L’Oreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

in Cheap and Good?,Eyeshadow,FOTD,Makeup,Product Reviews

The L’Oreal Infallible Color eyeshadows have gotten a lot of press recently, and mostly good. I had been quite curious about it ever since I came across mention of it, because I already had the Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill shadows at that time, and I’d read that the L’Oreal ones were similar in terms of texture (but not in colour complexity). I picked up my first – Permanent Kaki 009 at Changi Airport last year. There were very limited colours available and I never thought to write about it for various reasons (mostly related to forgetfulness).

loreal infallible eyeshadow2 LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

As far as I know, Singapore has some of these L’Oreal Infallible shadows but they are notoriously hard to find. If anyone from Singapore wants to chip in as to where one may find these babies, please do! icon smile LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype? Locally in Malaysia, I’ve gotten conflicting reports about whether we will get these. Some say yes, the PR people said no but I still hold out hope! icon smile LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

I picked up 2 of the deeper shades – Eternal Black and All Night Blue – on my most recent visit to Hong Kong but the rest were a surprise from my fairy godmother, Tracy all the way from Canada! icon biggrin LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype? *mwaks*

loreal infallible eyeshadow5 LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

Now that I actually have more of them, I am more inclined to blog about it icon smile LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype? Most of you when surveyed on Facebook, preferred to see all colours in one post (hence the delay) but here we are! Some thoughts, swatches and a couple of looks I pulled off. Plus I’ll also tell you if its worth lusting after these, and how does the shadow really looks when its shattered all over the floor (and why you shouldn’t panic). Yes indeed. Lots to see so grab a coffee or tea and sit back. Here we go! icon biggrin LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

Some of you may be wondering if these are cream shadows and if so, are they even worth the bother because cream shadows dry out. If these were cream shadows, I’d not even bother to be perfectly honest. I don’t “collect” cream shadows, because they do dry out and when they do, its icky. So I’m happy to report that despite how they look in the tub, these are NOT cream shadows. Rejoice! icon biggrin LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

loreal infallible eyeshadow4 LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

Top L-R: 001 Time Resist White, 002 Hourglass Beige, 004 Forever Pink, 006 All Night Blue

Bottom L-R: 007 Unlimited Sky, 009 Permanent Kaki, 014 Eternal Black, 015 Flashback Silver

The names here are the Canadian and Asian versions which by some stroke of luck, match. I believe the Europe versions also carry similar names. The USA versions carry a different name but I don’t know if the colours match up. I wish brands would be more standardized in this global age.

Anyhoo… these are in fact powder eyeshadows. Surprised? If you can imagine loose powder shadows or pigments, ready pressed into a container, you will be able to grasp the concept. The colours are in the main shimmery with very good color pay off and adheres to the skin very well.

loreal infallible eyeshadow LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

(1) 001 Time Resist White – shimmer white (2) 002 Hourglass Beige – shimmer beige (3) 004 Forever Pink – shimmer pale pink (4) 006 All Night Blue – shimmer midnight blue (5) 007 Unlimited Sky – shimmer pale blue (6) 009 Permanent Kaki – shimmer green-gold (7) 014 Eternal Black – black with silver sparkles (8) 015 Flashback Silver – shimmer silver with purple tint

Descriptions are my own as I perceive them and these swatches were with 2 layers. One layer is very pigmented, but 2 gives you the opacity and intensity you see here. Its pretty impressive stuff! Provided you like shimmer of course. If you don’t, you will sniff at these in disdain.

The happy news is that the shimmer isn’t crazy or overboard. Barring Eternal Black which has silver glitter in it, the rest are fine and flattering albeit a bit metallic.

I find that due to the texture, I apply these best using fingers. They adhere to the skin much better and due to the shimmering texture, I often use these on their own with no other complementing colour, just liner and mascara. It actually works very well and saves a lot of time in the mornings icon biggrin LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

My favourite colours are Hourglass Beige (the perfect “nude” shadow that gives me a my lids but better look), Flashback Silver (this one is very flattering on my skin used on its own) and All Night Blue (Lovely midnight navy blue that makes a lovely smokey eye). I surprised myself as to why I didn’t pick the green and although its pretty I didn’t feel that it was very special in any way. I hear there’s an Emerald shade available and if so, I’d really want that one!

