Simply Perfection: The Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush makes applying foundation a dream

in Brushes etc.,Makeup,Product Reviews

shiseido perfect foundation brush review

I have been wanting to rave about the Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush for the longest time. Its one of those things that I sit down to tell you about and then, I get distracted by one thing or another. But no longer. Today will be the day! Today, you will hear about the brush that made me change my mind about foundation brushes!

I used to be a powder compact foundation girl mainly because I hated the feel of liquid foundation. Thick, cakey, yuck! And then the brands started coming out with lighter textures and suddenly I realised that I could use liquid foundation and that in many ways, it looks much more natural on skin than compact foundation. Liquid sort of moves with your skin, while powder tends to sit on your skin, if you know what I mean.

shiseido perfect foundation brush

I however ran into one problem using liquid foundation – application. When I started out, everyone said to use a brush. So, ok. I went and got a foundation brush – your typical flat paddle type. Sorry, hated it and realised it ate up too much product. So, I tried a sponge. Its not called a sponge without reason – it soaks up liquid like water. So I went back to the makeup tools we are all born with – fingers, and I actually shared a great tip for using your hands to apply liquid foundation.

I’ve been using my fingers all this while, never mind the brief flirtation with skunk brushes and that stipple method everyone raves about for creating an air brushed look. I found it too much trouble. So when I came across the Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush, my spidey senses were tingling. Perfect? Seriously? That’s a tall order. But yes, its perfect and I have no need for another nor do I even intend to look at another. In fact, I have 2! That’s how perfect it is.

This little dinky wonder is small. It actually surprises me everytime when I pick it up, because its really small. And that small head can make you wonder just how long you’d need to put your foundation on, and just how practical it is. Well, you know what they say right? Size isn’t everything, its what you do with it that matters 😉

close up of brush head

The brush head is a round head of very densely packed synthetic hair. It is so dense, it is almost solid in feel. Yet, it is soft. So soft against your skin. The brush is cut at a gradient which allows it to fit to the curve of your skin and face so the whole surface of the brush actually fits on your skin and moves with it. Its crazy, but its one of those things you have to see to know what I’m talking about.

The small head isn’t a bad thing either. It allows you to get right into all the nooks and crannies of your face – that bit around the nose, the bit between your nose and lips, the bit between your brows. Its great for that.

It is, I believe the way the brush head is made that makes the application such a dream. When you dab it into your liquid foundation, you will notice that the foundation is spread out on the whole flat surface, on the tips. You then, lightly dab it on your skin in a stippling/bouncing motion. Don’t sweep it about your face, but work in sections, dabbing as you go and you’d be surprised at how quickly you’re done.

how to use the shiseido foundation brush

I know what you’re thinking. So what makes this brush so great or perfect then? I can do that with my skunk brush or sponge or beautyblender thing as well. Well, its the finish. The denseness of the brush head allows the foundation to be deposited in a very uniform manner on your skin, so there is really, no need to buff at all to even it out. It applies as a thin even layer on your skin and evens itself out as you go along, so by the time you are done dabbing it all over, you are done with your foundation application and it looks perfect.

If you like, you can even go over the areas that need more coverage, or on the under eye, and that’s it. No need for concealer unless you intend to conceal every flaw. I hesitate to use the word “air-brushed” but you really look like you just took photoshop to your face. In real life. No streaks, no uneven application, just a perfect canvas.

I thought I’d show you just how effective this little wonder of a brush is in comparison to a couple of skunk brushes or duo fibre or stippling brushes that most people use for that “air-brushed” finish.

application compared to other foundation brushes

(1) Shiseido Perfect Foundation brush (2) Real Techniques Stippling brush (3) Duo Fibre (skunk) brush

You might want to peer in a little closer 😛

For purposes of this experiment, I used them all the same way. I dabbed the brush into the foundation (the splotch you see above (1)) and then dabbed it on my skin in a stippling method. You will notice that:-

1. Shiseido Perfect Foundation brush – The foundation applied looks even with just 1 pass
  2. Real Techniques Stippling brush – The foundation goes on a little patchy and you will have to buff it to even it out
  3. Duo Fibre (Skunk) brush – The foundation is very patchy just dabbing on the skin and you will have to buff it to smoothen and even it out

foundation brushes

This is to show you how the foundation looks when you dab the brush into it. The foundation on the Shiseido (1) and Real Techniques (2) brushes look more evenly distributed. On the duo fibre brush (3) it is only concentrated in the middle bit so when it is applied against the skin, the foundation will be heavier in the middle and lighter on the sides.

