The L’Oreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence : I have intense love and dislike for this one

in Cheap and Good?,Foundation,Makeup,Product Reviews

This L’Oreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence is *drumroll please* a liquid foundation with a built in brush. Don’t be taken in by the essence bit. Its essentially just a liquid foundation in a tube with attached brush. It isn’t even very runny as an essence would be.

loreal white perfect brush7 The LOreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence : I have intense love and dislike for this one

I got this one a little while back and was a bit ho-hum about it initially. I kept taking it out of its box and looking at it, feeling the stiff brush, and then putting it back. I wasn’t sure what to make of it.

But recently, I decided I’d better at least give it a go to see what it was really like. And goshdarnit! I really like this foundation! Ok, one caveat. I like the foundation formula. I dislike the packaging and think it is a TERRIBLE idea icon razz The LOreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence : I have intense love and dislike for this one

Intense Love

Anyway, let me give you the good news first icon smile The LOreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence : I have intense love and dislike for this one I really like the texture of this foundation. It is a little thick but the coverage is really quite good. I’d recommend blending it out on the back of your hand first, before applying to your skin for a lighter finish.

loreal white perfect brush4 The LOreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence : I have intense love and dislike for this one

L’Oreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Foundation Shade N1 Left: straight from tube Right: blended

My shade is N1 which could be the lightest shade. When directly pumped out, the colour is quite a neutral shade and quite suited to my skin tone. You can see that when I sheer it out and blend it on the right, it blends right into my skin. It is also pertinent to note that the amount you see in the picture is all I need for my whole face.

Here’s the ubiquitous unretouched straight from camera before and after photos to show coverage and colour match. I don’t know why I do this icon razz The LOreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence : I have intense love and dislike for this one

loreal white perfect brush2 The LOreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence : I have intense love and dislike for this one

You can see that coverage is pretty good, in that it covers up redness on my skin, and lends a brightening aura to the skin. On the side of my cheek is a red dot which is a spot I’d been picking at, and the redness there is less obvious too. Pigmentation isn’t covered totally but I usually use concealer for that or sometimes I don’t bother because I’m not always fussed about looking flawless all the time. This foundation is one of my to-go foundations for when I want to look nice but not air brushed and fake. If that makes sense icon razz The LOreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence : I have intense love and dislike for this one

I have combination-dry skin and this foundation sits on my skin well for most of the day. I usually do set with some loose or pressed powder so that helps with longevity. Sometimes, depending on whether I stay in the office all day or go gallivanting outside, I may get some oiliness but it isn’t awful nor does it cause my foundation to slip.

Despite the word “Pearl” in its name, there is no shimmer in the product. It does give a slightly brightening effect, which is what I think is related to the “Pearl”. As far as texture, colour and formula goes, I really like this L’Oreal White Perfect Pearl foundation.

Intense Dislike

Now, what was it I didn’t like? The packaging.

The product comes in a tube with a flat brush at the end of it. To dispense the product, you press on the blue base and it pushes out the foundation into the brush which you can then brush on your skin.

loreal white perfect brush3 The LOreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence : I have intense love and dislike for this one

The concept is that of a 2 in 1 product that eliminates the need for a foundation brush and ideally, gives you a smooth flawless finish that a foundation brush can give you.

Sorry, wrong wrong and wrong.

The brush is firstly stiff and on my skin, a little scratchy. It also applies the foundation streaky and too thickly. I tried using the brush 2 times, and both times, I ended up having to smooth out foundation with my fingers and buff it in with a separate brush. I also found that it looked thick on my skin and I didn’t like that.

loreal white perfect brush6 The LOreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence : I have intense love and dislike for this one

According to the instructions on the box and tube, you are to deposit the foundation on the back of your hand, coat your brush with it and then apply to your face. Well, do that if you don’t mind a thick streaky finish. The brush is useless.

It wasn’t until I resorted to using either fingers, or a separate foundation brush that I actually found myself liking the contents of the product, if not the product itself.

Another quarrel I have with a product of this nature is the hygiene element. You can’t wash the brush. I realise its the same problem that we get with brush on concealers and illuminators but for some reason, a larger brush like this one gives me the creeps as opposed to a smaller concealer brush. Just me then icon razz The LOreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence : I have intense love and dislike for this one

In a nutshell

The L’Oreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence is a liquid foundation in a tube with attached brush. The foundation itself has a nice texture. It has light to medium coverage and is buildable. Colour match was good (I take N1) and a little can go a long way. It is quite creamy so you can blend it out further to sheer it out. It covers redness but not pigmentation very much and lasts on my skin. The packaging however, spoils it for me. The brush is quite useless, being stiff and applying the product too thickly and streakily. I recommend using a separate foundation brush or just fingers for best results.

Pros: Good coverage, Good colour match for my skin, Lasts on my skin for most of the day without turning oily, Covers redness on skin and gives a nice glowy brightening aura

Cons: Packaging – the brush is a wash out

I think I have seen a L’Oreal White Perfect Pearl liquid foundation in a normal tube form at the L’Oreal counters. However, I do not know if the texture is the same. If it is, I recommend getting that one and not this product. The built in brush is ideal in theory but in practise, it is just a nuisance.

