Your Say: Is there a popular cosmetics brand that you just can’t get into?

in Discussions

popular brands Your Say: Is there a popular cosmetics brand that you just cant get into?

Ladies, we get bombarded left and right everyday through advertising. Lately, whenever I watch TV (only terrestrial channels) I’ve noticed popular skincare brand SK-II stepping up their commercial game. I can’t watch TV without once seeing their ad for the Facial Treatment Essence of the Cellumination Pixel White essence.

I am however, quite immune to the brand, popular as it is. Nothing they say could even vaguely pique my interest or get me to use the products. I used to use the products so I can speak from experience. I just could not get into it at all which is why I wavered and looked elsewhere. Ditto MAC Cosmetics. Try as I might (and I have been trying especially hard in these past 2 years), it is not a brand that interests me at all. Sorry, lovers of MAC. I just can’t!

I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling this so I’m curious if most of you have this sort of numbness towards some popular cosmetics brands too?

For myself, SK-II and MAC are the 2 primary very big, very popular brands out there amongst the skincare users and makeup users, that I hit a blind spot with and just can’t get into.

I never bought into Bobbi Brown either. The main reason I think is because I started out loving bright colours and Bobbi Brown just didn’t have what I wanted. By the time I mellowed and started looking into neutral colours, there were so many other options out there. I did use to collect the Shimmerbricks (had so many!) and I would love to get to know more about the brand because it would appear that they have some gems in their profile but I haven’t quite sussed out what.

Recently for me, Shu Uemura has also started to hit my blind spot. I was a huge huge fan of the brand when I started out more than 5 years ago. HUGE! I had so many of their eyeshadow singles and blushes because they were just amazing stuff. But with their most recent reformulations, I just felt they weren’t quite up to the standard I was used to anymore.

Oh and there’s Chanel too. I know they have their legion of fans – blogs are afire with every new Chanel release – but I haven’t been able to drum up enough interest to even take a look until its too late and the collection is sold out (bad blogger! icon razz Your Say: Is there a popular cosmetics brand that you just cant get into? ) Its certainly strange, considering I used to be a huge fan of their products before this.

These are just a few of the popular brands out there that I just can’t get into. I do still keep an eye on Chanel releases because some remnants of the interest remains. But I can safely say that SK-II and MAC definitely hit my blind spot. I guess that explains why you never see much if anything from those brands on my blog icon biggrin Your Say: Is there a popular cosmetics brand that you just cant get into?

Your Say: Is there a popular cosmetics brand that you just can’t get into? Is there a reason why or is it just general indifference? In my case, as far as SK-II and MAC are concerned, its just general indifference.

Tracy April 24, 2012 at 8:52 am

I’m like that with MAC lately too-I have a few staples that I love, but the new collections I’ve lost interest. Chanel-it depends for me. Same with Dior too-I’m not a fan of their eye palettes for some reason, but I love the bronzers they have. I think I’m just not a one brand kind of girl, although if I was going to stick to just one, it’d be Burberry or Guerlain I think.

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 10:47 am

I think MAC is killing it by going overboard in their limited edition releases every month. I don’t even know how/why they are doing it. Well actually I do. People buy into it don’t they? :P I like Dior eye palettes :D But then, I do like that sheer colour they tend to have, and their blushes! Don’t forget them ;)

Tine April 24, 2012 at 8:57 am

MAC for me, definitely. I’ve tried the very popular SKII facial treatment essence and found it quite meh. Have not tried anything else in the brand but that’s more due to lack of funds than not liking anything else from it :)

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 10:47 am

I used to be an SK2 user. Up and down the whole skincare line. Burnt a giant hole in my wallet and saw no real improvements so I decided it was all hype and left it. My prejudice does come from experience :D

xin April 24, 2012 at 9:14 am

MAC for me too! mostly because i never like their SAs. And SKII, oh for some reasons they just dont work on me!

hazel April 25, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Same here!!! I don’t like MAC’s SA at all!!! The SA made it sound like he has the best make ups in the world and he tried to match me with the wrong color code when he kept saying I was using the wrong color code from another brand. Just doesn’t work for me!

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 10:48 am

Oh yeah, MAC and their SAs are legendary!

Joy Chong April 24, 2012 at 9:16 am

Definitely a big user of M.A.C being a make-up artist. The eye shadow pigments are great and can last under water for a period of time if applied properly. One brand I’m definitely immune to is SKII as the essence burned my skin for some odd reason. Not into Shiseido & Lancome also. I think its because I have sensitive skin, hence very fearful of skincare that contains high levels of fragrance.

