Your Say: How many products do you use as part of your daily skincare routine?

in Discussions,Musings,Skincare

skincare products Your Say: How many products do you use as part of your daily skincare routine?

I met some people recently, and we got to talking about skincare. We were discussing various products like cleansing oils, serums and toners or lotions. I was mildly surprised (putting it mildly) when the consensus was that including cleansing, the most products the other ladies put on their faces was 3, maybe 4.

I sat there quietly counting in my head the number of products I use, and my brain shut down after 5. At any one time, I use at least 8 products, especially at night. Sometimes, its 9 if I’m doing a mask. I don’t know when was the last time I did 3 or 4 and left it at that.

So, I’m curious. Just how many products do you use in your skincare routine for day and night?

The picture above is what I’m using currently for my night time skincare routine. I double cleanse as a general rule so that’s 2 cleansers. I use a wipe off gel exfoliator thingy, a lotion or face spray, my pre-serum, a serum and then a moisturizer mixed with an oil. Some items may change in terms of brand, but my skin has benefited from this regime and as I’ve been doing this for quite a while now, I don’t intend to stop.

In the day, the list is markedly shorter. A face wash, a facial spray, serum, moisturiser and sunscreen. If I skip the serum, that’s 4 items already.

I’m not saying that less is more or that more is better. There are many schools of thought on this and I subscribe to none. I do what my skin likes and prefers and so long as my skin is happy, I’m happy too. I must say though that ever since I set up this sort of routine, I have been seeing better results on my skin. Does it take me longer? Not really. It never takes me more than a few seconds to pat or apply everything on in any case.

Someone with more problematic skin may benefit from using fewer products. We’re all different. But it would be interesting to know just how many is your optimum number icon smile Your Say: How many products do you use as part of your daily skincare routine?

Your Say: How many products do you use as part of your daily skincare routine?

Sharon April 12, 2012 at 9:00 am

This is my routine:

Day
Simple Cleanser
Simple Toner
Loreal Eye Cream
Korean Day Cream
Makeup

Night
Simple Cleanser
Simple Toner
Loreal Eye Cream
Korean Night Cream

I have oily t-zone & normal cheeks. Not necessarily less means more but the korean cream I’m using has helped my skin healed significantly, i mean no more pimples after! :D Maybe just 1 or 2 occasionally during the time of the month. Also it has fadded the red/dark marks on my skin. I just hate how it has the whitening effect after long term usage BUT as long as the pimple problem doesn’t come back, I’m good to go. There’s always bronzer or darker powder foundations to look tanner. :P

Liz April 12, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Could you put a brand name to this Korean cream? I’m quite intrigued…

Sharon April 13, 2012 at 9:03 am

Hi Liz,

My korean friend told me that it’s read as ‘Bei Ti Cream’ (direct translation). Tried looking at it at Seoul last month but apparently, nobody knows about it! Feels weird coz the whole bottle is written in korean and no english word present and it has the ‘made in s.korea’ sign there. I believe that this is probably an export product not sold in seoul itself.

Got my friend who has a friend (dunno where) who could get it for me cheaper than buying from an auntie salon near my house (her price is too high!).

Note: I have like medium sized pimples on my chin area, areas near my nose, eyebrow area and some on the area between lips and nose. Yes, ugly I know but the cream saved me. :P However, in Dec last year, I stopped using the cream coz i thought my skin has healed and the pimples won’t come back, but boy was i wrong. The pimples came back about 1.5 months later so i had to buy the cream again. Sigh….. but yay for the cream!

April 13, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Its great to know that you found a product that really works for you. Its really hard to navigate the maze of brands and products these days!

Tine
April 12, 2012 at 9:01 am

Three or four? Woah, how about times that by at least two? :P

Let’s see, my day routine – cleanse, tone, 2 serums, moisturiser, sunscreen = 6 steps.
Evening routine – makeup remover (if I’m wearing makeup that day), oil-cleanse, regular cleanse, facial spray, lotion (one of those sticky essence thingies), serum, eye cream, moisturiser = 7/8.

