Beauty Credit – where men advertise beauty products

in New on shelves,Shopping

1334746181 5d482c99bb Beauty Credit   where men advertise beauty products

If you see this at the entrance to a store, it would be natural to assume that it must be a store selling stuff for men or men’s clothing, or anything men related. The model is by no stretch of imagination, female.

Yet, if you look to the right of the picture and at the picture below, you will notice that this is a store selling beauty and skincare products.

1335630354 1daf375f47 Beauty Credit   where men advertise beauty products

Surprised? I was. I saw this at Vivocity in Singapore but only had time to snap a picture without walking in.

The brand name is Beauty Credit and after doing a quick online search, I saw it is a Korean low end beauty and skincare brand. I would think it would be something like The Face Shop or Missha or Skinfood, which are all Korean low end cosmetics and skincare.

The only difference between Beauty Credit and the other brands is that Beauty Credit uses a male model, even for their instore ads! I have no qualms with a man modeling hair wax or men skincare, but to put a man side by side with makeup is rather strange.

I checked out the site and I’m sorry I don’t recognise the model. I guess I don’t watch enough Korean dramas, but he must be someone big. He even advertises a powder for them. Um….

The men’s range is limited to skincare and is honestly, quite small. The rest of the products, as to be expected, are targetted at women. So, why use a male model?

The mind boggles. I would however, like to check out the products the next time I’m in Singapore. Has anyone tried anything from this line and have something to share?

lola September 6, 2007 at 9:48 pm

hmm, he’s hyun bin who shot to fame in my name is kim sam soon.

well, never ever underestimate the power of a handsome man in advertising women’s pdts!

PB says: Isn’t the internet wonderful? I would never have known who he is!

BionicBeauty September 7, 2007 at 9:36 pm

Hmmm… interesting twist in advertising. I really love seeing new marketing approaches though. Shows that someone out there has a bit wider view and isn’t wearing those over-focused goggles.

BTW, hello! Found you through the new Splendicity.
~Bionic

PB says: Welcome! I thought it was interesting. I”m just curious as to how well received it is.

sesame September 9, 2007 at 3:05 pm

This marketing technique started from Japan. I remember Takuya Kimura advertising for Kanebo lipsticks many years back. It’s a hit! Cos the ladies love these men!

PB says: lipsticks?! o_O I should have seen that LOL

daphne October 7, 2007 at 7:52 pm

The Face Shop actually has a male spokesperson too. I can’t remember his name now, though I used to work for that company. Haha.

Opposites attract, so the hordes of fans (90% women) usually flood the shop.

PB says: Hmm… you may have a point there. Guess it can only work here in Asia though :)

stitch December 28, 2007 at 12:43 pm

The Face Shop uses Kwon Sang Woo, Missha uses Jang Dong Gun. So handsome!!
But i heard The Faceshop will change a new spokeperson next year, most prob as KSW’s popularity is slipping after the heat of “Stairway to heaven” subsides.

Rachel August 16, 2008 at 9:07 am

Hi,
Just asking where can u get beauty credit in KL?

ParisB August 17, 2008 at 11:39 am

@Rachel: I’m not sure we have Beauty Credit in KL. I’ve only seen it in Singapore.

ru November 12, 2008 at 9:04 pm

that is a beauty credit shop at sg.wang.1st floor.