Your Say: Do you use hand creams? Do you have a favourite?

in Discussions

handcream Your Say: Do you use hand creams? Do you have a favourite?

I am AWFUL at using hand creams. Seriously. Just. Awful!

I apply body lotion or body oils at night, and when I’m done, I run the lotion or oil between my fingers and think to myself that its enough. During the day, despite sitting in an air-conditioned office all day, I don’t apply creams. You can just imagine how dry my hands can look!

Do you use hand creams then?

I’ve started painting my nails again after a very long hiatus and in the process, have taken a look good look at my hands… and not liking what I’m seeing! So very opportunely, I received a boatload of hand creams as gifts recently which should take care of that problem.

Other than our neck, the other part of the body that shows our age more than our faces (and which tend to be more neglected than most) is our hands. I’ve often seen ladies with unlined faces but wrinkly hands and really, I don’t want to be that lady! So its time to devise some form of routine so I maintain my hand’s youthfulness icon biggrin Your Say: Do you use hand creams? Do you have a favourite?

In the process of course, you could expect a couple of reviews to come up on hand creams in the near future icon smile Your Say: Do you use hand creams? Do you have a favourite?

Your Say: Do you use hand creams? Do you have a favourite?

LeGeeque January 3, 2012 at 8:35 am

I LOVE my handcreams. I have a tube almost everywhere! Bag, work, car, bedroom (side table & dresser), lounge area, bathroom. It’s the one thing I’m pedantic about. I think it stems from my love for nail polishes how removing can dry my cuticles. My favourite? Hands down the Soap and Glory one pictured above. I adore it and go through it like it’s the end of the world. Next favourite would be Crabtree and Evelyn but I hate the packaging because you need a key to roll it up and squeeze every last drop out. Yay for Soap and Glory!

January 4, 2012 at 9:57 am

Now that I’m painting my nails, I can attest to how drying it is on the hands so I’m starting to be a little bit more religious with hand cream use :) I like the C&E ones too – they saved my hands once but I have to agree with you about the packaging. When will they learn to put it in plastic tubes? At least that won’t break :P

Sheila
January 3, 2012 at 8:37 am

I use hand creams religiously. I need the soft, smooth feeling on my hands otherwise it’s just too dry and rough. I think it’s also bc I like to wash my hands a million times a day, plus the cold and dry weather in Canada. I have 3 different hand creams that I rotate around – Crabtree & Evelyn (slowly becoming useless on me… my hands are too dry!), Glysomed (I think it’s a Canadian brand) and L’Occitane, which is my fave.
Sheila recently blogged…Quick Skincare Reviews: Erno Laszlo LASZLO BLUE Firmarine Night Gel, Night Cream, SPF30 (day cream) & Lift SerumMy Profile

January 4, 2012 at 9:59 am

Oh yes! Washing hands can dry out the skin a lot and so does the cold. Here where its warm, I don’t feel it so much but I do sit in an air-conditioned office most of the day so that can be very drying too! I see so many raves for Crabtree and L’Occitane!

Tracy@Beauty Reflections January 3, 2012 at 8:39 am

I have hand cream in my purse, by my chair where I work, by my be and by the kitchen sink! Living in Canada is super hard on your skin, especially hands. I really like Cake Beauty Milk Made Hand Cream-got it because or Larie@EyeHearIt and LOVE it. Smells soooo good.

January 4, 2012 at 9:59 am

Haha needless to say, you are a hand cream user, Tracy! :D

ksuan87 January 3, 2012 at 9:01 am

I’m bad at using it in a warm climate, but when I was in Europe, I was religious. Am getting back into it though :)

My current favourite is Jergens Naturals’ Ultra Hydrating Intensive Hand Cream. Smells fresh and fruity, like Pink Lady apples, and my hands love it.

