The Midas Touch : Dior Or Etoile Rouge Dior Lip Colour

in FOTD,Lipstick,Makeup,Product Reviews

I’m going to share you with you something unexpected. A gold lipstick.

Well not so much just a gold lipstick, but a gold lipstick that I like, and which I think amps up the Holiday/Glam factor. I present you the Dior Or Etoile Rouge Dior lip colour.

dior or etoile The Midas Touch : Dior Or Etoile Rouge Dior Lip Colour

Dior’s Christmas collection has gold infused throughout their whole collection. I have Nocturne to show you too. A gorgeous deep red shot through with gold. But today, its the star colour – Or Etoile. The day I got it, I thought “Huh? How on earth do I wear this one?” and I was stumped.

Or Etoile is a straight gold lipstick. I wouldn’t use it on its own to be honest. I’ll show you why below – I look like a Golden Corpse! But it is beautiful dabbed over an existing lip colour.

Here is PB the Golden Corpse.

dior or etoile2 The Midas Touch : Dior Or Etoile Rouge Dior Lip Colour

This is Or Etoile straight on the lips. There might be people who can pull off a colour like this one, but I’m not her. On the lips it is just gold shimmer. It is testament to its pigment that you even see my lips as being gold at all. It is a semi pigmented lip colour like all Rouge Dior and feels light on the lips.

Here’s a swatch on the back of my hand – again, straight gold.

dior or etoile4 The Midas Touch : Dior Or Etoile Rouge Dior Lip Colour

Very pretty actually, don’t you think?

How I use Or Etoile is for emphasis. I dab it on top of an existing lip colour, in the middle of my lower lip and upper lip. This adds gold shimmer, highlight and plumps up the lips.

dior or etoile3 The Midas Touch : Dior Or Etoile Rouge Dior Lip Colour

I wore it here over Tom Ford Moroccan Rouge (typo in photo) and you can see just where I applied it. It shines with a lovely golden touch doesn’t it? It also works well with pinks but I find that Or Etoile works best over a deeper coloured base. It adds a warmth and a glow to the lips, and it lasts as long as your lipstick does! (Before I found my Lipstick Bandit Fall lip colour, this was going to be my entry)

There is a problem of course. Dabbing the lipstick directly over an existing lip colour means you mess up your lipstick something awful so I do spend time cleaning off lip colour from Or Etoile after every use. For some reason, this also means the lipstick wears out more quickly. I’m already smudging off the word Dior that is etched into the side of the lippie, and I almost never reach that bit this quickly!

In a nutshell

A novelty lip colour that has the same high quality associated with Rouge Dior lipsticks. It is very smooth and not gritty but is mainly meant for highlighting existing lip shades. It works best over a deeper lip shade and adds a golden warmth, highlight and an illusion of plumped up lips. Not a must have, but is fun to own.

Pros: Warm golden shimmer isn’t gritty and adds a pretty golden warmth to lip colours especially deeper colours, Perfect for party season, Smooth texture and beautiful high shimmer

Cons: Novelty factor, Pricey, Easy to mess up when layering over lip colours

I can imagine that Or Etoile can also be used as a highlight for eyes maybe, if one were so inclined. Just a touch of creamy gold colour where you need it. Its rather surprising, but I have been using this quite a lot, initially for fun, but later just to see how interesting it can make my lip colours look. It lightens the lip colour somewhat, which you may notice from the Tom Ford Moroccan Rouge if you compare it to my earlier swatch – Moroccan Rouge has no golden shimmer.

Wear this over a medium pink like Rouge Dior Devilish Pink and its gorgeous too. It warms up lip colours and adds a golden glow without making it look glittery like a golden lipgloss would. As I have noted, I will not tell you that this is a must have colour. But it is most certainly a colour that is fun to own and if this clueless soul can make it work, so can you! icon biggrin The Midas Touch : Dior Or Etoile Rouge Dior Lip Colour

Would you consider a pure gold lipstick like Rouge Dior Or Etoile? How else might you wear this lip colour? icon smile The Midas Touch : Dior Or Etoile Rouge Dior Lip Colour

Rouge Dior Or Etoile Lip Colour retails at RM95 at Dior Counters and is Limited Edition for Christmas and Holiday 2011.

Disclosure: Featured product was provided by PR for consideration. For posting guidelines please read my disclaimer.

Hanny Daforcena November 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Gold lipstick. Wow. Can I get one in silver?

Wait a minute, I have seen people using MAC’s pigments to double up as shimmer for the lips. So there you have it, just use Rose or Melon (or whatever gold-ish pigment you have) and you have a gold-ish sheen to add to your lips!

