Your Say: Is there a popular cosmetics brand that you just can’t get into?

in Discussions

popular cosmetics brands

Ladies, we get bombarded left and right everyday through advertising. Lately, whenever I watch TV (only terrestrial channels) I’ve noticed popular skincare brand SK-II stepping up their commercial game. I can’t watch TV without once seeing their ad for the Facial Treatment Essence of the Cellumination Pixel White essence.

I am however, quite immune to the brand, popular as it is. Nothing they say could even vaguely pique my interest or get me to use the products. I used to use the products so I can speak from experience. I just could not get into it at all which is why I wavered and looked elsewhere. Ditto MAC Cosmetics. Try as I might (and I have been trying especially hard in these past 2 years), it is not a brand that interests me at all. Sorry, lovers of MAC. I just can’t!

I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling this so I’m curious if most of you have this sort of numbness towards some popular cosmetics brands too?

For myself, SK-II and MAC are the 2 primary very big, very popular brands out there amongst the skincare users and makeup users, that I hit a blind spot with and just can’t get into.

I never bought into Bobbi Brown either. The main reason I think is because I started out loving bright colours and Bobbi Brown just didn’t have what I wanted. By the time I mellowed and started looking into neutral colours, there were so many other options out there. I did use to collect the Shimmerbricks (had so many!) and I would love to get to know more about the brand because it would appear that they have some gems in their profile but I haven’t quite sussed out what.

Recently for me, Shu Uemura has also started to hit my blind spot. I was a huge huge fan of the brand when I started out more than 5 years ago. HUGE! I had so many of their eyeshadow singles and blushes because they were just amazing stuff. But with their most recent reformulations, I just felt they weren’t quite up to the standard I was used to anymore.

Oh and there’s Chanel too. I know they have their legion of fans – blogs are afire with every new Chanel release – but I haven’t been able to drum up enough interest to even take a look until its too late and the collection is sold out (bad blogger! 😛 ) Its certainly strange, considering I used to be a huge fan of their products before this.

These are just a few of the popular brands out there that I just can’t get into. I do still keep an eye on Chanel releases because some remnants of the interest remains. But I can safely say that SK-II and MAC definitely hit my blind spot. I guess that explains why you never see much if anything from those brands on my blog 😀

Your Say: Is there a popular cosmetics brand that you just can’t get into? Is there a reason why or is it just general indifference? In my case, as far as SK-II and MAC are concerned, its just general indifference.

Tracy April 24, 2012 at 8:52 am

I’m like that with MAC lately too-I have a few staples that I love, but the new collections I’ve lost interest. Chanel-it depends for me. Same with Dior too-I’m not a fan of their eye palettes for some reason, but I love the bronzers they have. I think I’m just not a one brand kind of girl, although if I was going to stick to just one, it’d be Burberry or Guerlain I think.

April 26, 2012 at 10:47 am

I think MAC is killing it by going overboard in their limited edition releases every month. I don’t even know how/why they are doing it. Well actually I do. People buy into it don’t they? 😛 I like Dior eye palettes 😀 But then, I do like that sheer colour they tend to have, and their blushes! Don’t forget them 😉

Tine
April 24, 2012 at 8:57 am

MAC for me, definitely. I’ve tried the very popular SKII facial treatment essence and found it quite meh. Have not tried anything else in the brand but that’s more due to lack of funds than not liking anything else from it :)

April 26, 2012 at 10:47 am

I used to be an SK2 user. Up and down the whole skincare line. Burnt a giant hole in my wallet and saw no real improvements so I decided it was all hype and left it. My prejudice does come from experience 😀

xin
April 24, 2012 at 9:14 am

MAC for me too! mostly because i never like their SAs. And SKII, oh for some reasons they just dont work on me!

hazel April 25, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Same here!!! I don’t like MAC’s SA at all!!! The SA made it sound like he has the best make ups in the world and he tried to match me with the wrong color code when he kept saying I was using the wrong color code from another brand. Just doesn’t work for me!

April 26, 2012 at 10:48 am

Oh yeah, MAC and their SAs are legendary!

Joy Chong
April 24, 2012 at 9:16 am

Definitely a big user of M.A.C being a make-up artist. The eye shadow pigments are great and can last under water for a period of time if applied properly. One brand I’m definitely immune to is SKII as the essence burned my skin for some odd reason. Not into Shiseido & Lancome also. I think its because I have sensitive skin, hence very fearful of skincare that contains high levels of fragrance.

