At the Bodybar media event recently, I was introduced by co-owner Michelle to a homemade lip scrub anyone can easily make at home with ingredients you might already have.
The ingredients mention organic ingredients but Michelle explained to me that you need not use organic ingredients if you don’t want to or have them on hand – its something she prefers to use and which she believes helps with the taste and efficacy but you can use the same (non organic) ingredients easily found in your kitchen really.
Hop on for the easy peasy recipe!
Homemade Lip Scrub (by Michelle, Bodybar)
- 1 part (certified) organic cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil – you could basically use any olive oil without the jazz but the better the olive oil, the fruitier the smell/taste and that’s nice especially if you are making your own skincare
- 2 parts organic raw cane sugar – you can find this in select organic shops. Normal brown sugar will suffice but once again the raw cane sugar does make a difference as it’s packed with trace minerals & nutrients, and tastes better too!
- 1-2 drops of lemon juice – cut this out if you have sensitive lips and no more than 2 drops per tablespoon of sugar
- It’s really important to put the sugar through a reasonably fine sieve for lip scrubs or if using commercial brown sugar, buy the fine grain one.
- Mix up all the ingredients in a clean bowl.
- To use: Use a clean spoon or spatula and scoop out a dollop of lip scrub mixture. Spread between your fingers and apply on lips LIGHTLY rubbing in circular motions. Wipe off with clean tissue or damp face cloth and apply lip balm.
Note: The concoction can be stored up to max 2 weeks but you might want to put a bit more oil to ensure it covers all the sugar and store in a cool dry place and in an airtight glass container – Ikea has some affordable glass bottles that could do the trick.
I tried this lip scrub and it does buff away the rough skin and smoothen the lips. Used regularly, a lip scrub can help keep your lips looking smooth and pink and making it at home just saves you money
Try it or have your own recipe to share?