I use the Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush with a myriad of liquid foundations and it does help bring out the best in the foundation. When I started, I found myself using more foundation but over time, I realised that I did not need more than the usual 1 or half pump. The brush picks up the foundation and seems to hold it like a reservoir so I can just dab it once into the foundation, and cover a wide area without having to re-dip. I’ve actually read reviews that say not to use this brush for your whole face because its too small and you’ll take too long.

Well, I use it for my whole face and its great. Yes, it does take a little longer than if I were to use fingers, but not much longer otherwise, because I don’t have to spend time buffing the foundation into my skin. It applies perfectly every single time and I’m so impressed, I got another. I have to, because I can’t do without it, and washing is a beeyotch 😛

Yes, a major downer is the cleaning. Because it is so dense, the brush is hard to get thoroughly clean. So here’s a tip. Use the Daiso detergent. It does a great job getting the brush clean in super quick time and because the bristles are synthetic, no harm comes to your brush. Plus, its cheap!

It can also be used with powder foundation and I find that it works too for a nice smooth, even finish, but it takes longer because the brush can’t hold the powder foundation the way it does liquid. So I’d use this to touch up powder foundation but not to apply unless I have a lot of time.

In a nutshell

The Shiseido Perfect Foundation brush is just perfect, especially for applying liquid foundation. It gives a very even and smooth finish with just one pass. Lightly dab it on your skin and it deposits just the right amount of foundation so you get a very even flawless result without it looking streaky or cakey. You don’t even need to buff it after that. It just goes on quite perfect. I have 2. I think that says it all

Pros: Gives perfect application of liquid foundation without it looking cakey or streaky, Easy to use, No learning curve

Cons: None (unless you count the cleaning but there’s Daiso detergent for that)

Who will like this: Anyone who uses liquid foundation and have problems applying it without it going on too thick or streaky

If you are in Japan, Shiseido has a similar brush to this one called the Shiseido 131 foundation brush. Its sold at the Japanese drugstores and not available outside Japan and is, perhaps a little cheaper than the one sold at counters. I was very lucky to be gifted with one and I can report that it is quite similar… but not.

shiseido perfect foundation brush and shiseido 131 foundation brush

In all appearances, its almost identical. The difference in packaging is that the Shiseido counter one has a more opaque acrylic handle with the signature purple metal ferrule and the Shiseido brand printed on it. The Shiseido 131 brush has a more translucent dark blue handle with a dark blue ferrule and the Shiseido name is embossed on the handle.

Brush wise, there is very marginal difference. I felt that the 131 brush was a bit less dense and while doing a great job, did not deposit foundation as cleanly as the counter one did. Might that be to do with this specific one? I don’t know. Its a great brush though and if you can get it, why not! I don’t know how much it costs in Japan since its a gift but its available online at adambeauty.com at US$26.50 + $2 and for the quite marginal price difference and instant gratification I’d just get the Shiseido one (RM95) from the counter which I did.

Yes, the Shiseido Foundation Brush is RM95. Don’t complain. Its not expensive when compared with other brands and other brushes and for the perfection it delivers, its worth paying and with proper care, will last you forever. Your products are only as good as your tools after all 😉

Have you used or owned the Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush? Are you in love with it the way I am? I swear its revolutionized the way I apply liquid foundation and I never cease to be amazed at just how even the foundation goes on my skin. I don’t know what the people at Shiseido did but they did in fact create the perfect foundation brush and I salute them for that! I’m not the only one raving – even the Pink Sith is, and she’s not easy to please! 😉

Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush Price: RM95 Availability: All Shiseido counters

Disclosure: The first Shiseido brush I had was a PR sample. I purchased my 2nd and the 131 brush is a gift.

