Your Say: How many products do you use as part of your daily skincare routine?

in Discussions,Musings,Skincare

how many skincare products do you use?

I met some people recently, and we got to talking about skincare. We were discussing various products like cleansing oils, serums and toners or lotions. I was mildly surprised (putting it mildly) when the consensus was that including cleansing, the most products the other ladies put on their faces was 3, maybe 4.

I sat there quietly counting in my head the number of products I use, and my brain shut down after 5. At any one time, I use at least 8 products, especially at night. Sometimes, its 9 if I’m doing a mask. I don’t know when was the last time I did 3 or 4 and left it at that.

So, I’m curious. Just how many products do you use in your skincare routine for day and night?

The picture above is what I’m using currently for my night time skincare routine. I double cleanse as a general rule so that’s 2 cleansers. I use a wipe off gel exfoliator thingy, a lotion or face spray, my pre-serum, a serum and then a moisturizer mixed with an oil. Some items may change in terms of brand, but my skin has benefited from this regime and as I’ve been doing this for quite a while now, I don’t intend to stop.

In the day, the list is markedly shorter. A face wash, a facial spray, serum, moisturiser and sunscreen. If I skip the serum, that’s 4 items already.

I’m not saying that less is more or that more is better. There are many schools of thought on this and I subscribe to none. I do what my skin likes and prefers and so long as my skin is happy, I’m happy too. I must say though that ever since I set up this sort of routine, I have been seeing better results on my skin. Does it take me longer? Not really. It never takes me more than a few seconds to pat or apply everything on in any case.

Someone with more problematic skin may benefit from using fewer products. We’re all different. But it would be interesting to know just how many is your optimum number :)

Your Say: How many products do you use as part of your daily skincare routine?

Sharon April 12, 2012 at 9:00 am

This is my routine:

Day
Simple Cleanser
Simple Toner
Loreal Eye Cream
Korean Day Cream
Makeup

Night
Simple Cleanser
Simple Toner
Loreal Eye Cream
Korean Night Cream

I have oily t-zone & normal cheeks. Not necessarily less means more but the korean cream I’m using has helped my skin healed significantly, i mean no more pimples after! 😀 Maybe just 1 or 2 occasionally during the time of the month. Also it has fadded the red/dark marks on my skin. I just hate how it has the whitening effect after long term usage BUT as long as the pimple problem doesn’t come back, I’m good to go. There’s always bronzer or darker powder foundations to look tanner. 😛

Liz April 12, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Could you put a brand name to this Korean cream? I’m quite intrigued…

Sharon April 13, 2012 at 9:03 am

Hi Liz,

My korean friend told me that it’s read as ‘Bei Ti Cream’ (direct translation). Tried looking at it at Seoul last month but apparently, nobody knows about it! Feels weird coz the whole bottle is written in korean and no english word present and it has the ‘made in s.korea’ sign there. I believe that this is probably an export product not sold in seoul itself.

Got my friend who has a friend (dunno where) who could get it for me cheaper than buying from an auntie salon near my house (her price is too high!).

Note: I have like medium sized pimples on my chin area, areas near my nose, eyebrow area and some on the area between lips and nose. Yes, ugly I know but the cream saved me. 😛 However, in Dec last year, I stopped using the cream coz i thought my skin has healed and the pimples won’t come back, but boy was i wrong. The pimples came back about 1.5 months later so i had to buy the cream again. Sigh….. but yay for the cream!

April 13, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Its great to know that you found a product that really works for you. Its really hard to navigate the maze of brands and products these days!

Tine
April 12, 2012 at 9:01 am

Three or four? Woah, how about times that by at least two? 😛

Let’s see, my day routine – cleanse, tone, 2 serums, moisturiser, sunscreen = 6 steps.
Evening routine – makeup remover (if I’m wearing makeup that day), oil-cleanse, regular cleanse, facial spray, lotion (one of those sticky essence thingies), serum, eye cream, moisturiser = 7/8.

Ta-dah! 😀
Tine recently blogged…Bloggie Wednesdays: Making Your Blog Mobile-FriendlyMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I know right? I was so sure they’d just faint dead away if they knew just how many I use each day 😛

Joyce April 12, 2012 at 9:04 am

During the night, I use my Sonia Kashuk eye makeup remover to remove all my eye makeup. Then, Neutrogena Rapid Clear Face Wash to remove the rest of my makeup. It removes all my makeup and exfoliates my skin. It has 2% salicylic acid, so you must use a good moisturizer afterwards. If it’s “that time of the month,” then I’ll use my Clinique Mild Toner. Usually, I just apply my Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair eye cream, Lancome Bright Expert Dark Spot Corrector/Radiance Activator as a serum and then my Lancome Bienfait Aqua Vital moisturizer.
Joyce recently blogged…MakeupByJoyce’s Beauty Blog Giveaway 2012 (valued up to $185)My Profile

April 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Sounds like you’ve got your routine down pat! :)

Deeya Cantabile April 12, 2012 at 9:07 am

Morning:
Kiehl’s Oil-Free Ultra Facial Cleanser
Clinique Derma White Clinical Brightening Essence
Origins Make A Difference Skin Rejuvenating Treatment
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock

Neutrogena Deep Clean Cleansing Lotion
Soap & Glory Scrub Your Nose In It(optional)
Kiehl’s Oil-Free Ultra Facial Cleanser
L’Occitane Angelica Face Toner(optional)
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eye

Whoa!
I didn’t realize that I’ve been using so much skincare
products until I finally list them down.
I’m 21 and I have oily, non acne-prone skin
but I do feel that my skin needs extra hydration sometimes :)
So, mine is 9!

April 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Thanks for sharing! You’re using a lot of similar things I’m using or have used too 😀 Its so fun to see what other people use as part of their daily skincare routine.

rinnah
April 12, 2012 at 9:21 am

*timidly raises hand* I’m one of those for whom less is better for my easily irritated skin. At one point of time in my life, my skincare regime was just wash with water and nothing else because my skin wouldn’t suffer to have anything on. >.<

Lately I've had some luck *touch wood* and I'm finding that my skin is 'tolerating' what I use so maybe I'll slowly start adding on – currently the count stands at 2/3 products max. A cleanser and a serum (maybe an additional moisturizer if I feel my skin is really dry). That's it. 😛

April 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Well its not the number of products that matter, its what they do for you! Its good to know that things are looking up in the skin department. Will keep fingers crossed that it improves :)

Hanny
April 12, 2012 at 9:24 am

Cleanse
(Scrub twice a week)
Tone
Serum
Moisturize
Sunscreen

Cleanse
(Clay mask once a week)
Tone
Serum
Moisturize

So… I’m a skincare minimalist HAHAHAHa~
Hanny recently blogged…Week In Photos: Week 8 and 9! (Hanny’s Ipoh Trips!)My Profile

April 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm

LOL!! Not that minimal compared to a couple of girls here 😉

Issa April 12, 2012 at 9:26 am

Ever since I started reading beauty blogs, my skincare has doubled! :) My night routine is more than the day skincare. I use eye makeup remover, cleansing oil, facial cleanser, serum, eye cream, moisturiser, then on some days I use a mask. So mine is 6/7 … :)

April 13, 2012 at 4:04 pm

My night routine has more stuff too! My day routine is almost minimal by comparison hehe… 😉

Vicky April 12, 2012 at 9:55 am

I m a lazy bum.