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

Oh I do love MAC pigments too and own a few tubs! But I find that the newer formulations aren’t as good as the older versions. They tend to be powdery when pigments usually aren’t so. I think MAC appeals to makeup artists for the variety and the colours but for the everyday person like me, it is a bit meh especially when they release new collections every week… or so it seems :P

Lindsey April 24, 2012 at 9:19 am

Chanel has never interested me. On top of that, every time I’ve attempted to try Chanel, because of hype, or people saying it would be perfect for what I was looking for, etc., I’ve encountered horribly rude SAs. Even worse than the average MAC one. So that’s always turned me off, too.

Joy Chong April 24, 2012 at 10:40 am

I know right? they can be seriously arrogant sometimes. Have not experinced much “attitude” from MAC but mainly because I just go in and tell them what I want and walk out.

hazel April 25, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I’ve been to a few Chanel counters and I would say the best SA awards goes to a….trans-gender. No joke, ‘her’ service is much pleasant than those arrogant ladies.

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 10:50 am

Yeouch! Rude SAs are most definitely a turn off in any brand. Its what partly turns me off MAC and most recently, Shu Uemura at Pavilion KL. Ugh!

kuri April 24, 2012 at 9:20 am

Yeah, I tend to stay away from brands that I feel are overhyped – they’re good, I’m sure, but kind of boring because of the hype :)

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 10:50 am

Its so….. “common” hehe…

dom April 24, 2012 at 9:26 am

MAC – can’t keep up with any of the collections. Dior is another one, not entirely sure why but it just never comes to mind.

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 10:51 am

Yeah some brands really hit the blind spot don’t they? Chanel does it to me. Hits my blind spot totally for now. I used to really love them :P

Stephanie/Yukaeshi April 24, 2012 at 9:39 am

Hmm. I think mine would be SK-II, MAC, Dior, Lancome and Clinique mainly, for reasons either they don’t attract me, or their products don’t work well for me :( The only thing from Dior that attracts me and works for me is their Dior Addict lippies, though :P As for SK-II, tried their Facial Treatment Essence too (Went through 2 bottles) but nothing at all haha! Oh and I am wary of trying Shu Uemura because most of their products have mineral oil and after trying their Cleansing Oil and broke out from it even more cautious.

Brands that I do like? Chanel and Burberry. Not because they really attract me per se, but mainly because they work for me and don’t break me out! :P

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 10:52 am

I do find that when we’ve had poor run ins or experience with a brand, we tend to overlook it more and more and then one day, we just forget it altogether! Actually Burberry does that to me. I can walk past their counter at Isetan KLCC and not realise it. I think their new location doesn’t quite do them justice :)

Hanny April 24, 2012 at 9:41 am

Quite frankly, it’s the Japanese brands for me, i.e: Shiseido, Kanebo etc. I just don’t know why I prefer Western brands, huhuhu.

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 10:53 am

There’s no reason to prefer one over another :D Western brands tend to be more pigmented, I find and Japanese brands tend to be sheerer and more shimmery and besides, we’re all different with different preferences :D

LeGeeque April 24, 2012 at 10:01 am

I’m just completely meh about everything right now. I go through phases. I was in a phase where I didn’t buy any makeup because I just wanted to finish using up what I have. I think I’m walking down that path now. I’m overwhelmed by all the new releases and new “technology” and I’ve gotten really jaded.

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 10:54 am

Oh yes! I go through those phases too. If not for keeping up with news/releases/products for the blog, I might have burnt out and given up. But now that I blog stuff I like (nevermind that they may be old news) I’m a lot happier :D

Germs April 24, 2012 at 10:14 am

Agree about mac, never really ventured beyond two blushers i have from them! I think i’m weird like that.. The more high profile brands are, the more suspicious i am of their products, hah. SkII does have such a huge cult following though and i may want to try them out in future, but their spokespeople aren’t too convincing hehehe

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:03 am

I think I just can’t relate to the SK2 spokes persons and they are all such high profile people, the cost of hiring them must be staggering! Might explain the prices of the products hehe..

shusheshe April 24, 2012 at 10:22 am

Occasionally I’d a few pieces of Mac eyeshadows, but otherwise I’m kinda meh about them, especially since the last few pieces I bought were a complete bust. My co-workers rave about SKII and Guerlain, but they’re so expensive I can’t see myself buying them anytime soon.

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:04 am

Ooh I have a soft spot for Guerlain :D Some of their products, especially their powders or bases are quite good. Their colour line is a bit touch and go though.

shusheshe April 27, 2012 at 9:42 am

I’ve heard excellent things about Guerlain’s skincare and bases, but they also come with a strong perfume scent that I can’t stand. The same thing with Armani.

Nikki April 24, 2012 at 11:08 am

Definitely SK-II, it has been around even when I was working in China. Girls were flocking the SK-II counter and I was just watching ..and I’ve seen the various commercials too! I would love to give it a try but even if they were right in front of me and are on sale, I don’t know why I just can’t grab at least ONE !

