packaging icon wink Getting silly with Silly Lips Lipbalm : Tasty lipbalm in unique, eye catching packaging!

So which are you then? A Kinky Katie, Bangin Bekah or Tasty Tracy? icon wink Getting silly with Silly Lips Lipbalm : Tasty lipbalm in unique, eye catching packaging! Is the Silly Lips lipbalm something that appeals to you?

Silly Lips lipbalm Price: US$12.50/11g (RM40 at today’s exchange) Availability: Online at Silly Lips website International Shipping: Yes at US$10 flat rate for a sizeable number of boxes

Disclosure: Featured product was provided by PR for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

LeGeeque June 20, 2012 at 8:39 am

Awww…those are adorable :) I’m not a fan of using my fingers to apply the balm >< A little of a germaphobe

June 22, 2012 at 10:48 pm

It would appear you aren’t alone ;) I’m fine with it though. I used to use the lipbalms from TBS that came in a pot all through uni!

MisSmall June 20, 2012 at 8:41 am

I’m a big sucker for packaging, so sold at first sight! Not a big fan of the taste (happens to be all the flavours I hate in lip products), but the retro packaging is just so pretty to look at. 3 please!

June 22, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Erm you won’t get much use out of them if you don’t like the flavours, will you? ;) the packaging is super cute though. May make up for it ;)

Sukie June 20, 2012 at 8:45 am

As wrong as this may sound, I’m a kinky Katie kinda girl. Lol! I like the packaging but the illustrations on the tin reminds me of brands like Benefit / The Balm.

June 22, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Not as wrong as Bangin Bekah! :P yes, now you mention it, I see the similarity

Arpita June 20, 2012 at 8:51 am

looks so retro and lust worthy….
but kind of pricey for a lip balm :P

June 22, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Agree with you on price. But I guess it’s one of those things that you buy into for the fun factor ;)

Charlotte June 20, 2012 at 9:37 am

OMG! I love the packaging! <3

June 22, 2012 at 11:04 pm

That’s what grabbed me too :D

Nikki June 20, 2012 at 10:13 am

Those are super cute!!! I don’t know why but I’m loving those lip balm that needs you to dip your fingers , they’re unhygienic but I find myself attracted to them :D

June 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Lol! I’m fine with dipping my finger into lipbalm too. I figure it’s about as hygienic as applying the tube straight on lips right? Well, provided you don’t stick dirty fingers in there hehe

Monstro June 20, 2012 at 10:57 am

Really nice packaging, super fun and caught my eye. But these tins never finish do they? I keep thinking of how many years my fingers go into these balms! LOL

June 22, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Nope, they never do lol! I did go through tubs of TBS lipbalms in a pot in uni though so I guess with regular use, they do finish :)

Lumi June 20, 2012 at 11:14 am

Oohhhh I like the fun packaging~! The retro, cheeky style reminds me of theBalm products~

I don’t like lip balms that need to be applied with fingers when I’m running errands and going places.
I rather use them at home before bedtime or when I can wash my hands right after.
But these are so cute.

$12.50 is a bit pricey, but the whole tin is *filled* with the lip balm right?

June 22, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Yep, it’s all filled. 11g of it if memory serves me right :) I never apply lipbalm outside unless I’m in a cold country. Then, I sort of like lipbalms that I use my fingers to apply because the residue serves to calm dry chapped skin on hands too ;)

Jyoan June 20, 2012 at 11:16 am

I like tin cases, but for some reason, I am not fond of lip balms in tin cases. I find it so unhygienic. But it’s a really nice packaging, haha, and you’re right, that will get guys staring.

June 22, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Guess its all our personal preferences ;) I dislike lipbalm in tins that I have to twist off. They always get stuck at some point :P

pigellen June 20, 2012 at 11:17 am

love the packaging!!

June 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Eye catching right? ;)

Mira
June 20, 2012 at 11:55 am

OMG! I love the packaging~~~~ ^^ I like the Kinky Katie since I’m a big fan of vanilla. I have a Vanilla Lipbalm from The Body Shop. The price however is a bit pricey, but I wouldn’t mind since the packaging is sooooo nice and eye-catching.

Stacey
June 20, 2012 at 12:02 pm

perhaps i am the only one but i’m not a fan of the retro packaging. i like the stila girls better. :)
Stacey recently blogged…Free international shipping for IllamasquaMy Profile

germs June 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm

i really like the quirky retro packaging, plus katie+bekah both sound so delicious! but the idea of having to dip my fingers in for a touch up (especially when out of home and my hands are dirty) isn’t too appealing :( i love reading about lesser known, quirky brands though, these remind me of another brand i read about which makes lip balms in a ‘unicorn farts’ flavour!
germs recently blogged…A Twist on the 7 Deadly Sins of BeautyMy Profile

June 22, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Unicorn farts! Now how will we know what that tastes like?! 0_0 I have a soft spot for quirky indie brands too. It’s nice to support the small businesses :)

S. June 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I love this kind of packaging!
S. recently blogged…So Beautiful.My Profile

June 22, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Me too! I think it’s the retro feeling :)

Kris Ong
June 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Hi Paris, I just chanced upon your blog and I love it! Its very informative with all the nice photos! I’m a Fan! xoxo Kris from Spore

June 22, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Hi Kris, thank you for visiting and leaving a comment.means a lot to me :) see you around!

