Goodbye Vichy Malaysia – It was lovely getting to know you

in Cheap and Good?,Cleanser,Moisturiser,Musings,Serum,Skincare,Toner/Lotion

vichy

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there’s no two ways about it. I’ve heard the rumours going around that Vichy Laboratoires is pulling out of Malaysia and so I sent out my feelers to get the official word.

And its true.

Vichy Laboratoires is in fact pulling out and will be gone from Malaysia by March 2012. Waahhhh! :( I’ve found some gems from the brand that I will miss very much. There is stock clearing going on at the Vichy counters, I’ve heard, where they have Buy 1 Free 1 on products and the like. I checked out one counter but it was basically wiped out so if you can get your hands on anything, here are a few things I like.

Vichy Eau Thermale Facial Mists (review and an older review)

vichy eau thermale pop art cans

I have a few cans lying around and I carry the small cans when I travel to freshen up. I know there are other brands around so perhaps I’ll finally give Avene a go 😛

Vichy Normaderm Deep Cleansing Gel (Review)

vichy normaderm purifying cleansing gel

This is a bathroom staple and I want to stock up on as many tubes as I can get my hands on! Problem is… every counter seems to have run out. Guess everyone had the same idea I did 😛 I think this an awesome awesome face cleanser and I will miss it dreadfully.

Vichy Normaderm for busting breakouts (review)

bust the breakouts

I only managed to discover this excellent combination for busting breakouts… only to find I will no longer have access to 3 out of 5 items. Disappointed? You can say that again! :(

Vichy Aqualia Thermal Serum (Review)

vichy aqualia thermal serum

Another product I discovered recently that works well for me. The Aqualia Thermal serum is for hydration and works to boost the efficacy of moisturizer. It works a treat and is a good alternative to the Estee Lauder Hydrationist serum. Now that its going away, I guess I’ll have to go back to Hydrationist 😛

There are a few other products I’ve come across – Normaderm Total Pore Resurfacing Essence and Purete Foaming Cleanser come to mind. I also used to be a big fan of the Vichy UV Activ sunscreen but they reformulated it and only carried the tinted version. A friend bought the tinted version and it didn’t suit them so they gave it to me and I use it on days when I just want a light tint of colour on my skin in place of foundation. It still does a pretty good job.

These are the few products I use regularly from Vichy which I will miss from the brand. The official word is that Vichy is a brand sold primarily in pharmacies and dermatology clinics through advice from pharmacists and dermatologists. The dermatology market in Malaysia is still relatively underdeveloped and so the brand has not been able to fulfil its true objective. I personally thought it carried good products for the price even if there was a perception that it was pricey. Nothing very good comes cheap.

Perhaps when the local market matures, we’ll see Vichy return :) Until then, its Au Revoir! It’s been lovely getting to know you.

Is there anything you will miss from Vichy? Have you tried any of their products while they were around? I suppose if it stays on in Singapore, I could always still get my fix there 😛

The official word is that Vichy will be fully withdrawn from Malaysia by 31 March 2012

Sheila
December 19, 2011 at 4:03 pm

omg that sucks =( I really like some Vichy stuff too and I can’t imagine if they decided to pull out of Canada. Let me know if you ever need help with a CP in case you can’t get your hands on it, I’d be happy to help =)
Sheila recently blogged…Another FOTD with Dior Misty Mauve… this one more subtle and suitable for daytimeMy Profile

December 19, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Yes when I got the confirmation I was absolutely gobsmacked. Most times, we get the official “Oh no, its just temporary” story but this time its real 😛 Thanks for the offer Sheila – very sweet of you! I do think its still available in Singapore so I can get my stock from there in the mean time – its really only the cleanser that I’m keyed up about 😛

natalie c December 19, 2011 at 4:04 pm

BB cream and their whitening essence! the only BB cream that looks natural on my skin. as for the whitening essence, it works wonder on my yellowish dull skin in brighten it up! i’ve stock up tubes of ’em. guess i’ll have to get in online in the future. hmmm

December 19, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Yep! We’ll have to find some alternative methods of getting our Vichy fix! 😀 Singapore should still have them.

violet December 19, 2011 at 4:26 pm

No wonder they are doing the clearance sale. I managed to get my facial mist BOFO promotion at Guardian IPC last week, just a day before my trip to China.
It’s winter season over there and their facial mist is truly my skin saviour. My friend also using mine and I think it’s finishing up already.
Better check out again and hopefully able to restock them.
Just about loving their product and it’s a shame they will no longer in Malaysia.

December 19, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Ah lucky you! I went to a store and saw empty shelves 😛 I haven’t been round to check other stores though so good luck! 😀

JackieA December 19, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Aiyaaa! No wonder la…..I was in KLCC yesterday and popped by to restock my cleanser and toner. The SA said, sold out and I thought “Eh, thats strange…..oh well!!” and now this just makes sense as to why they were sold out. Just when I found a cleanser that rocked my socks….Thanks for sharing PB. Merry Christmas!