Day – Cleanser, Toner, Serum, Mosturizer – finishto

Night – Cleansing Oil, Cleanser, Toner, Serum, Mosturizer – oink oink

April 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Well you’re doing at least 4 so that isn’t very lazy at all 😉

Priscilla April 12, 2012 at 10:01 am

Day :
Cleanser, Moisturizer , BB cream with sunblock

Cleanser , Serum , moisturizer

But sometimes I don apply anything at night because I tend to see lesser breakouts or oily bumps after I wake up. I don know if its just me or others too.
It really depends.

April 13, 2012 at 4:11 pm

For those with very sensitive skin, I’ve read that not applying anything helps. But its been a very long time since I applied nothing on my face :)

April 12, 2012 at 10:01 am

Ok. I feel like I’m using heaps but it works for my skin
Day:
Milk cleanser, toner, pre-serum for eyes, pre-serum for face, eye cream, face serum, moisturizer, sunscreen (8)
Night:
Makeup remover for face, makeup remover for eyes, milk cleanser, foam cleanser, toner, pre-serum for face, face serum (x2), pre-serum for eyes, eye cream, moisturiser (11!!)
I need the extra foam cleanser to make sure face is clean. If I skip, I do find a few bumps here and there. Looks like I’m using lots but hey, it works and I see my skin improving. I’ve only added the pre-serums (Dior one essential) recently but I do see a marked difference in the appearance of my bare skin.
Is it too much? I don’t particularly bother about the number as long as my face agrees with it :-)
Lily recently blogged…Do you use remover for your lips? Kanebo Lip Fresh to the testMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Wow, that’s a lot of remover there hehe… I don’t really use a milk cleanser anymore because it never feels clean to me. I did like the Neutrogena one the last time I used one though its been a while. I do sometimes use a milk cleanser in the mornings and that’s quite nice :) I don’t think there is too much or too little. Its what our skin can tolerate that’s more important :)

Isabel April 12, 2012 at 10:06 am

Interesting topic! At the moment:
Day
Foam cleanser
Origins Make A Difference serum
Origins Make A Difference treatment
Caudalie Pulpe Vitaminée Eye and Lip Cream (trial-ing)
Origins sunscreen SPF25
Skin 79 Hot Pink BB cream (I put this in because it’s supposed to be “skin care” as well)

Night
Make up remover
Foam cleanser
Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum (Anti-Dark Skin Spot Treatment)
Origins Make A Difference Moisturizer / Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery (I alternate)
Strivectin eye cream

I wonder if everyone takes application down to the neck? I do but strangely enough, the girls at the Origins counter where I buy my stuff appear surprised when I tell them that I do that. Granted I don’t use all the skincare products on my neck but I definitely take the moisturizer down all the way and I buy a cheaper serum for the neck (such as something from Olay or Loreal).

April 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I do! Take it down to the neck I mean 😀 So every skincare step means my neck gets serumed and moisturized too – I figure I’d kill 2 birds with one stone and not mess with a separate neck cream 😛

Grace April 12, 2012 at 10:16 am

Day
LANEIGE Foam Cleaner Moisture
LANEIGE Power Essential Refiner_Light
LANEIGE Balancing Emulsion_Moisture
LANEIGE Water Bank Essence
LANEIGE Water Bank Gel Cream

Night
SHU UEMUERA Cleansing Oil
LANEIGE Foam Cleaner Moisture
LANEIGE Multiberry Yogurt Peeling Gel (optional)
LANEIGE Power Essential Refiner_Light
LANEIGE Balancing Emulsion_Moisture
LANEIGE Water Bank Essence
LANEIGE Water Bank Gel Cream
LANEIGE Water Sleeping Pack_EX

April 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Wow! That’s a lot of Laneige 😀 I like the Sleeping Pack. I’m almost finished with my tub 😀

Grace April 13, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I experienced a bad breakout that lasted me for good 3 years.
After that I got a super sensitive skin (sensitized skin according to beautician)
That happened because I used the wrong product…

Note: before the breakout I had perfect skin that I only use plain water to rinse my face

Switched to LANEIGE then it gradually improved my condition.
Yeah! I love the sleeping pack too.
Recently bought the LANEIGE multiberry yogurt repair pack.

It was good!… you ask for a sample 😉

April 17, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Awesome to know that Laneige works for you! I haven’t tried that Multiberry yogurt pack thing. I hear lots of raves for it – will try to snag a sample some time :)

shusheshe
April 12, 2012 at 10:16 am

Oh well…I actually use a lot?!? And this is my spring/fall routine..in the winter when it’s dryer or summer when it’s hotter I’ll switch some things up to adjust.

Day:
Estee Lauder Foaming Cleanser, Hada Labo toner, Elizabeth Arden Prevage serum, estee lauder idealist serum, Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Plump eye cream, murad oil control mattifier (on the T-zone), L’Oreal Hydrafresh Moisturizer, Bobbi Brown Extra Repair Moisturizing Balm SPF 25 (cheeks only where it’s dry)

Night:
Shuu Uemura Cleansing Oil, Mandom Cleansing Express Eye/Lip makeup remover, Hada Labo toner, Elizabeth Arden Prevage serum, estee lauder idealist serum, Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream, Bobbi Brown Hydrating Face Cream, Naruko T-tree oil night gelly (twice a week)

April 13, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Haha I think by comparison to everyone here, that’s practically normal 😀 The only thing I’m lax with is eye cream. I’m really bad about using one 😛

Kim April 12, 2012 at 10:36 am

Mine is minimal, cos I had skin allergy attack late last year. This was after I started using more products – mostly chemical-free organic type too! I was even allergic to brands like Esmeria, Soapy (bar soap) and Stemorganics.
After consulting the dermatologist, I cut down everything down to the bare minimal. Now it’s just cleanser (Cetaphil), moisturiser day and night (Madara), SPF sunscreen (Dermorganics) and eye cream (Madara). It’s been 3 months and so far, skin has normalised. And since it has worked relatively well, am inclined to stick with it to avoid recurrence of allergy.
Occasional use would be Sukin face scrub and Darphin for mask.

April 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Actually, I’ve learnt the hard way that products that are natural or organic can be really harsh for me too. So I am usually a little wary. Its good to know that your current regime works for you now. It looks like a nice compact one and Madara moisturizer is pretty good stuff!

Del April 12, 2012 at 10:41 am

Day :
I just rinse my face with warm water and then put on moisturizer and sunscreen.
Moisturizer: Nuxe Nirvanesque
Sunscreen: if it’s a cloudy day, I just use Origins Vitazing with spf 15, if it’s super sunny, I use Clarins ‘UV Plus HP’ spf40

Night:
Neutrogena makeup remover wipes when I’m lazy /or Decleor Aroma cleanser when I’m being gentle on my skin
Dermalogica daily microfoliant
La Mer eyebalm intense
Creme de La Mer moisturizing cream.

I’m still searching for a good serum. Would you recommend the ones you are using ? I can’t really make out what they are on your photo…

Thanks!