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:05 am

I know right!? When they first launched here, I actually bought everything from the line. As in from cleanser to serum to moisturizer and even sunscreen. Got too expensive to upkeep and had no WOW effect on my skin so I moved on

Sharon April 24, 2012 at 11:20 am

MAC used to be meh for me.. cos their SAs were too stuck up and too b***** for their own and my good. There was an incident where the SA (a guy who acted very feminine-like) laughed at me with his colleagues cos I only bought a concealer. The rest of the experiences werent too impressive too and I sworn off them for quite a long time. Recently I find myself going to them for their eyeshadows especially the pearly finishes ones and was lucky enough to encounter a few friendly ones (one even gave me free samples for foundation:)) and the rest who are not as rude lol..I reckon with MAC, you got to do your homework ie, look up youtube for recommendations for eyeshadows or look at what people are raving about or know what collection they are carrying so you would appear more knowledge and not as clueless. Cos it seems to me that they dont need effort to sell their products as the products sell themselves. The SAs arent very kind to people who dont know what they want or are just browsing. But if you want to look at blushes or eye shadows, they would be able to give some recommendations based on your skintone and preference for finish such as frost or sheen or matte etc. For Bobbi Brown, Shu Uemura, Chanel bad experiences and products that dont work for me. Paul and Joe foundations seems very yellow so am quite on the fence about it.. their eyeglosses look nice on the hands but I dont think they would show up if I were to wear them on my eyelids.Revlon would be a good sub for Bobbi Brown, I feel. Rather Dior than Chanel. Not super crazy about japanese makeup except for mascaras maybe and ZA mascaras and brow pencils do very well (well enough to repurchase with a more affordable price tag) for me . Oh Shiseido and Kose are 2 brands I am looking into and currently am quite pleased :) Well and maybe Lancome too. But always, always, always do homework first especially if venturing into new grounds.

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:08 am

I’d tried quite a few products from MAC – colour, bases etc. I personally think as a product they aren’t bad. But they just don’t appeal to me. Their eyeshadows are the only ones that fade on me which is super weird considering they are so pigmented and all :) The only thing I really like is their Pigments. But recent formulations aren’t impressive or interesting anymore :( I’m looking more and more into Shiseido recently and liking their new products and formula.

Jyoan April 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

haha, I feel that too. I haven’t tried SKII before, and I just can’t and wouldn’t try it. I have heard they are just bacteria eating your skin away, so your skin grows back new and feels like baby skin, but at the expense of making you get sensitive skin, as though you do laser peel non-stop.

I can’t get into Bobbi Brown too. I have their eye corrector duo (cream and concealer), but that really is it. I know their brushes are pretty good, and gel liners. But somehow, I haven’t bought any. I think for BB, it’s the staff. BB Singapore has really stuck off and unfriendly staff, like at every single counter!!!

I am out of Shu Uemura and Shisedo too. Shu Uemura is getting more and more kiddy and sub-standard in terms of image. I have got their curler from 5 years ago though.

I have recently taken into Shisedo because the SA at Tangs Orchard outlet is awesome to the max! She is like the kindest, sweetest, and most gentle SA I’ve met in all these years. (haha, yeah, I got that new Maquillage lipstick. Just one. That’s mad expensive.) But really, she has closed me in on Shisedo.

The reason I prefer Chanel and M.A.C is because the SAs are just so awesome when I approached them as a newbie. Forever friendly and helpful. Dior staff here is horrible too. Nowadays, my M.A.C SA recognizes me… =P so I always patron the same few outlets (they are familiar with me, and me them).

To me, whether I get into a brand or not is of course affected by branding/image, but on top of that, the final call is whether the SAs are good. Whether they are ambassadors of the brand, and truly put in effort to make the customer feel part of the brand. Afterall, the customer is paying a lot for the brand, not just any fish and fruit in the market.

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:09 am

I still go back to Shu Uemura for my curler and brow pencil but that’s about it now. I have been repeatedly disappointed in their eyeshadow and blush formulas recently so I’ve been overlooking them. A recent poor experience with their service was the final nail in the coffin :P I do think that the SAs are very important when it comes to our decisive factor on which brand to go with or try. Sometimes, the SA may make or break a brand but they don’t seem to realize that.

Honey April 24, 2012 at 11:35 am

MAC -somehow have not built up the courage to walk into our local MAC shops. For some reason I feel intimidated. Ha Ha! However have been to various overseas MAC shops and I’m ok. I only have 2 of their items – Fix+ and mineralized skin finish. I do like the mineralized skin finish but the Fix+, uh uh. Don’t see no difference :(

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:10 am

MAC KLCC used to give me good service. Their SA were less scary. MidValley were the worst. But I haven’t walked into one for a very long time so things might have changed :)

jen April 24, 2012 at 11:39 am

Mine is a skincare brand Pond’s.. It’s popular right? And affordable too! But no matter what I do, or what ever product I buy from the brand, be it facial wash/scrub, moisturizer or whitening I always always breakout.. :/

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:11 am

Me too!! I haven’t tried anything from Pond’s that really works for me.