April 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

Oh I do love MAC pigments too and own a few tubs! But I find that the newer formulations aren’t as good as the older versions. They tend to be powdery when pigments usually aren’t so. I think MAC appeals to makeup artists for the variety and the colours but for the everyday person like me, it is a bit meh especially when they release new collections every week… or so it seems 😛

Lindsey April 24, 2012 at 9:19 am

Chanel has never interested me. On top of that, every time I’ve attempted to try Chanel, because of hype, or people saying it would be perfect for what I was looking for, etc., I’ve encountered horribly rude SAs. Even worse than the average MAC one. So that’s always turned me off, too.

Joy Chong
April 24, 2012 at 10:40 am

I know right? they can be seriously arrogant sometimes. Have not experinced much “attitude” from MAC but mainly because I just go in and tell them what I want and walk out.

hazel April 25, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I’ve been to a few Chanel counters and I would say the best SA awards goes to a….trans-gender. No joke, ‘her’ service is much pleasant than those arrogant ladies.

April 26, 2012 at 10:50 am

Yeouch! Rude SAs are most definitely a turn off in any brand. Its what partly turns me off MAC and most recently, Shu Uemura at Pavilion KL. Ugh!

kuri
April 24, 2012 at 9:20 am

Yeah, I tend to stay away from brands that I feel are overhyped – they’re good, I’m sure, but kind of boring because of the hype :)

April 26, 2012 at 10:50 am

Its so….. “common” hehe…

dom
April 24, 2012 at 9:26 am

MAC – can’t keep up with any of the collections. Dior is another one, not entirely sure why but it just never comes to mind.
dom recently blogged…Re-Review: SK-II Facial Treatment Essence and a Compliments-Worthy ContestMy Profile

April 26, 2012 at 10:51 am

Yeah some brands really hit the blind spot don’t they? Chanel does it to me. Hits my blind spot totally for now. I used to really love them 😛

Stephanie/Yukaeshi
April 24, 2012 at 9:39 am

Hmm. I think mine would be SK-II, MAC, Dior, Lancome and Clinique mainly, for reasons either they don’t attract me, or their products don’t work well for me :( The only thing from Dior that attracts me and works for me is their Dior Addict lippies, though 😛 As for SK-II, tried their Facial Treatment Essence too (Went through 2 bottles) but nothing at all haha! Oh and I am wary of trying Shu Uemura because most of their products have mineral oil and after trying their Cleansing Oil and broke out from it even more cautious.

Brands that I do like? Chanel and Burberry. Not because they really attract me per se, but mainly because they work for me and don’t break me out! 😛
Stephanie/Yukaeshi recently blogged…Chanel Illusion d’Ombre In 83 IllusoireMy Profile

April 26, 2012 at 10:52 am

I do find that when we’ve had poor run ins or experience with a brand, we tend to overlook it more and more and then one day, we just forget it altogether! Actually Burberry does that to me. I can walk past their counter at Isetan KLCC and not realise it. I think their new location doesn’t quite do them justice :)

Hanny
April 24, 2012 at 9:41 am

Quite frankly, it’s the Japanese brands for me, i.e: Shiseido, Kanebo etc. I just don’t know why I prefer Western brands, huhuhu.
Hanny recently blogged…FOTD: Spring/Summer Blues, Greens and Purples! (You Might As Well Call This A Color Blocking FOTD!)My Profile

April 26, 2012 at 10:53 am

There’s no reason to prefer one over another 😀 Western brands tend to be more pigmented, I find and Japanese brands tend to be sheerer and more shimmery and besides, we’re all different with different preferences 😀

LeGeeque April 24, 2012 at 10:01 am

I’m just completely meh about everything right now. I go through phases. I was in a phase where I didn’t buy any makeup because I just wanted to finish using up what I have. I think I’m walking down that path now. I’m overwhelmed by all the new releases and new “technology” and I’ve gotten really jaded.

April 26, 2012 at 10:54 am

Oh yes! I go through those phases too. If not for keeping up with news/releases/products for the blog, I might have burnt out and given up. But now that I blog stuff I like (nevermind that they may be old news) I’m a lot happier 😀

Germs April 24, 2012 at 10:14 am

Agree about mac, never really ventured beyond two blushers i have from them! I think i’m weird like that.. The more high profile brands are, the more suspicious i am of their products, hah. SkII does have such a huge cult following though and i may want to try them out in future, but their spokespeople aren’t too convincing hehehe
Germs recently blogged…Mini Haul PostMy Profile

April 26, 2012 at 11:03 am

I think I just can’t relate to the SK2 spokes persons and they are all such high profile people, the cost of hiring them must be staggering! Might explain the prices of the products hehe..

shusheshe
April 24, 2012 at 10:22 am

Occasionally I’d a few pieces of Mac eyeshadows, but otherwise I’m kinda meh about them, especially since the last few pieces I bought were a complete bust. My co-workers rave about SKII and Guerlain, but they’re so expensive I can’t see myself buying them anytime soon.

