in Food & Lifestyle,Musings

I’m such a coffee addict icon biggrin Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 10 : The best coffee (and affogato!) I can get in Kuala Lumpur I need my cuppa in the mornings, before I even start feeling alive or begin functioning. I don’t drink a lot though, despite this “addict” label. I just have that one cup and I’m good for the day.

raw coffee4 Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 10 : The best coffee (and affogato!) I can get in Kuala Lumpur

For convenience however, I drink instant coffee. Yes, I know full well that its sacrilege to say you enjoy coffee and then go make a cup of Nescafe icon razz Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 10 : The best coffee (and affogato!) I can get in Kuala Lumpur But its convenient ok. However, when I really want a good cup of coffee (I don’t drink coffee from most chain cafes) I go here – RAW Coffee – Raw And Wholesome Food, a cafe located conveniently just opposite Suria KLCC. I don’t go often, but when that craving hits for good coffee, I make the drive there.

Many of us here in Malaysia are quite familiar with and have great fondness for the thick black brew found at our local coffeeshops (or ‘kopitiam’ in local parlance). Other than that nerve shuddering, spine tingling, bitter tasting brew we are used to, few of us are really any good at telling good coffee from bad. I went on a little Coffee Appreciation course late last year at RAW Coffee to learn about this.

Yes, I said last year. I’m tardy icon razz Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 10 : The best coffee (and affogato!) I can get in Kuala Lumpur

I learnt that this is what “good high quality coffee beans” should look like.

raw coffee5 Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 10 : The best coffee (and affogato!) I can get in Kuala Lumpur

They should be whole, and look clean, without looking mouldy or deformed. I’m told the crummy ones are used to make instant coffee. EEPS!! That’s what I drink usually icon razz Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 10 : The best coffee (and affogato!) I can get in Kuala Lumpur Also, coffee beans aren’t brown, despite what we commonly think. They start out green….

… and are then roasted to varying degrees of brown for varying degrees of flavour.

raw coffee3 Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 10 : The best coffee (and affogato!) I can get in Kuala Lumpur

The coffee you get from these beans can taste sweet, sour or bitter depending on how they are extracted. Extracting coffee, or that barista job that looks incredibly easy really is a skill and can determine if that cuppa joe is drinkable or tar.

Here, I demonstrate how a good cup of coffee is extracted at RAW Coffee cafe.  Michael, the coffee connoisseur who conducts the course pronounced my maiden attempt “pretty good” which, as you might expect, left me feeling really chuffed  *ahem* Maybe there’s a chance for me to make Barista-ing an alternative career yet icon razz Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 10 : The best coffee (and affogato!) I can get in Kuala Lumpur

raw coffee Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 10 : The best coffee (and affogato!) I can get in Kuala Lumpur

Coffee, made properly with good beans and with good technique doesn’t taste horribly bitter or sour. It tastes sweet (relatively speaking) all by itself and I can quite easily drink it without sugar or milk.

RAW Cafe serves food too (Vegetarian) and its all quite good for a quick light lunch, but if you are there, always… and I mean ALWAYS make room for dessert – Affogato. Since I discovered what I consider to be the best ever Affogato in town, I’m an Affogato addict too! icon biggrin Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 10 : The best coffee (and affogato!) I can get in Kuala Lumpur I mean, ice cream and coffee – match made in Heaven!

raw coffee2 Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 10 : The best coffee (and affogato!) I can get in Kuala Lumpur

The coffee (espresso) is served with a scoop of good quality ice cream in separate bowls. Pour the hot coffee over the ice cream and savour the contrast of flavours and textures – hot and cold, sweet and bitter. It is incredibly perfect. I’ve been known to make on the spur plans with friends in the middle of the day to meet here just to enjoy the Affogato icon biggrin Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 10 : The best coffee (and affogato!) I can get in Kuala Lumpur

Are you a coffee drinker too? Do you know where else does good Affogato? Even if you aren’t a coffee drinker, make it a point to try this one at least once. Heaven, I tell you! icon biggrin Scrumptious Saturday Vol. 10 : The best coffee (and affogato!) I can get in Kuala Lumpur

RAW Coffee – Real and Wholesome food cafe is at Wisma Equity, Kuala Lumpur. Check out the RAW Coffee Facebook page for upcoming coffee appreciation courses.