My little sister is a firm believer in Soap and Glory’s Hand Food, though. She loves how it smells, but I find it a little too marshmallow-candy for my taste :)
ksuan87 recently blogged…Review: Organic Young (Oy!) Cover and Clear – Spot itMy Profile

January 4, 2012 at 10:00 am

I do find Hand Food a little sweet so I keep it by my bedside and apply it before bed so I don’t have to keep smelling it :D I think I prefer unscented or just very lightly scented creams.

xin
January 3, 2012 at 9:07 am

I generally like C&E handcreams, except for that La Source flavor, its my fear factor!
I have a tube in almost every bag, but my resolutions for 2012 would be applying foot cream :( My feet are really dry, and toe nails are week

January 4, 2012 at 10:02 am

haha I usually only use the Gardener’s one because that one has the lightest scent! :P You’re right about the feet. I sorely neglect mine too!

dom
January 4, 2012 at 10:42 am

my feet are really dry too. if you have any reviews on what we can do for dry feet, i’ll be the first to seek your advice!
dom recently blogged…Review: Benefit They’re Real! MascaraMy Profile

trah January 3, 2012 at 9:10 am

I do use hand creams, usually apply it when I’m in the car stuck in the traffic jam in the morning. Instant good smell on the car too :p

My fave is L’occitane Rose hand cream, it makes me feel like I’m in a rose garden whenever I put it on. It has be become a stress reliever in a way for me now (sometimes I just open the cap and takes a whiff for this purpose. I’m not an addict, I swear).

I’ve read that taking supplements for nails, hair and skin is a better way to keep them healthy in the long run, especially if you’re not the type to use the creams diligently.

January 4, 2012 at 10:03 am

Wow that L’Occitane cream sounds amazing :D There are lots of supplements for anything but I am sometimes a little wary of ingesting things – would rather just take a one supplement for general health because I think if you’re generally healthy then everything will work :D

January 3, 2012 at 9:15 am

I haven’t tried loads, but the one I love and always repurchase is L’occitane Shea butter hand cream. Even though it’s rich, it absorbs quickly without the great feeling on my hands. I keep it in my office and apply it whenever my hands feel dry. Air conditioning sucks out all the juice you hv in your body. Lol!!
Lily recently blogged…Rosy Glow Cheeks with Dior Spring 2012 Petal 001My Profile

January 4, 2012 at 10:04 am

Ok loads of raves for this one :D I tried this one a long time ago I think but I also think I considered it too oily. That said, I’m terribly sensitive to the icky feel of creams on my skin :) Yes, air conditioning is a terrible thing for the skin… but we can’t live without it! ;)

January 3, 2012 at 9:16 am

** greasy feeling. Why did it come out “great”?

Juan
January 3, 2012 at 9:38 am

I love the Loccitane hand cream in rose. the smell’s great and doesn’t leave that sticky greasy film the way most hand creams do. still, with the amount of housework I do at home espcially in the kitchen, I don’t think I’ve been diligent enough with this habit. last year’s hand cream I got still hardly used let alone the abundant stock from this year’s loot ;)

January 4, 2012 at 10:06 am

Eh seriously, the L’Occitane one isn’t greasy? I remember it being so, which is why I avoided it. Now everyone is raving about it, I want to go check it out… not that I should because I don’t think I can finish up this year’s loot even by the end of the year :P

Priscilla January 3, 2012 at 9:51 am

Haha, I also lazy and awful at handcreams but forced to use due top eczema.
But I am using Cetaphil as I cant take the smell of handcreams on my hands…

January 4, 2012 at 10:06 am

Some scents can be too strong especially the florals, so I’m quite particular about scents in my hand creams too

Marina Khong
January 3, 2012 at 9:53 am

Anything from Crabtree & Evelyn are my favs! To me, scent is priority! Then it’s gotta have a non greasy feel (tend to apply them while driving, don’t like oily streeing wheel!) and its gotta safe for my baby too as I’ll be touching him alot! :)

January 4, 2012 at 10:07 am

I was a huge fan of Crabtree & Evelyn too! Used to have the huge tubes,and even the pump version, because I had terribly dry hands once and this cured it! :D

peach_ January 3, 2012 at 10:29 am

I’m terrible with hand creams, too! I really hate that greasy feel with some of them and the thought that it’s transferring onto everything I touch, especially handbags. I’ve found the one for truly healing your skin is good ol’ Yuskin A (Yu-Be) cream. It smells like mothballs in the jar, but it becomes scent-free and cured my dry heels and got rid of “chicken bumps” on my arms. It can be applied anywhere, even lips, and I love that it dries silky so if I apply it on my feet I don’t feel like I can’t step on anything!