April 26, 2012 at 11:04 am

Ooh I have a soft spot for Guerlain 😀 Some of their products, especially their powders or bases are quite good. Their colour line is a bit touch and go though.

shusheshe
April 27, 2012 at 9:42 am

I’ve heard excellent things about Guerlain’s skincare and bases, but they also come with a strong perfume scent that I can’t stand. The same thing with Armani.

Nikki April 24, 2012 at 11:08 am

Definitely SK-II, it has been around even when I was working in China. Girls were flocking the SK-II counter and I was just watching ..and I’ve seen the various commercials too! I would love to give it a try but even if they were right in front of me and are on sale, I don’t know why I just can’t grab at least ONE !

April 26, 2012 at 11:05 am

I know right!? When they first launched here, I actually bought everything from the line. As in from cleanser to serum to moisturizer and even sunscreen. Got too expensive to upkeep and had no WOW effect on my skin so I moved on

Sharon April 24, 2012 at 11:20 am

MAC used to be meh for me.. cos their SAs were too stuck up and too b***** for their own and my good. There was an incident where the SA (a guy who acted very feminine-like) laughed at me with his colleagues cos I only bought a concealer. The rest of the experiences werent too impressive too and I sworn off them for quite a long time. Recently I find myself going to them for their eyeshadows especially the pearly finishes ones and was lucky enough to encounter a few friendly ones (one even gave me free samples for foundation:)) and the rest who are not as rude lol..I reckon with MAC, you got to do your homework ie, look up youtube for recommendations for eyeshadows or look at what people are raving about or know what collection they are carrying so you would appear more knowledge and not as clueless. Cos it seems to me that they dont need effort to sell their products as the products sell themselves. The SAs arent very kind to people who dont know what they want or are just browsing. But if you want to look at blushes or eye shadows, they would be able to give some recommendations based on your skintone and preference for finish such as frost or sheen or matte etc. For Bobbi Brown, Shu Uemura, Chanel bad experiences and products that dont work for me. Paul and Joe foundations seems very yellow so am quite on the fence about it.. their eyeglosses look nice on the hands but I dont think they would show up if I were to wear them on my eyelids.Revlon would be a good sub for Bobbi Brown, I feel. Rather Dior than Chanel. Not super crazy about japanese makeup except for mascaras maybe and ZA mascaras and brow pencils do very well (well enough to repurchase with a more affordable price tag) for me . Oh Shiseido and Kose are 2 brands I am looking into and currently am quite pleased :) Well and maybe Lancome too. But always, always, always do homework first especially if venturing into new grounds.

April 26, 2012 at 11:08 am

I’d tried quite a few products from MAC – colour, bases etc. I personally think as a product they aren’t bad. But they just don’t appeal to me. Their eyeshadows are the only ones that fade on me which is super weird considering they are so pigmented and all :) The only thing I really like is their Pigments. But recent formulations aren’t impressive or interesting anymore :( I’m looking more and more into Shiseido recently and liking their new products and formula.

Jyoan April 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

haha, I feel that too. I haven’t tried SKII before, and I just can’t and wouldn’t try it. I have heard they are just bacteria eating your skin away, so your skin grows back new and feels like baby skin, but at the expense of making you get sensitive skin, as though you do laser peel non-stop.

I can’t get into Bobbi Brown too. I have their eye corrector duo (cream and concealer), but that really is it. I know their brushes are pretty good, and gel liners. But somehow, I haven’t bought any. I think for BB, it’s the staff. BB Singapore has really stuck off and unfriendly staff, like at every single counter!!!

I am out of Shu Uemura and Shisedo too. Shu Uemura is getting more and more kiddy and sub-standard in terms of image. I have got their curler from 5 years ago though.

I have recently taken into Shisedo because the SA at Tangs Orchard outlet is awesome to the max! She is like the kindest, sweetest, and most gentle SA I’ve met in all these years. (haha, yeah, I got that new Maquillage lipstick. Just one. That’s mad expensive.) But really, she has closed me in on Shisedo.

The reason I prefer Chanel and M.A.C is because the SAs are just so awesome when I approached them as a newbie. Forever friendly and helpful. Dior staff here is horrible too. Nowadays, my M.A.C SA recognizes me… =P so I always patron the same few outlets (they are familiar with me, and me them).

To me, whether I get into a brand or not is of course affected by branding/image, but on top of that, the final call is whether the SAs are good. Whether they are ambassadors of the brand, and truly put in effort to make the customer feel part of the brand. Afterall, the customer is paying a lot for the brand, not just any fish and fruit in the market.