Here are some examples of how I wear and wore these L’Oreal Infallible shadows.

loreal infallible green LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

Permanent Kaki worn on its own, heavier near the lash line and blended out towards the top. Its a pretty colour and very refreshing.

loreal infallible beige2 LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

Hourglass Beige worn on its own with prominent liner and lots of mascara. The colour matches my skintone and its a very nice natural sort of look, with just a hint of shimmer on the eyes. Its very good for a lazy everyday sort of look or as I did, for travelling. I didn’t want to fuss about with makeup too much so this one was perfect for a polished look without taking too much trouble. I highly recommend this color icon smile LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

loreal infallible beige LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

I wore it with a bright cheek (Dior Rosy Glow) and lip (Guerlain Violine Kiss Kiss Essence gloss) and it looks very fresh and understated.

I love wearing Flashback Silver on its own with a nice dark liner and mascara but when I picked up Eternal Black and paired it together, I really loved it! Its a very nice smokey-ish eye look that I quite easily rock in the day time (less black, more silver) and which has a surprising enlarging effect on the eyes.

loreal infallible black LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

And for an idea of how I wore it with the rest of my face, it was quite simple icon smile LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype? I love wearing black shadow because it really goes with everything icon biggrin LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

loreal infallible black2 LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

See, its not all that dressed up on the eyes is it? Quite a basic sort of look that is super easy to pull off because you just literally swipe on and go. If you want it darker, increase the black and reduce the silver.

I must note that I do not have oily lids so these shadows lasts most of the day for me. By late evening, there is some fading but minimal creasing and I did not experience fall out. It might be because my lids aren’t oily and because I use fingers to apply these shadows. I did try with a brush but I found it too much of a bother to build up colour. I prefer fingers for this one (which makes this so much easier and faster too!)

In a nutshell

L’Oreal Infallible Color Eyeshadows are a new style pressed powder eyeshadow that are actually pressed loose shadows in a pot. The colours aren’t very complex and contain shimmer which may not may not be your cup of tea. I find that they apply best with fingers and they adhere well to the skin. I don’t experience fading or creasing until late in the evening after about 12 hours wear and no fall out but I do not have oily lids. I like the texture and the fact that you can get away with using just 1 colour all over your lid for most of the colours. If you have access to these, I think they are absolutely worth getting. I don’t know if they are coming into Malaysia due to conflicting reports but it would be lovely if they did icon smile LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

Pros: Nice soft texture makes it easy for fingers to pick up colour, Colours are relatively opaque and intense with shimmer, Quite long lasting on non oily lids, A powder shadow that looks like a cream but does not dry out

Cons: Unavailable in some countries for now, Packaging is quite fiddly due to the “cap” inside

I had a little accident while I was taking the photos for this post, and ended up with Eternal Black all over my floor. It was however quite a good (albeit messy) way of learning just what sort of texture these shadows really are and thats when I learnt first hand, that they are in fact, pressed powder eyeshadows. They are compacted into the tub and there really isn’t very much of it in the tub – just 3.5g. If you try to pick up a piece, it crumbles quite easily.

loreal infallible eyeshadow3 LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

I somehow managed to get most of the larger pieces back into the pot and using that cover/damper thingy included, pressed down on the broken bits. It did get the shadow pressed back together although it didn’t quite look brand new any longer. Still, its better than just chucking it, were it a regular pressed powder shadow!

So do not toss that cover inside the pot. It will help you press back all the loose bits of the shadow after use and in the event of an accident like mine, helps you put everything back together again.

If you’d like to see any specific colour here featured in more detail, please do holler. I wasn’t sure if there might be a demand hence this picture and word heavy post. I do think a single shadow review may be easier to digest but this helps you visualize them all together icon smile LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

Have you tried these L’Oreal Infallible Color Eyeshadows yet? Do you like them or are you not too keen on all that shimmer? I like these very much and would love to get more colours. I saw a deep chocolate and deep plum in Hong Kong but they looked like mud on me so I passed. I am on the lookout for the Emerald and Gold one so… anyone knows where I can look? icon wink LOreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow : What are these shadows and are they worth the hype?

L’Oreal Infallible Color Eyeshadow pots Price: HKD89/S$14+ (that I paid) Availability: Not in Malaysia yet. Regionally available in Hong Kong and limited shades in Singapore

xin March 12, 2012 at 9:16 am

i am definitely going to pick up one if i see one on the shelf one day, just out of curiosity :D

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Yes do! There are quite a few colours to choose from ;)

cat March 12, 2012 at 9:16 am

Totally forgot about this when i was in HK! I should have gone 1 week after your trip. Haha

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm

LOL!! I hope you find a way to get hold of these one way or another… or keep our fingers crossed that we see it locally soon :)

LeGeeque March 12, 2012 at 9:21 am

We’ll get them soon as soon as Melbourne Fashion Week kicks off in full blast. I’m really curious about them. Can you do a greater in depth review on Permanent Kaki? Thanks :) (this deliberately misspelling khaki for kaki is driving me batty. Grrrrrrrrrr)

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:26 pm

HAHA I know! That whole Khaki – Kaki thing is mind boggling. Why???

