Your Say: Do You Wash Your Hair Everyday?

in Discussions,Hair

wash hair1 Your Say: Do You Wash Your Hair Everyday?

There are 2 schools of thought about hair washing.

The first school of thought says you should wash your hair everyday, especially if you are like me and live in a hot and humid climate. The scalp gets oily and if you live in a polluted area e.g. cities, then it could feel worse. So washing your hair at the end of the day gets rid of the oil and dirt on your scalp and therefore results in a healthier scalp.

The second school of thought says you shouldn’t wash your hair everyday, because that can lead to your scalp drying out, a flaky scalp, excessive oiliness and hair loss.

Which school of thought do you belong to?

I belong to the third school of thought – My own icon biggrin Your Say: Do You Wash Your Hair Everyday? The third school of thought says do whatever makes you feel more comfortable in.

So in my case, I wash my hair everyday because it makes me feel comfortable. Also, I live in the tropics where even on the balmiest days, unless you are perpetually ensconced in an air-conditioned environment, you will still sweat and even when it dries, it can make your hair feel heavy, oily and awful.

But that’s how I feel. So I wash my hair everyday, because I figure. If I shower everyday to clean my body, why not my scalp? icon smile Your Say: Do You Wash Your Hair Everyday? In fact, I wash my hair everyday regardless of where I am, spring, summer, autumn or winter. Praise the Heavens for the inventor of the hairdryer icon razz Your Say: Do You Wash Your Hair Everyday?

Your Say: Do you wash your hair everyday? If not, why?

p/s Adorable little girl in picture is a stock photo. No relation LOL! icon wink Your Say: Do You Wash Your Hair Everyday?

Hanny
August 23, 2011 at 8:40 am

I wash my hair every morning. At night I just wet it. I think my hair is in good condition because I never, ever blow dry my hair. I just don’t know how. >.<
Hanny recently blogged…400000 hits! OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH! (And a little note…)My Profile

Lisa August 23, 2011 at 11:55 am

I do it the other way round. Wash and condition at the end of the day. In the morning, just a rinse. However for me, I feel that I must use the hairdryer (high wattage one) in order to have healthier and manageable hair. If I leave my hair to dry on it’s own, it’s highly unmanageable and also more drying.

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I’m the same as you Lisa – I need a good hairdryer to get my hair looking good and bouncy :)

Lisa August 23, 2011 at 7:40 pm

A good hair dryer and also a good comb for me. In my case, I like my can’t do without Kent hair brush “KS30″.

ParisB August 24, 2011 at 6:23 pm

A good comb. Since I never comb my hair I’ve never really looked at my comb :) its just your regular wide toothed comb hehe

aya August 23, 2011 at 8:08 pm

well, i am absolutely the other way around. i never did blow my hair except my days joining a gym..( and was with short hair)

if i wanted a nice hair for the day, would wash, comb straight and let it dry…nicely

ParisB August 24, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I guess you’re lucky you have hair that behaves :) my shorter hair looks terrible if I don’t blow dry it properly

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I blow dry out of necessity – else I wake up with really weird hair. And I don’t have a technique either – the purpose for me is just to get the hair dry LOL

S August 23, 2011 at 8:43 am

I wash my hair everyday too regardless of season or weather! Like you, it just makes me feel more clean, comfortable and less greasy.. Then again sometimes I suppose the ‘greasy’ feeling is all in my head, especially during those colder months but I still wash my hair anyway! =D
S recently blogged…Do you stalk/do blog sales?My Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I find sometimes in the colder months, we may not notice it, but the oil and grease sticks to the hair a bit more. At least that’s how it felt to me when you have to run in the sleet or snow. My hair always feels stiff like straw after that. No matter how cold it was, I always washed my hair :P

Stephy August 23, 2011 at 8:43 am

I wash every morning. Why? Coz once I wake up my scalp is oily.
And I have thin fine hair. Oily scalp makes my hair flat. =(
Of course I can’t live without hairdryer!
Stephy recently blogged…What Catches My EyesMy Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Ah yes. Oil is fine hair’s worst enemy!