Ta-dah! :D
Tine recently blogged…Bloggie Wednesdays: Making Your Blog Mobile-FriendlyMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I know right? I was so sure they’d just faint dead away if they knew just how many I use each day :P

Joyce April 12, 2012 at 9:04 am

During the night, I use my Sonia Kashuk eye makeup remover to remove all my eye makeup. Then, Neutrogena Rapid Clear Face Wash to remove the rest of my makeup. It removes all my makeup and exfoliates my skin. It has 2% salicylic acid, so you must use a good moisturizer afterwards. If it’s “that time of the month,” then I’ll use my Clinique Mild Toner. Usually, I just apply my Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair eye cream, Lancome Bright Expert Dark Spot Corrector/Radiance Activator as a serum and then my Lancome Bienfait Aqua Vital moisturizer.
Joyce recently blogged…MakeupByJoyce’s Beauty Blog Giveaway 2012 (valued up to $185)My Profile

April 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Sounds like you’ve got your routine down pat! :)

Deeya Cantabile April 12, 2012 at 9:07 am

Morning:
Kiehl’s Oil-Free Ultra Facial Cleanser
Clinique Derma White Clinical Brightening Essence
Origins Make A Difference Skin Rejuvenating Treatment
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock

Night:
Neutrogena Deep Clean Cleansing Lotion
Soap & Glory Scrub Your Nose In It(optional)
Kiehl’s Oil-Free Ultra Facial Cleanser
L’Occitane Angelica Face Toner(optional)
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eye

Whoa!
I didn’t realize that I’ve been using so much skincare
products until I finally list them down.
I’m 21 and I have oily, non acne-prone skin
but I do feel that my skin needs extra hydration sometimes :)
So, mine is 9!

April 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Thanks for sharing! You’re using a lot of similar things I’m using or have used too :D Its so fun to see what other people use as part of their daily skincare routine.

rinnah
April 12, 2012 at 9:21 am

*timidly raises hand* I’m one of those for whom less is better for my easily irritated skin. At one point of time in my life, my skincare regime was just wash with water and nothing else because my skin wouldn’t suffer to have anything on. >.<

Lately I've had some luck *touch wood* and I'm finding that my skin is 'tolerating' what I use so maybe I'll slowly start adding on – currently the count stands at 2/3 products max. A cleanser and a serum (maybe an additional moisturizer if I feel my skin is really dry). That's it. :P

April 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Well its not the number of products that matter, its what they do for you! Its good to know that things are looking up in the skin department. Will keep fingers crossed that it improves :)

Hanny

Cleanse
(Clay mask once a week)
Tone
Serum
Moisturize

So… I’m a skincare minimalist HAHAHAHa~
Hanny recently blogged…Week In Photos: Week 8 and 9! (Hanny’s Ipoh Trips!)My Profile

April 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm

LOL!! Not that minimal compared to a couple of girls here ;)

Issa April 12, 2012 at 9:26 am

Ever since I started reading beauty blogs, my skincare has doubled! :) My night routine is more than the day skincare. I use eye makeup remover, cleansing oil, facial cleanser, serum, eye cream, moisturiser, then on some days I use a mask. So mine is 6/7 … :)

April 13, 2012 at 4:04 pm

My night routine has more stuff too! My day routine is almost minimal by comparison hehe… ;)

Vicky April 12, 2012 at 9:55 am

I m a lazy bum.

Day – Cleanser, Toner, Serum, Mosturizer – finishto

Night – Cleansing Oil, Cleanser, Toner, Serum, Mosturizer – oink oink

April 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Well you’re doing at least 4 so that isn’t very lazy at all ;)

Priscilla April 12, 2012 at 10:01 am

Day :
Cleanser, Moisturizer , BB cream with sunblock

Night:
Cleanser , Serum , moisturizer

But sometimes I don apply anything at night because I tend to see lesser breakouts or oily bumps after I wake up. I don know if its just me or others too.
It really depends.

April 13, 2012 at 4:11 pm

For those with very sensitive skin, I’ve read that not applying anything helps. But its been a very long time since I applied nothing on my face :)

April 12, 2012 at 10:01 am

Ok. I feel like I’m using heaps but it works for my skin
Day:
Milk cleanser, toner, pre-serum for eyes, pre-serum for face, eye cream, face serum, moisturizer, sunscreen (8)
Night:
Makeup remover for face, makeup remover for eyes, milk cleanser, foam cleanser, toner, pre-serum for face, face serum (x2), pre-serum for eyes, eye cream, moisturiser (11!!)
I need the extra foam cleanser to make sure face is clean. If I skip, I do find a few bumps here and there. Looks like I’m using lots but hey, it works and I see my skin improving. I’ve only added the pre-serums (Dior one essential) recently but I do see a marked difference in the appearance of my bare skin.
Is it too much? I don’t particularly bother about the number as long as my face agrees with it :-)
Lily recently blogged…Do you use remover for your lips? Kanebo Lip Fresh to the testMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Wow, that’s a lot of remover there hehe… I don’t really use a milk cleanser anymore because it never feels clean to me. I did like the Neutrogena one the last time I used one though its been a while. I do sometimes use a milk cleanser in the mornings and that’s quite nice :) I don’t think there is too much or too little. Its what our skin can tolerate that’s more important :)