Ee Von March 12, 2012 at 9:30 am

only managed to grab one only because it is quite pricey here in oz. but i LOVE it, i got burning black, a blackened burgundy. i completely agree, you don’t need any other shadows with it, they look beautiful on its own! i don’t like dirtying my fingers so i use it with a brush, spritz it with water to prevent fall out. the intensity is wowzers!

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Sounds like such a pretty shade! Blackend Burgandy which I just know will make me look like I didn’t sleep for a week ;) The quality is pretty awesome eh?

Tine March 12, 2012 at 9:35 am

I’ve seen these at Priceline but wasn’t too keen on them, to be honest, because of how fiddly they are. I’m not a fan of loose pigment powders at all because I’m crap at using them. Still, I think I’ll get ONE to try. Hopefully it’ll change my mind :P

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I used to be a HUGE fan of loose shadows and pigments, mostly due to the shimmer factor. I’m a secret magpie :D I hope you liked the ones you picked up :)

Applegal March 12, 2012 at 9:39 am

Love Hourglass Beige! The silver one looks really good too. Can’t wait to see how you’d wear All Night Blue, looks like a beautiful colour.

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm

It is! I’ll try to take some pictures with All Night Blue – its the colour I’d got my eyes on for the longest time.

dom March 12, 2012 at 9:50 am

Wah you look so cute in the last picture! I’m really liking Permanent Kaki, though like Geeque, the deliberate misspelling is driving me bonkers.

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Thanks Dom :D I’m not sure why I wasn’t feeling Permanent Kaki (Permanent Leg???) But it just doesn’t look as vibrant on me as something more intense although I think it would work better once I mix in some different colours :)

electronicfly March 12, 2012 at 10:20 am

*whimpers* lemming regained T.T

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:29 pm

*reins lemming in*

mrsdjones March 12, 2012 at 10:23 am

Permanent Kaki and All Night Blue look so gorgeous when swatched! I might give it a try once it is here in Malaysia ;)

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Let’s hope the rumours are true and that we’ll get these in here in due time. I’m keeping my fingers crossed too… because I could do with some new shades :D

Tracy March 12, 2012 at 10:57 am

Yay!! I’m glad you like them and they got there safe! :)
You look so good in them!! You’re making me want to get more! :)

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Thank you so much Tracy! *hugs* I think you would like the deeper colours better. They seem less metallic and shimmery but still interesting :)

Jess March 12, 2012 at 11:22 am

i like hourglass beige too!! should try my ways to get this !

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Time to call in favours from friends headed to Hong Kong perhaps? :)

Honey March 12, 2012 at 11:25 am

Oh yeah, gonna get these when I see ‘em. I’m not good with loose pigment powders but these look workable. Colour payoff also looks great.

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:33 pm

The best part is that this isn’t loose so it won’t fly everywhere :) Its compacted so it actually feels like a cream. Wish we’d hurry up and get them here so you know what I’m going on about LOL! :)

beetrice March 12, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I remember seeing them in either Guardian or Watsons in Suntec a while back, but didn’t pay much attention at the time. The Burning Black shade Eevon got is super droolworthy, as is the Permanent Kaki (feet??) shade above. Hmmm…should I succumb or not…*ponders*

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:34 pm

If you see them, succumb woman!!! :P

Nikki March 12, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I wonder why we do not have much L’Oreal cosmetics down here! Just the basics and not much fun!!! I haven’t seen these when I was in Malaysia (I wonder why).

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:35 pm

We don’t get these here too Nikki :P I had to “import” them from overseas LOL!

jen March 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm

i love the black & silver duo on you! :)
i would like to see you w/ forever pink and i suggest u get other colors too, like continuous cocoa and tough as taupe.. i’ve read good reviews about it but haven’t got it for myself bcoz it’s not available here in the phils. yet.. :)

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thanks Jen :D I’ll try to give Forever Pink a try. I am eyeing some of the other colours but seeing as we don’t get them here (and I’m not sure if the colours from the US overlap with those from elsewhere) I’m going to wait for a bit and hope they come in :)

gio March 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm

The colors are so pretty! I have been wanting to try these eyeshadows for ages, but they outrageously overpriced here, which is really offputting *sighs*

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Oh dear! Its a pity to know they are overpriced where you are Gio :( Especially when you actually have access to them too!

vivavoomz March 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Mad gorgeous. I haven’t picked them up because I couldn’t decide what colours to get in Singapore. We have mostly greens and golds here. Wish they’ll bring over the entire collection.