April 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm

The serums in the photo are Dior One Essential, REN Radiance Perfecting Serum and Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate. Much depends on what you want your serums to do. The Dior One Essential is a pre-serum to be used before serums and moisturisers (review). The REN one is for radiance and its been about 2 weeks and I quite like it. They work well for me :)

Rakanishu April 12, 2012 at 10:51 am

Am:

– Shiseido Men Cleansing Foam
– Shiseido Men Shaving Cream
– Shiseido Men Hydrating Lotion
– Shiseido Anessa Perfect UV SPF 50+ PA+++/Anessa Milky Sunscreen (Town Use) SPF 32 PA+++
– Shiseido Men Anti Shine Refresher (T-zone only)

PM:

– Shiseido Men Cleansing Foam
– Shiseido Men Moisturizing Emulsion/Laneige Homme Sleeping Pack.

I keep things simple. I don’t want to take more than 15mins to get ready in d morning. There r a few products i didn’t include in the list but I tend to use them only occasionally. So far this has been my regime for more than a year and it works pretty well for me :)

April 13, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Its always nice to see a man take care of his skin! And it looks like Shiseido works very well for you!

Ju April 12, 2012 at 11:05 am

Morning:
Cetaphil daily cleanser
Ampoule
Blackhead serum (t zone)
Anti aging serum (forehead and laugh lines)
Hydration serum (all over face)
Moisturizer
Primer
Sunscreen

Milk cleanser
Cetaphil daily cleanser
Toner
Ampoule
Blackhead serum
Whitening serum
Moisturizer

I know, I know… I might be over doing it. But it works for my skin so I am continuing this routine. I rarely put on make up. If I do, I have two additional steps for removal…

April 13, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Actually, I don’t think that is very much and if it works for our skins, who cares what others think :) I am quite curious though about the Ampoule you listed in both day and night routines. What ampoules are those?

Ju April 13, 2012 at 9:47 pm

After reading what the other ladies’ replies, I think my routine is just fine and dandy… Hahaha.

The ampoules are from Phytoderm and Ceutical. Bought them from Vanity Talk. Really love them. Even my sisters and cousins are using them now, after letting me be the guinea pig!

April 17, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Ahh thanks for the ampoule info. I was wondering what they were 😀

txsh April 12, 2012 at 11:06 am

wow,i use alot products too
i’ve heard from some BA that it’s better that there are less than 3 brands of skincare products in your routine?

day: cleanser,toner,serum,moisturizer, sunblock > makeup blablabla
night: cleansing lotion,cleanser/scrub,toner,serums(x2),moisturizer,sleeping mask(putting it almost every night,unless i’m applying wash-off mask or watevas that night) @_@

April 13, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I think there are many schools of thought on this. Some say you only need 3, some say you can layer more. It depends on the skincare, your skin tolerance and your preference as far as I’m concerned. I am not quite fussed about it.

Gin April 12, 2012 at 11:26 am

I used to use serumS on my face but I found that they clog my pores… My pores are super easily clogged… Hence currently I have stopped using serum.
So I
1. double cleanse with aqualabel oil cleansing (very good product!!! *love*) and hadalabo Hyaluronic face wash
2. avene mist (great great thing)
3. toner
4. Neutrogena hydroboost moisturizer
5. Khiel midnight serum (around eyes)
6. Strivectin eye cream
7. Naruko night eye jelly

5. Sunblock

April 13, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Sorry to hear that serums clog your pores. I guess it might be the ingredients in there. Still, it looks like you have your regime down pat so there’s no real need to change anything up is there? 😉

Applegal April 12, 2012 at 11:42 am

Alamak! Saya ada banyak la! Tapi I noticed everyone else has a lot too, hee hee!

Day: Avene milk cleanser, Eucerin toner, Pevonia Botanica sensitive skin serum (finishing already), Pevonia moisturiser, Shiseido eye cream, Australian Cancer Council sunblock, then make up.

Night: Shu Uemura cleansing oil, La Mer cleanser (sample), same toner, serum, moisturiser and eye cream, but I put on Pevonia essential oil before moisturiser. For the time being I’m putting off my Murad’s until some scars of mine clear up.

Applegal April 12, 2012 at 11:43 am

Forgot the Avene mist day and nighit

April 13, 2012 at 4:32 pm

LOL!! Yes indeed! It would appear we are all skincare junkies down here so come and join the party!

ysk
April 12, 2012 at 11:46 am

Day:cleanser,toner,eye gel,serum,moisturizer,sunblock(sometimes will skip serum)

Night:makeup remover,cleanser,Activator,toner,eye cream,serum,serum(double serum),moisturizer.scary!(sometimes will skip Activator)
ysk recently blogged…Review+Tutorial:L’Oréal White Perfect Micro Vibration 3in1 Eye BrightenerMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Aww I don’t think that’s very scary at all :) So many of us here have a long list of skincare we use daily too!

Renee
April 12, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Wow! You guys, my skincare routine is kinda lame compared to all of yours haha. I use the same two products, morning and night: Clinique Facial Lotion and Dramatically Different Moisturizer after. And if I go out I add in Clarins HP sunscreen.

I feel like I should start with anti-aging now (prevention is better than cure I suppose!), but my skin seems to behave the less I put on it!

I spot REN – how is REN? My best friend raves about the brand.
Renee recently blogged…The Oil-Cleansing MethodMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I think those who have very sensitive skin will react better if they use less products. I can’t use both the Clinique products you mentioned though. As for REN I think their products are not bad, based on the ones I’ve tried anyway. They are supposed to be more natural but that again is debatable depending on the school of thought one subscribes to. The one in the picture is a Radiance Perfecting Serum and I wasn’t sure what to expect of it, but I think its quite good! My skin looks brighter and better and it was unexpected :)

aLeesha April 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm

this is my current skincare routine:

Day
– cleanser : LUSH angel on bare skin
– toner : Lancome tonique
– serum : Lancome genifique + Lancome visionnaire
– moisturizer : Lancome genifique day cream
– SPF : Chanel SPF 50

Night
– cleanser : Soy Fresh + Clarisonic
– toner : Lancome tonique
– serum : Lancome genifique + Lancome visionnaire / Estee ANR
– moisturizer : Lancome genifique night cream
– eye cream : Lancome genifique eye cream / Estee ANR Eye cream
– mask : Dior one essential / Sisley black rose / Laneige sleeping pack

April 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Ooh I see you use the Dior One Essential mask too! How do you like it? I just bought it and am planning to use it this weekend 😀 I also see that you use a lot of Lancome too! I couldn’t use Genifique serum because it broke me out but I’m going to try to give Visionnaire a go.

aLeesha April 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I love love love the one essential mask.. It makes my complexion plumper and softer too.. not to mention slightly brighter. I’m using up my Lancôme deluxe sample my sister got me before finishing up my cle de peau beauty regime :)

Do try the visionnaire!! My mum’s swears by it and that what makes me wanna try.. to date I love the evenness of my complexion. Hope this helps!

April 13, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Eeeps! I’m so excited about using the mask now hehe… I already use the serum and I swear its doing wonders for me skin. I love it! I’ve also heard alot of good thing things about Visionnaire. I’m wondering though if I should swap out my Dior One Essential for Visionnaire since they essentially do similar things … well almost. We’ll see! 😉 Thanks for sharing!

beetrice
April 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm

ooh good one! 😀

Daytime – cleanser, 2 serums, moisturiser, sunblock, face spray.

Nighttime – 2 cleansers (separate one for removing eye makeup), lotion, 2 serums, moisturiser, eye cream.