December 19, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Merry Christmas JackieA! And yes, its such a bummer just when you think you find something good, you have to start all over again 😛

trah December 19, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I’ve never tried this brand before though. I know you’ve given Vichy good reviews but I’m always distracted in Japanese skin care products whenever I walked into the pharmacy and bought them instead.

It’s a pity that they’re removing the brand from our shore as I can see that they have loyal users here, but I didn’t see the ‘buy 1 free 1′ promotion at pharmacies in town last weekend! Shall try to look for it in Megamall after work instead.

December 19, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Got to agree that the Japanese skincare does look much more interesting eh? :) I was liking the recent Vichy stuff because they were just starting to go silicone and paraben free and then boom! they disappear. I guess our market just isn’t mature enough for a cosmeceutical brand – the common lament I got was how pricey it was for a pharmacy brand. Ah well, maybe it’ll come back :)

Jess December 19, 2011 at 4:55 pm

OMG, i think my gf going to cry. she only use vichy and nothing else. Sigh wonder why good brand like this want to pull out

December 19, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Oops then she’d better stock up! Lack of public awareness and expectations I guess. It is a good brand, but people aren’t willing to pay for good stuff and the market here just isn’t ready I guess, for a dermatological brand.

Hasegawa Ayane December 19, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Oh no! I really wished they didn’t :( I loved their NormaDerm ProMat Matte Effect Hydrating Care product :(

December 19, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Time to stock up… if you can find it still 😛

evie December 19, 2011 at 7:32 pm

omg i sure hope they will stay in my shore!!. though i only tried one of their product i hate to see any brands pulling out of the country

December 19, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Yup I don’t like to see brands leave to so here’s hoping they’ll return :)

Lingzy December 19, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I really <3 the cleanser! It reduces the redness around my nose and cheek area!
Ohh no!!! :'(

December 19, 2011 at 8:28 pm

The cleanser is awesome stuff right? I’m still trying to track down an additional bottle at least :p

stephy December 19, 2011 at 8:05 pm

why are they pulling out? political issues?

December 19, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Hmm no known political issues I know of. What I was informed is what I’ve shared, which is that our Malaysian market isn’t matured enough for the brand philosophy, which is that of a pharmacist/dermatologist assisted brand. Malaysians aren’t big on these things apparently.

lavender December 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Oh dear. No wonder they have the sale recently. I manage to grab the cleansing milk at Caring at Bangsar Village. I have tried their Moisturiser before. It was good for oily skin. sad..sad..
lavender recently blogged…Nail Art: Lav 022 & 023 Christmas Nail Art – Blue GlitterMy Profile

December 19, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Yep I thought their products good for what they are ie relatively affordable, effective products. Hopefully they return in time.

Junni December 19, 2011 at 9:13 pm

OH NO! Normaderm is my must have. :( Thanks for sharing Paris I must run to Pharm tomorrow..

December 19, 2011 at 10:20 pm

You know, I should have tried to stock up first before making the announcement 😉 hope you manage to stock up!

Coraline December 19, 2011 at 9:45 pm

omg that’s so sad…but i wish i were there in Malaysia when they started the sale. Their green acne range and the thermal mineral water spray look so tempting to me that I really want to put my hands on them…someday
goodbye Vichy Malaysia :(

December 19, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Not sure where you are but Vichy is sold in many places so you can still try it :)

pinkcloud December 19, 2011 at 9:59 pm

owh! so disappointing and frustrating too! recently fall in love with the whitening serum and now I will losing my love very soon =(((

December 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Sucks when this happens right? :( oh well back to the drawing board 😛

Jan S December 19, 2011 at 11:13 pm

that’s sad when brands pull out. I was very sad when Px left Asia :( well, at least Singapore isn’t too far away for a stock-up trip :)

December 20, 2011 at 10:35 am

I think Prescriptives shut down everywhere, although they may be making a comeback overseas. Maybe we’ll see it come back here too. I was quite upset previously when YSL left too

WQ December 20, 2011 at 9:48 am

:( their normaderm range is absolutely fantastic for my acne outbreaks :( i love their body wash as well!

December 20, 2011 at 10:39 am

I haven’t tried their body wash… and now probably never will sigh…

Jamilla December 20, 2011 at 9:49 am

That’s AWFUL! Do you get La Roche-Posay in Malaysia? That’s my other lifesaver!

