Apple Cider Vinegar Toner – great stuff

in Face,Product Reviews,Skincare,Treatment

A couple of months ago, I had a terrible breakout especially along my chin and jawline area. I tried all sorts of pimple creams but the spots persisted. Then, I suddenly remembered this concoction that I used to make weekly with Apple Cider Vinegar.

Be warned – it smells! So, if you are sensitive to the strong smell of apple cider vinegar, make it with green tea. I’m not too fussed by the smell so I used to make it with just plain water.

This is what you need:-

1. Small glass bottle – vinegar is acidic – use glass. I use an old toner sample bottle
  2. Steep a bag of green tea (any brand) in a cup then when its cool, pour out some into another cup/measuring cup and mix with equal parts of apple cider vinegar i.e. 20ml tea to 20 ml apple cider vinegar
  3. Use as you would a toner after cleansing and before moisturiser.

My skin has cleared up dramatically since I re-discovered my old staple, and in fact, I’ve found that using the green tea seems to be beneficial for my skin too. My skin is clearer and any budding spots are nipped in the bud (no pun intended). I’ve also stopped getting cystic acne (the hard painful bumps under the skin that sometimes never erupt) and my pores seem smaller and finer too. The smell is masked somewhat by the green tea, but not totally so. As I said before, I’m not bothered by the smell.

I’m using it twice a day now, but you can use it only at night if you’d rather. I use a strong facial sunsceen everyday, so I feel alright using this even in the day.

I was told that Braggs is probably the best brand out there for the apple cider vinegar as its unfiltered. Filtered vinegar doesn’t work as well. However, if you know of other brands that are unfiltered you can use them too.

This is natural and chemical and preservative free which should be good for the skin. Also, as its preservative free, I make mine on a weekly basis. I hope this helps someone!

Ms. Blacklace October 4, 2007 at 2:43 pm

There are some fibers in the apple cider. So… Should I shake the container before mixing it? Or do I need to filter them out? Haha. I’m still new at this.

PB says: Apparently, those fibers or “mother” are what make Braggs or any organic apple cider vinegar effective so, I read once that you should shake it up and then put some on the cotton pad, and use the other side of the pad to wipe over your face, if the fibres bother you. I personally just use it as is and its fine. Hope that helps!

Ms. Blacklace October 7, 2007 at 2:46 am

Haha. Thanks so much. I’m using Solana Gold ACV. Hope it’ll clear up my stubborn spots because most of the toners I’ve tried don’t seem to work. You’ll definitely get an update from me.

PB says: Apparently, so long as its unfiltered it’ll work. Do let us know how it goes.

Ms. Blacklace October 14, 2007 at 4:42 am

I’ve been using the apple cider vinegar toner for a week now. And I say, I’m impressed by the results! I stopped getting rashes on my face. You know, those little itchy bumps that appear on places like your forehead. Also, my acne seems to be clearing up. New spots stopped appearing for like…. 5 days now. And my existing spots are starting to heal.

That’s the downside of having fair skin. I don’t have much acne. But when I do have them, it is very obvious. Little red dots on white face. Haha.

I mixed it with cooled down boiled water last week. So now, I’m making my new batch with green tea. It took a little getting used to. Because the smell is so strong. But look on the bright side. The smell cleared my blocked nose.

Also a little recipe for your insides:
– 1 teaspoon of ACV.
– 240ml of water/8oz
– 1 teaspoon of honey [best if it’s an australian brand]

Drink it in the morning when you’re having breakfast. A great way to start your engine.

Oh… and by the way, thanks so much for the tip! I won’t be using any other toner from now on. :)

PB says: Yay! I’m glad it worked for you. Its pretty awesome eh? And thanks for your recipe for drinking it too!