JackieA May 16, 2012 at 8:37 am

Oh PB! I love this one and my search for a foundation brush ended (for the time being…..you know what I mean!!) when I found this little fella! Love it and the application is smooth too! It took some time to get used to the size but that was it. Love it!

May 16, 2012 at 7:19 pm

YAY!! A fan! 😀 Like you Jackie, my search is over. I’m not straying from this small wonder at all! Well, except to use my hands if I’m really in a hurry :)

dom
May 16, 2012 at 8:49 am

i have this brush and yes! i love it oh so very much. great review :)

May 16, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Dom! You picked it up?! I remember Connie telling me that you both went to check it out but I didn’t know you got it – glad you like it too 😀

Honey May 16, 2012 at 9:49 am

I like how you analyse and compare things. Great job with the 3 applications on your hand. What do we do without you? As with most of us here, I’ve got stippling brush, buffing brush, kabuki head, beauty blender etc etc. just to try and get the ‘perfect’ canvas. I’ve been lazy lately and for the past week I’ve gone on wet sponge application. Quick and eazy. Yah, I was that lazy. This has perked me up a bit and I might put this on my wish list.

May 16, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Haha Thanks Honey 😀 There are lots of very details blogs out there so I’m sure if I decide to retire some day, you’ll all be in good hands 😀 I tried all the brushes but never quite got the coverage and effect I wanted. I also tried the damp sponge method but I found it a bother because I have to make a special trip to the bathroom to do my foundation. Gotta admit its a neat trick though.

Germs May 16, 2012 at 10:20 am

This was my first ever foundation brush and i think it’ll be the only one I’ll ever own! I love how it’s small and allows me to precisely reach the harder-to-reach areas such as the sides of my nose :) was quite clueless at first as to how to use it until i found this video. http://youtu.be/vxy2i2cp27Y i do find it harder to clean though, and takes quite some time to dry. Still a great brush nonetheless!

May 16, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Its awesome how you hit the bullseye with your first try Germs 😀 So glad that you too are a fan of this brush. I like how the brush just covers up all the right bits and gets into all the corners so easily. Its made applying foundation so much easier and quicker (ironically).

plue
May 16, 2012 at 10:22 am

i have been seeing this brush around for a while but never gotten around to it. have always been a powder girl than liquid, but recently i had a change of heart. i adore skunk/stippling brushes (they are the same, right), but your this review makes me wanna give this a try since i do more liquid foundation now, and can’t stand dirty fingers!

and RM95 for something that does the job well is a steal i’d say!
plue recently blogged…Did Shu Uemura Depsea Hydrability Alnight Quench SOS Moisture Essence Answer My SOS Call?My Profile

May 16, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I was always a powder fan too but recently, have hardly touched my powders. Oops! I never got the hang of skunk brushes if you can imagine. Not for blush and not for foundation. Never understood the hype lol!

Lisa May 16, 2012 at 11:44 pm

I am personally not a stippling brush person either.
I was gifted with a MAC one. Was initially very happy to receive it thinking it must be really good from all the online hype few years back. But after many fruitless experiments with it, I gave up. It’s just too much work trying to make it work. And after which it still doesn’t work for me. There were several times I had to remove and redo my makeup all over no thanks to this brush.

May 17, 2012 at 12:06 am

Oh good! I thought I’m the only person who doesn’t get the whole stippling/skunk brush thing. I have usually managed to apply my blushes, pigmented ones even, with a good soft blush brush so I never quite understood the need for the skunk brush 😛 I find they tend to splay too much and cover too wide an area for blush. Maybe it’s just me.

plue
May 17, 2012 at 10:06 am

lol like how i don’t understand the magic of using sponges and beauty blenders! 😛

May 17, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Me neither!

Nikki May 16, 2012 at 10:58 am

The brush looks wonderful! I have a soft spot for brushes like that! It spells “FULL, EVEN Coverage”! :)

May 16, 2012 at 10:26 pm

As a MUA you’d know that, Nikki! I’m told that lots of makeup artists love it too.

Ana Nz. May 16, 2012 at 10:58 am

Interesting! Whats the bristles made of Paris? Synthetics, Animal hair, etc?
Thanks!