Scrumptious Saturday : One day in a week where I dish out random scrumptiousness from my other love – food!

Reese May 5, 2012 at 9:30 am

Aahh, must make my way there again. Maybe we should have coffee again sometimes soon :)

May 6, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Yay! Let’s ;)

Iza May 5, 2012 at 9:34 am

Oh i went to the coffee appreciation class in RAW this year :-). I got to RAW, Artisan Roast and MyEsspessoLab for my coffee fix. Since all are not within close proximity i go without coffee for a week or more!!!

May 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Ooh yay! So you’d know exactly what I’m talking about :) I’d heard a lot Bout Artisan Roast but haven’t been cos I’m never in that area, so I guess RAW is my place to go. Get the affogato next time ;)

Jennifer May 5, 2012 at 10:08 am

It’s just across the street from my office and every Friday when I get long lunch breaks, I’ve always wanted to hop over but never did. Perhaps I should go on one of these days during lunch or during my MPO outings because I’ve read a lot of good reviews. Thanks for sharing :)

May 6, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Definitely head over for lunch of you have the time. Their sandwiches and sops are good too, considering I’m not into vegetarian food ;) oh and definitely have an affogato!

Angel May 5, 2012 at 10:19 am

I was a barista at Starbucks before. Honestly, I don’t really fancy their beverages but the experience working there is priceless! I enjoyed meeting different people of different backgrounds. I enjoyed spending my time grinding the coffee beans. I enjoyed my time working with the La Marzocco (coffee machine) and basically everything.

By the way, I just found out Chilla Cup offers great choices of food and caffeine as well! I’m totally addicted to their Mint Mocha! If you ever pass by Mont Kiara or even Subang, Chilla Cup has outlets there! Do try!

May 6, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Aww a real life barista in our midst! ;) I’m not a fan of the beverage/brand myself but it’s great to know you had fun during your stint! I think i’ve heard of Chilla Cup too. Will Try to remember to check it out the next time im in Mont Kiara, thanks! :)

Hanny
May 5, 2012 at 10:50 am

I love coffee!!! I usually drink Coffee O (ice or no ice), but when I am feeling a little indulgent, I go for Starbucks. Heh heh heh. Sometimes, there are even days when I drink both!

May 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Ahhh Kopi O, a ubiquitous local coffee treat :) I don’t take that myself. I’m terribly fussy about my Kopi and there aren’t many places that serve a good kopitiam Kopi. Sigh.

Jyoan May 5, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I am not a coffee addict. But I love a good cup of coffee, as in kopi-o-kosong. I only drink at places with baristas, because then the coffee without milk and sugar has taste, is fragrant, and not bitter.

There are a lot of good ones in Singapore, and one of my favorite and most convenient places is a cafe bar at Orchard.

Nowadays, I like to order Macchiato, which is more coffee, less milk.

May 6, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I like trying the brew of the day. Sometimes, they can surprise me :) I’ve stopped taking coffee with milk because it upsets my tummy so taking it black gets the best flavor out for me. Must check with you good places to go for good coffee in Singapore the next time I go down ;)

Sam
May 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I love the odd coffee, but I’m mainly addicted to Nespresso (or George Clooney). My current quest is hunting for the perfect chai latte, but I’m unsuccessful so far.

May 6, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Nespresso! Lol I never got the hang of chai latte. Guess its cos I don’t like tea in general. If I do take teas, I take them without milk and with sugar ;)

Sze Ling May 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm

A fellow coffee addict here too! :)
Since my bad affogato experience at Do*e, I’ve since shy away from affogato.
Sounds like I should make a trip to RAW the next time I’m in KL. :D
Sze Ling recently blogged…My Feelings Towards GarrettMy Profile

May 6, 2012 at 9:39 pm

High 5,fellow addict ;) I don’t think I could take affogato anywhere else now. I’m spoilt! Do try this one, next time you’re in town :) btw, I do think the quality of drinks and everything in D*me has really gone down the drain

Millie May 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I love coffee and can’t live without it even for a day. Paris, if you want convenience for a cup of coffee, I recommend Starbucks’s sachet pack VIA italian roast for rich taste or colombia for mild taste. I’m addicted to the italian roast.