Sunny
June 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Haha this is so cute! I just don’t use lip balm all that often either, and I am very paranoid about containers in which I have to dip my finger… So maaaybe it’s not for me ;)
Sunny recently blogged…Don’t Forget: Dior Summer Mix & Addict Hit the Shop Today!My Profile

June 22, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I guess I’m the only unhygienic one here lol! Or rather the one least fussed. I always figured that with lipbalm, because it’s beeswax and Shea butter in this case, contamination is minimal as opposed to a more liquid medium :)

Sze Ling June 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Cute packaging! :D
But I have something against lip balms in pot/tin form. Don’t like sticking my fingers into it every time I want to apply. Much prefer a lip balm in tube form.

And I’m terrible with applying lip balms. I have them in my bag and beside my bed, but I keep forgetting to apply them. :P
Sze Ling recently blogged…Dorset Cereals (I’m Glad I Found You)My Profile

June 22, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I don’t even carry a lipbalm! Only had this in my bag for some random reason recently but still like you, I rarely use it on the go. I prefer using a Moisturising lipstick :)

xin
June 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm

i love the tin casing! just a thought – imagine one day i manufacture lip balm and i print your pic on my lip balm. LOL
xin recently blogged…Colorful Wednesday: Paddlepop Nail Art TutorialMy Profile

June 22, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Eh a glam pic can la. Call it Passionate Paris or something :D

anis June 20, 2012 at 4:39 pm

hi PB long time no see!!! i’ve been silent for a while, but still reading!

hmmm figure i am bangin bekah heheh but i am interested in kinky katie! like sze ling i am also terrible at putting on lipbalm, but am currently loving korres lipbutters i got for a steal at strawberrynet :) so for the time being, yes, i am a diligent girl hihi

June 22, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Hi Anis! How have you been? :) I peg myself more for a Bangin Bekah. I like red hair and the colour is pretty heh… Glad you’ve found a lipbalm that you’re more diligent with. I still don’t except at night or unless my lips feel exceptionally dry but I otherwise just use a Moisturising lipstick :D

Sam
June 20, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I think that’s really cute, but I’d prefer a tube! I would be them all – like the flavour for Tracy, but the colours of the other two.
Sam recently blogged…The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott FitzgeraldMy Profile

June 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm

The flavour in Tracy is surprisingly quite nice. I’m not into coconut scents but the peach helps temper it. But I do prefer the pink and red shades too

gio June 20, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I’m not really a fan of applying products with my fingers but the quirky retro packaging is so beautiful!

June 22, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I think I’m the only one who doesn’t care too much about the packaging lol!!

Jennifer June 20, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Tasty Tracy is calling my name! Peach Coconut sounds so yummy! I like the vintage picture design and tin case, only thing is having to use fingers to apply the lipbalm – hmm, this one, I don’t quite fancy. But for Peach Coconut, I think it’s not a biggie lol!

June 22, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Sure thing, Tracy! ;) I noticed most people aren’t into the packaging. I think I’m the only one not fussed lol!

Ching June 20, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I am such a sucker when it comes to packaging! Lip balms are not in my beauty routine yet I bought the Cranberry from body shop BECAUSE of the gorgeous tin it came in! Was told it was last Christmas’ special edition! Thank goodness it was 50% off – so it was like, what the heck!

As for Silly Lips, am loving the color in bangin bekah but packaging wise, kinky katie rocks!

June 22, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Are you liking the TBS balm? I used to use their lipbalms way back in uni lol!

yee June 21, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Hey Paris…have you tried Vintage Sister’s lipbalms? They have tons of flavors and they come in a slide out tin too! It’s much cheaper and they usually have flavors during the holiday season, Halloween, etc…shipping is very affordable as well :)

June 23, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Hi Yee, no I haven’t come across them, but they are really cute too!

Sue Lin
June 28, 2012 at 12:25 am

I think I’m a kinky kate but I love the tanned babe Tracy… These balms look delish. I love Hawaiian-pin up girls on lip balms. Sucker for them…just like the brand-The Balm.
Sue Lin recently blogged…MAC Carbon Eyeshadow ReviewMy Profile

July 2, 2012 at 11:35 am

I know! These pin ups are so cute and refreshing, instead of just boring plain lipbalm sticks right? ;)