Tip: Apply Skincare On Damp Skin For Better Absorption

in Discussions,Skincare,Tips

damp skin Tip: Apply Skincare On Damp Skin For Better Absorption

I picked up this tip quite by chance and I’m sure everyone already knows about it but I’m going to repeat it anyway icon smile Tip: Apply Skincare On Damp Skin For Better Absorption

Did you know or realise that applying your skincare on damp skin increases their absorption into your skin? I thought about this one day when I was applying my body oils. You are always advised to apply body lotions and oils on damp skin so it is always recommended that you do so right after showering when your skin has still got a thin layer of water on it.

So, I thought if this was the case for your body, what about your face? I personally haven’t come across many people that suggest this same tip for the face. So I gave it a go and am very happy with the result! I hope you’ll be too, if you try it icon smile Tip: Apply Skincare On Damp Skin For Better Absorption

The concept is quite simple. If you imagine your skin as a sponge, it is easier to grasp the concept.

A dry sponge does not absorb much liquid. Its surprising, but its true. Try it and see if you don’t believe me icon smile Tip: Apply Skincare On Damp Skin For Better Absorption However, a damp (not wet) sponge will absorb and retain liquids better. So applying this concept to your skin, dry skin will absorb skincare, but it takes longer while damp skin will absorb much more quickly. If you use face oils or heavier creams, you will notice the benefit more obviously.

Damp skin however does not mean wet. So, its not like you splash water on your face, and while sopping wet, slap on skincare. Damp skin would mean skin that is still moist but not fully dry.

If you’re anything like me, this is almost impossible for me to achieve because I do not keep my skincare in the bathroom. After washing my face, I usually pat dry with a towel, then head to my dresser to apply my skincare. So how do I achieve this damp skin effect?

damp skin2 Tip: Apply Skincare On Damp Skin For Better Absorption

With face mists! icon biggrin Tip: Apply Skincare On Damp Skin For Better Absorption I used to use thermal water mists but these days, I use the Melvita Floral Water because it smells better icon smile Tip: Apply Skincare On Damp Skin For Better Absorption I just spritz the fine mist over my skin, pat it lightly and then apply my serums and face creams. When I use a face oil, my skin seems to soak it up like a sponge! No oily feel, and my skin feels lovely and moist thereafter. Its also quicker so there’s time saved right there icon smile Tip: Apply Skincare On Damp Skin For Better Absorption

When I use a lotion (toner) I use it over the face mist too. I keep the whole toning and misting concept separate because to me they perform different functions. I do find that lotions (moisturising toners not clarifying ones) absorb more quickly and I personally believe the products work better this way too and deliver better benefits to my skin.

I’d love to know if you are also practising apply skincare on damp skin? If you haven’t tried this, would you? Do report back if you do try it – would love to know if it works as well for you icon smile Tip: Apply Skincare On Damp Skin For Better Absorption

LeGeeque February 28, 2012 at 8:37 am

That’s sheer genius. I can’t seem to achieve damp skin either. The moment I step out of the shower and towel dry my hair, my body’s almost dry and my face’s definitely dry. I guess I can apply skincare the moment I step out of the shower but I don’t fancy dripping water all over my bathroom! Will give the face mist a go. I love the idea of face mists. So decadent! :D

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm

They are! And they work a treat plus is relaxing if you use a lavender one at the end of a long day. This is the only reason I’m actually using face mists these days. I never used to bother :P

Bee Romperz Laila February 28, 2012 at 8:38 am

some creams really absorb better when its apply damn…for example some of my face creams is so sticky so I just damp up my face just to ensure that everything goes smoothly….

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Nice that you noticed it too Laila! :D

Priscilla February 28, 2012 at 8:44 am

I totally agree with you~~~!!! I have very dry skin and when I apply cream when its damp, both face n body, I wont have the itching feeling thats trigger by dry skin.
It also “heals” my dry, peeling skin because I normally wake up to peeling skin in the morning.

