Let’s Start At The Very Beginning : Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner – What got me hooked on cleansing oils

in Cleanser,Discussions,Product Reviews

The number of cleansing oils I’ve dabbled in is mind boggling (read about all the cleansing oils I’ve tried here if you have the time :P ). The number grows day after day because I’m always a little curious about the cleansing oils out there. But how did I fall into this trap then?

Let’s start at the very beginning… icon smile Lets Start At The Very Beginning : Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner   What got me hooked on cleansing oils

kanebo blanchir oil Lets Start At The Very Beginning : Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner   What got me hooked on cleansing oils

I was first introduced to cleansing oils and the concept of double cleansing through Kanebo. I’ve been going to their salons for facials for years and still am! I picked up my first bottle of the Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner there. Despite the rather strange name, what this is, is a cleansing oil – or the first step in the double cleansing routine.

I went through quite a few bottles in my time, before I started branching out. Recently, I decided to go back to this (Its gone through about 3 changes in packaging since the first time I used it) and wouldn’t you know? I fell back in love with it! So, here we are, revisiting my first love and wondering why I ever strayed icon smile Lets Start At The Very Beginning : Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner   What got me hooked on cleansing oils

I must say that I love the packaging. The tall red bottle is elegant and I love how it looks in the shower. Superficial thoughts, but there you go icon smile Lets Start At The Very Beginning : Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner   What got me hooked on cleansing oils The pump is very good. It dispenses just the right amount you need, and 2 to 3 pumps is what I use every evening. Its pricey, but I’ve also learnt that you need sufficient oil to do a decent cleansing job of your skin. (You can read some of my tips for using cleansing oils effectively here and also here)

There is no scent and unlike many cleansing oils I’ve used since, the texture of this one isn’t very oily at all. Its in fact, got a slightly thick viscous texture and does not feel like oil on the skin, rather like a thick clear liquid gel. I’m not sure if I’m making any sense, but it feels different.

2-3 pumps of this product coats my skin with a layer of the oil and allows me enough lubrication to massage off the day’s dirt and makeup. I find that sometimes, while massaging the oil on my skin, I feel these little gritty bits under my fingers which I’m told is dirt getting dislodged from our skin, and sometimes also, when I run my fingers over a congested bit of skin (usually around my chin) I find blackheads being dislodged. This is part of the reason I like my cleansing oils. Those that do work for me, do an excellent job at cleaning my skin and contrary to the name, do not clog my pores (unless the ingredients do not agree with my skin). This one however, seems to do a better job than many others I’ve used and I’m just noticing it recently, now that I’m reusing it.

kanebo blanchir oil3 Lets Start At The Very Beginning : Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner   What got me hooked on cleansing oils

The only down side is that I’ve found that this one does not remove waterproof eye makeup very well. I therefore take a little time to remove my eye makeup first these days, before using this to remove my facial makeup. There are additional benefits to doing this as I will share with you in a later post icon smile Lets Start At The Very Beginning : Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner   What got me hooked on cleansing oils

When water is introduced, the oil turns into a milky liquid and cleans off quite easily without leaving my skin feeling dry or tight or over-cleansed. This is something I like. Some cleansing oils leave my skin feeling stripped but this doesn’t, and my skin feels soft and clean. I love it! icon biggrin Lets Start At The Very Beginning : Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner   What got me hooked on cleansing oils

In a nutshell

The Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner is a cleansing oil that does not feel like a traditional cleansing oil in that it does not feel oily like most. It feels almost like a thick viscious gel and the clear liquid does not get everywhere when you apply it to the skin. The thickness of the liquid makes it easy to massage the skin and it cleans my skin very well without drying it out. My skin feels soft and very clean without feeling dry or stripped. Although its pricey, I find that I use less and it lasts longer than most.

