A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

in BB Cream,Blush,Cleanser,Mascara,Mask,Scrubs,Shopping,Travel

Haha… I just know that there are some of you waiting for this post icon smile A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul Truth be told, I did not buy very much, relatively speaking icon smile A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul I did stumble on a sale going on at Lotte Department store where I picked up some very lovely winter jackets (down filled!) at 50,000 Won (about RM140 each!) so I’m dying to go on a winter holiday next LOL Otherwise, I wasn’t quite into buying clothes, shoes or accessories.

masks A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

What I did return with a lot of, was face sheet masks. Everyone who has ever raved about how incredibly cheap face masks are in Korea were not wrong. I picked up different masks from the different Korean brands – Skin Food, TheFaceShop, ElishaCoy, Baviphat… just to name a few. The masks are usually sold in packs of 10 or 20 and I got them for between 10,000-20,000 won (RM14-28) a pack. This was a shared pack, and I took out quite a few for gifts and suchlike. Should have picked up more icon razz A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

Other than that, who leaves Korea without picking up BB Creams? They are everywhere, from the cheapest to the most expensive of brands.

bb cream A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

L-R: Holika Holika Peach Girl BB Cream, Elisha Coy Always Nuddy BB24, Elisha Coy Time Capsure BB, Elisha Coy Diamond Shiny Pearl BB, Bobbi Brown BB Cream, Skin Food Platinum Grape Cell Essential BB Cream

Well, perhaps I cheated a little. One of them isn’t Korean and was actually picked up at KLIA – the Bobbi Brown BB Cream which I actually thought was not bad. I was actually at quite a loss when I stepped into the various stores and was totally overwhelmed. There is just so much choice available for everything, even if every brand started to look alike after a spell. They all seem to sell the same thing – just in different packaging icon razz A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

elishacoy2 A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

I also picked up some products from ElishaCoy – BB All in one Cleanser, Milk Cacao Black Sugar Scrub and Cacao Green Tea Age Fitness mask.

elishacoy A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

I loved the smell of the cocoa in the mask and scrub which was instrumental in my picking them up. The reason you see so many ElishaCoy products is because I stumbled on a Beauty and Cosmetics Expo at Coex mall so I went in to browse. ElishaCoy had a booth there and all their products were 50% off! The BB creams you see were 1,000 won each only (RM2.80) so I figured they were worth a shot icon razz A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul I can’t remember how much the rest cost but they weren’t expensive.

In terms of colour cosmetics, these were all I got.

holika etude A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

L-R: Holika Holika Magic Pole mascara, Etude House Miss Tangerine Sweet Shower Lips and Etude House Miss Tangerine Cream Choux Blusher

I did tell you I was overwhelmed icon razz A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

I have a couple more bits and bobs – a herbal shower gel from Tony Moly that makes you smell like bak kut teh (herbal soup) and that ubiquitious Tony Moly snail cream.

snail cream A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

And everyone who has ever raved about the generosity of Korean cosmetics houses with samples weren’t kidding either. Here’s all the samples I accumulated (this is the shared loot and not all are mine)

samples A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

Most of the boxes of cotton pads and face masks were given out as an enticement for you to enter the store. Competition is very great amongst the Korean beauty brands hence the need for enticement. You aren’t obliged to buy anything, but if you want the sample, you have to at least step into the store and browse. If you don’t they take it back! The rest of the sample packs were tossed in at the counters when you make your purchase. The more you buy, the more and better samples you get. But you almost always at least end up with 2-3 sachets of skincare samples for making a purchase.

And lastly, on the flight home, I picked up this item from Chanel – Les Roses Natural Finish Face Highlight and Blush. It said in the duty free magazine that it was a flight exclusive which means you can only purchase it on board the aircraft.

chanel A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

Chanel Les Tendres de Chanel Natural Finish Face highlighter and blush – Les Roses

I was taken by it, and I think it’d make a very pretty blush icon smile A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

And that’s it! Reviews will naturally come as I start digging through the products, but if you have something you want an earlier heads up on, do let me know and I’ll try to oblige icon smile A Korean Haul to soothe the shopping Seoul

S May 11, 2011 at 8:40 am

*drools at the sight of all those glorious face masks and BB creams*

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:39 am

*Hands S a bib*

Andrea May 11, 2011 at 8:45 am

Ooo!!!…really wanna know ur opinion on the Tonymoly snail cream… n really do like their concept of giving many samples n freebies..think we should have more of that here..hehe..once again..i’m jealous..i really need to plan a trip there for next yr!