May 16, 2012 at 10:26 pm

It’s synthetic, Ana :)

Esther May 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

Hi Paris, I bought the Shiseido 131 brush from a drugstore in Shinjuku thinking that it’s the Shiseido brush that you were raving about! When I came home then I realised it is not THE ONE. Anyway, as mentioned by you, the difference is marginal and it is equally great to use :) I also use the Daiso sponge detergent to clean the brush and yes, it takes forever to clean it…Maybe I should buy one of this, the one from the Shiseido counter :)

Joy Chong
May 16, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Hi Ester,

Another cheaper way to clean your brush faster and more effectively. Try the bar soap from Marks and Spencer or Dove. Wet the brush and glide it over the bar soap till it is soapy and rinse off. Then leave to dry on a towel.
*Use only the 2 bar soaps mentioned as any normal one will leave your brushes dry

May 16, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I say! I must try this! 😀

Esther May 17, 2012 at 9:27 am

Thanks for the tip Joy :) I will give them a try :)

Joy Chong
May 17, 2012 at 10:26 am

It was one of the first things my that we were taught when I learned makeup because makeup artist go through so many brushes at 1 go and using a detergent or brush cleaner will really burn the pocket :)

May 16, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Oh dear! But it’s still a good brush and almost exactly the same as the counter one. Cleaning it can be a bother which is why I ended up with 2 😛 one to clean and one to use when the other is dirty lol! The Daiso detergent does make life easier though.

Yani May 16, 2012 at 11:07 am

Okay – I’m ABSOLUTELY sold! Been toying with the idea of getting one and now I will just have to! :)

May 16, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Ok, I better go ask Shiseodo for some commission now 😉 I hope you like it as much as i do Yani!

jyoan May 16, 2012 at 11:15 am

I can’t believe the timeliness of this! I wanted to click this brush from the online Tangs store yesterday. But stopped short as I feel I should feel it first before investing. Now this has convinced me.

Jyoan May 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Checked it out today as there was a Shisedo sale in town. Gosh, this brush is incredibly small, and I almost gasped and exclaimed, “so small” to the SA. haha. I wouldn’t believe it’s a foundation brush if they don’t name it.

May 16, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Yikes! How’s that for serendipity?! Did you end up getting it? It’s actually really small which is why I used a picture of me holding it to show just how compact it is hehe…

Jayie May 16, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Hmmm I wonder how it compares to the also raved Sigma E80 foundation brush? The denseness looks similar…

May 16, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Interesting question Jayie. I don’t have the Sigma one so I can’t compare them. Hope you find the answer one way or another :)

lyn
May 16, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I’ve been experimenting with this brush and really like it too. Application takes a bit longer but it is worth while. I am getting another for powder foundations because I don’t like to mix my brushes between liquid/cream and powder products. I need to test this out with the Chanel cream foundation because I keep getting rather patchy application. Hoping this lil’ brush will work great 😉
lyn recently blogged…Are you Tickled Pink? Featuring My Favourite Pink Makeup and How To Wear ThemMy Profile

May 16, 2012 at 10:59 pm

You know what? This brush didn’t work for me with the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua. I find that applies best with fingers but I don’t know about the cream. I don’t mplike my brushes mixing liquid and powder too hence my moment of madness getting another lol!

Rachel Lok May 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Hi.. I wonder if you’ve heard of Bubbi HD flawless brush.. It’s kinda look the same with Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush.
here’s the link: http://www.shopbubbi.com/product.php?id_product=8

ps: I’ve always wanted to try Bubbi brushes (well, it’s from my favourite youtube guru!) and the brushes seems to have good reviews.