Pros: Skin feels clean and soft and smooth without drying out, I like the slightly thicker texture, Emulsifies easily without leaving an oily feel on the skin, Packaging looks good

Cons: Does not clean off waterproof eye makeup as well as some other cleansing oils, Pricey

The Kanebo Blanchir line is also a skin brightening range and I believe that this cleansing oil also helps the skin look brighter and clearer. Does it work for this? I’m not sure, but I do like this one and my skin is presently looking much better than its had for a long time. I’m not sure if its related. Its pricier than most cleansing oils I use, but it feels like it does a better job than most and I actually use less so it lasts longer.

I’m fickle about my cleansing oils, and I rotate them a lot. I have the ones I like from the lower end of the price scale, which I am always more generous with when I use. I however do not try many higher end cleansing oils, this being one of the rare few I have. I am curious though … as always icon biggrin Lets Start At The Very Beginning : Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner   What got me hooked on cleansing oils

Has anyone used the Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner and like it too? Do you like cleansing oils too? If you do, which is your favourite? icon biggrin Lets Start At The Very Beginning : Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner   What got me hooked on cleansing oils

Kanebo Blanchir Make Off Conditioner Cleansing Oil Price: Last known price was RM125 /150ml Availability: Kanebo counters and salons nationwide

LeGeeque March 15, 2012 at 8:35 am

Yay for cleansing oils! And yes, I agree with you, it does a good job at dislodging black heads and white heads too (yuck! gross!). Because of my fickle skin, I’ve only used Shu Uemura and have not got the guts to venture far to experiment. I love that it removes everything and makes my skin feel so clean! The comfortable sort of clean. I usually use the oil at the vanity and then hop into the shower to cleanse my face with my regular cleanser. That way, I can be sure every last trace of the oil cleanser has been washed off.

March 16, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I can’t use Shu but yep! I love that its so much easier to remove makeup and cleanse ski at one go. I actually keep my oils in the shower (away from the actual water of course) and use it before I actually shower. I find warm water works much better to emulsify the oils too :)

Jenn Wan March 15, 2012 at 9:02 am

Hi,

A bit off topic – you mentioned that you go to their salons for facials. Are the beauticians there pushy in getting you buy their products? I have always wanted to try these sort of facial salons but hate getting pushed to buy their products.

March 16, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Hi Jenn, I’ve been going to their salons for quite a few years now. I only stayed on because they aren’t as pushy as others I’ve been to. They do make suggestions on what you could purchase or they do tell you about packages they have but if you decline, they don’t usually push on. I could never have stayed at a salon if they were pushy ;)

Rahainah
March 15, 2012 at 9:06 am

I LOOOVE cleansing oil, and you actually introduced me to it! :D
I agree will this post, only that I use a cheaper one –> Hada Labo SHA Cleansing Oil. It’s my first cleansing oil purchased and I was skeptical initially but after using it, I totally fell in love with it. My skin doesn’t react to it and what I love about this cleansing oil is that when I massage it on my face, I felt the oil warmed up to the heat from my palm and like you said, I could feel those gritty bits and I know it’s working on unclogging my pores.
Thanks so much Paris, for loving cleansing oil! You got me converted! :D

March 16, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Oh wow! Can’t believe I got ou hooked onto cleansing oils :D I’m glad you are liking the benefits of using it and that the Hada Labo one works for you. That broke me out but it’s a pity because it would have been so much more affordable :)

Sonia March 15, 2012 at 9:12 am

Cleaning oil works for my skin especially with make-up.
I like Biore (pink bottle). Is cheap and works well.

March 17, 2012 at 12:00 am

Indeed! I like the one step makeup remover and cleansing process :) sadly the Biore breaks me out but glad to hear it works for you :)

Sonia March 15, 2012 at 9:17 am

For waterproof eyeliner, you may try Simple eye remover, it works for me as I only use waterproof eyeliner and mascara.

