Snail Cream : Would you put it on your face?

in Moisturiser,Skincare,Treatment

Dare you try something called a “Snail Cream” if only for the sake of experimentation or beauty?

snail cream2 Snail Cream : Would you put it on your face?

I kid you not. Snail cream is a very valid range of skincare that has been gripping Korea by storm. Almost every Korean brand of skincare – Etude House, Tony Moly, Baviphat, It’s Skin  etc – has a line dedicated to snails. The first time I saw it, I shuddered.

Snail mucus on your skin?! Eww!

But really, its not all that gross as it sounds. It actually looks and smells just like any other moisturizer out there. Nothing slimy or gross about it at all. And it isn’t as new an “invention” either. There have been snail creams around for a while, and when I did a quick online search, one that popped up over and over was Elicina Snail Cream from Chile. I’d never heard of it before this so I forgive you if you haven’t come across it either icon biggrin Snail Cream : Would you put it on your face?

snail cream3 Snail Cream : Would you put it on your face?

What these snail creams do is use extract of Snail Mucin in their products – apparently yes, that’s the mucus bit. According to the brochure of the Tony Moly Intensive Repair Live Snail Cream, the skincare benefits of snail mucin was discovered by Chilean snail farmers who discovered that from handling the snails kept for food, the mucus helps heal cuts and abrasions and kept their hands looking smooth. And research showed that snail mucin had regenerative effects on the skin. Apparently, even Japanese cosmetics companies are looking into this due to the popularity of snail creams in the region.

snail cream Snail Cream : Would you put it on your face?

Tony Moly Intensive Repair Live Snail Cream and Intensive Repair Live Snail Eye Cream

The Koreans, being presently at the forefront of skincare technology, have embraced the technology of snail mucin and incorporated it into their skincare. It is touted as a cure all, from having anti-aging benefits to whitening to hydration. In fact, it seems to be an all in one sort of cream! Boxes of snail creams were being snapped up even as I stood deliberating over my purchase so yes, if you are wondering, it is very popular.

So, would you dare put this cream on your face knowing what it contains? icon biggrin Snail Cream : Would you put it on your face?

Update: Read my Tony Moly Snail Cream review here!

Tony Moly is not presently available in Malaysia. The Tony Moly Intensive Live Snail Cream set as shown retailed at US$29 (duty free)

Issa May 5, 2011 at 9:20 am

yes i would! all for the sake of beauty. hihihi….however, i don’t think we have that down here…..

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm

We don’t have this one here either but if you look at the Korean brands, they might have started bringing in the snail creams ;)

Pijieva May 5, 2011 at 9:20 am

Not too pricey….good try

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I thought so too.

yuki
May 5, 2011 at 9:36 am

I have a few sachets of samples from one of the Korean brands and yea, me and my sister’s reactions were ,’WHAT?? Snail cream???’

Gotta try them since u said it’s so laku! hahaha.

The Japanese not only put this on their face, they even put swiftlet poo on their face!! It’s super expensive too! They’d love to visit our caves then… hahaha… have a guano bath!

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Yes they were seriously flying off the shelves. They didn’t even have time to unpack them! LOL at the swiftlet poo. I’d read about nightingale poo but swiftlet would be easy to source locally no? ;)

eliza May 5, 2011 at 10:01 am

i shudder with geli-ness @@

is the snail ingredient first on the list or last? I am a bit skeptical when I see the supposedly best or main ingredient is last on the list.

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I’ve no idea to be honest. I don’t even know what constitutes the snail ingredient :P They do say that it has 70% snail mucin extract which is one of the higher amounts in their market :D

reene May 5, 2011 at 10:01 am

Well, since you reassured me that it doesn’t smell like snails…… I think I’d try it.
reene recently blogged…review- le métier de beauté true color eyeshadowsMy Profile

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 12:43 pm

haha… no it does not smell of snails or anything icky. :D

fairyha May 5, 2011 at 10:17 am

Knowing the fact that it’s from snail mucus I would probably steer away from it.

But then again if it really works AND I’m really desperate AND all other products fail me, maybe I will try snails skincare. Haha.

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Maybe if someone were to let you use it without telling you what’s in there eh? Knowing what it contains, I too was feeling eww! but I had to try in the spirit of experimentation.

melchewvin May 5, 2011 at 10:46 am

Why not if its works right?! but just dont make the snail as a logo then will do!!! ahahahha

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Oh but most of them do have a snail picture on the jar… just to show you its a snail cream LOL!

melchewvin May 5, 2011 at 10:43 pm

OH NO!!!!!! WHY?! fine I’ll just not look at the snail when i take the cream or just close my eyes!!!!!

AnT May 5, 2011 at 11:06 am

Hiya Paris!

Oh yes. I have tried Elicina back in 2009. First jar already caused zits on my face :( So I stopped using already since then. Can’t bin it as it’s quite pricey though. Hence I used it on dry knees and hands ;)

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Goodness! Is it very rich? A friend tried this Tony Moly cream and told me its quite oily so now I”m a bit sceptical if I should give it a go. Maybe for night use :)

AnT May 6, 2011 at 11:39 am

It’s not very rich though. It looks creamy but when you apply it thinly, it’s like any other lotion for combination skin. I tried using it once a day which is at night but still causing me pimples like no tomorrow :( Perhaps different brand delivers different results ;)

ParisB May 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I hope so! I would hate for this to break me out :(

nia
May 5, 2011 at 11:10 am

i think you can already find the snail cream at Etude House in malaysia.

please do share your review of ur snail moisturiser experience :)

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Ah thanks for letting us know! And I will definitely share my thoughts once I’ve had a go.

beetrice
May 5, 2011 at 11:21 am

there have been plenty of weird things put into cosmetics in the name of beauty (ie. fish scales, placenta…) so I guess it was just a matter of time before they came out with snail cream!