May 16, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Hi Rachel, I haven’t come across Bubbi brushes but thanks for pointing me in their direction. Will try to check them out if I can :)

cc May 16, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Been using this brush for the past 3 months. At first I was using the ‘sweeping’ way to do it and the effect is kinda ‘meh’ so I then switched back to Real Techniques stippling brush, then buff it further with the buffing brush.. (phew, that sounds like a lot of work!! IT IS!!).. Then I researched further, watched a couple of videos of how it should be done by the designer herself, (http://www.shiseido.co.jp/beauty/season/feature/foundation-10823-3.html) it is now love love love. Oh, about the washing bit, I dab the brush with a little bit of L’Occitane almond oil and wash it, then rinse again with their soap. Cleans well and leaves a lovely smell. :)

May 16, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Im going to try the almond shower oil trick soon. My brushes are due for a wash 😀 thanks for sharing the video too cc. I have to agree that It’s all that buffing with brushes that put me off foundation brushes but now, no more hassle! :)

giddy tigress
May 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Now you made me wanna go get this brush too! And I am on a shopping ban! Arrrghhh!!!

May 16, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Well it’s permanent so no rush! :)

gio May 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm

This brush sounds wonderful! I don’t think I’ve never seen this one here yet, must ask the SA where they’ve been hiding it next time I go to the counter lol. I really hope they’ll have it in stock. :)
gio recently blogged…Spotlight On Retinyl PalmitateMy Profile

May 16, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Yes, Gio. Tell them not to hide the good stuff! :) I hope you manage to find it and that it’ll work out for you. It will change the way you view your foundation once you see it go on so much smoother 😀

Leesa May 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I have the same brush at home but use it with coffret dor 2 way pact and absolutely love it- it does actually apply like a dream, there are some videos for those interested in how to apply from shiseido makeup artists…

May 16, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Yay Leesa! I’m so happy that I’m not the only one raving like a lunatic over how great these are. I don’t use them for powder foundation a lot but will give it a try again soon.

Jacqueline May 16, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Pars, I have this too and it is the best foundation brush I have ever used. I love it to bits, the best part is, it is so affordable.

May 16, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I have to agree with you on every score, Jacqueline 😀 it’s a great little brush!

espenine May 16, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Paris! I want to break your vicious vow about having ‘no need for another nor do I even intend to look at another’ by introducing you to the Hakuhodo Foundation Brush (G5553-2mm). It is a very, very strong contender for Shiseido Foundation Brush with its beautifully soft hair brush, small size to reach the corners & airbrushed coverage. It is also easier to clean too.

Personally, this used to be my perfect love until the Hakuhodo Foundation Brush appeared in my life.

Never say never in the makeup world! 😛

May 16, 2012 at 11:41 pm

*hide* Noooo not the Hakuhodo brushes!!! 😛 thanks for letting me know about it, Espenine. I have been keeping an eye on Hakuhodo brushes but the prices! *gasp* I think I’ll make do with these few good mainstream brushes. But as you say, never say never! 😉

milktea May 16, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I got the 131 from adambeauty recently. :) Not used yet. Do not have Shiseido the makeup brush to compare with unfortunately.

May 16, 2012 at 11:41 pm

The 131 is pretty good. Break it out and let’s have a go! :)

Joan May 16, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I have this brush but im actually not as impressed… I do think that it takes me surprisingly a short amount of time to do my whole face with such a small brush, and the finish is quite nice – i like it better to apply powder foundation actually because powder is less likely to be pushed into the brush.

But the cleaning is a PAIN. It takes me SO long to get the brush to be rid of all trapped foundation! :( Is there a secret to cleaning this brush!?

May 16, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Aww Joan was it just the cleaning that got to you? It got to me too when I was using baby shampoo as I usually do. But I find the Daiso detergent for sponges helps a lot! I just have to dilute some in a small container of water, dip the brush, soak it just a little bit then agitate it in the water and it’s mostly clean. The Daiso detergent is murder on natural hair brushes but for synthetic bristles, it’s pretty good. Maybe give it a go?

Ashley May 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I’ve been interested in the 131 but I don’t want to go through the hassle of shopping online. I will definitely be visiting a counter near me to pick up the Perfect Foundation brush, I may even have a coupon to sweeten the deal!

May 16, 2012 at 11:45 pm

A coupon! Perfect, Ashley! 😀 I hope if you do try it that you’ll like it too!

Joy Chong
May 16, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Paris you are evil!! I’m already so broke and I ran down to Isetan and bought 1. But I must say this is a first and hopefully last :)

May 16, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Wow! That effective eh? 😉 I hope it works for you, do let me know if it does! I’m told a lot of makeup artists like it too.