March 17, 2012 at 12:00 am

Im using the Biore eye makeup remover. Have you tried that? Works quite well :)

Hanny
March 15, 2012 at 9:21 am

I discovered that to remove the stubbornest of gel liners and mascaras, you need to massage/rub the area gently a little longer. Most of the times it’s not the product that you cannot remove, but the “residue” of the black products left when you clean them off. Took me a LONG time to realize that hahaha
Hanny recently blogged…Hmmm… This Looks Familiar But Not Review: Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner in Black and SilverMy Profile

March 17, 2012 at 12:02 am

I find that some waterproof mascara are more stubborn than others, because some if them do wash out with warm water although they are waterproof. I love those. Massaging the eye area with the oil does work but there are reasons why I don’t like that. Will be sharing some thoughts about this very topic soon ;)

Tine
March 15, 2012 at 9:34 am

Oh my, I remember this! You blogged about this donkey years ago! This was what got me hooked onto cleansing oils. Whenever I go for facials at Kanebo, the beauty therapist would use this to cleanse my face. I had a number of samples of these, bottles which I still keep to pour cleansing oil in when I travel :P

My favourite cleansing oils are from Biore (the one that you don’t like :P) and Dermalogica (PreCleanse). After reading Sesame’s post on double-cleansing when you use sunscreen, I’ve taken to doing this on a daily basis, whether I have makeup on or not.

March 17, 2012 at 12:04 am

Haha yes! I talked about this years and years ago and I really do like it still which is a relief :D I quite like the Dermalogica one too and I also double cleanse when I don’t use makeup but intake a day off once a week if I don’t at makeup. I’m not sure why, but I just do lol!

March 15, 2012 at 10:03 am

Have you tried Bobbi Brown’s oil cleanser? I like that and Shu Uemura’s. I’m now trying DHC and Hada Labo but I’m still loving the texture of the previous two. Haven’t tried this before though. It’s definitely on my “to try” list =)
Lily recently blogged…Lining your Eyes 201: Wing It x2My Profile

March 17, 2012 at 12:05 am

I tried a sample of the Bobbi Brown oil. I remember liking the light texture and the scent but I never bought it. Shu Uemura and DHC oils break me out as does Hada Labo :(

Mira
March 15, 2012 at 10:14 am

I’ve used Hada Labo before and it cause me breakouts. I don’t know what is inside it that cause me breakouts. I bought a big bottle and aft using it for like 4 times, I have to toss it away. Then I used SK-II cleansing oil. Its really good, i can feel something coming out from my face when I use it, dirt on my face maybe, or blackheads. haha… I never change to any brands aft that. The Kanebo Blanchir looks nice, I might wanna try it when I finish my SK-II. ^^

March 17, 2012 at 12:08 am

I break it from Hada Labo too so its not just you :) for me, the ingredient that causes problems is olive oil. So I stay away from oils that contain olive oil. I haven’t tried SKII yet but it sounds like a good one! If you do try the Kanebo Blanchir one I hope you’ll like it :)

Nikki March 15, 2012 at 10:35 am

I haven’t tried this exact brand but your question made me think, WHEN DID I REALLY START on cleansing Oils? I do know it’s Shu but I’m not sure how I learned about it, I just know I was at the Shu counter trying on the green variant and even circled round the area deciding if I should really spend THAT Much for a makeup cleanser :) Obviously, the answer was YES so that’s where it all started!

:D

March 17, 2012 at 12:08 am

Lol I know what you mean about thinking if I should spend so much on a cleaner, but I’m glad I did! :D

Kate March 15, 2012 at 10:52 am

On a totally unrelated note, you got me humming do-re-mi all day long after reading the title of your post haha. As always I enjoy reading your posts!

milktea March 15, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I am also experiencing “Sound-of-Music syndrome” after saw the title of her post.. :)

March 17, 2012 at 12:09 am

Haha you, Kate are the first person to notice and mention this, and guess what? It’s exactly what I intended. I was humming it all morning too lol!

Kate March 19, 2012 at 2:29 am

Good call PB! :D Thanks to you I have a feel-good song resonating in my head all day long haha! Now on a more related note, I too am a fan of cleansing oils and have tried a fair share of offerings but I veered away after trying RMK’s cleansing balm… and might I add, haven’t looked back since!