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Yep its entirely possible to use pigments to enhance. I’ve done it too. It sometimes tends to be a bit too shimmery but you can mix it into liquid lipstick and create your own shades. I’ve never seen silver lipstick yet. I think that’s just too cool for the majority :)

Selina November 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm

MAC actually just came out with a silver lipstick called Eloquent Air for their Holiday 2011 collection. Personally I like the gold, though, and I have a cheap brand gold lipstick that I like to use for layering, like Paris did.

xiao November 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm

gorgeous! have to start playing with mine again. got distracted by all those berries we’ve been looking at :P

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Haha yes me too! The whole Bandit thing is just another excuse for us to enable ourselves to buy more lipsticks it seems :p

Stephanie/Yukaeshi November 16, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Ooooooh! I saw this yesterday while I was running errands and thought to myself “Gold lipstick? But how?” but didn’t stop to try it out. Now I know! :D Yes, alone it looks pretty “blah” on you, then again maybe it’s because you’re so fair (Hence the “corpse”-like look)! :) But it looks absolutely stunning layered over the red lipstick like you demonstrated (Hehe Moroccan Rose).

I’d probably give it a try over my bare lips when I get the chance, just to see how I look with pure gold lipstick :P If it looks better over lipstick, then it truly is a novelty because it’d run out faster like you mentioned haha!

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Honestly, pure gold lipstick of a shade like this doesn’t suit anyone unless maybe if it was Halloween and you were going as a statue :P it is however very pretty over a deep colored lipstick because it brings out the color somehow. I’m considering a backup!

LeGeeque November 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm

So certain YSL does a Gold gloss I was tempted to get many years ago as well. But you’re right, it’s really a novelty thing. It’s lovely over the Tom Ford colour you have. Still can’t bring myself to spend $65 on a Tom Ford lippie. It’s really extravagant :(

PS-Reading through your archives cos this procrastination queen is at her best in avoiding powerpoint slides.

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Yep YSL and a few other brands have good glosses. I may have one too. But I’m not a gloss girl and glosses tend to make lipsticks goopy and add too much shine. The nice thing about this is that it just adds golden warmth and that’s it! No goop! :D I don’t know if I would ever splurge on a TF lipstick myself. Thank God for generous friends :D

shortsandshirts November 16, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Hey, I have a gold lip gloss. And you can make it wearable by itself by placing a teensy bit on the middle of your lips and smudge it out.

Well at least that’s how I wear mine. I also place them on those lipsticks which which makes me look like a corpse(Nude or an un-flattering tone) and it instantly becomes wearable!

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Good tip on trying this over a nude shade! I’ll have to try that and see :)

rinnah November 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I wonder how gold lips would look like on our resident nude lips poster girl Connie? :)

It’s an interesting gimmick on its own but I’m liking how you turned it into a highlight for other lip colors.

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Haha somehow I can’t see our Connie in golden lips :P I checked in with Dior and was told to mix it up instead of using it alone which I was assured would be best only at Halloween hehe

plue November 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm

oooh is this the gold lipstick you tweeted to me earlier? imagining having gold lipstick to layer over other colours! i think i have seen golden/ yellowish coloured lipgloss, but this is the ever 1st time i have seen lipstick, in gold.

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Yup this is the one I told you about. I switched the Shu one and while the color is nice, I didn’t like how gritty it felt. I reckon I could duplicate the color at home with this and one of my deep red lipsticks :D

plue November 17, 2011 at 9:30 am

i thought Shu was kinda smooth, at least on my lips i don’t remember feeling it being gritty (maybe it’s my dry cracked lips which is interfering) , but when swatch on hand and gently rubbing it, yes it does feel so a little.

funny how can one texture feel different on my hands and lips!

ParisB November 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Maybe the nerve endings in our lips don’t feel that for some reason. Some lipsticks that feel gritty on my hands don’t feel that way on my lips either :)

Jamilla November 16, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I think this is great as a highlight for bolder lip colours! Very pretty but not to be worn alone!

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Definitely not to be worn alone! :D

Stacey November 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm

lovely lippy. :)

i think you could use ur fingers to get some of the lipstick on your fingers and dab on your lips to apply. could possible give u more mileage for your lipstick! and a lipstick like this is such a rare gem. :)

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Thanks Stacey! I did try that and it gives a slightly more subtle look – just a hint of gold which is just as pretty :) but for emphasis it’s lipstick on the lips all the way! :D

peach_ November 16, 2011 at 5:57 pm

AHH it’s beautiful!! I laughed at gold corpse…at least you’d be a glamorous gold corpse. :) I love that you can match your lips to nails with this since Dior’s holiday nail polishes appear gold only where it’s highlighted in the light.

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 7:24 pm

You know what’d be cool? Dior Nocturne with Apparat! Although Apparat is deeper. Gonna give it a go! ;)

peach_ November 17, 2011 at 9:59 am

That would look amazing! Photos, photos! :D

ParisB November 17, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Working on this! :D

Ash November 16, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Benefit has one too. I have it in my collection a few years back. I wote it exactly as you described it. Layered it on top of another colour. Its pretty!

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Yay for being bold and wearing gold lipstick! :) now you mention it I think I recall the Benefit one! I may even have it somewhere hehe

Saphy November 16, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I wonder what does it looks like when you apply it on your bare lips o.o looks interesting

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:44 pm

No need to wonder Saphy, it’s in picture #2 above! ;)

Saphy November 16, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Oooh whoops =X I thought it was layered above another lipstick =X my bad

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Lol no problems ;) maybe I wasn’t too clear because I did think it looked a bit corpse-like ;)

beetrice November 16, 2011 at 9:05 pm

kekeke…Body Shop Morrocan Rose alert! :P I think it would look quite interesting over a peach lippie, you reckon?

