Tip: Wash your face last after your shower

in Cleanser,Discussions,Skincare,Tips

shower Tip: Wash your face last after your shower

Most of us take a shower in the evening after work and before bed, and this is when we wash our faces for the 2nd time in the day. For those who use makeup, it is also the time you clean off your makeup and allow your skin to breathe.

I have a suggestion for you to try – wash your face last, after or at the end of your shower. I do this and I wonder if anyone else does? icon smile Tip: Wash your face last after your shower

My reason for doing so is because I start off my evening shower by washing my hair. After washing and conditioning, I realise that the hair products will run down my face together with the water. I’m not so hardworking as to lean backwards or to lean forwards to drain the water away from the face to avoid this.

So, washing my face only after I wash my hair i.e. towards the end of my shower makes sense to clean off any residue of shampoo and conditioner that might have gotten on my skin. Its also a way to help counter facial acne caused by shampoo or conditioner. If you have sensitive skin washing your face after washing your hair might be something to try.

I’ve also read that by the end of your shower, if you use warm water, the steam and warm air would have caused your pores to open so it gets cleaner. Personally I don’t know if pores open and shut like windows but its certainly something worth thinking about.

I do however, remove my makeup before getting into the shower. If I’m using a cleansing oil, I do so before I shower then I wash my face again towards the end of my shower. I double cleanse as a habit and as a  matter of preference.

When do you wash your face? Before or after your shower and do you have a reason why you do so? Its an age old question that has no right or wrong answer so share away! icon smile Tip: Wash your face last after your shower

Stay beautiful,

prettybeautiful
September 29, 2009 at 9:06 am

i practiced cleansing face after bathing for some time, now i am back to cleansing face first, then shower. cause i do not want to let the dripping hair wet my floor :P

ParisB September 29, 2009 at 10:02 am

Hi prettybeautiful

Oh I’m still in the shower when I wash my face. Its the last thing I do before I step out ;)

~Reena~ September 29, 2009 at 9:29 am

Like u, i remove my makeup before getting into the shower and wash my face at the end of my shower :)

ParisB September 29, 2009 at 10:02 am

Hi Reena

Snap! :D

plue
September 29, 2009 at 9:46 am

I remove makeup before shower, since I am using cleansing oil :P and after shower only i wash my face again. i think that’s cleaner. somehow if i wash face first before showering, in the end my face feels dirty again?

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Hey Plue

Yep if I’m using cleansing oil it goes on first and I double cleanse at the end. As you said, it just feels cleaner :)

Babybubblz September 29, 2009 at 9:56 am

Remove makeup before getting in the shower. I strangely wash my face while shampoo is still in my hair. Then I rinse my face and shampoo out at the same time. I started doing this because I never left shampoo in long enough, so I distract myself by cleansing. And I’ve done it like this for years out of habit.

I also wonder about opening and closing of pores with water temperature.

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Hi Babybubblz

Ah I don’t keep shampoo in my hair, only conditioner. Shampoo rinses right out. Honestly I think any opening or closing of pores is too subtle to be noticed or to have much effect :)

Jenn
September 29, 2009 at 10:24 am

Yup, i wash my face last… so yeah that means i shower with my makeup on!! It’s a great way to put your mascara / eyeliner to the test! hahaha!! XD

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Hiya Jenn

Oh my! I thought you’d have taken the makeup off first :D

Sylvia September 29, 2009 at 10:47 am

It’s been my habit to wash face first, then shower. It works for me this way, no breakout on my face all this while. For hair conditioner, I am abit wary of it coming into contact on my face and body cuz that will cause breakouts, so I will always lean my head sideway when conditioning my hair.

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Hi Sylvia

If it works for you, stick with it – no right or wrong way to doing things so long as it works!

Lisan September 29, 2009 at 10:48 am

Just like you, clean my face with the cleansing milk first and wash my face again after washing the hair.

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Hi Lisan

Looks like many of us are doing it this way!

JackieA September 29, 2009 at 10:52 am

The first thing I do when I get home is wash my face and change into something comfortable! I take a warm shower just before I go to bed and my habit is to wash my face last…….although sometimes I get so caught up with my thoughts that I forget whether I washed or not!!!! Ewwwwww! Then just in case, I will wash again. I must be getting old la.

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Hiya JackieA

I LOL-ed at your comment! I know what you mean though – if I wash my face too early I get that “did I wash my face” feeling too later in the evening.

Saintangelius September 29, 2009 at 11:09 am

I always start with shampoo then conditioner and then a good scrub down with a poof and body gel. Lastly I would wash my face. Generally i remove makeup before i step into the shower (that’s if i’m wearing any). I have this strange thinking where I feel like my conditioner will get all over me when I wash it out so i need to scrub well with a poof after that. Same goes with my face sans the poof but I do have a facial sponge for the thick makeup days.

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Hi Saintangelius

I don’t use a poof but I guess many of us are showering the same way :)

Jyoan September 29, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I always thought it makes more sense to wash my face last. So my hands just automatically take the cleanser last. lol. I have never consciously thought of this question.

But I cleanse my makeup first, since usage of cleansing oil has to be on dry face. Then I use bath foam, then shampoo/conditioner etc, then facial cleanser. Because I want to put on toner and all the stuff on clean skin, so it makes more sense to cleanse last, dry myself off, then immediately go out to put my toner.

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Hi Jyoan

It looks like its automatic for most of us :D

beetrice September 29, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I usually wash my face at the end of my shower as well, and splash another round of cold water on it just before bed…feels great! :)

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Hey Beetrice

Ah I shall try that cold water trick – I have taken to blasting myself with cold water at the end of my shower – quite invigorating!