Sze Ling May 16, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I fell for the typical-foundation-brush-trap too. Hate it! It’s now just sitting on my vanity, collecting dust.

For foundations, I love my Beauty Blenders. :) Worth every penny I paid for it.
Sze Ling recently blogged…Corn Dog MuffinsMy Profile

May 16, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I almost fell for the beauty blender hype and I got a dupe by Sonia Kashuk. I never quite got the hang of the whole bouncing thing. Maybe I should dig it out and see if age and experience has made me any wiser 😛

laila May 16, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Have been looking for a foundation brush for quite sometimes and the price is not that expensive compare to Mac brush..thanks Paris for this review…definitely a must buy item since I am using liquid foundations all the time….

May 16, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I hope you’ll like this one Laila. I was never one for foundation brushes till I met this 😀

Petrina May 16, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I love this brush! I have both this and the 131 which is a tad bit cheaper but just as great

May 16, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Another fan! Hurrah! So happy that so many people like it 😀

Rahainah
May 16, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I always have a soft spot on thick dense (synthetic) foundation brush. And the price!? I gotta get one!! 😀
Thanks so much for reviewing this, you got me sold hehe

May 16, 2012 at 11:56 pm

A brush that ticks all your right boxes! I hope you like it :)

Sunny
May 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I’ve been wanting to try this for a long time! Maybe I will when I start wearing foundation again. At the moment I’m too happy with Dior Hydra Life BB cream, and it’s blended so easily with my fingers. OK fine, I’m really lazy too :p

May 16, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Haha well there’s no need to wear foundation if you don’t need it, honestly :) BB creams are great for me for weekends or days when I’m lazy but for the most part I still do foundation for a more polished exterior 😉

juan
May 16, 2012 at 10:09 pm

sold!!! one more to be included in my wish list *sigh*
juan recently blogged…Naturally Radiant with Clarins Skin Illusion FoundationMy Profile

May 16, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Haha… Oops! Living up to my enabler title yes?

Sukie May 16, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I bought one of these during my trip home and I haven’t been able to put it down since! This works so well with both liquid and cream compact foundations! =D

May 17, 2012 at 12:00 am

Whee! Happy you managed to pick one up here where it’s probably cheaper, and that you like it too! I haven’t tried it with cream compacts but you have me curious now! 😉

Lisa May 16, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I’m currently using the 131 for powder application. It works magic. Sort of makes my pores disappear. I was thinking of getting another one for liquid application. But you have just convinced me to just drop by the nearest Shiseido counter and pick up this one instead!! I’m glad I waited and didn’t get a almost identical brush as good as the 131 is. :-)

May 17, 2012 at 12:08 am

Technically, if you have easy access to the 131 then it would make economical sense to get that since they are almost the same. But if it involves buying online then I think it’s easier and quicker to just buy the Shiseido one at the counter. Love how so many of us live this brush! 😀

S. May 17, 2012 at 1:33 am

I usually use my fingers for foundation application but I’d love to try to use a brush.. I should look for this!
S. recently blogged…Translucent Loose Powder.My Profile

May 17, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I use my fingers too! Its so much quicker hehe… But the brush does give a more even, smoother effect. As another reader mentioned, its almost poreless 😀

vivavoomz May 17, 2012 at 4:30 am

It does remind me the Bubbi foundation brush by bubzbeauty. After your review, I want the Shiseido brush so bad.
vivavoomz recently blogged…Gmarket Hauls: Korean TopsMy Profile

May 17, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Haha I actually have no idea who that is, but I looked up the brushes and it does look similar. Can’t tell if it performs the same way though. :)

BunBunMakeupTips
May 17, 2012 at 5:27 am

I totally get what you mean with the liquid vs powder foundation feel. Powder just sits on the surface and makes the skin look mask-like. It makes the skin feel like it’s suffocating beneath.

I love the Sigma F80 for liquid foundation application. It’s not unlike the Shiseido brush, also with dense bristles and a flat top, though yours is angled. I like the Sigma one coz it’s bigger and takes much less time to have my entire face done in minutes.