April 26, 2012 at 11:09 am

I still go back to Shu Uemura for my curler and brow pencil but that’s about it now. I have been repeatedly disappointed in their eyeshadow and blush formulas recently so I’ve been overlooking them. A recent poor experience with their service was the final nail in the coffin 😛 I do think that the SAs are very important when it comes to our decisive factor on which brand to go with or try. Sometimes, the SA may make or break a brand but they don’t seem to realize that.

Honey April 24, 2012 at 11:35 am

MAC -somehow have not built up the courage to walk into our local MAC shops. For some reason I feel intimidated. Ha Ha! However have been to various overseas MAC shops and I’m ok. I only have 2 of their items – Fix+ and mineralized skin finish. I do like the mineralized skin finish but the Fix+, uh uh. Don’t see no difference :(

April 26, 2012 at 11:10 am

MAC KLCC used to give me good service. Their SA were less scary. MidValley were the worst. But I haven’t walked into one for a very long time so things might have changed :)

jen April 24, 2012 at 11:39 am

Mine is a skincare brand Pond’s.. It’s popular right? And affordable too! But no matter what I do, or what ever product I buy from the brand, be it facial wash/scrub, moisturizer or whitening I always always breakout.. :/

April 26, 2012 at 11:11 am

Me too!! I haven’t tried anything from Pond’s that really works for me.

Issa April 24, 2012 at 11:42 am

I have a lot of pupular brands that I can’t get into but mostly because I can’t afford them, hihihi….

April 26, 2012 at 11:11 am

LOL Ok name us a couple come on 😉

lazeny April 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm

MAC. I’ve tried only 3 of its lipsticks and I hated it. I’m a makeup artist and I mostly use pro brands like Kryolan & Graftobian, much better quality.

April 26, 2012 at 11:13 am

Thanks for sharing! I’ve heard of Kryolan and Graftobian but since they are pro brands, its harder for consumers to get to them but I hear they are really good stuff especially the Kryolan concealers 😀 I can’t wear MAC lipsticks because I find them too drying but they are extremely popular 😛

Stacey
April 24, 2012 at 12:18 pm

for me, it’s SKII as well. I bought a sample of their FTE to try last year and it broke me out. my face was red and flaming hot for 1 week thanks to SKII. the FTE smells rotten too.

another brand would be shu uemura. nothing has caught my eye so far and between shiseido and shu, i will choose shiseido.

April 26, 2012 at 11:13 am

Eeks! Sorry to hear you had such a bad reaction to the FTE. I hope you managed to get a refund 😛

Angel April 24, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Your entry gets me wondering for a while, Paris, especially SKII. I am not SKII’s user. Just like what you’ve mentioned, every time the TV is on, there will be commercials on it’s products, even in Youtube! I wonder, if the miracles as promised by the product would work or not because you know, my elder brother is a skincare junkie and he has been using SKII for almost 10 years and sometimes, I refuse to believe that it is due to prolonged use to SKII that his skin is oh-near-perfect! He used to have pimples and acnes and uneven skintone too. On top of that, I remember, when I was like 12 or 13, he complained about large pores and now, his pores are not even seen! I was tempted to try their products but somehow, I always change my mind whenever I stand in front of their counters.

April 26, 2012 at 11:15 am

Wow! It sounds like your bro could be a SK2 model 😀 Maybe you could ask your bro to share some with you and see if it works for you instead of shelling out lots of money to find it doesn’t? After all, what are big brothers for eh? hehe… 😉

Sam
April 24, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I actually just clicked a tab closed that offered a MAC sale – I love MAC, but I’m getting too old (and broke) to keep up with all the collections!

I’ve never really been into Clarins (perhaps because their launches are not that big over here), Bobbi Brown (nice, but quite ‘safe’ colours) or Lancome (except Juicy Tubes).

I do have a SKII trial set in my cupboard. I didn’t think it gave good results, but I was probably too impatient.
Sam recently blogged…New books coming up – BloomsburyMy Profile

April 26, 2012 at 11:16 am

I’ve recently gotten into some Clarins products for skincare and they are really quite good. But I think they are a bit slow with marketing. Add to that, they don’t even bring in some of the makeup here and when they do, they don’t give it much hype. Pity. Some of them are really good!

lyn
April 24, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I have many that I can’t get into but I do have a few choice pieces from some. But these brands just don’t attract me much and it’s not because they have bad products, they just don’t appeal to me.

