Are you Red-dy to get Plum-tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

in Cheap and Good?,FOTD,Lipstick,Makeup,Product Reviews

I have this little list of must-haves from the pharmacy or drugstores that I turn to whenever I suddenly find myself needing a cosmetic in a hurry. Thus far, its only happened once but who’s to say that it won’t happen again, right? icon wink Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks? This little list of mine consists of makeup brands I will turn to for no-fail or at least, least fail makeup items, and I turn to Maybelline. So far, Maybelline lipsticks have not failed me. They are usually inexpensive, light on the lips and come in different textures to suit different preferences.

maybelline color sensational lipstick6 Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

The newest additions to Maybelline’s lipstick range is the Color Sensational lipstick. I recall there being a range of Color Sensational lipstick from a year or two ago so I think this is an update/upgrade from that one. This range of lipsticks are opaque, pigmented and eye catching. At least the 2 colours I have - 625 Are you Red-dy and 415 Plum-tastic. Check out the swatches icon wink Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

The previous packaging of Maybelline Color Sensational lipsticks were round and if truth be told, looked quite cheap. The packaging has been updated so they now come in a metal tube with a translucent square cover that matches the colour of the lipstick inside. Now, where have we seen it before? icon wink Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

maybelline color sensational lipstick5 Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

I actually find that the plastic of the cover albeit looking elegant, feels brittle, hard and I’m afraid to say, cheap. The metal part is the same. It feels light and cheap without the heft that comes with most of the lipsticks I am used to (albeit those that cost substantially more). So, it always surprises me when I pick this lipstick up, because I use unnecessary force and that can overbalance me if I’m not careful. But at the small price tag these lipsticks come in, I forgive them this packaging oversight.

The other packaging point to note is that the lipsticks come in a traditional teardrop style pointed tip. I’ve been so used to the blunted tips of the new crop of lipsticks to hit the market recently, that using a sharp tip lipstick took a bit of getting used to.

maybelline color sensational lipstick7 Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

I must say however, that due to the strong colour of these 2 that I have, the sharp tip is quite useful for getting a sharper outline of the lips. The blunted tips are more suited to sheerer balmy textured lipsticks. And when I say pigmented, I mean it.

maybelline color sensational lipstick Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick Swatches Left: 415 Plum-tastic Right: 625 Are You Red-dy

These swatches were just with 1 light swipe of the lipstick down the back of my hand. They were swatched new from the tube and you can see that the colour is very strong.

• 415 Plum-tastic: A frosty deep plum shade that applies a deep burgundy on my lips with obvious shine and frost
  • 625 Are you Red-dy: A bright crimson red with a slightly warm undertone that applies creamy with shine but no shimmer

And here we have, the swatches on lips because really, lipstick has to be applied on lips not on the back of your hand for best effect icon razz Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

415 Plum-tastic

maybelline color sensational lipstick3 Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

See what I mean about it looking frosty? It has this metallic shine to it that reminds me too much of the 80’s or maybe 90s – old brains lose track of these things – when metallic lips were all the rage. On me, the metallic shine makes my lips look dry and emphasises lines. I love the colour, I don’t like the texture although its smooth and pigmented and all that.

625 Are you Red-dy

maybelline color sensational lipstick2 Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

This one is more like it! I swatched Are you Red-dy after Plum-tastic and the difference in texture is marked. This one applies creamy and smooth and pigmented. It even has a lovely glossy shine which is really something. What you see is just 1 layer of colour and it is pretty much as true to colour as I can get it. As a red lipstick, I think this is lovely. Its bright (oh yes it is!), its pigmented and it, you might be surprised to know, lasts! For the price tag, if you still haven’t found your red, look into this one icon smile Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

In a nutshell

Maybelline Color Sensational Lipsticks now come in new square packaging with a translucent cover that mirrors the colour of the lipstick. The texture of the 2 I tried are slightly different. Plum-tastic has a metallic sheen which I did not find flattering, whilst Are you Red-dy had a creamier, smoother and glossier finish. Both were light on lips and not drying at all which I appreciated. Both colours are pigmented and apply very smoothly and are worth taking a look simply because the quality belies the small price tag.

Pros: Affordable, Creamy texture and pigmented colour, Light on lips, Not drying

Cons: The metallic sheen in Plum-tastic is not very flattering, The packaging is a bit brittle and flimsy

For the sake of completeness, here’s how both lipsticks look in a full face shot.

maybelline color sensational lipstick4 Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

I’d wear Are you Red-dy in the day because it really brightens up the face, and Plum-tastic looks more suited for an evening look. I did wear Plum-tastic in the day though and paired it with a slightly purplish eye (Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill #3 Purpura) so on an overall basis it didn’t look too gothic or too deep.