ANDY May 14, 2008 at 7:27 am

I’ve used BRAGG ACV for a while. You take a shower and dry yourself. get a basin and fill it halfway with warm water. Add a half cup of ACV (shake it first) and mix. Take a face cloth and dip it in the basin and scrub your whole body, go light on face, is important to dry yourself with your hands (don’t use a towel) by rubbing them against the body until you are dried. You are going to see your skin peeled off when you start to dry up. Do this, and you will see that after a while your face and body will shine like an apple. It works.

LG387 May 15, 2008 at 6:22 pm

thanks for the recipe on how to make ACV as a toner and morning drink. I will make my own toner tomorrow, hope I can find an organic ACV. Wish me good luck!

lynda August 8, 2008 at 10:10 am

Suddenly I have Alipicia and after all the blood work has come back negitive( Auto-immue,thyroid,hormones) I have been told to take organic ACV and with sage tea( still looking for that) I should use it as a rinse to even the PH of my scalp.Anyone ever use ACV for that?

Kara September 22, 2009 at 11:12 am

I’ve heard that ACV can be used as a clarifying treatment for your hair (2 ways – mixed with black tea as a rinse, or add a tablespoon to your shampoo or conditioner). I personally shy away from using it in my hair because I think it makes my red highlights jump out, and man, I hate those red highlights…
But it does really make your hair feel clean and soft.

ParisB August 8, 2008 at 10:17 am

lynda: I never thought of using it to balance scalp PH but since vinegar is acidic I’m sure it’ll work. Besides if you go for organic apple cider vinegar, its probably better for your hair and scalp than using chemical shampoos. Do let us know if it works for you after you have tried it.

Cate June 30, 2011 at 6:45 am

I tried the no-poo routine where you replace your shampoo with baking soda and ACV and it did wonders for my hair and I haven’t bough shampoo in 3 months now.

Check it out here

queen dixon August 27, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Hello everyone, I just had an idea to use Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with a cotton pad straight on my face. Have been doing it for 2 days. My dark spots on either side of my face and my dark circles under my eyes are clearing up. I did not mix it with anything. Just straight out of the bottle. Try it, this stuff is awesome. To God Be the Glory for his all natural cures. In Jesus name!! Stinks like all get out but it leaves my skin terribly soft and the pigmentation problems are being corrected.

mslad1908 July 14, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I use Bragg ACV and Emu Oil daily and my face is clear. I apply the ACV directly on my face with a cotton ball, let it dry, and apply the oil. I have suffered with cystic acne for over 15yrs. and have seen many dermatolgists so believe me this stuff works. You have nothing to lose but your acne and the ACV costs less than $3.00. It’s way cheaper than an office visit and medication. Also, remember this is all natural so it might take longer for you to see improvements.

Tami October 22, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Hi, I just wanted to ask, would you just take it straight from the bottle with a cotton pad, wipe it on your face and leave it there? Or would you wash it off afterwards? Do you use moisturizer afterwards? Haha, I just want to know if I do it right ’cause I haven’t tried it yet…

Abby October 20, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Um.. but would’nt it make your face… sticky or ‘sweety-sourish’ after using the Apple Cider Vinegar??

i wanna give it a try, but should I use a moisturizer after that?

ParisB October 21, 2008 at 10:10 am

@Abby : Actually, no it doesn’t leave the face feeling sticky. Just very clean. When I use it, I do use a moisturiser after that. It can be drying.

sherri March 14, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I do this too. I actually use a face cloth soaked in some super hot water and rung out. I gently scrub my face with the hot water then dip the corner of the cloth in the little jar of braggs acv I keep near the sink. I gently exfoliate in circles with that. I allow my skin to dry (no rinsing). Gives a fresh “tightening” feeling when it drys. Then I use a dab of Unrefined Shea Butter and moisturize with that (focusing on my cheeks, nose and lips). It appears as though my blackheads around my nose are diminishing as well. I do this in the morning and at night before I go to bed and my skin looks So GOOD!! I also drink 2 tablespoons in an 8oz cup of water each morning on an empty belly. Amazing stuff! God Is Great :o)