List of brands that don’t get me jumping up and down:
SK2, MAC, Bobbi Brown, Anna Sui, Benefit, most Korean brands, Aveda, Maybelline (except for a few mascaras), Revlon, Burberry (only have one lipstick), Elizabeth Arden, Shu Uemura (only like a few foundations)

There’s actually too many to list! But I don’t want to take up too much space 😉
lyn recently blogged…Having a Ball of a Time with Dior Addict Extreme Lipstick in Black TieMy Profile

April 26, 2012 at 11:17 am

Haha yup! I was trying to get at the brands that don’t appeal. Korean brands don’t appeal to me for the most part too! It was a bit of a waste when I was visiting Korea since I didn’t go mad at every single cosmetics shop like many other people LOL! 😀 Now that you mention Elizabeth Arden, I don’t even know where their counters are! :O

gio April 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm

For me it’s Chanel and Bobbi Brown (although I love their concealers). Their products are so safe and sheer that just don’t appeal to me. I’ve lots interest in MAC too. Their brushes are amazing but they come out with so many collection that you can’t keep up and frankly, it has really started to bore me. Besides, I think they are sacrificing quality for quantity. A lot of their products, such as the eyeshadows, aren’t as good as they used to, and even the shades have become more ordinary and easily dupable lately..
gio recently blogged…Product Review: Sleek Makeup Eau La La Pencils in Bullion, Nutcracker & TonicMy Profile

April 26, 2012 at 11:18 am

Ooh I think so too about MAC! I think they should just pull back and go back to what they do best – good colour makeup. Their brushes are good, I will admit.

S. April 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I loved reading other readers opinion Paris, great post!
I’m not really into Clinique, I often stop at their counters but I rarely buy anything, don’t know why.
I agree with everybody’s opinion about MAC, keeping up with their collections it’s just too much! xx
S. recently blogged…Stay Don’t Stray!My Profile

April 26, 2012 at 11:19 am

Thanks S – I didn’t realise how strongly some people feel about some of the brands out there! 😀 I like some items in Clinique but not the 3Step. That just does not work for me.

ysk
April 24, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I’m not a big fan of cosmetics,so I never try chanel,dior,mac,bobbi brown,shu uemura cosmetics.Clinique,EL and sk ii seem to be around in every corner but I don’t feel like trying them at all,weird..
ysk recently blogged…Random post:My shopping experience with ReebonzMy Profile

April 26, 2012 at 11:20 am

Ah and I thought you were a beauty product buff! 😛

ysk
April 26, 2012 at 11:26 am

I’m a big fan of skincare but not cosmetics coz I think if we take good care of our skin,we don’t have to use tons of makeup on the face :)
ysk recently blogged…Review:Crabtree&Evelyn La Source Foot Spa Collection-Ultra Moisturising Foot Remedy and Intensive Conditioning Foot MaskMy Profile

April 26, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Ah ok that makes sense. I am an advocate of good skincare too.

beetrice
April 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm

A lot of brands just don’t appeal to me – MAC (I’m surprised there’s a lot of people saying the same here!), Bobbi Brown, Biotherm, Burberry (loved them when they first came out, then nothing) Elizabeth Arden and more recently, Lancome. While they’ve got gorgeous collections, it’s just left me feeling a bit…”meh”.
beetrice recently blogged…Budget Manicure with Color Combos – a not-so-bleak winter’s day…My Profile

April 26, 2012 at 11:23 am

I know! I was surprised at the strong feelings about MAC too – I thought we’d see a lot of MAC fans out there. Maybe they just aren’t reading my blog since I don’t feature MAC hehehe… I have to agree with you about Burberry too. I was really keen on the idea of the brand when it came out but they just haven’t quite caught my imagination. The new location of the counter makes it easy to miss too, so I’ve walked past it countless times without even realizing it was there 😛

Jesz April 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm

SKII on top of my list. I tried their famous FTE, it does not show any improvements on me, when feeding back to them, the SA always mentioned that I must use the whole range of their products in order to see the result…whoa, it will definitely burn a big whole in my pocket, hence it’s definite turn off for me. I’m not brand loyal, i.e. never use everything from the same brand, I like to mix & match, whichever way that my skin love it. Next, Shu Uemura, I started to use their cleansing oil few years back, then skin care, they works well on me, I must say I love their cleansing oil, the SAs are also friendly back then =), but lately, I found that their SAs are not so friendly anymore, whenever I walk into their boutique, I can see the SA’s eye with $$ which keep pushing me to buy without concerning my needs…a real turn off, I normally walk straight out with this kind of service. Anyway, this is just personal opinion. =)

April 26, 2012 at 11:24 am

I mix and match my skincare too – don’t believe in using everything from one line (except for whitening products for best effect). I had a bad run in with Shu Uemura recently too so they’re on my “less attention” list now. Pity. They used to have such good stuff!