I reckon I use more at night compared to daytime though, but after looking at some of the routines others have shared, I’m thinking mine is quite little! :O
beetrice recently blogged…Fun Dupe for the Ciate Caviar Manicure…My Profile

April 13, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Haha yes! Your list is short by comparison. In fact even mine is short by comparison 😀 I also use more at night than in the day mostly because I feel that night time is when I do all the replenishing while in the day I don’t want too much on my face lest it all slips off under my makeup 😛

Cas April 12, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Mine is very simple

Day: Cleanser then moisturize.

Night: Cleanser followed by toner.

I’m horrible. I know.
Cas recently blogged…Her First CastingMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Hey! Not horrible, just a minimalist 😀 If it works for you, there’s nothing wrong with it 😉 I do notice you don’t use a moisturizer at night and I was wondering why?

Sandra
April 12, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Morning:
Warm water rinse (no cleanser)
Sukin Facial Moisturiser
Kiehl’s Ultra Light Daily UV Defense Sunscreen SPF50 PA+++
Sukin Hydrating Mist Toner (using it primarily to ‘kick’ me from falling asleep at work)

OCM
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate
Sukin or Clinique moisturiser

I admit I’m lazy to put cream on my eyes..

April 13, 2012 at 4:44 pm

psst! I don’t use eye cream either. Eeps! 😛 Its good to know the OCM works for you. I guess I just don’t have the patience nor inclination to try it again after my first disastrous bout.

Aoi
April 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I have combo skin and sometimes dry if I was inside airconditioned room all the time. Currently I use Garnier Light products. Weirdly enough, it work perfectly against my adult acne. I’ve been having jawline acne for a couple of years (currently, I havent been wearing headscarves because of this too) and this skincare line somehow faded most of it away. I don’t really care for the whitening capabilities (it give white tint on the face which fade when you didnt use it often) but anything that made my skin clear is a HG.

Morning
Garnier Light Gentle Clarifying Foam
Garnier Light Milky Lightening Dew
Garnier Light Moisturizing Day Cream (sensitive)
Maybelline baby lips

Night
Garnier Light Gentle Clarifying Foam
Garnier Light Milky Lightening Dew
Garnier Light Peeling Night Cream

once or twice a week, I use biore’s nose pore pack, simple deep cleansing mask, and “one tablet of disprin in water” mask. Sometimes I use virgin olive oil from kitchen for heavy eye makeup and light olive oil with white egg as a mask (the yellow yolk I use for the hair)

I have the Garnier scrub, bb cream and eye roller but they’re just fillers *and I get zits with the scrub*. I like the gel-mask better than current tissue mask and peel mask so I skip on purchasing that.

I still have jawline acne (never seem to go away) but it lessened drastically. My zits went away after day or two but the scar takes weeks/months to heal. I can’t use oil control line for anything since all of them worsen my breakout. And I’ve been on and off with this skincare for a couple of years but it still work for me. Staying with it for now.

April 13, 2012 at 4:45 pm

That’s a nice budget friendly routine! I love it when something inexpensive works well :) I’d read somewhere that jawline acne was link to hormones. I’m not sure how true that is though.

Jennifer April 12, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Hi Paris. I’m actually a skincare “samseng” :) For the longest time though I have very problematic acne prone and sensitive skin – I use all sorts of drug store products which often leaves a trail of mishaps 😛 So I decided to jump onto the Estee Lauder bandwagon after trying numerous facials with them and the products did not cause any retaliation on my skin. This is what I am using now and though I am barely 1/10 done with the products, my heart is racing to try other skincare and make up products. I try to be very disciplined for now before I get too adventurous again, lol.

Day
EL Perfectly Clean Splash Away Foaming Cleanser
EL Optimizer Pore Minimizing Boosting Lotion
EL Idealist Pore Minimizing Skin Refinisher
EL Hydrationist Maximum Moisture Creme
* since I don’t apply make up at all, I am considering to apply sunblock as a starter, maybe Kiehl’s Ultra Light Daily UV Defense or Clarins UV Plus HP

Night
EL Perfectly Clean Splash Away Foaming Cleanser
EL Optimizer Pore Minimizing Boosting Lotion
EL Advanced Night Repair or EL Idealist Pore Minimizing Skin Refinisher
EL Idealist Pore Minimizing Skin Refinisher
EL Advanced Night Repair Eye Synchronized Complex
EL Hydrationist Maximum Moisture Creme
* I have tried Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate sample, not sure if it’s done me any good, perhaps KIV it during sale. Also looking to buy Kiehl’s Rare Earth Clay mask for my oily skin

Your blog has been my source of reference for skincare reviews which I am very grateful for. Can’t thank you enough :)

April 13, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Its great to know that so many Estee Lauder products work fo ryou 😀 The Perfectly Clean cleanser I found too drying as well as the Optimizer. I have heard that the new Idealist is really good so I’m sort of itching to try that one 😛 The whitening one dries my skin so I’m not too impressed, but I hear the regular one is good. Hydrationist works for me too! I’m glad you’ve found inspiration or recs from the blog – its gratifying to know that it helps :)

Jennifer April 14, 2012 at 1:15 am

Actually the cleanser sometimes leaves a layer of grime on my face especially when I wash my face during hot sticky afternoons at home. I quite like Optimizer as it’s easily absorbed and most importantly, does not leave any tingling feeling. But when applied on nose, I get a very shiny nose. Hydrationist cream is a little too rich for my oily skin for day use – I was advised to take the lotion instead but I ended up with cream 😛 Ahh and I love Idealist, it’s like having a giant velvety blotter sheet over my face, lol.

April 17, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Eeps! Sounds like I do have to check out Idealist after all – giant velvery blotter sheets sound amazing!

Ellen April 12, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Cleanse
Tone
eye cream
brightening Serum
Moisturing Serum
Sunscreen

oil clean
foam Cleanse
scrub, mask (twice a week)
Tone (sometimes only :D)
nite cream (sometimes only :D)

i didn’t slp in an air-cond room, so would prefer face naked at nite 😀

April 13, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Good to know it works for you 😀 Actually just referring to your last statement, I was just wondering if it might not be a good idea to apply some light cream, because I saw you use oil cleansers and foaming cleansers which can be very drying for the skin in the long run. So a bit of moisture will help even if you don’t sleep in an air conditioned room. Just a thought :)

Jyoan April 12, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I don’t think there’s a need to use so many products.
I am now testing the Hada Labo series, so it’s basically only cleanser, serum, moisturizer. I only use pimple gel when I need it, then a whitening cream on a pimple scar. But that’s not part of my daily routine.

My standard routine is quite simple too.
Day: Cleanser, toner, moisturizer, sunscreen
Night: cleanser, toner, night cream.
If I exfoliate that night, I will just use an overnight mask.

I don’t think my skin can take so many products… …

April 13, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I think it depends on our skins and there are different schools of thought about just how many products we need to use. The basics of course, are as you have mentioned – cleanser, toner/lotion, moisturiser, sunscreen – but as I get older, I find adding serums help 😉

Stephanie/Yukaeshi
April 12, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Hmm.