Granted a concealer packaged similarly doesn’t get at much flack from me, because the brush is smaller, and they do not promise you a flawless finish like this one. I use the built in concealer brush to dab in small corners and use my fingers to blend. Its about the same thing probably, except that a foundation covers a wider area and when the brush promises a flawless finish, I expect it to deliver. Or maybe I just don’t make sense icon razz The LOreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence : I have intense love and dislike for this one

loreal white perfect brush5 The LOreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence : I have intense love and dislike for this one

(1) Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation #51 Light Vanilla (2) L’Oreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence N1 (3) Revlon Age Defying Foundation DNA Advantage #10 Bare Buff (All the shades look a bit different but they all look alright when worn)

Have you tried this brush on foundation? Do you experience the same streaky application with the brush as I do? For the life of me, I can’t get that brush to work. And it feels hard on my skin too. The foundation itself is however, a good one for me. I like how it brightens my skin. I would purchase this if I run out, but only if it came without the brush.

L’Oreal White Perfect Pearl Brush On Whitening Foundation Essence comes in 4 shades Price: RM79.90 (or watch for promotions/sales) Availability: L’Oreal counters (Maybe Asia only)

Disclosure: Featured product was provided by PR for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

Ling
April 11, 2012 at 9:03 am

Hmm…the brush puts me right off too! It looks like it can scratch my face with its stiffness and it looks like a bacteria party ;) So no dear, it’s not just you! It’s me too!!!
Ling recently blogged…Look Like A Pretty Little Liar With Remington Perfect CurlsMy Profile

April 12, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I think Loreal has something similar in Australia but a different foundation. Same packaging. I don’t know why they even bother to be honest. The product is good though.

Dom
April 11, 2012 at 9:14 am

O_o that is one giant piece of packaging. I like the L’oreal shade better than the other two you swatched. It looks a lot healthier and natural. But yeah, a bit geli with the inbuilt brush. Considering that L’oreal is a beauty brand, I’m surprised that they didn’t think to never include the brush or have a detachable one. The general hygiene factor is just … *shiver*

April 12, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I don’t think they even applied their mind to the packaging to be honest. They probably thought it would be a great idea and I’d bet whoever designed it didn’t even try it. Pity, because the product i.e. foundation, was great stuff!

lyn
April 11, 2012 at 9:34 am

I don’t really get it with such packaging for foundation. It’s gimmicky and very unnecessary. It’s a shame though because the product itself sounds pretty good.
lyn recently blogged…Not Quite In a State of Reverie with Chanel Illusion d’Ombre in Riviere 87My Profile

April 12, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I felt the same. Good product, shame about the packaging. I never understood these sort of packaging anyway :P

Jenn
April 11, 2012 at 9:56 am

“Here’s the ubiquitous unretouched straight from camera before and after photos to show coverage and colour match. I don’t know why I do this” – LOL!! You are too funny!! But seriously, keep these pictures coming cuz they are really helpful!!! :D

I tried this one on the back of my hand some time ago and am impressed with it too. Not sure if you experienced this as well (or if this was the result of a highly-abused tester unit), my experience with the blue button is typical of these push-button / clicky-pen type dispensers – i pressed once, nothing happened. Twice, nothing happened either. Then after the third time, a HUGE GLOB came out! Yikes!

My OCD senses are tingling too – not being able to wash the brush meaning bacteria will have a field day spawning in there. Can’t be too hygienic that way! >.<
Jenn recently blogged…Product Review: MAC Pencil Sharpener / DuoMy Profile

April 12, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Oh thank God someone finds the pix useful :P hehe but yes, the packaging is so bad I don’t know how much worse they could have made it, unless they did a rolling liquid foundation :P the initial but took a few pumps before it would appear. Thereafter, I just pump once and it’s out. Maybe towards the end it gets cranky

Sukie April 11, 2012 at 9:58 am

I doubt I will be picking this up seeing the brush is such a menace! But I’m surprised the Revlon foundation works for you as the swatch does look quite dark!
Sukie recently blogged…Hello, you gorgeous thing!My Profile

April 12, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Yup! Surprised me too ;) it works though just like the RMK liquid foundation ;)

ysk
April 11, 2012 at 10:26 am

Oh god,I don’t think I’ll use it for second time as I’m really concern about hygiene.I must use alcohol pad to wipe my phone everyday,so you can know I’m very scared of bacteria XD
ysk recently blogged…Contest and Giveaway:8 Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter to be given away!!My Profile

April 12, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Lol! Ok so no brush for you then

ysk
April 13, 2012 at 1:00 am

Yeah,no brush for me.fyi,I don’t have a makeup brush XD
ysk recently blogged…Review+Tutorial:L’Oréal White Perfect Micro Vibration 3in1 Eye BrightenerMy Profile

Swati
April 11, 2012 at 11:40 am

the brush looks really huge and stiff!!!
Swati recently blogged…How to start caring for your hair? {Hair Care}My Profile

April 12, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Sadly, yes and yes. Too bad cos the product is great stuff

Hanny
April 11, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Bleh, I’ve tried swatching this product and no… I detest the brush. Thank God that I don’t have a match to any of its colors. ^.^
Hanny recently blogged…Week In Photos: Week 8 and 9! (Hanny’s Ipoh Trips!)My Profile

April 12, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Haha yes I think they all tended to be pink.