The Real Techniques brush is rubbish for foundation application. I only use it for cream blushes.

And yes, this is where the Daiso detergent is our best friend. 😀
BunBunMakeupTips recently blogged…Makeup Geek Eyeshadows Review: Because We All Need Good Quality And Affordable EyeshadowsMy Profile

May 17, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I haven’t decided what to use my Real Techniques brush for, because as you say, its rubbish for foundation. I’ll try it with cream blushes, thanks! I am not familiar with the Sigma brush but will take your word for it :)

mckhor May 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

I have been eyeing for a foundation brush and still do not know which one to choose as there are so many choices out there. I just want to make sure i am going to pick the right one as you know, most of those branded brushes are pricey and i don’t want to spend on something that’s not working or not worth the money. Your review really helps me a lot and you do convince me to get one ! ^_^

May 17, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Yep, finding a good foundation brush is hard, but I’d suggest you try this one at the counter and see if it works for you. Its not terribly pricey and for me, its excellent but as with everything, different people will experience it differently :)

Shija May 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Shiseido Brush.. Never owed one… I will give this a try Paris..it will b my first Shiseido brush..thks for reviewing…

May 17, 2012 at 6:58 pm

You’re welcome, Shija! I’m glad you found it useful. I’m told that Shiseido doesn’t sell any brushes locally anymore except this one :) I don’t own any other either so I can’t say how good their brushes are.

trah May 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I’ve been looking for a good stippling brush and this post will change the way I apply my make-up. Currently I’m using mist to set my liquid foundation for the air brushed look.

May 21, 2012 at 9:53 pm

If you try this brush I hope it works for you. Someone I know who picked it up did like it, so I hope you will too. It’s quite impressive :)

C May 18, 2012 at 6:39 am

This brush sounds wonderful- I love the comparison of the three different ones you did! I’m struggling with applying foundation at the moment- applying with my fingers always seems to be streaky, so I forked out on the highly raved real techniques stippling brush which I can’t get to work at all. (Which isn’t the only brush that has failed for me, despite good reviews. It kind of makes me want to cry on how much I’ve spent on makeup tools that don’t work!) Will have to save up for this one. Hopefully it can be the ‘one’ XD

May 21, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I know how you feel! I’ve tried a couple of highly raved brushes only to be disappointed. I haven’t formed much thoughts about the Real Tchniques stippling brush which I got based on raves. But am not terribly sold on any of the brushes just yet. Makes me wonder if it’s just me 😛 I think you might find this brush to your liking. I was never into brushes for foundation but am now sold, especially for the times when I need to have them last. Perfect! :)

Lumi May 18, 2012 at 9:54 am

Ugh, you made this brush sound so good. ;A;
I really like how you compared it to other types of brushes and showed the differences.

I haven’t invested much in my brushes at all, but I’ll keep this one in my mind.

May 21, 2012 at 10:04 pm

That’s because it’s really good hehe… I’ve been laying around but I think I’ve reached my optimum in brushes for now. If you get it at some point in time, I hope you like it!

Lumi June 6, 2012 at 7:04 am

Guess what? 😀

I just got this brush in the mail today!!~ I’m so excited to use it! ^^

My face has gotten more than a few spots recently, so I hope this brush will help me cover them up well. ;~;

June 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I hope it worked its magic! 😉

Lumi June 12, 2012 at 9:13 am

The brush is super soft and it gives me more even coverage, but I’m not experiencing the wow factor yet. My skin has been really dry lately too. T.T

And you are so right! It is such a pain to clean!! I’ve only used it a few times. Gonna order Daiso detergent sometime soon, because I can’t stand trying to clean it with regular liquid soap… x3

rudi May 18, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I gotta try this; one of the reasons i seldom use liquid foundation is d painstaking application. – rm95 instant gratification for me this weekend!

May 21, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Did you get it Rudi? Hope you liked it!

