Should you sleep with your bra on or off?

in Discussions

bra off Should you sleep with your bra on or off?

Question for you: Do you sleep with your bra on or off?

Another question: Does it matter?

According to experts, leaving off your bra at night when you go to bed gives your breasts some much needed freedom from the confines of your bra. The bra as we all know is only a slight modification from a corset and what it does is confine and hold your breasts in place. So, it is supposedly healthier to take it off once in a while to allow circulation and what better time than sleep time.

However, if you have large breasts then the converse is true. You are advised to wear a light bra to sleep so your breasts don’t loose their shape. Its a bit of a conundrum isn’t it?

At the risk of being TMI (Too Much Information) I prefer to sleep without my bra on. I just feel more comfortable that way.

If you do plan to sleep with your bra on, try using a sports bra or a light unwired, unpadded bra. Its more comfortable and your bra will not go out of shape as you toss and turn in bed.

Are you going to share if you sleep with or without a bra? icon wink Should you sleep with your bra on or off?

Cece January 19, 2010 at 9:08 am

i sleep without a bra and sports bra are really comfortable :)
i wear it once in a while.

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:43 am

I wear mine for exercise and travel but getting a good sports bra that fits well and doesn’t try to smother you can be a hassle too!

Hanny January 19, 2010 at 9:14 am

I sleep without my bra on, haha. Heck, I don’t have my bra on at home, because my breasts have acute eczema where the gals are… Wuwu. Only when I’m out of the house do I wear one, haha

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:44 am

ooh thats tough having eczema right there!

Connie January 19, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I feel your pain! I used to have eczema right under the boobies (the folds). Naturally, I was braless whenever I can because having something in the way would hurt too much

rinnah January 19, 2010 at 9:59 am

Wow, a potentially explosive topic, PB! :P

At the risk of TMI, I prefer to sleep without, but am equally comfortable sleeping with as well… :D

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:45 am

Ever since I went without, I don’t think I can go back :P

Joyce Loh January 19, 2010 at 10:20 am

me… i prefer to sleep without it.. i cant really sleep with it. it feels weird and i feel its bad for “them” too…but i do have a fren that wears it all her life when she sleeps.. it keeps her more secure.. no offense to anyone. just my 2 cents.

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:45 am

No offence at all I’m sure! We’re here to have a frank discussion anyway – whatever keeps you comfy! :D

saitoyf January 19, 2010 at 10:23 am

I don’t have big Breast so I always sleep without bra. :) And I also have the habit to sleep without anything on, feels more relax!

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:46 am

Ooh nothing on! I can’t quite sleep in the altogether yet :P

prettybeautiful January 19, 2010 at 10:24 am

hey for a moment i thought it was u in the pict! :P

i too sleep without a bra on. i wish we could go braless everyday even in the day time or at work. LOL

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:47 am

Haha… I’m not that brave to take that sort of picture lah… :P

shaynaJo January 19, 2010 at 10:43 am

i sleep without my bra on. I cant sleep comfortably with it on.
Actually, once I got home from work everyday, I take off my bra immediately too. I do think our lovely breasts need to breathe. hahahha.

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:48 am

Yes yes! I’m all for circulation :) Bras can be so constricting

Tine January 19, 2010 at 10:46 am

I definitely sleep without one on. Already confined all day, those babies need a rest at night ;)

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:48 am

Yup! Especially when I’m a restless sleeper :P

Michelle January 19, 2010 at 10:57 am

Definitely without. Seems like most all of us gals prefer the freedom sans bra, sleep or awake! I can’t agree more. Without it I can almost hear Andy Williams’ singing in the background…. “born free…… as free as the wind blowsssssss……!” hehe

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:49 am

Haha… so true! The only thing that will stop us from going bra less all the time is gravity taking its toll :P

fer January 19, 2010 at 11:03 am

i’d usually sleep without a bra..but ever since i got pregnant my breasts feel quite sore and heavy and it’s quite uncomfortable when i sleep, so wearing a sports bra might not be a bad idea..

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:50 am

I find sports bras more comfortable (and offer more support) than regular bras even if its not underwired or padded. Do give it a shot and congrats on your pregnancy!

beetrice January 19, 2010 at 11:15 am

I used to sleep with a bra on when I was younger, but now…sans, cos it really IS a lot more comfy – besides, I barely fall into the “need extra support” category… :p *darn*

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:50 am

I echo your sentiments – darn! :P

Monstro January 19, 2010 at 11:17 am

No bra for me–way too constricting. I also read that wearing a bra to sleep increases your chance of having breast cancer. Not sure if it’s true.
I only wore a nursing sleep bra for a few days when I just gave birth because my boobies were leaking! LOL!