UPDATE: I took a spy shot of the Maybelline display so you have an idea of what other colours there are icon wink Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

maybelline color sensational lipstick8 Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

Reckon you’d pick up either of these 2 colours featured here? Or have you tried any other of the 16 shades available in this Maybelline Color Sensational range and would like to share a recommendation? Do you have a no-fail drugstore/pharmacy brand that you go to in a makeup emergency? Maybelline gets my vote for lipstick and mascara (I love the Falsies one) because they are affordable and do the job very well. Yours? icon biggrin Are you Red dy to get Plum tastic with Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipsticks?

Maybelline Color Sensational Lipsticks come in 16 shades locally Price: 29.90 Availability: All Maybelline display counters

Disclosure: Featured products were provided by PR for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

Hanny Daforcena
April 18, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Ooooo!!! The red looks lovely!!!! It makes you look younger than if you were.wearing the plum one.
Hanny Daforcena recently blogged…How I Organize My Makeup Stash!My Profile

April 19, 2012 at 10:52 am

Yup! That plum one is quite ageing. A nice shade, but I think the metallic texture throws it off.

Cas April 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm

You look good in the red. I reckon I’d go with the red too.

April 19, 2012 at 10:53 am

Thank you Cas and I’m sure you’d be stunning in the red too! ;)

Nikki April 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm

PB! We are thinking alike! I just finished a post regarding this gorgeous lippie! Mine is in gorgeous Fifth Ave. Fuchsia which I love so much :)

April 19, 2012 at 10:54 am

EEKS *high5* Great minds think alike and now, I’m going to have to check out the Fuchsia don’t I? Looks absolutely gorgeous on you btw :D

April 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I’ve tried Maybelline Watershine ones and they were not bad. However, same like you, I find the packaging quite cheap and a bit too light. I’m just not used to it. Colour wise, I avoid frosty finish… I have yet to try this one. Saw this at Watsons the other day but didn’t have time to swatch them. It’ll be on my to do list for sure.
Lily recently blogged…Diorsnow D-NA Control White Reveal Day Essence: Love it!My Profile

April 19, 2012 at 10:56 am

I love the Maybelline Watershine lipsticks :D I guess we can’t quite complain about the packaging considering the cost hehe… I’m going to check out a pink in this new range. The texture is great but avoid the frosty finish ones – too ageing and not something we need hehe :P

plue
April 18, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Red is good on you, the plum makes you look aunty-ish a bit if I may say so :)
plue recently blogged…The Lust List #2My Profile

April 19, 2012 at 10:57 am

Of course you can :P I wasn’t too keen on the plum either because of that metallic finish. If it was as creamy as the red without a shimmer then I think it might be alright.

plue
April 19, 2012 at 12:30 pm

maybe it’s the metallic finish, i think i once saw u wearing plummy colour which made you look like rich tai tai? i think the lipstick was from benefit? hehe

April 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I like looking like a rich tai tai! ;-) i can’t remember which colour that is anymore but i can imagine that a creamy formula would make this plum shade really stand out!

Emma EL
April 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm

The red hue really looks good and delicious on u!
Ok, i’m sold! :-P

April 19, 2012 at 10:57 am

Aww thank you Emma and do share which one you pick up eventually! I’m eyeing a pink or maybe rose one :D

Amanda April 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm

They’re both very pretty colours. Red looks great on you ;) I’ve never tried Maybelline lipsticks before. I’m the nude or pink lippie kind of person :D

April 19, 2012 at 11:00 am

I saw quite a nice range of pink and nude lipsticks in this range. I think Maybelline make some of the better drugstore lipsticks but there’s no real need to try them if you’re already happy with what you own ;)

Sunny
April 18, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I love Are you Red-dy on you! You’re right about the frosty sheen in the other one. I’m a bit skittish about frostiness too when it comes to makeup in general. Don’t think it’s too flattering on me personally!
Sunny recently blogged…When You’re Running out of Time, Dior Hydra Life BB Cream Could Save Your Life!My Profile

April 19, 2012 at 11:02 am

Thanks Sunny! I think you’d really rock this colour too :D I honestly do not think metallic frosty finishes work on anyone at all so you aren’t the only one :)

Michelle Beh April 18, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Great looks with sensational nice lipsticks there!! I will always turn into Revlon or Maybelline for drugstore makeup brand because as drugstore brands, these two have a nice range of makeup products which I love quite much!!