Sandra
August 23, 2011 at 8:47 am

I do! I am exposed to powder/dust (mostly) & other chemicals at work so daily washing is a must. Weekend washing is either using detox shampoo or shampoo-less (just rinsing since I seldom use hair products anyway). (:
Sandra recently blogged…Ubat batuk cap ibu & anakMy Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Oh yeah in that sort of dusty environment, its really hard on the hair so washing it everyday is probably a good idea :)

Iza August 23, 2011 at 8:52 am

I wash every other day :-) Did you hear about some movement that actually encourage people not to wash their hair with shampoo/products because in the end its supposed to make the hair better in the long run?

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:43 pm

There is such a movement? I’m not aware of it, but after sweating and in the city dust, if you don’t use a shampoo its really awful – hair just feels matted up!

Jatnna February 17, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Sorry for the long response, got a lot to say.

Getting into the hand of washing your hair less takes time. Remember your body does what you tell it to. If u wash it constantly, u r telling it, hey u can get oily all u want Ima clean u, just like if u don’t drink or eat enough your body will conserve the water and fat in your body. I used to wash my hair every day and wash my face like 4 times a day. I would constantly have a disgustingly oily skin and my roots were oily, while I had a DRY lower portion of hair. Also, I had body odor, just like every human. I have curly hair so oil does not travel down to my ends
. Now I dont even shower every day. I’ve I’ve learned its ok to wash your hair every day as long as u do a deep condition EVERY SINGLE NIGHT when u sleep. Now I only wash my hair once a week, my skin is awesome. I don’t even need deodorant I don’t smell AT ALL. I’m always outside working in the garden. The only case where I stink is if I have worked out three days in a row. If I wear deodorant when Ima work out I’m fine. My skin was always irritated before and now its always soft. My hair is prettyyy. its all about what you get your body used to. oh yeah, and I live in Miami, Fl. MOIST environment. I’m not one of these lucky girls who don’t sweat. I do. But I told my body, hey I’m not going to wash you, so it said ok fine I won’t get dirty. Granted there was a transition period of about 3 months to where I am now. I HATED it. my scalp was so horribly itchy. I was ugly for those three months always wearing a bandana, oily head, always felt dirty. But little by little my body changed. Also I’m a big girl, not a skinny girl who doesn’t sweat at all like one of my best friends (lucky her, she works out and doesn’t sweat, while there is sweat on my forehead on my way to the car). Now I feel “naturally” pretty. and its not my opinion. Even my boyfriend loves to smell me.

there was one key factor that allowed me to do this transition. I did the actual transition while in a dry climate. If I would have tried to do the transition in miami I wouldn’t have been able to do it. i spent three months in a foreign country though so yeah. I urge some of you girls to keep that in mind. your body is a response system. Also GO SULFATE FREE PLEASE HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I’m done now :)

Lisa August 23, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Yes. Just use water. Think it needs one to persist for it to work?? There’s also some who uses cider vinegar for hair wash. No shampoo etc.

Catherine August 25, 2011 at 5:24 am

Its called “no poo” You can just use conditioner (silicone free) to wash the hair, or a solution of baking soda, or just water. There are many, many ways to do it and usually every person has their own seperate ways of doing it. It does take some persistance to work, and it works better with soft water but for some people it really agrees with their hair. I wash my hair twice a week- though not on set days- and I just use water. My hair isn’t particulary oily though and my scalp is dry so I avoid washing it too much and I find no poo helps with my scalp problems : )

xin
August 23, 2011 at 8:53 am

omg who is the cute girl in the picture??!!!
i wash my hair 2x a day on a weekday because of the oil and dirt on the weekday :S
xin recently blogged…NOTD: Spongebob Squarepants says Happy Monday!My Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:43 pm

LOL Its just a stock photo la :P No one we know

rinnah
August 23, 2011 at 9:15 am

How often I wash depends on the mood of my scalp… hahaha… I find my scalp conditions change with my skin condition – if I’m having an eczema breakout, my scalp follows suit and dries out (looks like dandruff sometimes); but when my skin is back to normal then I get oily. :(

So I’ll wash maybe once every other day in dry conditions and every day in oily conditions. Oh, and the shampoo I use plays a part as well – I have different shampoos for different times. :)
rinnah recently blogged…Palmer’s Olive Butter FormulaMy Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I do notice that some shampoos aggravate my scalp more than others. I dont’ have different sorts of shampoos but I have different shampoos because I get tired of them so quickly! :)

ksuan August 23, 2011 at 9:17 am

I’ve been an everyday hair-washer since as far back as I can remember. I started doing so because of my oily scalp, but sometimes I wonder if it’s purely habitual. I am transitioning slowly to washing once every two days as my hair grows out and is becoming a tiny bit more prone to falling out in the wash :(
ksuan recently blogged…Quickie Review: Urban Decay NAKEDMy Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm

When I had longer hair, I was even more paranoid about washing it everyday because it always felt awful at the end of the day LOL But yes, long hair is more prone to falling out. So perhaps thats why I have short hair – what I don’t see doesn’t happen ;)

August 23, 2011 at 9:27 am

I must wash my hair every morning. I have fine hair and oily scalp. I look horrible in the mornings if I didn’t wash my hair. Eeww….
Lily recently blogged…The Verdict: 14 Days with Clarisonic PlusMy Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I know what you mean. Horrible hair can spoil the whole day right? I have to blow dry my hair at night because if I do, I wake up with nice hair but if I don’t, eww!

Cas August 23, 2011 at 9:29 am

I wash my hair EVERYDAY without fail and infact I wash it twice a day because I have such oily scalp. I can’t stand smelly oily hair. Try standing in the lift full of people anywhere and you’ll notice how some people’s hair actually smell. Can’t stand that!
Cas recently blogged…Baby Sairah Goes To BaliMy Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Oh *gag!* I know wxactly what you mean! Especially if they are at nose level :P

Jenn
August 23, 2011 at 9:40 am

I wash my hair everyday too in the evenings! Can’t stand the thought of going to bed with oily, dirty hair and smearing that all over my pillow and *gasp* face!! >.<
Jenn recently blogged…Product Review: Daiso Ellefar Flat Eyebrow B Eyebrow Pencil in Dark BrownMy Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Yes! If I don’t wash my hair I don’t sleep well. Probably just a habit but there you go :P

beetrice
August 23, 2011 at 10:07 am

hmm…why does that girl in the picture look so familiar…? :P I wash mine everyday, with the exception of once in two days when I’m in cold climate countries. Leaves me feeling a lot more comfortable…not to mention if I don’t, I feel like scratching my scalp (even though it doesn’t itch!) and it just feels….icky.
beetrice recently blogged…Revlon Colorburst Lipgloss…My Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:47 pm

She’s cute right? Picked it up from a stock photo site LOL!

Alexandra August 23, 2011 at 10:44 am

My flaky and oily scalp is the result of not washing my hair everyday. Since then, have been washing my hair everyday. No more to embarassing flakes falling off, and scratching either. Totally love it if my hair smells good! ( On another note, I can be a bit put off by some who permeates ‘a week old’ odour from the hair ) * Shivers*
Alexandra recently blogged…Review: Garden of Wisdom Eye Majik CreamMy Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Its not just you Alexandra. I am totally put off by the smell of stale hair too eww! Glad you solved your oily scalp problem :)

Issa August 23, 2011 at 11:10 am

i wash my hair everyday because i am more comforatble doing it. we also have a humid weather down here that’s why i feel so hot not washing my hair. besides, imy hair gets oily and greasy if i don’t wash it even for one day….

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I blame how we feel on our climate too – I think the humidity in the air contributes to the oiliness of our scalp :)

Shan August 23, 2011 at 11:11 am

I have long, thick, dry, chemically treated hair, so I tend to wash every 3 days since shampooing effectively strips the natural oils from your hair. I do brush everyday tho, and that does help minimise any product/oil buildup on your scalp.

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Ah that’s interesting about brushing. I don’t brush my hair at all

terry August 23, 2011 at 11:19 am

YES, because if I don’t, the combination of the heat and humidity makes me itch all night… AHHHHHHHHHH. And also it just doesn’t look good on thin hair like mine coz when I comb down my parting neatly, it just looks collapsed and greasy and disgusting. My hair does get kinda dry sometimes so I do treatments to pamper it from time to time, or rather, when I have the time and patience.=P

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I can’t sleep with unwashed hair – feels weird LOL I think the habit’s just getting to me. And I should do a hair mask now and then too but as you said when I have the time and patience!