Isabel April 12, 2012 at 10:06 am

Interesting topic! At the moment:
Day
Foam cleanser
Origins Make A Difference serum
Origins Make A Difference treatment
Caudalie Pulpe Vitaminée Eye and Lip Cream (trial-ing)
Origins sunscreen SPF25
Skin 79 Hot Pink BB cream (I put this in because it’s supposed to be “skin care” as well)

Night
Make up remover
Foam cleanser
Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum (Anti-Dark Skin Spot Treatment)
Origins Make A Difference Moisturizer / Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery (I alternate)
Strivectin eye cream

I wonder if everyone takes application down to the neck? I do but strangely enough, the girls at the Origins counter where I buy my stuff appear surprised when I tell them that I do that. Granted I don’t use all the skincare products on my neck but I definitely take the moisturizer down all the way and I buy a cheaper serum for the neck (such as something from Olay or Loreal).

April 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I do! Take it down to the neck I mean :D So every skincare step means my neck gets serumed and moisturized too – I figure I’d kill 2 birds with one stone and not mess with a separate neck cream :P

Grace April 12, 2012 at 10:16 am

Day
LANEIGE Foam Cleaner Moisture
LANEIGE Power Essential Refiner_Light
LANEIGE Balancing Emulsion_Moisture
LANEIGE Water Bank Essence
LANEIGE Water Bank Gel Cream

Night
SHU UEMUERA Cleansing Oil
LANEIGE Foam Cleaner Moisture
LANEIGE Multiberry Yogurt Peeling Gel (optional)
LANEIGE Power Essential Refiner_Light
LANEIGE Balancing Emulsion_Moisture
LANEIGE Water Bank Essence
LANEIGE Water Bank Gel Cream
LANEIGE Water Sleeping Pack_EX

April 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Wow! That’s a lot of Laneige :D I like the Sleeping Pack. I’m almost finished with my tub :D

Grace April 13, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I experienced a bad breakout that lasted me for good 3 years.
After that I got a super sensitive skin (sensitized skin according to beautician)
That happened because I used the wrong product…

Note: before the breakout I had perfect skin that I only use plain water to rinse my face

Switched to LANEIGE then it gradually improved my condition.
Yeah! I love the sleeping pack too.
Recently bought the LANEIGE multiberry yogurt repair pack.

It was good!… you ask for a sample ;)

April 17, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Awesome to know that Laneige works for you! I haven’t tried that Multiberry yogurt pack thing. I hear lots of raves for it – will try to snag a sample some time :)

shusheshe
April 12, 2012 at 10:16 am

Oh well…I actually use a lot?!? And this is my spring/fall routine..in the winter when it’s dryer or summer when it’s hotter I’ll switch some things up to adjust.

Day:
Estee Lauder Foaming Cleanser, Hada Labo toner, Elizabeth Arden Prevage serum, estee lauder idealist serum, Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Plump eye cream, murad oil control mattifier (on the T-zone), L’Oreal Hydrafresh Moisturizer, Bobbi Brown Extra Repair Moisturizing Balm SPF 25 (cheeks only where it’s dry)

Night:
Shuu Uemura Cleansing Oil, Mandom Cleansing Express Eye/Lip makeup remover, Hada Labo toner, Elizabeth Arden Prevage serum, estee lauder idealist serum, Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream, Bobbi Brown Hydrating Face Cream, Naruko T-tree oil night gelly (twice a week)

April 13, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Haha I think by comparison to everyone here, that’s practically normal :D The only thing I’m lax with is eye cream. I’m really bad about using one :P

Kim April 12, 2012 at 10:36 am

Mine is minimal, cos I had skin allergy attack late last year. This was after I started using more products – mostly chemical-free organic type too! I was even allergic to brands like Esmeria, Soapy (bar soap) and Stemorganics.
After consulting the dermatologist, I cut down everything down to the bare minimal. Now it’s just cleanser (Cetaphil), moisturiser day and night (Madara), SPF sunscreen (Dermorganics) and eye cream (Madara). It’s been 3 months and so far, skin has normalised. And since it has worked relatively well, am inclined to stick with it to avoid recurrence of allergy.
Occasional use would be Sukin face scrub and Darphin for mask.

April 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Actually, I’ve learnt the hard way that products that are natural or organic can be really harsh for me too. So I am usually a little wary. Its good to know that your current regime works for you now. It looks like a nice compact one and Madara moisturizer is pretty good stuff!

