Does my favourite cosmetic company test on animals?

in Health,Musings

Please note this information was accurate as at February 2008. Things might have changed  by the time you read this. If it matters to you please check other sites for information. Comments are closed for now.

Animal testing in cosmetics is a huge and controversial topic that I do not intend to get into but I can’t help but notice that there are many people who want to know which companies test on animals and which companies do not test on animals.

Here are 2 online sources where you can find a list of companies that test and do not test on animals. (Animal Testing and Caring Consumer) They are by no means comprehensive as new companies appear every day and company policies do change from time to time.

As a sampling, here’s a list of companies that do not test on animals as at the date of writing (2008):

• Avon
  • OPI
  • Origins
  • Revlon
  • Smashbox Cosmetics
  • Stila
  • The Body Shop

This is by no means an endorsement nor critique but if it matters to you then I hope the information is of use.

Giddy Tiger
February 21, 2008 at 2:29 pm

I try to ensure as far as possible that the products I use are not tested on animals. In fact one of the very main reasons why I didn’t spend my money on SKII is because they do test on animals.

Brandy October 22, 2009 at 6:48 am

That is SO GOOD to know. I just purchased my first SKII product the eye film, and I was about to buy MORE! I will NOT be buying that anymore. I am glad for the info. Thank you!

akiki February 21, 2008 at 9:46 pm

yaya~i am going for non-chemical and no testing on animal products!!!

Rose February 23, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Thank god that the products I used are not tested on animal!! I use Amway, and I love them! Thanks for the information.

jooj February 28, 2008 at 9:23 pm

i read somewhere that some companies will claim not to test on animals. however, as an alternative, they use research from other companies that do test on animals. hence, they’re not really cruelty-free, but rather they’d like people to think they are when in reality they are silent, behind-the-scenes supporters of animal testing. just a thought.

Amanda February 29, 2008 at 5:22 am

Nars/Shishedo… do they do animal testing?
(They’re the same company)

so that means Clinique/MAC/Estee Lauder doesnt do testing either as MAC says they dont?

Oh i know Prescriptives doesnt test on animals, they state it on their website

Anna December 3, 2009 at 3:58 am

Shiseido do test…Clinique, Mac and Estee Lauder don’t. I hate to be self-promoting but please do check out my blog if you get a sec because I constantly update which companies do and don’t test as news comes out and there are extensive lists on there of who do and who don’t. If you don’t see a company you’re curious about then email me and I’ll get to the bottom of it for you!

It makes me so happy to see so many people caring about this very important issue.

Amanda February 29, 2008 at 5:24 am

Prior to my earlier msg: do all of these brands not test on animals? i use a majority of them

Estée Lauder brands include:

Michael Kors
Sean John
Stila (sold)
Tommy Hilfiger
Tom Ford Beauty

Paris Beaverbanks February 29, 2008 at 9:58 am

Giddy Tiger: I found SKII a bit of a rip off 😛 But thats me.

Akiki: That’s good!

Rose: Yay!

Jooj: Yep, there’s that too. The end product isn’t tested but ingredients might be tested on animals. We can never be sure and now with all the hype about animal testing most companies just want to play safe and outsource their ingredients testing. Thanks for your input.

Amanda: I’m not sure about Nars. Different companies (although under the same umbrella company) have different policies. You might want to check the links I provided to check the brands you use.

Stacey March 19, 2008 at 11:07 am

Thank you for this information! I always aim to buy cruelty free. :O)

Chandler March 28, 2008 at 6:08 am

do you know if clinque or benifit brands test on animal?

lulu March 31, 2008 at 1:27 pm

When I called MAC they told me that they do “some” animal testing and “soome” of there products may contain animal by products in them… So just something to think about

Sara April 3, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Actually MAC does have some animal bi products, however, as far as I know they do not test on animals. I’m not sure anymore because big companies are good at hiding stuff.

Vanja April 23, 2008 at 2:49 am

I am from italy, so my english is not very good but i hope you will understand me.
Lulu, you sad that Mac actually does test on animals. Is the same story with Revlon, Estee Lauder and Clarins?

Thank You very much for answer.

Hayat Dhobany June 16, 2009 at 6:59 am

this is not lulu but i have the answer, estee lauder doesnt test on animals and clarins does! revlon doesnt.

Ele April 6, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Where did you find the information about Mac testing on animals? I’ve heard a few different opinions but I’ve never seen any sources.

Anna May 26, 2008 at 11:23 am

Does anyone know if bare minerals tests on animals?

Anna May 26, 2008 at 11:28 am

Stacey said she likes to buy cruelty free… Iagree 1000%!!!!!!!!!!!

Hayat Dhobany June 16, 2009 at 6:57 am

ive always wanted to know if Benefit test on animals too! there is this blush called georgia that i really wanted! and Clinique doesnt test on animals!

michelle July 16, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Big companies state that they do not test their products on animals, but the ingredients contained in their products are tested on animals somewhere along the line. Even The Body Shop, which i was very surprised about. A very good range of make up, which does not test, or have any derivatives from animals is Barry M cosmetics.

