Can you use 2 different serums at the same time?

in Discussions

I’ve been wondering about this, and I think someone asked me about it once. Can we use 2 different serums on our skin at the same time?

two serums Can you use 2 different serums at the same time?

Well, my honest answer is “I don’t know” but I do. Sometimes.

I have been using 2 different serums on my skin for a while now to  address 2 different concerns and thus far, it works for me icon biggrin Can you use 2 different serums at the same time?

The first serum I usually use is a whitening serum or essence for my dark spots and to even out skin tone.

The second will usually be a moisturizing or anti aging serum.

Thus far *touch wood* nothing drastic has happened and it seems to work just fine for me. Of course, I don’t slap it all on at one go. I usually try it only after I’m very sure that neither serum breaks me out to start with. Then, I have a 2 week observation period when I use them together. If nothing happens i.e. breakouts, then I consider it a success.

The serums that play well for me thus far are:-

Based on something I read once somewhere (darn these failing brain cells) the one you put first on your skin will deliver the best benefit. So because I’m vain that way, I put the whitening essences first because I want to reap the most benefit out of that one. Then, I follow up with a hydrating or anti-aging serum because I haven’t quite seen the ravages of time hit very badly… yet icon wink Can you use 2 different serums at the same time?

So, that’s me. This is of course a non clinical point of view since I’m no dermatologist. It just works for me.

Have you done anything like this? Do you only use one serum at any one time or do you mix them up as I do? icon smile Can you use 2 different serums at the same time?

SzeLing October 19, 2010 at 9:17 am

I use 2 serums together as well. =)

Clinique Laserfocus (was trying out a deluxe sample) then follow by Estee Lauder Hydrationist serum. I can see good results from both serum. So I guess it’s ok (?). =P

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 10:23 am

haha same here! So long as I don’t break out and my skin looks alright, I stick with it :D

Jess October 19, 2010 at 9:21 am

me being kiasu also put two.. so far so good :D
Jess recently blogged…Perricone MD Debuts the New Cold Plasma Eye at TANGS &amp sample to be redeemedMy Profile

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 10:23 am

Same here!

Nail Galore October 19, 2010 at 9:24 am

Well, i dont think there is any prob with that. However based on my pharmaceutical experience in school last time, its the best if you put the watery ones (ie hydration stuff maybe?) before the creamy ones as it open the pores. Thats y its usually best to apply serum, lotion etc after bath as the pores are open, the same goes with hydrating creams etc. Just my 2 cents worth of experience:-)
Nail Galore recently blogged…WEAR GREEN FOR DEPRESSION AWARENESS MONTHMy Profile

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 10:25 am

Thanks for the insight! :D I never thought about that light texture first thing although what happens if both textures are fairly light? What about the theory that the first on the skin has better effect as opposed to the 2nd? Hmm…

Yet Ling October 19, 2010 at 9:30 am

I use two serum at the same time as well. According to a BA, she said that it has to depend on the texture of serum before applying any two of them. The serum with watery texture will be applied first.

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 10:25 am

Thanks for that insight too. How come no one tells me these things? LOL!

Tine
October 19, 2010 at 9:31 am

Ahh my question exactly! I have several serums, but don’t really know their efficacy if used at one go. Clinique Aus tweeted me and said to layer the thinner serum first, then the thicker one. I think it might be better if I just use one at a time. So I alternate. One night serum A, the next serum B.

So far so good … I think.
Tine recently blogged…Antipodes Avocado Pear Nourishing Night CreamMy Profile

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 10:26 am

Ahh… another light then heavy serum layering technique. Perhaps there’s truth in that after all :) I alternate too, but morning and night. I like using a serum continuously because I think it has a better effect on my skin – for the whitening stuff anyway :)

plue
October 19, 2010 at 9:33 am

i also put on 2 serums at 1 go… usually 1 is oil control another is whitening.

and darn… i always get so confused with putting which one first is better, i ended up using them both separately at night!

shud the vichy pore refining goes on first before the whitening one? or the other way round? :(
plue recently blogged…Blushing Monday- Bourjois Blush in 33 Lilas D’OrMy Profile

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 10:27 am

Erm… Don’t know :P I’d have gone with whitening then pore refining because of the theory that the first thing to go on the skin works more efficiently although by now I might be absolutely wrong!

Indulgent Diva October 19, 2010 at 9:34 am

I normally use only one at a time and rotate round my collection of serums for various purposes. However, I think you’re meant to layer the lightest consistency first then put on the thicker one later. Putting them together definitely is not a problem. Whatever works, right? :)

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 10:27 am

Yep! Whichever works indeed! :D

domncroxd
October 19, 2010 at 10:09 am

I use 2 as well! But more like one in the morning and one at night. Currently using The Body Shop’s Vit C Skin Boost in the morning and Estee’s ANR at night :)
domncroxd recently blogged…Review- Bobbi Brown’s Shimmer Brick Compact in NectarMy Profile

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 10:28 am

teehee… I do the morning and night thing too! Coz some serums are just mainly for night. Enjoying the Estee Lauder ANR? :D

domncroxd
October 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Ooh yes…it’s my HG serum. Can’t live without it. Am finally finishing my huge 75ml bottle and excitedly waiting to open up my monster 100ml one *hearts*

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Awesome! :D I like it too but am rather torn between ANR and Midnight Concentrate :P

Hanny
October 19, 2010 at 10:40 am

OOOO… Didn’t know that. Don’t use serums either.
Hanny recently blogged…Mini Review- Cetaphil Gentle Skin CleanserMy Profile

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Then you probably don’t need it ;)

shusheshe
October 19, 2010 at 10:56 am

I’ve been using two different serums for ages now. Estee Lauder’s pore minimizer first, then after that a hydrating serum from body shop~ It’s been working well for me so far!