Del April 12, 2012 at 10:41 am

Day :
I just rinse my face with warm water and then put on moisturizer and sunscreen.
Moisturizer: Nuxe Nirvanesque
Sunscreen: if it’s a cloudy day, I just use Origins Vitazing with spf 15, if it’s super sunny, I use Clarins ‘UV Plus HP’ spf40

Night:
Neutrogena makeup remover wipes when I’m lazy /or Decleor Aroma cleanser when I’m being gentle on my skin
Dermalogica daily microfoliant
La Mer eyebalm intense
Creme de La Mer moisturizing cream.

I’m still searching for a good serum. Would you recommend the ones you are using ? I can’t really make out what they are on your photo…

Thanks!

April 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm

The serums in the photo are Dior One Essential, REN Radiance Perfecting Serum and Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate. Much depends on what you want your serums to do. The Dior One Essential is a pre-serum to be used before serums and moisturisers (review). The REN one is for radiance and its been about 2 weeks and I quite like it. They work well for me :)

Rakanishu April 12, 2012 at 10:51 am

Am:

– Shiseido Men Cleansing Foam
– Shiseido Men Shaving Cream
– Shiseido Men Hydrating Lotion
– Shiseido Anessa Perfect UV SPF 50+ PA+++/Anessa Milky Sunscreen (Town Use) SPF 32 PA+++
– Shiseido Men Anti Shine Refresher (T-zone only)

PM:

– Shiseido Men Cleansing Foam
– Shiseido Men Moisturizing Emulsion/Laneige Homme Sleeping Pack.

I keep things simple. I don’t want to take more than 15mins to get ready in d morning. There r a few products i didn’t include in the list but I tend to use them only occasionally. So far this has been my regime for more than a year and it works pretty well for me :)

April 13, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Its always nice to see a man take care of his skin! And it looks like Shiseido works very well for you!

Ju April 12, 2012 at 11:05 am

Morning:
Cetaphil daily cleanser
Ampoule
Blackhead serum (t zone)
Anti aging serum (forehead and laugh lines)
Hydration serum (all over face)
Moisturizer
Primer
Sunscreen

Night:
Milk cleanser
Cetaphil daily cleanser
Toner
Ampoule
Blackhead serum
Whitening serum
Moisturizer

I know, I know… I might be over doing it. But it works for my skin so I am continuing this routine. I rarely put on make up. If I do, I have two additional steps for removal…

April 13, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Actually, I don’t think that is very much and if it works for our skins, who cares what others think :) I am quite curious though about the Ampoule you listed in both day and night routines. What ampoules are those?

Ju April 13, 2012 at 9:47 pm

After reading what the other ladies’ replies, I think my routine is just fine and dandy… Hahaha.

The ampoules are from Phytoderm and Ceutical. Bought them from Vanity Talk. Really love them. Even my sisters and cousins are using them now, after letting me be the guinea pig!

April 17, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Ahh thanks for the ampoule info. I was wondering what they were :D

txsh April 12, 2012 at 11:06 am

wow,i use alot products too
i’ve heard from some BA that it’s better that there are less than 3 brands of skincare products in your routine?

day: cleanser,toner,serum,moisturizer, sunblock > makeup blablabla
night: cleansing lotion,cleanser/scrub,toner,serums(x2),moisturizer,sleeping mask(putting it almost every night,unless i’m applying wash-off mask or watevas that night) @_@

April 13, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I think there are many schools of thought on this. Some say you only need 3, some say you can layer more. It depends on the skincare, your skin tolerance and your preference as far as I’m concerned. I am not quite fussed about it.

Gin April 12, 2012 at 11:26 am

I used to use serumS on my face but I found that they clog my pores… My pores are super easily clogged… Hence currently I have stopped using serum.
So I
1. double cleanse with aqualabel oil cleansing (very good product!!! *love*) and hadalabo Hyaluronic face wash
2. avene mist (great great thing)
3. toner
4. Neutrogena hydroboost moisturizer
5. Khiel midnight serum (around eyes)
6. Strivectin eye cream
7. Naruko night eye jelly

5. Sunblock

April 13, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Sorry to hear that serums clog your pores. I guess it might be the ingredients in there. Still, it looks like you have your regime down pat so there’s no real need to change anything up is there? ;)

Applegal April 12, 2012 at 11:42 am

Alamak! Saya ada banyak la! Tapi I noticed everyone else has a lot too, hee hee!

Day: Avene milk cleanser, Eucerin toner, Pevonia Botanica sensitive skin serum (finishing already), Pevonia moisturiser, Shiseido eye cream, Australian Cancer Council sunblock, then make up.