Germs April 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm

You should see their other foundation that comes with a roller (can’t remember the name offhand).. The roller looks like a house painter’s tool and it just puzzles me as to how on earth that can provide a flawless application without using hands or additional brushes of some sort!
Germs recently blogged…Quirky Money Saving Beauty TipsMy Profile

April 12, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Oh Lordy! Yes! That one is such a menace and have you seen how gunned up the tester gets? Eww! >.<

Helen Nguyen
April 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Lol, the way you decribed the brush sounds scary. But I havent tried this foundation, doubt that I will cause of a bad review from you lol and second, I dont think they have it here in Europe :(

April 12, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Haha yes, I’m afraid it’s as bad as it sounds especially for most of us who will be used to our normal foundation brushes if we use them. I not think you get the White Perfect in Europe, but there is a Revitalift one (red packaging) that also comes in a similar packaging. See if you spot that ;)

April 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm

The foundation itself is actually quite good but the packaging sucks :( I believe L’Oreal has a Lifting foundation (red cap) packaged the same way as this. I saw it in pictures and you might get that in Europe so you can check out the odd brush thing there ;)

Jennifer April 11, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Lol, at the sight of the brush in the picture and post title, I almost knew it was the brush that was the party pooper. I still have not tried applying liquid foundation or any foundation for the record, but the brush is enough to prevent me from considering to try it. I have tried the Lancome foundation and within hours, my face looked like a bronze statue. After I read more of your reviews, then I learnt that it might have been a case of the foundation being oxidized. So I was toying with the idea of using Kiehl’s UV Ultra Light as base, then use mineral foundation instead of liquid. But I don’t know who to check with and what would be a better method for my oily and sensitive skin. Ah, the wonders of make up sometimes…

Good thing though that you liked the product, if only the packaging was not so over zealous :)

April 12, 2012 at 11:45 pm

The new Lancôme foundations have a bad habit of oxidizing. Happens to me too and their colour is too yellow for me so I can’t really use it anymore. I think the Kiehls sunscreen is a bit oily for a base to be honest. I’m presently using a Shiseido sunscreen and that makes a great base and sunscreen in one. A mineral powder may suit you. Those who have very sensitive skins are usually recommended that :)

Sunny
April 11, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Oh no, you’re not the only one. I avoid anything that comes with a brush like plague (as well as lip products that come in a pot)! It’s good to hear/see that the product works, but I still prefer something that doesn’t… come with a stiff brush that I can’t clean. It’s interesting to see a foundation that claims to brighten though. Nowadays a plain old foundation just doesn’t seem good enough anymore ;)
Sunny recently blogged…Skincare Review: Do Changing Seasons Upset Your Skin? Caudalie Vinosource to the Rescue!My Profile

April 12, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Haha yes indeed! Normal foundation doesn’t do anything. People want so much more and here in Asia, it’s all about whitening and brightening. I’m not fussed about that, but it gets tired after a while.

S. April 11, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Too bad for the brush!
I’d love to use a foundation with a built-in brush IF the brush would actually work, I’m that lazy in the morning!
Have a lovely day Paris xx
S. recently blogged…Let’s Get Ready!My Profile

April 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Hi there S! I haven’t found a built in brush for anything that I really liked. The only exception I make is for concealer/illuminators where I am less fussed for some reason, maybe because it doesn’t go on large areas of skin :D

gio April 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I don’t like this kind of packaging either, it’s not hygienic at all. And the brush looks stiff too. What a shame they had to ruin a good product by putting it in such crappy packaging.
gio recently blogged…Wanted! Bond N.9 I Love New York For Mothers FragranceMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm

You said it! I think in other parts of the world, you can find a L’Oreal foundation similarly packaged, but of the Lifting range. I saw some pictures but I haven’t really read many reviews on them.

milktea April 11, 2012 at 7:59 pm

That tube looks rather big in the pix with your hand. I think it could cross-function as a weapon! Try saying “Come any closer and I’ll squirt foundation on you!!” while keeping your thumb poised on the blue base of the tube! ;) Jokes aside, is it possible to wrench/cut off the brush head to get at the foundie inside?

April 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Haha what an imagination! :D I could do that and say “I hope this isn’t your shade!” hehe… ;) I guess I could remove it but it would quite defeat the purpose. So I just use the brush as a dispenser now. I believe this same or similar foundation is available as a tube and that would be packaging that makes sense!

melissa December 15, 2012 at 9:18 pm

now i can’t find it in market………even Watson, Guardian, Jusco and all hypermarket so anybody can give me any suggestion? because i damn like the foundation formula.

December 16, 2012 at 12:29 pm

It might have been discontinued. You can try the White Perfect Foundation which comes in a tube, I believe. It maybe the same formula.