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I saw some swatches online of the colours you got in Singapore – very pretty! But I think part of a gold based collection hence the golden tone to them :) Well at least you guys get them there!

Marina (Makeup4all) March 12, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Ahh, I love these. I’ve decided to pick a new shade every month :D

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Lucky you Marina! I do think they are definitely worth picking up :D

milktea March 12, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Ahhh… it’s so nice to finally see these 24hr Infallible pots in real life and in Malaysia! :) I’m so glad you confirmed the creaminess and high pigmentation of these powder shadows. At least that part wasn’t total hype. Bet these shadows would look stunning applied wet!

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:54 pm

The texture is lovely and so is the colour. I haven’t tried them wet (I don’t like using shadows wet) but I tried them over a primer and its BLING! :D I do hope they come in at some point, so we can ALL play with them :)

Sunny March 12, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Oh Paris, you’re a true beauty blogger! You even took pictures of the shattered eyeshadow! I’d probably be so angry that I’d forget to do it!

You actually collected all 8 colors that are available in Belgium! I don’t own any, because the one I want the most (Emerald Lame) is sadly not available here. I do like how pigmented they are though, and the shimmer doesn’t bother me :p

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:58 pm

LOL!! I’m a true blogger aren’t I? Always camera ready even for a disaster hehe… ;) I didn’t know these are all the colours available in Belgium! What a stroke of luck :D I’m really interested in Emerald Lame too but it seems to be a limited edition colour that isn’t even sold everywhere in the world. I wonder what the story behind the limited distribution of these shadows :P If these are the same colours you get in Belgium, I’m not surprised that you didn’t get any, because the colours do tend to be a bit cool while I think you lean warm? :)

Sunny March 13, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Seriously you are! Oh and I just took a closer look. I think we don’t get Flashback Silver, but we get Purple Obsession in its place. I do lean warm (amazing memory you have, Paris), but I think I can actually pull some of these off relatively easily. It’s just that, you know, people always want what they can’t have lol

I don’t know why L’Oreal has to mess with these either. All the shadows get different names and numbers in the US, and then some countries get these but not those… It honestly can’t be some kind of marketing strategy? lol

Paris B March 16, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Lol! I know exactly what you mean, Sunny! We always are looking over to see what else people have. Would love to know what you think of these if you pick up any. So far, reviews have been pretty impressive across the board :)

Candy March 12, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Apparently, they’ve been pulled from the shelves in Singapore (yeah, even before I noticed they’re here). But you can find limited shades at Swantons in Chinatown, and at least SaSa at Holland Village. At Swantons, it’s going for S$11 or S$11.90 each!

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Oh darn! They are pulled out of Singapore? Bleh… :P

Connie De Alwis March 12, 2012 at 10:48 pm

For some reason, I’m not tempted :-/ *shrugs* They do look pigmented and smooth though

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I know why! Its because its shimmery! LOL :D I think you will like some of the deeper shades available – the chocolate and plum one will be really pretty on your warm skintone!

BunBunMakeupTips March 13, 2012 at 2:52 am

I love them! I have Emerald Lame, Bronze Goddess and Goldmine – three out of five in Singapore. I’m wondering which one did you get at Changi Airport, coz I only saw 5 shades on our shelves. I mentioned them here if you’re keen to know which ones: http://bunbunmakeuptips.com/loreal-color-infallible-shades-in-singapore-black-onyx-sahara-treasure-goldmine-bronze-goddess-emerald-lame/

Paris B March 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Mmm… lucky you! You have 2 of the colours I’m eyeing :D I got Permanent Kaki at the airport. They only had 3 colours – Permanent Kaki, Eternal Black and another shade I don’t recall. It was on clearance though and before they were even found outside of the airport, so I’m not sure what’s happening :P

Luna March 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm

These are great! Easy to work with, long-lasting and nice range of shades.. I picked up a few of the US shades recently and I found it slightly annoying that they release different shades in different territories!

Paris B March 16, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I was so confused by the US shades I decided to just stick to the Asia/Europe ones. Im afraid I’d end up with a duplicate colour with a different name! Wish they could be consistent in their releases and names :P

Lily March 14, 2012 at 11:14 am

I’ve been trying them and they’re not too shabby. I have bronzed taupe and emerale sage – American version. They do crease on oily lids if applied without a primer though ;-)

Paris B March 16, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Thanks for the heads up for these on oily lids. I guess I should count myself lucky. Been wearing them the whole week and they go at least 12 hours with no problems for me which impresses me no end. I hear Bronzed Taupe is pretty. Will await your review then :)