Night: Shu Uemura cleansing oil, La Mer cleanser (sample), same toner, serum, moisturiser and eye cream, but I put on Pevonia essential oil before moisturiser. For the time being I’m putting off my Murad’s until some scars of mine clear up.

Applegal April 12, 2012 at 11:43 am

Forgot the Avene mist day and nighit

April 13, 2012 at 4:32 pm

LOL!! Yes indeed! It would appear we are all skincare junkies down here so come and join the party!

ysk
April 12, 2012 at 11:46 am

Day:cleanser,toner,eye gel,serum,moisturizer,sunblock(sometimes will skip serum)

Night:makeup remover,cleanser,Activator,toner,eye cream,serum,serum(double serum),moisturizer.scary!(sometimes will skip Activator)
ysk recently blogged…Review+Tutorial:L’Oréal White Perfect Micro Vibration 3in1 Eye BrightenerMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Aww I don’t think that’s very scary at all :) So many of us here have a long list of skincare we use daily too!

Renee
April 12, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Wow! You guys, my skincare routine is kinda lame compared to all of yours haha. I use the same two products, morning and night: Clinique Facial Lotion and Dramatically Different Moisturizer after. And if I go out I add in Clarins HP sunscreen.

I feel like I should start with anti-aging now (prevention is better than cure I suppose!), but my skin seems to behave the less I put on it!

I spot REN – how is REN? My best friend raves about the brand.
Renee recently blogged…The Oil-Cleansing MethodMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I think those who have very sensitive skin will react better if they use less products. I can’t use both the Clinique products you mentioned though. As for REN I think their products are not bad, based on the ones I’ve tried anyway. They are supposed to be more natural but that again is debatable depending on the school of thought one subscribes to. The one in the picture is a Radiance Perfecting Serum and I wasn’t sure what to expect of it, but I think its quite good! My skin looks brighter and better and it was unexpected :)

aLeesha April 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm

this is my current skincare routine:

Day
– cleanser : LUSH angel on bare skin
– toner : Lancome tonique
– serum : Lancome genifique + Lancome visionnaire
– moisturizer : Lancome genifique day cream
– SPF : Chanel SPF 50

Night
– cleanser : Soy Fresh + Clarisonic
– toner : Lancome tonique
– serum : Lancome genifique + Lancome visionnaire / Estee ANR
– moisturizer : Lancome genifique night cream
– eye cream : Lancome genifique eye cream / Estee ANR Eye cream
– mask : Dior one essential / Sisley black rose / Laneige sleeping pack

April 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Ooh I see you use the Dior One Essential mask too! How do you like it? I just bought it and am planning to use it this weekend :D I also see that you use a lot of Lancome too! I couldn’t use Genifique serum because it broke me out but I’m going to try to give Visionnaire a go.

aLeesha April 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I love love love the one essential mask.. It makes my complexion plumper and softer too.. not to mention slightly brighter. I’m using up my Lancôme deluxe sample my sister got me before finishing up my cle de peau beauty regime :)

Do try the visionnaire!! My mum’s swears by it and that what makes me wanna try.. to date I love the evenness of my complexion. Hope this helps!

April 13, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Eeeps! I’m so excited about using the mask now hehe… I already use the serum and I swear its doing wonders for me skin. I love it! I’ve also heard alot of good thing things about Visionnaire. I’m wondering though if I should swap out my Dior One Essential for Visionnaire since they essentially do similar things … well almost. We’ll see! ;) Thanks for sharing!

beetrice
April 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm

ooh good one! :D

Daytime – cleanser, 2 serums, moisturiser, sunblock, face spray.

Nighttime – 2 cleansers (separate one for removing eye makeup), lotion, 2 serums, moisturiser, eye cream.

I reckon I use more at night compared to daytime though, but after looking at some of the routines others have shared, I’m thinking mine is quite little! :O
beetrice recently blogged…Fun Dupe for the Ciate Caviar Manicure…My Profile

April 13, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Haha yes! Your list is short by comparison. In fact even mine is short by comparison :D I also use more at night than in the day mostly because I feel that night time is when I do all the replenishing while in the day I don’t want too much on my face lest it all slips off under my makeup :P

Cas April 12, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Mine is very simple

Day: Cleanser then moisturize.

Night: Cleanser followed by toner.

I’m horrible. I know.
Cas recently blogged…Her First CastingMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Hey! Not horrible, just a minimalist :D If it works for you, there’s nothing wrong with it ;) I do notice you don’t use a moisturizer at night and I was wondering why?