Day: Konjac/Konnyaku sponge, Dr Andrew Weil For Origins Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Cleanser, Dr Andrew Weil For Origins Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Eye Serum, Cellnique Soothing And Hydrating Lotion, Cellnique Intensive Hydrating Complex, Melvita Soothing Care Serum, Marie Veronique Organics Moisturising Face Screen. Then it’s Chanel Vitalumiere Eclat compact foundation and Eau Thermale Avene spray.

Night: Dermalogica Precleanse, konjac/konnyaku sponge, Dr Andrew Weil For Origins Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Cleanser, then once or twice a week- Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant followed by Cellnique Soothing And Hydrating Masque, Dr Andrew Weil For Origins Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Eye Serum, Cellnique Soothing And Hydrating Lotion, Cellnique Intensive Hydrating Complex, Melvita Soothing Care Serum, Melvita Sweet Almond Oil.

April 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Nice long list there! I have been quite curious about the Origins Dr. Andrew Weil mushroom range. Maybe I’ll try it some day but for some reason, Origins always falls through the cracks of my memory LOL!

yuki
April 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm

hahhaa… ever since I started reading your blog, the number of products increased from 3 to I dunno how many… gotta list them down…lol…

Clinique Liquid Facial Soap
Clinique Clarifying Lotion
Avène Thermal Spring Water Spray
bliv Off With Those Heads
Clarins Pore Minimising Serum
Clinique All About Eyes
Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing Moisturizer
Clinique Moisture Surge™ Extended Thirst Relief (only for the neck area :P)
Skin Food Aloe Sun BB Cream

Biore Cleansing Oil
Clinique Liquid Facial Soap
Clinique Clarifying Lotion
Avène Thermal Spring Water Spray
bliv Off With Those Heads
Clarins Pore Minimising Serum
Clinique All About Eyes
Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing Moisturizer
Clinique Moisture Surge™ Extended Thirst Relief (only for the neck area :P)

quite a lot… lol…

April 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Eeps! My fault 😛 Actually, I was already using quite a few products before I started blogging, so I can’t quite blame myself hehe… 😉 Looks like Clinique works well for you eh?

Helen Nguyen
April 12, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Well, it depends on my skin condition and the weather over here. Living in North Europe, the weather can be rough on your skin sometimes. But I love layering my products if I can.

In winter my skin is dryer, so I can get away using more porducts. Last time I count it was 9 products, day and night lol 😀 it took a lot of time at first, but when you used to it, you can speed up the routine.

When my skin is more sensitive, acting up, oilier or Im just lazy, then I only use 3-4 products. I dont think I can go less than that :( Im a skin care junkie-monkey!

April 13, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I remember when it was winter and my skin would feel so taut, it was awful! I can’t begin to imagine months of it at a go. But I also am of the opinion that layering a few light products works better than slapping on one heavy product. I don’t know if its a fact, but thus far, I’ve been experimenting and it seems to be ideal :) Like you, when I look at the number of products I use, it looks like tons of it but its actually not that long to apply once you get into a routine. Join the skincare junkie club! 😀

missoopsie April 12, 2012 at 3:03 pm

i hv came a long way and reached the conclusion, lesser is better. go to work without makeup, not even lipstick.

day – cleanser, serum, day cream & bb cream
night – cleanser, serum & nite cream

April 13, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Its good to know that you’ve found a routine you like :) I like having makeup on though, which you can probably tell 😉

Kel April 12, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Lets see:
Cleanser
Toner
Eye Cream
Serum
Acne treatment (if breaking out)
Moisturiser
Sunscreen

Night
Make up remover(s)
Cleanser with scrub
Face Mist
Toner
Clarins face lift cream
Eye Cream
Hilberry exfoliating Serum
Kiehls Night Serum
Moisturiser

Sounds like ALOT but doesnt take me more than 5 minutes…so there Paris, u aint the only one.. :)

April 13, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Hurrah for skincare solidarity! 😀 You’re right. It all looks like a lot, but in fact, it doesn’t take all that long to pat on or apply. I guess whatever makes our skin happy makes us happy!

Ivone April 12, 2012 at 3:39 pm

– DIOR Snow DNA Reverse Repair Serum
– Aesop Serum
– Dior Moisturizer
– Bobbi Brown Total Repair Eye
optional:- sometimes add Kiehls Midnight Repair

April 13, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Ooh that’s quite a mixed bag of brands there :) I’m using a Shiseido sunscreen myself for the first time and I’m surprised that I actually really like it!

sherly April 12, 2012 at 4:53 pm

a.m.: 4 steps
laneige multi cleanser
laneige skin refiner light
laneige balancing emulsion
kose sunscreen spf 50 pa+++

p.m.: 5 steps
laneige multi cleanser (been trusting this face wash to remove makeup! since i’ve stopped using cleansing oil)
laneige skin refiner light
laneige balancing emulsion
acne treatment: benzac ac 2.5%
and the occassional mamonde sleeping pack (every second day)

so i guess mine is pretty simple :)

April 13, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Aha! Another Laneige fan! I remember another reader also using a lot of Laneige 😀

June April 12, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Estee Lauder advanced night repair
Vichy whitening serum
Vichy spot target serum
Kose whitening eye cream
SK2 moisturiser

April 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I was told that the Sekkisei Toner is quite good and that it can be used as a mask too. I haven’t tried it though but I think I might 😉

Ling
April 12, 2012 at 6:25 pm

This is such an interesting topic!! Some days I get lazy and I use minimal 3-4 products. But some days I am on fire and I use LOADS! I noticed that Korean skincare loves layering products – with like emulsions, pre-toners, lotions and whatnots.
Ling recently blogged…Shu Uemura Point Cealer Gives Me Trypophobia!My Profile

April 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I think its an Asian skincare thing. I don’t really use Korean skincare but Japanese skincare employs the same techniques – double cleansing, double moisture, double mask… maybe its so they earn double money hehe… 😉

Lisa April 12, 2012 at 11:18 pm

am: cleanse, mist, moisturizer, sunblock
pm: oil, cleanser, deep cleansing mask (optional)
before sleep: sheet mask (optional/if i can be bothered to), mist, serum / moisturizer

April 13, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Sounds like a nice compact routine! I have to remember to use a mask soon. I’ve been putting it off for the longest time

Evelyn Chang April 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm

For me, I used

Morning:

Cleanser
Toner
Essence
Sun screen
make up

Cleanser
toner
moisturizer
mask(few times per week)

April 13, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Wow that’s diligent of you to use a mask few times a week. I’ve been forgetting to lately and by the time I remember, I”ve got all my skincare on 😛

Liz April 12, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Morning:
Cleanser (Will choose 1 out of 4 that I have.)
Toner
Eye cream (Will choose 1 out of 3 that I have.)
Skin Inc Serum
Laneige Pore Clear Essence
Laneige Pore Tight Essence
Skin Inc Moisturizer
Etude House Gel Sunblock
Shiseido Primer
SK-II Pancake Powder Foundation

Laneige Cleansing Oil
Cleanser
Toner
Eye cream
SK-II Facial Treatment Essence
SK-II Whitening Serum
Laneige Pore Tight Essence

Yes, my dressing table is full but I’m trying to cut down. =_= I should be thrown into a skincare rehab one of these days since I can’t stop buying new stuff to try on. I have oily, acne-prone skin which is under control every now and then. My main concerns are breakouts and acne red marks.

