Tip: Very Easy Eyeshadow Application with 3 brushes and 1 palette

in Eyeshadow,Tips

I’ve had a few emails asking me about my eyeshadow application. Now, I’d be the first to admit that my eyeshadow application skills are about as basic as you get, so it was quite gratifying to get inquiries.

I thought I’d just post up how I usually apply my eyeshadow daily. In the image I call this an easy smokey eye look because this is a look I do nearly everyday. I’ve found that it helps elongate my eyes and makes them appear larger than they really are. Which is very useful because research shows that women with larger looking eyes appear more attractive *snort* icon biggrin Tip: Very Easy Eyeshadow Application with 3 brushes and 1 palette

smokey eye2 Tip: Very Easy Eyeshadow Application with 3 brushes and 1 palette

For this purpose, I am using the new L’Oreal Open Eyes Pro eyeshadow palette. I find this very useful for those learning how to use eyeshadow because the gradational colours and shape of the palette help show you just where your eyeshadow should go.

lorea open eyes pro Tip: Very Easy Eyeshadow Application with 3 brushes and 1 palette

Although it looks very shimmery in the pan, I personally do not find it quite as shimmery to be over-done. The most shimmery colour is the white and the small bit of light gray which is almost glittery, so I don’t use that much. The black and dark grey aren’t overly glittery or shimmery on the skin.

So for anyone who has been asking, here’s how I usually apply my eyeshadow. Don’t expect anything dramatic like all the beautiful looks done by Connie or Nikki. I am almost embarrassed to have this up, except it will satisfy the curiosity of many and perhaps make it easier for me to have a post to link queries to icon razz Tip: Very Easy Eyeshadow Application with 3 brushes and 1 palette

I used to use my fingers to do my eye makeup and I’m still going to tell you that in a pinch, they work well, provided you know just which fingers to use and where to place the colour and not to blend too hard. But ever since I got back to using eyeshadow brushes, nothing quites beat the blending that brushes can give you.

smokey eye Tip: Very Easy Eyeshadow Application with 3 brushes and 1 palette

1. Start with eyelid primer if you use it, or need it. I don’t use it often.
  2. Using the crease brush dab the darkest colour on the outer part of your eyelid and on your lash line. Don’t worry if it looks stark.
  3. Using the middle brush dab and apply the medium or lid shade on your lids, blending with the dark colour.
  4. Using the fluffy all over eye brush take some light/shimmer shade and apply on the inner corners and on your brow bone area and blend away harsh edges. Touch up with the darker shade if you prefer it to be more prominent.

Apply eyeliner, mascara and you’re done! icon smile Tip: Very Easy Eyeshadow Application with 3 brushes and 1 palette

I’m not saying this is the best way to apply eyeshadow, but it works for me and my eye shape. If you have the same eye shape I do, it might just work for you too icon smile Tip: Very Easy Eyeshadow Application with 3 brushes and 1 palette

Hanny
November 24, 2010 at 9:17 am

My formula of applying eyeshadow is somewhat like Temptalia’s (Christine). Inner half and outer half with both sides of a flat eyeshadow brush, blend with MAC 217 without color. Place crease color with MAC 217, and highlight/ lower lash line with a pencil brush. ^.^
Hanny recently blogged…FOTD- Fall Greens and GoldsMy Profile

ParisB November 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I used to do that inner half outer half technique too till I learnt along the way that it made my eyes look smaller than it should LOL I guess different eye makeup works differently for different eye shapes

Vonvon November 24, 2010 at 9:32 am

Very simple, practical and wearable way of applying eyeshadows!
Vonvon recently blogged…Surprise! A Mini Botani Giveaway From Nature In A BoxMy Profile

ParisB November 24, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Thanks :) It certainly is very simple LOL!

Nikki November 24, 2010 at 10:14 am

I like the way you’ve done yours! I’ve done this too on some days! :) I like the gradation effect! :) I think I have a similar palette from L’Oreal! :) Haven’t open it yet, I want to give it a try now! :)

ParisB November 24, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Yay! :D I do this with all eyeshadow I apply, whether gradational or not – I guess I’m one tracked that way ;)

Melissa November 24, 2010 at 10:43 am

Thanks for posting this up! I always have problem applying eyeshadow because I’ll look like I just get bashed or something so I usually just settle with eyeliner & mascara :P

ParisB November 24, 2010 at 2:36 pm

It comes with a lot of practice. Try it – I hope it helps you :)

Jennifer November 24, 2010 at 10:49 am

thanks for sharing your tips! i’m an amateur in using e/s so this is very helpful!
Jennifer recently blogged…Bloggers Meetup with Michelle from Cosmetic Cupcake tiny loot!My Profile

ParisB November 24, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Thank you! I’m hardly a professional and I hope this helps you too!

Mei Ping November 24, 2010 at 11:00 am

Thanks for this post. You make it seem so easy and even with the dark colours, it looks really natural. Will follow your step by step method.

ParisB November 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm

It really is easy :D Just be careful where you put the colours – you can afford to put lots of dark colour near the lashline if you have a fold in your lid like mine because by the time I open my eyes, it can’t be seen anymore LOL!

Cece November 24, 2010 at 11:33 am

You have beautiful eyes. Mine are sepet. I want to make them appear bigger than they look.

ParisB November 24, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Thanks! I found that if I apply more dark colours close to the lashline and winged out on the outer corner, it actually makes my eyes look bigger and longer. Also, using eyeliner and mascara helps open up the eyes. Try it! ;)

Denise
November 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Pretty! I try to put eyeshadow in a similar manner, but without the nice shimmer shade you have on. I use the same “pattern” for my night eye make-up, but with louder colors!
Denise recently blogged…Sunday LootMy Profile

ParisB November 24, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Thanks! Try using a light shimmer shade as an all over blend. I find it helps open up the eyes :) I do the same thing every morning with all colours LOL And for the night, its the same, just darker :D

Denise
November 25, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Yay, a new reason to get new make-up! The shimmer shades I have in my arsenal are too dark for the inner corners :) Thank you!

Jo November 24, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Great tip! Nice. :) Can you also show us how you apply eyeliner? Thanks!

ParisB November 24, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Hmm… I’ll try (I dislike taking “tutorial” pictures coz they rarely turn out well :P ) but if you want to see how I apply gel eyeliner I wrote an early post here :)

DoryMY November 24, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Hi, Just curious how come you didn’t use your NARS brush? How was it?

ParisB November 24, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I found it more useful for lining or smudging liner. Its not quite a crease brush for applying eyeshadow in the crease – at least not the way I use it. Review will come soon. Too much backlog :)

Fa November 25, 2010 at 4:49 pm

OMG love it! gonna try it later! :D