Michelle September 29, 2009 at 12:10 pm

I use the same technique! And I tell anyone who’s willing to listen since it’s free to practice it :) I swear by shampoo+conditioner then body wash then face wash. Else I get painful boils all over my back which looks like acne but it’s not. The other thing is switching to certified organic hair care definitely helps whereby I don’t get rash behind my ears no more.

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Hey Michelle

You’re right – its free to try! Ouchies at the boils on the back – glad you’ve found something that helps!

Monstro September 29, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Oh no! I wash my face first! I must be the only fool who doesn’t know this beauty tip–well thank goodness for your post, or I’d be kept in the dark forever!! :-D

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Hey Monstro

No fool dearie – if it works for you, it works for you! :D

zwala September 29, 2009 at 1:56 pm

yeah..i follow that as well..
i even put on any facial mask sometime….and cleanse it off in the end and then wash in the end..
i thought i might be the only one to do in that way.. :P

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Hi Zwala

I haven’t thought about using a mask in the shower – I must give it a shot next time :)

sesame September 29, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I wrote about this before and seems that most responded they wash their face last. However, since writing that entry, I’ve changed a bit – from washing my face while shampoo is on my head and rinising my shampoo first – to cleansing my face first with cream or oil cleanser due to the steam from the shower and then shampoo, before using a foaming cleanser.

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Hi Sesame

It would appear that many people are still washing their face last :) I cleanse my face first too but as I step into the shower, not during – then shampoo, condition and foaming cleanser. I think I’m just particular about the shampoo and conditioner bit, less so the body.

Jamilla Camel September 29, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I’m with you. I exfoliate, wash, rinse the conditioner off, then wash my face!

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Hi Jamilla

Yay! Looks like most of us are doing the same thing, rightly or wrongly ;)

Synaesthesia September 29, 2009 at 4:01 pm

I do double cleansing too… as I’m using cleansing oil so I have to remove my makeups before shower but I’ll do my second facial cleansing step after hair and body shampooed.. It just my habit, nothing related to methods or procedures…

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Hi Synaesthesia

It started out as a habit for me too until I thought about it LOL…

Tine
September 29, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I always wash my face last. If I need to double cleanse, then I’d apply my cleansing oil first before stepping into the shower. When I get into the shower, I’d let the steam work with the oil, then I’d massage the skin and wash it off. Wash everything else, and lastly cleanse the face once more. Done! :)

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Hey Tine

I’d have to try the leave the oil on the face bit for the steam to work on it! Thanks!

eliza September 29, 2009 at 6:47 pm

after reading your experience with tresemme quite some time ago, i started washing my face after shower

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Hi Eliza

Yeah that experience scarred me for life!

LyNn September 29, 2009 at 7:23 pm

just like you
i too cleanse my face last before stepping out of the shower.
here’s my routine
body soap -> cleansing down south -> shampoo -> conditioner -> brush teeth -> cleanse (or double cleanse if i wore make up) face

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Hi Lynn

Same routine! :D But i brush teeth after I get out of the shower :)

Amanda September 29, 2009 at 8:23 pm

That’s what I’m doing… :) I wash my hair first, my body then my face.

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Hi Amanda

Looks like thats in the majority! :)

Irene September 29, 2009 at 10:54 pm

I make it a habit to wash face first coz well, sometimes after stepping out of the showers…I realised that I forgot to wash my face altogether :P. Not good when you’re already out f the door and on the way to class.

I do make the effort to bend back matrix style when rinsing out my shampoo/conditioner tho XD

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Hi Irene

Its easy to forget if you don’t wash your hair but if you do, then washing the face comes quite naturally :) I guess my tip here relates mostly to the evening shower, less so the morning shower. I need to wash my face first thing in the morning to wake up! I can’t bend back though or I’d probably crack my skull or something :P

juan
September 30, 2009 at 12:04 am

i to wash my face last but i have one weird question to which i do hope you could reply. see, i have this paranoia since i have problem/oily/congested skin… we wash our face after our shower, right? but that few hours (say, 8pm-midnight) after cleansing & before going to bed, you would have probably touched your face with your hands, perspired and exposed to dust/dirt. therefore, would it be too harsh for my skin if i washed my face again just before i turn in to bed?

what do you think?

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Hi Juan

Personally, I think the few hours between shower and bed is too short to have a lot of dirt accumulate on our skin. Most of the time, these are the hours when its cooler and we’re at home and less exposed to dust, heat etc. If you feel you need to wash your face before bed, maybe just rinse it with cold water. In the alternative, just rinse your face during the shower and wash it properly just before bed. I personally wouldn’t wash my face again with cleansers so soon after the shower because it might strip the skin. Also, once I shower and do my face, I’m not going to do it all over again! :)

juan
October 1, 2009 at 3:58 pm

great tips. thanks!

Shay September 30, 2009 at 12:22 am

Similar to the people who left comments, I remove makeup first. Then I will wash my hair, bend to the front. But I will wrap my hair up with a towel when I’m done. I heard that its good to prevent acne on the back as the conditioner might cover the back and it would be form a layer on the skin and cause clogged pores. In addition, I want to wash the back of my neck without hair getting in the way.

Subsequently, I will wash my face (2nd cleansing). Then move on to body cleansing.

ParisB September 30, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Hi Shay

Wow you’re hardworking! I condition and rinse off only then do I wash my body and face – I figure that way most of the conditioner is washed away properly :)

Shay September 30, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Yeah. I’m just paranoid. hehe…Saw it in a magazine. The wrapping up of hair with a towel has been a habit for years already. Its also a good thing to keep hair out of my face if I do a mask after I shower. :D

a.min October 1, 2009 at 6:40 pm

well, i remove my makeup before entering shower, but i will only wash my face at the end of shower. no particular reason 4 it, but it seem i am doing something right! yo ho!