Issa April 24, 2012 at 11:42 am

I have a lot of pupular brands that I can’t get into but mostly because I can’t afford them, hihihi….

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:11 am

LOL Ok name us a couple come on ;)

lazeny April 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm

MAC. I’ve tried only 3 of its lipsticks and I hated it. I’m a makeup artist and I mostly use pro brands like Kryolan & Graftobian, much better quality.

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:13 am

Thanks for sharing! I’ve heard of Kryolan and Graftobian but since they are pro brands, its harder for consumers to get to them but I hear they are really good stuff especially the Kryolan concealers :D I can’t wear MAC lipsticks because I find them too drying but they are extremely popular :P

Stacey April 24, 2012 at 12:18 pm

for me, it’s SKII as well. I bought a sample of their FTE to try last year and it broke me out. my face was red and flaming hot for 1 week thanks to SKII. the FTE smells rotten too.

another brand would be shu uemura. nothing has caught my eye so far and between shiseido and shu, i will choose shiseido.

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:13 am

Eeks! Sorry to hear you had such a bad reaction to the FTE. I hope you managed to get a refund :P

Angel April 24, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Your entry gets me wondering for a while, Paris, especially SKII. I am not SKII’s user. Just like what you’ve mentioned, every time the TV is on, there will be commercials on it’s products, even in Youtube! I wonder, if the miracles as promised by the product would work or not because you know, my elder brother is a skincare junkie and he has been using SKII for almost 10 years and sometimes, I refuse to believe that it is due to prolonged use to SKII that his skin is oh-near-perfect! He used to have pimples and acnes and uneven skintone too. On top of that, I remember, when I was like 12 or 13, he complained about large pores and now, his pores are not even seen! I was tempted to try their products but somehow, I always change my mind whenever I stand in front of their counters.

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:15 am

Wow! It sounds like your bro could be a SK2 model :D Maybe you could ask your bro to share some with you and see if it works for you instead of shelling out lots of money to find it doesn’t? After all, what are big brothers for eh? hehe… ;)

Sam April 24, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I actually just clicked a tab closed that offered a MAC sale – I love MAC, but I’m getting too old (and broke) to keep up with all the collections!

I’ve never really been into Clarins (perhaps because their launches are not that big over here), Bobbi Brown (nice, but quite ‘safe’ colours) or Lancome (except Juicy Tubes).

I do have a SKII trial set in my cupboard. I didn’t think it gave good results, but I was probably too impatient.

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:16 am

I’ve recently gotten into some Clarins products for skincare and they are really quite good. But I think they are a bit slow with marketing. Add to that, they don’t even bring in some of the makeup here and when they do, they don’t give it much hype. Pity. Some of them are really good!

lyn April 24, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I have many that I can’t get into but I do have a few choice pieces from some. But these brands just don’t attract me much and it’s not because they have bad products, they just don’t appeal to me.

List of brands that don’t get me jumping up and down:
SK2, MAC, Bobbi Brown, Anna Sui, Benefit, most Korean brands, Aveda, Maybelline (except for a few mascaras), Revlon, Burberry (only have one lipstick), Elizabeth Arden, Shu Uemura (only like a few foundations)

There’s actually too many to list! But I don’t want to take up too much space ;-)

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:17 am

Haha yup! I was trying to get at the brands that don’t appeal. Korean brands don’t appeal to me for the most part too! It was a bit of a waste when I was visiting Korea since I didn’t go mad at every single cosmetics shop like many other people LOL! :D Now that you mention Elizabeth Arden, I don’t even know where their counters are! :O

gio April 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm

For me it’s Chanel and Bobbi Brown (although I love their concealers). Their products are so safe and sheer that just don’t appeal to me. I’ve lots interest in MAC too. Their brushes are amazing but they come out with so many collection that you can’t keep up and frankly, it has really started to bore me. Besides, I think they are sacrificing quality for quantity. A lot of their products, such as the eyeshadows, aren’t as good as they used to, and even the shades have become more ordinary and easily dupable lately..

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:18 am

Ooh I think so too about MAC! I think they should just pull back and go back to what they do best – good colour makeup. Their brushes are good, I will admit.

S. April 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I loved reading other readers opinion Paris, great post!
I’m not really into Clinique, I often stop at their counters but I rarely buy anything, don’t know why.
I agree with everybody’s opinion about MAC, keeping up with their collections it’s just too much! xx

Paris B April 26, 2012 at 11:19 am

Thanks S – I didn’t realise how strongly some people feel about some of the brands out there! :D I like some items in Clinique but not the 3Step. That just does not work for me.