in FOTD,Lipbalm,Lipstick,Makeup,Product Reviews

dior crystal coral lipbalm voluptuous lipcare review

Lipbalm and I aren’t quite the best of friends. We aren’t arch enemies, but we only have a nodding acquaintance. If I see Lipbalm across the room, I’d nod at them to acknowledge that yes, I know you’re here, and they’d nod back to say yes, we are and some day, you’re going to regret not wanting us. HAHA!

dior crystal coral2 A Lip Balm, Lip Care or Lipstick? The Dior Addict Crystal Coral is pretty much all three

So, when the Dior Crystal Coral Voluptous LipCare Lipbalm sashayed into the room, I did the same. Give it a cursory glance and then promptly forgot about it. However, one day, I was in a bit of a hurry, and left the house without apply anything to my lips. Do you realize how odd someone looks when there’s makeup on, but no lipstick? Trust me, its odd.

To my surprise, the one and only item in my bag was this Crystal Coral. I usually have a whole pouch of lip colours and on this day, there was nothing bar a tinted lip balm. Meh… I thought. But I used it anyway and lo and behold! Did the skies open for me? Did I throw my hands up and say Hallelujah for Lipbalm!

Well, no. You see, if I consider the Dior Voluptuous LipCare a lipbalm as they proudly emblazon on the case, I’d be quite disappointed.

dior crystal coral4 A Lip Balm, Lip Care or Lipstick? The Dior Addict Crystal Coral is pretty much all three

Personally, whilst I found the texture of this product balmy, my lips still felt a little dry. If I have dry lips and apply this, it doesn’t do much to help the dryness. So for me, as a lipbalm, I felt that it performed somewhat sub-par.

However, what this is is also a very pretty product on its own. The coral tint is very very light but despite that, it gives a lovely glow to the lips once you slick it on. If you look in the mirror up close, its hard to actually notice anything. But when you pull back and look at yourself overall, it gives your lips a nice glowy tint that pulls your makeup together. Its quite surprising, because to be quite honest, I was staring at myself up close most of the time going “But there’s no difference!!” and then I stepped back in frustration and then “Whoa! That sort of works!”

If you see the swatches on the back of my hand you’ll know what I mean.

dior crystal coral3 A Lip Balm, Lip Care or Lipstick? The Dior Addict Crystal Coral is pretty much all three

Dior Crystal Coral 003 Left: 1 swipe Right: 5 swipes

You can see that there’s just the barest hint of a coral tint and even when I layer it about 5 times, it still sports a sheer tint. On lips though, it sort of feeds off the natural tint of your lips, so I reckon this is a product that will look quite different on different people, depending on the tint of your lips.

For me, here’s how it looks on my lips. Because its so light, I did a before/after to give an idea of how it looks.

dior crystal coral A Lip Balm, Lip Care or Lipstick? The Dior Addict Crystal Coral is pretty much all three

See how it it draws on the red tint of my natural lip colour to look slightly coral pink? On the back of my hand, because there’s no tint there, it doesn’t look like much.

So if I were to do a mind shift and consider this a moisturizing sheer lip colour, I am less disappointed than if I were to consider this a tinted lipbalm.

In a nutshell

The Dior Addict LipBalm Voluptuous LipCare in 003 Crystal Coral is a tinted lipbalm that smooths and moisturizes lips and adds a tint of colour. As a lipbalm, I personally do not find it very moisturizing. If I have dry lips or flaky lips, it does not seem to help. By contrast, when I use the Dior Serum de Rouge lipsticks, I notice a marked increase in the level of comfort of dry flaky lips. As a sheer lipstick that moisturizes the lips and keeps it from drying out further, while adding a tint of colour and a glow, I find it performs remarkably well. I do not consider this one a must have.

Pros: Gives a lovely glow to the lips, Nice light tint of colour, Keeps lips from drying out further, No oily feel

Cons: Pricey, Does not do much for dry or flaky lips

Who will like this: Anyone who likes a very sheer tint of colour and moisturizing properties in a lipstick

I personally use this as I would a lipstick. One more thing is that when I use this as a lip balm and then layer on lipstick, the lipstick seems to adhere better. With normal lipbalms, I find the colours sheer out or it slips but with this, because there’s no oily feel, it sits nicely.

dior crystal coral5 A Lip Balm, Lip Care or Lipstick? The Dior Addict Crystal Coral is pretty much all three

So here’s how I usually wear it. As I prefer using it as a lip colour as opposed to a lipbalm, I make sure it blends in with my look. It has a slight warm peachy tint so I wear it with slightly warmer shades. For some reason, since its been so darned hot here, I find I appreciate this more. Its less heavy than a gloss and lighter in colour and texture than a lipstick.

Still, do you need this? My answer is no. You could easily get tinted lipbalms anywhere for a smaller price tag. But if you look at this as a lipstick, then the pain is easier to bear icon wink A Lip Balm, Lip Care or Lipstick? The Dior Addict Crystal Coral is pretty much all three I may have made friends with one lip balm at least icon razz A Lip Balm, Lip Care or Lipstick? The Dior Addict Crystal Coral is pretty much all three

Did you pick up the Dior Crystal Coral lipbalm? I believe they had previous incarnations of this, also limited edition. Did you try those? Personally, I’m going to try the famed Dior Lip Maximizer next. Its super popular, and I need to know why! icon biggrin A Lip Balm, Lip Care or Lipstick? The Dior Addict Crystal Coral is pretty much all three

Dior Addict Lipbalm Voluptuous Lipcare 003 Crystal Coral Price: RM88 Availability: Dior counters Limited Edition: Yes, part of the Dior Croisette 2012 Summer collection

Jyoan June 29, 2012 at 3:47 pm

It’s actually a good product. I almost bought this one, but rationalized with myself that I have many equally good yet cheaper tinted lip balms at home. haha.