Nichole July 18, 2009 at 1:41 am

I just started using cruelty free products. I feel like I’m finally doing something good.

Jacqui November 2, 2009 at 11:36 am

I recently wrote to NARS and they actually responded and assured me that they do not and have never tested on animals.
I hope that’s true…

Joanna February 12, 2010 at 2:15 am

The Body Shop is now owned by the cosmetics giant L’Oreal who test on animals, so in reality the Body Shop are not truely cruelty free.

Sandy February 13, 2010 at 1:47 am

I’ve been emailing cosmetic and hair care companies directly recently. That seems to be the best way to get information. Surprisingly, I’ve found that some of the “cheaper” cosmetic companies DON’T test and are cruelty-free. Jordana and Milani, cosmetics, for example, don’t test anything on animals.

Rosebee February 25, 2010 at 3:32 am

Christian Dior cruelty-free??? That still would not satisfy me, as last I checked he used fur in his clothing collections! Glad to see many others who care.

Maria March 12, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Hi guys,
Just wanted to mention that PETA has a list of all companies that DO and DO NOT test on animals…and if it is not listed I’m sure they can answer your enquiries…

ena March 15, 2010 at 1:18 am

your list is wrong. beiersdorf DOES test on animals. And so does Mac. I am not sure for Donna Karan, Estee Lauder and Trump.

Remy March 21, 2010 at 9:13 pm

so L’Oreal test on animals and they bought The Body Shop in 2006. Thus, The Body Shop is affiliated with animal testing.

Tanya April 1, 2010 at 1:40 am

Does anyone know if Tresemme (Alberto Culver) test on animals? Or the skincare brand Simple (from the UK)? I emailed both companies about a week ago to ask about this but so far neither have responded (which makes me suspect that maybe they do).

I was disappointed to find out recently that Olay, Loreal and Cover Girl all test on animals. I have been using Loreal and Cover Girl products for years, and only recently bought a box of Olay Total Effects. I now no longer want to use it, and I will certainly never purchase Loreal or Cover Girl again.

Sickening really, that Loreal is such a huge company- it makes me think that most consumers must not give a hoot about animal testing. I’m quite sure I read somewhere though that the EU will be banning the sale of products which have been tested on animals from 2013 onwards. Wonder what that means for the likes of Loreal, Proctor and Gamble et al?

Bree April 11, 2010 at 4:42 am

I’ve recently started rating my cosmetic use against not only cruelty-free companies but the It shows a safety level of many products to your personal health.

I use a few L’Oreal products, but have decided to cut back to just one because I heard they refuse to stop testing on animals. I use Revlon foundation in most cases, but am even considering switching to Physician’s Formula or bareEscentuals, as neither companies test on animals and both of the foundations I’m looking at by them are less harmful than Revlon’s ingredients.

Lana V May 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Hi there! I have been chatting to NARS about the animal testing matter and they told that they do not test. However they gave me rather vague answer to my question why the company is not listed on PETA or BUAV lists. The NARS representative told me that those orgs have “at will” polices. So I asked if I got it right and NARS does NOT WISH to be listed on such websites. NARS told me that they have not thought about it and suggested I contacted PETA about it’s polices. So I did. PETA told that they have asked NARS to sigh The No Animal Testing Reassurance in 2005 and NARS has NEVER responded. Not to mention that NARS is owned by Shiseido, big animal TESTING company. So in conclusion even if NARS does not test their products, they do test the ingredients, so the answer would be YES, NARS does test on animals!
So stick to Estee Lauder, Mary Kay (love it!) or Clarins!

Debsinc June 24, 2010 at 8:13 pm

For those of you who don’t want to use products that have anything to do with animal testing, and I applaude you, please be very careful, because the companies tell you they don’t test on animals, when in fact they outsource their testing to companies that test their products for them, on animals. For starters, it says on this site that Nivea (umbrella company Beiersdorf), doesn’t test on animals, but I emailed Nivea just yesterday and asked that question and they admitted that some of their ingredients are from animals, so please don’t just believe everything you read, do your own research. Remember, there is no Govt requirement for them to say on their products that they use animals for testing and just because they say “no animal testing” on their product, does not mean that the ingredients in the product, haven’t been sourced from a company that does test it on animals, which is no different than them doing it themselves in actual fact.

Debsinc June 24, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Here is a site that has some great info on it and a very comprehensive list of which products do use animal products:

gracie July 16, 2010 at 6:24 am

THE BODY SHOP DO test on animals because there makeup is with loreal/lancome

Linda August 2, 2010 at 9:20 am

Although the Body Shop still claims it doesn’t test on animals, in 2006 it was sold to L’Oreal, a company which it seems does test on animals (they don’t say they don’t test on animals, and they don’t respond to claims). I don’t know what has happened more recently, but I stopped buying Body Shop when it was sold to L’Oreal.

Comments on this entry are closed.