April 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm

LOL Sounds like my dressing table and I would probably need to join you in skincare rehab too 😉 By the way, I tried a sample of the Laneige Cleansing Oil once and I quite liked it! I didn’t get the full size one yet though.

melchewvin April 12, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Clarisonic with Clarisonic fresh gel cleanser
Kanebo Blanchir superior conditioner
SK2 facial treatment essence
Diorsnow day essence
Kanebo Blanchir superior milky conditioner
Clarins SPF40 sunblock

Fancl mild cleansing oil
Clarisonic with Clarisonic fresh gel cleanser
Kanebo Blanchir superior conditioner
SK2 facial treatment essence
Diorsnow day essence
Dior Hydralife sorbet essence
Kanebo Blanchir superior milky conditioner
Laniege sleeping mask (twice a week)

April 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Oh hey! The first person I’ve seen using Kanebo Blanchir! I like their products but haven’t used them in a while :)

melchewvin April 13, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Yeah I like Kanebo but I’m thinking of changing to Diorsnow cause Blanchir does not provide the moisture that I want.

April 13, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Ah I noticed that too! Blanchir isn’t very moisturizing. But then, I don’t find Diorsnow particularly very moisturizing either, although the Lotion is quite good.

lyn
April 13, 2012 at 12:16 am

Erm, I don’t even count anymore. Buuuuut since you asked…

cleanser, toner (sometimes), serum, moisturiser, eye gel, sunscreen = 6 steps

Night:
eye makeup remover, cream/oil cleanser, foaming cleanser, toner, treatment oil, serum, sometimes another serum, moisturiser, eye cream = 9 steps

Extras (depending on mood):
scrub, clarisonic, mask, lip treatment, pimple gel

You’re only talking about “facial” skincare, right?
lyn recently blogged…First Impressions of Kanebo Impress IC Revitalizing Range and I Am ImpressedMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm

LOL!! yes, just the face 😀 I don’t quite treat the rest of me as well except for oiling myself up every night with my body oils 😀

C April 13, 2012 at 1:59 am

Wow, this is interesting. Love seeing how many products people use, and how many people stick to using the same brand/line for their products. My routine is

DAY
Cleanse, lotion, (serum), eye cream, moisturise, sunscreen
NIGHT
remove makeup, cleanse, (exfoliate), lotion, (serum), eye cream, moisturiser, hydrator (clinique moisture surge or laneige sleeping pack), eczema creams x2 or 3

my night routine is fairly long as I have more time then and I need loads of different moisturizers/hydrators that I use on different parts on my face and neck in various quantities to keep my skin from drying out, despite having combination skin. In the morning I’m always rushing so I don’t have time to really take care of my skin. Things in brackets I don’t do every day but at least once weekly!

April 13, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I noticed that many people stick to the same brands too! I’m one of those who mix everything up depending on my mood. Its been ages since I actually stuck to one line because I never found everything good enough to stick to 😉 It sounds like you have a good routine down. Like you, I spend more time at night too because of that morning time constraint 😉

Julia April 13, 2012 at 2:50 am

Morning:
Bioderma Micellar Lotion (don’t want to get my face into contact with water twice a day)
rarely moisturizer
sunscreen (Japanese mild milks)
BB Cream and/or mineral foundation

Cleansing Oil/Liquid/Gel
Foam Wash
Wipe-off toner or Bioderma again
sometimes a moisturizing lotion/toner
moisturizer, sleeping pack instead occasionally

April 13, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I’ve been using the Bioderma Micellar Lotion recently but not very often. I prefer using it on days when I have a late night or am too tired to wash my face after an evening out :)

Sunny
April 13, 2012 at 4:49 am

Day:
A face wash (I have several that I rotate depending on my mood really haha)
A toner
La Roche Posay Effaclar K for my T-zone
Kiehl’s Dark Spot Corrective serum for my cheeks
A lotion/BB Cream (trying Hydra Life out at the moment. It actually is hydrating enough to double as a lotion for me)

Bioderma Sensibio
Philosophy Purity Made Simple
A toner
La Roche Posay Effaclar K for my T-zone
Khiel’s Midnight Recovery Serum for my cheeks
Annnd that’s it! I’ve tried to layer a lotion on top, but this works well as it is so I often skip the step!
Sunny recently blogged…Come Shopping with Me! Edition Brussels. Focus Store: Senteurs d’Ailleurs Part 2: Haute ParfumerieMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 5:35 pm

LOL!! I rotate different face washes in the mornings too depending on my mood 😀 It sounds like you have got a nice effective routine there. How are you finding the Kiehl’s serum? Is that the one in the clear bottle? I have been quite curious about it 😀

Sunny
April 13, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Hey Paris, I just started a week ago so I can’t tell just yet! I’ve taken my “before” pictures (the spots look SO scary up close grr), and I’ll take some more as time progresses. Let’s hope it’ll do something! I’m not really bothered by them yet, but I vow to practice better sun protection from now on and prevent more from popping up! I’ll keep you posted about the serum :)

April 13, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Will look out for your review! 😉 Talk to me about scary dark spots! I’ve lived with mine for so long my best friend is concealer LOL!

Shay April 13, 2012 at 6:29 am

I am facing some troubled skin lately, so I have cut down the products that I use.

Morning – cleanser, unclogging pore toner, unclog pore essence (on troubled area only), day moisturizer, sunblock = 5 items

I follow with makeup after that.

Night – eye makeup remover, 2 cleansers, whitening toner, acne concentrate, pore unclogging essence, serum (tried to add khiel’s Mnrc over it but ended up with bumps…so I just alternate them) = 7 items

I could have done 2 more than the above when I have better skin. 😀

April 13, 2012 at 5:36 pm

That’s not too bad :) I found that I have better skin with what I”m using now – 8 to 9 products in the evening – than when I was just using about 4 or 5. My wallet moans a lot of course 😛

Firn April 13, 2012 at 7:20 am

I’m using mostly products prescribed by my derm because I’ve had laser procedures done with her. The only non-prescription item is my cleanser.

La-Roche Posay demaquillant gel
Vit ACE serum
Moisturiser (light): I mix this with Laneige hydro gel sometimes
Sunblock

La-Roche Posay demaquillant gel
Vit ACE serum
Moisturiser: a heavier one mixed with a tiny bit of Laneige sleeping pack (used on my neck too)

April 13, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Ah laser procedures do need special care! I had a mild zap a while ago but didn’t keep it up because I wasn’t quite sold on the idea and the upkeep 😛

Firn April 14, 2012 at 8:09 am

Au contraire, laser procedures only need regular skincare especially diligent application of sunblock. But you do need more than one session to see results. I find that my blemishes heal faster after having a session.

I just use prescription skincare because I have extremely sensitive skin and I want to break the cycle of breakouts from trying new skincare that may not work. Plus she does a more affordable dupe of Skinceuticals ACE serum that my mum and I love.

Liyeun April 13, 2012 at 9:13 am

Hi, would love to share mine too!