Joy Chuah
May 19, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Wow! I think I’ve finally stumbled upon The Brush that I’ve been searching for. I found myself grinning over the the part where you went ahead and got the typical paddle type – which I did – and it was meh. I hate the sticky, thick, and icky feeling when wearing foundation so I ended up not wearing any.
But, this brush sounds like what I’ve been looking for. I’ve bookmarked this page. It’s a gem.
Thanks for sharing Paris XD

May 21, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Yay Joy! I hope that if you do get it, that you like it too!i honestly don’t get the fuss over the paddle brushes because I found them so hard to handle and to get a nice, light, smooth finish

epoca May 20, 2012 at 2:02 am

the 131 retails at 1,800yen. but during markdowns i’ve seen it go as low as 1,300yen. HTH.

May 21, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Thank you for the price update! Appreciate it 😀

Elaine May 22, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Hi! I owned the Shiseido 131 foundation brush. And, yes I am in love with it compared to sponges. I had recently bought the Sigma F82 brush & currently liking it more than the Shiseido 131 brush as it is sllightly bigger. I find it easier to blend with a bigger surface… But, still Shiseido 131 is a good foundation brush & doesn’t leaves streaks on the face.

May 22, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Thanks for sharing, Elaine! :) I haven’t tried the Sigma one, but its good to know that it works well too.

jengae May 26, 2012 at 3:51 am

Nicely written review!!
and yes it’s worth it!

But for now i’d stick to my skunk brush for base, foundation, blush, finishing altogether!! so fast! hahahaha. (and this brush will be on my wishlist for my birthday this year..yeay!)

Aza_A
June 11, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Hi Paris B. I know i’m so left behind on this, but i’ve been contemplating whether to or not to buy, cos i’m just worried that it’d just not do it for me, like any other brushes (i had the same problem like you too, all those brushes out there are just mehhh that i would usually end up using me fingers). But i took the plunge today anyway, and bought this one, and my goodness, she is the best! I will never ever use other brushes or sponges etc. Ever. Thanks so much Paris. You’re a lifesaver. You really are. If not because of your review, i will never find out about this gem. :)

June 12, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Hi Aza, so glad that the review helped and that you like the brush! I don’t use any other brush for my foundations anymore either. Foundation just goes on so smoothly right? 😉

Aza_A
June 12, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Yeap. You got that right! It’s gonna be this brush all the way. 😉

Kay June 21, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I bought this the day before, washed and tried using this with the clarins skin illusion foundation today and it works like a dream. My very first liquid foundation and foundation brush and both gives the result I wanted! The coverage of the foundation is medium when used with this brush and sheer when with a sponge. It’s much easier to spread the foundation evenly when the brush and I can layer up without the heaviness. Thanks Paris for the recommendation and I’m totally loving it!

June 23, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Hi Kay, I’m glad this brush worked for you too! I have nothing but love for it and I’ve been curious to try the Clarins Skin Illusion foundation!

bronzechiqz June 22, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Hey Paris! I wanted to ask your choice of buffing brush between Real Technique buffing brush and this Shiseido, which one do you prefer?

June 23, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Hiya, it’ll have to be Shiseido all the way for me! I use it daily while I’ve only used the RT buffing brush once or twice hahha! Answers your question right? 😉

pj August 23, 2012 at 4:04 pm

hi Paris. I saw a similar brush (maybe a dupe?) at THE FACE SHOP. For foundation as well.. maybe you can check it out :)

August 27, 2012 at 10:44 am

I haven’t seen it, but I have heard that there are a few dupes out now. Thanks :)

B September 21, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I like traditional foundation brush the most for my BB. The different depends on the hair, I prefer the orange fiber hair. However, for liquid foundation I prefer dense brush like flat-top kabuki or Real Techniques expert face brush. I also don’t like stripping brush for foundation like you except for cream or pan foundation (anything that thick). I use buffing or kabuki brush for compacts. Try different techniques and you will see the different results.

Karissa January 29, 2013 at 6:34 am

For everyone that has this brush and cant figure out how to clean it luke warm water baby shampoo and most importantly BABY OIL. I thought my brush was ruined because I could not for the life of me figure out how to clean it completly bristles started clumping together and getting rough with fly aways. Ive always used baby shampoo but tried it with baby oil today and omg such a difference I think its even softer then before :))

Happy Locks October 11, 2013 at 3:14 am

wow! This has been on my radar for a very long time. But always out of stock. :(

xx