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Awesome to know! I had been doing it for ages too! :D

Nikki October 19, 2010 at 11:13 am

I haven’t really tried it but I don’t mind! As long as the 2 serums has almost the same functions? probably? :)

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Hmm… I actually use 2 different functioning serums trying to “shortcut” matters hehe

Apple October 19, 2010 at 11:15 am

for 2 serum in different brand, i will apply on different part.If same brand, then may be mix up.

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 5:50 pm

That sorta makes sense too :)

pinkcloud October 19, 2010 at 11:42 am

I dont use two serums together but if i do i will start with the hydrating 1 first because if u provide ur skin with better hydration it will absorb things faster! :D

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Hmm… and that makes sense! I actually just slap it on any old how most times depending on which I reach for first :)

yin October 19, 2010 at 11:42 am

should be ok, i use 3 serums but not 3 of them in 1time.
day: serum for skintone balancing + serum for blackhead/whitehead at T-zone & chin
night: serum for dry skin + serum for blackhead/whitehead at T-zone & chin

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm

hehe I do that too! Multiple serums for day and night. But usually in the day I only use one because it feels too heavy to use two

Elle Linda October 19, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I’ve just started using 2 serums; one in the morning and the other one before goin’ to bed@nightime…Both by Murad Skincare…the first one is for hydrating, known as perfecting serum (how perfect, dont ask me…wait and see later…hahaha) and the latter one is for dark spots (enriched with Vit.C – to reduce pigmentation/dark/age spots)…The beauty consultant told me that it’s okay to use two serums but preferably, at different time i.e. am & pm…

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Hey so long as it works for you, that’s great :D No need to go all kiasu as I do ;)

Jean October 19, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I went to some workshop they said yes we can use 2 different serum (even different brand) at one time. but first we must go through the sensitive test (of cause) before that… also, wait one serum to be absorbed before applying the next one..
Jean recently blogged…101010 Nike KL RunMy Profile

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Hmm… I guess I do wait for it to be absorbed first before applying my second. It makes sense. Can’t rush these things eh?

tass October 19, 2010 at 3:04 pm

wah.. really two diff serums can be used at one time?
This is good, coz i want a brighter skin but also needs to fight the wrinkles ;>

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Most of the girls here seem to think its alright. Perhaps give it a shot if you’d like to but don’t forget to test for reactions first!

rinnah
October 19, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Hmm… never thought of this before… since I find that even a normal serum + moisturizer combination feels ‘heavy’ on my skin… :(
rinnah recently blogged…Pantene Recharging Fluid Pro-V FormulaMy Profile

ParisB October 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Perhaps its because you don’t need it ;) I have a multitude of problems to address hence the multiple serums :P

sarynkay October 19, 2010 at 7:56 pm

From my understanding, I think that you can use 2 serums in one go but you have to use the one that needs deeper penetration first. So I think using the whitening one first as the freckles and dark spots starts from deep within whereas the hydration one is higher up on the surface. =)
sarynkay recently blogged…Post DelayMy Profile

ParisB October 20, 2010 at 10:16 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :D

Julia October 19, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I’m happy if one serum doesn’t break me out.
But as you say, do whatever works for you!
Julia recently blogged…CosmenetMy Profile

ParisB October 20, 2010 at 10:17 am

Yep! We aren’t all made the same way :)

Shay October 19, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Yes, I use the cellnique sebum gel first. Then follow by whitening serum.

ParisB October 20, 2010 at 10:19 am

Nice! So many of us are using 2 serums :D

mitzy October 20, 2010 at 10:12 am

hi, i’m a 15 year old asian girl, could u recommend me some good anti aging products to use? thanks!

ParisB October 20, 2010 at 10:22 am

15 is too young to be using anti aging products. Wait another 10 years.

Seline October 21, 2010 at 11:39 pm

What about sunscreen and serum, which one goes on first? I always read conflicting theories as to which one to be applied onto the skin first. Read somewhere that the first product you apply onto your face after being cleansed will have the most impact on your skin. Protecting the skin from further damage (UV rays) should be the main concern, so sunscreen first. Yet some say apply sunscreen after serum and moisturizer. What about you, Paris?

ParisB October 22, 2010 at 12:21 am

I apply sunscreen last because if there’s physical blockers in it its the first line of defence. Also because i was always told to do so.

Rowena October 22, 2010 at 3:02 am

Ah – I want to do this because I have so much new skincare to play with but I don’t know what pair together.

I tried recently to pair Rodial night serum with Chanel Sublimage – mistake! My skin peeled like crazy. Yet when I use them alone, they’re ok.

So now I’m a bit scared what to use together next…

ParisB October 22, 2010 at 11:38 am

Gosh! That was a bad reaction! Glad you managed to isolate the cause.

Reni December 17, 2010 at 9:53 am

MY DERMATOLOGIST told me there’s no problem layering serums because they are meant to be absorved very quickly and sink in the skin. For this reason you can layer serums with success. The watery first and then the creamy one after more or less 5 min. What is not advised is to layer creams and moisturizers because they are meant to stay on the top of the skin for a while… if you layer 2 moisturizers you are just rubbing each other off, mixing the two and having TOO much creams on the skin… results: breakouts!