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:35 pm

You could be right about the healing bit Priscilla :) I think the water helps the creams work more effectively so our skin is better protected – glad this works for you too!

beetrice February 28, 2012 at 11:44 am

*smacks head* now why didn’t I think of that? wonder if I can use the mist for applying body lotions too since I don’t always manage to use them straight out of the shower…hmm…

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Erm you could try misting your body too :) But when I apply body lotions or oils I don’t usually bother because mine absorb very quickly without feeling sticky and I apply before bed so its all good for me :)

Alene February 28, 2012 at 11:45 am

great idea! i must try it after i buy the rosewater mist! cant do the lavender cos it has alcohol. oh and boo. im on roaccutane now actually. suffered a terrible hormonal imbalance after i stopped the birth control. but u never know, after this course my skin might be able to take alcohol!

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm

You could just try it with any water you know, not just rose water ;) Your experience with birth control is really scary – I seem to recall its been a while and the problem hasn’t righted itself? :( I hope it gets better soon!

Shirley February 28, 2012 at 11:48 am

such a lovely post,.I will love to follow it. Really…..U r a source of awesome tips.

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm

aww *blush* Thank you Shirley :) I hope if you do try it, that it works well for you too! :)

plue February 28, 2012 at 12:37 pm

i notice that if i apply my skincare first (whilst face is damp) by the time i am done, my body is dry, and lotions are more difficult to absorb. so should we also spray mist/ use toner for the body to apply lotion for the effect to take place? or should we just do our body first, then last spray facial mist/ toner to prep em for skincare? it has been puzzling me for ages! and not to mention, when we wash our hair also >.< 3 things to do almost at 1 go!

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Well I’m only really concerned about my facial skincare absorbing properly and well hence I do the mist thing for my face. I don’t quite care about my body (which explains the dry skin on arms and legs oops!) but for the arms, I do apply body oils before I go to bed, partly for the aromatherapy benefits and partly to protect my skin. So, I don’t apply them out of the shower as my oils absorbs very quickly without a sticky or oily feel. I don’t like applying things on my skin after a shower anyway because I like the nice clean feel :D

kay February 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm

What i do for my face and body is to apply body lotion/oil after drying off w a towel in the bathroom. By the time I finish wearing clothes my face has dried up, so I wet my face w toner/face mist, and continue putting my essence and cream.

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Sounds like a good routine Kay, thanks for sharing :D

Juan February 28, 2012 at 1:48 pm

wait, you’re using lotus oil? does it help combat breakouts?

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Yes I am (occasionally) and I don’t know if it helps :P I’m only using it because I’m curious :P

Applegal February 28, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Hmmm! Okay I’m going to try this tonight!

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Do let me know how it works for you! :D

Jenn February 28, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Thats what i do! :) I lightly mist my face with a thermal spray (Avene) then proceed to apply other stuff. Notice that the usually sticky stuff like the Hada Labo Lotion gets less tacky this way too! :)

You got me reaaaaaaaally interested in the Melvita Rose Water you know!! Too bad penang dun have! T_T

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm

High 5 Jenn! :D You can always check out Melvita when you are next in KL – they have a boutique in 1U ;)

Lily February 28, 2012 at 2:48 pm

My skincare is in my bathroom, so I do apply my skincare when my face is damp. Never occured to me that it absorbs better though. Hah! Food for thought… been doing something right without knowing. :-D

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Haha good on ya! :D I don’t keep my stuff in the bathroom because mine’s too hot and damp in there. Maybe some day if I had a nice big airy bathroom I might ;)

aiyu February 28, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Hmm..I agree with you to apply skincare onto damp skin.
But I don’t know if a facial mist is necessary, I think slapping on some toner would work as well. Don’t you think?