Abby October 21, 2008 at 9:34 pm

ooooh~~ thks for the reply! XD
i just bought a bottle today! and i think it smells.. okay… O_O
and i think it’s tasty! :p hehee… but too much will make your throat feel wierd.. ‘tingly’ is the word to describe it i think!
the sudden humongous break outs has really ruined my teenage life.. people would stare at you like you’re some alien.. =_=”
i even STARED at myself like “oh my… this is really wierd..what’s happening to me..”
I thougt i had a disease or something… i scared the day lights out of myself. So then i turned to the internet and i ended up here~! This is awesome~ malaysian women who have gone through the same thing.
oh ya, i was at this website fatfreekitchen. And it said that sodium chloride and some isopropyl can cause acne??? But when i see the ingredients on stuff, and facial wash, most of em have it! =_= … so i tried to find something that doesn’t have those stuff in it… then i found Organic Aid vitamin E foam wash that say it’s hypoallergenic & non-comedogenic… has anyone used it before?

lilac October 27, 2008 at 1:11 am

hye there,
is it really working? this ACV..?
is it suitable for any skin type?
i have bumps on my forehead [i don’t know what it is called]
and it should only be worn at night?

ParisB October 27, 2008 at 10:19 am

@lilac : It works for me. It is not a miracle though so don’t expect immediate results. I only use it at night because it stinks otherwise. Good luck

lilac October 27, 2008 at 12:44 pm

where can i purchase the Bragg ACV?
i would like to try..

ParisB October 27, 2008 at 4:19 pm

@lilac : Try any organic food store or even supermarket.

Rebecca Hubbard November 11, 2008 at 10:35 am

Honestly I’m a little skeptical of trying this. It just seems like the acidity from the apple vinegar would burn and irritate your skin, making it worse. I’ve just broken out on my forehead and I used to have really nice skin. I don’t know what the cause of it is but will this help?

sharon September 17, 2011 at 6:09 am

It might burn a bit with the first application but you will not regret what this stuff does for your skin. Apply at night before bed if your hesitant. Greatly appreciate all the posts, comments and recipes that people freely share to help others. I’m one that tried almost everything, spending way to much on overrated products. Dont hesitate, try it you will like it, so thankful I did. My skin looks great again !!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you everyone !!!!!!!!

ParisB November 11, 2008 at 11:23 am

@Rebecca Hubbard : Actually you are recommended to dilute the vinegar with water – 1 part vinegar to 1 part water. It has helped me and many other girls.

carla February 21, 2009 at 1:28 am

I can’t believe it. I’m going through the same thing. I’ve all of a sudden broken out on my chin. I’m skeptical about trying acv toner. Although I was thinking about doing acv w/ water, and then using a moisturizer that has green tea in it. Hopefully it’ll work. Thanks for the advice.

May February 24, 2009 at 4:45 pm

“This is what you need:-

3. Use as you would a toner after cleansing and before moisturiser.
4. Keep in a cool dark place (my room is usually dark and cool so I keep it there).”

Paris B, when you say to keep it in a cool dark place, i’m guessing that “it” is referred to the mixed concoction of the ACV and the green tea right? So you’re saying that i can use a portion of the mixed concoction and keep the rest in a glass bottle right? And for how long can i keep it up til? I’m really tempted to try this coz i’ve been having these small acnes for a long time and can’t wait to try on your method! 😀

Abby April 28, 2010 at 10:10 am

Erm its bugging me too can i make it once n use it for the week or longer?
How long generally can we keep tis?

ParisB April 28, 2010 at 10:13 am

Once you make it you can keep it up to a week. Preferably not longer and it is best made and used fresh.

Ziyaa April 26, 2009 at 9:50 pm

hey, ive got a question?…would ACV work as well with men…?plz need an answer friends..

ParisB April 26, 2009 at 11:12 pm

I don’t see why it shouldn’t.

