Hot Mama blush – theBalm brings sexy back

in General

Hot Mama powder blush was a gift from a friend a while ago, before theBalm made its way to our shores. She thought I’d like to try something new and different and she was absolutely right.

thebalm hotmama Hot Mama blush   theBalm brings sexy back

At first glance, I thought “Hmm… Hot Mama looks a lot like Nars Orgasm!” Its got that same peachy pink tone but I swatched them side by side and its not quite as close. Hop on below for the swatches.

On its own Hot Mama is a peach pink powder that is supposed to work as blush, highlighter and eyeshadow. Theoretically it does. In practice, unless you want to look perpetually flushed and erm… looking like you had too much “fun”, I don’t recommend using Hot Mama all over. What it does work well as is a blush and I would say that it could suit most skin colouring.

Personally I feel that its more wearable for the majority than Nars Orgasm because it isn’t as shimmery and the colour is more flattering. I can wear Orgasm but I much prefer most of the dupes I’ve found and I never caught the hype anyway. My Orgasm blush is languishing away in my drawer untouched for many many moons. So, coming back to Hot Mama – how does it look on? Well, swatches are below icon smile Hot Mama blush   theBalm brings sexy back

You might remember me overdoing Hot Mama in a look I did using Guerlain Grace Rouge G lipstick. Yes, Hot Mama is very easy to overdo if you have a heavy hand or if you aren’t careful. If you have darker skin then its not much to worry about. If you have fair skin then you might want to use a light hand and a light touch, building up colour and intensity.

thebalm hotmama2 Hot Mama blush   theBalm brings sexy back

If you are more careful the effect is more subtle. The cover is cute and it comes in a cardboard slip case identical to the cover. I don’t see the point because the case is kept shut with a magnet anyway.

So I know you are wondering this – How does it compare to Nars Orgasm then?

thebalm hotmama3 Hot Mama blush   theBalm brings sexy back

Comparison: Nars Torrid, theBalm Hot Mama, Nars Orgasm blushes

Straight off, side by side with Nars Orgasm and Torrid blushes, Hot Mama is pinker. Its less shimmery than Orgasm but a little more shimmery compared to Torrid.

Hot Mama was the first item I tried from theBalm. Its a nice little brand but it would also be nice if they broke away from the mould of Benefit Cosmetics or Pout (now defunct). Retails in the USA for US$19 and locally at Sasa (so I’m told – I haven’t seen it with my own eyes icon smile Hot Mama blush   theBalm brings sexy back ) but I don’t know the price.

Pros: Nice colour, lasts on my skin,

Cons: Easy to overdo

Have you tried Hot Mama or anything by theBalm? I hear their eyeshadows are getting raves and I was also gifted with Down Boy blush last year which I’ll talk about a little later.

Jenn
January 18, 2010 at 9:32 am

Thanks for the review Paris!! I was smitten by this blush when i saw it at Sasa!! So pretty!! :D

Orgasm didn’t work for me too… :(

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:23 am

Orgasm actually works for me but I must prefer the dupes :D

Joyce Loh January 18, 2010 at 10:33 am

yup.. they sell it at sasa.. but no idea what is the price. but there is this pouch-set that is rm88 (i believe). They are travel kit size with all there famous product. I guess it’s a good kit to start off with.. and totally agree that you can be too much when using theBalm and have to be extra careful..

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:24 am

Thanks for the confirmation Joyce and I’d read of that set before this and it sounds like a great deal!

Monstro January 18, 2010 at 10:36 am

Yay! You finally reviewed it! It looks great on you!!
Hot Mama looks better than the other 2 Nars :-)
I enjoy using it, but definitely only on the cheeks. Who’d use it as an eyeshadow or all over?? LOL!
I heard Hot Mama’s concealer is nice too, but I haven’t tried. Maybe I can check it out at Sasa.

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:24 am

Yay! Thank you for sharing it! :D Its definitely cheek only material for me hehe

shaynaJo January 18, 2010 at 10:55 am

i think i prefer hot mama to Orgasm haha. it has the “washed out” effect that I like when I checked it out in SaSa. Hmm… still thinking if i should get it…

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:25 am

Ironically, yes its got a nicer sheerer effect on the skin as opposed to Orgasm that tends to give you “colour” If its within budget and you don’t have a similar shade, I’d say its a pretty good buy

Jyoan January 18, 2010 at 11:41 am

I like theBalm cosmetics! I can’t help liking cardboard finish cosmetics, such as theBalm and Benefit. LOL. theBalm lip plumper feels really good, it’s very skin friendly. My first item from them is the Read My Lips Lipstick. It has got jojoba oil and Vit E, I think.

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:26 am

That sounds good! I’ll take a look the next time I steel myself to step into Sasa LOL

gio January 18, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Thanks for the review. The blush looks great on you!

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:26 am

Thanks Gio!

Hanny
January 18, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Pretty!!! It looks great on you!!

And as a joke, would you be willing to distribute your NARS Orgasm to the less-endowed masses?

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:39 am

LOL! I would have if the stupid case of the blush did not melt. Its now so horrid and sticky I don’t even want to touch it – hence I don’t use it anymore. I don’t think anyone else would want something so gunky :) Here’s my rant on Nars blush melting cases.

Connie
January 18, 2010 at 8:33 pm

hahaha. I certainly wouldn’t wanna look like I’m having too much “fun”! ;)

I’ve tried it, separately, as a blush and as an eyeshadow — not too bad :) I’m trying to make myself love it a little bit more before I review it! Bought mine from sasa for RM65. Quite a good price right? comes up to be the same price as in the US :D

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:41 am

Ooh thanks for updating the price and yes, its a good price for a decent blush!

Yani January 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm

You’re soo right about how easy it is to overdo it – I did on my first try, and ended up looking like I had “too much fun”!! :D

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:42 am

Ahem! Not something you want the world to know eh? ;)

Nikki January 19, 2010 at 10:49 am

very very pretty!!! I will take a look at it down here, I think we have the brand down here , thanks :)

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 11:49 am

I’d love to hear what you think of it!

Adrianna January 19, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Ohh..long awaited review of Hot Mama! I love this blush but somehow the colour will not show up on me(due to darker complexion) :( so what I do is apply a Nars Orgasm dupe and layer Hot Mama on top and ta-da! nicely flushed cheeks :)

ParisB January 19, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Thats a great tip for darker complexioned girls! Thanks