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Yup! There are lots of cheaper ones. That said though, I also quite like the Fresh tinted lipbalms and they’re costly too! I suppose for someone like me who isn’t into lipbalm but who is more comfortable wearing lipstick (yeah, weird right?!) this is a good hybrid to have :)

Leesa June 29, 2012 at 3:51 pm

am currently addicted to the elizabeth arden ceramide ultra lip stick in coral, layered on top of a lip pencil and jack black’s lip balm- so far it gives me a long-lasting colour without no dry lips… will look into the dior’s lip balm/tint- looks like a time saver!

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Hmm I never paid attention to Elizabeth Arden before! It sounds like a lot of work though so yeah, maybe this lipbalm/lipstick will be a much quicker option ;)

Amanda June 29, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Saw this one but when I swatched it, I wasn’t convinced. My favourite is still YSL Volupte Sheer Candy Lipstick – it’s everything – lip care, lip balm, lipstick ;)

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Wish we still had YSL cosmetics here :( I have one (or two) of the Rouge Volupte and I love it! I’ve been wanting to try the new liquid lipstick too but no luck finding it so far. Tried it yet?

Liz June 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm

When I saw the title, I thought “Nooooooo. I have to get this one too!” but the swatches put an end to that idea. The coral color isn’t convincing enough and the voluptuous word kind of threw me off since I’m not a fan of the pouty look.

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Haha! yeah its not one for everyone but it does serve its purpose for me maybe because I do like that bit of pout and because I don’t do lipbalm :D

Becca June 29, 2012 at 7:20 pm

So pretty! Yes, it definitely finishes the look nicely while still maintaining its subtlety. Look gorgeous! I was lusting after this so bad when it first came out, then decided I didn’t want to pay that much for a lip balm…now I’m kinda wanting it again. Damn it!

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 4:20 pm

LOL!! If its any consolation, its probably out of stock by now so there! Problem solved! ;) Have you tried the Fresh lipbalms? I quite like them too – not the cheapest around for me, but they’re quite nice.

Becca July 3, 2012 at 4:45 am

I love the Fresh ones too–I have Rose, Honey, and Coral. Honey is BY FAR my fave–it’s the perfectly pinky-nude

Helz Nguyen June 29, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I been checking these out a couple times, whenever I passed them. And have to say, for the price..erhh, too pricey for a lip balm that probably doesnt moisturize well :) although the packaging definitely beats the other ones!

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Nope, I don’t think it does a good job as a lip balm, but as a moisturizing lipstick, it does a fair job. I think anyone looking for lipbalm would do better maybe going for a proper dedicated lipbalm brand :D

Jan S June 29, 2012 at 8:56 pm

very pretty! but for that price I would prefer to get a moisturising lipstick :)

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Exactly! I actually think the Dior Serum de Rouge does a better job at moisturizing but then that’s very highly priced :P

Alene June 30, 2012 at 1:19 am

u look gorgeous n glowing!!

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Thanks :D Its a very no fuss colour

Liyeun June 30, 2012 at 8:06 am

Hi, I do face the same prob like u in terms of the relationship btwn our dry lips and lip balms. When i purchased dior’s lip maximizer few months ago, the SA pestered my to get this balm, too. I was persistent not to get it as there were not much raves on it. The lip maximizer, however, works wonderfully on me. Not only it slightly plumps my lips, it smoothens dry, flaky lips! I hope you will try it soon and like it as much as i do… ^_^

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Hi Liyeun, now I’m really keen to try the Maximizer! :D I hope I’ll like it (because if I don’t, it’ll be an expensive experiment! LOL!)

Shija June 30, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Looks like my Palladio lip balm is still the best…

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Hmm not familiar with that one, but am glad to know that you do have a lipbalm that works well for you :D

Sam June 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Hmm, I am very tempted! Especially as my Body Shop lip butters are completely solid with the cold! It is very pretty, but I think I’ll wait for another time.

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Honestly, I think any of the Dior Addict lipsticks would do just as well :P Go for the lighter Addict Iconic not Addict Extreme and it’ll give pretty much the same balmy texture with a hint of colour ;)

Swati June 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm

this one looks nice but I definitely still wanna try out the black tie…can’t get it out of ma mind :D

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Black Tie is gorgeous! I hope you get to try it soon :D

Mira June 30, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I personally love Dior’s lips products. They are very moisturizing. I’ve tried Clinique, Kose’, Shiseido and Chanel lips products before, but all made my lips dry. To me, only Dior is a keeper. Put some Dior Lip Maximizer first, then any Dior lipstick or lipbalm. ^^

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I fully agree with you there, Mira. Dior lip products are excellent stuff! I take it that you’re a fan of the Lip Maximizer then? I’m going to have to give it a go!

Jesz July 1, 2012 at 12:46 am

I still prefer my Laneige lip tint in red which comes with spf17. Enough moisturizing for my lip with sheer lip colour during off days when I do not feel like putting on lipstick/lip gloss.

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm

That sounds like a good one too! I found some Laneige lipsticks a bit dry which is why I never really paid attention to the brand again. Is the lip tint part of the permanent range?

Jesz July 2, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I’m not too sure, maybe it’s best to check with the counter…it has just launch in Malaysia last month.

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Thanks will take a look :)

Issa July 2, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I love the sheer color that it gives on your lips! pretty! :)

Paris B July 2, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Thanks Issa! I liked how delicate it was too! Still, its pricey for a lipbalm :D

Stacey July 3, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Hehe I rush out of my house for work everyday without any lip colour. :P It is only when I reached the lift / my car then I swipe on my lipstick. I can survive looking like an oddball for a few mins :P hehe