Joann May 14, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I want a toner that can help with healing, repairing and hydrating. Can ACD help?

or it actually makes the skin feel dry upon application?

ParisB May 15, 2009 at 9:36 am

Hi Joann

This is not a hydrating toner. It does feel a little dry so it may not suit your needs.

anna September 30, 2011 at 4:59 am

If you need to sooth and moisturize wet your palms and try a few drops of unrefined virgin coconut oil, or just put a drop on wet face after cleansing. Smells nice too. :-)

chumz August 14, 2009 at 12:09 am

I’m going to try it…

Jojo C September 12, 2009 at 3:51 pm

So would normal ACV not work? Cos i have a huge bottom at home, and i feel wasteful if i have to go out and buy an organic one…><

shaynaJo November 19, 2009 at 3:14 pm

hi, just saw this post now.. 😀
i used to use apple cider to cure the stubborn spots / pimples too.. and I used to bluff my sister tat it’s my “god”. ahahha…
yeah… apple cider works really really well!
i remembered a dramatic 1 where i get sort of a patch of stubborn white heads at the side of my cheek and the patch just disappeared the next day after i leave the cotton pad soaked with apple cider + water for 15 mins. Just incredible 😀

shaynaJo November 19, 2009 at 3:52 pm

hi, just saw this post now..
i couldn’t agree more with u…
i used to bluff my sis by telling her tat my cider mixture is my ‘god’. hahah..
a very dramatic experience with this was when i had a patch of stubborn whiteheads which I cant remove with anything i’ve tried… and after I dab the patch with a soaked cotton pad for 15 mins, the patch disappeared the next morning! that’s just so amazing…

ghen January 16, 2010 at 10:48 am

thank you for sharing this to us.
you know…i have a hard time dealing with these stubborn spots in my face!
poor me, i have oily skin T_T

vanilla February 27, 2010 at 3:17 am

ACV is a multipurpose natural remedy not only for clearing up acne but for a total health care. Juz wanna share with u guys. Go to : to explore the miracle inside ACV.

izyan June 3, 2010 at 12:42 pm

thank you for sharing the tips. i can’t wait to try it as a toner. i can also use water instead of mixing it with green tea, right?

ParisB June 4, 2010 at 10:45 am

Yes you can use water too. I usually used water because green tea takes too long 😛

Skylane Vargas May 5, 2011 at 8:26 pm

SKY…May 5, 2011

Hii.Tn’x.God! How amazing the Apple Cider Vinegar! After i read here about the miraculous of ACV i rushed immediately to grocery just to buy ACV and now its only 2 days im using it and i can see the result its so great…One thing I was interested about this after i read is that I’m looking for the remedy for my varicose veins but the thing is not only varicose can make that ACV evything and that makes me amazed…evry morning and night i have to put ACV to my variocse and also drink it and for only 2 days im using i feel different…So thankful,now i have confident to make my varicose and pimples will be gone soon…Thank you for this ACV and its work for me very fast…

miss d May 23, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Hye. I want ask, i’m gastrik,this product suitable for gastrik person?

ParisB May 23, 2011 at 12:34 pm

To consume, please check with your doctor. For the face (as this post is all about) its not an issue.

Moni June 27, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Hi. Can I use it close to the eye area? Thats where I have some pigmentation. I am drinking a cup of ACV every morning with honey and it works well for my body and scalp. My scalp cleared and I dont have as much junk food cravings :). I never tryed it on my face yet.

Thank you.

flake July 7, 2011 at 7:29 am

Hey, thank you so much for this !! I’ll try this tonight..been stressing so much about my skin lately. It use to be fine until i started breaking out with pimples and just spots and what not :( Hasnt been clear at all. I went coles and noticed they only had this one brand of ACV…i dont think it was unfiltered..coz it looked clean..should i still try it??