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:40 am

It’ll take me a little while to get to the snail cream but I’ll try to get some thoughts out as quickly as I can :) They are generally generous with their samples but then it could just be because its “local” while our local distributors have to “import” it and thus have a ration on samples ;)

shuaddict May 11, 2011 at 8:46 am

Review the Chanel blush soon, please! It’s gorgeous.

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:40 am

Righty ho! I’m dying to dig into that one too :)

CS May 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I would love to know how this blush does as I’m flying this Friday and am planning to buy some duty free cosmetics.

ParisB May 12, 2011 at 5:20 pm

The blush is very pretty :) I can’t make it for a review before Friday, but I will say that it applies a very light pink and is very sheer.

LeGeeque May 11, 2011 at 8:46 am

Chanel blush <3

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:41 am

Yay me too! <3 :D

cat May 11, 2011 at 8:47 am

a friend is going to Korea next week. I wanted her to help me get BB cream but not sure what will be good. If you can only buy 1 which will you buy and why? i have combination skin. Thanks for help :)

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:44 am

Gosh, I think I’m the wrong person to ask about this one :P I don’t generally use BB Creams (only bought these because Kathi of Lotuspalace raved about the Holika Holika one and because I was picking up the Skinfood one for another friend. The Elishacoy were too cheap to pass up) and when I do, I prefer those from the Western brands because they are lighter in texture. That said, I have tried the Skinfood one a few times, and I thought it was alright provided you use very very little. But then, it won’t offer a lot of coverage. If you use too much it gets oily. I do quite like the Bobbi Brown BB Cream which is lighter in texture and offers decent coverage, but it isn’t Korean – only available at Duty free for now. Sorry I’m not much help. BB Creams just aren’t my forte :P

domncroxd May 11, 2011 at 9:03 am

*droolllllllllllllll* looking forward to the reviews especially the bobbi brown BB!

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:44 am

I do like that one! If that’s any consolation :P

Hanny May 11, 2011 at 9:06 am

OOOO!!!! 6 BB Creams!!

I likey! Especially the Chanel blush!! GAH!!!

I’m salivating right now… I’m in shopping rehab, woman!

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:45 am

Haha from 0 to 6 BB creams. Not bad eh? :P

Nikki May 11, 2011 at 9:17 am

Wow so many masks and I agree with you, you have to get in the store or they won’t give you samples! So funny! I actually preferred the cotton pads! hahahah I had loads to bring home by removing them out of the box and transferred into a zip lock! I’m good at saving space hahah

BTW, can’t wait for your BB cream reviews, you bought quite a number! (considering the fact that you’re overwhelmed) :P

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:46 am

I liked the cotton pads too! I purposely went to a few just to pick up the cotton pads LOL! Yeah I did pick up quite a few BB Creams eh? But considering how cheap 3 of them were, you would have too! ;)

Nyze ?? Crazee May 11, 2011 at 9:21 am

oh my~
i can’t wait for the reviews.
*drooling*

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:46 am

Should be coming up soon :)

shannen May 11, 2011 at 9:25 am

ah.. i miss shopping in Korea. I was there many yrs ago, when all the Korean brands were not here yet. I bought so many nail polish and they were so cheap.. I don’t buy them here :p. And the freebies… ah… I love it that they give more to tourists :)

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:47 am

Are they more generous to tourists? I didn’t notice… but it might be because almost everyone in the store was a tourist LOL! But I did notice that if we bought a lot, and asked for extra samples or a mask, they’d oblige which I thought was nice.

shannen May 11, 2011 at 12:43 pm

those days I went, i noticed, yes. Cos I saw some local girls seems like asking for more samples, but the SA shakes her head.
And 1 time I saw this cute little flower small mirror (the Missha flower) with strap at the counter and I was playing around with it. The cashier then just drop it into my bag. Am not sure if it is free gift at all. :)

ParisB May 12, 2011 at 5:16 pm

That was very nice of the SA – it was probably a gift with purchase anyway ;)

sylvia May 11, 2011 at 9:26 am

You actually make me wanna go to Korea, for a shopping spree! =)

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:47 am

Only if you love Korean cosmetics dearie :) Or maybe Korean fashion too! ;)

Cynthia May 11, 2011 at 9:35 am

Wow!! Samples over-load…Now I wanna go Korea and haul more!!

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:48 am

Hope you get there soon! ;)

Nellz May 11, 2011 at 9:52 am

Lol, they take the freebies back if we dont enter the store? Awkward…. :)

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:49 am

Yep! I didn’t know that the first time. Walked past a Tony Moly store and this man stuffed a mask into my hand and jabbered to me in Korean which I did not understand. As I was looking for coffee, I just smiled at him and walked past and he came after me to take the mask back!

