in Eyeshadow,FOTD,Makeup,Palettes,Product Reviews

I’m quite a fan of blue eyeshadow. But I will also be the first to agree that blue isn’t an easy colour to wear. If you’re not careful, it can look a bit dated, or too bright. But if the colour and tone suits you, it has a very fresh vibe, while being eye catching.

guerlain les aquas Drift away on a Sea of Blues with Guerlain Les Aquas Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette

When my eye fell on the Guerlain Les Aquas eyeshadow palette, my eyes lit up. Guerlain reformulated their eyeshadow palettes recently, and did away with the chocolate tray style palettes (see Perle d’Argents and Brun Mordore). The first change came with the Ecrin 6 colours Eyeshadow palettes. After that, Guerlain came up with the Ecrin 4 colours eyeshadow palette. I have one in Les Noirs that I should tell you about also. But today, its about Les Aquas, released with the Guerlain Spring 2012 collection.

Rejoice! Because this one is permanent! icon biggrin Drift away on a Sea of Blues with Guerlain Les Aquas Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette True to its name, it has 2 beautiful aqua toned colours that anchor the palette, a matte black and a shimmer silver for interest. And boy, is this one interesting! I would even say perfect for Summer!

Just swatching it blew me away. The quality is amazing but I expect nothing less from Guerlain. Their eyeshadow palettes have consistently been of impressive quality. More pigmented than Dior palettes and less shimmery. It is also quite rare to have a high end brand showcase such a bold eyeshadow palette – they usually stick to the safe neutrals.

guerlain les aquas4 Drift away on a Sea of Blues with Guerlain Les Aquas Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette

Guerlain Les Aquas L-R: Matte black, Shimmer Seafoam blue, Shimmer bold blue, Shimmer silver

Les Aquas is impressive. I swatched these with my fingers and 3 out of 4 colours swatched very smoothly on the first swipe. The matte black takes a bit of layering to get it to show up. However, if you use a brush, there is absolutely no issue. It applies very easily and this is true of all the 4 colours.

My eye was drawn immediately to that bright bold blue – it isn’t often you see such a bright colour in any brand. It is shimmery but not glittery and it shows up very nicely on the skin. The thing is, this is probably the one colour most people would be scared off by. They would swatch it, admire it, but never wear it. Pity, because its pretty!

guerlain les aquas2 Drift away on a Sea of Blues with Guerlain Les Aquas Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette

The palette comes in a gold metal compact that feels surprisingly light. A dual ended sponge tip applicator is included as well as a very large mirror in the cover. The compact is a bit of a fingerprint magnet, but very elegant and unobtrusive. It is just a simple gold case with the Guerlain name etched on the side – quiet understated elegance.

guerlain les aquas3 Drift away on a Sea of Blues with Guerlain Les Aquas Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette

I will tell you that Les Aquas is a fun palette and not quite for the faint hearted. Some of you may consider it too pricey to be treated as a fun palette and I will agree. But the texture in this one is sublime, the colour is true to pan and best of all, that beautiful bright blue remains a beautiful bright blue on my skin – quite a feat you know, most turn a little green thanks to my Oriental yellow tones icon smile Drift away on a Sea of Blues with Guerlain Les Aquas Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette

In a nutshell

A newly formulated 4 pan eyeshadow palette from Guerlain with an assortment of eyeshadow textures. The quality of the shadows are very good, with shimmer colours swatching strong and pigmented. With a brush, the matte colour too translates well on the skin and is a good foil for adding depth to the bright blues. However, I can see that many may opt to pass because they are afraid they can’t pull off these colours. A pity, because the texture, pigment and packaging is sublime.

Pros: Bright pigmented colours, The deep blue and seafoam aqua blue is true to pan, The packaging is sleek and minimalist and compact

Cons: Some may consider the colours too bright, Pricey

Guerlain falls under the category of luxury cosmetics and those never come with a small pricetag. However, I am also impressed by the quality of these eyeshadows as based on personal experience, few luxury brands will produce eyeshadows of this sort of colour and vibrancy. This is what makes Les Aquas special, and what makes it stand out in the sea of luxury brand shadows.

Here’s an example of how I’d wear this palette:-

guerlain les aquas5 Drift away on a Sea of Blues with Guerlain Les Aquas Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette

Seafoam blue all over the lid, deep royal blue near the lash line and to line the lower lash line, Silver to highlight and black to line. This is a very eye-catching look and perhaps, not one to wear to work unless you have a very relaxed dress code icon smile Drift away on a Sea of Blues with Guerlain Les Aquas Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette However, you may be able to pull off just using that royal blue on your lash line for a bit of colour.

And here’s how it looks overall icon biggrin Drift away on a Sea of Blues with Guerlain Les Aquas Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette

fotd g Drift away on a Sea of Blues with Guerlain Les Aquas Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette

Featuring also: Guerlain Blush G Serie Noir on cheeks, A-England Tristam polish on nails

Are you bold enough to pull off a palette like the Les Aquas eyeshadow palette? Or do you prefer just sticking to something safer? Its not quite as bold once you apply it and blend it out on the skin – all comes down to technique and I think I’ve sort of gotten the knack of pulling off bright colours daily. Yes even to work. Well, sometimes icon smile Drift away on a Sea of Blues with Guerlain Les Aquas Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette

Guerlain Les Aquas Eyeshadow Palette Price: RM190 Availability: Guerlain counters Limited Edition: No

Tracy January 19, 2012 at 8:43 am

I saw this today and totally agree with you!! It’s stunning! I’m hoping this shows up at my drugstore so I can get it with redemption points! You look lovely in it!!