December 20, 2011 at 10:40 am

Nope! I have been badgering them as to when it’ll come in and was told it was soon but after this, I seriously doubt it because La Roche Posay and Vichy have a similar sort of philosophy :( That said, who knows. Maybe they’ll try with LRP instead 😛

LeGeeque December 20, 2011 at 10:36 am

Don’t you just hate it when you chance upon something that forms part of your HG and it gets yanked? HATE IT. Don’t they realise it’s more than just a product? Sometimes, it’s an emotional bond as well! (drama queen act over)

December 20, 2011 at 10:46 am

Yeah, unfortunately, bottom line would be sales and if no one else feels that bond as we do, out it goes! I think the local market hasn’t grasped the notion that effectiveness must come with a slightly higher price tag, even at the pharmacy. Not everything in a pharmacy is “cheap”

Jo December 20, 2011 at 11:24 am

OH NOOOOOO!!! Just when I finally FINALLY settled on a skin product that my face is not adverse to!!! I’m so upset!!! :( I knew the buy 1 free 1 offer must be too good to be true!!! SOBBBB!!!

December 20, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Pity :( Time to stock up then until they run out!

electronicfly
December 20, 2011 at 11:45 am

Nooooooo! I have been slowly stocking on Vicky stuff to try (not properly used a lot of items yet, since I want to finish up things I’m using atm) and then they decide to pull out? :( I think I shall go get more things d, so at least I’ll be able to try first, then somehow get to SG to buy it if it’s great =/

Sigh. I hate it when easily accessible brands pull out of the country/region.

December 20, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Looks like Singapore will benefit from us going there to buy – and probably wonder why their sales are going up LOL!

Sabrina
December 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm

WHHAAATTTT????!!! I love the matt moisturizer… oh my… it change my skin 360!
aw.. :(((

December 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Yeah its unfortunately true. Time to pick up some back ups?

bronzechiqz December 20, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Oh dats bad!I wonder y they’re not doing well in Msian market, it should be equally good to RoC skincare too.Perhaps the price?Many of my friends are using the Normaderm range, guess they have to find other alternatives as well.

December 21, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I actually think ROC is more pricey yet its still around. I’m not sure what the actual reason is, but the line I was told is that our market just isn’t reasy :(

milktea December 20, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Arrghh! Oh no! I haven’t been pharmacy browsing for a while now, is there anything left to grab?? o_O Vichy, Vichy… why? Why? :(

ehuey December 21, 2011 at 9:20 am

Caring Pharmacy in Subang Parade still has the buy 1 free 1 promo :) i just got my cleanser and hydrating care last night!

plue
December 26, 2011 at 2:54 am

paris, i saw Caring in Sungai Wang still carries the cleanser and quite a few more left too :) I love the Tri Activ and the Normaderm Nuit and the pore resurfacing essence! Sad that it’s leaving, but we can always get our fix in Singapore? They aren’t pulling out from there too right?
plue recently blogged…New From Taiwan: My Beauty Diary Blooming Garden Lemon & Verbena Body LotionMy Profile

December 26, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I managed to pick up the cleanser in BSC 😀 Picked up the last two there LOL! I think it should be available in Singapore but I’m not sure.

Luna January 15, 2012 at 9:33 am

I’m freakin sad now, I have used their concealer since I was in school. I kept on buying cause it is really good in covering and healing any blemishes. Now I have to find other brand to conceal them :-(

helen January 21, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Hey, I also like Vichy very very much! I am so sad when I know it’s gonna pulling out from Malaysia!

rose February 2, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I never knew that Vichy will be pulled out of Malaysia until today. this is the BEST product I ever used. also very savvy. I went to Guardian just now to restock my facial wash and was told it is not available in Malaysia anymore. I thought the SA was joking with me. soooo sad! now I have to try something else (I hate to experience the same thing again!) until I can find something as good as Vichy.

Syila Astor July 15, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Hey Paris,
I really love the Vichy purifying cleanser and I only know that they are not in Malaysia any more from reading your post. FYI, I have been using the same your Breakout Buster minus the Body Shop face wash. How odd is that! =) Do you any face cleanser that is as great as the Vichy? Let me know.

July 18, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Hi Syila I actually have not found any face wash as good for breakouts as the Vichy one. I know, sad right? I did manage to stock up before they pulled out but once I’m done I might be getting my stocks from Singapore instead :)

@beautyfacial August 3, 2012 at 10:23 am

i’m the latest to know this just yesterday.vichy normaderm was my holy grail to oil control. if u want alternative to best oil control, you can opt for “all day no shine sebum balancer” fr Ampm can be purchased from naruko.com.my this is really a all day no shine from 9-6 at least. will try their naruko oil control range also. will update it on my blog.

@beautyfacial August 3, 2012 at 10:25 am

for oil control, majiami fr big watson store also not bad.

Lucy November 7, 2012 at 12:23 am

Hey, I know I’m super late to comment. But do you know where to get Vichy products online? It’s not possible for me to go all the way to Singapore to get the products. Thanks!

November 7, 2012 at 12:28 am