April 19, 2012 at 11:05 am

I agree with you Michelle! I tend to look to Revlon and Maybelline too for drugstore purchases. Revlon makes excellent base makeup in my view while Maybelline does good lipsticks :D

Jennifer April 18, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I thought Plum-tastic looked really good but upon application, it’s quite dull. You look fabulous in Are you Red-dy. Two thumbs up! :)

April 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

Thanks Jennifer! I was quite optimistic about Plum-tastic too but when it applied, I was all blehhh….

lavender April 18, 2012 at 9:05 pm

The red is superb on you! Makes you look fresh and young.
lavender recently blogged…How To: Recipe of Home Made Yogurt without fancy equipmentMy Profile

April 19, 2012 at 11:07 am

Thank you lavender – did you try it? :D

lavender April 19, 2012 at 8:58 pm

no i haven’t. I got a Revlon Red but have not opened yet.

germs April 18, 2012 at 9:49 pm

oh you look really gorgeous in the 625! i can never carry red off without looking like a tranny.. shall check the rest of the colours out :)
germs recently blogged…ich bin ein berlinerMy Profile

April 19, 2012 at 11:07 am

Thanks Germs :D I’m sure you can wear red – try a brick red or a browned red to start. Doesn’t have to be bright to be a red lipstick ;)

Ange April 26, 2012 at 9:58 pm

what does “t****” mean? I’ve been told it’s a pejorative, like the N word. anyway, I think both lipsticks look fab on OP, but I like the red colour more. the other thing is I find Maybelline rather spendy considering it’s a drugstore brand. It costs $7.50 USD and I feel like I’d rather spend a little extra to get MAC or another quality brand. What do you think?

Jyoan April 18, 2012 at 11:41 pm

These are really good lipsticks. Creamy enough. (kind of think these are better than Rouge Coco, as they are not as drying. Oops, I said it.)

It is the first that has a red which I dare to wear. =D I chose Red Revival, which is darker than Are You Red-dy, I think? LOL, not too sure. But it is a really great red.

I think these deserve a mass review! haha. I have only been using them quietly, and “secretly” pushing them into a couple of posts so far.

I hope they totally sell like Revlon lip butters. T.T Maybelline not getting enough love yet.

April 19, 2012 at 11:11 am

I’m not quite a fan of Rouge Coco so I’m with you there! Hehe… I thought I was the only one who found Rouge Coco drying. I’ll check out Red Revival. Are you Red-dy is such a bright red, a nice deeper red may be better for everyday use. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I tried these lipsticks out but I think they are great stuff and definitely deserve the hype that the Revlon Lip Butters have garnered. The only reason they haven’t I think is because no one else is hyping them up so its up to us! ;)

Sherry April 19, 2012 at 12:38 am

Omg.. So pretty.. Love u I red color. So tempting..

April 19, 2012 at 11:11 am

Thanks.

S. April 19, 2012 at 1:38 am

I absolutely love the red one!
S. recently blogged…BUFF’D Moonlight – Magnetic – BittersweetMy Profile

April 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

Thanks S – do you get this one where you are? :)

S. April 19, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I don’t think they’re available yet!
It usually takes months for products to arrive in Italy, don’t know why.
Well, I guess I’ll wait and look at your pics in the meantime :D

April 22, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Aww I’m sure you’ll get them soon, S and by then you’d have an idea which you want maybe ;)

Jess April 19, 2012 at 2:50 am

I got the Are you Red-dy and absolutely adore it ! I didnt know I could wear red too.. now I know why you really like red lipstick, really brighten up the whole look immedately!

April 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

Yup! This particular one is really very bright and cheery. I think its a great shade for almost anyone and unlike many other reds, it actually makes us look young too yay! ;)

dom
April 19, 2012 at 9:03 am

*sigh* the red is SO gorgeous. the budget price makes it even more irresistible. i think you look better with the red – your face just lights up and looks so pretty!
dom recently blogged…Re-Review: SK-II Facial Treatment Essence and a Compliments-Worthy ContestMy Profile

April 19, 2012 at 11:16 am

Thanks Dom :D I’m all for the red too. Was thinking the plum would work but when I saw the frost I was like meh… forget that!

milktea April 19, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Omg! Such an improvement is worth talking about! :) I did not expect such good pigmentation from Maybelline. Playing catch up with Revlon and getting close too. I like plum-tastic, I can see myself wearing it. The red looks great on you, but for me, I’m still too shy to wear strong reds. ^^

April 19, 2012 at 12:56 pm

There are 16 shades so I’m sure you can find something ;-) I’m going to look for a pink!

gio April 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I love the red one! Looks great on you!

April 22, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Thanks Gio! I prefer that one too

Kim May 8, 2012 at 8:28 pm

You look great in red, Paris! :) Do you prefer Maybelline Color Sensational ‘Are You Red-dy’ or Revlon Colourburst ‘True Red’? I’m torn between the two!

May 9, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Thank you Kim. I think they are both great reds from the pharmacy brands :) texture wise, both work well too and are creamy. Hard to choose to be honest!