Oh wait, we were talking about hand creams…I’m going to try and be more diligent, starting with the yummy one you gave me. :D
peach_ recently blogged…Hello, 2012My Profile

January 4, 2012 at 10:09 am

Yes! that greasy feel really kills me especially when I see my paw print everywhere I go eeks! :P The idea of a mothball smelling cream is just surreal Peach! But it sounds amazing :D Your hands look awesome so you must be doing something right!

Elaine March 24, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Dear Peach,

I am from Kuala lumpur Malaysia and I am looking for where to buy Yuskin A cream. would you be able to tell me where I can buy it here in Malaysia.

Thanks.

Swati
January 3, 2012 at 10:55 am

I never used to use specially formulated hand creams but make-do with the body lotions or face moisturizers and have found in the long run that face moisturizers might be good for the face but they definitely are great for my hands!!! but, sometimes, my hands do tend to get neglected and a moisture surge makes them look cute and beautiful :)
Swati recently blogged…Why do natural products break you out? {Skin Care}My Profile

January 4, 2012 at 10:09 am

That’s an interesting thought. I may have to dig out some heavier creams that don’t work for my face and use them on my hands ;)

Larie January 3, 2012 at 10:55 am

I only just started using hand creams frequently – my hands get really dry, especially in the winter, if I don’t. Based on another blogger’s recommendation, I started using the Cake Milk Made hand cream, and I really like it! It smells like raspberries :D
Larie recently blogged…The Moment of Truth: DecemberMy Profile

January 4, 2012 at 10:10 am

Wow Cake Milk Made – sounds delicious already! :D Winter must be killer on the skin. Ironically, when I was living in a country with winter, I didn’t take very good care of my skin then – amazing when I know now :P

Sherry January 3, 2012 at 10:59 am

I only use nutox so far

January 4, 2012 at 10:10 am

I didn’t know they made a hand cream :)

Sherry January 5, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Yeah I also don’t know but lucky got a sample to try only last few days though

Yumiko January 3, 2012 at 11:15 am

haha.. i am kind of lazy to use lotion and creams kind of girl, but i have those stuff with me. So far, my first hand and nail cream was gifted by my friend and i think the best of it is the smell~! It is the body shop’s japanese cherry blossom hand and nail cream… it really smells good that when i use it, friends around me would ask… ‘woahh smells good.. what did u use?’.. but the cons is that the smell wont stay longer than an hour.. i guess it did it’s job on moisturizing my skin *but better if i use it regularly!*

You nailed it Paris! i’m just 20 and my fingers have like… wrinkles?! lol.. those lines looks fugly.. =( i always feel embarrassed when showing my hand out especially in photo shooting.. i guess i just found my new year resolution… *wink*
Yumiko recently blogged….New Year 2012.My Profile

January 4, 2012 at 10:11 am

Time to start taking more care of your hands Yumiko :) Like lines on the face, it can look better with more care – I’m trying hard to take care of my hands too so we can both work on this together :D

Kahani January 3, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Lol you know I’m a hand cream fiend. Not by choice though. Just a day or two of neglect and my cuticles crack and bleed (I even once handed a namecard over to a CEO and it had a bloody smudge on it >_< ) While I love C&E's citron cream and hand food, the one I really find the absolute best is Marks & Spencer's Grapefruit cream. If I do a lot of cleaning / washing I find that it's the only one that keeps everything together and unbloody.

January 4, 2012 at 10:12 am

Yes you are my dear! I’ll take a look at M&S – I used to have some of their body stuff and it was surprisingly good – I mean you don’t think of going to M&S for things like this sometimes :)

lyn
January 3, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I’ve been neglecting my hands for a long time too and really need to take better care of them. My current fave is L’Occitane’s Verbena Handcream / Gel thing. It’s not greasy and doesn’t have a strong scent. Another two I like are C&E Pomegranate and Citrus handcreams.
lyn recently blogged…A Bright Beginning… Happy New Year 2012!My Profile

January 4, 2012 at 10:13 am

Another L’Occitane fan. Seriously, I have to take a look >.< But I do like C&E – thus far they make one of the best I’ve used.