Swati
April 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Oh, yes!!! I like some products from Body Shop but not all!!! I find them too expensive for their worth. and, there is Lush as well which doesn’t really excite me even when I see awesome products from them!!!
yes, sometimes reformulated products don’t match up to the earlier standards!!! and, that’s just a shame.
Swati recently blogged…Dark and Dull Skin in summers {Reader’s Query}My Profile

April 26, 2012 at 11:25 am

Ooh yes! I can’t use Lush at all and going into their stores give me a headache 😛 I haven’t walked into a Body Shop shop for a very long time now. Their products just don’t interest me anymore :(

Sze Ling April 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm

For me, it’s definitely SK-II. I’ve tried their Facial Treatment Essence once (one year ago), and it way just so-so for me. Not too impressed. I expected more from that price tag.
Sze Ling recently blogged…Lemon MuffinsMy Profile

April 26, 2012 at 11:26 am

Their ads are most certainly effective, I will give them that! So many people I know give in to their curiousity just to “try”. Another one that really got people with their ads was Hada Labo. That adorable “toing” bouncy, springy cheek pat got us all! 😀

Sze Ling April 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm

LOL. Yes, THE “toing” advert. I can’t stop laughing every time I watch it. :p

espenine April 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm

A big loud *YAWN* at MAC cosmetics. :)

April 26, 2012 at 11:26 am

*YAWN*

Bugs April 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’m into skincare and not makeup items…

Being a SK-II user for 5yrs, was very happy it, until recently… 1st it was the price increased. Then, yeah the ads on tv. Got really fed-up with the “toing-toing” and “like tofu” thingy that I’d change channel whenever it’s on… and, I blame them for the price increase and move on.

Wanted to try Guerlain (becoz of PB) but the SA at Isetan Garden was so not interested to serve me with “you can’t afford to buy” look… I was thinking maybe next time I should walk to her with my La Mer or Sisley paper bag with real stuffs in them and see if there’s a different attitute…kakaka ( half dreaming )

I’m not interested to try Estee Lauder, i don’t know why. Tried Kose in my early 20’s, didn’t do much for my skin. Then tried Clinique with same result.

hazel April 25, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I had the same experience with the SA at Guerlain Isetan Gardens. I think we met the same SA..that’s what I call “attitude problem”. It doesn’t mean you must have that ‘rich look’ to buy their stuff.. (*roll eyes*)

April 26, 2012 at 11:28 am

You know what? I think I know which SA you mean at Guerlain Isetan Gardens. I should let the management know about that, because she did put me off too. The older one was quite condescending until I indicated I was there to purchase when she became much more helpful. The younger one was so bad at doing sales, I’ll never buy anything off her ever. She just sat there looking bored at me.

Bugs April 26, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Yes, the SA’s attitude and how they serve are the most important issues whenever I approach a new brand… If they don’t want my money, no prob. I’m sure there are lots of others who want and will serve me nicely for it. ^_^

April 26, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Yup! No one brand is worth all the stress and heartache 😛

fanny April 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Tried SKII before but the product is normal, and brands such as La Mer and Shiseido are expensive products which i stay away and wun even get myself near to the counter.

April 26, 2012 at 11:29 am

Honestly? Shiseido isn’t much more expensive than many other skincare brands out there :) La Mer is just in a different category altogether although Cle de Peau, Sisley and La Prairie really take the cake there 😉

Samantha April 24, 2012 at 4:38 pm

i have not touch Clarins, Bobbi Brown or MAC as well, ntg really caught my eye.
As for skincare, i have to say most Taiwanese sheet mask are just so-so IMO, Korean brands skincare are still not up to mark (innisfree are not worth the try) & the sleeping packs have not worked wonders on my skin either but some brands (Nature Republic, Tony Moly, Skinfood) does produce great sheet mask though. Due to greediness, i still have Tony Moly sleeping pack and some Missha producst which i bought during travelling, hope it is worth it. So far i have great exp with the Shiseido SA that serves me very friendly,helpful & not pushy.

April 26, 2012 at 11:32 am

Its great to know that Shiseido works for you :) I’ve tried a few Korean brands of skincare and makeup but I haven’t been impressed enough to repurchase anything. The sheet masks are generally ok I feel. No real lasting effects but inexpensive for a regular treat :)

Jesz April 27, 2012 at 9:49 am

Agree on those taiwanese & korean sheet mask…no real lasting effects but it’s definitely more affordable to pamper myself more often…haha. I’ve tried sheet mask from SK2, Shu Uemura & Kose, they are much more expenssive yet no real lasting effect for me too =(.