Tine
August 23, 2011 at 11:48 am

Aww the kid’s cute. And there I was wondering if she was your niece or something :P

I’m definitely with you. I wash whenever I want to. There will be times when I’m too tired or sick to wash my hair. Dry shampoos are incredibly handy for times like that. My routine is every other day, but you never know, I might change it up if my hair’s stinking up something rotten (especially after using the oven. I don’t know why) :P
Tine recently blogged…Beat ‘Em Scars with Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Skin Therapy OilMy Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Haha would that I had a niece that big :) Oh yes, cooking brings out the worst in my hair too. For me, its the combination of heat and sweat and smells. Also, eating out.

peach_ August 23, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I’m like you and wash my hair daily. I live in a hot/humid climate as well, and I just feel gross by the end of the day.

Here in Japan, the general consensus girls follow seem to be: “wash away today’s grime by the end of the day.” That means physical grime like sweat and dirty, but also “grime” like negative thoughts. :)
peach_ recently blogged…Dior Vernis Gruau G* 837 (Les Rouges Collection)My Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I like that Japanese way of thinking! When I step into the shower at the end of the day today, I’m going to do just that – wash away negative thoughts :)

Erny August 23, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I wash my hair every alternate night, eventhough at times, it gets really greasy just the next day, I’ll just tie em up.
However, I do think washing my hair everyday is a wiser choice, but I have yet to practice doing so, for fear that I will suffer more hair loss through washing.

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Perhaps if hair loss is already a problem then washing everyday may not be a good idea :) But on the other hand, it might help because greasy hair falls out more too!

Tifa August 23, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I wash my hair every night .Love the good smell before go to sleep .
Tifa recently blogged…Tenkyu !! Ramadhan telah menghilangkan perut buncitku.My Profile

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Haha you must use a nice shampoo then! :D

giddy tigress
August 23, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Yes I wash my hair every day! (even after giving birth) – hehe…
btw, why does your CommentLuv plugin not work on my feed? :(

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Even during confinement? That’s brave :P And I’m not sure about the commentluv thing – I’ve seen other feeds of yours show up before.

giddy tigress
August 23, 2011 at 4:17 pm

yes, even during confinement :) During confinement, I used the hairdryer though… :)

I always see this message: A feed could not be found at http://www.giddytigers.com

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Hmm… that’s odd. I get that too sometimes at certain sites I visit. I’m never quite sure why – my plugin is up to date though. Wanna try resyncing your feed? (feedburner) it helped me :)

giddy tigress
August 24, 2011 at 12:19 am

Pinged and resynced my feed! Hope it works!!!

giddy tigress
August 24, 2011 at 12:20 am

Nope.. :(

ParisB August 24, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Oh boo :( try signing up at commentluv and see if it helps?

Saphy
August 23, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I wash my hair every day :3 too used to it =x my hair gets really oily if I don’t and I hate that >_<

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I don’t get very oily hair, but I guess I’m like the majority here – used to it so I feel uncomfortable when I don’t :)

Jamilla Camel August 23, 2011 at 3:38 pm

When I’m in Muscat or a country that it hot and humid, I wash every day. When I’m in the UK, I wash it when it needs it.

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Ah the UK and their unpredictable weather :D I used to still wash my hair everyday though – the other girls I lived with thought I was mad :P

j3nny9irL August 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I have to wash my hair everyday… My scalp is super oily… During my shorter hair days… If it’s a boy cut during school days… I wash everytime I bathe. So it’s a must! And yes hairdryer is a must~! :P

ParisB August 23, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Thank Heavens for the inventor of the hairdryer! :D

j3nny9irL August 23, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Yes~! Dunno what I’ll do without it…

gio August 23, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I have oily hair that gets greasy so quickly so I wash it every other day. If it gets really greasy, I’ll just either use dry shampoo or wear my hair in a messy bun.
gio recently blogged…Product Review: Liz Earle Foot Repair MoisturizerMy Profile

j3nny9irL August 23, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Gio, you might wanna give Sukin Purifying Shampoo a try. It’s for oily scalp. I’ve been using it for 2 yrs now and it’s great. I have oily scalp and it gets greasy til my hair gets so greasy as well. But with Sukin’s shampoo… only my scalp is only and it doesn’t spread to the hair. I guess other shampoos just dries out the hair too much. Get a small bottle and try. :) Hope it’s good news for you

ParisB August 24, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Know what Gio? I’ve never used a dry shampoo! I should give it a go :)