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I haven’t tried it over peach but I layered it over pink and its super gorgeous too! But it does really come into its own over a darker color I think, for contrast :) and yes I always get the name of that TF lipstick wrong :P

lyn November 16, 2011 at 9:07 pm

This is such a gorgeous layering lipstick and looks so fabulous when you paired it with a berry / wine colour! I’m eyeing that Apparat nail polish from the collection ‘cos I have nail polish on my brain ;-)

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Apparat is very pretty actually. I’m really bad at painting my nails but I’m trying to master this one just because it’s pretty!

jengae November 16, 2011 at 9:25 pm

applied on bare lips is not bad at all!!
u look like a very pretty corpse! jk!! not corpse-ish at all! u look just fine.
but layered on the red lipstick really up the glam point!

ParisB November 16, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Haha i’ll be a glam zombie :P definitely better over a color eh? It’s a shade that transforms a lipstick from blah to ready to partay! :D

Larie November 17, 2011 at 2:05 am

I totally feel you on this one! The idea of using it to layer is lovely, but in practice, you will have tons of lipstick everywhere! I think a gloss would be a better gold layering product…but it is so pretty ._.

ParisB November 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm

The nice thing is that this one feels light and adds just enough gold without making it look tacky :) A gloss would definitely up the shiny and sparkle factor but I’m still a lipstick girl at heart ;)

Larie November 18, 2011 at 1:11 am

Oh, I agree, I just meant that when layering, I know I would get my original lipstick all over Etoile when I tried to layer, and it would drive me nuts. ._.

ParisB November 18, 2011 at 8:58 am

Oh yes! It messes up the lipstick something awful and when I wipe off, I take off quite a lot of Or Etoile too. It really sucks

nicole'smirror November 17, 2011 at 2:13 am

ahhh I actually like it straight up gold :P

ParisB November 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm

LOL A bit OTT but hey, if you can pull it off way to go! :D

lemon November 17, 2011 at 10:42 am

Ha ha, I prefer you in red lippies, the makeup in 2nd photo is gorgeous, you looks so elegant and classy…..

ParisB November 17, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Thanks Lemon :D I prefer me in red lippies too ;)

AnT November 17, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Wow Paris! It gives your kissable voluptuous lips some 3D effect!
LOL But not the golden corpse please :P Perhaps a Golden Vampire like Jessica in True Blood version would be awesome! :D

ParisB November 17, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Haha the only vampires I can identify with wear evening dress, live in crumbly gothic castles and turn into bats :P None of these sparkly new age vamps please :P Oh and thank you – I think it really amps up lip colours!

Tracy@Beauty Reflections November 17, 2011 at 1:24 pm

SOLD. I would never have picked this up, but it looks so elegant over your lippie!I don’t actually mind it on its own either-it looks good too that way on you girl!
Man, you new lipstick bandits are killing my wallet…

ParisB November 17, 2011 at 4:52 pm

LOL!! The bigger the group of Bandits grow, the flatter our wallets become :P Thank you Tracy, I think this works beautifully over any lipstick – I’m going to try it with some lighter shades soon :D

Mari November 19, 2011 at 11:00 am

I’ve tried a golden lippie before and ended up pale as a corpse! But the result is beautiful over another lipstick. Lightens up the mood, I’d say. But TF’s Moroccan Rouge doesn’t really have much room for improvement, does it? It is perfect in itself!

I love golden pigments on cheeks and eyelids, but I’m yet to try a golden lipstick that suits me. ;)

Paris B November 21, 2011 at 9:14 am

Hi Mari! No you’re right. Tom Ford needs no improvement but the gold adds a zing to the color and turns its straight into holiday mode! How have you been anyway? Hope alls been well!

Mari November 21, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Yes, I’ve been away, haven’t I? My life’s been hectic, with my changing jobs and all – gotta prove my worth all over again. It’s working so far: got myself a business trip, an international course and respect (oh yeah) – then I had to undergo a surgery, but nothing serious. Currently I’m on holiday, so I’m catching up with my friends.^^

Paris B November 23, 2011 at 10:30 am

Glad to know alls been well with you despite the change of jobs and surgery !! Enjoy your holiday ;)

Hilary November 22, 2011 at 10:54 pm

wow this is gorg! do you know of any good dupes for it?

Paris B November 23, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Unfortunately no I don’t know of any dupes. Some people have commented about a similar one in Benefit but I don’t know if it’s still around.

Sherry December 15, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Looking good I used to have gold colour lipstick but it taste funny

Issa December 15, 2011 at 10:31 pm

i gives that extra oomph! :)

Katy M December 16, 2011 at 6:55 am

I’d totally wear it alone and in the center of the lip for a highlighter. Loving it!