April 27, 2012 at 10:30 am

hahaha! I’ve tried the expensive sheet masks too and think the same way you do. I’d rather just buy a cheap one 😀

Amanda April 24, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Mine are Japanese brands. I guess it’s because they’re not available in this part of the world! Then there are Lancome and Clinique. Right now, I’m still loving MAC, MUFE, Bobbi Brown (for concealers), YSL and Chanel for their lipsticks 😉

April 26, 2012 at 11:34 am

Mmm… YSL lipsticks are divine! I’m eyeing that new liquid lipstick and will need to travel just to have a look at it LOL! Or beg a friend 😛 I think Japanese brands fall under the radar of most, because they do appeal to only a particular style and not everyone likes that ethereal, shimmery look 😉

Liz April 24, 2012 at 6:40 pm

My first makeup brand was MAC and I thought the relationship would last forever but I came to a stage where I started to dislike wearing makeup that made me look like I’m wearing makeup. Get it? XD

I also started patronising Asian brands since I can identify myself to it so western brands no longer appeal to me. My makeup has always been simple, just BB cream or powder foundation with the occasional blush so I always stuck to Shiseido Maquillage, SK-II and Laneige. I haven’t exactly ignored western brands since all my lipsticks are Dior but that’s only because I thought Kate Moss totally sold it.

I would say that a popular cosmetics brands that I can’t get into is Lancome but that’s mainly because having Julia Roberts in their ads puts me off for some reason and the photoshop seems obvious. I also couldn’t be bothered with Clinique since their print ads never appeal to me. I thought it was creative and interesting but I would still prefer to see a product on a face (famous or not) to make me want to buy it.

April 26, 2012 at 11:37 am

HAHA yes yes I totally get you 😀 The Japanese and Asian brands are good for giving us makeup that doesn’t look like makeup on the skin. I really like that because its just me but better! 😀 I think most brands rely too heavily on photoshop 😛 The new Lancome ad with Emma Watson for their whitening serum put me quite off. No real person would glow like that 😛

Naomi
April 24, 2012 at 9:06 pm

For me it is MAC. I don’t know if it is the price, or the name, but there is something about it that keeps me from actually buying one of their products. I have heard so many fantastic things about MAC (especially about their brushes!).

Maybe someone will be able to convince me otherwise :)

Michelle Beh April 24, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Im not into Clinique, SK2 and Chanel. I just could not get used to these brands’ products :( Too bad!!

Sunny
April 24, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Hmm brands that I can’t get into… Estee Lauder would be one. I just haven’t seen anything from them that I’ve GOT to have. Lush, because it makes me sneeze, Biotherm because I just didn’t have good experience with their products. I try to stay open-minded, but sometimes after some failed experiment I become a little skeptical :p
Sunny recently blogged…Sunny Turns 28, Mostly Sunny Turns 6-month Old. A big Thank-you and a BIG Dior, Guerlain, & NARS Giveaway (300+ Euros in Value)!My Profile

April 26, 2012 at 11:42 am

I agree with you Sunny 😀 We want to try everything but when we don’t have a good experience, it puts us off right? I do think Estee Lauder has improved in terms of makeup although I still can’t use all their skincare except the ANR which I love. I thought I might like Lush but nope. I can smell the shop from a mile away and it puts me off (thank goodness we don’t have one here yet!)

Juan
April 24, 2012 at 9:33 pm

same here – SKII. i seriously do not understand why they don’t work for me yet work amazingly on already gorgeous artistes! ;P

never tried mac though. never tried laura mercier, never tried what’s that freakingly expensive marine brand… aahhh la mer.

i used to love bobbi brown’s hydrating toner. i don’t think it works that much in hydrating my skin but i love it for the simple packaging and nice scent.
Juan recently blogged…Anti-acne supplements from Clarins, Mario Badescu & Sothys – would they help?My Profile

April 26, 2012 at 11:43 am

Oh yeah, Laura Mercier falls off my radar too! I tried one or two products but they didn’t wow me. The tinted moisturizer is quite good though. I quite like that one.

trah April 24, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I’m not the sort who’s particular on brand names, but rather on suitability. I have sensitive skin so I don’t mind buying inexpensive brands that works for me after years of use even if my purchasing power has increased. I am much more indulgent when it comes to skin care products than make-up though.

SK-II is tricky because I noticed it works only for certain people. For some people, it may work for few months but becomes ineffective afterwards or it may suit another perfectly. Since SK-II is made of yeast, my uncle gave me ‘ragi’- a special yeast to make rice wine mixed with dried chopped pandan leaves as mask when I was in high school. It worked for few months but my pimples returned, so I think I will have the same experience with SK-II.