March 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm

*makes notes* RMK Cleansing Balm you say? I’m going to probably regret this, but will take a look next time I pass by a counter teehee… ;)

Ling
March 15, 2012 at 11:14 am

Oooh! This is a pretty bottle! Sorry, I’m a sucker for packaging!! I haven’t tried Kanebo skincare before but for you to return to it, it’s gotta be good, right?
Ling recently blogged…L’Oreal Paris Nude Magique BB Cream – Review & SwatchMy Profile

March 17, 2012 at 12:12 am

Haha yes! The bottle is so simple and elegant isn’t it? Compared to the rest out there. I used to use Kanebo skincare for the most part, the whole range! But I now just use the ones that work best for me, because I learnt that not everything in a range works for me :P

xin
March 15, 2012 at 11:19 am

recently, i have the habit of removing eye makeup first before using cleansing oil to cleanse the face, so now it doesn’t really matter if the cleansing oil can’t remove waterproof stuff very well anymore :D

March 17, 2012 at 12:13 am

Whoa! High 5! I’ve been doing this too after a long time and I think it’s better actually. Thoughts will come soon! ;)

missoopsie March 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm

tried estee lauder’s cleansing oil. caused lots of breakouts. never dare touch any cleansing oil again…

March 17, 2012 at 12:16 am

Ooh I’d never come across a cleansing oil by Estée Lauder! Do you have the name? It might be something in there that doesn’t agree with your skin, which is a pity!

missoopsie March 23, 2012 at 9:32 am

it was in a dark blue bottle, that i’m sure. but the name, i think it was ‘take it away’ if i did not mix it up with something else. that was at least 3 years ago.

March 23, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Ah ok I looked it up and it must have slipped through my radar because I don’t remember it. Maybe they don’t make it anymore :)

Jess March 15, 2012 at 12:13 pm

my favourite would be hada labo & sofymo one :) nowadays to be on the safer side i used biore cleansing oil in cotton wipes first before i use cleansing oil if i am on heavy makeup, or else immediately i go for cleanser if there is no eye makeup at all

March 17, 2012 at 12:18 am

Yay for Softymo! They should seriously start bringing it back here :P

Applegal March 15, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Shu Uemura all the way! Removes everything including waterproof mascara.

March 17, 2012 at 12:19 am

Glad shunworks for you :) breaks me out something awful :(

milktea March 15, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I have a Kanebo Freshel cleansing oil but I’ve stopped using it. Too oily at first, then too stripping after fully cleansed.. :( The SA at the Kanebo warehouse sale tried to persuade me to get the red Blanchir cleansing oil (your fave) but I demurred based on price point. Ooh, regret lah now! Currently using DHC deep cleansing oil. I can feel the gritty bits with this one! ;)

March 17, 2012 at 12:20 am

I used to use Freshel too. I thought it was alright. Not wonderful, but not awful for me although I found I needed a lot of it to work well, and it was a little drying. The DHC oil is supposed to be very good too. Too bad it breaks me out so I can’t compare :P

espenine March 15, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I like Kanebo (better than Shiseido) and I love cleansing oils! :) This one has fallen off my radar after I gave my loyalty to FANCL cleansing oil for years. But now that you mentioned it, I think I will pledge my loyalty to it again. My love for cleansing oil knows no bounds. :)

March 18, 2012 at 12:16 am

A girl after my own heart :D I haven’t tried the Fancl oil you’ve mentioned here. Since you like the Kanebo one, that I do, I’m sure I’ll like the Fancl one that you do! :)

synical
March 15, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Hate the pink Biore one as it caused drying out and peeling.

Tried the Bobbi Brown one a while ago, but don’t remember if I would want to repurchase it.

MAC one is still okay.