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:51 am

LOL at the leaking boobies! I’d read of the breast cancer scare too but I’m not sure if its just a scare like everything else :(

ieda January 19, 2010 at 11:59 am

sleep without. and even if i’m home alone, without is more comfortable. :p

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Haha… I do tend to agree :P

Reese January 19, 2010 at 12:36 pm

must take off my bra to sleep, heck, if there’s no one at home I don’t wear one, much more comfortable for me this way.

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Haha… I must agree with this one!

Eli January 19, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I hate bras so I don’t wear them at home or while sleeping. Which kinda makes for funny, awkward situations like the time I was dragged straight from a nap to a family dinner and was too sleepy to remember that I was braless.

Re gravitational pull on breasts, a friend said that her granny’s breasts were so long, she had to sling them over her shoulders ala hantu tetek style to keep them out of the way while cooking. All of our jaws dropped.

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 4:21 pm

You are kidding! Right? About slinging breasts over her shoulders?! o_O

lazeny January 19, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I normally don’t wear a bra when I sleep because it’s very constricting. I have, on occasion sleep while in my birthday suit, it feels liberating. .I never realized that it’s actually more beneficial to sleep w/ a bra on if one has a bigger breasts (I’m a C) – to keep them in place and prevent it from sagging. `

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Yep bigger breasts are heavier and thus more susceptible to gravitational pulls :)

lntan January 19, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Hi Pariss,,

interesting post! He he.. So my 2 cents,, I’m both sometimes, but I wont go to bed with the wired bra, if I do have a bra on while sleeping it should be wireless! Ha :)
What do you all think?

:))

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Definitely you want a wireless bra – though not in the wifi sense hehe… You don’t want your wired bra going out of shape nor risk poking yourself in your sleep!

sher88 January 19, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I wear a sports bra to sleep but then I unhook it when I sleep… haha… so I dont’ have to go to the toilet and take it off before I sleep… jump in bed and unhook it… but I heard that if u wear a bra for more than 12 hrs (can’t remember) it increases the chances of getting breast cancer… but then again, we are awake more than 12 hours a day… got that info from The Star btw…

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 4:24 pm

hmm… at the rate we are going, anything will cause cancer! So maybe the few hours we go bra-less at home will help make up for it :)

Jean January 19, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I prefer bra off. But normally I sleep with bra on because I’m in same room with my brother..lol

ParisB January 20, 2010 at 10:48 am

Ah thats a smart move :P

Ms. Blacklace January 19, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I dont wear my bra to sleep nor do i wear it at home. but once a week, i sleep with my training corset on.

ParisB January 20, 2010 at 10:48 am

Whats a training corset? I haven’t come across this :)

Jessica January 19, 2010 at 8:43 pm

for me, the answer’s easy: braless at night (or whenever alone in the confines of me room). I find it easier on the girls coz it’s tough being confined and pushed up. Plus, it’s sexier…;)

ParisB January 20, 2010 at 10:49 am

Haha… thats a good one! ;)

Jyoan January 19, 2010 at 10:26 pm

It’s definitely without bra for me. Can’t even imagine sleeping with bra. So itchy. Even at camps (if it’s a hostel kind with a roommate), I will go without bra.

Claryn January 20, 2010 at 12:19 am

Just like most of the girls, I try not to wear it as much as I can. It’s just plain restricting for me! Definitely a no for me when I sleep, but then again, when I’m in a sleepover or vacations with other people, i usually have it on.

But not bad, I thought I was the only weird one who doesnt wear bra when home alone! :)

Madie February 24, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I always sleep with my bra ON. I can’t stand to go without it even when I’m just around the house and much less when I sleep. I wear a padded bra with under wire to sleep every night. My mom says it’s not healthy and that I need to let the girls breathe but I just can’t stand it if it’s not on. The only time I take it off is when I take a shower.

Cat April 5, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Hello there! I stumbled upon your blog Googling SK II review :)

Love your good work by the way. It’s great to see a Malaysian blogging about makeup as I feel I share more similarities in terms of skin type with you and your lovely lady readers out there.

This was a rather interesting post! :) Definitely bra-less. But what I really want to know is should we ladies be sleeping with our panties ON?

Just in case you wanted to know who your readers are, I am a 34 year old doctor working in Melbourne :)

ParisB April 6, 2010 at 10:49 am

Welcome Cat! Hope to see you around more and its always fun getting to know my readers :D

Comments on this entry are closed.