Day cleanser: Aesop Fabulous Face Cleanser
Day toner: Aesop Parsley Seed
Day Moisturizer: Aesop Mandarin
Eyecream: Just finish Lancome’s Genefique, currently using Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery
Sunscreen: alternate btwn Dermalogica’s Oil-free spf20 & Clarins transparent spf 40

My skincare regime at night? Just minus the sunscreen!!! Amazingly, Aesop makes good basic moisturizers which doesnt cause my skin to break out. I also realize the more i put on my face, it cant breathe!!! I discovered this when i was pregnant and i was using the whole set from clarins, which causes me to break out though i had used clarins for 10 years!!!! So after i switch to aesop, so far so good…

April 13, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Thanks for sharing, Liyuen! Its good to know that Aesop works well for you. I have never really used their products in full size but I remember having a few sachets of their samples which lasted me well enough on a trip and I was quite keen to get them… and then forgot LOL! 😀 Now you’ve reminded me again

Michelle Beh April 13, 2012 at 11:18 am

Interesting topic Paris B!!! My routine is as below :

Daytime: Cleanser, Toner, Moisturizer, Eye gel and Sunscreen(When im not lazy =.=)

Nighttime: Cleanser, Toner, Moisturizer, Serum , Eye gel.

These are my routines for skincare :)

April 13, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Ooh Michelle, skimp on the eye gel but not the sunscreen, I hope! Its the only one true anti-aging product :)

Michelle Beh April 13, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Lol!! You are correct indeed Paris B..Other than a little laziness sometimes which I must change this attitude, I hardly found any sunscreen which suit my skin as I dislike those sticky feeling on my face after putting on sunscreen. Any recommendation Paris B?

April 17, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Hmm… many new sunscreens aren’t sticky anymore. I personally like Hada Labo, Clarins and the new Shiseido one. Not sticky and give a nice finish and good base for makeup so that cuts out one step of makeup! 😉

Michelle Beh April 17, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Thanks for the recommendation!!! Will definitely try out those brands =D

Mira
April 13, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Day :
Diorsnow cleanser, Avene thermal water, Diorsnow toner, Clarins shaping facial lift, SK-II facial treatment essence, Diorsnow spot corrector, Diorsnow day essence, Diorsnow emulsion, Diorsnow sunblock, Dior Hydra essence-in-base, Makeup.

Night :
SK-II cleansing oil, Soap & Glory Scrub Your Nose in it, St. Ives Apricot Scrub, Diorsnow wipe-off gel, Clarins shaping facial lift, SK-II facial treatment essence, Diorsnow spot corrector, Diorsnow night essence, Estee Lauder hydrationist serum (for forehead only since my forehead kinda dry), Estee Lauder Hydra complete eye cream, Diorsnow night cream, Estee Lauder moisture cream (again for forehead only).

Mine kinda long. I’m turning 20 this year, and I use this much already. Haha… >.<

April 17, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Wow your skin must be amazing :) I wasn’t this diligent at 20 and am naturally paying for it now 😛

Amex April 13, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Good one. Never really thought of my routine. Here goes..

Daytime
Cleanser > Toner > Serum > Day moisturiser > Eye cream > Sunblock

Night
Oil cleanser > Facial wash (with the Clarisonic) > Toner > Serum > Spot remover/brightener > Eye cream > Night moisturiser

Hmmm.. so 6 items for day and 8 at night. I do use a mask about once a week (when I can be bothered) and go for monthly facials. I do notice that since I’ve started pampering my skin, its gotten better and I hardly have problems.

April 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Me too! I find going for regular facials help my skin too. All that regular facial massage, deep cleanse and extractions do wonders for my skin’s health 😀

Sarah Karenina April 13, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Very interesting to read skincare’s people ! I’m so curious ! 😀
21 years old girl, here’s my skincare routine !

Morning :
– MyChelle white cranberry cleanser,
– Thayers cuncumber & witch hazel toner (alcohol free)
– Etat-Pur green tea pure active
– Aroma-Zone jojoba oil
– Jonzac hydrating eye cream
– Sunscreen

Night :
– Clinique Cleansing Balm Take The Day Off
– MyChelle White Cranberry Cleanser,
– Thayers Cuncumber & Witch Hazel toner (alcohol free)
– Aroma-Zone wheat germ oil
– Burt’s Bee repair serum (on my future wrinkle and as an “eye cream”)

Each week :
– Clarisonic with cleansing gel
– MyChelle Pumpkin Peel Mask
– Dr Hauschka Revitalising Mask
– Sanoflore Purifying Aromatic Mask

Aroma-Zone, Jonzac and Etat-Pur are French brands :)

April 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thanks for sharing, Sarah. I haven’t come across many of the brands you mention but when you said they are French brands, it made sense 😀 There are so many good French brands that I may not have heard of either so thanks for bringing my attention to them!

Christine April 13, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Oh my god! reading this i felt so lazy. I only use a mask once a week :(

April 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Eeeps! And no other skincare daily at all?

Stacey

Biotherm Aquasource Toner
Clinique Even Better Serum
Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Serum
Biotherm Aquasource Moisturiser
Estee Lauder Time Zone Eye cream
Kiehls Midnight Recovery Concentrate

eeeps. am i overloading my face with products?

April 17, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Haha that would be all our concerns :) I don’t think you are. Other than the multiple removers/cleansers, theres the basic toner/lotion, double serum and moisturiser that I see in most of our regimes :)

Rozae April 16, 2012 at 2:50 pm

ok Paris B, let me get down & dirty about my skin care routine!

Day:
1) Wash = switch between: Laneige Multi Cleanser or Omar Sharif Re20 Essential Silky Foaming Cleanser
2) Serum = switch between: Iope Moisture Lasting Serum or Avon Anew Rejuvenate Flash Facial
3) SPF = Switch between: Laneige UV Total Base in 2 natural finish or NARS TM in Alaska or Missha Perfect Cover in no.23
4) Makeup

1) Remove eye makeup with Laneige Lip & Eye Remover Waterproof
2) Remove face makeup with Kiehl’s Oil-Based Cleanser
3) Wash face = switch between: Laneige Multi Cleanser or Omar Sharif Re20, Essential Silky Foaming Cleanser
4) Toner = Madara Deep comfort toner
5) Oil = Avon Anew Rejuvenate Glycolic Facial Treatment
6) Moisturizer = switch between: Avon Anew Rejuvenate Revitalizing Cream or Shiseido White Lucent or Paula’s Choice 2% beta hydroxy acid
7) Eye Cream : Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm
8) Lips = Vasaline

Once a week:
Wash = DDF Brightening Cleanser
Exfoliate = Murad Age Reform AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser
Mask = Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay
Mask = Mario Badescu Whiting Mask (If I have pimples)

I didn’t realized I use so many products until I wrote this ?

April 17, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Haha few of us realised it! Thanks for sharing your routine! I see a nice mix of brands and products in there.

Beauty Mish Mash
April 17, 2012 at 12:29 am

I use an oil cleanser, toner and moisturiser every night. Sometimes I also use a serum if my skin is feeling dry, and once a week I like to exfoliate and use a face mask! I think that removing make up is the most time consuming thing, so once that’s done it’s easy to keep going!:)
Beauty Mish Mash recently blogged…A quick FOTD for EasterMy Profile

April 17, 2012 at 5:18 pm

You’re right! Once you get stuck in a routine, it actually doesn’t take too long to put on the rest of the skincare :)

plue
April 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm

i have cut things down to 3, or the most 4, including cleansers.