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I use my mist even before toner but it will depend on the toner you are using. As Jenn has pointed out, even when using something like the Hada Labo lotion, it actually absorbs much more quickly and becomes less tacky when used on damp skin ;)

Issa February 28, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I haven’t thought of that! This is a great tip! I don’t have my skincare inside the bathroom too so I don’t know how to achieve that damp skin. Gotta try this tip! :)

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm

You could just use a regular face mist or to test out, just fill a spritzer bottle with plain water and spritz it on the skin ;) If you like it, then invest in a floral water perhaps? ;)

babysaffron February 28, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Very nice tip… facial mist then toner…right? Not too damp if ever? thanks…

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Nope! You’d be surprised as how quickly it dries up if your mist is a fine mist ;)

babysaffron March 1, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Ok…. Can i just used Evian? Or tea tree water from Lush? Its hard to find facial mist here…

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Yep! And sort of face mist will do cos the idea is just to dampen your skin. A floral water is nice but not necessary. You could even just fill some water in a spray bottle ;)

babysaffron March 1, 2012 at 4:05 pm

So excited…. Will try it tonight. Let you know tomorrow…
Thanks again….

Marina(Makeup4all) February 28, 2012 at 5:11 pm

That ‘lovely mist’ photo just killed me, hahaha, such a cute yellow smile.

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm

teehee its so cute right?!

Jyoan February 28, 2012 at 8:40 pm

ooo! I totally have to back this up!

I have been using this method since forever, because I was introduced to skincare by my facialist, and she put me on a routine of toner, spritzing Swiss water, then applying a mild Vitamin C cream.

The Swiss water really did help my cream to go on and take effect!

Which is why I always love to use toner, as it helps me face to be moist before everything else.

Basically, water is known as the universal solvent, and water molecules can automatically enter each cell through water channels in all cells. So any cream molecules that is dissolved in water or stick to water, will be dragged into the cell in an automated process, thereby helping chemical absorption.

In contrast, there is no specific fat channels for oils to automatically go into the cell. But through massaging, rubbing, patting, oils do go in because the cell membrane is made of fats anyway… …

And there are no specific channels for every protein too. So those funny growth protein or what added in your cream/serums are too big to enter. (there are however, specific channels for very very very important proteins or other vitamin molecules etc.)

These factors make water arguably the most efficient method of transport for any remedy administered through the skin.

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the scientific part of things Jyoan! :D Evidently my science isn’t all that strong to dissect this ;) But its great to go know that your facialist recommended this so this is probably a hidden gem of a beauty tip!

Shleesy February 29, 2012 at 8:25 am

Thanks for sharing (“,). I try this method right after I read your blog – spray of thermal spa water before applying L’occitane almond oil. The absorption is better than just the oil alone. And does it means I don’t have to wait for my toner to dry before I apply serum, and then wait for the serum to dry before I apply moisturizer?

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Glad you tried it and it worked well for you Shleesy :) I don’t bother to wait for my serums and creams to dry between layering because I believe it all works together somehow :)

razfira February 29, 2012 at 9:09 am

i read it yesterday and iive try it this morning and i think i can feel the difference!thank u!

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Yay! Thanks for sharing your feedback Razfira!

Stephanie/Yukaeshi February 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I picked this tip up from my beautician/aesthetician cousin and have been using it ever since I started using skincare :D

After cleansing I spray Cellnique Soothing & Hydrating Toner onto my hands and apply it to my face, which makes my face damp. I find that application of subsequent products, be it serum, oils, moisturiser, sunscreen or what-not is much easier too compared to when the skin is dry and skin is much more “boing boing” and well moisturised.

As for body, I find that applying lotions/body oils after a shower = easier application and less greasiness later than applying after a while.

Paris B March 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Its good to know that this is condoned by beauticians :D Thanks for sharing your experience and tips too

Firn March 1, 2012 at 9:26 pm

My dermatologist recommended putting on skincare right after I bathe. I find that doing this while my bathroom’s all steamed up a muggy, all the rich creams tend to apply better (like Laneige’s Sleeping Pack). Plus I find that my foundation and sunscreen blend and sink in much better and after I step out of the bathroom they just set and don’t budge from most of my face even without powder. I wear a mask on my face at work so any transfer would be noticeable! I can’t abide the caked on foundation look…

Stephanie March 12, 2012 at 7:16 am

I find that you also use less of the product you put on after spritzing, so it lasts longer, so you’re actually saving money as well. Excellent tip.