May 6, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Starbucks does sachet coffees? I didn’t know that :P I’ll keep a look out for it, thanks! I don’t usually like their brews in the shop. It at least if I make it at home I can make it to my liking :)

jen May 5, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I am a coffee lover too! But I just take 1 cup in the morning for the whole day :)
And it’s instant coffee too!
Affogato sounds awesome! Coffee and ice cream! Two of my fave comfort foods! Wanna try that! I wonder where can I find it here in the Philippines?
Btw, what is the flavor of the ice cream?

May 6, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I’m sure you can easily find affogato at coffee bars or restaurants in Phillippines ;) they usually use vanilla ice cream although you can use any sort. A vanilla ice cream with caramel bits goes well too. Mmmmm ….

Applegal May 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm

This sounds AWESOME! I should try too! I love a good latte and alcoholic coffee. For the latter, I usually get my fix at Vienna Cafe in KLCC.

May 6, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Guess what, I haven’t yet had a good Viennese coffee! Will give Vienna Cafe a try soon, thanks!

Swati
May 5, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I do love coffees but I have never made coffee on my own!!! this sounds fun and if coffee can be drunk without sugar, that must be the sweet taste of hardwork :D I never thought coffee can be taken w/o sugar…I like the bitter taste but not entirely bitter, of course.
Swati recently blogged…How do I use Essential Oils? {DIY}My Profile

May 6, 2012 at 9:44 pm

It was a fun experience. I’d always wanted to operate one of those machines :) I usually take all my coffees without sugar, or with minimal sugar. Few people can understand why or how I do lol!

Beth Maiorana May 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I didn’t think it was possible to love you more than when I first subscribed, but you are outdoing my expectations with this post today!! I, too, am a coffee junkie as well as a “foodie” so I feel as though I have struck gold with you and your blog!! Many thanks, happy Cinqo de Mayo, have a wonderful weekend and I look eagerly forward to more from you… xoxo Beth in Pgh ;-)

May 6, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Hi Beth! Thank you for letting me know you enjoy these little food snippets :) I’m a huge foodie too as you can probably tell and am always looking for the next good eat! We don’t celebrate it here but Happy Cinqo de Mayo to you and I hope your weekend has been a good one :D

ishi May 5, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Without my morning cuppa, the transformation back to my human self would be a slow and painful process….sighhhh…(turn off the sun and leave me in my casket please…) Ditto on nescafe, a life saver nevertheless. But for a bit of luxury at home in the morning I turn to Taylors of Harrogate. I LOVE the After Dark coffee blend. I only do black coffee and a lil bit of sugar to taste.

May 6, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Lol!! I love your opening statement :D I feel like the walking dead without my morning cuppa too!

Helz Nguyen
May 6, 2012 at 5:14 am

That looks so fun and delicious.. especially that ice cream next to it ;)

I drink coffee so I could “function” at work, other than that I prefer myself as a tea drinker lol.

May 6, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I never took to tea, and I’m not sure why! I just fortify myself with water throughout the day :D

s May 6, 2012 at 5:24 am

Gosh that looks like so much fun! I usually get my coffee fix from Whisk (Empire Subang) or RAW coffee too! =)

May 6, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Yay for RAW Coffee ;) I’ve never tried Whisk but if I’m ever in Empire, I’ll bear it in mind to try ;)

Cas May 7, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Used to drink tea but now I’m a coffee addict convert :) Btw I do highly recommend the Dolce Gusto coffee machine, the mocha is pretty yummy and helps you can make it at the comfort of your own home :)
Cas recently blogged…The New GadgetMy Profile

May 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Hurrah for coming over to the dark (coffee) side! :D I just remembered I actually have a coffee machine at home! But I never used it, because it was just too much hassle to have to clean it after every use < - lazy me :P

Connie De Alwis
May 7, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I’m not an avid coffee drinker but I enjoyed the RAW affogato! Great combination :D

May 8, 2012 at 3:19 pm

So when’s our next affogato date? ;)

Samantha May 9, 2012 at 11:00 am

Me too! Coffee addicts unite ;-) Coffee is definitely my best friend,but my bf is not too fond of my habit though, he said i am poisoned by it :-p ..on bad days i will need 2 cups. i have not attended these classes though and your article is piquing my interest in attending one

May 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Lol! Tell him a bit of coffee is good for the heart hehe… That’s what I read somewhere once ;) I think RAW does these classes off and on, so keep an eye on their FB page. Or go try their coffee and affogato. yum!