I’d say a tentative yes to trying the cream, but will definitely have to enforce a mental block NOT to think of snails when applying it! *vainly tries to rub away geli-fied standing hairs on forearm*
beetrice recently blogged…Back from Macau and HK…My Profile

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 12:46 pm

LOL!! I can depot some into a little jar, not tell you its from snails and then you can try it without fear ;)

Alexis May 5, 2011 at 11:44 am

I prefer plant based products than skincare that contain animal substance, so definitely a big NO NO to snail, or caterpillar / butterfly :)

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I guess I have no preferences on this ;)

Nikki May 5, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I wouldn’t mind! PB, as long as it’s not Cockroach essence or what nots! Anything related to Cockroach or look-alike! I’ll run the opposite way *major shudders*

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Oh eww! Not cockroach for me either! Or any bugs. Eww!!!

Cas May 5, 2011 at 12:50 pm

NUH UH, even if it can cure my acne prone skin I think I’ll just pass!

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 2:22 pm

haha actually now that you mention it, in the stores, they show this snail cream helping those with acne skin – before and after photos. Not sure how believable they are though :)

j3nny9irL May 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Poor snailsssss…. :P I might… or might not? Don’t know yet… :P Maybe not :P

ParisB May 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm

That was the exact dilemma I faced. Should I? Should I not? In the end I opted for trying it. Just once :P

Jean May 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm

If you dun tell me it’s made from snail, I am ok with it..
but thinking of snail crawling on my face….. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww… PASS!
Jean recently blogged…Hemes 24hr Hydrating Ultra-White Lift V-Mask 玫瑰超水感双V弹力亮白面膜My Profile

ParisB May 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm

HAHA! Actually having a snail crawl on your face might just serve the same purpose :P

gio May 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I don’t think I would. Even if it is not as gross as it seems, there are plenty of other beneficial ingredients available so I don’t really feel the need to use this.
gio recently blogged…2 Strawberry Masks For Acne-Prone SkinMy Profile

ParisB May 6, 2011 at 4:39 pm

That’s a point right there! :) Not even in the spirit of experimentation?

shuaddict
May 5, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I’m not usually squeamish but I wouldn’t do it. There are other alternatives out there for a moisturizer, ones not needing .. snails .. of any kind :)
shuaddict recently blogged…Falling Over FitFlops!My Profile

ParisB May 6, 2011 at 4:43 pm

hehe… but sometimes, unless its mentioned, we don’t know what goes into most creams either ;) Still I do agree. I’m not sure I’d stick with this regime but it was worth a try ;)

diane May 5, 2011 at 9:14 pm

people have probably put worse things on their face for the sake of Beauty! :)
Price wise looks reasonable, but hmmm…psychologically, I kinda shudder at the thought of what is in it :) I’ll have to forgo! :)

ParisB May 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm

LOL! Yes people have indeed used worse things for beauty :D Nightingale droppings come to mind and I think that, I’d forgo :P

Ros May 5, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Hi Paris!
Finally, a post on snail cream. Hehe.
I’ve tried it’s skin snail cream, and I must say that it is a wonderful cream. :)
It is much much much better than the overhyped La Mer.
It works well for my oily dry combi sensitive skin and helps fade some scars. Definitely worth a try! :)

ParisB May 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm

It was my first time coming across snail cream :D Glad to know that you’ve tried it and that it works for you! Which brand did you use?

Ros May 6, 2011 at 9:31 pm

It’s Skin. ;) Got it from gmarket korea at 20% – 40% off retail price! :)

ParisB May 8, 2011 at 11:53 am

i saw that one too! Was contemplating between that or Tony Moly :D

Junni May 6, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Hey Paris, I am using one! I got it from Dermalogica facial salon, the aesthetician claims it is a cream for scar reduction. I think it is called elicina and I remember she told me it is a kind of snail cream. I don’t think much but just slap it on my face! :) I’ll give you a review if you interested :)

ParisB May 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Oh I didn’t know they sold Elicina at Dermalogica salons :D I’ll drop you a line ;)

Luna
May 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I was in Korea over the Labour day long weekend too and Snail cream was everywhere!! I bought the snail box set from Nature Republic that came with an eye cream, serum and cream. Can’t wait to get started on them =)
Luna recently blogged…Blush Crush – Beautymaker Love Pu Pu CheeksMy Profile

ParisB May 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Hey! You were there the same time I was! :D I saw Snail Cream everywhere too hence my impulsive purchase. I saw the set at Nature Republic. Would be nice to see how it fares on you :)

giddy tigress
May 9, 2011 at 12:42 am

I would try it (*braves myself*)…just because it says it has fantastic healing properties…I’d give it a go on my hands first..hehe… but one thing’s for sure, I am not putting any animal’s placenta on my skin!

nurell May 9, 2011 at 1:05 am

I bought one from korea 2 weeks ago which I didn’t know it contains mucin until I read the box just now! I tried it anyway and didn’t mind as long as it can rejuvenate my skin.. The brand is from dr mj which is among the popular brand… They said to use it only for 2 mths a year and I shall wait till the time though to see the effect…

nicky May 9, 2011 at 4:12 pm

i’m using Elicina, too early to tell if its actually doing me any good. i use it twice a day as recommended for my acne and scar.

in246hi2000 October 31, 2011 at 8:06 am

i’m thinking to buy Elicina too, anyone can give a review? does it deliver what it claims?

Angel May 10, 2011 at 12:28 am

Hi’ may I know whether the Tony n Molly snail cream is available in Singapore ? Thank you.