Haven’t tried other drugstore products, not without sampling them beforehand.
synical recently blogged…Review: Fipper SlipperMy Profile

March 18, 2012 at 12:18 am

I’ve heard the MAC one is quite good but I haven’t tried it. The Biore one broke me out :(

Gin March 15, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Just wondering… How does this fare compare to Hada Labo cleansing oil?
I have not been using other brands cleansing oil other than hada Labo due to the high price XD
Is it really worth spending so much on a good cleansing oil?

March 18, 2012 at 12:23 am

Well the Hada Labo oil breaks me out so if asked to compare I’d say this ones better for me. It doesn’t feel as oily as Hada Labo. As for whether an expensive cleansing oil is better, I’d say it depends. I use inexpensive brands as well as pricier brands of cleansing oil and some work for me while others don’t. I think its more to do with how much you’d like to spend and how much you like the product. If the Hada Labo one works for you, there is probably no need to change ;)

makeup.addict March 15, 2012 at 6:32 pm

As I am a huge fan (and hoarder) of cleansing oils, I definitely want to give this a try. The way you describe it makes me want to run out and buy it now! :) I’ve tried a lot of cleansing oils and by far my faves have been the MAC’s Cleanse-Off Oil and Josie Maran’s Argan Cleansing Oil. Both have very liquidy & light oil textures and have a very slight but nice smelling fragrance. As I do use waterproof mascara and eyeliner every day, I do use a separate eye makeup remover (Lancome Bifacil FTW!) beforehand as I don’t really think cleansing oils remove my waterproof eye makeup well. On lazy/exhausted days, I just cleanse my face with a cleansing oil and then use the clarisonic before heading to bed, I will always wake up with raccoon eyes. Bugs the hell outta me when it happens.

March 18, 2012 at 12:26 am

Ahh if you like the lighter liquidy feel of oils you may not like this as much. I haven’t tried the MAC one though. I used to just use cleansing oils to remove eye makeup but these days I’m back to using a separate remover. I think it’s better overall :)

Leesa March 15, 2012 at 6:52 pm

i’m currently using dhc cleansing oil- my first and it’s really good at removing my bb cream and makeup… in the past, i was using bb cream and did not double cleanse- my skin broke out like there was no tomorrow… on another note, have u tried bioderma cleanser- i’ve heard that apparently all makeup artists have it part of their kit… do u think its cleaning power is as good as cleansing oils?

March 18, 2012 at 12:29 am

Ah DHC, another oil that breaks me out :P but I have to agree with you. If we wear makeup or even sunscreen daily, there is a need to use a cleansing oil or some sort of remover to ensure our skin is properly cleaned. As for Bioderma, I just picked up a bottle on my most recent trip to Hong Kong. Some readers have given some ideas on what they think about Bioderma here. Im still testing so I haven’t formed any thoughts yet. Once I do, I’ll share them in a review post :)

electronicfly
March 15, 2012 at 8:21 pm

When I saw the title of your post I actually sang it out ala The Sound of Music xD I still don’t like using cleansing oils though, it takes so much time to get off properly without using a foaming cleanser

March 18, 2012 at 12:31 am

Haha the power of suggestion! ;) a good cleansing oil will not need a foaming cleanser follow up, or even using the oils properly. It should emulsify totally although I will agree it takes more time than a wipe off makes remover :)

LSY March 15, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I am also using the same thing and I pair it with the foaming cleanser too. I like them both, the foaming cleanser gives it a squeaky clean feel but can be a tad bit drying, so I don’t use it in the morning.

March 18, 2012 at 12:33 am

Oh someone who’s actually using the same one I’m using! :D I don’t like the Clay Wash very much as I find it much too drying for my skin. It does leave the skin feeling absolutely clean though, doesn’t it? ;)

Jyoan March 15, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I love Cleansing Oils too! I always have back up cleansing oil because I can’t help but buy them when I see a good deal. =P

Cleansing oil is recommended by my beautician!

March 18, 2012 at 12:34 am

I have a whole shelf of cleansing oils from different brands. I can’t stick to one for very long. Way too fickle lol!