Does anyone else use aspirin mask? I love how smooth and brighter my face look every time I do it. Are you also using any home remedies, Paris? I find avacado hair mask very messy and cucumber face mask feels luxurious during a weekend while reading a book (I do feel bad sometimes because it kinda of a waste of food, haha)

April 26, 2012 at 11:46 am

I used to use the Aspirin mask but no longer, mainly because I stopped having dramatic breakouts and I use other clarifying masks that work just as well :) I don’t use home remedies for skincare mostly because I find them messy and not as effective as I might like. I think sometimes, that home remedies are great because they are more gentle, but sometimes, I need something that is a bit more complex for it to really work. I guess its just me – Other than working with furniture and improvising household stuff, I’m not very much into DIY skincare 😀

Lisa April 24, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Sk II, clarins, laneige, Mac , shu uemura and lately Bobbi brown, lunasol, shiseido, kose and Dior.

April 26, 2012 at 11:47 am

Aww… Lunasol! 😀 They fell off my radar a while ago but got back on. Its in danger of falling back off though hehe…

Connie De Alwis
April 24, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Ehhhhh…… Most Asian brands just goes whoosh past me but the worst would be Laneige. It’s an up and coming brand but I’m yet to find anything that I like from the brand. Even the coveted hydra mask thingy was meh on me *shrugs*
However, there were brands that did surprise me ie. I never thought I’d like anything from that brand such as Ettusais and Shiseido.

Oh, Estee Lauder, Chanel and many many others whoosh past me as well.

April 26, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Hmm Laneige is one of them too. When I try some products, I quite like it, but I don’t actively seek them out

rudi April 25, 2012 at 12:47 am

SKII – their FTE not only was meh for me but a big URGGGGHHH and their SAs do not know the meaning of customer service which is another big no-no to me.

Estee Lauder & Clinique – both skincare and makeup, I will not voluntarily use.

April 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I had a SK2 SA look incredulous when I told her once that I was using La Mer (at that time) I don’t know if it was because of the condition of my skin then (bad) or my age but I thought it was extremely rude. I never went back to her counter.

pawprints April 25, 2012 at 11:18 am

I thought Laura Mercier is quite hyped up but I think you have not reviewed any of their products before? Have you tried them because I really want to know what you think of their products. And also can you please do a review on Bobbi Brown’s Shimmerbricks please? Thanks =)

April 26, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I tend to overlook Laura Mercier personally :) I have tried their tinted moisturiser and one Silk Road face palette before this. The tinted moisturiser was quite good but the colour cosmetics really disappointed me. I will try to dig out what I have left of the BB Shimmerbricks. I gave away most of mine but kept maybe one 😛

Kate April 25, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Just like you, SK-II and MAC just doesn’t attract me haha. MAC probably cause they roll out too many products that it can be hard to keep up. Not to mention, most of it is limited edition so you’re like pressed to get it fast or not at all.
Also, nothing turns me off a brand more than the (lack of) service level of the BA, despite how many star products the brand has. 😀

April 26, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I have to agree! I do not frequent counters where I’ve had bad service from the BAs no matter how good the products are.

Shija April 25, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Definitely SK II, Lancome, Paul & Joe, Clinique, Kanebo, Kose , Talika – say whatever, it doesn’t bother me. But I Love Love Love Estee Lauder, Mac, Dior, MUFE, Urban decay, Chanel, Clarins, Elizabeth Arden & Too Faced. Wished could have more $$$ to buy more more goodies from these brands.. ( although i have 6 drawers full of it but still don’t get enough) :)..

April 26, 2012 at 4:18 pm

haha join the club! I think every single woman here can understand how you feel about wanting more and more hehe… 😉

Shay April 28, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I have a drawer full of make up and another + a shelf full of skincare. So I am not buying anymore until something runs out.

Actually I don’t have much stuff from the big brands eg Chanel, Dior, etc. I much rather go for cult products. Just to find out what it is all about. And also, most times I can’t justify the heavy price tags for them.

Recently, I have been using liquid/cream/gel makeup as I go to the gym before work. I have 2 sets of makeup pouches. One to deposit at a gym club nearer to work where I have a locker. Another I bring along in my bag to another gym club which I have no locker. Both bags contained used products. To my amazement, besides mascara, there are no products which requires replacement even after 5 months of going to the gym about 4 workdays a week.

Sigh, don’t think i would be buying any makeup (except mascara) soon. Even after I have gone through these liquid/cream/gel products, I still have the powder ones.

Lorraine May 17, 2012 at 1:26 am

I just can’t get into Lush cosmetics/beauty products: they promise so much for so little and I’ve tried about 10 different products from them. It’s nice to be “organic” but effectiveness should be a priority as well and their products are a bit costly :C

May 17, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I can’t get into Lush either. The few times I went into the store, I end up with a headache. There’s only 1 item I like – Happy Hippy but I can’t brave the store for that 😛

Elaine May 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I hardly buy anything from Estee Lauder & Clinique.. The products don’t appeal much to me. I am more a Japanese makeup lover and some Dior, Chanel. :)