Day: cleanser, serum/ moisturizer, eyecream (sometimes I skip) and sunscreen
Night: cleanser, serum/ moisturizer, eyecream (sometimes I skip)

only when my skin is drier than normal then i’ll use both serum and moisturizer together. i think my skin behaves better than when I pile on products and i notice some products work better if I have lesser stuff on my face :) maybe i’ll write about that soon…
plue recently blogged…The Lust List #2My Profile

April 17, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Great to know your routine works for you :) I use substantially less in the day than I do at night. Maybe because I have the luxury of time at night 😀

Lumi April 17, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Right now, I’m trying new, unfamiliar moisturizers/serums. Still on the hunt for HG products.

Cleanser
Serum (I just started trying serums so before them, I used Salicylic acid/acne spot treatment.)
Moisturizer

Sometimes, I use eye creams (testing) and masks. I love masks. 😀

With the new products in my routine, I don’t know if I should add more products in (like back to my toner and/or my acne treatment.) I’m waiting to see if I get any adverse reactions from the new products and to see any benefits. And I’m kinda worried that a combo of products (old/tried and new) will create adverse effects. So I guess I’m in that experimentation stage and I don’t have a solid, set plan yet.

Idk if I should alternate certain products on different nights.

Morning:
Cleanser
Moisturizer
Sunscreen (if my foundation doesn’t have it and if I remember~)

Paris, I was wondering how long do you test moisturizers?
How long do you test serums?

April 17, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I test all skincare for at least 3-4 weeks because our skin can react differently within that time and its useful to know just whether the product can work over all the hormonal changes that goes on every month :) I don’t alternate too many brands of similar products at any one time. So I’m using X brand cleanser, I usually finish it up before I switch to another unless I am asked to test a new A brand cleanser, then I’ll slot it in in place of X for 3-4 weeks or unless I get a reaction immediately then I stop. I don’t know if that makes sense 😛

Mee April 21, 2012 at 8:27 am

In comparison to some other commenters I think my list is quite short!

I use the same cleanser and toner for day and night time.
I also do some facial zoning (I don’t know how you call it^^), because my skin is oily on the forehead and normal on all the other parts of my face. So I always use the same gel for my T-Zone during night and day. For the rest I use a normal cream for the day. For the night I use a more moisturising product. But that’s it! (:

Actually I often feel quite bad when I buy so many products, because I often just don’t use them until they are empty and so it is partly wasted money. And I don’t know… I start to feel bad when I buy too much, that consumism, so I am trying to find the optimal products so that I don’t have to use many different products xD

Elaine May 22, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I am brand-hopper for skincare as I liked to try new products..

Day
Shiseido White Lucent Cleanser
Lancaster Facial Scrub
Shiseido Senka Toner (blue cap)
Shiseido White Lucent Moisturizer
Clarins Sun block

Night
Shiseido White Lucent Cleanser
Avene Thermal Spray
White Formula Toner & Essence (from Taiwan)
Paula Choice 2% BHA Lotion
Dior Total Capture Cream, Eye Cream
OR
The Saem (Korea) Chaga White Serum, W Pearl Beam Cream, Spot Corrector
Kose Eye Cream

Weekly- Lush MoM mask or Origins Clear Improvement Mask, MBD sheet Masks

I had just bought The Saem products to try, and really like the light weight texture. It is also improving my skin & making it more luminuous. :)

Isabelle June 5, 2012 at 10:47 pm

For my skin I use

Qv cleanser
Burt bees SPF 30 sunscreen

Night:
Coconut oil to remove eye & face makeup
Qv cleanser
Sukin rosehip oil OR kora organics soothing cream OR sukin facial moisturizer

Raquel M. July 8, 2012 at 11:53 pm

I’ve had a similar talk with my friends the other day and I felt really cosmetic-junkie too x)

in the morning I use a gel cleanser, I tone, use an acne treatment, a pore-refining serum on both cheeks and then I moisturize and put on makeup.
at night I use a bi-phasic eye makeup remover, then a deep oil cleanser to remove the rest of the makeup, a gel cleanser, a toner, a pore-cleansing treatment, a face oil treatment to reduce sebum production throughtout the day, pore-refining serum on the cheeks, moisturize and then use a topic treatment to my active pimples… And OMG, that’s a lot! XD

Janice August 14, 2012 at 9:09 am

Hello
Morning:
Cleanser – Nature & Co
Toner – Nivea
Eye Cream – Marna (some jap brand)
Moisturizer – Laneige
Sunblock – Kanebo

Evening:
Cleanser – Bifesta Cleansing Water and Nature & co.
Toner – Nivea/Kose
Eye Cream – Marna
Moisturizer – Laneige
Mask – Kose White Mask/Laneige Sleeping Pack/Eumora Clay Soap

Do u think that by using so many products , it hinders the skin from “breathing”? coz i read somewhere, the blogger decided to go on a ‘skin detox’ or something, where she keeps just a very basic skin care routine.

Also, I tend to get those white bumps when i use certain products. Does this mean my skin isn’t suitable for that product, or my skin needs some time to get used to the product?
I have sensitive (and very thin) and dry skin. i’m not sure whether i should be moisturizing it (by using serums and oils etc) or should i just keep my skincare simple.

August 14, 2012 at 11:26 am

Usually, I find that breakouts or bumps on skin maybe attributed to products or lack of exfoliation. Only you will really know what works for you. As it stands, I think your skincare routine is already pretty basic and I don’t see how much more you can cut it down, compared to the other long lists out there! :) Ultimately, only you will know what will work for your skin – if its a basic routine that works then so be it :)

Glendon August 31, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Morning
La Roche Posay Thermal Spa Water
Yves Rocher Cure Solutions Serum or Prevage Anti-aging Serum
Prevage Day Lotion
Estee Lauder Matte Primer

Night
Intervene 3 in 1 Cleanser
Prevage Anti-aging Serum
Prevage Night Cream

Yvonne November 6, 2012 at 9:05 am

I used to have really dry and/or sensitive skin and so only kept to the normal cleanse, tone, moisturise and sunblock. But in the last 2 years I’ve been adding to my skincare regime, esp with the harsh winters here in NZ (and more recently the crappy office air since I’ve started working). So here goes –

Morning
1) Cetaphil daily cleanser
2) Body Shop’s Aloe Vera toner
3) Kiehls Acne Blemish Control Daily Skin Clearing Treatment (though it doesn’t seem to be terribly effective, so I might not repurchase when I’m done with my current tube)
4) Ego skin cream moisturiser (a God sent for people with sensitive skin)
5) Sunblock

Night
1) Shu Uemura cleanser (a must if I’m wearing make up)
2) Cetaphil daily cleanser (or St Ives exfoliating cleanser if it is exfoliating day)
3) L’Occitane’s Angelica face mask (on exfoliating days)
4) Hada Labo toner
5) Kiehl’s Line Reducing Eye Brightening Concentrate (might try the midnight recovery after this – any suggestions?)
6) Pimple cream
7) Body Shop’s Hemp face protector/moisturiser

And just as a final question, in the comments, a lot of people seem to be using serums. Is there a particular age when I should start? I’m in my early 20s atm.

pol February 21, 2013 at 1:22 am

hurm mine is

day: facial cleanse(BRTC white soap)-toner(BRTC perfect calm)-hydrating serum(BRTC perfect calm)-pore tightener serum(skinfood)-moisturizer(BRTC white gel)-sunsreen(Loreal 50spf)-makeup..:D

Night:same as theday routine, but with addition face mask…:D

having the combination skin make me really frustrated to choose my product wisely and suit for me…