AnT May 11, 2011 at 10:12 am

Wow Paris! Is that Honey Sleeping Pack edible? :P

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 10:50 am

Haha… No :P I gave 2 tubs to some girls in my office and were careful to tell them that it is NOT edible – they thought it was and I didn’t want them poisoned :P It does smell like honey though.

AnT May 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm

LOL :D That is so sweet of you :P

Anyways, I am going there end of this month too. Can you remember which restaurant you went for the lovely bibimbap you had in Seoul? :D

ParisB May 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Hmm let me see if I can get the pics up on the food blog :P it was in one of the streets in Myeongdong, upstairs. There was a banner downstairs showing pics of the food – bibimbap with grilled pork was 5000 Won. The cheapest I saw.

AnT May 13, 2011 at 10:24 am

Thanks dearie :)
Bibimbap with grilled pork, yummy~! :D

AnT May 26, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Hiya Paris! Greetings from Coffee Bene, Seoul :P

I have tried the Bibimbap with grilled pork at the place you recommended. It’s not 5000 won anymore :( It’s 6000 won now though. Will send you some photos when I get back :)

Thanks again dearie :D

ParisB May 28, 2011 at 1:27 am

Gosh! They inflated the price that quickly? It’s only been under a month!

beetrice May 11, 2011 at 11:34 am

gosh that’s a huge lot of masks! :D will definitely have to make a trip to Korea one of these days…soon soon!

PS: are those FEATHERS of some sort I spy in the top right corner of the samples pic? :O

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Haha yes! They are purple feather pens given out by Holika Holika. Right up your alley eh? ;)

xin May 11, 2011 at 11:56 am

got my loot? :D

ParisB May 11, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Yes i did :) I wasn’t sure if you wanted that many neck masks (they weren’t very cheap) so I didn’t get too many. Pass to you when I see you next

Issa May 11, 2011 at 3:50 pm

wow, that is indeed a lot of masks! and they really are generous of samples! i wish it was like that here too! looking forward to your reviews!

ParisB May 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I wish it was like that too here! LOL I’ll try to come up with some reviews soon :)

Jytan May 11, 2011 at 5:05 pm

OH!!! love love!!! ?~

alene May 11, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Pawis!!! u bought the cacao scrub i recommended ages ago!! whee

ParisB May 12, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Hurrah! I knew there was something I had to pick up from Elishacoy, thanks to your raves, but I couldn’t remember what! Thank goodness I got it right ;)

Tine May 11, 2011 at 8:38 pm

RM2.80 for a BB cream? That’s the price of a lolly here! No wait, lollies are even more expensive!
I don’t think it would be wise for me to go to Korea then. I might end up buying the whole shop :P

ParisB May 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I couldn’t get a bowl of noodles with RM2.80! But that was only because it was at the expo :) I don’t know how much they sell otherwise but in general, prices of Korean cosmetics are pretty affordable. Definitely damaging on the wallet.

yuki May 11, 2011 at 10:14 pm

love love love!! I came back with more samples than my purchases! They’re so generous with their samples right right???

One reason why I love Korea~~
That’s a HUGE haul!! I want the BB Creams!! hahaha…

ParisB May 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Yup! Very very generous with samples and their enticements too haha…

Luna May 12, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I think I got enough samples to put together a whole skincare routine for a couple of months.. lol..

I very almost got the Chanel too! But I was on my flight home and my wallet was feeling much too light by then.. Kinda regret it now cuz it’s really pretty =)

ParisB May 12, 2011 at 5:37 pm

For some reason I ended up with quite a few BB Cream samples. I think I’ll just give the samples away to some friends :) And I’ve been wearing the Chanel blush for 2 days now and I really really love it! :D

jen May 12, 2011 at 7:51 pm

may i know how much is the bobbi brown bb cream? you should try innifree in korea, its one of the “better quality” skincare brand

ParisB May 13, 2011 at 9:32 am

The Bobbi Brown BB cream is RM126 at KLIA. I was just overwhelmed by the choices so didn’t end up buying too many things (plus had no time to do research before going! But now I know, I’ll be sure to keep it in mind… in case I go again ;) )

janis seet May 12, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Im jealous of your haul!!! im super curious about he herbal shower/bath gel :D

ParisB May 13, 2011 at 9:33 am

Ahhh…. I really liked that one! I smell of bak kut teh as I sleep! LOL Coming right up!

milktea May 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Magic Pole mascara! What a name! Makes the mind think of… ;-)

More innocently, look forward to the Tangerine choux blush. Makes me think of Papa Beard cream choux. :-)

ParisB May 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Oh darn! Now you are making me think unwarranted thoughts :P