August 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Can we used this ACV toner for eyelids and under eye also? Is it safe? Thanks PB
MrsRance recently blogged…Please vote Mutiara Andaraputri for Parenting Cover Hunt 2011My Profile

ParisB August 22, 2011 at 10:52 am

Its not advisable.

clarisse August 26, 2011 at 4:35 pm

i have three big large pores is apple cider vinegar can make it close? what steps will i do? thnaks!

ParisB September 4, 2011 at 11:29 am

Nothing can close pores, only make them look less visible and this toner will not do it.

Penny Q October 8, 2011 at 9:32 am

Do i need to clean my face after applying ACD? Or just leave it without washing away. Tks

October 10, 2011 at 12:37 am

Just leave it on and continue with the rest of your skincare.

???shine October 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Hello Everyone,

I think this thread is a bit old, but I have recently moved to Japan. I am a black woman from the Caribbean and I have recently broken out with horrible cysts, blackhead etc. I have been looking all over for somethin that would help get rid of the marks/scars left behind. Today is my first day in using the Hadalabo Gokujyun Light.

Can this cider concoction work for me, a woman of color? Any help woud be greatly appreciated.

Thanks :)

October 20, 2011 at 9:55 am

As far as I know, apple cider vinegar does not get rid of marks. It can help reduce blemishes e.g. pimples, acne but does not do much for marks.

Seanshine October 18, 2011 at 8:16 pm

.. sorry I forgot to add that I had just purchased what I think may be a mark lightening cream. Has anyone heard of Melano CC?? I haven’t used it yet. Just wanted to know what it is before I go doing harm to my complextion.

Thanks :)

Meliza December 31, 2011 at 2:35 pm

The ACV mixture i wont mind using on other acne prone areas such as my back and chest, but on my face i prefer using witch hazel and the green tea on my sensitive eye area *-*

Meliza December 31, 2011 at 2:39 pm

As for marks i recomend garneir fructis products more specifically the detoxing clenser with the rubber brush lid. That product got rid of 100% of the marks on my forehead and about 85% on my cheeks (which i discovered were little black heads)

elize June 16, 2012 at 5:54 pm

My face normally becomes super oily after a few minutes of washing. So, I tried this ACV toner today after reading about it. I washed my face first with Cetaphil then prepared 1 part Heinz ACV and 4 parts filtered water then dab the mix all over my face. 10 minutes, 30 minutes and even hour has passed and my face wasn’t oily as before. It was really shocking! I’ve never seen my face so clean. ((: I can still feel a little grease on my face but not as worse as before. Thanks for this wonderful info..

Charlotte September 13, 2012 at 7:53 am

“budding spots are nipped in the bud (no pun intended)”

…That…wasn’t a pun. That was just using the same word twice to describe the exact same thing. The English teacher in me would like to discount you 10 points, but I’ll let it slide on account of learning useful information. ;P

Maggie April 10, 2013 at 10:30 am

Hi there, i tried the apple cider vinegar toner and i actually got a negative reaction. i’ve had small, red rashes all over my cheeks down to my jaw. i was thinking maybe it’s just because i didn’t dilute the acv enough so i am now trying a 1part acv 8 parts water solution. i am also using virgin coconut oil at night as my moisturizer as it also has amazing effects. i am still watching my skin for any positive change. so far, it is still the same except that the rashes have started to dry up. I am now not sure if i should continue using it (might just be taking out all the impurities before stabilizing my skin?) or just stop. any advice?

Daryll August 28, 2015 at 8:46 am

Ive gone through a lot of reasearch about using ACV as a skin toner. Mostly they recommend “BRAGG” apple cider vinegar because it is unfiltered. Unfortunately, I only have the filtered one coz I dont seem to find the unfiltered ACV here on my place. Is it still okay to use the filtered ACV as an alternative ? Does this still work like it could still balance the PH thingy on my face 😀 ? BTW, I have the Heinz ACV. Thanks :)