Paris B January 19, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Thank you Tacy and you can get Guerlain in your drugstore! *faints* I was hoping my debate vouchers would get here in time for me to splurge on the Guerlain collection but it was not to be. That said, I wasn’t too keen on the lipsticks and glosses because they were a bit too pink. Quite happy now LOL

Hanny Daforcena January 19, 2012 at 8:53 am

So, so pretty indeed!!i like blues, and I convince meself that I can pull them off because I am not that fair, so the clolors won’t look so stark on me, heh heh heh.

Paris B January 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I think blues are very fresh but it depends on the type of blue used and as with all makeup, the tone on the skin. Tanned skin does look very pretty with teal :D

Juan January 19, 2012 at 9:32 am

U look so much younger and cheekier with that cny haircut. And your pose kinda show it ;)

Sandra January 19, 2012 at 10:13 am

I agree. & I can feel the positive vibes! :D

Paris B January 19, 2012 at 3:25 pm

*sends positive vibes* :D Thanks Sandra!

Paris B January 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Haha thanks Juan :D

Applegal January 19, 2012 at 9:45 am

VERY NICE! I thought the colours looked a bit scary in the pan, but I love how you pulled it off!

Paris B January 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

In pan, it is very strong indeed but on skin its surprisingly nice. There is a pink palette available too but that one I found a wee bit scary although I could see it being a pretty blush palette :P

mrsdjones January 19, 2012 at 9:46 am

I love your new hair! And as usual, pretty eye makeup! ;)

Paris B January 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Thank you Mrsdjones! :D

sharon January 19, 2012 at 10:11 am

very pretty indeed! and with a huge price tag nonetheless ;) i should be glad i cant afford these luxury items or i would go broke at double quick time lol. the colours look good on you and i think if u do an outer v with the bold bold and it your bottom lash line with it, it would be great for a night/more corporate look :) i love blue eyeshadows too maybe cos i am not that fair or have too much yellow under tones ;)

Paris B January 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Yep luxury goods – very hard to get past that pricetag :) I have found a similar palette with a smaller price tag though, so I hope to feature it some time soon :) Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried using that bold royal blue as a primary colour and its very pretty too!

Lily January 19, 2012 at 10:12 am

You rock this blue! And with the new haircut, you look totally modern and hip. I love this =)

Paris B January 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thanks Lily :)

Cas January 19, 2012 at 10:20 am

It IS a gorgeous palette but I dont think I’ll be able to pull it off. But its a great look for you, no doubt about that.

Paris B January 19, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Its a very bold palette and quite surprising coming from Guerlain. Usually high end brands play with very safe colours. The other palette that has 4 pink shades is even more bold but I could never pull off that one :P

peach_ January 19, 2012 at 10:40 am

You look so pretty! I love that you do subtle, wearable looks. I saw this the other day and it is so gorgeous (as are other Couleurs), but I decided I’m only getting Guerlain when I travel or can get it from elsewhere. This palette is 8,085 yen in Japan, which I converted to be 328RM there. It actually sounds “reasonable” in yen relative to other cosmetics here and without knowing outside prices LOL, but so overpriced compared to other countries!

Paris B January 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Thank you Peach :D I sometimes wear these to work so I have to create something a wee bit more subtle – I don’t know how to do very dramatic looks either :D The prices in Japan are so scary, I don’t know how you guys can afford anything there, seriously! Its no wonder I hardly bought anything in Japan when I was there LOL! But I had a great time and I want to go back!

Renee | Beauty Fool January 19, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Aww Paris you look adorable! It really suits you well!

You know, a lot of people say that blue eyeshadow should go back to the 80s where they belong, but I quite like blue! It looks especially nice against brown eyes :D

x Renee

Paris B January 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Thank you Renee :D I agree with you that there is a time for blue eyeshadow. So long as we don’t plaster it on with a trowel from lashline to eyebrow, I think blue shadow is lovely! :D

gio January 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm

What a gorgeous palette! I didn’t expect the colors to be so bright and pigmented. They look very pretty on you too.

Paris B January 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Thank you Gio. I think the bright colours in this palette is right up your alley! :D I was surprised too when the colour came out as pigmented as it did.

Jamilla January 19, 2012 at 6:17 pm

This looks great on you – but too cool for me. Lovely look!

Paris B January 20, 2012 at 9:26 am

Thank you Jamilla – gotta admit I pull off cool tones better but I can imagine this will look a bit off on warmer skintones :D

lavender January 19, 2012 at 9:28 pm

This is a beautiful palette. i love blue too. I must say that u look better in blue than brown.

Paris B January 20, 2012 at 9:27 am

Thank you Lavender – isn’t blue shadow so fun? :D

LeGeeque January 20, 2012 at 8:25 am

This is so perfect for summer. Swoons. Love it. I’ve been very uninspired and unadventurous with my eye colour lately and this has just sparked my interest in them all over again. Should this be part of the parcel to be delivered to Melbourne, I wonder :)

Paris B January 20, 2012 at 9:27 am

This one will definitely bring the colour back into your life! :D

Jyoan January 20, 2012 at 10:43 am

I really like the colour payoff! Looks wonderful on your eyes!

Paris B January 20, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Thank you Jyoan :D Its a lovely palette!

Sam January 21, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Ooh pretty! I would definitely try this, I love bright eyeshadow!

Paris B January 27, 2012 at 9:47 am

This one’s very pretty and I hope you like it if you get it :)