Applegal January 3, 2012 at 1:47 pm

You just made me reach for the hand lotion I keep at my table! I hardly use hand creams unless my hands feel really dry from over washing. I don’t like the greasy feeling that comes with creams, I usually just use whatever body lotion (Rosken and Eucherin) I have on my hands.

January 4, 2012 at 10:15 am

I found that body lotions may work well for the body but are sometimes a little too light for the hands which is why hand creams do tend to be thicker. However body butters do work better because of the thicker, creamier texture :)

espenine January 3, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Hand creams are a must for me, not a choice. I live in a desert environment and when they get dry by the hard water, it is very prone to contact dermatitis and eczema which itches the hell out of me. However, when I return to tropical Singapore, my hands never get so dry. I can do without hand creams until night time.

January 4, 2012 at 10:16 am

Oh gosh – desert + winter must be a lethal combo for the skin! Do you have a favourite hand cream that you use in that sort of harsh weather?

espenine January 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm

For hard core desert + winter conditions, I use Physiogel lotion to treat my dry and eczema prone hands. Even though I enjoy Crabtree & Evelyn, Loccitane and HABA hand creams, they just don’t work hard enough in such a climate. So I keep these pretty looking hand creams for travel to Singapore.

January 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I’ve seen Physiogel in the local pharmacies but it looked so clinical and I didn’t think I’d need something that clinical :) I guess it would work better in a dry climate though. Glad it works for you to keep your hands soft in the desert! :D

gio January 3, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I use hand creams religiously. I have very dry hands and they get all cracked and red, especially in winter, if I don’t. I don’t really have a favourite hand cream though. I just use whatever lotion I have at hand.
gio recently blogged…Product Review: Layla Nail Polish in 112My Profile

January 4, 2012 at 10:16 am

Ouch! Reading all the comments about winter and how harsh it can be on the skin makes me sort of glad I don’t have that problem :)

LG January 3, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I was lazy before but ever since being in a hospital environment and having to wash hands many times during the day, I have been using handcreams religiously every night. I’m using neutrogena norwegian formula on hands and lips, it’s pretty good. our skin is the first barrier of defence against micro-organisms so good hand care is very important…

January 4, 2012 at 10:17 am

Thanks for the medical tip LG! :D Washing hands does really take its toll on the skin and I had a small tube of the Norwegian formula cream once but I didn’t like it :( I know its probably good though

beetrice
January 3, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I’m loving Crabtree & Evelyn’s Gardeners Hand Remedy (more potent than the typical Hand Therapy), Soap & Glory’s Hand Food…and the handcream from Bliss which contains grape and macadamia oil. Yay for yummy smelling hands! :D
beetrice recently blogged…Happy New Year, and I’m back! :D My Profile

January 4, 2012 at 10:18 am

The serum one right? That one makes the hands feel silky soft :)

Mandy January 3, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I keep a tube in my bag so I can apply it when I am bored on the bus or whenever I am free. I am able to use it quite often cos sun protection is my main aim (the hand cream has spf 15) as I want to get rid of the brown spots that I got from overexposure to the sun a few years ago when I was doing water sports competitively. I love using body oil on my hands at night.

January 4, 2012 at 10:20 am

That’s a good point Mandy – sun protection! Which cream are you presently using? I sometimes mix my body oil and cream for my hands at night and wake up with super soft hands :D

Saphy
January 3, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I use the one by Etude House, works fine :) but I’m bad at using it in M’sia haha ;_; takes too long to dry and stuff ;_;” Used it every day in China though :D !

January 4, 2012 at 10:21 am

I think I heard of some raves for the Etude House hand cream once – actually I think in our weather, if you aren’t in an air-conditioned environment all the time, hand creams are quite overlooked unless you wash your hands a lot of course ;)

Saphy
January 5, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Yup true :x Etude House hand creams are quite thick I think, not that sure but mine is quite :P